Notes: A house blend at Havana-Magasinet, a tobacconist in Stavanger, Norway. The contents of the blend, as shown here, are confirmed with the blender. The blend consists of mainly Virginias and Black Cavendish, with a little Latakia and Perique added. The origin and manufacture details of the blending tobacco used are unknown.

BrandHavana-Magasinet
Tolerable to Strong
Gordon Tavistock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gordon Tavistock (9)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

Husets spesial – "The House's Speciality"

[I have to mention that my appreciation of this blend is most likely coloured by the fact that this was the very first blend I tasted that containef Latakia, and I fell in love with it. I smoked it a lot when I was new to pipe smoking, before I had tried much else. It still feels like reuniting with an old friend whenever I open the jar again, and that may colour my overall very good review of this blend. I am afraid that a too close scrutiny of the blend would take away the uncomplicated joy of returning to it from time to time.]

Sweet and mellow, as one might expect from a predominantly VA / Black Cavendish type of blend, this one is more of an Aromatic-English crossover blend. With it's pinch of Latakia and Perique (I can really only detect the former), this blend offers a gentle amount of that savoury, smokey and woody incence of Latakia, without losing the sweetness of an aromatic blend. It is not complex in any way, and in this case that's a purely positive description. This is not a smoke for when you want to chase flavours and subtle notes, but it's nice for when you just want some uncomplicated tobaccoy comfort. Would be a good first encounter with Latakia if you have only smoked aromatics up until now. The toppings I can't detect, although I am sure they do their work. Then again I have always smoked this as a non-brain comfort baccy instead of as a taste experiment.

This is not my favourite blend at any rate, but sometimes – especially on cool evenings outdoor – it can be a real treat and I try to pick up some when I visit my home city, Stavanger.

It is not bite free, but if you smoke at moderate pace you should do just fine.

I is worth picking up if you find yourself in Stavanger and want to visit the local tobacconist. If you're not Norwegian, I don't see any point in buying any other tins or bulk tobacco while you're there, as tobacco prices are insane in Norway and there are no brands that you can't get hold of in any other European country. I would therefore recommend you to ask for their only house blend, "Husets spesial"!

[Extra info: Havana-Magasinet is Norway's oldest traditional tobacconist, and one of only three real tobacco shops in the whole country! The shop itself is in no way impressive compared to tobacconists one can find in other countries, but it deserves some credit and an occasional purchase for still sticking around despite changing times tightening tobacco legislations.]

Pipe Used: Various briars and corn cobs