After centuries of undisturbed slumber, something has awakened them. In their return, a great plume of exotic smoke rises from the Deep, redolent with notes of Latakia, Katsuri, Virginias, Burley, Perique, and black Cavendish.

ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Packaging2oz Tin
Tolerable to Strong
J.R. Patton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J.R. Patton (106)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Huge fan of H.P. Lovecraft's mythological horror works. So, browsing new tobacco on the Cornell & Diehl website, I was thrilled to see a few blends with cryptic names familiar to all Lovecraft fans. I didn't even look at contents or descriptions, I just ordered what I could find. And this is the first one tried.

The tin art is simple and suggestive - matte black with algae green lettering, complete with tentacles and a brief reference to the reawakening of the Elders. Popping the lid, you're met with dominant smoky, leathery latakia, some sour notes of orientals, and a peaty sweetness of perique and VA. Cut is a mid-length shag and is of typical makeup. I've not had experience with Katsuri before, but I'm assuming it's the yellowish white pieces seen in the mixture.

Just a tad damp, I air dry for about 15 minutes to get it perfect packing ready. On lighting, I'm surprised at first to find the latakia does not take center stage, but shares the lead in a mid-range fashion. I get plenty of its fermented smokiness, but I equally get an interesting tartness from the Katsuri leaf...interesting because it's not as bright or high-end as most orientals I'm familiar with. The burley is discernible with some nuttiness backing up the tart, but I can't seem to place the VA or black cavendish. I can tell the cav is smoothing the smoke down, but it's tastefully done.

I'm happy to have tried this blend, but I want to see what age will do to it. There's nothing to it that really rocked my world, but it's a solid 3 stars for now. C&D always puts out quality tobacco and this one is no exception. I'm excited to see what the other Lovecraftian blends will bring to the table.

Age When Smoked: Fresh tin