Rich and Aromatic, an old favorite.

BrandTheodorus Niemeyer
ContentsBurley, Cavendish, Virginia
CountryNL
Strength
Taste

1.8

I first tried Flying Dutchman nearly 30 years ago. As a medical resident I was attending a conference and the speaker (chief pathologist at the hospital) came in smoking a pipe. When the aroma hit me it immediately brought back the memory of what my great grandfather's pipe smelled like when he smoked. I wanted to know what the blend was so I passed by the speaker's office after the conference. I spied, literally, dozens of 50g tins of Flying Dutchman stacked up against one wall. He could have been a wholesaler for all I knew!

I bought my first 50g tin at a Rite Aid, I believe. The tin aroma had the most subtle hint of what I perceived as vanilla, unlike any other vanilla blend I have ever experienced before or since, as well as another sweetness I can't seem to place. It was fresh and consisted of a thin ribbon cut tobacco with the tiniest curls of tobacco I have ever seen. I assume those were the oriental curled tobaccos used in some Dutch Cavendish blends. As a novice pipe smoker of a few years I was in for a trial - by fire. It burned fast, hot, and my tongue was sore for I don't remember how long! I was determined to tame this beast (that's how good the room note was at the conference), and it took me a while at that! With this blend I learned the gentle art of sipping while I smoked. I would liken it to a lion tamer working with his animals. One needs to be prepared once the cage door closes behind you.

The 50g tins seemed to be the freshest of all its packaged forms. The 14oz can (in a twist-tied plastic bag) was a bit drier, and the pouch was always totally dry as straw - and I have been through many a pouch. There was always a pleasant, but subtle tin/pouch aroma of tobacco and that ghost of vanilla in all three varieties. Pleasurable to smoke, and with slow smoking, I would on occasion get a whiff of that wonderful room note. Very much to my liking and to those around me.

With the passage of time comes change. Along with a change in the package art, Flying Dutchman has limited availability, and when available, only in the 14oz can. I don't feel the need to hunt it down. Troost Special Cavendish has now taken its place; in room note and taste, but without that hint of vanilla. Flying Dutchman gave me many pipe bowls of smoking pleasure over the years, and for now, the nostalgia of pleasant memories. Who knows, perhaps one day the Dutchman's and my path will cross once again.

SFC/E7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SFC/E7 (93)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

As I reminiscence back to the early 60?s this was my tobacco of choice, this tobacco went with me during my military days and still today I enjoy a bowl of Flying Dutchman. Smoke it slow, keep your pipe cool and enjoy it longer.

FrJacob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FrJacob (3)
Extremely Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Flying Dutchman is a wonderful tobacco unlike any other. I have a pleasure in smoking it unmatched by my enjoyment of any other tobacco ? and (on separate occasions), I do also love the heavier latakia blends, each for themselves as well as other types of blend ? but for me Flying Dutchman is special. ?In the day? you?d walk into a drugstore (or in my case into the Navy Exchange), and FD was the best tobacco in the place ? generally, it was the only tinned tobacco there. You?d open the tin and in the eye of the white accordion paper was a clear piece of cellophane which, when you pulled it out, stuck to the moist and VERY firmly packed tobacco underneath. No other tinned tobacco I've ever smoked has been as firmly packed at it was in a tin. You?d have to pluck the finely cut cavendish out with your fingers, bit by bit, and then fill you pipe in stringy pinches. Filling a pipe with FD in it?s proper condition was not like loading any other tobacco I?ve smoked. The object was (in this not unlike other tobaccos, but different in the details because of it?s moist and finely stringy nature), unlike the same process with other tobaccos.

After a 20 year haitus I returned to the pipe. I?d smoked Flying Dutchman ,almost exclusively, twenty years before. One of the reasons I stopped smoking was due to my inability to get Flying Dutchman in a tin. FD in a pouch was generally dry (maybe not so across the water?), and was unsmokable. I never bought the cans in those days for the same reason. Adding a slice of apple or a humidifying tab did not FULLY restore the tobacco to it?s original condition. I don?t know when the 50g tin was finally dropped, so I can?t say it started that far back ? probably they gradually phased it out with the tin and pouch both available for a time;, but definitely, the pouch-packed tobacco now received is too dry to smoke comfortably (for me).

Almost any aromatic tobacco, after all is generally smoked more moist than non-aromatic tobaccos, but Flying Dutchman must be smoked more moist than most aromatic tobaccos and the pouch does not keep the tobacco at the proper smoking moisture. It can be moisturized and smoked, of course (I now put two moisturizing coins in the pouch as soon as I open it, and I replace them three or four times, trying the tobacco out each time until it?s right ? once it starts to stick to your fingers, it?s about right).

Now when you tamp Flying Dutchman (and you probably will have to tamp, and quite possibly relight it to make it to the bottom of the bowl), just very gently lower the tamp to the bottom of the fluffy ash ? no further; because you don?t want to pack the bottom tobacco at all beyond the way you?ve (hopefully) properly packed it in the first place. The object is not to end up with a damp and unburnable mass at the bottom. With practice this can be avoided, but often you may (as I do), have to empty your pipe furtively so as not to embrass yourself before non-aromatic (or perhaps more specifically, non Flying Dutchman) smokers who do not have this problem, at least not to this degree. So, when your ashtray fills wil dottles of Duchman, know that you?re not alone. It comes with the territory.

Peter Stokeby?s ?Natural? is similar to Flying Dutchman in some respects, not with regard to the peculiarities just mentioned, but with regard to it's general background flavor; but Duchman has a subtlety of its own that is evidently missed by many. Good as it is in its own right, PS?s Natural is missing the distinctive flavor I?ve always enjoyed in Flying Dutchman. But some of that flavor is gone due to packaging ? that, it seems to me is simply an objective fact. It was always lost by drying out and it still is. For that reason, I call on the brotherhood of the briar to email Theodorus Niemeyer at consumentenservice@niemeyer.nl and make the case for bringing back the tin, once and for all! Packed as it was of old it, richly deserved four stars ? in my opinion, this is simply due to the loss of oils that come of the drying-out process. Even taking all this into account, I?d like to give a solid three stars to Flying Dutchman even as it is now.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a classic old aromatic that is easy to appreciate. The smoking characteristics are great and the smoke nice and light. There is a complexity here if you want to look hard enough, one you don't see in many drugstore blends. There are hints of some oriental leaf- for a second I even thought I might have detected the ghost of some latakia?!! The casing is minimal and seems very natural and tasty. Watch the first half of the bowl as it can sting you pretty good. The second half calms down however, leaving you with a great smoking experience. Definitely the top of the pile where drugstore pouches are concerned.

The licorice topping is lightly perfumey. The black cavendish plays a minor role with a typical vanilla taste while the gold cavendish is a little honey-like. The burley is barely nutty, and the Virginia is very grassy/hay-like. There’s an herbal/spicy quality to it that becomes uncomfortable half way into the smoke. Added to that is this blend being a shag cut and burns fast, it’ll burn your mouth if you puff at anything but a slow sip. The peppery tongue sizzle gets stronger as you smoke it down, and some harshness creeps in at the finish. I realize some of these characteristics are often present in Danish aromatics, but this is more annoying than most others I have smoked where it wasn't so bothersome. Even slow sipped, it started getting to me. Even if it was still in production, I couldn’t recommend it.

Nothing grandiose to it, the pouch aroma reminds me a lot of Clan Aromatic and Sail Green.

The cut is different than Clan, much broader. there is not a lot of Black Ca, it's mostly BU and VAs.

It fills in easy, lights up well but be very careful with your smoking cadence. You need to smoke FD very prudently and don't even attempt to smoke outside because I think your tongue will get it.

Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

Chestnut brown crimp cut in the tin with a fairly heavy tin aroma of licorice. Came rather dry and took to the match like it was doused in gasoline. Flavor started out mild but the tongue bite that seems to be this ones heritage came out quickly. Not a full-fledged bite but a healthy tongue sizzle that felt like pepper had been poured on my tongue. Most unpleasant, and slowing down my puffing cadence to a point that I found irritable did not tame the sizzle.

If that were not enough, the licorice-vanilla flavor became wearing early in the bowl. Along with the sizzle, it felt like my tongue was coated with a graininess that required some effort to remove. To sum up, I found no redeeming features to this one and could only tolerate 3 bowls. This one is best forgotten and it looks up at one star on my personal grid... somewhere around 0.75 stars.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (120)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

Not the same as it was back in the 70's, I was told. I wasn't alive back in the early 70's, but I can tell you the blend of today will never be placed in my pipes again. A scorcher for sure.

azguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
azguy (18)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I received this blend along with a Wally Frank pipe offer (25cents, a long time ago). The pipe was a briar screw-in type that fit onto a nylon shank. The shank proved to be he best smoke of the entire offer.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (106)
Extremely Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

It has been a few years since this stuff has been available. I've seen copies available but I doubt they are comparable. The taste of the original blend was mild and the room note was fabulous. Unfortunately, as some have already noted, it bit like a rabid dog.

B.Sur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
B.Sur (2)
Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my first review, and it will probably be the most negative one i am going to write Actually i registered to prevent people from buying flying Dutchman.

I,ve smoked quite a few tobacco's, and i have never felt buyers remorse before, most of the better tobacco's do have their time of the day or season of the year. i,ve never thrown away tobacco before,but i was even afraid of blending with it. I kept the tin for 7 years, i thougt aging would be good for it. but actually, after those 5 years nothing has happened with this stuff. it looks the same, feels the same, it even smokes the same way. Hot and tasteless it is, maybe a very long claypipe will tame it and give some taste when drawing mouths full of smoke. but as most of us are Briar lovers, i surely would not recommend this rolling tobacco to burn out our precious pipes.

The guy who gave this blend 2 times 4 stars must be involved in the Niemeier/Orlik company, or dates from the 17th century.

Now' up to the friendly reviews.

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (81)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

A very finely shredded tobacco, that reminds me of cigarette shag tobacco. It smells so good in the tin that you'll want to put it under your pillow at night. The room note is sweet and smells like Christmas cookies. BUT, this tobacco blend will bite you so hard that you may have a real burn on your tounge and not even be able to taste BUTTER for a week. Be warned, this blend has to be petted or will violently bite.Don't even bother petting it, throw this rubbish as far away from you as you can.

colt25314 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
colt25314 (41)
Extremely Mild Extra Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable to Strong

How can anyone resist a a blend called the Flying Dutchmen? The answer is once they get the smack burned off their toungs and have to leach the flavoring from their pipe over days of careful applications of grain alchol. Perhaps it would taste better with a charcoal 9mm filter. I will leave this question unanswered for me.

Percy Dovetussel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Percy Dovetussel (7)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

My first experience with Flying Dutchman was due to my High School History teacher leaving the school room full of the pleasant smell that this blend produced. It was also a blend that was heavily advertised, especially in Playboy magazine where it was considered as a fashionable mixture for the smart set. It is true that the tin was vastly superior to any pouch format. It is also true that the tobacco failed miserably when the Tin was scuttled in favor of the pouch. Personal experience found the room full of flavor but with a tongue lashed constant search for a companion pitcher of Iced Tea to stem the tide of bitedom. The brand smoked hot inside the pipe.

There is no doubt that the pleasing aroma was the major factor for continuing with the product, but the appearance of a rival sailing vessel, "Borkum Riff" outgunned the Dutchman in the battle for Pipe tobacco supremacy. The Dutchman eventually struck her colors and survivors awash on the shore barely remember the Dutchman's effectiveness in easing through a winter afternoon by the fire.

Recommended only for veteran seadogs if they still have an unopened tin leftover from the era of "The Normal Recreation of Noble Minds".

Fr.Jacob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fr.Jacob (2)
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

11-Jun-2010 Update: True Flying Dutchman has returned! Theodorus Niemeier sold rights (& their tobacco crinkling machine too, I think), to Orlik & it's being made in Denmark. It smokes cooler than what TM had been sending to the USA in those non-airtight pouches. To me it tastes the same as it did in the old 50gm tin-days. It is not being imported to the US, but can be ordered at http://wwmarkt.de/Pfeifenshop/ where Lothar Wasko will take good care of you. Be sure to get set up to no pay tax as a non German citizen, too!

In Pipesmoking a 21st Century Guide, R.C.Hacker gives an objective description of the Dutchman: "An old time classic tobacco. ...Finely cut & easy to pack in a pipe, it is not for someone who smokes rapidly, as the tobacco will start to burn hot. Rather, it is for the slow and methodical person who likes a woodsy flavor that is mild but not light." An excellent pipe tobacco for those trying to deepen their powers of restraint and powers reflection, I find it requires careful packing and the frequent LIGHT touch of a tamper. It's room note is pleasant, but not sweet. It is without parallel.

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

All this talk about what certainly is a venerable and distant blend got me thinking, for this was one of the first tobaccos I ever smoked--well over 30 years ago--but I had not put my two cents in, although I've made some reference to it in other reviews.

Yes: due to the thin ribbon cut--almost cigarette like--and the absence of moisture, it tends to burn hot and fast, and may produce a sever case of tongue bite. That was one the reasons I quit smoking it.

Within this range of classic Dutch blends, I much prefer Clan, which I find more palatable and easier to smoke. But the Flying Dutchman does have a very clearly defined tobacco structure, not unlike some of the French blends (like Caporal), that seem to be made from sun-cured leaf. Flying Dutchman has a certain piquancy that used to tickle my nostrils, and it did leave an abrasive sensation in palate, mouth and throat.

The aroma--not as strong as Clan's but along the same lines--was very elegant and cozy in that Old World-European tradition: nothing fancy or cloyingly sweet, but subtle, refined and inviting. Yet, one must learn to smoke this leaf in order to appreciate its nuances.

Uban Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uban (34)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

I tried this maybe forty years ago in one of my first pipes. Loved the smell but the bite was unbearable. I recently opened a pouch of this that had lain at a shop for maybe six years or more. Straight, it was pleasantly flavored - & I generally don't smoke aromatics - but it was OK! Good sweet fruity aroma for the crowd, but not much taste. Mixed the rest with some Altadis Jamestowne Vanilla left from a sample & was bowled over by the change. Actually flavorful & nice (& cool) enough for an English/Balkan smoker. I have now had enough aromatic to last me another forty years. Should have read Sopwith's review first - I called it Jamestowne Dutchman!

pop-pop's pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop-pop's pipe (96)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

A blend of twelve tobaccos? I can't taste it. Tastes like burley, oriental, and very little Virginia to me. It smokes cool and burns nice. The aroma is pleasant and it satisfies the nicotine crave. It just lacks flavor and richness.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

You look up DUTCH CAVENDISH in Noah Webster's Smokers' Dictionary, and you'll see they've got a picture of this next to the entry. It is a typically mild, clean-palate aromatic, that can actually be quite flavorful, unless "flavour" to you means "Latakia". As is often the case with the better steamed Cavendish, there is a pleasant light spiciness; the Dutch actually add more at the lower end of the spectrum than the "warm air" Danes, and a certain intensity develops if you let your pipe smolder quietly.

The cut is as narrow as shag, but is actually a long, thinly sliced ribbon; it did not overheat for me.

If you cared to read my SAIL reviews, you know that I kind of like this type of Dutch bonne-bouche. I like SAIL better, but this old favourite will be anjoyed by anyone who can appreciate a quality aromatic. Surely the legions who have smarmed over HADDO's DELIGHT?like yours truly?would not decline to be counted in that number?

Shawn_M Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shawn_M (43)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Although this has been a staple for several years now I have to be honest; it can bite. It makes up for that in its wonderful aromatic aroma when I open a pouch, and the taste as I begin lighting. It helps if it is packed more firmly than other blends as it seems to keep it from buring too hot. The room aroma is the best part, after I have finished smoking I often go outside for a few minutes then come back so I can smell the spicy, (almost peppery) scent.

Its not for everyone I admit, but if you are looking for something different then this it the one.

Watson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Watson (20)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Ha ha... I agree with "scotty815" as he wrote: "pencil shavings". Stay away, save your money... there are so many blends that worth!

I remember smoking this blend many years ago when it was a fine shag cut like Five Brothers is now. I love the name and packaging but the newer version is just not like the old one was. This one really reminds me of the flavor of Field and Stream. Almost a Chrystal Mint type of aromatic. It is not bad, it's just not great like it once was. It hs become a ribbon cut in the pouch, with a sweet aroma in the pouch and a little tartness. It packs well and burns very well, staying lit with a nice puff cadense. This one could burn the tongue if puffed to fast but at a normal puff rate, I find it not hot at all. It does not burst with flavor, kinda like smoking a flavored VA. It has a very nice room aroma, and is not cloying. It burnd slow if you let it and smokes all the way down to the bottom with some dottle but little moisture. They should have left this one alone, I would say try it if you can get it, but not worth going out of your way for. I was sent some to try by a buddy in Abu Dhabi as it's not available in the US.

p4p4 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p4p4 (52)

Not for beginners, it smokes HOT just if you aren't able to smoke slowly, but this is a your problem, not a tobacco problem ! Very fresh flavour, with tonka (something like mint-vanilla- liquorice-herbs), well rounded and very good burning qualities. Maybe a monodimensional smoke, but in the relaxing way ! Mix it with a sumatra cigar : it will increase strenght and taste !

Bub Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bub (18)

Not too bad but I don't like it enough to ever buy it again. Just wanted to try it.

BBlevins Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BBlevins (102)

I suppose this tobacco is ok...IF YOU LIKE TO SMOKE HOT COALS! Horrible. Simply horrible.

ithomka Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ithomka (8)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Great tobacco but not for beginners and aromatic fans. Very good tobacco for the lovers of dutch style blends.

bent-1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bent-1 (32)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Scorched my pallet, couldn't touch a pipe for 3-days afterwards. Tried multiple times there after, in a cob & a meer, same roasted tongue. I'm mostly a VA smoker, with occasional bowls of Carter Hall/PA & an English blend (such as Penzance), hot blends usually don't bother me.

But Fry-ing Dutchman is a blow torch. Shame really, as it has a decent taste. Reminds me of eating hot peppers, you'll pay dearly afterwards.

0-stars

tonyg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonyg (103)
Extremely Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

What was once a wonderful tobacco is now a masochist's dream come true. If I were forced to smoke this stuff, I might very well offer to trade places with the Flying Dutchman. Well, almost.

constantsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
constantsmoker (61)

This was quite a surprise (and disappointment) for me (sigh!), having smoked an earlier incarnation of this blend 25-30 years ago. It burns HOT, like something straight out of a paper shredder. I hope that Niemeyer gets their act together on this product, at least until medical technology succeeds in providing affordable tongue transplants. Fortunately, it doesn't seem to be as widely available as in olden days.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)

Flying Dutchman has been treated somewhat harshly. After a gap of nearly twenty years I smoked a tinful recently, with hardly any memory of its taste. It is a mildly flavoured aromatic of middling quality. Since I got my tin as a gift I am unable to comment on the price/quality ratio. In extremis - say when the choice is limited to Borkum Riff or Captain Black - I would certainly buy Flying Dutchman, even though there are no Wagnerian notes present, nor a redeeming Senta.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)

Prior to trying a tin of this blend, I was told many horror stories about how dry the tobacco was in the pouched version. I found this was not the case with the tin. It came well packed in a plastic bag inside of the tin. It is ribbon cut, much like 1-Q and smells a lot like Orlik Golden Sliced. If packed properly, it will light with one match and stay lit.

Ok, that was the positive aspects. On the negative side, this tobacco bites like an injured dog. Not at all worth the pain and suffering.

Wriggles Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wriggles (44)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I used to smoke Flying Dutchman regularly 30 years ago, when you could buy the 3 oz tin for 85 cents. At that time, it was a great, great tobacco. Recently, I bought several pouches when I visited a distant city. I was overjoyed.

On opening the package, the tobacco packed like straw. Lighting up, this stuff bit like a bulldog, and the taste was very harsh. Really awful. I'll never buy this tobacco again. No wonder it's not sold in drugstores anymore.

BEN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BEN (58)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

You want to try Flying Dutchman but cannot find it in your local shops? Then find the nearest farm and go into their barn and pack some fresh straw into your pipe..light up experience what may actually taste BETTER and burn your mouth LESS than Flying Dutchman!! A truly horrible tobacco.....my Flying Dutchman flew right into the trashcan!!

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

Simply unpleasant to smoke. No flavor to speak of, massive tongue bite and this turned sour almost immediately. Don't bother.

Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

This blend may very well be the reason the Dutch favored those long clay pipes. They keep your tongue as far as possible from the blast furnace in your pipe!

All kidding aside, this stuff can be way too dry if you get an old pouch. If you know someone who smokes this out of the tin, see if they will share a bit with you, and see if you like it. It is an extremely mild cavendish. Fruity with a hint of spice. For me it is just too boring. The same company makes Sail, and those blends are regal in comparison to Flying Dutchman. It is quite expensive in my neck of the woods, and I won't be buying any more.

I mixed a pouch of this with Altadis' gold burley, and it turned out nicely. I jokingly call it The Burley Dutchman. It burns cool and smells nice.

This blend, by Theodorus Neimeyer, is quite typical of the Dutch style of tobacco blending. It is a fine ribbon cut tobacco and so it lights and burns easily, but can bite the tongue quite a bit if burned too hot. Smoke it slowly and the aromatic notes come through in a pleasant and understated way. Like many Dutch blends it relies to a large extent on Golden Cavendish and has this tobaccos freshness, but the blend is complex and there is much more than just Cavendish here. The room note is sutble,pleasing and soft certainly "wife friendly". Overall a fairly decent smoke without aspiring to greatness - one to enjoy ocassionally, but not one that could be included in my all time favourite list

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)

Hotter than a two doolar pistol! This crappy weed will burn your tounge so bad that you'll have to eat cream pudding from a straw. Be warned, it's a furnace! The cut is cigarette shag,and sucks. My dog said he wouldn't smoke this stuff.

update-

I can't believe Frjacob wrote a Novel about this crap. I have to agree with another here about the twelve tobaccos composing this blend. Like hell there are 12 tobaccos making this up, Six pinches of Burley,and six pinches of Virginia Cavendish sweetened with pure white sugar,yea,maybe.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Great room note, however this will turn your tounge into chared cinders. If you want to experience a good aroma will melting your tounge this is the blend!

ilDominante Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ilDominante (11)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Now, this one is one of my all time favourites. I smoked this the first time when I was 9 years old (no, I am not kidding). Since then it became my usual pipe tobacco, which my dad and I enjoyed often in front of the fireplace or near the beach. I remember that until the early 90s it was sold in a round tin, like most quality tobaccos. Then they started putting it in pouches and the price started growing. Notice I am talking about European markets here. Now, 10 years ago the tobacco was moist, cut in thin ribbons and very aromatic. The room note was very pleasant and was appreciated by many non smokers when they entered my study back in Europe.

When I moved to the US I had the luck of finding it again, 4 years ago. It was sold in a pouch. When I opened it the smell was the same, but not at all inhebriating, like I remembered it being. When I pulled it out and started loading my pipe I was really surprised. This tobacco smelled the same, looked the same, but felt completely different. The moisture was (and is) gone, thus instead of the pleasant and slow burning bowl I expected, I got my tongue badly burned. I tried buying it again in other shops, thinking it was just a bad batch, but so far all the pouches I found contained this very dry version of Flying Dutchman. This tobacco certainly contains oriental mixtures you can smell it as soon as you light up. In Italy and France it is one of the most prized tobaccos sold in specialty shops.

But the oriental notes are very difficult to perceive if the tobacco is smoked faster than a little draw per minute (in the dry version). Plus the bowl lasts very little time. I don't know why this tobacco evolved to this new dry version, but when I visit Europe again I'll make sure to try the batches sold there and see if it is as dry as the one sold here in the US. Meanwhile I'll add the moisture artificially (half of an apple in a ziploc bag with the tobacco, or just a spray of filtered water).

augiegus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
augiegus (48)
Mild to Medium Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I went to a local store here in the rural midwest which sprang up after the cigar boom, and hoped to get a tinned tobacco. No luck the guy who knew very little said he did not know why they quit carrying them... after he found out from me thatthey used to and quite a few companies sell tobacco just in the tin. Where do they find these guys? The only thing that seemed close to a good quality of tobacco was Flying Dutchman. Once again the already posted reviews do it justice. I did not notice any flavor but was able to not burn my tongue. I feel it is a good quality of tobacco but it was rather bland. I am sure that a dose of nicotine is entering my system and this will hold me over till my new order arrives via snail mail. On the bright side that order contains GL Pease Cairo which after reading the reviews and trying this blend has me sitting on the edge of my seat. This blend does stoke the fires of anticipation like no other. Yep that bland.

Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Owwwwwchhhh! This is one hot tamale!

I opened the pouch to discover a finely cut, very dry tobacco. It packed easily and lit easily and from the very first puff it, well, it burned like hell!

I have no idea how anyone can smoke this without a palate guard, a tongue sheath and a bit of a twisted nature.

If self inflicted burns turn you on, go fly with the Dutchman, otherwise, steer clear!

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Although I'm used to flake tobaccos, this blend seemed extremely dry from the tin and this combined with the fine, ribbon cut resulted in a very hot smoke. Even when smoked slowly, it burned much to fast for my taste and had a tendency to bite. Although no heavy casing was present and aromatic smokers might enjoy this one, I'll remain a flakeman.

Black Seamus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Black Seamus (56)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Pouch Aroma: The pouch emits a delicate aroma of reminiscent of butterscotch and pumpkin pie spice. No real tobacco aroma comes through.

Appearance: Very finely cut ribbons ranging in color from gold to dark brown. Despite it being an aromatic, the tobacco is not at all wet.

Initial flavor: There is a sharpness here, along with a sweet and mellow flavor that is again reminiscent of butterscotch. Not a lot of tobacco flavor comes through.

Mid bowl: Despite having ?12 different tobaccos,? there?s not much complexity in this smoke. The bowl burns evenly and the flavor continues to have the mellow sweetness evident in the first 1/3 of the bowl.

Finish: The tobacco burns very nicely to the bottom of the bowl, without any goop or unburned tobacco. The flavor has stayed steady and unexciting.

Summary: Aromatic smokers might really enjoy this, or at least find it a nice change from more heavily-cased blends. It burns cleanly and the flavor is nice enough. It?s just not my cup of tea.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild Pleasant

Typical dutch shag cut, mostly light to medium in color. Aroma is light Va and Burley, with apple pie topping. Lights easily, can bite if puffed aggresively (which you may well do to ge any tobacco flavor). Mostly just a bland tobacco with apple aroma. Your LSW might love the room note.