A handmade speciality with a unique character. Latakia, Kentucky and perique are spun and perfected in a baking procedure.

Notes:

ContentsKentucky, Latakia, Perique
CutRope
Packaging100 grams pouch
Strength
Taste
Very Full
Strong
DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (257)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

I chose Black Twist over Night Twist to sample first (which is exactly the same as this one, but with Burley instead of Kentucky), because I love me Kentucky.

Opening the sample baggie I was pleasantly surprised. I think its cyprian, not syrian Latakia, that takes good share of the scent and is extended by Kentucky & Perique. The scent is smoky, woodsy, earthy and sour. Almost as if there was Oriental in it, but I guess the mixture of Lat. KY and Perique (no Virginias!!) creates this genuine aroma. Even tho strong in the Latakia department, the scent intrigued me, as the Kentucky also takes its place in the unsmoked aroma.

Night-black, with few medium, almost dark brown inclusions this is spun by hand and baked. Lovely look!

A bold melange of Latakia and Kentucky that's underscored by some Perique. Latakia and Kentucky harmonizes really well and the Kentucky "flattens" the distinctive aroma of the Latakia by adding very earthy, little nutty and decently woodsy dimensions to the smooth and smoky Latakia. The Perique contributes a gentle an pleasant sourness. There is only very little sweetness and a minor sour-fruity aroma in this very tangy, bold and hearty blend.

Latakia and Kentucky take a similar share of the flavor-profile and result in a very digestible, inobtrusive "English-styled" smoke. Very tasteful and bold. Black Twist has some power and its rated 3,5 out of 5 points in strenght by Motzek, on which I'll agree. It has some "oomph", but not in a overwhelming way if you like a strong(er) smoke.

I think this will appeal to both the lover of English blends who looks fora bld speciality, as well as Kentucky lovers, who like a unique spice in their smoke by times and even tho I'm not too experienced with Latakia blends I'd estimate this to be a top-notch smoke due to its unique and refined flavors.

Not an All-Day-Smoke, but a nice treat for after dinner! It doesn't let me scream in joy, but quite tasty and something I'd smoke again!

Purchased From: http://dein-tabak.de/index.php (Motzek)

Similar Blends: Motzek - Night Twist.