One of the more unusual tobaccos available, extremely full-bodied, ultra-high nicotine content. A must for those who like living on the dangerous side.

Notes: Originally blended by Finzer Bros & Pinkerton

BrandFive Brothers
Blended ByLane Limited
Blend TypeBurley Based
ContentsBurley
CutShag
Packaging50g Pouch
Strength
Strong
Taste
Full

2.6
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

I got a pouch of this with a recent order. It was cheap, and seemed like something I might like. This is a great burley smoke, and it has the reputation for deghosting a pipe. I found it a great smoke for the car on the commute. Don't buy this if you are looking for nuance or subtle. It is simple, straightforward burley with no apologies.

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (81)
Strong Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

This is Burley and young Burley. I remember granddad smoking some of the first dried crop of Burley and you could hear his heart beating from the next room after a pipeful. Strong tobacco here. This is the "White lighting" of pipe tobaccos. Unaged, unrefined, just straight burley. It has the nutty Burley tatse, a bit of pepper and the nicotene whollop. Pipe beginers pass this up and try it later down the road. This tobacco should have a warning like some of those rides at the amusement park. I can't imagine this being someones all day smoke, but if you have a caffine/nicotene habit here's your blend.

I might add that Carter Hall and Prince Albert are not made from poor quality leaf. John Middleton Co. has been around a long time in this country and has their hands on some great tobacco sources, passed down from generation to generation.

BigChairPuffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigChairPuffer (11)
Extremely Strong None Detected Extra Full Extra Strong

The least expensive pipe tobacco i've come across, and now I can see why. Very fine cut left the tobacco almost cunchy in the pouch making it difficult to light ...but once the fuse is lit its a nicotine bomb. If you consider ''taste'' a frill...this might be for you.

Dr_frankenstein Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr_frankenstein (2)
Very Strong Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

I really love this stuff. Ive waited so long for something like this.. its perfect!

Very simple, straight forward and what i think is probably the closest thing to true plain tobacco.

Out of the Pouch this stuff was dry as a bone, and it reflected it during smoking. Hot and bitey... Not any good at all and quite terrible if you leave it this way. I drop a pounch coin in the jar for a few weeks and was rewarded with a very smooth and gentle tobacco with a whomp of nicotine. its really alot better then most are making it out to be, I just think it needs alitte love to bring it up to a proper status. Its my all day smoke, and for flavor i might add a pinch of Q1 or something to change the mood.

The aroma and flavor is nutty to me, but very light and whispy. Room note is approachable but strong to a non smoker. Cigarette Smokers seem to compliment me on the smell the most and are the most curious about this particular blend.

I find this stuff smokes well in almost anything. Cobs and glass seeming to be the best for a clean flavor. So tighter and taller bowls are what I feel she favors. Many have said this is the best "De-Ghoster" there is but I have to disagree, its too neutral and just blends in.

This is definitly "My" blend. And in the end, even with all the blends that are on the market, I find myself returning to a simpler more comforting tobacco that allows me to relax, taste the plant, and give me the nicotine I want. This is Smoke, for Smoking... And nuthing more.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Diablo, Sterling Hall, Cob, glass

Age When Smoked: new pouch.

Purchased From: Cigar International

HCraven Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HCraven (5)
Strong None Detected Mild Strong

Alright, I"m the first to admit that this is not a fair review, as I've only ever smoked (or should I say choked down) a few bowls of this, so take it for what it's worth. I'll also say it's possible that I got a bad pouch, because everyone else describes this as a shag cut, which it was, but mine had a large proportion of what appeared to be sliced stems, small medallions of something that didn't look like anything I'd smoked before. If this is what it's supposed to look like, I can understand why the package says, "Pipe Tobacco!": it's probably the somewhat irritated response to the frequently asked question, "what the heck is this crap?!"

Anyway, it was dry as a bone, as universally noted, burns fast and a little hot, and offers little more than a quick but solid hit of nicotine for the bother.

Again, I may have got a bad pouch, but to me this is the dregs of the pipe tobacco (!) world. If you like it, that's fine, but if you aren't sure, I don't recommend spending a lot of time trying to figure out why others do, just move on.

Pipe Used: MM Washington cob

Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Strong

This is definitely an unusual blend. I received this as my free sampler from Lane a while back. It comes extremely dry as has been mentioned in the many reviews, but burns fine, if not, too fast. There is some nice burley flavor in this one. I have used it on occasion for blending, but I prefer Carter Hall in this role over Five Brothers.

This blend is very similar to a tobacco that my buddy's FIL smokes called Thuoc Lao. It is uncanny how closely it resembles in cut, texture and strength. The flavor is not that different either, but I prefer Five Brothers to that one. The Vietnamese typically only smoke that tobacco with water pipes due to its strength.

I like this blend and think it pretty good for the price, but the only thing that really differentiates this from the other famous OTC's such as SWR and CH in a positive direction is the heavy nicotine hit. I, personally, would rather stock my cellar with some C & D burleys that would be comparable in strength and inexpensive in bulk.

As for taste, I prefer SWR and Carter Hall and many other burleys to this. Don't get me wrong, I found nothing repulsive in its taste. I just prefer the other two of its contemporaries. I also don't like how fast it burns, something the other two don't do. So I do somewhat recommend this blend, but can't go with three stars due to the above reasoning.

Similar Blends: Thuoc Lao.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (79)
Extremely Strong None Detected Medium to Full Extra Strong

Five brothers is great at one thing: making a weak blend have some oomph. Yes by itself it is harsh and kinda nasty. I smoke two packs a day of Malboro's with pipes in between and I can feel the nicotine content. Anyone that says they cant must have an EXTREME tolerance or is trying to impress... As a blender burley this fits the bill, otherwise I cannot see a use for it....

Pipe Used: Cob

SecretAgentMan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SecretAgentMan (27)
Very Strong None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

Harsh, papery-tasting, bitter, strong. You could smoke this if you tried mixing it with something. But why ruin a good pipe tobacco? Did I mention it left an extremely bitter aftertaste?

Pipe Used: MM Washington

Age When Smoked: 1 week from purchase

yinyang Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
yinyang (45)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

dI'm going against the usual two ounce sampling before you review mantra oft spoken of here, because this tobacco is an easy read. If you like burley, try it. If you need a nicotine rush on the cheap, try it. If you need a blending agent to toughen up a wimpy blend, try it. Just try it!

To be fair, I didn't like the first bowl. Now somewhere north of ten bowls, I can say I've changed my mind. Yeah, it's a bit harsh, but it's a shag-cut burley, unsauced...I wasn't expecting a leisurely contemplative smoke. Monochromatic...you betcha! Five Bros. is what it is...an American 'old school' 'baccy. Smoke it in a smaller bowl and enjoy. Smoke it in a large bowl, and...well, it depends on your tolerance. This 'baccy is an excellent '10 minute smoke break' blend. It burns fast and hits hard. Perfect for the workplace.

I should add-I'm also currently smoking SG's Black Rope, and I can say, for me, the 'Rope' is much more nic laden than Five Bros., FWIW.

Update 11 May, 2011...I still can't give this a forth star, but after finding a source locally have been smoking it daily. This has become a rotational blend for me. I often get subtle VA/Lake District notes from it...odd for a burley, I would normally think. I'm finding I enjoy this when nothing else will hit the mark, to. I've bought fifteen pouches in the last month... I think I've eight left. Even Irish Flake had taken a back seat lately. All said, I think my snobbish attitude just got put in check by a handful of pencil shavings. Interesting.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

The tobacco smoked in all those clay pipes in colonial times was strictly and exclusively Virginia tobacco, the only tobacco then known in the Western world.

Burley was introduced in the mid 19th Century, at about the same time that the British discovered "Oriental" tobaccos. When the Dutch found that burley admitted flavourings more easily than any other tobacco, they learnt to blend with it, and burley found a place in Continental Europe. But cased pipe tobacco was illegal in Great Britain until 1986, so there was never much call for it there and Burley never caught on in England, or throughout the British Empire and Zones of Influence. Thus, the shag that Sherlock Holmes is said to have smoked was certainly not Burley shag!

Most of the tobacco smoked thoughout the world before, or indeed after, World World I was certainly not burley, but Virginia.

FIVE BROTHERS is pure dark-cured burley, and thus quintessentially American. This type of burley is usually used to give body to certain blends. Smoked alone, it is potent. I like it. I never smoke it, because you can't find it in New York. In a corn cob it does not taste harsh, and since corn cobs are small...Try it with some Tennessee sipping whiskey why don't you. Boccato di cardinale!

Der Pfeifenraucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Der Pfeifenraucher (16)
Extremely Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

I smoked a bowl of Five Brothers last night, and a bowl of Five Brothers smoked me. Crispy dry in the pouch, super fine shag cut. Easy to pack and light but burns out so quickly that you have to drag like hell on it to keep the cherry lit. It either burns hot or goes out, no slow and steady with this one. By the end of the bowl my face was but a charred remains of it's glorious self. The heat radiating from the bowl lit my beard on fire, quite unusual. The nicotine bomb reduced my faculties to stumbling, drooling, and babbling. In short; super stuff, not so much on it's own, but for mixing with all those sappy sweet aromatics. In a 50% by volume blend FB really adds burley nut to the flavor of your favorite aromatic and increases the nic appeal dramatically. Right now I have some FB steeping in a tin of CAO black. The mixture looks ridiculous but smokes like a dream.

Update: Downgraded to 2 star. By itself there is no pleasure in smoking this weed. Mixed with an aro it's OK but why not just get a better aro? Can't place it on the same level as other 3 star tobaccos such as Skandinavik, Erinmore, some Dunhills, etc. Probably should downgrade further but I like the way it spices up a weak aromatic.

Pipe Used: Grabow royal duke

Age When Smoked: 30 days

Purchased From: smoke shop

bulletsnbriars Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bulletsnbriars (3)
Very Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

This is one of those love it or hate it blends. I love it, and I will tell you why.

First off, some people say this is just a RYO masquerading as a pipe baccy. This is not true. I roll my own and I've tried several RYO brands and rolled this as a cigarette. It is a league of its own. If you're trying to get off the coughin' nails this is the blend to put in your pipe.

Packing this blend takes some practice. Pack it harder than you normally would and once she's lit tamp her frequently. Other reviewers have used the analogy of lighting a fuse. I think this is right on, once she's lit, you'll have a hard time getting it to go out unless you don't tamp her good. Once the fuse is lit... Get ready! This is not for those who can't take much vitamin N because she slaps you hard and makes you like it!

Some people may not like the taste, but I love the rich nuttiness. It's full, real baccy taste. Like a saucy redheaded high school sweetheart, take this slow or she will bite hard! But if you sip it and give it the respect it deserves, you will be rewarded with a nice nic hit and a pleasant, nutty hay baccy for those of us who don't like aros.

This blend is not for everyone, and not liking it doesn't make you any less of a man. However, I think it's a good idea to keep a pouch of this around. It's a great mixer to give dull blends an extra punch, and it's nice for getting a nic hit when you want it but don't want to buy a pack. If you're curious about burley, I reccomend this. You will know right away if burley is for you.

Don't get me wrong, this stuff is a one trick pony. But it does it's trick so well. If you are looking for a strong flavored and heavy hitting baccy and don't feel like messing with ropes or twists, keep this in your rotation. It's so affordable, there's little reason not to.

Pipe Used: MM Cob

Age When Smoked: Two Weeks

Very Strong None Detected Overwhelming Extra Strong

Give me a break. This isn't pipe tobacco in my opinion. Maybe this works for people switching over from cigarettes, but for some of us pipe smoking isn't all about the nicotine. Burns hot and fast, tastes horrible. What else do you want to know? We've all got a finite number of minutes on this earth and I'm not wasting another one reviewing this garbage.

Cobman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cobman (6)
Overwhelming Extra Strong Overwhelming Overwhelming

My Father-in-Law smoked this stuff, so I think he was trying to get rid of me when he gave me a pouch to try. I usually smoke Prince Albert, and E.A. Carey's blends.

When I opened the pouch, the aroma took over the environment. My cat hissed and arched her back (they really can detect evil....). All the house plants died...even the plastic ones. The room note was classic peat bog.

As I took a deep breath and filled my pipe, it was squirming in my hand, trying to get away. I should've stopped right there. It lit easily, unfortunately. After my first puff, my whole life flashed in front of my eyes...it was very depressing.... Have you ever smelled the peat that nightcrawlers are in when you buy a carton of them at a bait store? That was what this tasted and smelled like, with a little burly thrown in for camouflage. I experienced major vertigo, so it was a good thing I was sitting down. After the second puff...just before I passed out, I had visions of guys in Environmental suits placing my pipe, and this tobacco in ziplock bags, and decontaminating the house.

Seriously, this is the absolute worst...whatever it is, I have ever tried to smoke. It really does taste like worm-dirt, with some cow-chips mixed in, and smells even worse. It is strong enough to floor a Water Buffalo. I really did have to throw the pipe away, carefully....I could never get the smell or taste out of my DIplomat, even after repeated cleanings with pipe sweetener.

I could only manage a few puffs of this before putting it out. I couldn't smoke it long enough to tell if it burned hot, or not.

You should have to have a license from the EPA to even sell this stuff. I would definitely advise anyone to avoid this 'blend' at all costs, unless you are on some kind of macho-trip, or really into self-mutilation. I smoke for pleasure, and I have nothing to prove.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum

Age When Smoked: 1 day

Purchased From: My Father-In-Law

Similar Blends: Worm-Dirt.

Medium to Strong None Detected Mild Tolerable to Strong

Harsh. Irritated the back of my throat and I don't inhale (I do retrohale every puff). Had very little flavor, mostly just harsh smoke. I'm certainly not in favor of banning any tobacco, but if I were a member of Congress and legislation were introduced to make Five Brothers illegal I would have to seriously consider voting in favor. This is just bad. Very bad. How can they possibly market this @#$* as pipe tobacco???

Phonomet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phonomet (41)

As mentioned, this tobacco is very dry, it has a simple burley flavor, and it packs a punch. If this sounds unappealing, this is not for you. But for me, I'm saved the chore of drying it, I get a straightforward burley flavor, and I can face the non-smoking world a little longer because of the strength. :)

This is not nearly as strong as say, a 1792 flake, or even some of the stronger C&D blends out there. I'd take the advice of other reviewers and pack this one more tightly than you'd pack any other tobacco. Also, it does blend well with lighter fare.

This is not my favorite burley, but I like it for what it is, and it is more natural than any OTC smoke I've tried.

430pat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
430pat (39)
Very Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

I bought this to expedite breaking in a new pipe well,try blowing up a large air mattress and you will get the same light headed feeling you get after smoking a bowl of this stuff.This works great with a strong cup of coffee in the morning gets everything moving.Not my idea of an ideal relaxing smoke.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)
Extremely Strong None Detected Full Very Strong

I don't know how to describe my dislike of this tobacco firmly enough, but I will try. It smells like a horse stall in the pouch, it has the appearance of shredded wheat and the taste of a crushed cigarette mixed with a certain barnyard product. Oh, lets not forget the best part, the nicotine hits you like a brick to the head.

brogreggblues Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brogreggblues (45)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

My pouch of 5 Brothers arrived drier than any other blend I've tried. Dry and crunchy as autumn leaves.

Not much taste, but oh, the nicotine! As a blender: the only thing I'll blend it with, is the egg shells and coffee grounds in the trash basket.

Not recommended as a pipe tobacco, but maybe it will work in the compost heap.

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (100)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Five Brothers looks, smokes, smells, and tastes like a throwback to an earlier time. Men smoked?sometimes they smoked pipes, sometimes they rolled cigarettes. However they chose to smoke, the plain Burley which is Five Brothers was there for them. I rolled a whole lot of cigarettes during my post-secondary poverty years and these Brothers would have been right at home hanging out with my bandmates from back then--Drum, Bugler--and chatting up my Euro-trash girlfriend, Amsterdam Shag.

Trouble is, the fine shag cut of Five Brothers, the neutral flavor, the insanely fast burn?I doubt many recent converts to the pipe will find these things appealing. Frankly, I suspect many won?t even recognize this stuff as pipe tobacco now that the division of labor between pipe tobacco and RYO stuff is pretty much complete.

The praise this stuff gets is way out of whack with its quality, but I suppose we?ll be mired in a Burleyphilic, cheap-is-good-because-the-future-is-uncertain phase at least until housing prices rise. Heck, maybe it?ll drive down the prices for genuinely good Burleys like Solani?s Aged Burley Flake. Now that would be something to celebrate.

I?ll probably trot this stuff out once in a while to use as kindling for Barbary Coast and other unhappy burners. And if ever I come home to find all my pipes have disappeared?well, if there?s one thing I can easily borrow in my neighborhood, it?s a pack of rolling papers.

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (100)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Five Brothers looks, smokes, smells, and tastes like a throwback to an earlier time. Men smoked?sometimes they smoked pipes, sometimes they rolled cigarettes. However they chose to smoke, the plain Burley which is Five Brothers was there for them. I rolled a whole lot of cigarettes during my post-secondary poverty years and these Brothers would have been right at home hanging out with my bandmates from back then--Drum and Bugler--and my Euro-trash girlfriend, Amsterdam Shag.

Trouble is, the fine shag cut of Five Brothers, the neutral flavor, the insanely fast burn?I doubt many current pipe smokers would find these things appealing. Frankly, I suspect many won?t even recognize this stuff as pipe tobacco now that the division of labor between pipe baccy and RYO stuff is pretty much complete.

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (111)
Very Strong Mild to Medium Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Update Nov 15th 2012 This is still a good clean smoke

Don't be scared of this Blend. This blend is an Old American blend. You can roll it in paper you can pack it. this blend reminds me of Three Castles blend. Which today is only used for Rolling Cigaerttes. It was not unsual for geanral stores to carry lose shag cut tobacco for rolling and packing in a pipe. Smokes well and dry. It may not be in a fancy package but this blend isn't about that. It just about smoking. It can have a little nutty flavor which will come and go. It is an all day smoke. this blend is not for the armchair Snob pipe smokers reading Dickens. This one is for the Hard working guys who smoke while they work. And need some nicotine to get their sails up to finsh a days work. Smokes great in all pipes from Corn Cob to my 1954 Dunhil pipe. I would say that out of all the old drugstore blends other then Granger or Sir Walter Raliegh, 5 Bros is fun stuff. Although I never saw this in a drugstore. get it while you can. I am sure it won't be around for long. Also great for breaking in a new pipe.

oldorder Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldorder (15)
Strong Mild Mild Tolerable

Just came back to pipe smoking after 45 years. Looking for some stronger stuff to help me get to sleep. Really enjoy Five Brothers, along with Night Cap, Dark Bird's Eye, etc. Wanted something that was strong yet flavor enjoyable. I found Five Brothers easy to pack. Just roll up a plug or tube and pack it tight. Burns to the bottom with hardly a relite. The aroma is ok and I can smoke two or three bowls to relax and hit the sack. Have added it to a few others, but enjoy straight the most.

Pipe Used: Unfiltered Patriot and various briars.

Age When Smoked: fresth

Purchased From: 4noggins

Similar Blends: Other quick burning shags. Cheaper than most, but less flavor, though not bad..

codyp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
codyp (65)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

As good as the Burely flavor was, I was always getting a pepper kind of taste along with a lot of nicotine. Which I didn't mind.

I was not a fan of the shag cut, thought it was hard to light, and if it did light, burned a bit hot. Not bad, not good. Two stars.

Pipe Used: H.I.S Egg, Cob

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Kraft1994 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kraft1994 (54)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

The first thing that threw me off about Five Brothers was the shag cut. In the pouch it looks like high quality cigarette rolling tobacco. And... it pretty much is. As a pipe tobacco its a little odd. It has a good burly flavor to it but the room note reminds me of cigarette smoke. However it dose have a nice flavor to it.

I decided to roll up a cigarette with it and its an pretty good OTC pipe tobacco but a great cigarette tobacco. However this is a pipe forum so I'll leave it at that.

Nitesail Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nitesail (2)
Extremely Strong Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

Ok, all I can say is if you're planning on inhaling this stuff...seriously...sit down first. I learned that my first round with this stuff! In the taste and aroma department it leaves much to be desired but if you're wanting a real kick in the pants then go for it, just remember my aforementioned advice!

Archer_Guy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Archer_Guy (2)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Early on in my pipe smoking adventure, I was looking for a good tobacco with some strength. I was used to smoking cigars, including double Ligero strength. The aromatics I had been trying were not cutting it as far as my satisfaction with pipe smoking. Just making everyone else happy.

I owe Byron Oost of The Liquor Store in Kentucky with getting me started in a good way with this potential volcano of a tobacco. I had contacted him via a review of Five Brothers I had read, and he took the time to discuss with me this and other tobaccos he carried. I am so glad he did.

This is one of my favorite pipe tobacco's.

How to extend the burn time and enjoyment of this toby I enjoy it straight in a good sized cob. The ritual that Byron taught me is to take a pipe full amount of tobacco, and hold it in the cup of your hand. Then get you mouth close to the tobacco and breath lightly on it. Kind of like an 'aaahh'. The same as you would breathe on your eyeglasses to create a fog so you could wipe them clean. Once or twice will do it. It will absord just the right amount of moisture. Then pack it into your pipe. tight. really press it down. I pack this twice as tight as any other tobacco. Don't worry. It will burn just fine! right down to a fine ash that just pours out of you pipe. This usually doubles my burn time.

If I want a quicker smoke, I just pack it tight straight from the pouch. Love it! Pack it like you normally would with a fancy tin, and this will burn like a forest fire. This is just a great 'old codger' burley with no bite at all that I had seen on my great-grandfathers porch.

To me this is not overwhelmingly strong, but has a good body. YOu know you have had a smoke. Where it also shines is as a blending toby. add it to whatever to stoke it up a bit, or burn better. I like to fold and stuff a flake of Petersens Irish Flake, and then sprinkle a little Five Brothers on top of it as kindling to get the furnace going!

(Have not tried the STG product just yet, still working through my stash that I acquired before the acquisition from Pinkerton.)

Also, if you have a pipe with a bit of ghosting, or from a goopy aromatic, just burn a bowl or two of Five Brothers will usually clean the pipe right up.

My favorite blend with this that I keep on my desk is one part (by volume) Five Brothers to one part Carter Hall with 1/2 part Perique. Great smoke. Good Vitamin N, flavor of real tobacco that burns with no attention required to a fine ash. This is an outdoor mix though, my adult daughter stated that this mix smelled like a "Shreveport Casino". oh well, sure is enjoyable and keeps the mosquitoes away!

7formy1911 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
7formy1911 (36)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

Like many others on here I have received a free sample of this from Lane. This is now made in Denmark and since it's now made there I believe the Danes have imparted their own spin in this blend. I'm sure in the past this would have been much more potent and without any topping whatsoever but the spirit of the blend remains.

Upon opening the pouch I notice a very faint hint of raisins and I believe this may be some sort of topping. Nothing intrusive and it only comes out in the smoke in the slightest bit and only accentuates the pure tobacco flavor. This is a very thin string cut with birdseyes present and is acceptable for RYO although much better in my pipe.

Loading is easy directly from the pouch with no drying needed at all. Lighting poses no issues and from the start there is a toasty burley flavor with pure tobacco being upfront. Hints of the aforementioned raisin flavor pops in if smoked slowly but certainly a tasty addition to the pure tobacco flavor. There's no frills or complexity to this smoke and I truly enjoy that. Nicotine is manageable and not anything like Petersons Irish Flake which has been the only tobacco to make me uncomfortable. I certainly recommend this for burley lovers but others may be a bit apprehensive about it. I'd say give it a try anyway, you may be surprised!

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

Got some of this in a free sample promotion. As pipe tobacco, it is a very plain, basic, no-frills burley, and I did not think it was as strong as its reputation suggests-try Cotton Boll. I also RYO sometimes, and this makes a very plain, basic, no-frills cigarette! I can't think of any particular strong or weak points, but for versatility will give it three stars. I think my main use for it will be as a blender in my own RYO blends, which I sometimes soak in a sweet liqueur such as Drambuie or Frangelico (not too much). This would be good with some Thai shag and a nice Turkish, drizzled in Frangelico and allowed to meld. As mentioned, fine in a pipe or rolled by itself, and free of the goop that often plagues OTC pouch tobaccos.

Buster Bluth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buster Bluth (51)
Very Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Looks like Drum RYO. Very dry. Like this stuff periodically in a little cob. Mild tasting, the mouth feel and room aroma is very cigarette. Burns quick. A few draws is all that is needed to get a good Nicotine fix. Great one to take fishing or camping. Great for quick breaks with small pipes. Can't say any more that hasn't been said.

I believe this is not everyone's cup of tea by itself. However, it is great to experiment with to see if it has a condimental effect or enhances the burning qualities of the other tobaccos you smoke. I like this periodically mixed with Other OTC Burleys as it seems to draw up some of the excess moisture in wetter pouch blends. 3 stars.

MikePhillips Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MikePhillips (9)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I just received a couple of pouches of this today with an order of other tobaccos from 4noggins...I'd read the reviews of this and, while it didn't seem like it would be my cup of tea, I wanted badly to try it, so I've smoked a couple of bowls now (in an old cob I've had laying around for maybe 15 years) and have to say I'm pretty pleasantly surprised. It's decently strong (I love a really strong tobacco), has a nice flavor, and zero tongue bite. It does burn quite a bit faster, of course, because of the cut and the low moisture content, but it's a really great smoke in my opinion, and one I'll be keeping handy from now on. I can understand the dislike some have for it, especially if they're used to milder, heavier cut, wetter, and more aromatic tobaccos, but for those (especially in the south) who remember their grandfather's pipe tobaccos, you probably remember something very similar to this....a plain American tobacco, tossed in a pouch and sold nearly everywhere you could shop, that could be rolled or smoked in a pipe either one.

My only real problem with it was that I couldn't pack enough in my pipe to last more than 10 minutes or so.

P.S. I rolled up a cigarette from this, and while it isn't bad, I prefer Bugler or Drum if I"m going to go Mexican. This stuff is best in a pipe, no question.

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (77)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

...I do not find this shag tobacco as strong as many others and while not complex..it does deliver a fine smoke. Actually, its cut, appearance, and texture is dead-on to Bali Shag...it fact, the taste is exactly what I get with Bali.

It does have high level "N"...and while I prefer a strong Virginia shag...I like the occasional trip down "Burley Lane". Pinkerton Tobacco use to manufacture this and they may still...however, my most recent purchase says it is imported by STG who owns Lane, Pinkerton,...etc.

As with all my shag cut tobaccos, I keep shag moist and smoke it in group 5 and larger size pipe. All-in-all, a very nice smoke!

...a pipe is to be savored...

Longship Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Longship (1)
Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

First review and first time trying a non-aromatic. Here we go!

As mentioned above, my experience thus far with pipe tobaccos has been with aromatics. However, I do enjoy cigars (maduro fanatic here) so this isn't my first-first experience with straight up tobacco. I was actually pleasantly surprised. I picked up the 1.5 oz pouch at my local liquor store for a reasonable price. So "reasonable" that I was preparing for a disappointment, but my budget was tight this week due to vehicular repairs. So I will offer a categorical review of this tobacco -

Pouch Aroma & Appearance: The smell was, I have to say, delicious - yes, delicious. Ive smelled enough pouches of aromatics in my time as a pipe smoker but I wasn't expecting this surprise from what is otherwise nothing more than air-cured shag burley. Warm apple juice and raisins! As for appearance, dark golden-brown hay and scraggly as is to be expected with shag-cut tobaccos.

The Smoke: Tobacco, tobacco, tobacco. With a hint of black pepper. Sort of like wetting your finger with a basic blackening spice and tasting it. If you enjoy a mild spiciness and a pure tobacco taste, it is for you. In a good briar pipe it tastes pretty fantastic, honestly. The package isn't lying, either, when it says "potent". After a smoke I feel the same buzz I feel about half-way into one of my stronger cigars, this is a pull-up-a-chair tobacco only for me! As for the room note, you aren't going to receive any praise from your non-smoking friends. It is tolerable, but on the strong side.

The Burn: Fast! A fair-packed bowl of the stuff lasts me a consistent 15 minutes. But for such a fast-burning tobacco it burns quite cool. I smoked two successive bowls before my pipe even changed temperature (although my pipe is fairly thick-walled, so mileage may vary).

Final Thoughts: For the price this is an exceptional steal. Good flavor for a good price. Some may not like the simple flavor it offers but it packs a punch and what flavor it does have is nostalgic and I imagine it is what you'd expect American pioneers and woodsmen to smoke. So, in that respect this is more of a "baccy" than anything - but that's a good thing! My only complaint is that it is a quick smoke, a very quick smoke and you'll power through a 1.5 ounce (35g) pouch fairly quickly if you like it. However, for a break from your more expensive stuff or just looking for an inexpensive hit of the ol' Vitamin N without breaking the bank, I recommend it.

Medium to Strong Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

If this is the good old fasionhed Burley, then I like it. Faint fig pouch aroma; the tobacco is on the dry side and the cut, well, it's like Drum RYO tobacco.

To be smoked gently to keep tongue biting at a minimum level, this tobacco, surprisingly, smokes rather slowly (maybe because I pack it really tight in one of my corn cobs?)

No complex flavours, which is to be expected from an all BU blend, but again, I like it.

Good nicotine level too. I hope I will be able to drop cigarettes once and for all with this one.

If you are a fast, heavy puffer, stay away from Five Brothers.

Blue Bayou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blue Bayou (59)
Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Ok if you like smoking cigarettes...dry, grassy. Rolls up well. I didn't find it nearly as strong as my XX Rope.

Introibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Introibo (45)
Very Strong Very Strong Very Full Strong

Finally sampled some 5Bs.

Great blend; apart from burning faster than a fire cracker, it exceeds expectations in every respect. Great taste, good strong kick, and an amazing after taste. It has a certain resemblance to Old Joe Kranz (harsh, bitter taste, powerful hit), but it is less complex.

I can now understand what some of the posters here mean when they write about codger burleys, and what pipe tobacco used to be like.

Not an all day blend, but certainly one to ignite the spirit for the day or flatten it out prior to sleep.

Albert Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Albert (6)
Very Strong None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Five Brothers is an excellent smoke. Use a small bowl. Burns very quickly and delivers a great nicotine hit. Not much in the way of taste and extremely dry. That said, if you're after a quick, easy to smoke and eminently satisfying heart starter, Five Brothers is the way to go. I'm really impressed for what it is. I use a small bowl churchwarden and the smoke lasts two minutes. That's really more than enough. Recommended for those tight times when you need something that'll do the job. And Five Brothers will.

WVPuffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WVPuffer (1)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

I found it to be nice little smoke when stressed out our if I'm just a little tired. I'm still a little jittery from my smoke last night. It burns a little to fast for my taste and if ones not careful you could get tongue bite but it will give you a great kick start if you need one. I get mine from gumbys cigarettes and beer world for $3. If you prefer a strong tobacco try it if you don't try it and mix it.

Earl Grey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Earl Grey (15)
Extremely Strong None Detected Overwhelming Extra Strong

Five Brothers is very strong. I tried smoking it in a cob before I mixed it with my evening dose of 'regular' burley. The Five Bros. almost popped my gulliver. This stuff, in my opinion, is something of a novelty tobacco. It's like smoking horseradish. Good to use as a mixer to add strength, but that's about the only redeeming quality I can see about this tobacco.

The Persian Slipper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Persian Slipper (29)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Strong

This one does appear to be a solid burley blend. Though the taste isn't to my liking. The strength is okay. One could do better in strength by purchasing an oriental or latakia blend. I love the cut. Shag is an excellent way to pack a pipe, light it, and keep it lit easily. The price can't be beat, either. Shag is traditionally a cheap tobacco and it still holds true today. If one is looking for a nicotine hit, then this is it. I usually smoke it when I have coffee or tea in the morning. All-in-all, it's a decent blend but I'm sure that there are better shag blends available.

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

I recently won a pouch of Five Bros from ebay. It arrived very crinkly in its package and upon opening, was desert dry. Surprisingly, it was smokeable. Was it worth the $9.99 plus shipping? Sad to say, no. It did have a taste unlike any other Burley I have ever smoked, but not enough to win me over and it was quite boring. Retrospectively, it wasn't worth the effort in hunting it down. I suspect it would serve its purpose as a blender, but as for a solo smoke, there are far better. When all is said and done, happy I finally tried it and only "somewhat recommended" for the experience alone.

Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

Five Brothers is a shag cut old school Burley. It arrives in a pouch and is a very straightforward Burley with no complexity. I find it ready to smoke out of the pouch. Yes, it is strong and for me that's ok. It simply is boring and there are far better Burley's on the market. The reason why I rated it as "somewhat recommended" is because FB makes for a great addition to any blend in which a pipe man wants to add strength without altering the flavor too much. I always keep some FB on hand for this reason. I too, like Raffles below, add it to Prince Albert with great results as the two blends seem made for each other.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

This straight Burley in shag formation has received a hefty endorsement from reviewers, which prompted my purchase. The tobacco arrived in an attractive though simple pouch, exceedingly dry and densely packed. My first smoke nearly killed me and I had to put the pipe down. It was then that I swore never again, and promptly set the pouch in my little graveyard box reserved for those tobaccos I have no intention of smoking unless the horrible day should come in which pipe tobacco were banned and they are all I have left.

I recently had a change of heart, and this happens often with these blends, thinking I might have missed something. That box is strangely alluring, and I keep thinking a genie might pop out of it granting all my wishes, but usually I end up throwing the thing back in its place, overwhelmed by disappointment and wasted effort.

This time around I fired up a bowl, in a small pipe (the small pipes are a recent addition to my already crummy selection of overly large and very cheap pipes). They are surprisingly useful, these small pipes, and had I realized their utility early on, I might have avoided several nicotine induced panic attacks over the years. Immediately I could taste the Burley and it reminded me of the cigarettes I smoked before exclusively moving to the pipe. Not bad, but certainly not a flavor I want to encounter on a daily basis, particularly in my zeal for avoiding a return to cigarettes.

And in this mindset, I can see the popularity here for those switching over, who may be desperate for a nicotine fix and a similar flavor profile. Yes, the strength is enough to quell most any appetite and 5 Brothers works well as a pathway to more complex blends. Adherents have also put 5 Brothers forward as a blending component for bolstering those weak blends you may have on hand. It's relatively flavorless enough that I can understand the mentality here, but I will warn you that the shag cut does not mix well with many of the ribbons out there and you may screw up the burn rate, as this tobacco fires like kindling.

With that, my experiment had ended. I have little doubt that 5 Brothers has a place, but not in my smoking cabinet. Back in the box you go!

Raffles Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Raffles (11)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

Marketing hype has made too much of the supposed strength of this tobacco IMO. If you're used to 1Q, and then jump to this, I dare say it would be a shock. And while it's certainly no weakling, there are stronger tobaccos - GH Kendal Kentucky, for example, which has some similarities. FB lacks refinement, it can be harsh and peppery, but in its Wild West livery it is still a little special.

Carter Hall and Prince Albert are coarse tobaccos manufactured from low-grade leaf, but seem to have an affinity with FB. Adding about 30% FB produces an intoxicating mix with cigar-like notes.

LW Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LW (1)
Very Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

Marvelous! I'm still new at this whole tobacco desciption thing. The whole reason i wanted to try a shag was a memory from a couple of years ago when i first started smoking and was fresh out of tobacco. My roommate at the time had some RYO tobacco (i believe it was called late harvest) and i had a clay pipe (broken months later) so i gave it a try. Not much on taste but i liked the draw and the thickness of the smoke.

As for trying five brothers i liked alot of the reviews i read and thought i would giver a whirl. Glad i did!

The pouch aroma was about what i expected. Just tobacco. Kinda reminded me of the smell of my Dad's Red Man when i used to open up a pouch when i was younger. Extremely dry but im not so sure i mind that so much.

Honestly, i like a good nic buzz and this gave me an amazing one. Tightness in chest and throat as well as alertness and mind clarity were definately there. Strongest baccy i've ever smoked.

The taste varied depending on wether i exhaled through the nose or mouth. Through the mouth was just no frills full flavored burly. The usual bit of nuttiness and tobaccoey taste. Through the nose i actually caught a hint of cocoa. Way more than i expected.

I smoked it in one of my legend cobs and believe it or not it didn't get overly hot. Warm, certainly but not the inferno i expected. The smoke wasn't near as hot upon puffing as i thought it would be either.

Being as i smoke it outside i have nothing to say as far as roomnote goes. I would imagine it too be tolerable at least.

My only real complaint is that it was gone in about ten minutes. This stuff burns fast. It did force me to take my time puffing and thats something i really struggle with. I'm gonna have to go against the advice of most reviewers and try it in a larger bowl and just hope that it doesn't kill me.

Ive only been piping a few years and have many more to try but i think this is gonna be one of my regulars for sure. I gotta try to find a local store that carries it. I would hate to keep buying a pouches offline that cost $3 and some change if i could get it somewhere local.

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (87)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

A nicotine-infused trip to yesteryear. I acquired a few bouches of the Good Brothers in a trade, and I'm glad I did. No mincing about here: simple, dry, air-cured Burley shag. Pretty one-dimensional in terms of taste, but this stuff will speed up your heart rate in seconds flat. I advise not puffing too fast, as the tobacco will turn bitter, and you will turn green. Fun, fun.

Enten-Eller Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Enten-Eller (1)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

My first review must be for, this, my go-to everyday tobacco. I like English/oriental and Balkan blends, virginias and vapers, burleys and "Americanized Englishes". However, nothing could replace (for me) this very basic old-timey, shag-cut burley.

It lights and burns easily in any circumstance, delivers a satisfying, slightly nutty and grassy flavor, and is definately fulfilling as to nicotine. However, it isn't, by far, the strongest tobacoo I've had nicotine-wise. The G&H ropes/plugs and the likes of Kendal Dark and Fairmorn's Dark Fired Shag are more potent.

I've a couple of sources for this in a fifty mile radius of where I live. I buy it by the carton (12 pouches) for a little under thirty dollars. The few places still selling it online are generally charging six USD or more per single pouch. My wife and I take semi-regular rides that include stops at the stores that still place special orders for it. I buy a carton to cellar and now I've quite a stockpile. It will soon be totally unavailable, I highly suspect. I think Pinkerton may be forced to discontinue, as a result of the new liberty-usurping laws.

I can't fully recommend it because it is certainly not for all -- too strong for some, too plain for others. Though it is great for what it is/its purpose and my favorite, I will only give it 3 (and a half) stars. I will be reserved with the stars and only give 4 to "masterpieces". We will see if I can give 4 to any others. I've a couple in mind. But again, we will have to wait and see.

I would miss many other tobaccos, but if I could only have just one.............

Note to Tee-Dub: The dryness still works ok for me somehow. I'm smoking some now that has been stored for several years. It's pretty much the same as it was when I first purchased it. Sometimes I will rehydrate it a little by filling an empty 50 gram tin (Gawith, etc.) with Five Brothers and placing a paper towel, that's dampened with distilled water, over the top. I put the lid on top of that and leave it that way for at least overnight. That even brings forth a fresh-like nutty burley flavor. I wouldn't do this with anything else.

Tee-dub Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tee-dub (48)
Very Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

How does one tell is Five Brothers is fresh or not? It's drier than hell, and looks like it might be used to line the bottom of a hamster cage.

It's strong and it burns really fast. But you knew that.

If you're looking for a nicotine delivery system, here it is. If you're looking for snobby subtlety and nuance, you probably wouldn't have bought this in the first place.

vinnie799 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vinnie799 (33)
Very Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

EVIL, WICKED, MEAN AND NASTY! I just received a pouch of Five Brothers to see what the fuss was about WOW! It's a shag cut which means in my opinion more smoke per puff, More tobacco ignites at one time. Out of the pouch it felt dry to the touch but since it's a shag cut it's going to feel dry, however not crispy. Very easy to fill the bowl. I would recommed a small bowl though not a litle one as it is a very satisfying smoke. A nicotine hit that lives up to all the reviews, POW! This one is not for the weak stomach nor an empty one either. My first bowl was a bit dizzying, no complaints here though. Smoked slowly the burley that it is justly rewards a burley person for sure. It's definitely not a contemplative smoke but you can do it that way and not have a problem with it. When you need/want a 'fix' this is one I'll go to.

First thing in the morning with a strong coffee and yer off to the races! I'm gonna give this one FOUR stars. It is as I've stated evil, wicked ,mean and nasty. I will be ordering more. At this point I only have a couple of bowls of the stuff left and after only a week I've had some very satisfying smokes , great for the short quick fix as it burns rather quickly. Nice job Pinkerton!

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

In the pouch, the scent of this fine, shag-cut leaf reveals nothing more than a most basic burley grassiness.

The flavor is of very unaffected light and brown burleys unameliorated by condiments, sweeteners or toppings. It is remarkably well-selected tobacco which is notably devoid of lightness, exuberance and variance.

Five Brothers is a rustic and versatile component tobacco which is as well-adapted for blending as it is for chewing as well as for making roll-ups. As a straight pipe tobacco, it will likely appeal only to those seeking the most austere and stolid of smokes. This went best in narrow to medium gauge chambers.

Steden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steden (84)
Strong Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

Another tobacco gifted by Clarkus that I thank, I can endorse his review: I expected a stronger tobacco, the contents of nicotine is certainly in high dosage (too much for my preferences) but not bombastic and contributes to coolness of the smoke despite the type of cut and dryness make this tobacco highly flammable. What is surprising is the delicacy of taste, not bad but rather neutral and (IMHO) natural, placed on the top of the bowl (just a pinch) can be used as a trigger for blends too wet or too weak.

Clarkus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Clarkus (26)
Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Well, this was certainly a different sort of pipe tobacco experience. The shag is pretty fine and my pouch was properly sealed but the tobacco was pretty darn dry. I'm hydrating it now. The tobacco burns quickly, the flavor is good and it is great to have for when you just got to have a quick nicotine boost. I also think it is good kindling to use to get a heavy flake going. I expect it would make a decent cigarette tobacco, especially considering its very low price. I had to order twelve pouches to get that good price and I'll smoke it all over time I suppose but probably won't buy it again.

The nicotine makes its presence known but it isn't killer. The tobacco is not harsh in the least and there is a decent sweetness to it I may mix it in with some underpowered but flavorful tobacco I have; I don't think it will harm the flavor of other blends.

The room note is cigarette but not in a bad way. You may want until you find it in a store so you can get a single pouch to try.

My guess is that this is what Huck Finn smoked.

20 Aug. 2010

After a few months, I think I will update my review. I had a dozen packs of this tobacco and my initial impression was so-so. I sent two packs to Steden and had one open leaving me with nine more to contend with.

Hydrating didn't improve the tobacco; it made it worse so I think it was meant to smoke rather dry. I didn't have much success blending it either so I started smoking my way through the rest. By the end of the second packet, I had begun to actually enjoy it. I found it a good tobacco for a quick smoke. It burns too quickly for sitting back and relaxing but it gives you a complete tobacco experience quickly. By the end of the last pack I was ready to order more. It isn't the kind of fine tobacco we enjoy but it is a tobacco I will want to have around. Steden occasionally furnishes me with two "common" Italian tobaccos that are rather strong and moderately quick burning. These are my favorite tobaccos to have around for a quick smoke but the price and availability of Five Brothers suffices to fill that need. I am giving it an additional star.

smokey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey (120)
Very Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Ah, the legendary Five Brothers. A nicotine bomb that makes grown men weep and ladies swoon. This tobacco's reputation definitely preceded itself. It is a rather unusual fine shag cut with some birdseye and loads readily into the pipe. A medium tamp and I'm ready to venture into nicotine nirvana.

I did most of my Five Brothers smoking in a MM Country Gentleman cob as it just seemed to fit the tobacco: not too big a capacity and the cob structure perhaps absorbing a little of the kick. This is not a tobacco to smoke on an empty stomach. The taste was a little harsh to me but my sample had dried out quite a bit. Perhaps I will moisten it a bit and try it again and report back.

5 Brothers burns very readily and is easy to keep lit. It also burns very quickly and a medium sized bowl will be done in 20 m minutes.

It's not the easiest tobacco to locate, I got mine from Mars Cigars and I understand 4 Noggins also carries it.

Scores for 5 Brothers: taste- 14 of 20; lighting and burn- 9 of 10; value- 7 of 10. 30 points equals a good * rating for this powerhouse.

Funn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Funn (14)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I was scared to try this at first hearing reports of dizzyness,weakness in the kness, etc. But I finally ordered a pouch. It didn't effect me the way many others have said. I tried it in a Legend Cob, which I recommend for first timers. This is pure unflavored burley at it's best.Real unadulterated tobacco taste. I can exhale through the nose after the charring light,would not suggest this after you get the pipe going though. I find it to be palate,mind and body clearing. It is strong so sip it accordingly. I've mixed this w/PA and I could feel the nicotene content raised considerably. This is a mild tasting tobacco to me if one takes their time. Pack it tightly or it will burn like toilet paper. It comes in a shag cut reminding me of Holmes' Persian slipper. First part of the bowl is mild but it gains intensity as the bowl progresses. It burns & tastes at times like a Va. without the bite. Will keep this as a palate cleanser and a change from my usual Burley, Va. English and Aromatic tobaccos. Reminds me of an old country store and Mark Twain. Recommended for experienced pipe smokers and experimenting novices. Don't toss it! Wait for your tastes to mature.Smoke it in a pipe with a small bowl!!

Tigerjackshere Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tigerjackshere (3)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

This is my favorite Burley Tobacco , of course I'm pretty much a straight Burley man. I love this tobacco,its in my top 3 with that being said its probably a bit strong for most people!unless you are fond of str8 Burleys, Dk's review would fit the bill for alot of people,it is a very good blender tobacco. This tobacco comes very dry,I suggest you rehydrate it just a bit as it does mellow it quiet a bit and slows the forest fire lol.All in All a great tobacco .

Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

This is a pretty strong tasting fine shag cut that comes very dry in the pouch. There's no real need to rehash what has already been written below but I found this rather bland to smoke on its own. However, it's a wonderful blender.

I got good results when blending this with aromatics such as Lane's 1-Q. The best results were 40% Five Brothers to 60% 1-Q and I ended up with a High Octane version. The Five Brothers soaked up some of the sauce (actually DRIED it up) and the result to me seemed more than the sum of two parts. It provided a still soft but stronger version.

I also used this to great effect as "tinder" for other blends by sprinkling the top 1/4 bowl of a large pipe. The best mix was 3/4 McClellands Navy Cavendish at the bottom to 1/4 FB. That experiment was so successful that I've gotta get more Dark Star! The FB will certainly help that stuff burn better. I intend to continue to experiment with this tobacco - it really does add character to blends.

Camarade Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Camarade (5)
Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Shortly after my initial addiction to Copenhagen snuff in 1967, I attempted a short lived excursion into the realm of what I thought to be pipe tobacco. I'm alluding to what was then and may be still now popular in drug store aromatics, brands and blends not worthy to be spoken in the presence of Five Brothers. Oh, I was happy enough standing in my vanilla or cherry cloud whilst fly fishing mountain streams in Montana, but I always found myself stuffing a pinch of Cope under my lip immediately after a vitamin N deficient smoke. Admittedly, the Copenhagen appeared to taste better after a slowly drawn bowl, but pipe smoking was not for me. It was too much bother whilst wading and fishing and it could not completely satisfy of itself, or so I thought.

Four years ago after a 38 year hiatus I returned to the briar. Yes, I retraced the old route of aromatics but shortly thereafter found through the Internet some delightful English blends, Virginia and Burley offerings. I say delightful in that they complemented my Copenhagen. No pipe tobacco could truly satisfy... or could it. I then dared to query the Internet to see if there were any high octane pipe tobaccos available and thus did I find Five Brothers Smoking Tobacco. Finally. This shag cut burley approached the vitamin N level of my beloved Cope. For my body chemistry it's strength was acceptable and satisfying. It packed easily into a featherweight, burned swift and clean, and yielded no bite whatsoever. There were no added flavorings and it's taste was mild and interesting, simply that of tobacco. And so I was properly reintroduced into the realm of pipe tobacco.

Five Brothers has become my all business tobacco. It's excellent for the short break. It's perfect for inclement weather. It's a vulgar tobacco for men, a shit-or-get-off-the-pot smoke. But now having said that, please do keep in mind that all of this is coming from a snuff dipper of about forty years.

Now whilst I say that its taste is mild and interesting, it is singular without complexity. Enter the parfait. May I challenge you to experimentation. Carter Hall at the bottom of the bowl, a midsection of G&H Dark Flake, topped off with Five Brothers as kindling and kick at the top. Or perhaps a thin layer of Boswell's Christmas Cookie at the bottom, Prince Albert in the skinny middle with old Five Brothers crowning the top. I trust you see the pattern. You must incorporate Five Brothers somewhere in the parfait for a satisfying smoke and layering lengthens the experience.

Yes, Five Brothers is my dearest buddy who is always available when I need a shot of vitamin N, but I've since found SG 1792, and G&H Dark Flake and Dark Birdseye that all have commendable strength and lend themselves to sipping as if a fine bourbon. I'll sing their accolades elsewhere, but I mention them here for the benefit of some few who may be interested in what else this old addict finds acceptable as an alternative to Copenhagen snuff.

For a no-nonsense, satisfying, and to-the-quick pipe smoke, I highly recommend Five Brothers.

tramroad28 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tramroad28 (26)
Overwhelming Very Mild Full Extra Strong

Roll this in paper or blend with actual pipe tobacco if one absolutely must...otherwise it is only for those wishing to prove some point or be known as a tough "real" smoker who needs and can handle nicotene.

Kinda like Knob Creek as being the whiskey that John Wayne would drink in the Old West, I expect that this is the tobacco some would think the Duke would smoke after walking thru the bat-wings.

I would vote avoid if possible. "There ain't no money in it."

JLong Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JLong (35)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

This is one of my favorite tobaccos amongst all tobaccos and the best drug store blend I have ever smoked. I love everything about it. The taste is excellent and the nicotene buzz is awesome.

It could use some hydrating I suppose but for on the go stuff and light smoking, the dryness level is perfect.

Tripjoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tripjoker (64)
Very Strong Extremely Mild Overwhelming Very Strong

Another example of how the hype of a blend has led me astray. I found this easily enough at one of my regular internet suppliers, and ordered a single package (thank god). The presentation is a shag cut with the odd birdseye-like shave here and there. The pouch aroma should said what I needed to hear, but I soldiered on.

This burns like a forest fire and is truly the most disgusting weed I have ever put in a pipe. There is really nothing positive I can say about this tobacco. I am a fan of strong blends, but the flavor and harshness of this tobacco just wouldn't allow me to even enjoy the nicotine level.

I rarely if ever dispose of tobacco in any other way but to smoke it, but this made a trip to the trash can after several unsuccessful attempts to get to know it. I even tried rolling it into a cigarette. That was equally disgusting. Life is too short to smoke anything like this. If I was stuck on a desert Island with this, I would quit smoking and use it to start fires.

karnevil9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
karnevil9 (17)
Very Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

After hearing about this I just had to try some. Very interesting stuff. Certainly nothing fancy. Just strong unadulterated straight tobacco. Comes out of the pouch it came in, very, very dry. Looks and feels like dried grass. Smoked some right out of the pouch. Extremely strong. Burned at light speed. One light. No real favor though. After reading some of the other reviews,I took their suggestions and hydrated it over night. What a difference. After hydration it burned slower and stays lit and had a nice nutty flavor to it. Thats the way to go. Hydrate it over night and you will be very pleased. This is a poor mans version of Dark Birdseye, though DBE is far superior.The price of 5 Brothers is right however compared to DBE. This goes great with coffee in the morning and gives you that jump start to get you going.

A short side note: I had a hard time finding a place that had this in stock, so alot of people must be smoking it.

bent-1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bent-1 (32)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

It's funny, I'm not a big fan of straight burley tobak's, but it's a regular for me. At times it approaches a rough edge, but somehow backs down to a satisfying smoke. Actually, this is the only blend I like hydrated or smoked in humid surroundings, the additional moisture brings out the nutty flavor. Have a Kaywoodie 13b Author that seems a perfect match. If this is a straight burley, sign me up.

BigWhiteWilly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigWhiteWilly (9)
Overwhelming None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

OMG! This stuff kicks your buck. I've been smoking a pipe for almost 40 years and it still buckled my knees. I've smoked 5 or 6 bowls in a corncob(reserved for burley blends) and the nicotine high was great each time. The best use of this stuff is for mixing into other blends to kick them up a notch or 2, or 6! I recently tried some C&D Haunted Bookshop and liked it well enough, but when I added about 20% of Five Brothers, it really turned it on. I couldn't smoke this everyday, but it's a great mixer and it's great when you need a quick tobacco "fix". Use caution even when it's mixed. All Hail Mistress Nicotine.

pufdragn63 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pufdragn63 (13)
Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A pipe smoking mate sent me a sample of this one - so my 'review' is based on just two smokes in a Falcon pipe. The 'harmless' floral pouch aroma sort of lulls one into a false sense of security. How could something that smells like potpourri have such a notorious reputation? Being a shag cut it lights easily and stays lit. The smoke is really quite pleasant, cool and bite free. I don't know how to describe the taste apart from saying it's a Burley with a nice background sweetness. Then, just as you're leaning back with your feet up, the nicotine kicks the door down, stomps in and smacks you. I actually FELT my heart rate go up. I couldn't imagine smoking this every day, but it sure was fun to try.

A little old lady with a hammer in her handbag.

WillardFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillardFan (68)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Tolerable

OK, I went to a lot of trouble to find this stuff, where I live in Indiana, and I have to tell you that it wasn't what I was expecting. My tobacconist told me that this isn't pipe tobacco. It's a RYO blend, like Tops and Bugler. Before my wonderous appreciation for the pipe, I was a twenty year smoker of cigarettes, and this tobacco is definitely in that category. I didn't care for the taste, rather bland actually. Burned OK, only required one light, and no icky dottle. Now this stuff is pretty strong - nicotine wise - it really left my head swimming, and I didn't inhale either. Unless your into self-flogging, or some other form of self abuse, I would skip this one. Now where is that pouch of Sir Walter?

I'm giving this one a single star because believe it or not, I've smoked worse stuff than this, but that was by accident...

AcworthAl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AcworthAl (20)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

I thought Five Brothers was a Hip-Hop band, boy was I wrong. I purchased a carton of this early this week. My first impression is this is cigarette tobacco, but what the heck. I loaded it into a Corn Cobb, for some reason that seemed like the best pipe to smoke this stuff. Boy was I pleasantly surprised. This is a real nice smoke. It did not bite and has a good deal of nicotine. It has one short coming, it smokes very fast. This is a great early morning smoke with your first cup of coffee. It smokes cool and somewhat sweet, burns to an ash and has a better than expected room note. On top of all of that it is very inexpensive. This would be a wonderful tobacco for a person wanting to stop smoking cigarettes. However, I doubt a first time pipe smoker could handle this stuff, as it is strong and if one were to take too big a slip, it could be tragic.

KINGCOLE Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KINGCOLE (10)
Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is burley in the nude. As such, it does what burley should do. It smokes cool when packed well and tastes rather neutral,with some mild cigar notes and earthy overtones. Since the cut is so fine and the condition of the tobacco is dry, 5Bro will burn fast, so careful packing and gentle puffing are in order. This makes a nice, satisfying, quick smoke for when you don't have the time or concentration to spend on contemplation of a bowl of something more complex and you are not in the mood for something flavored, like PA or Carter. This is also good for cooling down hot mixtures. I blended 5Bro with some overly-mature Dunhill 965 that was harshly hot and the sting went right out of the mixture. When I have a bit of tobacco left at the end of a tin that isn't quite enough for a bowl, 5Bro is the perfect blending partner. I'd pay a lot more for this, but I'm glad I don't have too (at least until the SCHIP bill passes). I recently found a link to a book entitled "The City of Louisville and a Glimpse of Kentucky" by Young Ewing Allison, published in 1887. This brand, mentioned by name, was already a big seller for Finzer Brothers way back then. Five Brothers truly is a blast from the past.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

my oh my its a burly blend (and it should be considered as such, so no big hopes should be anticipated). the blend is dark in color and the tobacco is some what dry, yet as the description claim it delivers nic like no other burly blend does! taste is slightly different and it reminds me of dark birds eye blend although the latter is viginia! it comes in shag cut which makes up for easy pack and low maintenance fast smoke. the bowl is dry and very fine ash is the result by the end of the smoking session. as expected the smell is not friendly any time soon but the price is right! goes well with black coffe as it have a proper punch to start the morning with.

Strong Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

Five Brothers. The one and only Five Brothers I have heard so much about. The ass kicker! The one that makes on pass out! The evil weed!

Well, I picked one of my old well caked Kaywoodies for the occation, sat out on the dock so I would not bother anybody, and filled my pipe and lit up. Expected a mule kick! Expected to double over and get dizzy! But..........damn, I like it! I mean a lot!!

So I sat there and smoked the whole bowl right down to the bottom getting ash in my mouth, and I really love it! No tongue bite, no "n" attack, no sore throat, nothing but pleasure. If this is an ass kicking, then I'll take another. In fact, I am going to smoke this for a few days and that case of it on SF classified might get taken. I mean, I was disappointed when I got to the bottom, I wanted more! I get a nice, rich, smooth smoke that stays lit and has a sweet note and aftertaste. Kind of like Granger on steriods! But I like Granger. I like this. Maybe I really am an old codger because I see why they liked it. I wonder why I never have seen it down here in S. Texas?

Pagercat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pagercat (41)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

I cannot see what all the fuss is about this blend as I found it to be quite loverly. The room note is not unlike a salad dressing...or a Summer's Eve...

In the bag, one might mistake this tobacco for potpourri. If Glade ever made an air freshner spray from this blend it could be called "Floral Fanny" or some other like feminine motif.

Throughout the bowl I noticed that I started craving herbal tea...romance novels...ABBA music and Fabio. I decided that this would be my last bowl of Five Brothers because my breasts were starting to grow larger and I was feeling PMS coming on. I ditched the bowl before I found myself menstrating and got a tin of Dunhill 965.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

After smoking this girly blend, I am convinced that no self respecting male pipe smoker would buy this garbage. Upon opening the bag, it smelled like roses. The long stemmed type that you buy for your wife after being out all night drinking with prostitutes.

This is such a pansy tobacco, you'll find yourself wanting to eat ice cream,watch Drew Barrymore films and cuddle after sex.

Save yourself the agony of smoking this and go fetch yourself a man's smoke like Prince Albert.

bluejohnwilli Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bluejohnwilli (5)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Tolerable

not sure this is realy pipe tobacco more like dutch shag cig tobacco maybe drum or samson. i didnt find it that strong , an ok quick smoke burns away very quick. but great for breaking in a new pipe . if you want a good strong tobacco try braken flake or gawiths 1792 . but this is only my opinion. give it a try.

Very Strong None Detected Medium Strong

I'm definately overmatched in trying to offer the best review of this blend. BriarChef wins hands down (in fact, he may have posted the best review in the history of TRC).

So, I'll be brief... An ultra fast burning, high nicotine shag cut old time Burley that is in a league of its own. The taste is of plain old Burley with an ever so slight hint of natural sweetness upon first light (which may, in fact, be the last light you'll ever see), and a Joe Louis knockout punch by the time the last shred is consumed.

I loved this stuff so much that I may even smoke a second bowl when I regain consciousness.

½ bowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
½ bowl (37)
Strong None Detected Very Full Very Pleasant

The bottom line first: neutral Burley taste and aroma in a non-aromatic blend.

The details: I opened the pouch and found a tangled nest of dry, ultra-fine shag. I fired it up cautiously because it looked like it could flare-up and singe my nose hairs and eyebrows; but it lit up OK and stayed lit right to the bottom of the bowl. It produces good smoke volume and is smooth despite its strength in both taste and nicotine. It burns about twice as rapidly as most other tobaccos.

4 stars if you need a quick tobacco fix, say, on a work break, etc.

3 stars if you?re sampling Burleys: old-timey but unique.

2 stars if you?re a Burley-phile seeking the best.

1 star for beginners and persons in search of complexity, nuance and sophistication.

BriarChef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarChef (100)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Looking for that "drugstore" blend? A blast from the past? A bit of nostalgia? Need an ass kicking? These boys will open a six pack of whoop ass like you haven't experienced in a good long while. Made up the road in Loovul, KY.

I remember the old geezers smoking this stuff when it came in a paper pouch. Just the smell put me on one knee. When I first smoked it, it put me on both knees. They had to rock my head back and forth to get my lips unstuck from the bathroom tiles. Crikey!

This is some serious stuff, especially if you're a twelve year old boy.

Forty years later and it still hasn't learned any manners. How you can tell if it's fresh or not escapes me.

"Mind if I smoke?"

"Not at all. Mind if I puke?"

Made when men were men, and sheep were terrified.

bighitter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bighitter (37)
Strong Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

First of all, please read BriarChef's review below. That's the funniest thing I've read in a long time. So I hate to follow that, but I'm excited about finally getting ahold of some of this legendary pipe tobacco. It's really fantastic if you like Burleys, a little more peppery in flavor (not that it bites) and deceptively smooth. I believe the strength is related to the high surface area of the ultra fine shag cut. In my opinion, it's composed of high quality tobacco, and the nicotine feel and taste are very clean.

AnalogMoz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AnalogMoz (9)
Very Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

Makes the eyes water, I catch myself moving my head to dodge the smoke. Puts fear into you. Dries out the mouth. Burns with the rapidity of a forest fire. Delicious! Cigarette smokers who want to remain physically active, take note--you can cease cigarettes with this brand--this tobacco will keep you from reaching for a stick afterwards. Taste is subdued nut. Clean burning. Although cut fine and is fairly dry in pouch, this does not bite. Room note will not make you friends, but is no worse than any cigarette. This is one of the only tobaccos that have made me sit up and take notice. I get bored with any weed whose strength is rated "Medium" or lower on these boards--if you find yourself in this boat, try this upfront tobacco. I don't get the sweats from this particular smoke, but many, many people could. A 1.25oz pouch of this treat (with taxation) from my local grocer is $3 even. (Cleveland, Ohio) So it's not expensive by any means, and you get a lot of kick with this product. Final word: real burley, good price, satisfies. Not for those avoiding Lady Nicotine.

---Oops! Meant to give it 3 stars!

Very Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Ah, Five Brothers...lots of good memories here. In the early 1960s I worked summers in the steel mills of northern Ohio. I was just a college kid and new to pipe smoking. Many of the old hands smoked Five Brothers and I began to enjoy it over all other brands of that era. Tastes change and now I smoke the more refined full English blends but still crave a pipe of this from time to time and always keep a little on hand. Good stuff, hope it remains available but doubt it will.

XDipper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
XDipper (30)
Very Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

After repeated steers from Gnossos and Morleysson on this one, I finally broke down and procured four pouches from Mars Cigar and decided to see what all the fuss was about.

The comparison to OJK is probably approriate. Like OJK this one is right on the edge of harsh but never quite gets there. OJK is a bit more complex though as Five Brothers is straight up, in your face, uber strong burley. Three things will immediately attract your attention about Five Brothers. First is the very unusual cut (a combination of shag and birdseye). It packs well and burns a little on the quick side but not hot or bitey. The second thing is the absolutely amazing nicotine wollop. Shaking hands, hiccups and the ability to hear my beard grow seem to be common side effects. Pair this one up with a good cup of coffee first thing in the morning and you're good to go all day long. Finally, and perhaps most remarkably this blend has an extremely smooth and smokeable quality about it. Given the nicotine wollop I almost instinctively braced for a harsh or overly bitter taste. It never came. This is good straight up old school burley with enough nicotine to put a horse on its backside.

Not for the faint of heart, the beginner or the non-burleyphile but a stalwart addition to my rotation. I will undoubtedly keep this one on hand.

gnossos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gnossos (39)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This stuff is great. If you don't want to try a pouch tobacco, try Old Joe Krantz by C&D. I find it to be very similar taste-wise, but more complex and rich. However, I love me some Five Brothers!

The strength does not bother me. It's just nice. The flavor is smooth. Probably the most flavorful and complex non-aromatic OTC blend I've come across. Hopefully it's not goin' anywhere...

Wriggles Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wriggles (44)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

Update: I was astonished to see this tobacco in a large grocery chain in my area. I immediately bought another package. I am upgrading to three stars from my initial review. This tobacco really is growing on me. Hiccups and tightness aside, this stuff is tasty burley. I think a cob is best for this tobacco. I think I'll try smoking this tobacco while playing golf with antique hickory shafted clubs. (I'm not ready for knickers yet.)

I saw this tobacco in a little newstand while visiting. The clerk told me that one of her customers buys 3 packages a week. I was so astonished I asked if the customer was still alive. She told me he was at least in his seventies. So much for smoking is bad for the health. My grandfather smoked and chewed Five Brothers and Cutty Pipe, and he lived to 83.5 years old.

Anyhow, this is what men smoked in the early twentieth century. I filled a smaller cob lightly, and lit up. As others have said, not for the faint of heart. A harsh, bitter flavor initially, but faimtly, I could taste the nutty, mellow burley in the background. Although I tried to sip as slowly as I could, I immediately got hiccups, and later, my chest became tight. The nicotine content must be extremely high. I only get hiccups if I puff too fast on any other tobacco.

A pouch should last me a long time. Will smoke a pipe of this once in a great while. Well, in a nutshell, Five Brothers tobacco is a trip into the past, from a world long gone. When men were men, and women were glad of it.

dogsplayinpoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dogsplayinpoker (6)
Medium Medium Full Unnoticeable

I received a couple bowls worth from an acquaintance and was immediately taken aback with the cut. I have tried shags before but this was cut much finer. Reminded me of wheat-germ. I have read that this is uber-strong in nicotine content but I did not find it to be overpowering. I enjoyed it immensely. It does burn very fast so don't use it in a smoking contest. No relights, no bite, no gurgle. Just pure tobacco. Enjoy!

garyh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
garyh (3)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

Curiosity made me purchase a couple of pouches and try this tobacco. Shag cut burley tobacco a bit dry in the pouch with larger bits of stem mixed in. Easy to fill a pipe and light. Somewhat mild bitter and nutty taste, not at all unpleasant. Burned easily down to the bottom of the bowl with just one extra light. Not the nicotine strength that I expected from reviews, but nonetheless a very strong tobacco in that regard. I enjoy five brothers as a change. Reminds me of what my grandfather would roll and smoke. For me that alone made it worth while.

rsvp2rip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rsvp2rip (27)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

Well I didn't think this was bad, but I got a pack-a-day habit anyways so the nicotine kick wasn't bad at all for me. I opened the pouch, saw what looked like a cat fight crime scene and left the pouch sit for 2 weeks till I got curious. I used a MM pony and just crammed in a bowl sized pinch and lit. I thought it might catch the house on fire! The shag cut and the tinder dry moisture content made it flare up like a burning bar. It took all of 5 minutes to finish the smoke. Cigarish discribes the first quarter then it just got strong tasting, not bitter, not hay or grass like just pure burley cranked up to ten. I'm not gonna put this in my rotation, but I think I will revisit it once in a while.

Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Pure Burley isn't my usual cup of tea, but I just had to give this "legend" a try. The shag cut scared me at the beginning, together with the low moisture found (as expected) into the nice pouch. But here came the first surprise: it burns remarkably cool and slow, the taste is nutty and the overall impression is that of a very satisfying evening smoke. You can't expect complexity or subtleties here, just raw power; you should try it at least once in your life!

Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

I bought some to see what all the fuss is about. My recommendation....Buy some rolling papers and make it into cigarette. Don't inhale! Not bad. I don't advise trying in a pipe unless you have a really small bowl. In a pipe it burns much too fast and becomes harsh. I probably won't buy any more unless I take up R.Y.O. cigarettes. Not likely.

P.S. How on earth are you supposed to chew this stuff?

aka pipeman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aka pipeman (1)
Medium Mild Mild Tolerable

When I saw the legendary 5Bros at the drugstore I couldn't resist. This turned out to be a fine cut (US term) dark fired tobacco - something that goes back to the colonial era (barely) and was very typical until say WWI. I was suprised that the blend wasn't hot though it burned quick. In a straight pipe I found no strength to speak of, only in a large bent do I feel it, sometimes having to lay down. If you really want something strong try Cotton Bol. Its ALOT stronger. The dark fired a friend sent me made the cotton bol seem like candy. There is a certain thrill in smoking a truely strong tobacco, one that actually makes you feel that tobacco could be a drug. 5Bros isn't it. Still its a very historic blend, and should be the first choice of reenactors. It is lightly flavored and slightly smoothed but a crude, rude vapor eminates from the bowl. This is not a refined tobacco. The taste is fairly mild but with repeated smokes the 'tang' builds in the pipe. This is characteristic of dark tobacco, and air-cured Green River shares this quality. It has its charms, and is worth trying. I'm not sure I'll get it again. When I want something like this I want much, much more strength, and a cut that can be blended with other tobaccos. String cuts are real hard to work with.

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (71)
Overwhelming None Detected Overwhelming Strong

This tobacco is a throwback to years gone by. Shag cut, strong burley tobacco for smoking, chewing or other medicinal purposes.

Those tall, small diameter bowls (stacks) are the best for this sort of cut. If the bowl is wider than your pinky finger then it's probably too wide.

Other reviewers have described the smoking experience very well. This is strong tobacco with no frills.

CJ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CJ (45)
Overwhelming None Detected Overwhelming Extra Strong

The appearance of this tobacco is that of a cigarette cut with birdseye flecks of the leaf stem. I have rolled this into a cigarette, and it makes for a very tasty smoke. It is not overpowering in this form due to the smaller surface area of a cigarette as compared to a pipe.

In a pipe, this is a very powerful and strong tobacco. The taste and room aroma are very cigar like. It is definitely one of the strongest tobaccos that I have ever tried. In the pipe, it is a pure nicotine hit. If you are trying to cut down or quit cigarettes, this will help. It is not necessary to inhale to get a full dose of nicotine. In fact, it is too strong to inhale unless you want to knock yourself out. If you smoke cigarettes, there will be no need to reach for a cigarette after smoking this. There is nothing esoteric to this blend. It is a pure cigar like nicotine loaded power bar. If you make it to the bottom of the bowl, you will find nothing but a dark gray ash. It is inexpensive and may be worth sampling to see how powerful, and strong a tobacco can be.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)
Extremely Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

Appearance: Really odd cut, very fine with random "birds eyes". Seems to be cut straight across the leaf, including the rib. I have never seen a finer cut. Color is mostly dark brown.

Aroma: Thae aroma is straight burley, almost a hay smell with some richer, but unidentifiable component.

Packing: The tobacco packs easily in small pipes. I have not tried it in larger pipes, and probably will not.

Lighting: Lights almost too easily because of the fine cut.

Initial flavor: Strong and sharp flavor, almost like a cheap stogie.

Mid-bowl: Not much changes in the middle third. Still strong and tends to leave my mouth quite dry.

Finish: Even stronger, but the pipe stays dry. This is probably because it's drying up my saliva as I smoke it.

Tried in the following pipes: Several cobs, several bowls on a Falcon.

Summary: Possibly OK when a short smoke is needed, but generally not recommended for daily consumption. If this is what pipe smoking was like before WWII, it's surprising that the habit survived.

morleysson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
morleysson (23)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Five Brothers, the pride of the string cut tobaccos, the stuff of legends. For smoking or chewing; that alone should be the first indication that this brand is not for the faiint of heart. Five Bros is another one of those brands that I rememeber from my years growing up in Philadelphia. It was sold in a brown paper cylinder with a clay pipe in red and black and the mark of the John Finzer Company. It is now sold in a foil pouch, but still as exciting.

This was, and is, a string cut, or shag, largely from bottom leaves. Also known as "bird's eye" because of the method of cutting keeps stems in with the tobacco. See the Sherlock Holmes stories for the descriptions of shag tobacco. If moist and fresh, it can almost be smokable; not fragrant and flavorful, but smokable. If dry, it is Satan's blow torch.

Assuming that the pouch you obtain is fresh, you will find that the tobacco leaves the pouch in long strands, packing easily with just that spring in the bowl. I prefer a smaller bowl, perhaps a cob or clay, a meerschaum will also work well. The first light or two is sufficient to bring large blue-gray clouds in the room. That's a tobacco aroma, bitter and full. Five Bros has a characteristic nicotine "kick" that appears about 1/4 into the bowl, discernible but not overwhelming. By the 1/2 of the bowl. you may develop a tightness in the chest which will pass, leaving you w/ hiccups. Sipping water or coffee while smoking alleviates this sensation. 3/4 bowl and the full effect comes into play. You are now fully aware that you have been smoking a real tobacco. The mouth may be dry, or drier than you've become used to, your clothes are now imbued with the tobacco aroma, and the bowl is left with fine white/gray ash. This is what smoking was really like before WWI, which is why so many of the early 20th century pipes had smaller bowls.

AS said, not for the frail or the weak- intentioned. I could never smoke more than two bowls a day of this tobacco, and certainly never consecutively. It is, however, great to rescue pipes that have had crummy aromatics smoked in them.

Others in this family of high nicotine string cuts were Honest, Ivanhoe, Cutty Pipe, and Penn's Best. I have smoked them all and I cannot recommend them to any but experienced smokers because of their burn and noxious qualities.