The recipe for Erinmore Mixture is a closely guarded secret which is revealed to only two people in each generation. It is known, however, that the tobaccos are selected from the premier tobacco growing regions of the world, naturally sweetened bright Virginia is hand blended with cool-smoking black Cavendish to produce the unique flavor and distinctive aroma of Erinmore. More than that we cannot reveal. A mellow aromatic tobacco with a cool taste and a slow-burning easy-smoking style.

Notes: Produced by Murray's Sons until 2005.

BrandErinmore

2.2
Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (84)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

Erinmore mixture: a much maligned tobacco - particularly by those, like myself, who enjoy the occasional Erinmore flake. However, I have to place myself in the minority and admit to liking this blend.

Tin note of peach cobbler, hint of pineapple. Sugar, and a faint aroma of fresh bread.

The charring light is very sweet and citrusy: initial flavors include pineapple, mandarin orange, a hint of lemon. I can inderstand why some find this sour tasting. I would say, "tart". After the first quarter bowl, I detect more pronounced lemony flavors. For lack of a better analogy, this reminds me of the old, cheap candy Lemon Heads from my childhood. Very, very tart.

Doesn't immediately bite but smokes hot. Definitely could bite if pushed. Sip this one slowly.

The blend mellows out by mid-bowl and settles down to a nice smoke. Despite the pronounced citrus flavoring, there is definite tobacco flavor here, with the cavendish in the background and the VaBur element center stage. I agree with reviewer Honzz that there is an "earthy" backbone to this blend, at least by mid bowl as the flavoring agent begins to mellow, that is somewhat reminiscent of good, rich coffee - or perhaps good, natural, hot cocoa (without added sugar). During the final third, the blend smoothens out nicely and by the final puffs there is a more noticeable chocolaty, cocoa flavor that I presume is the burley asserting after most of the flavoring agent has been burned off.

Overall an interesting crossover blend. A citrus flavored VaBur that is distinct enough from Erinmore Flake to be worth a try for those who enjoy such flavors. Enough backbone for those who enjoy tobacco. Probably not one I would cellar, not being a big fan of citrus, but a credit to the genre.

Reggietom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Reggietom (7)
Medium Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This is my favourite, everyday over the counter tobacco. I love it's flavour, I find if you smoke it slowly there is no tongue bite and it does not burn too hot.
Room note is very pleasant and it's not so strong that 1 bowl a day is enough, I smoke it all day everyday.

Pipe Used: Peterson, 317 and Rocky Donegal

Purchased From: Tesco Roborough Plymouth UK

Honzz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Honzz (10)

The tin aroma is a sweet tobacco aroma with a fruity essence. The fruitiness kind of reminds me of a tropical fruitiness. The moisture level is a little on the wet side and some drying time is recommended.

At the start of the smoke I taste the sweet tobacco flavor with a light hint of the fruity flavoring. The flavoring is not over powering and is quite subtle, but it is easily noticeable. There is also a rich earthiness that reminds me of the body of black coffee. I do not detect any black coffee flavor at all, it just reminds me of the rich, earthy body that black coffee has. The flavor profile was the same from start to finish.

This is a decent blend that smokes relatively cool. It smokes dry and doesn't leave a mess in the pipe. It didn't bite me, but I could tell that if it is pushed too hard that it might have the possibility to bite. This is a light aromatic blend where the tobacco flavor stands out quite well and the flavoring is used to enhance the tobacco.

This blend never really jumped out at me and while I would smoke it on occasion, it will never make it into any type of rotation for me. If you are a regular smoker of aromatics, you may really enjoy Erinmore Mixture.

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (111)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

This is another I purchased due to reading so much about it on here. The reviews seemed to be mixed so I thought I'd assuage my curiosity and give it a go.

The smell on opening the packet really increased my anticipation, a good waft of currant bun greeted my nostrils as I dived in. The packing and lighting were sensibly easy, so far so good. Once again, the currant bun flavour appeared along with a good hint of citrus, quite nice I thought, especially when hints of pineapple popped up occasionally. Sadly though, there is something rough about this, something I can't quite put my finger on this, something that hits the back of the throat and the roof of the mouth. It's almost like they've made the perfect hot cross bun and garnished it with sandpaper.

So there we go nice flavour with more than a hint of rough. I'm not sure if it's a case of it being made with floor sweepings from some good tobaccos or added a very good casing to some bad ones. I think I can understand why a lot of people like this one, there is a good flavour in here. However, for me I can only quote the venerable James May "It's like they came up with the recipe for a perfect shepherds pie and then made it with dog meat!".

nonprude Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nonprude (1)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Yes, Erinmore Mixture is a "wet" smoke, but in a good pipe (I use Peterson small bowl pipes) it does not smoke hot. As far as the aroma is concerned, my wife (a non-smoker) finds it agreeable, and many people who smoke cigarettes have commented upon the aroma when we gather in the outside smoking areas in UK pubs.

I smoked roll-your-own cigarettes until I was 25 then switched to a pipe as I am a cricketer and I was getting out of breath on my bowling run-up. Erinmore has a sufficient nicotine hit to be the ideal tobacco for the person who wants to change from cigarettes to pipes.

Erinmore Mixture is a good, all-day smoke; it is not aggressive, does not dull the taste buds if smoked before breakfast. The taste is not spoiled if used with a filter pipe such as a Savanelli (I have 3 Savanellis and good pipes they are).

It is not the aristocrat of pipe tobaccos; I reserve that honour for Troost Black Cavendish; it is, however, a fine, often under-rated tobacco. It has lost a degree of its richness since the Danes started blending it; what I do is to keep a small quantity of loose Black Cavendish in a snuff tin in my pouch, and I add this to my pipe towards the evening when a more aromatic and stronger-tasting smoke is required.

Finally; it is essential, at least in my view; to change pipes daily when smoking Erinmore Mixture. This kills the wetness.

This is my all time favorite Virginia tobacco, Erinmore Mixture is not an aromatic ( in fact,you can call it whatever you want ) but this is an Erinmore, it tastes Erinmore and it smells Erinmore, it has a special flavor that is very similar to... Erinmore.

it is unique, and superior to ANY other modern Virginia out there.

Erinmore Mixture is another one of those no longer produced blends. It is not similar at all to Erinmore Flake as the components and toppings are very different. Unlike Erinmore Flake, this one contains quite a bit of Black Cavendish that actually keeps the smoke cooler than the Flake version. It certainly does have a "unique" topping that some will love and others will hate.

I fall somewhere in between. Not enough oomph to satisfy me and the flavoring is off-putting toward the bottom of the bowl.

It is easy to load and keep smoldering.

BEN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BEN (58)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I recently got a very old large ( 7 ounce? ) tin of this from a fellow pipesmoker for $8. He swore he would "never smoke this foul weed again" and said he would throw it in the trash if I did not want it. He only smoked one bowl, so I thought it was a good deal. Now, when I opened the tin, sugar crystals coated the tobacco, and, as always for me, I am always excited by this. I love the flake version of Erinmore, and now, I love this. Smoked in a Group 3 sized pipe, this is a great smoke. Yes, as one previous reviewer said, it does leave your mouth kind of dry afterwards, but I find this to be a very rewarding smoke. I filled a large mason jar with this and promptly put it into my tobacco collection. Highly Recommended!!

UPDATE 5/22/07 Just recently ordered two tins of the "new" version. All I can say is "What Happened??!!"...Sour and bitey right out of the tin. I let it air dry out for a day on a sheet of newspaper, and this helped. But, I am still not finding the full and satisfying smoke of the previous well aged tin reviewed earlier. I kept one 3.5 ounce tin sealed, and I am hoping that aging does the trick. Still a good smoke, and I will be overly generous and leave my four star rating...for now...I will follow up later.

Black Sheep Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Black Sheep (13)

I enjoy this blend; however, I am a lover of English blends and often shy away from the stronger aromatics. The description noted above identifies this blend as an aromatic, so if you're a lover of powerful tobaccos soaked in sugary casing type stuff, then take my review with a large grain of proverbial salt. That said, I agree with the previous two or three reviewers, this is a blend that I can smoke repeatedly throughout the day, and it never leaves my mouth with the odd filmy taste that sometimes accompanies the stronger aromatics. There is enough casing to impress a bystander while possessing enough depth to make this an excellent contemplative smoke. I would also recommend this blend as an accompaniment with a wee dram in the afternoon, just remember to discipline your smoking and try and keep the bowl cool (as with any tobacco).

Pipe Used: Britannia - Straight Billiard

Age When Smoked: New, then again aged

Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I have been looking forward to this one for a while now ! When I open it the first thing I get is a terrific fruity aroma from it , which is very intriguing ! To be not so positive it is a little on the damp side so a small amount of airing to diminish the moisture amount is required . On inspection it is quickly obtainable that it is mostly Virginia with only a smaller amount of Black Cavendish . Once it has aired ( needing only about an hour per bowlful ) it takes to igniting easily and gives an impeccable , steady and consistent burn . The temperature of the smoke is a moderate one , neither too hot nor cool . Flavour next , unique , I know there are a few added Fruit , Citrus and Pineapple flavours but for me the Pineapple steals the show out of them all ! This is a real treat as in the Tobacco world it's conventionally Cherry , Vanilla or Coffee but this makes a great change and by Retro-haling it the Pineapple becomes even more enlarged . Nicotine now , a great amount for me , not strong or weak . Tongue Bite ? This one does tend to bite a little if I go too harshly so I gently sip it and that abates the aggressive side enough to enjoy the flavours . Room note now , this is mainly a Virginia Hay one with a slight Zest likeness there also , a plus point is that it's not heavy at all so will not offend many people around you . This one scores 3 stars not 4 solely for the subjective reason that I find the Pineapple a little monotonous after a short while !

Pipe Used: Butz Choquin

Purchased From: Smoke King

gam86 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gam86 (34)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Mild Unnoticeable

I've should listen to the reviews instead of get fascinated by the tin. The flavoring is somewhat lost in the tobacco and it is a fight to keep its bite away. Not a relaxing smoke.

dominator86 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dominator86 (1)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is one of my favorite tobaccos. I needed a few tries to learn how to smoke it slowly and steadily to enjoy it's taste without burning my tongue, but I'm glad I didn't stop trying. I smoke this blend from a medium sized Capitol with balsa wood filter alone or in a group of friends and no one complained about it's aroma yet. If you are a lover of not too aromatised blends then you have to give it a try.

ffarouki Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ffarouki (2)
Very Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

I wasn't prepared to be so disappointed. Living in a country that doesn't normally have any good pipe tobacco for sale, and yet rather finding it unexpectedly at some store, I had real high hopes for this baby.

Smell: disagreeable. Taste: citrus(y) and flat, rather sour. Behavior: burned well, not too wet and/or dry.

I figured its famous, tinned, dates far back.. No. Captain Black regular is a much better smoke.

But seriously, I'll confess why I'm so mad at this tobacco. I smoked two bowls and discarded it since but OMG has it left a ghost in my briar that even Father Merrin can't kick out! An acidic citrus ghost that now spoils anything I try after.

Not worth it.

Plunket Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Plunket (39)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Not doing very well this one, so let me tell you: I've been a pipe smoker for 35 years and I know my way around good tobaccos when I see them. I avoid aromatics like the plague and couldn't smoke EM when it was manufactured by Murray & Sons in Belfast; I was able to ocassionally tolerate the flake. I only recently tried this because blending has now gone to Orlik (and that possibly means that Stockkeby handle the blending and distribution). I now cannot tolerate the flake, which is completely overpowered by the casing, but find EM altogether a more subtle and rewarding smoke - the casing has completely changed and once contained a tonquin aspect that is no longer there - this substantially changes the dynamics for me. This is not mild - it packs a nicotine punch and although it is cased, it is not overpowering and the sweetness is not sickly as are many aromatics. This does burn cool and burns to a light white ash; however, it does vary in moisture content and must be dried - and dried well. I find complete removal from the tin and spread out on a newspaper for at least 24 hours substantially transforms this tobacco into something very pleasant to smoke - light enough as an all day smoke and equally rewarding in the evening with a good nicotine slap (rather than a punch).

I feel this tobacco, unusually, fills the centre ground that sits between a full aromatic on one hand and a non-aromatic blend on the other. Frankly, I am astonished that since my first tin, I've ordered an additional ten tins - this is most unusual for me because casings will usually send me over the edge - I am to all intents and purposes a VAPER man, but this has awoken another dimension.

If this smarts the tongue, then you've packed it improperly - it's light enough to burn easy and shouldn't be pushed - any tobacco will bite under such conditions.

It works for me because it's nothing like the original!

pipealicious Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipealicious (21)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I left the pipe aside for about 10 yeers or so, for various reasons. Since autumn 2009 I picked up pipe smoking again and awarded myself with a new pipe and some new tobaccoes. I bought a 50g tin of this as my first tobacco at my local tobacconist in Belgium for a very resonnable price of 5,90 Euros.

The tin looked fairly new (no production date mentioned)and is produced in Denmark by the Scandinavian Tobacco Group. Upon opening the tin i noticed beautiful yellow golden thin ribbon cut Virginia tobacco, with here and there some dark brown and black speckles. The aroma was a very strong but inviting mixture of raisins and especially apricots. The tobacco was densely packed in the tin and fairly moist, so i let it dry out for a few hours every time i smoked it.

The tobacco packs easily. I never got any tongue bite or dottle, and I smoked it fairly fast. It burns cool to a light grey ash.

The taste is citrus and grassy, like a young Virginia. I would recommend is as a summer or morning smoke. A very high quality and affordable tobacco for people who like young and fruity Virginia blends. The taste and tin aroma gets better as it is exposed to some air and has time to dry out a bit.

I will defenitely buy more of this.

Griswold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Griswold (16)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I like Erinmore Mixture almost as much as I like Erimore Flake and when buying new tobacco at my favorite store I usually grab a tin of whatever is on the shelf without giving a second thought.

Compared to the flake version, it is a bit less strong in terms of nicotine, the topping is a bit more intense and it burns a tad faster due to the cut.

So, if you like aromatic tobaccos which are not super-mild and still have a good 'tobacco-base' topped by an non-VanillaMangoCherry flavoring , try Erinmore Mixture.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Medium Medium to Strong Very Full Tolerable to Strong

I love it, typical of a lot of the good classics, when you first pop the the you think, "what are they all taking about?". By the end you know why it is a classic. There really is nothing else like it. I get rich fruit tea cake from it. I go for it when my regular flakes, aro's or english's don't beckon. And then it always hits the spot. Just picked up the flake version, and I know I am going to love it too.

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (81)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Similar to Erinmore flake but slightly sweeter and tangier. See my review on Erinmore flake.

Sojang Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sojang (13)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is one of those blends that you either love or hate. It's that simple. I've smoked both the mixture and the flake for the past 22 yrs. In all those years I have found nothing like it. I've found this smokes best in a small bowl.

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Erinmore Mixture. Recently I have been revisiting both Erinmore Flake and Mixture. Maybe my taste bud's are maturing because I'm certainly enjoying both the flake and mixture, very much. It's easy to light and give's a nice lengthly enjoyable smoke right to the bottom of the bowl.Leaving a nice white grey ash at the end. As a lady pipe smoker of 32 year's who enjoy's Virginia's,V-Perique,English,Balkan's and a few certain Aromatic's I can say,I certainly haven't found this to be to strong for me. For anyone new to the pipe smoking puff slowly, and you should do ok. For an Aromatic that offer's a nice rich sweet fullness I give this 10 out of 10.

Aussie John Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aussie John (1)
Very Strong Medium to Strong Extra Full Very Pleasant

The Erinmore Mixture vacuum-sealed tin is a round yellow painted traditional style with the trademark of a pineapple atop an Erinmore shield. The tin opens with an almost hermetically reassuring hiss with the resultant mellifluous aroma that barks for your attention. But like mans best friend you are not too sure what Erinmore is trying to tell you? There is an initial hint of cased cherry followed by a background of rum, was there any pineapple amongst it? This infamous pineapple! Is it only on the tin? Or is it loitering somewhere like a grey man in the crowd. That pineapple aroma is so subliminal you almost question the psychosomatic affect of the trademark on the lid. But just what does this tobacco remind you of? A distant relative to the blue collar Borkum Riff maybe? and definitely a long way from the neighborhood of Sir Dunhill and ilk. But the real journey starts on ignition.

Wrapped in the obligatory white paper lining the moist light brown tobacco blend tends to pack well. It lights easily with a slow burn that tops the bowl with a grey/white ash. When lit, it lets you know there is flavor here and lots of it and yes it is sweet, very full bodied and appears immediately. It is strong and leaves a taste in your mouth that will linger like a good port. This distinctive real flavour will permeate through the bowl and will remind you for a long while after that ?Erinmore woz ere?. This is a real tobacco taste with incredible staying power that sets in for the long haul right through to the dottle. The aromatic quality was appealing to the room with a reassuring nostalgic response from non-pipe smokers. This is a tobacco flavour that you will not forget and here maybe lies the secret of its success.

This is THE tobacco to elicit a response from modern pipe smokers from all corners of the globe. Derided as an unsophisticated old-fashioned blend that should be archived into tobacco history, and yet it remains one of the most popular brands on the market today with a history reaching back through the generations. Now ask yourself why? It is an old stalwart that can be found anywhere on this globe from Johannesburg to Bangkok. A proof of Erinmore?s loyal following is that it can thumb its nose at modern market forces and soldier on amongst the teeming jungle of modern boutique ?café latte? and obsequious ?International blends? A dependable tobacco that sits smugly whilst younger ?higher order? pedigree brands fade into extinction only to have their remaining fossil shells exhibited, museum like, on e-bay. When placed up against some flaccid present day blends Erinmore mixture, when smoked, will whisper to you ?Oh yeah! Well let me tell you something sonny! I was being smoked in Bagdad when you were in?????

Recommended, a real tobacco with a real taste.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Medium Strong Medium Pleasant

This is NOT the rubbed-out version of ERINMORE FLAKE. The rubbed-out version of ERINMORE FLAKE is ERINMORE READY-RUBBED. This is an independent mixture containing heavily cased Cavendish leaf, which the other offerings do not have. The famous?or notorious? Erinmore flavouring has thus been added with a trowel to a base tobacco much weaker than the excellent, and potent, Virginia-only composition of PLUG, FLAKE, AND READY-RUBBED.

I thoroughly dislike this Cavendish aromatic, which is a kind of exploitation formula not really related to the others under the same cachet.

If you wish to explore the possible reasons why this line of tobaccos have been favourites with many smokers over 80 years, try the PLUG.

Hybrid12 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hybrid12 (14)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought a tin of this and wasn't really all that impressed. It has a fruit essence, that when smoked taste completely artificial. It burns well and leaves a pleasant room note. I will not put this in my rotation. Frankly it over priced and was a let down coming from the Stokkebye line. When I finish this tin, I'll buy a pouch of Sir Walter Raleigh aromatic, which is much cheaper and better imho.

Pipe Used: medico

Purchased From: tobacco shop

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (38)

This stuff is not as bad as some think. It's just not as good as the flake. It also packs weird. I found it easy to overpack with very little pressure applied I liked the taste. Especially down towards the bottom of the bowl.

Tonio50 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tonio50 (3)

I bought a packet of this in Derry last April and found it somewhat wet to smoke. I left it in a drawer for about 3 months and gave it another go. I found it to be very tasty with no wetness. A very pleasant smoke. I don't think it deserves the bad reviews it gets here. I will definitely buy more of this blend(sadly not available in southern Ireland)

Pipe Used: Meerschaum

Purchased From: Newsagent in Derry NI

Similar Blends: Ashton - Rainy Day.

maigret fan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
maigret fan (57)
Very Strong Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

It is a pity that, according to the notice, only two people each generation know about the recipe of that mixture. Perhaps if more people knew about it that would help to improve it! Strange smell in the tin, something like wax or shoe polish. Strong nicotine: some smokers may look for that. Nothing to say about the aroma: did not find what to say. Not the most expensive of tobaccos in a tin but not worth it.

Pipe Used: Parker

Purchased From: Amsterdam

Similar Blends: I would hope not many..

cloudconnect Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cloudconnect (10)
Mild Mild Mild Unnoticeable

I found this to be too weak to recommend, but maybe the extreme mildness would appeal to some. It smells good, and unique, from the tin, with an interesting fruitiness that I can't quite pin-point. Lighting and smoking is fine but you just can't detect much flavour from it. In addition, it is quite hot burning, quick, and you get a lot of tongue bite and empty smoke. I was quite disappointed but I am hoping that Erinmore Flake might be the better of the two varieties put out under this name. The reason this tobacco fails is because it doesn't deliver as an aromatic, and it doesn't deliver as a Virginia blend (in my opinion). Pick a side and deliver that's all there is to say - don't try to do both. I tried blending with more cavendish and it didn't work. Don't know what else I can do with it.

Galbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Galbreath (5)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Tolerable

Being new to pipe smoking, I tried this in my Medico Conqueror. I found it to be very wet and tasted more like a cigerette. I read that some have dried it out after a month and added moisture to it. I may try this as new pouches are not to my liking. I do not plan on buying this again. ===========================================================

After drying for over a hour, I recently tried this in my new cob. I showed some improvement. The cigerette taste is reduced and a mild sweetness is present. This made me bump it to 2 stars. There are other brands that are better but if you are limited in selection make sure you use it in a cob and not your briar. But, be careful since it does burn hot.

McNulty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
McNulty (6)
Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

If anyone likes Erinmore Mixture I'd be happy to give away the mostly full 50g tin I have.

I wish this tobacco was at least bad tasting. Then I would have SOMETHING to say. As it is, this tobaccos has no taste at all. Mildly sweet tin aroma promises something interesting, but it's lying.

After several tries over a couple of years I decided to mix it with a flavorful virginia I like. Again, no taste at all. Don't even bother with this if you like flavor.

I've tried it in a Peterson 304, various cobs, and a couple of Grabows. Always the same, regardless of moisture too.

I'm dumping this bowl and packing some HH Vintage Syrian I've been enjoying as of late.

Mac Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mac (19)

There is a reason why this blend has been around for such along time . Its a very pleasant easy smoking aromatic that deserves more praise than it gets.

Edsen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Edsen (5)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Did not like this one tasted to much like roll up cigarettes. I was expecting more of an aromatic sweetness and flavour but no not for me, Ive added it to a tub of non favourate other to see if it may change over time for a rainy day Nic hit only

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)

Erinmore Mixture… Years ago I tried several tins of their flake version of this blend and found it way to much of a fruity aromatic for my taste at least at that time, but either my beat-up old palliate has changed (again) or this mixture version is very different, because I'm enjoying this stuff. This ribbon cut version seems to burn better (no surprise) and is much smoother across the board. I found no tongue bite and very little Virginia tongue tingle, which for me makes this blend more enjoyable. Overall IMO a very user friendly smoke, with enough tobacco taste to know your smoking real tobacco, not gum-drops. I would recommend this blend to anyone that found the flake version OK, but too aggressive, and for that matter anybody else that enjoys a easy going ARO. from time to time. For that person...3+ Stars.

tleek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tleek (51)

This is a pretty good blend. I consider myself an English blend man, but as most pipe smokers do, I enjoy a variety every now an then. When I am not smoking an English blend, I enjoy Virginia and vaper blends, and European style aromatics.

There is a real difference in my opinion between American Aromatics, and European, aromatics. The latter being more focused on adding to a particular blend of tobaccos rather than attempting to make a tobacco taste or smell like a particular something else.

Erinmore mixture is definitely a European style Aro, and a great one at that. Perfect for the smoker who enjoys flavor and finesse, and sometimes wants something light and sweet.

The taste of Virginia tobaccos are present throughout the bowl, as is a sort of fruity sweetness. The cavendish adds The tin note reaks of citrusy fruits and maybe vanilla, and the taste resembles that, but much lower key.

A very good blend worth trying.

palm springs piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
palm springs piper (12)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

If you are looking for an aromatic, but not one of the usual artificial "junk" aroes, try Erinmmore. I was put off by the reviews mentioning a pineapple flavoring, but put it to the test when I found a tin at the local Tinderbox (one of only four left in California, by the way). The pineapple is present, strongly, in the tin note, but not the taste. Burning characteristics are very good for a wet and somewhat sticky tobacco, the flavor is mild, with a medium sweentess and a fruit taste that is present, but again, mild. The flavoring reminds me most of ripe nectarines. The base tobaccos are clearly like other Orlick products, and that is fine by me since I am a fan of their Dunhill offerings. A Dunhill-like boost in the nic department would be appreciated. This is the nicest aro I have tried, but I'll keep hunting for that perfect dessert pipe. And now for something completely different...Grousemoor.

henwrench Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
henwrench (16)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Strange how some of these tobaccos polarize opinion so much. I grabbed some of this stuff from a newsagents, mainly because I hadn't seen it anywhere before. Yes it's wet, I left mine out overnight to dry. It is also very Clan-like in it's fine ribbon cut and I reckon it's best to pack this lighter than you would normally do so. But what an enjoyable smoke, cool, fairly quick burning and a taste that seems to creep and creep. Mid-bowl, I found myself staring contentedly at nothing in particular, thoroughly lost in a fug of smoke, the odd giggle and chuckle spluttering forth as I sat back in my shed and when I left half an hour later, I kinda wobbled across the yard and back into the house. And to really freak the haters out, mix it half and half with Clan...HA HA!! Wonderful...

mnadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mnadz (35)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I think you need to just have a taste for this. I did not. Also, I could not get past the nasty tongue bite this gave me. I smoked the entire tin, hoping it would get better and it caked my pipe...but it did not. Would never buy this again.

Tobacconists Aprentice Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tobacconists Aprentice (20)
Strong Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I picked up an old tin of this online still full of the old style tobacco when it was still made in Ulster.

I was somewhat overwhelmed by the moistness of the blend and the sweet fruity pinapple like notes. under all this was a dark chocolate coffee smell.

It filled a bit awkwardly because I presume of the moisture and was a bugger to light and keep lit. The taste was currant bun/pudding like and fruity and not unpleasant but it burnt hot and bit somewhat.

It left quite a large wet dottle which angered me as it meant frequent digging out and reaming.

I transfered the remaining tobacco to a loose lidded jar to try and dry it out a bit. I succeded. The result was cooler, better lighting and burning smoke, but the currant bun/pudding taste was much deminished leaving only the coffee chocolate notes. The dottle waste was less but still present.

Overall not an awful tobacco but nothing great either, too labour intensive and fiddly to be realy enjoyable. I will finish smoking what I have but I'm certainly not about to start panic buying more.

renwardhoop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renwardhoop (59)
Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

I have to admit I expected a lot more from this blend. Alright I tried it in a Captain Black ghosted pipe which didn't help. I'm such a lazy sod when it comes to pipe cleaning.

Realising my error I switched to a virtually new pipe with 9mm filter. Give this blend a fair trial I thought.

I certainly gave it a lot of time but I couldn't get anything other than a very subtle, more like faint, aroma of something in the pouch.

It's soft to the touch reminding me a little of some of the Robert Lewis' tobaccos. There any similarity ends of course.

This blend remains tasteless throughout the smoke and starts getting hot very quickly. Tongue bite, yes. Not a million miles from Ashton's blends in that regard. No saving grace like a nice room note either.

Not the vilest I've ever had the misfortune to try but seemingly lacking in any buy again attributes. Maybe the flake is different but I can't say I'd bust a gut to find out.

Very disappointing, as I Remember this blend being smoked by old guys in the 70's when I was still on fags and it certainly wasn't odourless and tasteless then. Perhaps that is just looking back with the old rose-tinted glasses on.

Mark Devall Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mark Devall (9)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Just smoked a bowl of this. No tongue bite, no overwhelming flavours. It's a bit like a nice twiggy campfire. Smells of apricots and raisins in the pouch. I like it, not as sweet as Clan or as Strong as Condor/St Bruno or as flavourless as Gold Block.

Taylor3006 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taylor3006 (47)

This blend reminds me of Stanwell's Melange only a bit weaker. This is not a bad thing for me, I quite enjoy both but can only smoke Melange every once in a while. Erinmore is a nice gentle smoke, something I could smoke all day. Smells nice, lights up well and stays lit, but I think it could bite if puffed heavily. Really pleasant tobacco, if you like aromatics this one is a fine change of pace.

Jaw Warmer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaw Warmer (3)

I used to smoke Erinmore Plug for years (40++). Erinmore is no longer available this end of the world so I decided to try the Erinmore Mixture - What a letdown - I found it very mild with a weak taster/flavour. I mixed in some Condor Original and it did the trick - It turned out to be a fine mix. Would I buy Erinmore Mixture again - NO - I would only buy it if I was stuck but I would mix it with some Condor to give it some body.

Northern Pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Northern Pipes (22)

Smell is the key to this one. It smells great in the pouch, the room note is also quite pleasing. The flavour was a little lacking but all the different flavours can be tasted in it. Interesting little thing. As I smoked it, whenever I'd clear my throat or coughed a little, an aftertaste of some sort of berries was definitely present. Not while smoking for me, only when I cleared my throat. The flavouring while smoking was a little citrusy. I'd buy it again, but not my first choice. Good one to have stashed when the mood fancies it.

Lord Clam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lord Clam (3)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

Erinmore Mixture is a pleasant aromatic with a kind of 'citrusy' casing. It leaves a really nice room note and having used it in a number of smoking shelters, it wont offend anyone. Another positive with it is having smoked it in several different pipes and several different weather conditions it burns all the way down to the bottom of the bowl without re - lighting.

The only downside to it is that it gave me major tongue burn, and I kept wondering how nice it would have been without the flavoring! This may have to do with a developing taste for English tobaccos. In general, a nice blend, but I'm not sure I would buy it again.

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (100)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

What a disappointment. I've long enjoyed Erinmore Flake and never felt any need to sample the Mixture. Then I foolishly decided to tack a tin onto a recent order.

The mixture looks nothing like the beautiful dark brown of the flake. Here, we get a fine, ribbon cut mix of golden and red Virginias with a smidge of black Cavendish. The topping — the unique fruit/licorice that defines the brand — is the same here, but it seems more heavily applied in the Mixture. Unlike most, I've always found the aromatics of the Flake to be kind of elegant and restrained, but the same topping on the Mixture seems cloying and overwhelming to the base tobaccos. On top of that, the tobacco of the Mixture burns faster and a little hotter than the Flake.

I suppose that if you can't get enough of the Erinmore topping, the Mixture will be preferable. But beyond that, I don't see any reason to recommend the Mixture.

asmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
asmoke (4)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I don't like aromatics. This is an aromatic. The "mystery flavor" does not really do anything for me. I'm rating this from the perspective of someone who likes latakia, english blends, golden and red virginias; generally full tasting and potentially bitey stuff with no casing, or at least casing that is not easily detected. Might be fine for someone who likes aro's. One thing that really bugged me about this was the supposedly "cool" smoke aspect. The coolness seemed to come from something in the casing, not the tobacco itself. Dare I say menthol-ish? Eww. One thing that made me suspect of this was the dampness of the blend combined with the bite on the roof of my mouth and the temp of my pipe. My pipe was too hot, I had a burning sensation on the roof of my mouth (not intolerable, but not totally pleasant either). With all of this combined I still had a disturbing "cool" feeling on my tongue/mouth. It freaked me out. I'm giving this away before it contaminates one of my pipes.

Kruppstahl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kruppstahl (3)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I purchased a five pack of Erinmore Mixture (Murray Sons and Company) tins at Gibraltar in 2008. I've got 2.8 of them left. When opened, you'll find the tobacco to be very moist. Way too moist, in my opinion, for a good smoking experience. Right from the can it smokes "wet". The casing is strong and difficult to describe. I gave a tin to my second officer (a she) to smell and define. She instantly said "apricots". I can't come any closer. Safe to say that its somekind of fruit.

Not liking the way it smoked right after opening, I stowed it away, and aging is what it wants. Badly. After the badly needed ageing it needs to be dried out, and dried considerably. The results of the drying are two fold. Drying it will cause it to burn more evenly, less "wetly" and thus more cooly, and secondly, the drying reduces the excessively strong casing.

Aromatics are not my favorite tobacco. I prefer the English varieties. However, if EM is aged and dried, its a pretty good smoke, and if you like aromatics, probably one you should try.

?pe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
?pe (41)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Is that pineapple or apricot I can taste? Trying to solve that puzzle is about the only interest that this tobacco offers to me.

It's not offensive though.

Seanz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Seanz (2)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I bit the bullet and forked over the fifty dollars for a tin of Erinmore mixture. After only as few bowls i am undecided on the stuff, Upon opening I got a nice fruity scent with some anise/ liquorice overtones. Find it Quite dry in the tin. but then I am used to quite wet cased baccy. (I am a newbie)was reasonably okay but has a strong tongue bite, though that could me ! all in all I cant see myself forking out the money on this again but might get a few tins online ( read cheaper) and have some in the cellar as a off and on smoke.

Grizzly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grizzly (6)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Have to say that this is my everyday tobacco of choice at the moment. Owing largely to the demise of local tobacconists, all I can get is OTC mass produced blends. It is not too harsh on the palate and it smokes evenly to the bottom of the bowl. Usually a light then a tamper and then another light will suffice till its all gone. Burns to a fine white ash and no gloopiness. It doesnt sear your palate or tongue and leaves a slightly sweet aftertaste in your mouth, which has to be better than it tasting like Amy Winehouses undercrackers after a paricularly nasty bush fire.

I like the underlying sweetness which comes from the somewhat pineapply peachy casing which comes through into the taste but you cant really recognise what it is apart from the fact that you know that it is sweet.

To sum up, for me this is the best of the readily available supermarket blends especially if you prefer slightly aromatic blends blends over English or Oriental, far superior to Clan IMHO.

Buy some if you havent tried it. You may like it.

update 13 may 2011 - have discovered that there seem to be 2 manufacturers of this tobacco. the review above relates to the tobacco manufactured under licence by Orlik.

The other manufacturer is Scandinavian Tobacco and this to me is a completely different and lesser experience, it is harsher, has a bite that burns the roof of your mouth and is altogether an inferior product. I could only give this blender a maximum of 2 stars when I am feeling in a particularly benevolent mood.

aviviljoen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aviviljoen (18)

This can be a temperamental blend, in that it doesn't always burn evenly. One has to take care when filling the bowl. The blend contains sticky bits, almost like pieces of molasses, which must be removed from the tobacco before it goes into the pipe. Even with these bits removed, I still don't always get an even burn. It can be a labour-intensive smoke.

When it's going, it provides a pleasant, fruity, sweet smoke, and a similar room note.

Not a bad tobacco, but Erinmore Flake is a better choice in all regards.

who broke my clay pipe? Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
who broke my clay pipe? (45)

Says "john murray" on the tin label,,;is it?

My first try of this was a 25g pouch which i had jarred for about 3 years when i gave up pipes(can't remember why i gave up,,it might of been the smoking ban or i just tidied up my tobacciana one day and forgot to continue?)

Anyway: virginia, burley and black cavendish with a casing..

Round 50g tin with the usual paper and card inside;some light but mainly tan and a little amount of black ribbons.

Tin aroma like plain cake of some sort(fruit bun?)

Already a regular purchase with me,and up there with the best of anything that is harder to aquire...:Its availability is a virtue because its quality to me is above other OTC cardboard blends..

It benefits from a pre pipe airing and half a day of being fluffed up in the tin to air as well(to return to normal atmospheric pressure),but it is instantly smokable if you are less patient..

Pipe used:6" clay georgian and falcon pipe..

Flavour: It has a fruictose sweetness that defies any specific fruit when smoked in a briar bowl,but does in my clay have an initial pineapple(i know about the fact of the pineapple on the tin is not necessarily pineapple in the tin)

So it has a light casing but i would not call it an aromatic like others that taste like the christmas selection chocolates.

Very mellow yellow flavour like the cream of the milk,,reminds me of sweet all butter shortbread or custard ,,or semolina.(apple crumble room note?),,,sometimes i taste banana milkshake,,;all in the natural sence of the tobacco rather than the casing i might add.

Burns cool and steady and doesn't fight my natural cadence of puffing,,,;it takes flame easy without relight or much expansion on the light up,,,;i could probably use matches on this if i could be bothered,but i only smoke a clay and falcons so i just use a pipe zippo.

Stays consistant all the way down the bowl,and right near the end in my clay pipe it takes on a rich clotted cream flavour..(because clay can take a thermo punishing it brings out more flavour i find)

No soap with this or bite,,;maybe a little "coal tar" brand soap on the first light up which disapears with an immediate tamper..

I have have described most of the tobacco's i like as alldayers - it means its possible and sometimes done,,,;but i usually try to smoke a bit of variety in a day. :This though more than any other of my "alldayers" is what i call a true alldayer - its an allrounder that i don't get tired of.Its a smoke that smokes itself and doesn't demand attention(an autopilot smoke),,,like sucking a butterscotch sweet,you can forget you are actually smoking it almost.

Simular to "erinmore flake"(i think they use the same or simular ingredients)but this one is slightly lighter and sweeter,but i can smoke either with the same oppinion,,,:the flake has a bit more body and is not as naturally sweet....The flake has a slight nutty factor (burley)that i don't detect in the mixture as much,,;Mixture stays lit slightly better(only slightly)

The room note is like the taste;pleasant and innoffensive so I would say its a safe sociable smoke that will probably attract enthusiastic pedestrians rather than repulse..(esp the "ayup can i have a go of yer pipe mate" types)

Steden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steden (84)

Bought in January it seemed too fresh so, after a couple of bowls, I left the tin apart some weeks and recently reopened, unluckily not too much has changed… this historicized blend is characterized not for the tobaccos employed but just for the unique flowery-fruity-citric scent and it's not good for me … perhaps for you.

Philosopher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philosopher (27)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

A very pleasant smoke, fruity but mild. Despite the fact that I puff vigorously, no bite at all. Not much of a nicotine hit, though. But overall, definitely a good tobacco.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)

This is different than the Erinmore flake. It is not a ready -rubbed version of the flakes.

Same citrus sweet aroma than the flakes though, this is an interesting tobacco to smoke. I have smoked it in both the pouch and the tin and, as usual, I find the tin version so much better than in the pouch.

Packs and lights easily, smokes and burns easily, releasing the same tin aroma in the taste combined with tobacco taste.

Also, there seems to be a decent dose of vitamin N in here.

If you are seeking a good quality cased tobacco that is not overwhelming in its casing, I suggest you try this one.

Bulldog Jeff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bulldog Jeff (11)

When I asked my pop what his pop smoked in the pipe, he told me Erinmore was what he always smoked on Sundays, and that his pop before him had also smoked this. When I put it on the counter at the local tobacco store, the lady pretended not to notice and attempted to steer me toward some of their bulk aromatics. I didn't understand why she was acting so strangely until I got this home and tried a pipe full. I fear her impression of me has diminished slightly.

I smoke this out of an old Dr. Grabo with the filter long-ago discarded. It was my old Cap. Black pipe, and this tobacco suits it well. Its a sweet, puff-puff kind of smoke, not unlike the afore-mentioned Cap. Black. Actually quite reasonably better, but not the aromatic luxury of Villiger 1888 Mid-Day. Not something to sip and savor.

This tin and the Dr. G have been relegated to the footlocker with the camping supplies for smoking around a campfire this coming summer. If your grandpa and your great grandpa used to smoke this, I recommend you purchase a tin for your camping box as well.

==== UPDATE ==== I was sitting around this evening contemplating a smoke, and I was compelled to dig this stuff out and try it again. Sweet, fruity, and lightly aromatic. I'm actually looking forward to camping this summer.

Lately, I have been smoking Erinmore Mixture in order to compare it with Erinmore Flake. First, let me say that the appearance of the Mixture differs from the Flake in several ways. The mixture is not a broken flake as some have stated. It is a classic ribbon cut, medium in length. With the exception of some black cavendish sprinkled throughout the mixture - and not overdone I might add - the tobacco is noticeably lighter in color than that of the flake. The tin aroma of the Mixture is similar to the flake, but milder overall. I also did not notice much of the incense-laden lemon scent that I experience with the flake. No licorice presence nor anisette this time, but as with the flake, it's note is hard to describe. More fruity than floral - but not fruity in the traditional sense. The state of freshness was just right for packing and lighting - actually easier and with fewer re-lights than with the flake. There was, however, a bit of gurgle that required the use of a pipe cleaner on the average of once or twice a smoke. I expect this to disappear as my tin dries out a bit. The tastes were similar. However, the flake has more depth of flavor, has that very agreeable flowery hint, and makes for a stouter smoke. Like the flake, the tin aroma translated into the smoke, but again like the flake, remained in the background. The Virginia flavor was, from what I can tell, coming from a minimally stoved (if stoved at all) Virginia. It burned slowly and I was rewarded with a cool, pleasurable, and tasty smoking experience. It was never cloying and I would not classify this as an aromatic in the American sense. It was true tobacco flavor from first puff to last, burning to a medium gray ash, and without any bitterness. It does, however, smoke hotter than the flake. Overall, I tend to prefer the flake as it is fuller in taste and stronger overall. I also love the tin and size of the flakes which make for easy carrying and loading. That said, Erinmore Mixture still deserves a solid recommended.

As a side note, my flake tins do not have any mention of Murray Sons & Co. Ltd., whereas the mixture (50gm) tins do. Both their labels say, "Made in Denmark for Peter Stokkebye Tobaksfabrik A/S." I suspect Orlik is the blender.

UPDATE 1-4-11: Tonight on my way to teach an evening class at college, I loaded up an Ascorti New Deer with EM. It was below freezing outside, but inside my car for the 20 minute drive, it was toasty warm. I had one of the best smokes ever from that pipe filled with EM. The taste and resulting "car note" were both beyond description.

Sagitaurus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sagitaurus (1)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Started With that two years ago...still enjoy it to the moment...not aromatic but still a nice blend.

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Can't really tell the difference between this and flake. Flake probably is more concentrate.. But it is a flake after all

Certainly fruity I guess, and I would say that this is the very next step up from OTC blends. In the UK St. Bruno, Condor and Clan (Yak!) are the general 3 that you find.

Still it's not bad, I've certainly had a lot worse. (Peterson's Sweet Killarney, Sam Gawith's Perfection, and Clan)

KahveDelisi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KahveDelisi (45)
Medium Strong Medium Tolerable to Strong

the reason I quit pipe smoking for four years. Started all over with new pipes (roll eyes-roll eyes-roll eyes)

Tazman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tazman (4)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

My favorite tobacco.Pleasant and fruity aroma,sweet aftertaste and of course wife doesn't complaining that it stinks:)

jazzmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jazzmoke (57)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Not too good and not so nasty. I think I should judge it as an "english aromatic". The Virginias give it a nice consistence, and tha cavendish adds some flavor, it's a little spicy and I believe that is due to red virginias that I spotted in the mixture. It is not something that I will buy again, but I will surely buy other tobacco's from Erinmore. I do not regret buying it.

I have long been a fan of Erinmore Flake (new version). I do have a long-opened tin probably from the late 70s, and it is almost smokeable! I really want to try the Murray's era from an unopened tin that has not degraded so much. Well, I did score a tin of Murray's period Erinmore Mixture on Ebay that a reputable authority has dated for me to probably the late 80s. I have smoked a few bowls, and though I don't like it as much as the Orlik version of the flake, am happy to have it. The topping is different than that of the newer flake, but that is all I have to compare it to. It seems more flowery than fruity. I'm also not sure I like the Virginias in the Mixture as much as I like those in the flake. Still, a nice smoke, and a taste of history, even if it is still fairly recent history.

Logwood Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Logwood (9)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The smell from an open tin is quite intense, with a very sweet fruity aroma. However, this does not translate over as much while it is being smoked, although it is still noticeable.

I have certainly enjoyed quite a few bowls of this blend, but I would have to say there are better options available when looking for a flavored tobacco.

Daggers62 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Daggers62 (18)

I preferred this tobacco from all fo the other supermarket brands that I have tried. It burns fairly quickly and needs to be dried a little first.

If you want to put a cake on your bowl quickly then this will do it for you but is an enjoyable smoke. Leaves me with a nice warm aftertaste that makes me look forward to the next bowl.

A thumbs up from me.

Hector Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hector (2)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I will come back on this review as soon as I try more of this. I bought the package also by mistake but I'm not sorry about it. Also the smell is aromatic when you open the pack, the smoke is less aromatic than most of those candy like tobaccos. That's what I like about it. The thing that I LOVE about it is the smell and taste: it's exactly like the black cherry gem my mother makes every year. And i LOVE black cherry gem. For those that don't know, black cherries are small, dark cherries that are bitter. I think that's their secret ingredient.

Corncob Mechanic Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Corncob Mechanic (3)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Bought a tin of this mixture in part because its reviews were so polarized - also the price was right. Upon opening, the tin aroma reminded me of Grandads old snuff. Sweet and raisiny with a bit of "spiceyness". Couldn't wait to try it out in my corncob. WOW what a let down. Not sure what happens once you light this stuff up but it ain't pretty. Oh sure I could taste the virginias but the other taste was not so pleasant. Sort of like urine on a camp fire. Won't be smoking anymore of this. Wanna trade?

Acopio Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Acopio (2)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I really produces a feeling of calm from the first puff, easy to burn.

Aromaniac Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aromaniac (7)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Another of those spring-time virginias with a twist! Smells and tastes great, and burns slow and easy. Narrow bowls are recommended.

Blackberry, peach and grasslike.

Tee-dub Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tee-dub (48)

I don't think I'm a particular fan of aromatics. So I am probably the wrong person to review this. I bought it only by accident.

All that said, I was expecting to dislike this, and I did--sort of, at least at first. But I tried it again, and here's the thing: I actually sort of enjoyed it. This doesn't suit my tastes, so this won't make a regular rotation, but I think I can appreciate why some others are so fond of it.

It is mild, cool, and dry. It burns nicely. The topping is fruity, but for the life of me I can't pin it down. At first, I thought it tasted of peach or apricot, but this faded away. Yes, there's a picture of a pineapple on the tin, but I suspect one only thinks of pineapple because of that picture. Another review said he tasted 'dark fruit' in this blend--currants, or figs, or dates. Hmmmm. Maybe. Licorice? I don't know.

Erinmore advertises that the 'secret' recipe makes for a "refreshing" smoke (their word), and I have to agree. It is cool, slightly sweet, and calming.

All in all, I can find no fault with this. It is pleasant enough, and agreeable if taken for what it is. But I will never ever buy this again.

ynrozturk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ynrozturk (40)

I'm a fan of aromatics and I had high hopes for this tobacco. I had heard a lot about it so I decided to give it a try.

The tin aroma smells awesome. I instantly got the Virginia's in there, and that alone made me think I was in for a real treat.

Handling was easy; the moisture levels were good so it was easy to pack and light without any hassles. I loaded up my Croci and off we went.. to Hell.

This stuff, I don't know what it is, but the flavoring tastes like a mix of battery acid and some demented fruit way past it's prime. The smoke is harsh, strong, and just downright terrible. I couldn't believe it.. and I really like Erinmore Flake. I didn't think it was possible for this to be as bad as it was for me. Maybe it just didn't agree with my body chemistry.

I sipped patiently to the end of my bowl, fighting the urge to just dump it out. It's an aromatic which is not an aromatic, if that makes sense. The horrible flavor of whatever the hell they put in there should be banned from all existence.

Ugh.

final_id Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
final_id (35)
Mild Mild Mild Strong

This just plain old tastes bad. I thought I was getting Erinmore Balkan Mixture, but instead I only ended up with Erinmore Mixture. My mistake, I suppose, but you'd think a manufacturer or retailer would bother with the notion of making clear to us consumers what it was we were buying. So, points off for being misleading with the labeling on the outside of the tin, in the first place. And, more points off for what they put inside the tin.

Very nice shag cut. Comfortably moist, not too sticky. Smells slightly sweet and candy-like, like caramels or butterscotch maybe? Packs fine, does a good job of lighting too. And that's the end of the positives.

It has a soapy, chemical-like flavor. Though the subtle hints of tobacco taste are discernible underneath the foundational overtones of car wash and disinfectant, you know something has gone bad wrong when you're working to FIND the tobacco in your tobacco. It also leaves a "cigarette smoker's mouth" aftertaste, that dry dusky stink of your maiden aunt who retired to a trailer outside Palm Springs after twenty-five years with the Motor Vehicle licensing department and now she wants to KISS YOU.

Yick.

wdsmith Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wdsmith (11)

I am not an expert on aromatics, only smoke them once in a while. I've read many rather unpleasent reviews of this mixture but have had a good experience personally so I thought I would add my two cents. It would seem that the mixture is quite a different beast than the flake version but I can't tell a huge difference. Yes the casing is one that you either love or hate but once I set the match to it I did not notice it at all. For some time now I've been on a search for the tobacco that my old Sunday School teacher smoked, low these many years ago. It always seemed pleasant and comforting and is one reason why I started smoking a pipe in college (that and Jeremy Brett's expert portrayal of Doyle's famous consulting detective). I believe that I've found it....

Regarding the acutal experience of smoking this blend, it reminds me very much of Peterson's University flake (taste and aroma). While the moisture content is quite substantial, I did not notice any bite after leaving it to dry for about 10 minutes, the flavors of the Va's and Burleys were quite noticable. A wonderful surprise for me since I smoke English/Balkan blends and can't seem to taste any tobacco flavor in most aromatics. The black cavendish adds a spicy note which is very nice towards the end of the bowl. All in all a good change of pace for me and I would recommend this to someone looking for a nice blend for the wife but still would like to taste the tobacco. No "gravy" or gloop left behind that some previous reviewers noted. No ghosting in the pipe either.

On a side note, my tin was blended by Stokkebye and I've never had a bad Stokkebye blend. A solid 3 stars.

Kathos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kathos (5)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Yes I agree that Erinmore Mixture does have a heavy casing, it's sweet in scent and pales little when smoked. I find that it smokes cool and easy, though if not dried for a few days before smoking it does tend to produce a very sour "gravy" in the bowl. I dry mine before smoking and I get no tongue bite or "gravy".

I enjoy smoking this blend as a change from time to time but it is far from my first choice in the gallery of fine tobaccos in the same price range.

SConnolly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SConnolly (3)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

I'm told Erinmore is a total love or hate sort of thing, so I find myself in the odd situation of having something good to say, as well as some negatives. Heck, my regular smoke is either 1Q or Squadron Leader, so perhaps I'm a bit messed up tastewise:-)

I was drawn to this blend because an uncle of mine smoked it regularly, and after he passed away I ordered a tin out of nostalgia.

First off, the opened tin reveals an aroma I like; some say pineapple, I say apricot, but I honestly can't know for sure. To be honest, the smell gets cloying after a while, but maybe it is a mood thing.

This is medium ribbon cut, and looks like golden virginia with black cavendish, as advertised. Not too moist at first, but (see below) it does benefit from some airing out.

I enjoy the taste quite a bit, good tobacco comes through, and the aromatic element is surprisingly tame. I must admit I had two bowls in a row, and liked the full and rich character. I do understand that the fruitiness is a love/hate thing; I like it, personally. Smokes easy, no bite, few relights. Room note stronger than I expected, but not too bad. All in all, very satisfying, if you like a mild aromatic made with quality virginia.

The bad bits: after only one bowl, my pipe smells horrific; not crappy tobacco horrific, but like dog a pissed in it and then wiped his arse with it horrific. A thorough sweetening with alcohol did little to help. My wife, children and pets passed out upon smelling what was once a decent Savinelli:-)

I next tried drying it out a bit, open air for 24 hours, and the results were MUCH more to my liking. It was still rich and fruity, but not cloying or overwhelming, and most importantly, the pipe can be saved. . .we have the technology:-)

Summary: I just don't know if I love it or hate it! I like the flavor, hate the ghost left by this blend. I hope my beloved uncle understands:-)

--smc

Bard of Christ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bard of Christ (9)
Mild Very Strong Mild Pleasant

This aromatic is what makes pipe smokers hate aromatics.

It smells nice enough, both in the tin and when smoked. I think the casing is something tropical, like a pineapple. The tobacco is cut short enough to fit in any size bowl. It packs and lights easily.

Once you get it lit, the "fun" starts. This tobacco is HARSH! It burns hot and wet, and the tobacco flavor is sour. I went through half a tin of this, and gave the rest away. That says a lot given the price of this tobacco!

With so many high-quality aromatics available (Wilke Cherry Cavendish, or Peterson Sunset Breeze, or Samuel Gawith Chocolate Flake) why would you settle for this tobacco? Even my local tobacconist (Boda Pipes of Greenville, SC) has a better bulk cavendish (Charles Towne) at half the price!

Not recommended by any stretch of the imagination.

HereComesCharlie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HereComesCharlie (1)

I have never purchased a tin of pipe tobacco. In the 3 years that I have been smoking a pipe, I have bought house blends from the two wonderful tobacconists in my hometown. Each shop has helped me along, let me smell the large glass jars, and been willing to talk pipe tobacco for a generous amount of time. I have tried aromatics, English, and Virginias - the latter of which I still haven't quite figured out, but will I'm sure. I chose Erinmore as my first tinned tobacco. Why? Because I had to start somewhere. So with an open mind, I twisted the tin and was assaulted by a cloying, overwhelmingly sweet fragrance of apricots (people have suggested pineapple, which appears on the tin. Power of suggestion??). I have just enough experience to know that tobacco often tastes different than it smells, so I flashed it up in my beloved meerschaum, my "workhorse" pipe in which I test all new tobaccos. Long story short - the topping was absolutely nonexistant. What remained was just a nasty smoke with no redeeming quality that my olfactory/gustatory senses could discern.I even tried thinking "English" as I sipped, but no go. My next thought was "Dude...why?!?". I'll dry it out, and try again later, but in a country where 50 grams = 30 bucks, ya gotta give me something, Erinmore. Maybe it's me - maybe it's you. But I'm pretty sure it's you.

muntajab Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
muntajab (11)
Mild Strong Medium Pleasant

The first few bowls I smoked was not bad at all. Then I soon got this lemon's taste in my mouth and even my stomach. It is wet too, and if you have bought it (and had to see the bright side of it), well fill half the bowl and it will smoke better. You can enjoy it every now and then for a change, but I could not smoke it everyday.

I really don't like aromatics, you don't even feel you're smoking, you only get the harmful effects of smoking with the artificial taste of flavoring. If you want fruits, eat them fresh! if you want to enjoy a good smoking, well, choose pure tobacco. I think i am not going to buy aromatics anymore, except the coffee flavors; they sometimes can be great. Honey can be fine too, but the essential thing they need to put in mind is not to make the flavor overwhelming; this is childish.

tpatriarche Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tpatriarche (23)
Mild Medium Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Whatever the original Erinmore Mixture may have been, this is not it. My pouch, purchased in Canada (2010) says Made in Denmark by Rlik Tobacco (might be different in other countries). There is almost no black Cavendish in it; I would guess it's almost 100% bright Virginia Cavendish, mostly fine ribbon cut with some chunks.

Doesn't burn very evenly. Harsh on tongue for a Cavendish.

I would expect an "Irish" tobacco to be stronger & more aromatic (as opposed to flavoured), e.g. Peterson Irish Flake. The pouch aroma makes me think honey & "Irish Whiskey" and is about the only Irish thing about it besides the name.

JDev84 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JDev84 (7)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

the scent and taste of fruity berries overpowers this extremely mild and cool blend. very slow and even burning, but great quality. floral smell.

Ponjello Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ponjello (2)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my first posting to you lot!! I've been a pipe smoker for over 50 years, starting with that "St Bruno" stuff (because my girlfriend at the time liked the smell), and stuck with it for many years. I then liked the style of the tin of Erinmore Mixture and consequently bought a tin!....I thought it smelt absolutely GORGEOUS, a little moist, but the smell just wanted me to sniff and sniff again (sod smoking it!) first impressions on lighting it were that it tasted of soap, but it was "easy" to smoke, so I persevered, and grew to love it......you could even make a ciggie out of it in times of need!...and it was my "best" brand. I smoked it for many years, and the room aroma was always favourable! When my wife gave up smoking (!!!!) I had to resume to smoking in my large, heated, shed, and seemed to want more from my pipe. So what do I have to say? A bl**dy good smoke, easy to do so with, decent nicotine hit, unpleasant taste left in the mouth, but a good "fall back upon" tobacco! Disatvantages: it takes ages to get rid of the taste from your pipe! Now I think it's a good tobacco for the newcomer, or someone who wants some peace, but I can't recommend it as I now prefer the "english" blends. Summary, Burns well, easy to light, decent carbon deposit, nice ash, nice smell...but the after taste of soap!! be interested to hear if anyone else shares my views.

DEN-C1956 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DEN-C1956 (28)

the very first tobacco that i bought and smoked,from the moment i opend the tin all them years ago i have never forgotten that aroma...in fact i asked the wife to call in to the smoke shop in our town to buy me a pouch only a few days ago because i wanted to give it another go,i was not disappointed,to those that have not tried this blend...do so asap.its great.

Capt. Cavendish Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt. Cavendish (21)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

I have my brother to thank for this blend, he brought it all the way from Italy for me to smoke, and I have thoroughly enjoyed it. I usually prefer aromatics, but this is a really tasty blend of high quality tobacco. Plus the yellow tin is kind of catchy. I recommend this if you've never had it before. It's definitely worth a try.

beren911 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beren911 (5)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

The thing taste great, smoke great, but even if you let it dry for a long time and smoke the thing slowly, I garantee a tongue bite on the thing wich is kinda sad considering the flavour and taste of the tobacco. There's also a little after taste that linger after a bowl that is a little bit uncomfortable. You should smoke the bowl on a one-hour period, not too fast, cause on a one-hour bowl, i had to stick a pipe cleaner in the stem to remove humidity. I give it a 2 star cause it's definitly better than Borkum Riff(The worst shit know to mankind), but not as good as Samuel Gawith Skiff Mixture wich i gave 3 stars.

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (113)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

If you like aromatics, you may like this. To me - and I don't like aromatics - Erinmore Mixture is awful: vile taste, vile room note, cased with heaven knows what. Whatever the secret ingredient is, the two people in each generation who know it can keep it as far as I'm concerned. BTW: how likely is the 'two people' story to be true, in this age of mass-produced tobaccos? Do they think we're fools? Anybody could reverse- engineer Erinmore if they liked, and clone it. But who would want to?

In my experience of it, at least, Erinmore Mixture with its ribbon cut packs well and lights well; unlike some reviewers, I didn't find it difficult to keep alight. Apart from these meagre positives, I have nothing good to say about it. Smoking it is like what smoking fruit gums would be if fruit gums were combustible. To my palate, at any rate, it is completely unlike Erinmore Flake, which I rather like. Sometimes Erinmore Mixture seems to taste of pineapple; sometimes of indeterminate Vimto-like fruity stuff; sometimes of liquorice. Yeccch!! When the smoke begins to pervade the room, panic-stricken civilians fight their way to the door, shrieking, and hamsters fall unconscious from their wheels (you don't believe me, do you?). Towards the bottom of the bowl it's as hot as Satan's britches, and it leaves behind a lot of unpleasant yuck.

This isn't one of those old-time tobaccos that has deteriorated over the years (cf. Gold Block; Three Nuns). I first tried it forty-odd years ago (my late aunt had a tobacconist's shop, and told me that Erinmore was one of her best sellers), and it was awful then. I guess this is a Marmite tobacco: you love it or you hate it, but nobody has mixed feelings about it. Give it a try and see what you think. Personally, I wouldn't have it as a gift: the odd flavour and room note just don't suit me at all. It's obviously popular and has been for many years, so evidently it has qualities that are lost on me. From my own purely subjective standpoint, though, very much not recommended.

Update, 21st January, 2012: Just for the hell of it, I tried mixing Erinmore Mixture with Condor Ready Rubbed: a suggestion made by another reviewer on these pages. Oddly enough, a fifty- fifty mix is rather good! Shall we call it Conmore Mixture? Erindor? I wouldn't smoke it all the time, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

It packs and lights well. Offers a long and quite nice smoke.

Its particular flavor can be interesting, nice or repulsive. You must try and see yourself.

For me it was interesting at the beginning. Then became just monotone. I have smoked exactly 15 tins of this blend between the years 2004 and 2008. The latest box with 5 tins were almost 4 years old. I didn't see any difference. That particular flavor was not interesting anymore to me so I quit smoking this blend. Not an unforgetable for me..

Komashoota Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Komashoota (6)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

Well, I'm right now smoking it! I can't complain, because it's not a bad blend, but I've seen better ones. Compared to other Erinmore tobaccos I've smoked, this is a bit different. Usually, Erinmore tobaccos are a bit strong, but this one, I think is aimed at beginners. It has a good room note... I think I'll smoke the tin, but will not come back to it... good for beginners anyway...

kg0mz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kg0mz (54)

I thought I was buying the flake, but ordered the ribbon mixture by mistake.

I don't like the burn characteristics of ribbons. I have dried it out, but it still burns like a ribbon...too fast, and with condensation. However, this is quality tobacco, and I don't think the topping is overdone. It is cool for a ribbon, and I get no tongue bite. I have smoked one star mixtures, and this is not one of them.

The tin aroma is, to me, nice. VA with a mild topping. In the bowl I get a VA with a mild and unique topping, not at all objectionable. This is quite good...for a ribbon. I will not be buying more of this mixture, but I will order the flake. If you like the "convenience" of ribbons, I can recommend this.

bennyslattery Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bennyslattery (2)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Erinmore Mixture is worth buying, if only for the delicious confectionary-sweet peachy smell that greets you when the tin is opened. The blend of tobaccos is good, and would probably stand up on its own, but it is the trademark fruity casing that has enabled the mixture to stand the test of time, and for this reason alone I would suggest trying it at least once. In reality it does occasionaly yield a sour taste, and can become slightly unpleasant towards the bottom of the bowl, but it does generally produce a pleasant and satisfying smoke. The packet version is not worth bothering with, however, and if this blend is going to be bought it should always be from the tin.

Contemplative Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Contemplative (14)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

Well now: I've been a pipe smoker for 22 years (since age of 41), and I never used to like this mixture. Always found the taste off-putting. However (and this is not the only example of how, to my surprise, I have re-visited old tobacco dislikes and suddenly really liked them), I am really enjoying the pouch I bought a couple of days ago. This is the first time I have smoked Erinmore for at least two years. I find the fruity smell of the mix in the pouch to be atractive; the flavour of the mix when smoked very pleasant; it is a satisfying tobacco; the aroma is very nice indeed.

It is also quite extraordinary, in that I've smoked my way through this pouchful almost non-stop for 2 days, but there isn't the slightest hint of bite, and there is no unpleasant tongue or mouth coating. My only complaint is that it smokes rather too fast, but then that's always the case with aromatics.

I'm really enjoying this stuff, and it makes life a lot easier, because I've had the same conversion with Gold Block and Player's Whiskey, so now I have got three extra proprietary brands (I was always able to get on with St Bruno, though I've gone off that for quite a while, too strong), widely available in local shops, to keep me going. I used to have to always order my tobacco on the net, because I couldn't get on with the proprietaries, but now I don't have that problem.

Gigilos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gigilos (24)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The first thing one needs to note is that there is important difference between the pouch and the tin version of this tobacco. If you are interesting in trying this blend out, do prefer the tin version as the pouch content is tremendously blunt with more tongue bite and no complexity in aromas.

Unlike the official description, the tobacco (in the tin version) is not so cool and mellow. In fact it is quite sour and can easily provide tongue bite. On the pros, the added casing doesnt appear too chemical and makes its presence notable in a rather discreet way during smoking. During smoking the blend produces lots of oils-fluids and hence will "haunt" the bowl for a long time. The fluids also provide a rather unpleasant smoking feeling.

On the symbolic level it is interesting how the company markets the tobacco casing as a secret recipe, but employs a pineapple as an emblem as well as a yellow-red tin format which both set up the preferred "readings" of the tobaccos' flavours.

Certainly not a tobacco in my rotation, but one which deserves to be tried out by pipe smokers- even for its historicity and contested character.

Medium Extra Strong Medium Strong

The Erinmore Mixture has, for as long as I can remember, polarized smokers. When I was a neophyte some 20 years ago, the few pipe smokers in my peer group all held EM in awe as a macho mixture, being strong enough to send our inexperienced palates to their premature graves. To be able to enjoy it (back then) was to have reached the zenith of smoking. Oh, well... those were the days.

Off from the nostalgia trip, EM really does polarize - it's strong in one way, soft in another. It's over-flavoured in one way, yet natural in another. The best way I can describe the tin aroma is "metallic;" the pineapple aroma many other reviewers here have noted is in there, too. The tobacco comes rather wet (where I am); it may benefit from sitting around in the pipe for a half hour before lighting. Once properly alight, it'll quietly and gently burn down to a minimal amount of light- grey ashes.

The taste is sweet and fruity, somewhat tangy. If you don't like aromatics, open your window, take aim, and throw the tin (or pouch) as far as possible. This one is aromatic. The room note is... well, it depends on your tastes. It could be described as chemical, or as jelly-beanish. Or maybe both are the same and it's only a matter of your point of view. I guess what I'm saying is that the room note of EM is sort of what the taste of Red Bull is compared to other sodas - just something all its own. Whether you like it or not depends on your own taste.

Personally, I do like the taste to a certain, moderate extent. It's definitely not an everyday tobacco for me, and if you want to try this, do heed the earlier suggestions that you use a pipe you can spare for a few months - the Erinmore Mixture leaves a very strong afterflavour in the pipe it has been smoked in, and it does also leave a strong aftertaste on your palate. Whether or not you like the latter is, I guess, a matter of taste. On occasion, I do enjoy it.

2 stars from me; it can be a nice smoke, but as said before, it polarizes. Not only the smokers themselves, but also the audience.

Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is review of the Murray's version from mid-1990's.

Foul, fruity tasting heinous smelling, reasonably good leaf with tragic results.

What the aging of this tobacco may have done to it, I don't know. I do remember smoking some in the mid-1990's and being offended by its cloying sour-sweetness, so I do not know why I carried an extra tin into the next millenium. I do wonder how much the mind controls the taste buds, however. When I cracked the tin, I said to myself "I hated this bleepin' stuff way back when and I doubt it's any better now". It wasn't. How much of that was the tobacco and how much was my mindset, I cannot say.

This is neither a good English virginia with a crappy top note nor a good American-style aromatic. It's just a fruit basket of tobacco with fruit that's "gone over". Reminds me of that pathetic abomination Dunhill put together some years ago named Golden Hours. Just really bad, and it does nothing to make me want to try the Flake version, despite the better reviews. Normally I'd give this away but I want to keep what friends I have. Anyone that likes this is made of sterner stuff than I, and I salute them.

Peter Zorg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peter Zorg (34)

This might be a good all day tobacco. I smoked 4 tins which I purchased in duty free as a 5 box set, so it is smokable. However, I will not make efforts to find some more. I have put the fifth tin in my cellar, and I will try it later (let's say in one-two years). UPDATE: This is definitely a good beginner's tobacco. I feel the Virginia and a good amount of Cavendish with noticeable but not overwhelming flavoring. Nothing really noticeable in this tobacco. This definitely is not a Virginia mixture. It contains Virginia, there is no doubt about that, but the contribution of Cavendish is really important in the overall taste.

Moçambicano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Moçambicano (13)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

Even after reading so many negative appraisals of this old mixture, I decided to have a go at it ? albeit a very prejudiced one.

The first bowls tasted between good to unremarkable. From beginning to end, it always tasted the same; no "crescendo" type of experience, such as the ones to be found in more sophisticated mixtures. Always the same flavor and aroma of pineapple-cased virginia, very often disturbed by a foul tar aftertaste.

After smoking half a tin, I felt I had had enough. I was about to give it up definitively? Until I tried it in a filter pipe (oh, that purist's horror!).

For once in a lifetime, the advertisements in the filter's package seemed to tell the truth: the tar taste was removed from the smoke! I kept on piping until the tin was empty. What a pleasure it was! Not an extraordinary one, but a very decent one nevertheless. I'll buy it again, even if its not among my best choices.

Subotaj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Subotaj (8)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Ok.. You expect and wait to taste something but it just don't come. not a bad one but nothing special here.. It's like they forget to add some Cyprian Latakia here :)

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)

a blend of obvious bright citrusy virginia that have natural fruity sweetness to it (not the aromatic sweetness indeed)..many swore by detecting casings of pineapple and fruits in it but to me its a straight virginia and unflavored cavendish. mellow, mild and could easly be an all day smoke. packs easy and smokes even easier with no goop or tongue bite unless mistreated badly. the aroma was only acceptable to fellow smokers however,i dont think its the right choice to please mrs.right!

Oracles Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Oracles (1)

I was expecting to be hit by the much mentioned "juicy fruit" aroma when i popped my first 50g pouch of Irish made E.mix, nothing of the sort tho, its more like prunes or dried apricot and not particularly overwhelming at all, rather pleasant in fact! The Tobacco seems almost too dry considering Ive just opened it but when i sparked my first pipe it seems to be quite a nice smoke. I first tried the "Plug cut" and was pleased with my purchase and so when i spotted 50g pouch for £7.50p I thought why not. There are much worse smokes around (and im sure much nicer) but overall this ain't such a bad'en after all.

Medhat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Medhat (3)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Tolerable

well, i find it very Mild, hardly can feel the flavor, room notes isnt that nice!

actually im not sure if i'll try it again.

gunnn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gunnn (4)
Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

to me this tobacco has the smell and taste of apricots. i only wish that the taste came through as strong as the smell in the tin does. that being said i do have to admit that i rather enjoy this but i cant smoke much of it in a week or my tongue will fall off!!!!!

tritrek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tritrek (6)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a tobacco I've been looking for. You see all the vintage advertisements, hear the rumours, see the fancy dose... then you open it and you raise your eyebrows and say "well..." You smell it. Nothing special. The excitement starts to flatten.

It will be its flavour! ...no... it's not. This tobacco failed to impress me. It's flavour is unidentifyable, just... aromatic.

Too aromatic to be a natural, too plain to be an aromatic.

One star given for not being a total crap. Avoid.

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (96)
Medium Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

Tried this many years ago, when it was Murray's. If only two people know the recipe, then they should each take a pistol, find a nice quiet courtyard and do the decent thing.

jeffo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jeffo (17)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

this is in my opinion a good everyday smoke maybe not the best but it is easy to get in the uk i smoke it at work (in my place of work i am not allowed to smoke inside but i can run a smelly diesel engine)but it is a descent easy obtainable smoke

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Unique and traditional tobacco that is good any time of day. It is not for everyday use, a tin in a month is good balance. It is highly recommended and fine proof is that this name lasts for long time...

Addendum:

This blend is miles from this what it was once upon the time when the original company made it... Sic transit gloria mundi.

My rate: 3.0

BriarChef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarChef (100)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Blended by the Ministry of Silly Smokes.

Erinmore Plug is good stuff. This is just stuff.

Avoid.

Laudante Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Laudante (29)
Medium to Strong Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Actually, this blend would deserve only one star. What made me rate it with two was neither the famous, victorian name, nor the mysterious way to transmit the recipe (which, by the way, I don´t believe, unless some people of Murray Sons who "knew too much" were killed in 2005). The theme could serve for a bestselling novel: "The case of the tobacco blenders who knew too much"

What made me put the two stars was only the wonderful apricot smell in the tin. This tobacco could serve very well as a car aromatizer if packed properly and put under the seat. It could certainly work as well as a condiment to other tobaccos, in small quantities. But to be smoked alone, this is a failure. The reasons are well exposed by the other reviewers.

john doe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
john doe (41)
Medium Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

UPDATE: half a dozen pipefuls and this frugal smoker grudgingly dumps this in the trash. Just the thought of having to smoke 100 grams of this foul weed was enough to make me want to give up pipesmoking altogether.

smells and tastes like licorice. medium strength.

yuck.

Bob in Beijing Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bob in Beijing (4)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

I picked up a tin in the Hong Kong Duty Free and thought what the heck, it's worth a try. The blend was the licensed version. The room note was slight. The moisture content upon opening the tin was high with the casing very noticeable. I smoked a few bowls and moved to something else. A few months later, I revisited the blend and liked it a lot more. It had dried out and was not overbearing on casing. The quality is evident based on the white ash. I've since purchased another tin, this time from Northern Ireland. I cannot find much difference between the original and the licensed version. This is a good all day smoke.

LondoMollari Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LondoMollari (11)

Being a fan of aromatics, I snagged a tin of this blend after reading reviews calling it sweet and tasting like pineapple. It definitely does have a pineapple flavoring. The tin aroma beats your nose into submission with pineapples?a?flailing, but totally misses the mark once you light it up. Erinmore Mixture turns into what I consider a very dry tasting smoke once lit, with a lot less casing flavor than I would like, leaving me to look for a Coke-a-Cola or some water afterwards.

Packing the pipe is easy enough, and the tobacco was of the correct moisture level when I first received it. I do recall it getting hot and biting once or twice, but calming my draw down solved that problem. I just wish this stuff had a stronger pineapple flavor and didn?t leave my mouth feeling dry when the bowl is done.

Updated 6/1/2008

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

Erinmore Mixture is a vacuity with none of the virtues and all the vices of Erinmore Flake.

Classical Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Classical (13)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

Erinmore!

I bought my first (and only) tin of this simply because of all the poor reviews here at this fine site! I suppose I was thinking that any true pipe smoker must learn to have an opinion of this maligned tobacco.

The smell out of the tin is very strong! I can understand why so many think the casing is pineapple, but I rather tend to think of it as 'fruity' being towards the sweet/citrus end of things.

I found this blend easy to pack and light. It made a fairly quick transition to gray ash for me as I smoked it. It burns easily and leaves quite a bit of sweet-smelling smoke in a room.

The taste? Yes, the casing lasts throughout, but it was not as strong as it smelled in the tin.

UPDATE--As I've matured in pipe smoking I have come to recognize this stuff for what it is: A failed attempt at whatever it was they were trying to do. One star at best. I've dumped the rest of the tin.

Accompaniment: Riverdance.

garydobbs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
garydobbs (19)
Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm not a lover of this blend. Though it do find it okay if there's nothing else about to smoke. The aroma is terrific but I find the taste rather bland for my liking. But then I do tend to favour the full bodied tobaccos. It's okay as a blender and very mild so may suit a beginner but in truth I'm not a lover of this one.

Pipemanuk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipemanuk (76)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

When I were a lad, 50 or more years ago, there were old gents in tweed suits and trilbies that used to smoke this stuff. You could always tell an Erimore smoker cos he was old and whiskery. Of course the old gents have long since departed; but for some reason this stuff is still about. I don't know why it is that some great pipe tobaccos have passed out of this world and yet rubbish like Erinmore Mixture and Three Nuns are still here. I have just broached an old packet of this tobacco. It was a mistake. I should have sold it to the young and gullible. It has nothing going for it at all. Even aged as this is; it's still dry on the throat, has no nuance of flavour, gives no pleasure whatsoever. Sigh.

English Bulldog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
English Bulldog (10)
Strong Very Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

After more experience with other, less cased tobaccos and of a different variety such as latakia, virginia and burleys I have to downgrade this.

I initially enjoyed this as I did not know any better, having revisited it recently I could only stomach around 10 puffs before throwing the rest of the bowl away. Far too topped for my liking with pineapple/anise everywhere.

For those who prefer heavily sauced tobacco with a fruity/pineapple like base then they are in for a treat. That is not to say this tobacco does not have its place, it must possess some redeeming qualities for it is still produced and accounts for a large part of the pipe tobacco smoked here in New Zealand. I however have moved on to more natural blends and no longer enjoy Erinmore Mixture.

I still have around 4 tins (Orlik) which I'll keep and open in 30 years' time to see if anything has changed.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

There is not tobacco smoker who respects himself and he has not tried even once this tobacco. Long lasting tobacco with a stable flavor and quality, all these years. Of course, most of the smokers prefer FLAKE but I have smoked only Mixture. With the characteristic flavor of pineapple which some like and some do not. My mouth was a bit sour. Heavy enough and liquid, when you open it. It needs a good drying from the evening so you can smoke it easily in the morning, cool and pleasantly.

A long lasting value which we should face, with respect.

Wolfpaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wolfpaw (37)
Medium Strong Medium Pleasant

Erinmore Mixture was one of my favorites, way back when I first started enjoying a pipe. Times change, tastes change, and I suspect that the exact recipe for E.M. has also changed. Despite the heavy fruit casing, I found the latest version of E.M. to be somewhat more bitter than it once was, and slightly acrid. The tin aroma is much the same as ever-- an overlay of mixed fruit atop semisweet Virginia tobacco. Not an unpleasant smell, and it is indicative of what lies ahead when the stuff is smoked. The mixed-fruit flavoring seems much stronger than it used to be, or possibly I'm more sensitive to it than I was 35 years ago; I now grow tired of it after half a bowl of Erinmore Mixture. The tobacco is good quality though, and the strength is moderate. E.M.'s room note is sweet and fruity. Even non-smokers don't mind smelling this stuff all that much. E.M. isn't bad for what it is, but regrettably, it's no longer my "cup of tea." If I were to choose between the Mixture and its sibling, I'd opt for the Erinmore Flake; its flavor seems better balanced and the casing a little less overpowering.

Pipesmoking101 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipesmoking101 (18)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Following on from my love affair with Erinmore Flake, I considered it essential to experiment with the mixture. I bought not a tin, but a 25g pouch which is available here in the UK. My rating of somewhat recommended is more negative than I intend but I cannot give it 3 out of 4. If the rating was out of 5 stars, I would have given it 3. Upon opening the packet, one is olfactorally blasted with the Erinmore scent turned up to 'max'. This puts the scent of even E.Flake in the shade, & that's saying something indeed! It is not unpleasant, but has a slightly more 'chemical' edge to it than the flake. Upon packing the pipe, the ribbon cut is delighfully easy to pack to perfection. Upon lighting, the fist problems with this blend are experienced. Firstly, the flavour (which is pleasantly fruity, warm & citrus, if a little saccharine) is overwhelming, & the tobacco - which seems to be of a poorer quality than that in the flake - is hardly noticeable at all. After this, I experience difficulty in keeping this one burning constantly (even with judicious use of the tamper). When it is burning, it burns to an fine ash quickly, but the problem is that it keeps going out in-between! As one progresses past the first half of the bowl, this improves slightly & the smoulder becomes more constant. The flavour subsides for the last 3rd of the bowl, & the tobacco moves more to the fore, but the quality of the tobacco is the same throughout, so I don't feel particularly satisfied after just 1 bowl. On the plus side, this didn't even hint at the possibility of biting at all. It's relatively easy to get hold of here, & fairly cheap, so will doubtless be used by me again on the odd occassion, but I can't bring myself to upgrade it to 3 out of 4 due to the negative points, even though I think it's actually better than 2 out of 4. Yes it will stain your pipe, but can be cleared out with a thorough cleaning using a good sweetening fluid.

renoguard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renoguard (17)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I just bought myself a 50g tin of this and lit my first bowl. I am SOOO happy about one thing, I DIDN'T BUY THE 100g TIN!!! The smell out of the can was OK. It reminded me of a watered down, fruitier version of Blue Note (Blue note is WAAAYYY better than this for flavor AND aroma). It tastes a little "fruity" and a little bit medicineish for my taste. not much to write home about.

AND WHERE IN THE H--- IS THE BLACK CAVENDISH!!?? At least If I would have gotten the 100g tin, I would have got more B/C. My tin had about 3 specks in it.

The main positive is that it is "non smoker friendly", but I smoke for ME, not everyone else.

I wouldn't say that it's HORRIBLE, I have tasted worse, but I have also tasted BETTER. It is good quality tobacco, just not really my thing. Give me some Mac-baren's or some Blue Note.

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)

Erinmore Mixture is not bad at all, but i definitively prefer the flake than the mixture.

I imagine the composition is the same, and the casing is also the same.

Long, medium broad cut of golden, brown, red and black leaves, topped with a unique pineapple casing gives this mixture a particular taste indeed.

The smoking of the bakkie is somehow slowed down by the casing, I think, and the overall smoking time is a bit long.

This is non smoker friendly, and the bakkie gets stronger past mid-bowl.

All depending of the level of casing and the moisture level, this baby can smoke dry or incline to the wet side.

An overall good smoke, but not one that I would smoke on a regular basis...

I wouldn't recommend it for any beginner, though; you need to get some hair under your chin, first. :)

ROMMER Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ROMMER (17)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have tried the flake version of this and as you will see from my review of it I was not impressed, however I cannot in any way see any better in the mixture. Firstly a common problem with both the flake and it would seem even more so the mixture is actually keeping the stuff burning. Its one of thoese smokes that you could do with a vacum pump on the end for a few minuets to get alight. And it doesn't stay alight either. When it does you have to puff like mad to keep it going and even then is their any taste? Not really? Rotten pineapple comes to mind!

I have just thrown a whole 50g of the stuff on the fire thats how it has made me feel. For those of you who used to drink cheap cider as a student you will remember what its like to get the ultimate hangover on cheap drink, well this is the same. A lump in my throat at the moment and it was over an hour ago that I tried to smoke the stuff.

Do your self a favour...dont bother with this stuff.

Holy Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Holy Smoke (26)

Like many secrets passed down through the generations, Erinmore Mixture should not have been aired in public.

This stuff is near impossible to light without a prolonged period of drying and this effort does not pay-off in the slightest. This is a near flat blend that I would not recommend to anyone that I have to speak to again.

I gave this blend the obligatory three bowls before giving up on it. If you find yourself in the same situation, and you don't currently need an air freshener (a function that it is suited to), then try pressure steaming it for 3 hours and jarring for at least a month - you'll actually end up with something pleasant.

Review based on the 50g pouch, which is still in production and available in the UK.

Nick O'Teen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nick O'Teen (90)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Something went horribly wrong in the translation from flake to mixture.

Try the flake instead and forget this one.

Steerpike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steerpike (60)
Mild to Medium Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

A strongly scented ribbon cut, with the excellent quality Virginias that make up the flake somewhat watered down by a bit of Cavendish. For this reason, the mixture is considerably milder in tobacco flavour, and much stronger in terms of the essence.

Smokes a little hot, I find, which the flake never does, and can bite, which isn't a problem with the flake. Smoke it slow though, and you can really get to know the Erinmore essence.

It isn't bad, but for a more serious smoke that you can really get your teeth into, I recommend the flake.

Wriggles Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wriggles (44)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

I recently bought a tin for the first time, and noticed the pineapple aroma upon opening. The tobacco itself was very moist, too moist. My first pipefuls were non descript, but the high quality shines through.

The other day I smoked this in a Kaywoodie briar (no stinger) and the mellow Virginia came out. I also smoked this in a cob with equally favorable results. I think aging does this tobacco a world of good. The unfavorable reviews may result from a too fresh tin.

My advice: Dry it out and try again.

ex20adayman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ex20adayman (30)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

When I started pipe smoking this was one of the tobaccos on my "to try" list. I remembered people smoking it years ago and at the time thought it smelled good. My first review on here about it was pretty scathing as the first three or four bowlfuls of it were fairly harsh and peppery but this tobacco requires perseverance and it really does grow on you.

A week after my first attempt at smoking it I returned to the pouch of Erinmore and found I liked it solely due to it's unique taste. Fast forward a couple of weeks and Erinmore is now one of my favourites and I'm alternating it with my other staple - McConnell Glen Piper. Who knows it may even push GP out of the equation altogether. I'm aware that most Erinmore smokers smoke nothing else. I reckon they put something in the mixture...

One thing that all reviewers are correct about is the fact that this stuff stains your pipe(s) so you need to dedicate pipes to it.

For those interested, my initial (abbreviated) review is below :

"This stuff is truly dreadful and you cannot get rid of the taste even after smoking only four bowlfuls. To me, it has a really peppery taste that irritates the back of my nose! almost as if the main ingredient was sneezing powder! I've tried smoking it at different times of the day but that doesn't make any difference. It doesn't get any better no matter how far down the bowl you smoke it. I just don't know why anyone would smoke this stuff for pleasure. Also, I don't detect any of the attractive room note I so fondly remember...

Not recommended and it will ruin your pipe. Does smell nice in the pouch though - a bit like Earl Grey tea. No pineapple I'm afraid, that's an urban myth I reckon."

DrY11 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrY11 (39)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I have seen this blend take quite a bit of harsh criticism on this site - some of which I find extremely unfair.

First things first: This is an AROMATIC. If you are an aromatics man then it is OK for you. Personally, I prefer it to many other "widely available" aromatics I have tried. I do not object to its room note and I do not think that it will annoy me so much if it "stays forever in my pipes" - as long as they are my pipes devoted to aromatics.

Second: If you do not puff very agressively, it will not burn particularly hot etc. I have had some very enjoyable smokes with this.

In terms of aroma etc I would not think that it stands out particularly. Many other aromatics are similar to this. It burns cooler compared to them, IMHO.

In terms of cost: In my area it comes to around 11EURO/50g pouch. Compared to Borkum Riff and Captain Black which are about 13-14 EURO per 50g pouch it is clearly preferable. (I would not mind the extra cost for some higher quality aromatics like W.O. LARSEN Signature - which is about 28EURO/100g tin). On the other hand, there exist tolerable aromatics that can be bought for less than 7 EURO /50g pouch (Skandinavik, Amphora, Clan) and quite nice aromatics that can be bought in the range of 8 to 10 EURO/50g pouch (SAIL, Mac Baren, and slightly more expensive CALUME). Some of them even have more distinct personality.

CONCLUSION: If you like AROMATICS, this blend is recommended for what it is, although it may not be a best buy. If you do not like AROMATICS, then do not bother with this.

constantsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
constantsmoker (62)

This stuff makes for a very enjoyable smoke. Perhaps I got lucky (see earlier reviews). A little moist out of the tin, I was surprised at the smooth even burn, no bite on the tongue (and I am a 'puffer'), slightly fruity taste and pleasant aroma. Plus, it does not smoke hot. The issue with this mixture may have been quality control rather than, as at least one reviewer commented, lower grade Virginias. Well, to each his own. The best way to judge this or any other blend is to try a couple of bowlfulls for yourself.

A. Morley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A. Morley (73)
Medium to Strong Extra Strong Full Pleasant

Erinmore Mixture is confusing to me, as I imagine it has been confusing to many people. Erinmore Flake and Erinmore Ready Rubbed are among the most respected tobaccos to come out of the Irish blending tradition. Using some of the finest Virginia mixtures, they would augment and heighten the wondrous complexities of the tobacco with a secret essence that perfectly balanced sweetness and fragrance: just the sort of blend that I always love. Those, however, are not Erinmore Mixture.

With Erinmore Mixture, just as with all Erinmore tobaccos, we have that same magical sauce waiting to make the blend bloom with old-world charm. Instead of the quality Virginia which Murray Sons have always seemed to understand was the best choice for such situations, a blend of various lower quality Virginias, what appears to be Burley, and a fair amount of black Cavendish make up the base of this scented mixture. Why the thought that this was a good idea, I cannot say.

The pleasant and at times even delicious characteristics of all of the Erinmore series come through at the outset, as well as at various intervals throughout the bowl. Erinmore Mixture can just as soon give way the spoiled fruit flavor of poor quality Cavendish or the bile bitterness of bad burley or the scorching heat of bright Virginia that has not been carefully handled in blending. What's more, it smokes quite wet more often than not. In short, Erinmore Mixture has so many of the drawbacks that are to be found from those notoriously low quality bulk aromatics that so many unsuspecting neophytes fall pray to. I can imagine Murray Sons & Co. falling under the assumption that this is where the pipe tobacco market was going and decided that they had to make their own version of it. When your original offerings were as fine as those in the Erinmore line, though, there is nothing wrong with living in the past.

Regards,

A. Morley Jaques

P-lip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
P-lip (5)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

I smoked my first tin of E/M 25 years ago. It is an old friend that I allways go back to. Available most places & well priced E/M has endured for many years, On opening the tin one is greated with the lovely & unique aroma of Apricot, Honey & just a hint of anise. No pineapple or juicy fruit. On lighting up you can taste & smell the aroma of Apricot & honey with the virginia comeing through nicely midbowl to finnish. The room note is very pleasent with Apricot & honey giveing a lovely old world charm, that is very favorably commented on. This is a tobacco that is unique & satisfying with a decent nicotine kick as well. There is none other like it. It will reward those who smoke it slowly & with respect. It will punish those who do not with tongue bite & a taste not unlike smoking an old mat. Yes it needs a few relights & tamps to give its best, but do give it a try & go in with no preconceptions or expectations, i'm sure you will be surprised just how good it is. Sad to say that in recent months in Australia, the latest version of this gem is no longer made by Murrays in Northern Ireland. But is made for Murrays in the EU. The new version has a more subdued Aroma & flavor, it is missing the anise flavor or something. Also the tobacco is more twiggy & not up to the standard of murrays old product. I am now feverishly running around buying all the remaining Erinmore Flake that I am also fond of, that I can, as it is still the old product made by Murrays

mel51us Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mel51us (47)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This past Saturday, I went into a new B&M and found one tin of Erinmore Mixture. This was to be my first foray into the world of the tin. Upon opening the tin, my first impression was " damn, I spent $8.50 for this?" I loaded a pipe with it nevertheless, and was greeted with a strange flavor. I smoked the bowl and decided I would finish the tin, but would not buy more. Today, I opened the tin and let it air for about an hour and a half. Then I loaded a pipe, and WOW, what a difference. This turned out to be a very good smoke. The flavor of the tobacco was not hidden by the casing. My pipe stayed cool. I smoked the entire bowl, and was ready for another. My recommendation for Erinmore Mixture? If you have some that you tried and do not like, send it this way. I have several pipes that I can use to dispose of it properly.

Very Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Very Pleasant

Yuk! It almost ruined my pipe. Avoid this along with DaVinci, Liberty,and Sam Malloy.Unless you like to smoke Hai Karate in your pipe,steer clear of this blend!!!!!!!!!1

pipeinlefthand Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipeinlefthand (4)
Medium Strong Overwhelming Pleasant to Tolerable

It is known around the world that that the Irish have a great sense of humour. What is perhaps misunderstood is the nature of that humour. As an outsider, you are never sure when an Irishman is putting you on. Not anything malicious, just something to keep you on your toes. For instance, a major English contractor was accepting tenders on a contract to build a tunnel under the English Channel. Among the many serious bids was found a handwritten note from Murphy and Son, Belfast, which read "one hundred pounds". When the officials in charge of the project asked how Murphy expected to build a tunnel under the English Channel for one hundered pounds, he told them "Well, you've got me on one side, see, with a shovel, and you've got me son on the other side, see, and him with a shovel, and we start to dig, see, and that's how we do it." Intrigued, one official asked Murphy what would happen if they didn't happen to meet in the middle. "Well," said Murphy, bursting with pride, "then you'd get two tunnels for the price of one!"

We can thank the Irish for that little bit of a joke, but it pales in comparison to the that greatest of all Irish jokes, Erinmore Mixture. It's a great set up. That bit about the world's premier tobacco growing regions, two monks or something who covet the "formula", and - this is the kicker - the pineapple! C'mon, nothing's funnier than a pineapple! Does it taste like pineapple? Is it only used as an outmoded symbol of quality? Is it actually a grenade? I haven't even loaded the bowl and this stuff is already hilarious!

The pouch aroma certainly suggests comedy. Comedy, or the perfume on the forty-seven year old biddy who tried to pick you up the local pub the night before. It's not a bad smell, maybe not one you would have sought out, but not entirely bad. I was given a pouch by a friend who bought it on the advice of another friend (you know how jokes go around), so it had already been opened, and did not seem goopy. As of this writing, uh, telling it feels pretty dry.

Upon lighting, the joke turns rather crude and therefore you may not want to tell it to your better pipes, but save it for those simple working stiffs known as "corncobs", or other such disposable rubbish. At first the punchline shocked me very much. It had fruity overtones that no Christian man should enjoy, and was cruder than I had expected. I suppose a real man can handle it's harshness, but ladies may take issue.

The thing is, it's become some sort of guilty pleasure, telling this joke. I mean, I don't go around telling it every day, as that would get very tiresome indeed. I sometimes get to where I have forgotten it completely, but then, sooner or later it comes lurking around the corner of my memory/humidor, and I once again marvel at it's strange composition. It's not Shakespear. It's not even Dickens. It's more like one of those filthy 8-tracks of truck driver humour. And I laugh. Then I LAUGH! It reminds me of the time at dinner when my grandfather dropped his Players Navy Cut cigarette in the fruit cocktail! Then I cough. I cough on the joke's harsher points and try to put it out of my head completely. But alas! It's no use because at some point, while fumbling through my tobaccos it will come to me again and I will be powerless to stop it. Then, someday it will leave my mind completely, and only the strong essense of it's memory will linger on, year after year. Until then, every time I fall under the spell of it's mirth I will remember, no matter how hard I convulse at it's absurdity, somewhere, two Irishmen who share a secret are laughing harder than me.

CowGirl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CowGirl (1)
Medium Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Erinmore mixture... pipe tobacco.. or is it? here's what i did with it after several failed attempts at smoking it with a pipe (yeah several times.. being stubborn not so good sometimes)

while its aroma pleasant before you light it, once you do start smoking... well.. lets say it simple; after a pipefull smoking you start to feel a huge lump at your throat.. as if you are trying to swallow a pice of not well chewed bread.. ah! and let me say that lump stays there for a long time! generally after an hour or so you hear it finds its way to the bottom of your stomach with a thud! no matter what you do the result is always same. (actually this was the question i couldn't come up with an answer. while the flake version is smooth with your throat how come mixture is so... well i can't find words enough to describe its effects on a girl's respiratory&digestive system!)

first i was reluctant to keep it or empty the tin into trash and save the box for other purposes (i even thought about opening the cover and using it as a room fragrance! anyways it smells nice.. i like appricot :) -no i'm not blonde but the erinmore mixture is!- :P)

so here it was sleeping in its yellow coffin god knows for how long. and one day.. -why all good fairy tales starts with "one day"??- :) okay okay i will tell you what i did to "good" old Erinmore after the commercial break!

here we are; first get a pouch of rolling tobacco (in this example i experimented with; golden virginia, derum halfzware shag, drum milde shag, samson milde shag and van nelle halfzware shag)

second get a MYO machine (i used a simple one)

third get a tin of erinmore mixture (no no don't buy it if you don't have it. just incase you don't like the final result i don't want to hear all those swearing :))) instead get a blonde girlfriend who has it already :P

and finally get empty cigarette tubes (used Premiere brand)

now what you do is simple (recipie for one tube) take a pinch from erinmore mixture and same amount of your fav. rolling tobacco (IMHO with this example golden virginia gives the best result. actually one of my suspicions was; they may be using virginia type rolling tobacco leaves instead of virginia pipe tobacco during the production of this.. this.. uh.. what this was??.. aha yeah.. this blondie :))) ah okay where i was? we got a pinch of rolling tobacco..now we will mix these two. make the rolling tobacco into pieces and evenly blend it with erinmore mixture. then fill your injector with it, place the empty tube, do the injection, adjust your MYO cigarette, find a matchbox or a lighter, light it.. then we will talk :)

can you believe!? erinmore mixture blended with golden virginia R.tobacco tastes like *marlboro 100's appricot flavoured cigarettes!!!! (if you haven't tried before they sell it at duty free shops in yellow soft packs with a pineapple logo printed on! :P :P :P joking aside i really recommend you to give it a try! you won't regret if you are a cigarette smoker.

and about rating this product.. hmm.. -1- if it's a pipe tobacco but -10- if it's a blender for RYO tobaccos. but here we are talking about pipe tobaccos so it's 1

*(i'm from Turkey and Marlboros here are all turkish made "virginia-turkish tobacco blend" so the taste i'm talking about is this semi strong smooth smoke. not sure about other countries' M. productions though i tried bulgarian version marlboro and it tastes like.. ARGH!)

Mild to Medium Strong Medium Tolerable

The flavour is, of course, the same as the flake version: if there it was tolerable, here is truly overwhelming! With little chance of tasting any tobacco flavour, I expected a good burning as the flake, but that has been another disappontment: though having dried it, it's difficult to light it and to keep it lit.

Next time I'll fell the need of a fruit juice I'll go to a bar instead, and pay a fraction of the price.

prinakis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
prinakis (13)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

You can try it..but...what was the name of this one?

donk93953 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
donk93953 (18)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I want to like this...heck Im Scotch-Irish...and Ive tried it and tried it and I'll probably try it again...but I just dont get it. It lights with great difficulty, it burns poorly, the taste, well its unique and not to my liking, and , ok , I'll think of something nice to say..I like the tin and the tobacco smells great when you open the tin......

preppypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
preppypipe (57)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend like "Royal Yacht" seems to bring out the worst in people.The reviews for each are surprisingly similar.While Erinmore's not something that I'd wish to smoke daily,it works when one needs a crowd pleaser for social gatherings.It's also similar to "Blue Note" in it's own way... A decent aromatic all and all.... prep

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Unnoticeable

I don?t see why this tobacco has such staying power. I?ve heard all the bad about Erinmore Flake, so I?ve decided not to venture that route. This is a routine mouthful of soapy smoke with a flat aroma and absolutely no charm, polish or refinement. I would?ve even welcomed a bit of pineapple, as indicated on the can. I haven?t tried Peterson blends, though I?ve heard those are flat as well. Perhaps the Irish ought to stick to poetry, music and literature and leave tobaccos to their Scottish and English neighbors. This tobacco livens up a bit with a bit of Latakia thrown in, but why bother?

One of five stars

Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild Tolerable

This tobacco has a unique reputation (together with Royal Yacht) among pipesmokers. It is often referred to as the worst thing one could smoke, a pipe-ruining disgrace, a foul-tasting mixture. This may well be an exaggeration, as there are worse tobaccos on the market (well, not many, but there are). Which doesn't mean it is good, but at least it has some redeeming qualities: none of them makes Erinmore a blend I would buy again in my life (hey, I had to try for myself, but one tin was enough and will last me for some months), but at least should make things clear once and forever. The flavoring and contents of this tobacco are a mystery: one can only suppose it contains a good dose of Virginia, but as with all Erinmore products the question is "how can they give it this weird flavoring?". Yes, the flavoring is off-beat indeed: pineapple everybody says, and pineapple-bergamot it truly smells upon opening the tin and sniffing the very fine-cut blend. I don't know if they really add pineapple or citrus essence, or if it is a result of some strange natural processing of the tobacco: fact is that ANY tobacco flavor is lost, and it smells of something I would rather drink than smoke. Anyway, if I were in aromatic mood, I'd REALLY like something that would taste in the smoke like the smell that I get from the unburnt tobacco... the trouble, for me, is that the smoke only has a hint of that pineapple flavoring, turning instead towards something less pleasant! The smoke is rather fresh, but also quite harsh and strong: the overall flavor swings slightly between sweetish and citrus-like tones, reminding me more of perfumed soap and flowers than of pineapple. It is the same taste that I seem to get in stuff like Dunhill's Ready Rubbed, but much stronger and harsher. The tobacco burns fine thanks to the fine cut and perfect moisture level, and doesn't get too hot: it doesn't even seem to be too aggressive on my tongue. I usually smoke this in a corncob: its taste is slightly better, I don't risk having a pipe infested with its taste (which is said to be permanent...), and it is a quick and short smoke that I can finish without getting bored. As I said, there are some worse tobaccos out there: Erinomre doesn't suit my taste (I consider it more "unsatisfactory" than "bad"), and in my opinion is actually rather bad, but it is so weird and different that anyone should try it at least a couple of time to judge for himself.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Mild to Medium Very Strong Overwhelming Tolerable

Once again, I have delved into the realm of tobacco self-abuse. I have read and heard so much negative commentary on this concoction that I simply had to try it for myself.

First of all, I would like to thank each of you who suggested smoking this in a pipe you don't mind ruining. I used a cob based upon these warnings. I no longer own said pipe.

I hate to write an entirely negative review, so I will say this : The tin is very round and well-made, painted in a nice shade of yellow. The pineapple is artfully rendered.

If I had been smart, I would have never gotten any further. Oops. Upon opening the tin I was assaulted by the fruity 'aroma'. Ater it aired out a bit I checked again. Still smells like Tootie-Fuity, no trace of tobacco aroma. I checked the tin. Yes, it says there is supposed to be tobacco in here.

I loaded up the cob and fired it up. The charring light brought forth the overwhelming flavor of the casing. Some say it isn't pineapple, and it may not be - but it resembles pineapple to me.

I continued on, relighting a few times. A word of caution, as if any more is needed : When it goes out, relight right away! The longer you wait, the more acrid the relight will be.

I held on to the hope that towards the end the casing would go away and I might get a taste of the tobacco, but this was not to be. The casing maintained it's grip throughout. Very monochromatic and one-dimensional.

There was a bit of wet dottle left at the end, but this could be because I had promised myself that I would smoke the entire bowl - I probably rushed it a bit just to get it over with!

I let the tin sit for a few months and and tried it again. The experience was the same. Both tin and pipe now reside in a landfill. I just hope the EPA doesn't find out who is responsible for its presence there.

Ratcat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ratcat (30)
Mild Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

When people dive into the world of aromatics, they meant vanilla, cream, coco...etc. Kind of boring if you ask me. Then there are apple, cherries, whiskeys....etc. If I want to smoke aromatic, I would occasionally get something with a surprise. This one can give me that element of 'damn what the hell is going on???' That is said with a pleasnt feeling in mind. It flavor is rich and friuty, not too sweet and way in the back ground a hint of spice. It is a very dynmaically rich tobacco for aromatics. Different flavors peaks at different burning temparture. And the room note is very nice too. It reminds me of a summer fruit garden. But the kind of smart thnig about it is you can't really tell what kind of friut it is. It is definitely NOT pinapple(banana rings a bell guys?). This kind of fruitiness is a nice change of pace from the expected. It is a fun tobacco. It is witty and light hearted. In a way, it is comically entertaining. We smoke to enjoy and smoking this blend is very enjoyable. I am definitly entertained.

batfastard123 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
batfastard123 (10)
Mild to Medium Very Strong Extra Full Tolerable

I'm going out on a limb all by myself here and say I like this tobacco, taken for what it is, it's not half bad. This is just a novelty or fun blend, a change of pace not to be taken seriously or used as an all day smoke. In that context it is alright. If you cannot, however see it as such, don't try it, you will be disappointed. The smell in the tin is very strong and sweet, the tobbaco appears to be of high qualiy, it lights well and burns down to a fine gray-white ash. The taste is very sweet and kind of perfumy, somewhat fruity, but not quite distinguishable. If you have a sweet tooth this tobacco will surely satisfy it. One note, don't smoke this in a good pipe, you will ruin it, as the taste will surely stay in it for all time. Buy a cheap corncob or hardwood and use it just for this blend.

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)
Medium to Strong Very Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

I gave the erin more flake a 2 star rating. You would think hmmmmm? I wonder why this has a 1 star rating? Thats because this has sunken even lower than erin more flake in that this is just plain awful. When I was a younger pipe smoker I used to occasionally smoke the flake. One day I went to the smoke shop and saw the mixture tin sitting there thinking this is a rubbed out version of the flake. WRONG!!!!! I have not had any worse than this, I've had a few close as bad and even close to rivaling this. I will not call this a spawn of satan in fear he will get mad at me, be highly offended and try to retaliate!

Mephisto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mephisto (32)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

Good aroma but just not my kind of thing I did not find it to behave very well and not worth the effort. I say if you go for erinmore go for the flake and get more out of it. Over all not bad but not my first choice.

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (87)
Strong Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Not that I really need to put in my two cents, but for the record, this is the only tobacco I have ever thrown away. Here's to hoping the two persons who know the "secret formula" to this blend do the right thing and keep quiet.

Bluebottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluebottle (18)
Very Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Having read the other reviews I thought, I MUST try this stuff. I have an insatiable sweet tooth.

I ripped open the little 25g pouch a bought at my local tobacconists for a few quid - inhaled - and pronounced all preceeding reviews of this tobacco completely wrong.

IT'S LIQUORICE!!!! My god, this will be like smoking roofing felt I thought... I sparked up a bowl and realised that they obviously just spray that into the bag and seal it.

This has very little taste, a SLIGHT aroma of fruit, but that's to be expected from a Cavendish. You can hardly taste the Virginia but then after about threee minutes without a puff that liquorice and rotting cherry casing creeps into the back of you throat and you realise the damn stuff has some form of flavour, but it's so cut down that you have to really look for it!

I reckon it has to be smoked in a larger bowl pipe than I own, since it does burn a bit wet meaning you waste about a quarter of the bowl as it becomes a mushy pulp of dottle.

Gae Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gae (46)
Strong Strong Very Full Strong

Every few years I give this another try,as I much prefer the Flake version myself. Very aged tin 5 stars. Aged tin 4 stars. New tin 1 star.

Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable to Strong

It is a good thing that the recipe for Erinmore Mixture is a closely guarded secret. IMO it should stay that way.

I have tried to smoke this tobacco a number of times, but for some reason it just doesn?t agree with me. It is not that I find it strong, nor harsh, nor potent. Rather I find it too ?in-betweenish?, i.e., without being mild, it does not have enough body or structure; without being entirely sweet, it can become cloying and dull. The perfumed aroma, both in the tin and in the smoke, is as strange and indefinable as the one in University Flake or as Grousemoore: sour/sweet and, IMO, enervating.

I have never gotten a clear cut tobacco taste from this one, it is more like smoking some form of diluted cherry and flowers essence. I know this is considered to be a classic, and that many popular smokers (James Galway for one) consider it a must, but it just doesn?t work for me.

360KiloCat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
360KiloCat (12)
Mild Extra Strong Overwhelming Overwhelming

Once at a market forlorn, while I wandered tired and worn Over many a stall laden with clothing ripped and torn While I looked for a hole for crapping, suddenly a yellow tin came tapping As of someone harshly swearing, wishing he were never born 'Tis evil weed," I muttered, "worth a kopek and no more." Only this was Erinmore.

Ah, distinctly I remember that bleak day in November When to the market I did go for a new lock for my door Eagerly I wished it were a day, when at my desk I could stay Writing marketing plans and smoking - my meerschaum coloring evermore But not the yellow tin of feces that Osama named Erinmore Nameless should be Erinmore

And the abrasive, hacking coughing after each acrid puff Nearly killed me - stained my tongue with colors never seen before So that now, to still the burning of my throat, my teapot was churning. I'd drink Drano before I smoke this Erinmore Boiling Drano before I smoke Erinmore I shall dump this Erinmore

Presently my cough grew stronger, and I could suffer no longer "Murray's," said I, 'or distributor, truly my lawyer I'll implore But the fact is I was crapping, and so harshly you came rapping And you better never ever darken my cabinet door Scarce I am sure I will make you, as I throw you from the balcony door In the road stood Erinmore

Deep into that road the policeman was peering, while my heart trembled from fearing Knowing I had disposed of something so noxious to abhor And the silence was soon broken, and the fine was not a token The policeman screamed, and an echo murmured "You can't dispose of Erinmore!" A fine for littering and nothing more.

B.S Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
B.S (6)
Medium to Strong Very Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Dad always said this was his favorite and after trying it I question whether or not I was his son. The tin aroma is quite pleasant with a distinct smell of pineapple, flowers, and juicy fruit gum. Then you light up! This is when things went down hill. I was immediatley overhelmed with pineapple and juicy fruit and had a sudden urge to cut out my tongue.. My best advice to those who have not tried this yet is Do Not smoke this in a pipe that you don't mind throwing away because it will stay in there foreverrrrrrrrr.

ruggiero Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruggiero (19)
Very Mild Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

By far, the worst tobacco I have ever had. How this brand has managed to stay around this long is really remarkable. "Taste" is very subjective, of course, but how someone can enjoy this bad-boy is beyond my imagination. The "citrusy-pineapple" casing is a pipe killer and responsible for leaving with a terrible aftertaste that puts Listerine to the test. What else can I say?

Highstump Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Highstump (6)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

No pipe should ever be subjected to this vile concoction! Notice the pineapple on the tin? It is there for a reason. Other than that, I can't even begin to describe the taste. I tried this tobacco a few months ago and umpteen bowls of latakia blends later I can still taste this stuff!

If you are ever tempted to put a match to this in any pipe you have, just remember: "danger Will Robinson, danger, danger..."

Sceny Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sceny (66)
Mild Extra Strong Overwhelming Strong

After all of the interesting comments I've heard about this tobacco, I just had to try it myself. Pineapple, they said, and pineapple it is! Even I with my unrefined palate, found the casing's flavor obvious. Actually, I think most pets, large appliances, and intelligent trees would find it obvious as well. Though in a small sample bag (no, I wasn't about to buy a tin of this), the smell is very obviously pineapple; I can't even sense the tobacco itself. It appears to be mostly medium brown in color, with some lighter and darker browns as well. The cut is medium to long, making packing a bit tricky, and the moisture level was about average. I don't think I'll bother dividing this review up into thirds - the tobacco was practically identical all the way through. The single, overwhelming taste was sweetness and pineapple, right down to the bottom. I'm not kidding; the casing is the most tenacious I've ever seen! The only change in flavor occurred about halfway through, when a spicy taste almost like Perique was added. Still, I found myself asking the question: Did they use any tobacco in this?? If so, I certainly couldn't find it. It did burn well, with only a little moisture at the bottom and no bite at all, but really - spicy pineapple? The smoke even leaves a sour taste in your mouth, just like the real fruit. The room odor isn't bad, if you like pineapple, but can you say ONE-DIMENSIONAL TASTE? If you want to try this, don't do it in a pipe you don't plan to use for anything else; this stuff is here to STAY. Overall, if you want pineapple-flavored something in your pipe, this is absolutely the "tobacco" for you. You may find, however, that one bowl will set you up for the next year or so.

trevert Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
trevert (32)
Mild to Medium None Detected Very Mild Very Pleasant

I was really, really tempted to give this concoction a 0 star rating, but the fact that it burns evenly and at least works like a tobacco should gives it some redeeming value. That said, I really think it's god-awful. The flavor is best described as cramming a pineapple and a chunk of fruitcake into your blender, setting it to liquefy, and then pressing the output into little chunks. Once you smoke this in your pipe, it will NEVER let go - be warned, If you have a pipe to spare and don't mind fruity tobaccos, you might well love it... as for me, I'm slipping the remains of my tin into someone's pocket at the next CORPS show.