A handmade speciality with a unique character. Latakia, Kentucky and perique are spun and perfected in a baking procedure.

Notes:

ContentsKentucky, Latakia, Perique
CutRope
Packaging100 grams pouch
Strength
Taste
Very Full
Tolerable to Strong
DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (175)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Again - I'm no english smoker and if I smoke them I prefer those that are not too strong in the Latakia department. Yet I was curious to try Motzeks first Latakia Twist (which got folllowed by a second one "Night Twist") when it was released this month (09/17) so I ordered a sample of it with my last order.

I chose Black Twist over Night Twist (which is exactly the same as this one, but with Burley instead of Kentucky), because I love Kentucky.

Opening the sample baggie I was pleasantly surprised. I think its cyprian, not syrian Latakia (I prefer syrian tho) that takes good share of the scent and is extended by Kentucky & Perique. The scent is smoky, woodsy, earthy and sour. Almost as if there was Oriental in it, but I guess the mixture of Lat. KY and Perique (no Virginias!!) creates this genuine aroma. Even tho strong in the Latakia department, the scent intrigued me, as the Kentucky also takes its place in the unsmoked aroma.

Night-black, with few medium, almost dark brown inclusions this is spun by hand and baked. Lovely look!

Today I was in the mood for some Latakia (which happens every 1-2 weeks) and packed a claypipeful of it. A bold melange of Latakia and Kentucky that's underscored by some Perique. Latakia and Kentucky harmonizes really well and the Kentucky "flattens" the distinctive aroma of the Latakia by adding very earthy, little nutty and decently woodsy dimensions to the smooth and smoky Latakia. The Perique contributes a gentle an pleasant sourness. There is only very little sweetness and a minor sour-fruity aroma in this very tangy, bold and hearty blend.

Latakia and Kentucky take a similar share of the flavor-profile and result in a very digestible, inobtrusive "English-styled" smoke, that even me - as one who prefers blends with little Latakia in it - found enjoyable. Very tasteful and bold. Black Twist has some power and its rated 3,5 out of 5 points in strenght by Motzek, on which I'll agree. It has some "oomph", but not in a overwhelming way if you like a strong(er) smoke.

I think this will appeal to both the lover of English blends as well as Kentucky lovers, who like a unique spice in their smoke by times and even tho I'm not too experienced with Latakia blends I'd estimate this to be a top-notch smoke due to its unique and refined flavors.

I'll get a 100g twist of it (19€) by times so I have a neat little addition to my small stack of english blends for the times my "very british mood" comes up. ;-)

I'm excited to hear the opinion of experienced English-/Latakia-smokers on this and so I highly recommend it to any of the named smokers above.

Pipe Used: Clay Pipe

Purchased From: http://dein-tabak.de/index.php (Motzek)