The recipe for Erinmore Mixture is a closely guarded secret which is revealed to only two people in each generation. It is known, however, that the tobaccos are selected from the premier tobacco growing regions of the world, naturally sweetened bright Virginia is hand blended with cool-smoking black cavendish to produce the unique flavor and distinctive aroma of Erinmore. More than that we cannot reveal. A mellow aromatic tobacco with a cool taste and a slow-burning easy-smoking style.

TIN DESCRIPTION: Erinmore Mixture is a slow-burning blend of Virginia, Burley and Black Cavendish tobaccos.

Notes: Produced by Murray's Sons until 2005.

BrandScandinavian Tobacco Group (STG)
Blended ByScandinavian Tobacco Group

2.2
Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (150)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

Erinmore mixture: a much maligned tobacco - particularly by those, like myself, who enjoy the occasional Erinmore flake. However, I have to place myself in the minority and admit to liking this blend.

Tin note of peach cobbler, hint of pineapple. Sugar, and a faint aroma of fresh bread.

The charring light is very sweet and citrusy: initial flavors include pineapple, mandarin orange, a hint of lemon. I can understand why some find this sour tasting. I would say, "tart". After the first quarter bowl, I detect more pronounced lemony flavors. For lack of a better analogy, this reminds me of the old, cheap candy Lemon Heads from my childhood. Very, very tart.

Doesn't immediately bite but smokes hot. Definitely could bite if pushed. Sip this one slowly.

The blend mellows out by mid-bowl and settles down to a nice smoke. Despite the pronounced citrus flavoring, there is definite tobacco flavor here, with the cavendish in the background and the VaBur element center stage. I agree with reviewer Honzz that there is an "earthy" backbone to this blend, at least by mid bowl as the flavoring agent begins to mellow, that is somewhat reminiscent of good, rich coffee - or perhaps good, natural, hot cocoa (without added sugar). During the final third, the blend smoothens out nicely and by the final puffs there is a more noticeable chocolaty, cocoa flavor that I presume is the burley asserting after most of the flavoring agent has been burned off.

Overall an interesting crossover blend. A citrus flavored VaBur that is distinct enough from Erinmore Flake to be worth a try for those who enjoy such flavors. Enough backbone for those who enjoy tobacco. Probably not one I would cellar, not being a big fan of citrus, but a credit to the genre.

Reggietom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Reggietom (7)
Medium Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This is my favourite, everyday over the counter tobacco. I love it's flavour, I find if you smoke it slowly there is no tongue bite and it does not burn too hot.
Room note is very pleasant and it's not so strong that 1 bowl a day is enough, I smoke it all day everyday.

Pipe Used: Peterson, 317 and Rocky Donegal

Purchased From: Tesco Roborough Plymouth UK

Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

The Virginia is hay-like and grassy with a hint of earth, and some citrus as the main component. The nutty, earthy burley is a secondary player. The black cavendish has a slight sugary vanilla note in a minor role. The toppings are tropical citrusy tart with apricot, butterscotch, plum, pear (took me a while to figure it was pear), and anise. It’s also a little foral. There is no pineapple in it, but I notice something similar to it, apparently from the interactions of the fruity toppings, which are the stars. The flavors remains consistent to the end, but due to the acidity level of the toppings, this aromatic blend can burn hot and nip at your tongue if you puff much beyond a moderate pace. The nic-hit is mild to medium. Has a very consistent flavor all the way through. Needs a few relights, and leaves a little moisture in the bowl. The after taste and room notes linger. Not an all day smoke.

This is my all time favorite Virginia tobacco, Erinmore Mixture is not an aromatic ( in fact,you can call it whatever you want ) but this is an Erinmore, it tastes Erinmore and it smells Erinmore, it has a special flavor that is very similar to... Erinmore.

it is unique, and superior to ANY other modern Virginia out there.

Erinmore Mixture is another one of those no longer produced blends. It is not similar at all to Erinmore Flake as the components and toppings are very different. Unlike Erinmore Flake, this one contains quite a bit of Black Cavendish that actually keeps the smoke cooler than the Flake version. It certainly does have a "unique" topping that some will love and others will hate.

I fall somewhere in between. Not enough oomph to satisfy me.

It is easy to load and keep smoldering.

Erinmore Mixture.

I have been looking forward to this one for a while now! When I open it the first thing I get is a terrific fruity aroma from it, which is very intriguing! To be not so positive it is a little on the damp side so a small amount of airing to diminish the moisture amount is required. On inspection it is quickly obtainable that it is mostly Virginia with only a smaller amount of black Cavendish.

Once it has aired (needing only about an hour per bowlful) it takes to igniting easily and gives an impeccable, steady and consistent burn. The temperature of the smoke is a moderate one, neither too hot nor cool. Flavour next, unique, I know there are a few added fruit, citrus and pineapple flavours but for me the pineapple steals the show out of them all! This is a real treat as in the tobacco world it's conventionally cherry, vanilla or coffee but this makes a great change and by retro-haling it the pineapple becomes even more enlarged. Nicotine now, a great amount for me, not strong or weak. Tongue bite? This one does tend to bite a little if I go too harshly so I gently sip it and that abates the aggressive side enough to enjoy the flavours. Room note now, this is mainly a Virginia hay one with a slight zest likeness there also, a plus point is that it's not heavy at all so will not offend many people around you.

This one scores 3 stars not 4 solely for the subjective reason that I find the pineapple a little monotonous after a short while.

Somewhat recommended.

Pipe Used: Butz Choquin

Purchased From: Smoke King

Black Sheep Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Black Sheep (25)

I enjoy this blend; however, I am a lover of English blends and often shy away from the stronger aromatics. The description noted above identifies this blend as an aromatic, so if you're a lover of powerful tobaccos soaked in sugary casing type stuff, then take my review with a large grain of proverbial salt. That said, I agree with the previous two or three reviewers, this is a blend that I can smoke repeatedly throughout the day, and it never leaves my mouth with the odd filmy taste that sometimes accompanies the stronger aromatics. There is enough casing to impress a bystander while possessing enough depth to make this an excellent contemplative smoke. I would also recommend this blend as an accompaniment with a wee dram in the afternoon, just remember to discipline your smoking and try and keep the bowl cool (as with any tobacco).

Pipe Used: Britannia - Straight Billiard

Age When Smoked: New, then again aged

gam86 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gam86 (49)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Mild Unnoticeable

I've should listen to the reviews instead of get fascinated by the tin. The flavoring is somewhat lost in the tobacco and it is a fight to keep its bite away. Not a relaxing smoke.

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (139)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

This is another I purchased due to reading so much about it on here. The reviews seemed to be mixed so I thought I'd assuage my curiosity and give it a go.

The smell on opening the packet really increased my anticipation, a good waft of currant bun greeted my nostrils as I dived in. The packing and lighting were sensibly easy, so far so good. Once again, the currant bun flavour appeared along with a good hint of citrus, quite nice I thought, especially when hints of pineapple popped up occasionally. Sadly though, there is something rough about this, something I can't quite put my finger on this, something that hits the back of the throat and the roof of the mouth. It's almost like they've made the perfect hot cross bun and garnished it with sandpaper.

So there we go nice flavour with more than a hint of rough. I'm not sure if it's a case of it being made with floor sweepings from some good tobaccos or added a very good casing to some bad ones. I think I can understand why a lot of people like this one, there is a good flavour in here. However, for me I can only quote the venerable James May "It's like they came up with the recipe for a perfect shepherds pie and then made it with dog meat!".

pipealicious Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipealicious (21)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I left the pipe aside for about 10 yeers or so, for various reasons. Since autumn 2009 I picked up pipe smoking again and awarded myself with a new pipe and some new tobaccoes. I bought a 50g tin of this as my first tobacco at my local tobacconist in Belgium for a very resonnable price of 5,90 Euros.

The tin looked fairly new (no production date mentioned)and is produced in Denmark by the Scandinavian Tobacco Group. Upon opening the tin i noticed beautiful yellow golden thin ribbon cut Virginia tobacco, with here and there some dark brown and black speckles. The aroma was a very strong but inviting mixture of raisins and especially apricots. The tobacco was densely packed in the tin and fairly moist, so i let it dry out for a few hours every time i smoked it.

The tobacco packs easily. I never got any tongue bite or dottle, and I smoked it fairly fast. It burns cool to a light grey ash.

The taste is citrus and grassy, like a young Virginia. I would recommend is as a summer or morning smoke. A very high quality and affordable tobacco for people who like young and fruity Virginia blends. The taste and tin aroma gets better as it is exposed to some air and has time to dry out a bit.

I will defenitely buy more of this.

Sojang Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sojang (13)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is one of those blends that you either love or hate. It's that simple. I've smoked both the mixture and the flake for the past 22 yrs. In all those years I have found nothing like it. I've found this smokes best in a small bowl.

Griswold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Griswold (18)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I like Erinmore Mixture almost as much as I like Erimore Flake and when buying new tobacco at my favorite store I usually grab a tin of whatever is on the shelf without giving a second thought.

Compared to the flake version, it is a bit less strong in terms of nicotine, the topping is a bit more intense and it burns a tad faster due to the cut.

So, if you like aromatic tobaccos which are not super-mild and still have a good 'tobacco-base' topped by an non-VanillaMangoCherry flavoring , try Erinmore Mixture.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Medium Strong Medium Pleasant

This is NOT the rubbed-out version of ERINMORE FLAKE. The rubbed-out version of ERINMORE FLAKE is ERINMORE READY-RUBBED. This is an independent mixture containing heavily cased Cavendish leaf, which the other offerings do not have. The famous?or notorious? Erinmore flavouring has thus been added with a trowel to a base tobacco much weaker than the excellent, and potent, Virginia-only composition of PLUG, FLAKE, AND READY-RUBBED.

I thoroughly dislike this Cavendish aromatic, which is a kind of exploitation formula not really related to the others under the same cachet.

If you wish to explore the possible reasons why this line of tobaccos have been favourites with many smokers over 80 years, try the PLUG.

L'Italiano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
L'Italiano (170)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

ERINMORE MIXTURE (EM) and Erinmore Flake (EF) have some similarities, but actually they are two completely distinct blends with a lot of differences. Here I want to speak about the differences between these two peculiar blends, from the point of view of Erinmore Mixture compared to Erinmore Flake. Similarities: first of all they have the same base Virginia and Burley. Secondly, both are flavored blends. Thirdly they have a common fruity note. And here I stop. Now the differences that are many more. Above all the cut: EF is, as the name suggests, a classic flake. EM is a ribbon cut, very similar to a loose cut. Secondly the recipe: EM contains Black Cavendish and it is more aromatic than EF because it is employed a cased Black Cavendish. Thirdly the flavoring: EM is not only fruity. It has also a slightly Lakeland flavoring that is not present in EF (I never detected it). Overall the flavoring is mild in EF while in EM is stronger. Fourth the strength: EF is stronger than EM. In EF there is a greater nicotinic “boost”. Fifth and last the tobacco taste: EF has a real tobacco taste that EM doesn’t have. In conclusion, EF is more natural, more spicy while EM is sweeter, more aromatic. Again, EF is a Virginia/Burley mixture slightly flavored with the tobacco taste in a leading role while EM is a flavored blend, a classic aromatic mixture. In my opinion and in my personal rating system (from 1 to 10) for Erinmore Mixture my score is 7 and two stars (9 and three stars for Erinmore Flake - see review).

Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I just finished a sample of this from a 1973 tin which always presents a problem when it comes to reviews, particularly when I have not tried it fresh. At 42 years, two things should have happened with this blend. The Virginias should have increased in sweetness and the topping should be less than it was fresh.

I will say that I loved what I smoked. It is right up there with many other aromatics that I love. Meaning the topping was light and did remind me of Juicy Fruit gum as so many people indicate. I do love the taste of the gum and apparently, I like the topping as well. The tobacco is pretty strong and earthy. It is bold enough to satisfy the nic craving yet delicate enough to merely compliment the topping. It reminded a little of Autumn Evening in its character even though the toppings couldn't be more distinct.

This, as I tasted it is a four star aromatic in my book, but with five bowls through a 40 year old sample, I will leave it at 3 for now and will, no doubt, buy some fresh in the near future.

Fred T Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fred T (67)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I haven't smoked Erinmore since college 50 years ago, so I was eager to give it another try. I think that's it's changed somewhat since then. The current version is a nice aromatic with a faint pineapple taste. It's a pleasant smoke with a fairly strong nicotine hit. I prefer more modern aromatics, such as McClelland's CORPS Vanilla Ice, which I rate as a 4. Erinmore gets a 3.

Pipe Used: Dunhill

Age When Smoked: 3 months.

Kunsan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kunsan (76)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought a pouch of this because it's always on display in my local shop and I wanted to 'see for myself' what this tobacco is all about.

Unfortunately my experience was poor. Nicely packed in a good quality pouch, attractive smell, slightly damp to the touch. Burns hot right from the start, telltale tingling on the tongue giving a warning of tongue bite after only a dozen puffs or so. Smoke quality is like cigarettes, I suppose because this has a high percentage of mild virginias. Not attractive.

I emptied my pipe and threw the pouch of tobacco away.

Glad that I tried this one, if only to be able to make a mental note never to buy it again and thus cross it off my list of potential tobaccos.

The negative reviews here are all justified. This is a poor quality product, burns very hot, smells and tastes like cigarettes.

Tonio50 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tonio50 (3)

I bought a packet of this in Derry last April and found it somewhat wet to smoke. I left it in a drawer for about 3 months and gave it another go. I found it to be very tasty with no wetness. A very pleasant smoke. I don't think it deserves the bad reviews it gets here. I will definitely buy more of this blend(sadly not available in southern Ireland)

Pipe Used: Meerschaum

Purchased From: Newsagent in Derry NI

Similar Blends: Ashton - Rainy Day.

Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is review of the Murray's version from mid-1990's.

Foul, fruity tasting heinous smelling, reasonably good leaf with tragic results.

What the aging of this tobacco may have done to it, I don't know. I do remember smoking some in the mid-1990's and being offended by its cloying sour-sweetness, so I do not know why I carried an extra tin into the next millenium. I do wonder how much the mind controls the taste buds, however. When I cracked the tin, I said to myself "I hated this bleepin' stuff way back when and I doubt it's any better now". It wasn't. How much of that was the tobacco and how much was my mindset, I cannot say.

This is neither a good English virginia with a crappy top note nor a good American-style aromatic. It's just a fruit basket of tobacco with fruit that's "gone over". Reminds me of that pathetic abomination Dunhill put together some years ago named Golden Hours. Just really bad, and it does nothing to make me want to try the Flake version, despite the better reviews. Normally I'd give this away but I want to keep what friends I have. Anyone that likes this is made of sterner stuff than I, and I salute them.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Medium Medium to Strong Very Full Tolerable to Strong

I love it, typical of a lot of the good classics, when you first pop the the you think, "what are they all taking about?". By the end you know why it is a classic. There really is nothing else like it. I get rich fruit tea cake from it. I go for it when my regular flakes, aro's or english's don't beckon. And then it always hits the spot. Just picked up the flake version, and I know I am going to love it too.

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (81)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Similar to Erinmore flake but slightly sweeter and tangier. See my review on Erinmore flake.

Courtney Fish Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Courtney Fish (20)

I hail from not too far from where this was originally produced until about 13 years ago, and have managed to get a tin of the original blend but I’m not sure if the seal is still intact and I haven’t the heart to open it to find out. Apparently that is the good stuff… Bought the new stuff instead!

The aroma from the tin is distinctly of Virginia with some indefinable fruit fragrance. Good so far.

Packing and lighting was straightforward and revealed quite strong flavour tobacco with subtle citrus and floral tones and a hint of orchard fruit sweetness but I don’t think a pineapple has been near this.

It burns well with plumes of smoke, which I like, but without much heat and certainly no bite. A couple of relights were needed throughout the bowl and the tobacco reduces to a fine ash with just a little dottle. To me it became a little sickly and perfumey towards the end of a large bowl but found a smaller bowl more satisfying. Heavy but pleasant (not particularly fruity) Virginia room note.

Would like to try this again and make comparison to the pre-2005 version if I can bring myself to open it…

Connoisseur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Connoisseur (44)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Very Mild Tolerable

Erinmore Mixture used to be a favorite of mine I'd smoke on occasion when I felt like a change in pace. I recently opened a newly purchased tin of this with fond memories of the subtle "juicy fruit gum" aroma, sweet taste with a satisfying "tart" finish. However I was very disappointed in this instance. In a similar fashion to Orlik Racing Green, the presentation of the tobaccos was as I remember - though in this instance, the "juicy fruit" top note was barely present. The smoke was mild-medium strength with base components being as I recall, however, there was no flavor or sweetness whatsoever. Certainly not the Erinmore I used to know and love. It almost seems that the new blenders at the STG have decided to drastically tone down the flavors and sweetness in many of their classic blends? Ditto in some respect to Erinmore Flake, where the juicy fruit flavor seems to have been replaced with a milder floral scent IMO.

Similar Blends: Orlik Racing Green.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (187)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I took on this scared more than a bit, due to many unfavourable reviews.

Instead, Erinmore Mixture is not at all bad. I've enjoyed it as an aromatic one of a kind in the british vein. Yes, the pineapple is the first fruit coming in mind, then it appears as a mix of fruits (peaches, pears the Heaven know what mix is it, but it's quite pleasant). I've applied some drying (half an hour) and that is very good to dissipate some of the perfume and humidity. Burns smooth and cool and not bitey, creamy and zesty. The strenght is completely satisfactory. The last third of the bowl is bit difficult to complete, and it tends to plaster the mouth, but nothing much annoying.

Not my usual kind of mixture, but it deserves my consideration for future use.

Pipe Used: Mastro de Paja, Castello, Radice

Age When Smoked: fresh from tin

Similar Blends: none.

Greekpipesmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Greekpipesmoker (152)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

This is a light to medium aromatic blend to me.cut is ok right moist packs ok lights easy.when you open it you get pineapple and citrus.it burns hot so you should go easy.sweet taste a good blend to start your day.to me it's not a must try .erinmore flake is much better with more aromas and generally a better smoking experience.

Age When Smoked: When opened!

Similar Blends: Erinmore flake.

FredLeeks Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FredLeeks (1)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Mild Very Strong

It's like smoking cigarettes. Were it not so overpriced it could be used to cut the occasionally overcased tobaccoes. I have the bad habit to leave unsmoked half bowls for days or weeks while I smoke other pipes...this one has surely left a horrible ghost in my lovely Barbados.... Cannot taste all the aromas some reviewers do, I feel like I am smoking old hay.

Pipe Used: briar, cob

jvnshr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jvnshr (23)
Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

Smoking Erinmore Mixture is like getting married to a stupid hot blonde that will keep you wet all the time but suck your money, disappoint you and then file a divorce after leaving you with a badly burnt tongue. Not Recommended.

Skoma Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skoma (27)

It seems that this tobacco is some kind of classic isn´t it? By opening the tin you are greeted by a puff of pineapple but that quickly fades and leaves a sweet fruty bouquet. The taste offers lots of sweetness and there´s allways nice virginia shimmering through that can also give a little bite here and there. Not much but it reminds you that you smoke tobacco and no candy stuff. The pineapple is almost undetectable here. The tobacco burns smooth right to the end of the bowl. I recomend this blend as nothing special but it is a perfect everyday smoke and for some reason i never get tired of it...

Alhaji Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alhaji (33)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The first pipe tobacco I smoked, the only one available to us in my locality at the time I started smoking a pipe circa 1975, was the Erinmore Mixture. Then, we did not know much about tobacco nor its contents/flavours. We just loaded our pipes and smoked. It seemed fashionable and stood us out and away from our peers who smoked cigarettes. Fast forward to today. I laid hands on a 50g pouch of this tobacco made by the Scandinavian Tobacco Group and was pleasantly surprised at its creaminess and satisfying ability.

I have not yet smoked the Flake though I have a tin in my cellar as I write this and will be able to make comparisons when I 'do' the flake. This is Virginia and Burley with some sweetish Black Cavendish. I don't taste all those toppings that many reviewers have alluded to. But I can say with certainty that there is nothing aromatic about this tobacco. I puffed hard and fast also and do declare that I did not experience any bite whatsoever. I agree with the reviewer 'Perique' that this is a much "maligned tobacco" that, IMO, deserves more favorable reviews.

Pipe Used: Various

Andy7777 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Andy7777 (15)
Medium to Strong Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

As there are many review on this tobacco, I wont say too much. I was however disappointed after the hype. This tobacco is OK, but I found it lacked flavour and was a little bland. This is one of those tobaccos I will not be buying again.

Pipe Used: Briar, Pear wood and Corn Cob

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (300)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I purchased a tin this and one of Erinmore Ready rubbed off Ebay. The Ready Rubbed was terrible but the Mixture is quite nice. I prefer the Flake version and I said about the Ready Rubbed if the reason for buying the Mixture is ease of packing and a time constraint I would instead purchase the flake and rub two or three out into the tin for carrying around. The topping or casing is much more pronounced in the Mixture but it is still mild compared to American aromatics and is very old fashioned and delightful. Whereas the Flake gets 4 stars from me, the Mixture gets 3 since I prefer the cooler smoking Flake but would not hesitate to smoke a bowl if offered or purchase a tin in layover land over Borkum Riff etc.

A friend gave me a large sample of this from Murray production. This is the only Erinmore Mixture I have ever tried, so I can't compare it to modern production.

The smoke is a pleasant Virginia-based aromatic. The topping is citrus, pear and pineapple to my palate. It works fairly well and is fairly sweet. The black cavendish contributes to the sweet and adds slight vanilla note. The Virginias are grassy and pleasant but otherwise non-descript.

This is a good smoke, and it is easy to recommend. I am not likely to buy more, but I would reach for it over plenty of things if someone offered.

NobbyR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NobbyR (79)
Medium Extra Strong Medium Very Pleasant

During the 1970s, this light brown, fine ribbon cut tobacco used to be extremely popular in Germany. It has a very distinctive, sweet tin and room note, in spite of all disclaimers, smelling of pineapple to me. (Some say, this notion is only because of the fruit depicted on the label, which can also be found on the tin of Erinmore Balkan Mixture.) Anyway, to me the scent seems so strong, that I can detect it even from a sealed tin.

Filling and lighting your pipe is quite easy, you can even pack it rather tightly.

Strangely the initial taste is rather domintated by natural tobacco flavors with a sublime sweetness from the Black Cavendish. But after a few puffs it slowly develops a distinct honey sweetness and a pronounced fruity aroma that somehow reminds me of Juicy Fruit gum. Enjoyed slowly and coolly, it's a pleasant, dry and satiable smoke with a high nicotine content. It leaves a greying ash with some black knobs. Beware! This one will ultimately ghost your pipe, an effect that is close to impossible to get rid of.

The room note is a crowd pleaser.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Lilje

Purchased From: Local Tobacconist

Similar Blends: Erinmore Flake.

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (166)

This stuff is not as bad as some think. It's just not as good as the flake. It also packs weird. I found it easy to overpack with very little pressure applied I liked the taste. Especially down towards the bottom of the bowl.

maigret fan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
maigret fan (74)
Very Strong Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

It is a pity that, according to the notice, only two people each generation know about the recipe of that mixture. Perhaps if more people knew about it that would help to improve it! Strange smell in the tin, something like wax or shoe polish. Strong nicotine: some smokers may look for that. Nothing to say about the aroma: did not find what to say. Not the most expensive of tobaccos in a tin but not worth it.

Pipe Used: Parker

Purchased From: Amsterdam

Similar Blends: I would hope not many..

Mac Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mac (19)

There is a reason why this blend has been around for such along time . Its a very pleasant easy smoking aromatic that deserves more praise than it gets.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)

Erinmore Mixture… Years ago I tried several tins of their flake version of this blend and found it way to much of a fruity aromatic for my taste at least at that time, but either my beat-up old palliate has changed (again) or this mixture version is very different, because I'm enjoying this stuff. This ribbon cut version seems to burn better (no surprise) and is much smoother across the board. I found no tongue bite and very little Virginia tongue tingle, which for me makes this blend more enjoyable. Overall IMO a very user friendly smoke, with enough tobacco taste to know your smoking real tobacco, not gum-drops. I would recommend this blend to anyone that found the flake version OK, but too aggressive, and for that matter anybody else that enjoys a easy going ARO. from time to time. For that person...3+ Stars.

tleek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tleek (48)

This is a pretty good blend. I consider myself an English blend man, but as most pipe smokers do, I enjoy a variety every now an then. When I am not smoking an English blend, I enjoy Virginia and vaper blends, and European style aromatics.

There is a real difference in my opinion between American Aromatics, and European, aromatics. The latter being more focused on adding to a particular blend of tobaccos rather than attempting to make a tobacco taste or smell like a particular something else.

Erinmore mixture is definitely a European style Aro, and a great one at that. Perfect for the smoker who enjoys flavor and finesse, and sometimes wants something light and sweet.

The taste of Virginia tobaccos are present throughout the bowl, as is a sort of fruity sweetness. The cavendish adds The tin note reaks of citrusy fruits and maybe vanilla, and the taste resembles that, but much lower key.

A very good blend worth trying.

henwrench Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
henwrench (16)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Strange how some of these tobaccos polarize opinion so much. I grabbed some of this stuff from a newsagents, mainly because I hadn't seen it anywhere before. Yes it's wet, I left mine out overnight to dry. It is also very Clan-like in it's fine ribbon cut and I reckon it's best to pack this lighter than you would normally do so. But what an enjoyable smoke, cool, fairly quick burning and a taste that seems to creep and creep. Mid-bowl, I found myself staring contentedly at nothing in particular, thoroughly lost in a fug of smoke, the odd giggle and chuckle spluttering forth as I sat back in my shed and when I left half an hour later, I kinda wobbled across the yard and back into the house. And to really freak the haters out, mix it half and half with Clan...HA HA!! Wonderful...

mnadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mnadz (66)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I think you need to just have a taste for this. I did not. Also, I could not get past the nasty tongue bite this gave me. I smoked the entire tin, hoping it would get better and it caked my pipe...but it did not. Would never buy this again.

renwardhoop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renwardhoop (106)
Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

I have to admit I expected a lot more from this blend. Alright I tried it in a Captain Black ghosted pipe which didn't help. I'm such a lazy sod when it comes to pipe cleaning.

Realising my error I switched to a virtually new pipe with 9mm filter. Give this blend a fair trial I thought.

I certainly gave it a lot of time but I couldn't get anything other than a very subtle, more like faint, aroma of something in the pouch.

It's soft to the touch reminding me a little of some of the Robert Lewis' tobaccos. There any similarity ends of course.

This blend remains tasteless throughout the smoke and starts getting hot very quickly. Tongue bite, yes. Not a million miles from Ashton's blends in that regard. No saving grace like a nice room note either.

Not the vilest I've ever had the misfortune to try but seemingly lacking in any buy again attributes. Maybe the flake is different but I can't say I'd bust a gut to find out.

Very disappointing, as I Remember this blend being smoked by old guys in the 70's when I was still on fags and it certainly wasn't odourless and tasteless then. Perhaps that is just looking back with the old rose-tinted glasses on.

Pipe Used: All

Purchased From: Morrisons OTC

Similar Blends: Mellow Virginia, Gold Block.

Taylor3006 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taylor3006 (47)

This blend reminds me of Stanwell's Melange only a bit weaker. This is not a bad thing for me, I quite enjoy both but can only smoke Melange every once in a while. Erinmore is a nice gentle smoke, something I could smoke all day. Smells nice, lights up well and stays lit, but I think it could bite if puffed heavily. Really pleasant tobacco, if you like aromatics this one is a fine change of pace.

Northern Pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Northern Pipes (22)

Smell is the key to this one. It smells great in the pouch, the room note is also quite pleasing. The flavour was a little lacking but all the different flavours can be tasted in it. Interesting little thing. As I smoked it, whenever I'd clear my throat or coughed a little, an aftertaste of some sort of berries was definitely present. Not while smoking for me, only when I cleared my throat. The flavouring while smoking was a little citrusy. I'd buy it again, but not my first choice. Good one to have stashed when the mood fancies it.

Lord Clam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lord Clam (5)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

Erinmore Mixture is a pleasant aromatic with a kind of 'citrusy' casing. It leaves a really nice room note and having used it in a number of smoking shelters, it wont offend anyone. Another positive with it is having smoked it in several different pipes and several different weather conditions it burns all the way down to the bottom of the bowl without re - lighting.

The only downside to it is that it gave me major tongue burn, and I kept wondering how nice it would have been without the flavoring! This may have to do with a developing taste for English tobaccos. In general, a nice blend, but I'm not sure I would buy it again.

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (102)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

What a disappointment. I've long enjoyed Erinmore Flake and never felt any need to sample the Mixture. Then I foolishly decided to tack a tin onto a recent order.

The mixture looks nothing like the beautiful dark brown of the flake. Here, we get a fine, ribbon cut mix of golden and red Virginias with a smidge of black Cavendish. The topping — the unique fruit/licorice that defines the brand — is the same here, but it seems more heavily applied in the Mixture. Unlike most, I've always found the aromatics of the Flake to be kind of elegant and restrained, but the same topping on the Mixture seems cloying and overwhelming to the base tobaccos. On top of that, the tobacco of the Mixture burns faster and a little hotter than the Flake.

I suppose that if you can't get enough of the Erinmore topping, the Mixture will be preferable. But beyond that, I don't see any reason to recommend the Mixture.

Lately, I have been smoking Erinmore Mixture in order to compare it with Erinmore Flake. First, let me say that the appearance of the Mixture differs from the Flake in several ways. The mixture is not a broken flake as some have stated. It is a classic ribbon cut, medium in length. With the exception of some black cavendish sprinkled throughout the mixture - and not overdone I might add - the tobacco is noticeably lighter in color than that of the flake. The tin aroma of the Mixture is similar to the flake, but milder overall. I also did not notice much of the incense-laden lemon scent that I experience with the flake. No licorice presence nor anisette this time, but as with the flake, it's note is hard to describe. More fruity than floral - but not fruity in the traditional sense. The state of freshness was just right for packing and lighting - actually easier and with fewer re-lights than with the flake. There was, however, a bit of gurgle that required the use of a pipe cleaner on the average of once or twice a smoke. I expect this to disappear as my tin dries out a bit. The tastes were similar. However, the flake has more depth of flavor, has that very agreeable flowery hint, and makes for a stouter smoke. Like the flake, the tin aroma translated into the smoke, but again like the flake, remained in the background. The Virginia flavor was, from what I can tell, coming from a minimally stoved (if stoved at all) Virginia. It burned slowly and I was rewarded with a cool, pleasurable, and tasty smoking experience. It was never cloying and I would not classify this as an aromatic in the American sense. It was true tobacco flavor from first puff to last, burning to a medium gray ash, and without any bitterness. It does, however, smoke hotter than the flake. Overall, I tend to prefer the flake as it is fuller in taste and stronger overall. I also love the tin and size of the flakes which make for easy carrying and loading. That said, Erinmore Mixture still deserves a solid recommended.

As a side note, my flake tins do not have any mention of Murray Sons & Co. Ltd., whereas the mixture (50gm) tins do. Both their labels say, "Made in Denmark for Peter Stokkebye Tobaksfabrik A/S." I suspect Orlik is the blender.

UPDATE 1-4-11: Tonight on my way to teach an evening class at college, I loaded up an Ascorti New Deer with EM. It was below freezing outside, but inside my car for the 20 minute drive, it was toasty warm. I had one of the best smokes ever from that pipe filled with EM. The taste and resulting "car note" were both beyond description.

Tazman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tazman (4)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

My favorite tobacco.Pleasant and fruity aroma,sweet aftertaste and of course wife doesn't complaining that it stinks:)

ynrozturk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ynrozturk (60)

I'm a fan of aromatics and I had high hopes for this tobacco. I had heard a lot about it so I decided to give it a try.

The tin aroma smells awesome. I instantly got the Virginia's in there, and that alone made me think I was in for a real treat.

Handling was easy; the moisture levels were good so it was easy to pack and light without any hassles. I loaded up my Croci and off we went.. to Hell.

This stuff, I don't know what it is, but the flavoring tastes like a mix of battery acid and some demented fruit way past it's prime. The smoke is harsh, strong, and just downright terrible. I couldn't believe it.. and I really like Erinmore Flake. I didn't think it was possible for this to be as bad as it was for me. Maybe it just didn't agree with my body chemistry.

I sipped patiently to the end of my bowl, fighting the urge to just dump it out. It's an aromatic which is not an aromatic, if that makes sense. The horrible flavor of whatever the hell they put in there should be banned from all existence.

Ugh.

HereComesCharlie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HereComesCharlie (1)

I have never purchased a tin of pipe tobacco. In the 3 years that I have been smoking a pipe, I have bought house blends from the two wonderful tobacconists in my hometown. Each shop has helped me along, let me smell the large glass jars, and been willing to talk pipe tobacco for a generous amount of time. I have tried aromatics, English, and Virginias - the latter of which I still haven't quite figured out, but will I'm sure. I chose Erinmore as my first tinned tobacco. Why? Because I had to start somewhere. So with an open mind, I twisted the tin and was assaulted by a cloying, overwhelmingly sweet fragrance of apricots (people have suggested pineapple, which appears on the tin. Power of suggestion??). I have just enough experience to know that tobacco often tastes different than it smells, so I flashed it up in my beloved meerschaum, my "workhorse" pipe in which I test all new tobaccos. Long story short - the topping was absolutely nonexistant. What remained was just a nasty smoke with no redeeming quality that my olfactory/gustatory senses could discern.I even tried thinking "English" as I sipped, but no go. My next thought was "Dude...why?!?". I'll dry it out, and try again later, but in a country where 50 grams = 30 bucks, ya gotta give me something, Erinmore. Maybe it's me - maybe it's you. But I'm pretty sure it's you.

RHH Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RHH (2)

A very good day to day tobacco. Smooth and sweet. Little need for relighting. It seems to get better with age. Also a good car smoke. Has a good kick and a calming effect in the face of traffic.

I would not smoke this in an evening as I prefer a stronger aromatic tobacco after a good meal.

Nevertheless this Erinmore is what I would describe as a tried and tested. Dependable, reliable, satisfying, even if it is not a taste sensation. It does what it says on the tin.

Pipe Used: Dunhill Black Dress Pipe

Age When Smoked: six months

gabriel luiz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gabriel luiz (5)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Pleasant

First imported tobacco I smoked, a lot because of the more affordable price. Good burn, great taste in the mouth, aroma in the nice room. Would buy again without thinking twice.

Pipe Used: Cured wood.

Purchased From: Tabacaria Falabella, São Paulo, SP - BR

SmokingHawk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokingHawk (27)

Whenever I feel like easy and not too fancy smoke I reach for the Erinmore mixture jar. I can taste the citrusy and some pineapple half way to the bowl. If you smoke it fast it definitely gets hot and bites but if you sip on it you will taste the fruityness till the end. My half bent pipe always gargle when I smoke this mixture.

Age When Smoked: New from the tin

Gariekwong Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gariekwong (5)
Extremely Strong Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

This tobacco is suitable for those who enjoy V meanwhile need N Vitamine. However V appears just at first blow. After that, all is plain. As Burley, B, is at great amount, you could get enough N for your body. There is no pro or con. Just a medicine when you need N. When you focus yourself on working, that is great as you are distracted from what aroma is. I consider it energy supply rathan than tobacco enjoy. I regret I bought it for entertainment. At least, the aftertaste of V is still remarkable. Do not smoke with it for relax. Dunhill English mixture is better for its subtle scent in slowest smoking though a lot of buddies not admire Dunhill English mixture. To be fair, there is odd way to enjoy this pineapple. You should relight it after blend or ashes cooling down. V is remarkable and then feel the aftertaste of B. Extremely time consuming.

Pipe Used: Peterson pipe

Purchased From: HK

Stefanos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stefanos (150)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Erinmore Mixture was the first pipe tobacco I ever smoked some twenty five years ago and though, for one or the other reason, I never bought it again, I have fond memories of it. I was smoking this tobacco on holiday with my then girlfriend at the Island of Santorini. I still remember the exquisite tin note but being inexperienced in pipe smoking I did not know or understand whether it was aromatized or not. With hindsight I can tell that it had a sweet casing of fruity character with vanilla possibly but if the fruit was pineapple or not I cannot tell but it seemed similar and I have no problem calling it “pineapple”. Now the new version is similar to the tobacco I smoked back then, but not exactly the same, at least the tin note which I remember. Still Erinmore Mixture in its current version is an excellent tobacco even if I was disappointed in not getting exactly the same tobacco I smoked back then. Excellent Virginia and Burley leafs used with a very nice mild sweet fruity note added.

It smokes impeccably, slow and cool, no tongue bite, it is sweet but not cloying and it’s a real tobacco. This product is meant for people who like tobacco not aromatics. The flavoring here is only mild -citrucy/pineapple- and very congruent to the tobacco taste which it only sublimates. Strength is medium to full with a healthy dose of nicotine that satisfies and does not overwhelm even if used repeatedly. Easily an all-day tobacco.

Needless to state that this is a high quality aromatic more akin to the Lakeland tradition than either Danish or American aromatics. Deservedly a classic. I find it very similar to Erinmore Flake, differences are mostly due to the cut, and I think the Flake is also more intensely aromatized.

Similar Blends: Erinmore Flake, Rattray's Malcolm Flake.

Amsteracqua Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Amsteracqua (22)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The Erinmore Mixture is a very interesting blend, because your smell are so fresh and citric, but after opened this tobacco loses your freshness... but stand still so aromatic and mellow. I think this tobacco are for all day time. Recommended

michaelc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
michaelc (40)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The more I smoke this tobacco the more it grows in my appreciation. It has a sweetness that is subtle and is maintained throughout the bowl. As to what the flavoring is I am not good at that type of thing. All I care about is that I enjoy its flavor. Its sweetness is accented by a spiciness that is faint in the background. It packs and lights easily burning cleanly to the bottom of the bowl leaving a fine ash. Tobacco tastes are very subjective and as I have noted this blend has been rated all over the place. Let me just say that I like it and I shall buy more in the future.

Pipe Used: Several Large Bowled Briars

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Rob73 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rob73 (77)
Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant

There are few aromatic blends that I like. Erinmore Mixture in one of these. Not too sweet and with its characteristic, pleasant pineapple note, it's a cool and mild smoke, perferct for the summer morning smokes. 4,0/5 in my personal rating system.

Purchased From: New Smoke, Milano (Italy)

Ahmad Othman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ahmad Othman (46)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

There isn't much to say about this.. It speaks consistency all around.. it's well made, cut. light well and stays lit. burns cool.. And has a nice room note.. It is way mild than the flakes and a hint of cacao/chocolate that isn't found in the flake. It is a 2.5 stars

Pipe Used: Peterson Dracula 999, Falcon Istanbul

Age When Smoked: Fresh tin

Purchased From: Local B&M

Similar Blends: Erinmore - Erinmore Flake.

Hybrid12 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hybrid12 (26)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought a tin of this and wasn't really all that impressed. It has a fruit essence, that when smoked taste completely artificial. It burns well and leaves a pleasant room note. I will not put this in my rotation. Frankly it over priced and was a let down coming from the Stokkebye line. When I finish this tin, I'll buy a pouch of Sir Walter Raleigh aromatic, which is much cheaper and better imho.

Pipe Used: medico

Purchased From: tobacco shop

Galbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Galbreath (5)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Tolerable

Being new to pipe smoking, I tried this in my Medico Conqueror. I found it to be very wet and tasted more like a cigerette. I read that some have dried it out after a month and added moisture to it. I may try this as new pouches are not to my liking. I do not plan on buying this again. ===========================================================

After drying for over a hour, I recently tried this in my new cob. I showed some improvement. The cigerette taste is reduced and a mild sweetness is present. This made me bump it to 2 stars. There are other brands that are better but if you are limited in selection make sure you use it in a cob and not your briar. But, be careful since it does burn hot.

Jaw Warmer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaw Warmer (5)

I used to smoke Erinmore Plug for years (40++). Erinmore is no longer available this end of the world so I decided to try the Erinmore Mixture - What a letdown - I found it very mild with a weak taster/flavour. I mixed in some Condor Original and it did the trick - It turned out to be a fine mix. Would I buy Erinmore Mixture again - NO - I would only buy it if I was stuck but I would mix it with some Condor to give it some body.

Kruppstahl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kruppstahl (3)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I purchased a five pack of Erinmore Mixture (Murray Sons and Company) tins at Gibraltar in 2008. I've got 2.8 of them left. When opened, you'll find the tobacco to be very moist. Way too moist, in my opinion, for a good smoking experience. Right from the can it smokes "wet". The casing is strong and difficult to describe. I gave a tin to my second officer (a she) to smell and define. She instantly said "apricots". I can't come any closer. Safe to say that its somekind of fruit.

Not liking the way it smoked right after opening, I stowed it away, and aging is what it wants. Badly. After the badly needed ageing it needs to be dried out, and dried considerably. The results of the drying are two fold. Drying it will cause it to burn more evenly, less "wetly" and thus more cooly, and secondly, the drying reduces the excessively strong casing.

Aromatics are not my favorite tobacco. I prefer the English varieties. However, if EM is aged and dried, its a pretty good smoke, and if you like aromatics, probably one you should try.

who broke my clay pipe? Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
who broke my clay pipe? (61)

Says "john murray" on the tin label.

My first try of this was a 25g pouch once which i had jarred and aged for about 3 years when i gave up pipes for rollups again. Aging improves it a little bit.

Anyway: virginia, burley and black cavendish with a casing..

Round 50g tin with the usual paper and card inside;some light but mainly tan and a little amount of black ribbons.

Tin aroma like plain cake of some sort(fruit bun?)

Already a regular purchase with me,and up there with the best of anything that is harder to aquire...:Its availability is a virtue because its quality to me is above other OTC cardboard blends..(The flavouring is quite up front)

It benefits from a pre pipe airing and half a day of being fluffed up in the tin to air as well,but it is instantly smokable if you are less patient..

Pipe used:6" clay georgian and falcon pipe..

Flavour: It has a fruictose sweetness that defies any specific fruit when smoked in a briar bowl,but does in my clay have an initial pineapple factor.

It obviously has a light casing but i would not call it an aromatic like others.

Very mellow yellow flavour like the cream of the milk,,reminds me of sweet all butter shortbread or custard ,,or semolina.(apple crumble room note?),,,sometimes i taste banana milkshake,,;all in the natural sence of the tobacco rather than the casing i might add.

Burns cool and steady and doesn't fight my natural cadence of puffing,,,;it takes flame easy without relight or much expansion on the light up,,,;i could probably use matches on this if i could be bothered,but i only smoke a clay and falcons so i just use a pipe zippo.

Stays consistant all the way down the bowl,and right near the end in my clay pipe it takes on a rich clotted cream flavour..(because clay can take a thermo punishing it brings out more flavour i find)

No soap with this or bite,,;maybe a little "coal tar" brand soap on the first light up which disapears with an immediate tamper..

I have described most of the tobacco's i like as 'alldayers' - it means its possible and sometimes done,,,;but i usually try to smoke a bit of variety in a day.

:This more than any other of my "alldayers" is what i call a true alldayer - its an allrounder that i don't get tired of.Its a smoke that smokes itself and doesn't demand attention(an autopilot smoke),,,like sucking a butterscotch sweet,you can forget you are actually smoking it almost.

Simular to "erinmore flake"(i think they use the same or simular ingredients)but this one is slightly lighter and sweeter,but i can smoke either with the same oppinion,,,:the flake has a bit more body and is not as naturally sweet....The flake has a slight nutty factor (burley)that i don't detect in the mixture as much,,;Mixture stays lit slightly better(only slightly)

The room note is like the taste;pleasant and innoffensive so I would say its a safe sociable smoke that will probably attract enthusiastic pedestrians rather than repulse..(esp the "ayup can i have a go of yer pipe mate" types)

------------------------------------------------------------------UPDATE 14-06-2017

I have been going through my cellared jar collection lately revisiting some old friends and enemies with my preferred Falcon, Alco, Brentford pipes of late to examine the tobaccos I haven't touched for a few years.

Some tobaccos have a shelf life where they get worse with age: Some keep well and preserved where they taste as good as first smoked: Others improve in ways where they taste greater than their initial purchase price and equal a genuine investment.

I liked Erinmore Mixture in the past and nothing has changed in its own regard except my own tastes:- I just had a bowl of 4 year old aged Erinmore Mixture, and what can I say ?

:- In light of my greater later learned experience, long term ageing of Erinmore Mixture does nothing for this tobacco blend really except preserve it for a later date where it tastes exactly the same.

I am reducing my rating from 3 to 2 stars because its basically an average aromatic and its pretty sour. I am also reducing it because it doesn't improve with long term ageing.

The subjective magic nostalgia factor of smoking something historic that your Grandad might of smoked, is often greater than the objective logical reality of actually smoking it:-

Underneath the fruit salad topping or whatever; its just another proto-bitey Cavendish OTC really, and its likely your Grandad thought the same thing when he smoked it, and probably his Grandad as well.

I leave my original review up as a confession of the fact that when we want to like something we often tell fibs a bit.

Pipe Used: Clays,Falcon Pipes

Age When Smoked: New,months,year,3years,4years

Similar Blends: Erinmore Flake.

Steden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steden (94)

Bought in January it seemed too fresh so, after a couple of bowls, I left the tin apart some weeks and recently reopened, unluckily not too much has changed… this historicized blend is characterized not for the tobaccos employed but just for the unique flowery-fruity-citric scent and it's not good for me … perhaps for you.

Philosopher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philosopher (27)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

A very pleasant smoke, fruity but mild. Despite the fact that I puff vigorously, no bite at all. Not much of a nicotine hit, though. But overall, definitely a good tobacco.

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Can't really tell the difference between this and flake. Flake probably is more concentrate.. But it is a flake after all

Certainly fruity I guess, and I would say that this is the very next step up from OTC blends. In the UK St. Bruno, Condor and Clan (Yak!) are the general 3 that you find.

Still it's not bad, I've certainly had a lot worse. (Peterson's Sweet Killarney, Sam Gawith's Perfection, and Clan)

KahveDelisi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KahveDelisi (52)
Medium Strong Medium Tolerable to Strong

the reason I quit pipe smoking for four years. Started all over with new pipes (roll eyes-roll eyes-roll eyes)

I have long been a fan of Erinmore Flake (new version). I do have a long-opened tin probably from the late 70s, and it is almost smokeable! I really want to try the Murray's era from an unopened tin that has not degraded so much. Well, I did score a tin of Murray's period Erinmore Mixture on Ebay that a reputable authority has dated for me to probably the late 80s. I have smoked a few bowls, and though I don't like it as much as the Orlik version of the flake, am happy to have it. The topping is different than that of the newer flake, but that is all I have to compare it to. It seems more flowery than fruity. I'm also not sure I like the Virginias in the Mixture as much as I like those in the flake. Still, a nice smoke, and a taste of history, even if it is still fairly recent history.

Tee-dub Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tee-dub (48)

I don't think I'm a particular fan of aromatics. So I am probably the wrong person to review this. I bought it only by accident.

All that said, I was expecting to dislike this, and I did--sort of, at least at first. But I tried it again, and here's the thing: I actually sort of enjoyed it. This doesn't suit my tastes, so this won't make a regular rotation, but I think I can appreciate why some others are so fond of it.

It is mild, cool, and dry. It burns nicely. The topping is fruity, but for the life of me I can't pin it down. At first, I thought it tasted of peach or apricot, but this faded away. Yes, there's a picture of a pineapple on the tin, but I suspect one only thinks of pineapple because of that picture. Another review said he tasted 'dark fruit' in this blend--currants, or figs, or dates. Hmmmm. Maybe. Licorice? I don't know.

Erinmore advertises that the 'secret' recipe makes for a "refreshing" smoke (their word), and I have to agree. It is cool, slightly sweet, and calming.

All in all, I can find no fault with this. It is pleasant enough, and agreeable if taken for what it is. But I will never ever buy this again.

final_id Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
final_id (35)
Mild Mild Mild Strong

This just plain old tastes bad. I thought I was getting Erinmore Balkan Mixture, but instead I only ended up with Erinmore Mixture. My mistake, I suppose, but you'd think a manufacturer or retailer would bother with the notion of making clear to us consumers what it was we were buying. So, points off for being misleading with the labeling on the outside of the tin, in the first place. And, more points off for what they put inside the tin.

Very nice shag cut. Comfortably moist, not too sticky. Smells slightly sweet and candy-like, like caramels or butterscotch maybe? Packs fine, does a good job of lighting too. And that's the end of the positives.

It has a soapy, chemical-like flavor. Though the subtle hints of tobacco taste are discernible underneath the foundational overtones of car wash and disinfectant, you know something has gone bad wrong when you're working to FIND the tobacco in your tobacco. It also leaves a "cigarette smoker's mouth" aftertaste, that dry dusky stink of your maiden aunt who retired to a trailer outside Palm Springs after twenty-five years with the Motor Vehicle licensing department and now she wants to KISS YOU.

Yick.

wdsmith Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wdsmith (11)

I am not an expert on aromatics, only smoke them once in a while. I've read many rather unpleasent reviews of this mixture but have had a good experience personally so I thought I would add my two cents. It would seem that the mixture is quite a different beast than the flake version but I can't tell a huge difference. Yes the casing is one that you either love or hate but once I set the match to it I did not notice it at all. For some time now I've been on a search for the tobacco that my old Sunday School teacher smoked, low these many years ago. It always seemed pleasant and comforting and is one reason why I started smoking a pipe in college (that and Jeremy Brett's expert portrayal of Doyle's famous consulting detective). I believe that I've found it....

Regarding the acutal experience of smoking this blend, it reminds me very much of Peterson's University flake (taste and aroma). While the moisture content is quite substantial, I did not notice any bite after leaving it to dry for about 10 minutes, the flavors of the Va's and Burleys were quite noticable. A wonderful surprise for me since I smoke English/Balkan blends and can't seem to taste any tobacco flavor in most aromatics. The black cavendish adds a spicy note which is very nice towards the end of the bowl. All in all a good change of pace for me and I would recommend this to someone looking for a nice blend for the wife but still would like to taste the tobacco. No "gravy" or gloop left behind that some previous reviewers noted. No ghosting in the pipe either.

On a side note, my tin was blended by Stokkebye and I've never had a bad Stokkebye blend. A solid 3 stars.

muntajab Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
muntajab (11)
Mild Strong Medium Pleasant

The first few bowls I smoked was not bad at all. Then I soon got this lemon's taste in my mouth and even my stomach. It is wet too, and if you have bought it (and had to see the bright side of it), well fill half the bowl and it will smoke better. You can enjoy it every now and then for a change, but I could not smoke it everyday.

I really don't like aromatics, you don't even feel you're smoking, you only get the harmful effects of smoking with the artificial taste of flavoring. If you want fruits, eat them fresh! if you want to enjoy a good smoking, well, choose pure tobacco. I think i am not going to buy aromatics anymore, except the coffee flavors; they sometimes can be great. Honey can be fine too, but the essential thing they need to put in mind is not to make the flavor overwhelming; this is childish.

tpatriarche Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tpatriarche (32)
Mild Medium Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Whatever the original Erinmore Mixture may have been, this is not it. My pouch, purchased in Canada (2010) says Made in Denmark by Rlik Tobacco (might be different in other countries). There is almost no black Cavendish in it; I would guess it's almost 100% bright Virginia Cavendish, mostly fine ribbon cut with some chunks.

Doesn't burn very evenly. Harsh on tongue for a Cavendish.

I would expect an "Irish" tobacco to be stronger & more aromatic (as opposed to flavoured), e.g. Peterson Irish Flake. The pouch aroma makes me think honey & "Irish Whiskey" and is about the only Irish thing about it besides the name.

DEN-C1956 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DEN-C1956 (32)

the very first tobacco that i bought and smoked,from the moment i opend the tin all them years ago i have never forgotten that aroma...in fact i asked the wife to call in to the smoke shop in our town to buy me a pouch only a few days ago because i wanted to give it another go,i was not disappointed,to those that have not tried this blend...do so asap.its great.

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (129)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

If you like aromatics, you may like this. To me - and I don't like aromatics - Erinmore Mixture is awful: vile taste, vile room note, cased with heaven knows what. Whatever the secret ingredient is, the two people in each generation who know it can keep it as far as I'm concerned. BTW: how likely is the 'two people' story to be true, in this age of mass-produced tobaccos? Do they think we're fools? Anybody could reverse- engineer Erinmore if they liked, and clone it. But who would want to?

In my experience of it, at least, Erinmore Mixture with its ribbon cut packs well and lights well; unlike some reviewers, I didn't find it difficult to keep alight. Apart from these meagre positives, I have nothing good to say about it. Smoking it is like what smoking fruit gums would be if fruit gums were combustible. To my palate, at any rate, it is completely unlike Erinmore Flake, which I rather like. Sometimes Erinmore Mixture seems to taste of pineapple; sometimes of indeterminate Vimto-like fruity stuff; sometimes of liquorice. Yeccch!! When the smoke begins to pervade the room, panic-stricken civilians fight their way to the door, shrieking, and hamsters fall unconscious from their wheels (you don't believe me, do you?). Towards the bottom of the bowl it's as hot as Satan's britches, and it leaves behind a lot of unpleasant yuck.

This isn't one of those old-time tobaccos that has deteriorated over the years (cf. Gold Block; Three Nuns). I first tried it forty-odd years ago (my late aunt had a tobacconist's shop, and told me that Erinmore was one of her best sellers), and it was awful then. I guess this is a Marmite tobacco: you love it or you hate it, but nobody has mixed feelings about it. Give it a try and see what you think. Personally, I wouldn't have it as a gift: the odd flavour and room note just don't suit me at all. It's obviously popular and has been for many years, so evidently it has qualities that are lost on me. From my own purely subjective standpoint, though, very much not recommended.

Update, 21st January, 2012: Just for the hell of it, I tried mixing Erinmore Mixture with Condor Ready Rubbed: a suggestion made by another reviewer on these pages. Oddly enough, a fifty- fifty mix is rather good! Shall we call it Conmore Mixture? Erindor? I wouldn't smoke it all the time, but I was pleasantly surprised.

kg0mz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kg0mz (54)

I thought I was buying the flake, but ordered the ribbon mixture by mistake.

I don't like the burn characteristics of ribbons. I have dried it out, but it still burns like a ribbon...too fast, and with condensation. However, this is quality tobacco, and I don't think the topping is overdone. It is cool for a ribbon, and I get no tongue bite. I have smoked one star mixtures, and this is not one of them.

The tin aroma is, to me, nice. VA with a mild topping. In the bowl I get a VA with a mild and unique topping, not at all objectionable. This is quite good...for a ribbon. I will not be buying more of this mixture, but I will order the flake. If you like the "convenience" of ribbons, I can recommend this.

Contemplative Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Contemplative (22)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

Well now: I've been a pipe smoker for 22 years (since age of 41), and I never used to like this mixture. Always found the taste off-putting. However (and this is not the only example of how, to my surprise, I have re-visited old tobacco dislikes and suddenly really liked them), I am really enjoying the pouch I bought a couple of days ago. This is the first time I have smoked Erinmore for at least two years. I find the fruity smell of the mix in the pouch to be atractive; the flavour of the mix when smoked very pleasant; it is a satisfying tobacco; the aroma is very nice indeed.

It is also quite extraordinary, in that I've smoked my way through this pouchful almost non-stop for 2 days, but there isn't the slightest hint of bite, and there is no unpleasant tongue or mouth coating. My only complaint is that it smokes rather too fast, but then that's always the case with aromatics.

I'm really enjoying this stuff, and it makes life a lot easier, because I've had the same conversion with Gold Block and Player's Whiskey, so now I have got three extra proprietary brands (I was always able to get on with St Bruno, though I've gone off that for quite a while, too strong), widely available in local shops, to keep me going. I used to have to always order my tobacco on the net, because I couldn't get on with the proprietaries, but now I don't have that problem.

Medium Extra Strong Medium Strong

The Erinmore Mixture has, for as long as I can remember, polarized smokers. When I was a neophyte some 20 years ago, the few pipe smokers in my peer group all held EM in awe as a macho mixture, being strong enough to send our inexperienced palates to their premature graves. To be able to enjoy it (back then) was to have reached the zenith of smoking. Oh, well... those were the days.

Off from the nostalgia trip, EM really does polarize - it's strong in one way, soft in another. It's over-flavoured in one way, yet natural in another. The best way I can describe the tin aroma is "metallic;" the pineapple aroma many other reviewers here have noted is in there, too. The tobacco comes rather wet (where I am); it may benefit from sitting around in the pipe for a half hour before lighting. Once properly alight, it'll quietly and gently burn down to a minimal amount of light- grey ashes.

The taste is sweet and fruity, somewhat tangy. If you don't like aromatics, open your window, take aim, and throw the tin (or pouch) as far as possible. This one is aromatic. The room note is... well, it depends on your tastes. It could be described as chemical, or as jelly-beanish. Or maybe both are the same and it's only a matter of your point of view. I guess what I'm saying is that the room note of EM is sort of what the taste of Red Bull is compared to other sodas - just something all its own. Whether you like it or not depends on your own taste.

Personally, I do like the taste to a certain, moderate extent. It's definitely not an everyday tobacco for me, and if you want to try this, do heed the earlier suggestions that you use a pipe you can spare for a few months - the Erinmore Mixture leaves a very strong afterflavour in the pipe it has been smoked in, and it does also leave a strong aftertaste on your palate. Whether or not you like the latter is, I guess, a matter of taste. On occasion, I do enjoy it.

2 stars from me; it can be a nice smoke, but as said before, it polarizes. Not only the smokers themselves, but also the audience.

Moçambicano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Moçambicano (13)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

Even after reading so many negative appraisals of this old mixture, I decided to have a go at it ? albeit a very prejudiced one.

The first bowls tasted between good to unremarkable. From beginning to end, it always tasted the same; no "crescendo" type of experience, such as the ones to be found in more sophisticated mixtures. Always the same flavor and aroma of pineapple-cased virginia, very often disturbed by a foul tar aftertaste.

After smoking half a tin, I felt I had had enough. I was about to give it up definitively? Until I tried it in a filter pipe (oh, that purist's horror!).

For once in a lifetime, the advertisements in the filter's package seemed to tell the truth: the tar taste was removed from the smoke! I kept on piping until the tin was empty. What a pleasure it was! Not an extraordinary one, but a very decent one nevertheless. I'll buy it again, even if its not among my best choices.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)

a blend of obvious bright citrusy virginia that have natural fruity sweetness to it (not the aromatic sweetness indeed)..many swore by detecting casings of pineapple and fruits in it but to me its a straight virginia and unflavored cavendish. mellow, mild and could easly be an all day smoke. packs easy and smokes even easier with no goop or tongue bite unless mistreated badly. the aroma was only acceptable to fellow smokers however,i dont think its the right choice to please mrs.right!

gunnn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gunnn (4)
Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

to me this tobacco has the smell and taste of apricots. i only wish that the taste came through as strong as the smell in the tin does. that being said i do have to admit that i rather enjoy this but i cant smoke much of it in a week or my tongue will fall off!!!!!

tritrek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tritrek (6)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a tobacco I've been looking for. You see all the vintage advertisements, hear the rumours, see the fancy dose... then you open it and you raise your eyebrows and say "well..." You smell it. Nothing special. The excitement starts to flatten.

It will be its flavour! ...no... it's not. This tobacco failed to impress me. It's flavour is unidentifyable, just... aromatic.

Too aromatic to be a natural, too plain to be an aromatic.

One star given for not being a total crap. Avoid.

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (110)
Medium Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

Tried this many years ago, when it was Murray's. If only two people know the recipe, then they should each take a pistol, find a nice quiet courtyard and do the decent thing.

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Unique and traditional tobacco that is good any time of day. It is not for everyday use, a tin in a month is good balance. It is highly recommended and fine proof is that this name lasts for long time...

Addendum:

This blend is miles from this what it was once upon the time when the original company made it... Sic transit gloria mundi.

My rate: 3.0

Laudante Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Laudante (29)
Medium to Strong Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Actually, this blend would deserve only one star. What made me rate it with two was neither the famous, victorian name, nor the mysterious way to transmit the recipe (which, by the way, I don´t believe, unless some people of Murray Sons who "knew too much" were killed in 2005). The theme could serve for a bestselling novel: "The case of the tobacco blenders who knew too much"

What made me put the two stars was only the wonderful apricot smell in the tin. This tobacco could serve very well as a car aromatizer if packed properly and put under the seat. It could certainly work as well as a condiment to other tobaccos, in small quantities. But to be smoked alone, this is a failure. The reasons are well exposed by the other reviewers.

LondoMollari Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LondoMollari (11)

Being a fan of aromatics, I snagged a tin of this blend after reading reviews calling it sweet and tasting like pineapple. It definitely does have a pineapple flavoring. The tin aroma beats your nose into submission with pineapples?a?flailing, but totally misses the mark once you light it up. Erinmore Mixture turns into what I consider a very dry tasting smoke once lit, with a lot less casing flavor than I would like, leaving me to look for a Coke-a-Cola or some water afterwards.

Packing the pipe is easy enough, and the tobacco was of the correct moisture level when I first received it. I do recall it getting hot and biting once or twice, but calming my draw down solved that problem. I just wish this stuff had a stronger pineapple flavor and didn?t leave my mouth feeling dry when the bowl is done.

Updated 6/1/2008

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

Erinmore Mixture is a vacuity with none of the virtues and all the vices of Erinmore Flake.

Classical Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Classical (13)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

Erinmore!

I bought my first (and only) tin of this simply because of all the poor reviews here at this fine site! I suppose I was thinking that any true pipe smoker must learn to have an opinion of this maligned tobacco.

The smell out of the tin is very strong! I can understand why so many think the casing is pineapple, but I rather tend to think of it as 'fruity' being towards the sweet/citrus end of things.

I found this blend easy to pack and light. It made a fairly quick transition to gray ash for me as I smoked it. It burns easily and leaves quite a bit of sweet-smelling smoke in a room.

The taste? Yes, the casing lasts throughout, but it was not as strong as it smelled in the tin.

UPDATE--As I've matured in pipe smoking I have come to recognize this stuff for what it is: A failed attempt at whatever it was they were trying to do. One star at best. I've dumped the rest of the tin.

Accompaniment: Riverdance.

garydobbs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
garydobbs (20)
Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm not a lover of this blend. Though it do find it okay if there's nothing else about to smoke. The aroma is terrific but I find the taste rather bland for my liking. But then I do tend to favour the full bodied tobaccos. It's okay as a blender and very mild so may suit a beginner but in truth I'm not a lover of this one.

Pipemanuk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipemanuk (76)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

When I were a lad, 50 or more years ago, there were old gents in tweed suits and trilbies that used to smoke this stuff. You could always tell an Erimore smoker cos he was old and whiskery. Of course the old gents have long since departed; but for some reason this stuff is still about. I don't know why it is that some great pipe tobaccos have passed out of this world and yet rubbish like Erinmore Mixture and Three Nuns are still here. I have just broached an old packet of this tobacco. It was a mistake. I should have sold it to the young and gullible. It has nothing going for it at all. Even aged as this is; it's still dry on the throat, has no nuance of flavour, gives no pleasure whatsoever. Sigh.

Pipesmoking101 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipesmoking101 (62)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Following on from my love affair with Erinmore Flake, I considered it essential to experiment with the mixture. I bought not a tin, but a 25g pouch which is available here in the UK. My rating of somewhat recommended is more negative than I intend but I cannot give it 3 out of 4. If the rating was out of 5 stars, I would have given it 3. Upon opening the packet, one is olfactorally blasted with the Erinmore scent turned up to 'max'. This puts the scent of even E.Flake in the shade, & that's saying something indeed! It is not unpleasant, but has a slightly more 'chemical' edge to it than the flake. Upon packing the pipe, the ribbon cut is delighfully easy to pack to perfection. Upon lighting, the fist problems with this blend are experienced. Firstly, the flavour (which is pleasantly fruity, warm & citrus, if a little saccharine) is overwhelming, & the tobacco - which seems to be of a poorer quality than that in the flake - is hardly noticeable at all. After this, I experience difficulty in keeping this one burning constantly (even with judicious use of the tamper). When it is burning, it burns to an fine ash quickly, but the problem is that it keeps going out in-between! As one progresses past the first half of the bowl, this improves slightly & the smoulder becomes more constant. The flavour subsides for the last 3rd of the bowl, & the tobacco moves more to the fore, but the quality of the tobacco is the same throughout, so I don't feel particularly satisfied after just 1 bowl. On the plus side, this didn't even hint at the possibility of biting at all. It's relatively easy to get hold of here, & fairly cheap, so will doubtless be used by me again on the odd occassion, but I can't bring myself to upgrade it to 3 out of 4 due to the negative points, even though I think it's actually better than 2 out of 4. Yes it will stain your pipe, but can be cleared out with a thorough cleaning using a good sweetening fluid.

Steerpike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steerpike (60)
Mild to Medium Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

A strongly scented ribbon cut, with the excellent quality Virginias that make up the flake somewhat watered down by a bit of Cavendish. For this reason, the mixture is considerably milder in tobacco flavour, and much stronger in terms of the essence.

Smokes a little hot, I find, which the flake never does, and can bite, which isn't a problem with the flake. Smoke it slow though, and you can really get to know the Erinmore essence.

It isn't bad, but for a more serious smoke that you can really get your teeth into, I recommend the flake.

constantsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
constantsmoker (65)

This stuff makes for a very enjoyable smoke. Perhaps I got lucky (see earlier reviews). A little moist out of the tin, I was surprised at the smooth even burn, no bite on the tongue (and I am a 'puffer'), slightly fruity taste and pleasant aroma. Plus, it does not smoke hot. The issue with this mixture may have been quality control rather than, as at least one reviewer commented, lower grade Virginias. Well, to each his own. The best way to judge this or any other blend is to try a couple of bowlfulls for yourself.

A. Morley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A. Morley (97)
Medium to Strong Extra Strong Full Pleasant

Erinmore Mixture is confusing to me, as I imagine it has been confusing to many people. Erinmore Flake and Erinmore Ready Rubbed are among the most respected tobaccos to come out of the Irish blending tradition. Using some of the finest Virginia mixtures, they would augment and heighten the wondrous complexities of the tobacco with a secret essence that perfectly balanced sweetness and fragrance: just the sort of blend that I always love. Those, however, are not Erinmore Mixture.

With Erinmore Mixture, just as with all Erinmore tobaccos, we have that same magical sauce waiting to make the blend bloom with old-world charm. Instead of the quality Virginia which Murray Sons have always seemed to understand was the best choice for such situations, a blend of various lower quality Virginias, what appears to be Burley, and a fair amount of black Cavendish make up the base of this scented mixture. Why the thought that this was a good idea, I cannot say.

The pleasant and at times even delicious characteristics of all of the Erinmore series come through at the outset, as well as at various intervals throughout the bowl. Erinmore Mixture can just as soon give way the spoiled fruit flavor of poor quality Cavendish or the bile bitterness of bad burley or the scorching heat of bright Virginia that has not been carefully handled in blending. What's more, it smokes quite wet more often than not. In short, Erinmore Mixture has so many of the drawbacks that are to be found from those notoriously low quality bulk aromatics that so many unsuspecting neophytes fall pray to. I can imagine Murray Sons & Co. falling under the assumption that this is where the pipe tobacco market was going and decided that they had to make their own version of it. When your original offerings were as fine as those in the Erinmore line, though, there is nothing wrong with living in the past.

Regards,

A. Morley Jaques

pipeinlefthand Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipeinlefthand (4)
Medium Strong Overwhelming Pleasant to Tolerable

It is known around the world that that the Irish have a great sense of humour. What is perhaps misunderstood is the nature of that humour. As an outsider, you are never sure when an Irishman is putting you on. Not anything malicious, just something to keep you on your toes. For instance, a major English contractor was accepting tenders on a contract to build a tunnel under the English Channel. Among the many serious bids was found a handwritten note from Murphy and Son, Belfast, which read "one hundred pounds". When the officials in charge of the project asked how Murphy expected to build a tunnel under the English Channel for one hundered pounds, he told them "Well, you've got me on one side, see, with a shovel, and you've got me son on the other side, see, and him with a shovel, and we start to dig, see, and that's how we do it." Intrigued, one official asked Murphy what would happen if they didn't happen to meet in the middle. "Well," said Murphy, bursting with pride, "then you'd get two tunnels for the price of one!"

We can thank the Irish for that little bit of a joke, but it pales in comparison to the that greatest of all Irish jokes, Erinmore Mixture. It's a great set up. That bit about the world's premier tobacco growing regions, two monks or something who covet the "formula", and - this is the kicker - the pineapple! C'mon, nothing's funnier than a pineapple! Does it taste like pineapple? Is it only used as an outmoded symbol of quality? Is it actually a grenade? I haven't even loaded the bowl and this stuff is already hilarious!

The pouch aroma certainly suggests comedy. Comedy, or the perfume on the forty-seven year old biddy who tried to pick you up the local pub the night before. It's not a bad smell, maybe not one you would have sought out, but not entirely bad. I was given a pouch by a friend who bought it on the advice of another friend (you know how jokes go around), so it had already been opened, and did not seem goopy. As of this writing, uh, telling it feels pretty dry.

Upon lighting, the joke turns rather crude and therefore you may not want to tell it to your better pipes, but save it for those simple working stiffs known as "corncobs", or other such disposable rubbish. At first the punchline shocked me very much. It had fruity overtones that no Christian man should enjoy, and was cruder than I had expected. I suppose a real man can handle it's harshness, but ladies may take issue.

The thing is, it's become some sort of guilty pleasure, telling this joke. I mean, I don't go around telling it every day, as that would get very tiresome indeed. I sometimes get to where I have forgotten it completely, but then, sooner or later it comes lurking around the corner of my memory/humidor, and I once again marvel at it's strange composition. It's not Shakespear. It's not even Dickens. It's more like one of those filthy 8-tracks of truck driver humour. And I laugh. Then I LAUGH! It reminds me of the time at dinner when my grandfather dropped his Players Navy Cut cigarette in the fruit cocktail! Then I cough. I cough on the joke's harsher points and try to put it out of my head completely. But alas! It's no use because at some point, while fumbling through my tobaccos it will come to me again and I will be powerless to stop it. Then, someday it will leave my mind completely, and only the strong essense of it's memory will linger on, year after year. Until then, every time I fall under the spell of it's mirth I will remember, no matter how hard I convulse at it's absurdity, somewhere, two Irishmen who share a secret are laughing harder than me.

Mild to Medium Strong Medium Tolerable

The flavour is, of course, the same as the flake version: if there it was tolerable, here is truly overwhelming! With little chance of tasting any tobacco flavour, I expected a good burning as the flake, but that has been another disappontment: though having dried it, it's difficult to light it and to keep it lit.

Next time I'll fell the need of a fruit juice I'll go to a bar instead, and pay a fraction of the price.

donk93953 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
donk93953 (22)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I want to like this...heck Im Scotch-Irish...and Ive tried it and tried it and I'll probably try it again...but I just dont get it. It lights with great difficulty, it burns poorly, the taste, well its unique and not to my liking, and , ok , I'll think of something nice to say..I like the tin and the tobacco smells great when you open the tin......

Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild Tolerable

This tobacco has a unique reputation (together with Royal Yacht) among pipesmokers. It is often referred to as the worst thing one could smoke, a pipe-ruining disgrace, a foul-tasting mixture. This may well be an exaggeration, as there are worse tobaccos on the market (well, not many, but there are). Which doesn't mean it is good, but at least it has some redeeming qualities: none of them makes Erinmore a blend I would buy again in my life (hey, I had to try for myself, but one tin was enough and will last me for some months), but at least should make things clear once and forever. The flavoring and contents of this tobacco are a mystery: one can only suppose it contains a good dose of Virginia, but as with all Erinmore products the question is "how can they give it this weird flavoring?". Yes, the flavoring is off-beat indeed: pineapple everybody says, and pineapple-bergamot it truly smells upon opening the tin and sniffing the very fine-cut blend. I don't know if they really add pineapple or citrus essence, or if it is a result of some strange natural processing of the tobacco: fact is that ANY tobacco flavor is lost, and it smells of something I would rather drink than smoke. Anyway, if I were in aromatic mood, I'd REALLY like something that would taste in the smoke like the smell that I get from the unburnt tobacco... the trouble, for me, is that the smoke only has a hint of that pineapple flavoring, turning instead towards something less pleasant! The smoke is rather fresh, but also quite harsh and strong: the overall flavor swings slightly between sweetish and citrus-like tones, reminding me more of perfumed soap and flowers than of pineapple. It is the same taste that I seem to get in stuff like Dunhill's Ready Rubbed, but much stronger and harsher. The tobacco burns fine thanks to the fine cut and perfect moisture level, and doesn't get too hot: it doesn't even seem to be too aggressive on my tongue. I usually smoke this in a corncob: its taste is slightly better, I don't risk having a pipe infested with its taste (which is said to be permanent...), and it is a quick and short smoke that I can finish without getting bored. As I said, there are some worse tobaccos out there: Erinomre doesn't suit my taste (I consider it more "unsatisfactory" than "bad"), and in my opinion is actually rather bad, but it is so weird and different that anyone should try it at least a couple of time to judge for himself.

Mephisto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mephisto (32)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

Good aroma but just not my kind of thing I did not find it to behave very well and not worth the effort. I say if you go for erinmore go for the flake and get more out of it. Over all not bad but not my first choice.

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (102)
Strong Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Not that I really need to put in my two cents, but for the record, this is the only tobacco I have ever thrown away. Here's to hoping the two persons who know the "secret formula" to this blend do the right thing and keep quiet.

Gae Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gae (46)
Strong Strong Very Full Strong

Every few years I give this another try,as I much prefer the Flake version myself. Very aged tin 5 stars. Aged tin 4 stars. New tin 1 star.

Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable to Strong

It is a good thing that the recipe for Erinmore Mixture is a closely guarded secret. IMO it should stay that way.

I have tried to smoke this tobacco a number of times, but for some reason it just doesn?t agree with me. It is not that I find it strong, nor harsh, nor potent. Rather I find it too ?in-betweenish?, i.e., without being mild, it does not have enough body or structure; without being entirely sweet, it can become cloying and dull. The perfumed aroma, both in the tin and in the smoke, is as strange and indefinable as the one in University Flake or as Grousemoore: sour/sweet and, IMO, enervating.

I have never gotten a clear cut tobacco taste from this one, it is more like smoking some form of diluted cherry and flowers essence. I know this is considered to be a classic, and that many popular smokers (James Galway for one) consider it a must, but it just doesn?t work for me.