A spicy mixture of several fine Virginia tobaccos, blended with Oriental varieties. Vital and exciting with a wealth of taste and aroma.

Notes: Discontinued Blend. Last production was in Denmark.

BrandDobie's
ContentsOriental/Turkish, Virginia
Strength
Taste
3.2
straightgrain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
straightgrain (6)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This review is taken from a tin I'd estimate to be between 15-20 years old.

Orientals are the first thing you notice, with the flavor starting out slightly tart but not bitter. After just the first few minutes, the Latakia becomes more pronounced, developing the wine like characteristics you'd find in a good Syrian Latakia (sweet, creamy & chewy).

At the bottom half of the bowl, the flavor deepens even more and takes on a nice spiciness. All the flavors & characteristics come into play as you near the bottom of the bowl, alternating between spicy, deep, tart and chewy.

Overall, it?s a smooth and cool smoke throughout, with no hint of bitterness, heat or mustiness sometimes found in Oriental mixtures.

The aroma is slightly malty, deep, spicy & woodsy, becoming more pungent and deep towards the bottom half of the bowl.

Tins of Dobie's London Mixture show up occasionally on e-bay and usually go for a reasonable price; I'd recommend you pick up a tin if you have the chance.

big rog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
big rog (3)

At least 10 years old this blend has mature well and I was extremely lucky to get my hands on some tins . I remember this one originally as being a little on the harsh side and not being one of my favourite latakia blends. It has become a lot smoother and richer tasting as the latakia has become less prominent without loosing the sense of being an English Mixture .As I get further down the tin the more it seems to improve . This happy acquisition has convinced me that cellaring is something that I should concentrate on ,as if aging a blend that I did not really like has the effect of making it one that I love ,what will it do to one I really love .

Pipe Used: Dunhill shell sitter

Age When Smoked: At least 10 years

Purchased From: unknown

Similar Blends: Dunhill 965 ,but only after a long maturing.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (118)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A blast from the past. The tin is emerald green and golden, made in Great Britain. The Latakia is definitely there but very subdued due to the aging. The Virginias and Orientals are more pronounced. The tobacco is pleasant, smooth and I consider myself lucky to be smoking an original English mixture.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)

Again, a shame that Four Square is not available anymore...

The contents section in the description is wrong. This tobacco contained Latakia, and a good proportion.

This was my first English mixture ever. And it was love at first smell!

A bit overwhelming in taste but this is when I realized that unaltered tobaccos were a lot better than cased tobaccos.

Ratcat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ratcat (30)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I have been smoking a tin of this for the last three months. I am half way through it. Too bad it is put of production cause this is pretty good for a change of paste. It is a mild smoke, not much flavoring. There is a hint of oriental, lakatia and whikey(?) kind of taste to it. But it remains very mild. What is good about this one is smooth. Maybe it is an old tin therefor it is smooth. I don't know. It leaves a silky texture in mouth. This stuff is pretty good to start the day with and actually it can only be a starting smoke because of its extrem mild character. And since it lacks flavor, I tend to pump it up a bit and it did not bite. But somehow the nic is there. Not much flavor but getting a small hit. But if you are already doing full english mixes (or any other non toppped full mixes) this is like tasteless steam. But for a casual switch of taste this is a fine one after meals and/or first smoke. And in the shop which I got these, they have a few more tins left in diffrent colors. Maybe I will get get some of them for collection purposes.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

I have recently been smoking a tin of Dobie's London Mixture that was put up in 1998. As the blend is no longer available, and I have never smoked a newer vintage, I have no idea how this blend would taste fresh out of the tin.

The tobacco I smoked reminded me very much of a deeper and fuller Pease Mephisto or a less sweet and fuller McClelland Bombay Court. It has become a favorite morning tobacco and smokes well in all kinds and sizes of pipes, including meerschaums. The taste is lightly sweet, rich, and deep, and at about the halfway point often becomes completely delicious. If this blend were still available, I'd buy more, but as it is, I'll hold my one remaining tin for a special occasion. Well worth trying if you run across some and are a bit open-minded about the "Danish English" experience. Unlike some Danish blends with Latakia that I have tried, this one never bites and renders the full amplitude of the English tobacco experience well.

Although the taste is a bit "aromatic," the aroma is decidedly not, in the opinion of my long-suffering wife.

This is no Nightcap, or ever anything close, but it is one of the best renderings of the "crossover English" blend that I have run across.

tillmanj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tillmanj (73)

To the best of my knowledge, this blend, along with the rest of the Dobie's line, is no longer produced, so perhaps this review will only be of historical significance, but here it is anyway.

London Mixture is a "rich blend of Virginia and other choice tobaccos". Those other choice tobaccos are likely Basma and Ynedidje, perhaps with a bit of Syrian Latakia thrown into the mix.

The predominant flavors of this blend are really the orientals and the smokiness of the latakia. The virginias do kind of sit in the back for the first half of the bowl and build up a nice spiciness in the background, which intensifies throughout the bowl.

This is a nice change of pace from the normal 'london mixture' available today, but alas, it is no longer made, and may be hard to find. If you do find a tin though, give it a try.

mailman 5000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mailman 5000 (60)

A blend that uses spicy in the description. Well it's a fair mixture with some interest, but, spicy. I beg to differ . To a Dane used to aromatics maybe. It's O.k but this would not be my first choice. Worth a try if you can find it, as once again I have a feeling this ones history in the UK at least.

Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Dobie green label is a sensational Virginia/Oriental blend. Light on the Orientals, but certainly detectable with the tingling glow of spice. Also in the traditional Danish fashion, the blend is moderate on the flavor and strength meter, offering the smoker an exception smoke without a slap to the face.

A unique thing about this blend was the unusual spice flavor I detected, particularly during the first part of the bowl. Once I reached the bottom half, it was gone.

If you want a palate pleaser with a bit of flavor and no bite, get yourself a tin!