An extraordinary blend of the finest Burley and carefully selected light golden Virginia tobaccos. By adding an aroma according to an old recipe containing Jamaica rum and other secret ingredients, a spicy blend is created. By cutting the pressed Cavendish cross-wise, the characteristic cubes are formed. These cubes guarantee an easy fill and even burning pipe. Pressed blend composed mainly of Burley and dark-fired tobaccos with some Virginia leaf.

Notes: Formerly Larus Bros (1903)

BrandEdgeworth
Strength
Taste

3.2
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I've smoked some of the mid-1970s version, some from the 1990s, and some from the 2000s, and the flavor was consistent through those time periods. The burley provided nuttiness and molasses with cocoa notes. Burned very well and smooth, and made the hot cup of tea I drank while smoking it so very pleasing. I sure hope somebody brings this back!

Now that I can compare this to the Edgeworth Ready Rubbed Match from Sutliff, I realize the Match is very close to the original. The original has a little fuller, deeper taste, and has more cubes than tobacco flecks, but those are the only differences I could spot. It'll sure do you if you miss the original.

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (100)

I was never a regular ERR smoker during the overlap between me smoking pipes and it being in production. The first time I tried it was in a cob that I picked up alongside a dried out pouch of ERR while traveling for work. I vaguely remember that it tasted kind of coarse. I only smoked a few bowls from that pouch before either forgetting or abandoning it in a hotel room or rental car. It wasn’t memorable.

Fast forward about a decade and ERR was out of production (July, 2008 is, I believe the “official” date of its demise). Its disappearance roughly coincided with my discovery of the wonderful Burleys blended at Cornell & Diehl by OTC scholar Bob Runowski. I began to read some of Runowski’s reviews and really enjoyed his commentaries on a wide variety of 20th century American blends. In his comments, he regularly revealed his special affection for one particular tobacco: Edgeworth Ready Rubbed. If the blender of Epiphany and Old Joe Krantz thought it was so good, then I vowed to pick up a tub (not a pouch) if I ever came across it again. And so I did. Several tubs.

When ERR is working for me, I think it’s a truly outstanding blend. The brown chunks in the tub offer a beautiful aroma of cocoa, bread pudding, molasses, and perhaps a hint of dark rum. The cut is chunky and uneven and I often rub it out a little because it can be a little difficult to light otherwise. Once it’s going, ERR is a simple, clean smoke. It’s not complex—just a lightly sweet, nicotine-rich experience with flavors of black tea, toast, molasses, and a hint of chocolate.

Early on, I didn’t find every bowl of ERR to be particularly fine. For some reason, every once in a while I’d get some unpleasant, sour flavors and I’d think the batch had begun to decline. But the next bowl would be great again. It was probably ghosts or mood or I don’t know what. Nowadays, I smoke my ERR exclusively in a batch of old Grabows—the prince and author shapes especially—and I find it consistently wonderful.

I don’t want it to seem like I think ERR is the greatest thing that ever has been or ever will be produced. I sometimes feel like punching the pipe gurus who like to wax rhapsodic about the lost blends that I’ll never smoke, and I don’t want to get punched. ERR is a wonderful OTC, but so is Sir Walter Raleigh (a blend with some similarity to ERR). So is Kentucky Club Continental Blend, a Burley quite different from ERR, but equally enjoyable for me. So are some of the excellent Burleys from traditional shops like Peretti’s, Uhle’s, and Iwan Ries.

It’s sad that ERR now sings the out-of-production blues. It’s only been gone for 5 years but the madness has already set in. Rarity can make praise disproportionate to quality. Prices for sealed tins are hitting three digits. Copies or “match” tobaccos are now in production. I hope it comes back on the market, because it’s a wonderful, simple tobacco. Cross your fingers.

morleysson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
morleysson (23)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Notes: Edgeworth ReadyRubbed was one of my first tobaccos starting about 1967. Both the RRd and the Sliced, as well as Union Jack, were staples of my grandfather's smoking repertoire until his death. So, I was familiar with the blend and the great room aroma. But, I was unprepared for the smoking qualities. Sold then in a blue foil pouch for about $0.22/pouch, it was unimpressive, right? just another drugstore tobacco? Wrong then, wrong now! On opening the can, (and it really is best in the can not the plastic pouch), the first aromatic sensations are warm earth and chocolate and coffee and bread baking. A great burley aroma fills the room and you just want to sniff and sniff. Moist but not wet to the touch, it packs well in any pipe but seems to smoke better in a medium to large biliard bowl. Usually two or three charring lights are needed. The first puffs may seem tangy to the palate but the smoke smoothes out quickly and a pleasant flavor, actually a series of flavors, emerges. The room aroma is solid, obvious w/o being unpleasant, lingering like good tobacco should. It burns clean and dry with a gray white ash to the bottom of the bowl.

I have thoroughly enjoyed Edgeworth RRd for these past 34 years, sometimes though for a month or so being enamoured with another, almost forgetting the joys of its smokiing qualities, but never straying so far to be unable to return.

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (81)

Every time a blend is discontinued, no matter how good or bad, it achieves legendary status. People will sing praises and write poetry about a blend that is lost, just like people actually appreciate an artist's work after he is dead.

If you are reading these reviews to determine whether or not you should spend the 25+ dollars on ebay to get a pouch of ERR then I advise you to save your money. ERR is NOT the holy grail of pipe tobacco people will lead you to believe. The same goes to Balkan Sobranie (both original and current incarnation)

ERR is a good tasty smoke, so I will give it 3 start because it is a good smoke, not because it was discontinued.

ERR is very similar to Sir Walter regular but a little sweeter, with a touch more of the cocoa flavor burleys tend to exhibit.

If ERR was your all time favorite blend and you want to hoard every pouch or tin you can find, then by all means do so. If you have never tried it and want to smoke it because people told you you will get an orgasm in your mouth, forget it. Great blend but not worth 25 bucks a pouch.

There are plenty of fish in the ocean, try them instead.

Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

My first question after smoking a bowl of this magnificent blend is "who was the genius that decided to drop this from the line up?" This person should be in a line-up as this is one fine blend. I have not reviewed this one as I had not smoked it for years, since back when I did not do reviews as it was pre internet. This one needs to come back and put in fine tobacco stores and internet venders. It will sell in this age of learned pipe smokers!

Any way, rant over but I must say, this blend is the King of Burley OTC's, it is just flat good, does not bite at all, the cube cut which I normally find hard to lite and keep lit, was easy to light and it stayed lit well, burning down to a nice fluffy greay ash in the bottom of my pipe. Very little if any dottle. Why I did not smoke this while I could will be a regret I will walk around with for a long time. This blend smokes smooth, really smooth, creamy and with a nutty good flavor that just made me smile. I smoked three bowls back to back and was ready for more. This was gifted to me to review, so came in a baggie from a tub. It is all a rich medium brown leaf, cube cut but aith vsome moisture to it from being pressed, and not dry like a lot of cube cuts. One must like burley and I do, and if so this will satisfy. It has a very nice room note that reflects a touch of rum though I do not taste it. It has some Vit N but will not make your head spin. Great with a cup of coffee. If this were still available I would buy tubs of the stuff! It's that good. I am grateful to have had the chance to try it again and I now clearly understand why so many mourn it's loss. Highly recommended!

woodsman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
woodsman (4)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

ERB is a really great tobacco. It has a fine aroma and taste. It is a tobacco to work or relax with. I bought my first pouch in 1965 and have enjoyed it ever since. Since I live in Canada it has always been hard to get and the bad news is that now it is no longer produced. I am on my last tin with no hope of another once I finish it. What is this world coming to? Does anybody know if it will ever be produced again? Please offer some hope for a great tobacco.

Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

If this review was a horse race, then Edgeworth Ready Rubbed would be in a photo finish for first with Carter Hall regarding my "drug store" tobacco preferences.

ERR is a cubed Burley that also contains a smidgen of Virginia. Due to the cut it is a slower burner than Carter Hall or most other ribbon or broad cut Burley tobacco blends. The taste is all tobacco, but with a subtle sweetness that doesn't go away as the leaf is consumed.

I particularly liked the nicotine hit and the no bite quality of the smoke. The room note is very pleasant with a lightness that does not linger.

So, if you like:

an easy to pack Burley with a hint of Virginia...

a nicotine punch...

a cool burn...

is just a tad on the sweet side...

try Edgeworth Ready Rubbed.

A little harsh and tastes sort of sweetish in a medicinal manner. Burns well and a good smoke volume. A little bitey, but I was smoking to quickly at one point. Sort of a sweet dirt like flavor and a fiber cereal burning aroma. Not totally bad, but definitely different, odd.

chgo.piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chgo.piper (37)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant

In the name of God and everything holy, would someone please start producing this wonderful weed again... Just as it was, of course.

furious Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
furious (29)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I was lucky enough to procure a sealed 14-ounce tin from that auction site and was pleasantly surprised at the marvelous condition of its contents after over 60 years. The vacuum seal was still intact and the whoosh sound was evident when I proceeded to remove the rusted key from the bottom of the tin. Once opened, I was greeted with a sight of medium brown burley goodness and an aroma that words cannot adequately describe. I immediately jarred the entire contents minus one pipe's worth which I smoked after lunch yesterday. So, this review is only after one pipeful of the old Larus and Bro. product circa 1950.

Having some experience with the Lane version, I expected similar flavors of nuts, molasses, and smooth burley in the Larus product. What I experienced, however, was something truly unusual. An aged Edgeworth with over 60 years in a controlled environment. When I emptied the tin's contents into a jar for long-term storage, the top inch or so was fairly dry, but the remaining tobacco was quite moist--to the point of needing a pipe tool to loosen it. I was quite surprised by this. Anyway the flavors of sweet burley and molasses were there in spades, but there was this fruity, tangy flavor present which I have never before experienced in a tobacco--esp. Edgeworth. Perhaps I was detecting the effects of its three score nap. Nevertheless, I was enamored by the subtle and complex nuances of this time tested blend. I consider myself very lucky to have the opportunity to smoke this extremely well aged leaf.

Connoisseur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Connoisseur (33)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Perhaps one of the best old US "drug store" tobaccos if I may. Ostensibly it's pure cube cut white burley which appears to have been lightly roasted. The flavour is unlike the famed Edgeworth Sliced, being a sort of light chocolately/caramelly flavour that wonderfully complements the nuttiness of the neutral burley. However, the problem with this potentially great tobacco is consistency. One tin was superb, the next poor, not even tasting the same. I'll stick with the good batch. Cool, smooth smoke with not a hit of tongue bite and none of the bitterness many burleys are renowned for when approaching the bottom of the bowl. This is one I could actually smoke all day and not tire of. Amazingly this (the good batch) is one of my top 10 best tobaccos.

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (81)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I agree with the last post about the good one's leaving. I still have a whole tin of this in my stock.

Another fine old Burley of the likes of Granger,and Kentucky Club, though I always liked Edgeworth better than the previous two. Cube cut granules that unravel almost into a ribbon cut. This is Kentucky and Tennessee Burley, with just a very little Virginia thrown in, so as not to be one dimenional. The sweetener added is most likely molases instead of true Rum. Lights easy, nutty, sweet burley billows. Creamy, chocolatey nutty mild and delicious. Please bring this one back. It's a Burley smokers go to tobacco.

azguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
azguy (18)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Why do they take the good ones away? I understand company mergers, the tobacco prices etc etc. But why take a classy, burley based, mild licorice cased wonder and let it die an ignoble death? Easy to light and smoke down to the very nice white ash. The various duplicates on the market, while well intentioned, don't hit the mark. Woe to us all.

I'm smoking a really old sample pack. It was sealed, and is a tolerable smoke when sipped. These old burlies have kind of a winey taste. Halfway through the bowl, the bite went away (I was getting roasted at first, perhaps because the tobacco is super dry) and I got some nice flavors for an (old) OTC. I don't know what it was like fresh, but I can at least tolerate this, and neat to try a classic.

The two stars are for the overly-aged pack (not tin) I smoked, and this tobacco may well have been better. (or worse, how do I know?)

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (107)

I smoked a pouch of this decades ago. The one thing I remember about it is that it was unremarkable. It was similar to Sir Walter Raleigh. It was better than PA but not as good as Carter Hall. Not recommended.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)

I don't know if it is still available. But one of the good old american classics with the Prince.

A bit darker in colour, it was a pleasure to smoke it.

LaneCenturion Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LaneCenturion (11)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Unnoticeable

My first pipe tobacco purchase, I knew nothing of anything and had nothing but my wits and a very low priced pipe, and this stuff truly excelled. Coming from a cigar background, a sweeter taste was more than welcome, and the little bit of "Jamaican rum" flavor made this delicious with any liquor or cola. Doesn't pack too much of a kick, which makes this great for...anytime! Sadly, i'm unable to find this in my area anymore.

Smoking-To-Port Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smoking-To-Port (13)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I smoked this a couple of times over the years.I liked it,but not enough to go out of my way to get.My local B&M had a couple of pouches tucked in the "look what we found while dusting basket".I bought one. I'm smoking it now.About how I remembered it was,but of course dryer.I know I will finish it all.Will remember it fondly---but with out tears.A mild rum Cavendish mixture.Good for what it is.Always preferred the Slices.Now if I came across a tin of that.........

vinnie799 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vinnie799 (33)

I smoked this blend when I was a youngster following my fathers pipe path in '68. I smoked the heck out of it for a long time back then. Rencently over the past few months I came across several pouches in a little cigarette outlett at the shore here in Delaware. Needless to say I bought up all he had there knowing it was then discontinued. It felt really dry as I picked up the pouch, so much so that coerced the owner to sell it to me for half price since it was so dry. Took it home and hydrated some. Big mistake. It was then that I remembered that it always had been rather on the dry side. Hydrated, it was difficult to light. Those cubed absorbed moisture like crazy. I let 'er dry out again and Voila! Heaven. It's amazing how smells can really take you back. Edgeworth, tasting like the old days from what i can remember. The aroma and room note pleasant as ever. Smooooth! stuff and easy to light. It's a good breezy day smoke too as is all heavy cut tobaccos. I can't say if it's Larus blend or not but I'm darned sure happy. I'd love to smoke it really often but since it's not being made anymore I'm gonna smoke it when the time is right.

I must say though that I went back to the store and saw that more was on the shelf. This time playing the same game about the dryness and bought the remaind seveal pouches there. :~)!

Yeah man this is a FOUR STAR tobacco!

I recently won a sealed, 14 oz tin of ERR off of ebay. Interestingly, the item was up for bid for a week and there was only one other bidder along with myself. It started off at $28 and some change and finally I won it for $53. A bit pricey, but I hadn't smoked it in years and since it is no longer produced, wanted to try it again. There was a flurry of activity within the last half hour of the bidding, but with only 3 minutes to go, the other fellow's guns fell silent and I won.

Upon opening the tin, the tobacco had the moisture consistency of what I would normally dry a fresh tin of this sort out to before smoking. It was a combination of rough/cube cut tobacco on the darker side of brown - darker than what I remember from years ago. The tin note had a delicious, fruity smelling - bordering on rum and chocolate - presence. My daughter said the tin aroma smelled like Fig Newton's. Considering I don't know how old this tin was, the tin note was very strong and fresh smelling. Packing and lighting were a breeze. The taste reminded me of Granger, but with less accompanying harshness and no palate burn. There was, however, a chemical taste that was ever present; similar to that found in Granger, detracting from the smoking experience - each and every time. See my review of Granger under the Half & Half listing if interested (TR glitch!).

At times I felt I could taste chocolate and a bit of molasses, however, they remained very much in the background. Although burning a bit hot, there was no bite to speak of, only a tingling to lips and the tip of the tongue. There was very minimal moisture and no goopy residue at the bowl's end; just a medium to dark grey ash. I found ERR to resemble similar Mac Baren's Golden Extra with regard to mildness in taste, but with way less body than Mac's. Although I prefer a fuller-bodied Burley, ERR would have been more enjoyable if it wasn't for the chemical taste. It does ruin the experience.

From what I remember, I feel the Larus Bros. version that I used to smoke regularly was better all around, and the Lane version a poor substitute for what was once a truly fine smoke. Overall, Lane's was a sweet smoking tobacco, but too mild of a Burley for my taste. I still enjoy the Edgeworth Sliced better as I enjoy the fuller taste that Burley can provide. Lil Brown Smoke Shack (lilbrown.com) has a ERR substitute on there web site under CCC Bulk blend and listed as Ready Rubbed. I emailed them for the particulars and was told that it is a substitute for ERR produced by Altadis. Their blend description is identical to the Lane description. I have yet to try it but I will do so in the hope that it is similar enough to be enjoyed as a good substitute.

This is not the same ERR of old. 4 stars for the Larus original, but only 2.5 for Lane's version. What I spent for this tin far outweighed my enjoyment of it. All in all, OK if you enjoy a pleasant, mild Burley tobacco.

UPDATE 7-21-10: After sitting in the tin for the past few months and drying out considerably, the chemical taste has reduced to a tolerable limit. But, after having smoked more fuller bodied/tastier Burleys, ERR is no bell ringer for me. For a codger Burley, I prefer Sir Walter Raleigh Regular over this.

UPDATE 12-12-11: Chemical taste totally gone and contents dried out considerably. The chocolatey notes are very apparent. I can only now highly recommend the Lane version of ERR - too bad it's a thing of the past excepting for the occasional tin on ebay. Thankfully SWR Regular (which I enjoy more) is still readily available.

I was fortunate enough to be gifted 8 oz of this and then to find someone willing to trade a tin for some things from my cellar. It cost a fair bit but I still feel like I got the better end of the deal!

Larus created this blend to be an all-day smoke with a spicy nuttiness but not overly flavorful... a nice "set it and forget it" tobacco, with no bite and that is cool burning. They succeeded in spades. There is just enough virginia here to create some zest but the predominate flavor is the toasted oatiness of the burley. I could not make this stuff bite, although more forceful puffing did open up the bitters. Very easy on the tongue with a light but satisfying flavor. The cube cut gave me no problems with lights or relights. So far in my experimentation, this is the finest OTC burley I've found. Naturally it's no longer in production. But if you can find some, buy it. As others have said, if and when it comes back, it likely won't taste as before.

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (89)

I would review it but it aint being made anymore and when it shows up again it'll more than likely be different.I love burley and this blend rocked.I miss it . Seems like theres alot of blends leaving us lately . This was one of the great blends

aadelma Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aadelma (55)
Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of ERR. It is a cube cut which has a wonderful, natural burley aroma in the tin and when lit. The cube cut is nice for smoking outdoors as it burns slowly and stays in the pipe, but I find it more to my indoor smoking habits when rubbed out a bit. I did not detect any humectants; this stuff will dry out into a pebble-like state if left uncovered. It starts out smooth and mild with a generous volume of smoke. I found it got a bit harsh and ashy about 1/2 way down the bowl. I can see why this tobacco had a dedicated following for those wishing a very straightforward burley smoke at a low price. There are better burley tobaccos on the market nowadays than ERR, though (Haunted Bookshop, for instance). I will gift my tin to some dedicated ERR man who misses it, just send me an email.

Introibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Introibo (45)
Medium Medium Mild Pleasant

Edgeworth sits nobly in the pantheon of American greats. At the round table located in Carter Hall, presided over by Prince Albert, seated next to Sir Walter, the faithful hunting hound Granger at his heels, Lord Edgeworth is there.

The initial aroma out of the can is deceiving. Something akin to old pub floor, cat's urine and cheap white wine sitting in a jug unrefrigerated for several weaks assails the nose. However, once the flame hits, optimism is restored and we realise that this is a masterpiece of the blender's craft. The smoke has to be sipped to catch the flavour. Some call it "nutty". I would call it more like the scent of cut wood. That may just be the effect of the briar I use for it.

A good N punch, quite a lot of smoke, no bitterness 2/3 of the way down, Edgeworth just smokes and smokes. As a basic burley this one will be difficult to match, because the flavour is very subtle. I don't taste any casing, though there must be some.

The Larus brothers and their successors must have worked at this one, because to achieve that kind of flavour is no easy task. They must have started with the tobacco itself, and I have read that Larus actually had its own dedicated growers as suppliers. Whatever the case, there is nothing quite like Edgeworth -- at least not that I have sampled yet.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

ERR is one of the best drugstore blends, only second to Walnut in my book. This is your typical drugstore burley with the addition of significant amounts of Kentucky and Virginia, which makes it a bit more complex and well balanced.

ERR is also unique in that it's the pipe tobacco that most resembles a cigarette's taste, so I'd recommend it as an introduction to the pipe world to anyone who just quit smoking, if it wasn't for tongue bite. Most drugstore blends are horrid tongue biters, thou, so nothing to blame to this one in particular.

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (71)
Mild Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Everything started off good, the pouch aroma was great(although i couldnt detect jamaican rum)The cut i found intesting and thought it packed rather well. Now heres where things went wrong!It burned rather hot and left me with a sore tounge and mouth. I couldnt taste the topping as described, and didnt enjoy it at all.

DakotaPeacePipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DakotaPeacePipe (33)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

This is a cube cut relatively unadorned (by todays standards) burley. It burns cool with no bite - not to worry about artificial moisteners with this blend, there are none, it is bone dry. After nearly 40 years of wandering about the pipe tobacco universe I have come to the realization that my favorites are the traditional over the counter (codger if your prefer) burlies. Accordingly, this is among my favorites, and its passing will be mourned. Others have commented on finding notes of chocolate or rum flavoring and these indeed can be found on occasion. It burns cool with no bite. The pipe world is a poorer place with its demise.

BBlevins Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BBlevins (102)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

= A sad loss to the pipe smoking community occurred when Lane Limited ceased production of this fine Burley blend in July 2008. =

As others have noted, Edgeworth Ready Rubbed bears no resemblance to the Edgeworth Slices. That being said, it is still a remarkable smoke.

Cube cut Burley with a light topping of whats tastes to me like rum and chocolate. The result is a tobacco that packs easily, burns slow, smokes cool and tastes wonderful. To me it has a caramel flavor at about mid bowl. It can bite if puffed like a freight train, but smoked properly it should give you no problems. It burns to an ash without leaving a lot of junk in your pipe. As with most drug store tobacco, the tinned product is better than that packaged in the pouch.

I will sorely miss this tobacco now that it is gone, but fortunately I knew about the discontinuation of the blend ahead of time and stocked up on several tins.

mdyer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mdyer (2)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild Unnoticeable

My grandfather was a pipe smoker and by the amount of Edgeworth "Extra High Grade Sliced Pipe Tobacco" tins he had kicking around his fish house (he was a lobsterman/commercial fisherman) he must have liked the flake version. I still have an empty tin that I used to keep my more esoteric smoking material in when I was a teen and have hung on to it all these years.

I've been buying the Ready Rubbed in the pouch for the last year or so, and I find it to be a very good tobacco. As other folks say, its really easy to pack into the pipe, it burns well and it tastes good. I do think it burns a little hot and it always leaves me with a burnt feel in the mouth (nothing like the Mac Baren products I've tried though).

Its too bad they have discontinued this brand. I think there is a lot of American smoking history here. My little general store still has quite a few pouches and a few cans on the shelf. I suppose I should snap them up.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

I won a pouch of this at a pipe show and decided that the best thing to do was put it in a meerschaum and give it a try. I figured that if it was too bad the meer would suffer the least. I was pleasantly surprised to find that this was like Prince Albert on steroids. The subtle nuttiness and spice that are faintly present in PA are far out in front with this blend. It burns fairly cool and very slow. I did not notice a huge amount of goo in the bottom of my pipe and would say this one is safe in any pipe. There is some VA taste in this blend, but I think most of the sweetness comes from the casing.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Well, I finally found a pouch in a shop appropriately named: TOBACCO.

I have been wanting to try this stuff for quite a long time. I started pipe smoking in 1989, and I have never found this stuff in Florida-until now.

I love rubbed out plug cut, cubed Burley, and that's precisely what this is.

Even dry as a bone, this smoked cool, and delivered a fine, nutty, grassy flavor, with hints of coffee and cocoa.

There is no art to packing or lighting this stuff. It is a completely unpretentious blend, and is a steady, reliable smoke.

I look forward to trying it in the can. Easily the best of the mass produced Burley blends. (And I have tried most of them...)

Addendum: Cup o' Joes has available an homage blend that to me is practically identical to the blend Conwood discontinued. I was skeptical, but I ordered 4 ounces to sample. When it showed up it looked right. It smelled right. It TASTES right. It may be the same stuff for all I know. I love it! Kudos to Altadis for maintaining this stuff for those who lament its tinned version passing...

tonalsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonalsmoker (30)

ORIGINAL REVIEW 10/13/08-I grabbed this can off my shelf and finally took advantage of the discontinued Edgeworth RR.And I must say I was impressed with this tobacco.On opening the tin I noticed it was granular cut,which reminded me of SWR(Sir Walter Raleigh) and first light I noticed there is a very vague taste in the blend that's mildly sweet however the casing isn't present in the tin.In my opinion, the nuttiness wasn't noticed but was a tasty smoke.I will admit I've been smoking my personal favorites -Granger,Walnut,Prince Albert and Sir Walter Raleigh and I think I'll stick to Edgeworth and see how it goes after half of a tub,it's got potential:)

UPDATE-I am still enjoying what's left of my tub and the smoking experience has been positive.Ilet this tobacco get some air time. The sweet taste/topping I have identified as cocoa and works for this blend.I actually find myself smoking SWR mostly for it's darker spice casing(suitable for fall and winter).I must admit it's a high quality blend and I will definitely keep it in my rotation.

WmZiggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WmZiggy (66)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I haven't smoked Edgeworth RR in a long time, but there are many reasons why it has been around so long. I was reminded of this after ordering a tin and sampling it once again. I just wish they still packaged it in the wonderful tins of the turn of the last century and would love to see it in flake form once again. However the ready rubbed is nice, easy to pack, and perfect in moisture content.

This is a great tobacco of predominately high quality Burley and Virginia in a granulated cut. It is nutty and sweet. It never bites and is just wonderfully tasty. In fact, I like this better than G.L. Pease's Barbary Coast, which is a high quality and much more expensive Burley/Virginia blend in a similar cut. It burns beautifully, and is balanced in its flavor from top to bottom.

As I said, there are many good reasons why Edgeworth RR has been around for over a hundred years, and with a bowl of this wonderful tobacco one knows why.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend is so-so and I dont think I'll buy anymore of it after this stash is gone. I used it to blend with some VA and am waiting for it to marry some to see how it goes. Good pack, good light, good volume of smoke....very monogustatic which can be either good or bad depending on your preference. I don't mind a singular flavor but this burley is too bitter. Prince Albert is better on the cheap and Wessex/Solani is better if you spend more.

Idontwantapickle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Idontwantapickle (6)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Lightly sweet nutty burley. As with just about any pipe tobacco this really improves with age. Letting the blend dry a wee bit will also improve the flavour as well. It is said that rum is added to this blend, though it may be hard to detect I believe it does add a certain mellowing to the delicious tobacco. Just because this is an old favourite from yesteryear doesn't mean it's not good. It's wonderful, and I highly reccomend it.

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (76)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

On my recent odyssey of burley tobaccos I happened upon this jewel. It's hard to believe that over the years I have passed over this time and again. The crumbly cut makes for an easy load with no tamping required (or recommended). A few lights to get it going and off we go...Edgeworth has the characteristic nutty, smooth taste of burley, but has an edge reminiscent of virginia. Smooth, cool smoking (if not pushed), good room note, and a nice level of nicotene, all make for a very enjoyable and relaxing smoke..Recommended.

oldmanpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldmanpipe (62)

Edgeworth was one of the first tobaccos I learned to love, more than 35 years ago. I suppose the ready-rubbed was around then, but the only cut available to me was the original slices--not the version on the market today. Back then, the slices were domestically-produced and in a celophane pouch with a baby-blue wrapper. And they were by far the best burley buy on the market.

Until yesterday, it had been some years since I smoked the Edgeworth RR offering from Lane Ltd. A rather interesting discovery got me to try another can.

This stuff is still a top-of-the-line burley, albeit one slightly changed from what I remember. It seems somehow diminished, though not enough to nullify its wonderful qualities. There simply is not (and never was) anything like it. The notes of other reviewers pretty well describe the taste and aroma. But no words can do justice to this tobacco's singular character. If one runs out of Edgeworth, Prince Albert is an acceptable "make-do"...and FAR less costly, too. Kentucky Club burley cube doesn't even come close.

Love it or leave it alone; Edgeworth RR is what it is... a substantial, earthy, straightforward, classic American tobacco.

I smoke burleys during the warm months and English/Balkan blends in fall and winter...as I have since 1971. If it works,don't fix it! If you can get a can of Edgeworth RR, grab it and enjoy!

XDipper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
XDipper (30)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

UPDATE: Edgeworth RRd will also survive my culling of the four star rated tobaccos. This is an American classic and it will only take one smoke to figure out why. I alternate between this and Prince Albert for my medium burley. Most of the time, I'd tell you I prefer PA but in point of fact this is a much more complex blend and to my tastes PA and Edgeworth are about at a dead heat. A great classic burley smoke right out of the can, readily available at a very good price, with a lot of value for the money. Smoking qualities far surpassing many much more expensive blends. As far as hybrids, the Edgeworth Toasted Cavendish was OK at best. For a truly remarkable Edgeworth RR hybrid, mix it 1:1 with Five Brothers. Now that, by God is a Codger Burley.

ORIGINAL REVIEW: I went on an Old School, Over the Counter, Burley safari starting in about September. No such undertaking could be complete without an icon of classic American burley like Edgeworth RR. True to the era, there was not a lot of complexity with this blend. That won't be a factor though if straight burley is enough to keep you interested. When I opened the large tub, I was greeted with the typical nutty, bread dough, burley smell with a very unassuming casing smelling something like cocoa or instant coffee, almost too light to be detected. The cut was different and it kind of reminded me of Grape Nuts cereal (texture wise at least). Once flame was applied, it really began to shine though, after a charring light and a subsequent tamp, we were off. True to the breed it was not a sickening sweet aromatic type smoke, if anything it was almost a neutral room note with just a hint of sweetness and casing. Basically, it smoked and smelled very similar to the tin aroma. That's what I've really learned to like about burley blends, they are a nice medium between the cloying, sickening sweet aromatic and the musty, leathery, smokey English blends. The burley blends are nice and middle of the road, no scented candle smell but you're never mistaken for a road repair crew either. The room note was typical of a burley but much fuller than, say, Carter Hall. Every once in a while the chocolate/coffee casing peaked through but never seemed to be pronounced or lingering. A full blend, old reliable, all day, every day smoke that smoothly smoked to the bottom of the bowl and quickly jumped out as the front runner of my burley excursion. Also typical of the breed it is very low maintenance and wouldn't bite if you asked it to. After smoking half of the tub I decided to experiment with some hybrid home-blending. Nothing too complex or expensive. I ran to Walgreens, got some toasted cavendish and mixed 2 parts Edgeworth to 1 part toasted cavendish. THIS STUFF rocks. The toasted cavendish managed to bring out a bit more of the burley creaminess and while what I am smoking will never be mistaken for an aromatic, it took great and made it that much better. While the toasted cavendish gives it a bit more complexity, the burley is still the star of the show and the toasted cavendish basically gives the effect of a little heavier casing and a mildly sweet, creamy, (but still nutty and kind of doughy) taste (without being too over the top.) All in all, by itself or with the toasted cavendish, Edgeworth RR is a winner, highly recommended. One of those blends that you may or may not smoke for years at a time but will always eventually get back to.

Frosty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Frosty (37)
Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

My tub, which I just opened, is composed of rather large chunks reminding me of a krumble kake. In fact I have to rub this batch out before packing. The fragrance is slightly boozy with a hint of chocolate and hay. It appears to be very good quality leaf. I find the flavor to be a bit on the mild side for me, and I was expecting perhaps the leftovers from the production of the slices version, of which I was very fond. This would be a good tobacco for those who like mild burlies, and who have the patience to sip slowly to seek the flavors out. Unfortunatly I have to smoke outside or in the garage, so I tend toward stronger tobaccos. The ready rubbed version does not have the nicotine kick of the slices, if my memory serves. I will gladly finish the tub, but will try Wessex burley slices when this is gone. My wife says the room note smells faintly of chocolate. If you like this it is a great value. **Update 03/16/08- I have raised the nicotine strength to medium. I have smoked my way through 1/4 of the tub now, and am starting to appreciate the flavor more as well. The weather has warmed up here in MO and I have been able to really spend some time savoring this tobacco- I feel a nice nicotine buzz that I hadn't noticed when it was 15 degree's. Still a 3 star blend for me, but I am really liking this stuff.

Jabberwocky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jabberwocky (6)

Coming back to the pipe I read many reviews here. Pipestud seems to be the man so I ordered a ERRd tin. One week later I have found my go to blend. I tried Half and Half, hated it. Carter Hall and Prince Albert were OK, but in my novice taste I find ERRd really tasty. No bite and I know I am drawing too hard too fast. Whatever the casing is I find it absolutly to my liking. My better half even said it smells good!(in the tin and burning) Is that a slight chocolate smell and taste? Very subtle, very nice. Nutty burley very tasty. Anyone can not do wrong have some ERRd in the rotation. If you find otherwise you can always send it to me! Thanks go out to pipestud and smokey for you reviews. 07-17-2011 OK , now that my tin of ERRd has aged three more years: Why oh why do they not make this anymore? I am going to have to try the Altidus copy to see if it is even close.

smokey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey (120)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I've been smoking a pipe for more than 38 years, yet somehow had never tried this classic tobacco. On the recommendation of Bob Runowski ("Morleysson"), a person whose opinions on tobacco I respect a lot, I ordered a 14 oz. can.

ERRd in the can is a mix of medium and dark browns with a slightly sweet, somewhat chocolatey aroma. I have heard a rumor that this blend is cased with chocolate but have no idea if that is true. It comes in a rubbed out cut that packs almost as well as a cube cut and makes it very simple to pack, light, and smoke. It has a very good burn rate; you won't need many relights with this one.

The flavor can best be described as a crisp burley nuttiness. In spite of whatever casing it may have, it is not a sweet tobacco. The flavor stays consistent most of the way down the bowl, although I did note a slight bitterness right at the bottom in a couple of pipes. I smoked this blend in a variety of pipes and found it works best in a larger bowl.

One excellent point for this quality tobacco is price. I purchased a 14 oz. can from JR Cigars for $19.95. With many blends exceeding the $30/lb. mark that is an excellent buy.

Scores for Edgeworth Ready Rubbed: Flavor-16 of 20; lighting and burn-9 of 10; value-10 of 10. 35 points gets ERRd a ** rating and the highest score I've ever given an OTC tobacco. It has found a permanent home in my tobacco cabinet.

Dave Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dave (15)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Not big on Burley or OTC blends but I read another bit of trivia about this that I will describe below. It piqued my interest so I picked up a pouch and have been working on it throughout the day. Not bad for an OTC blend. I find it smooth, a little sweet (perhaps the rum?) and overall rather pleasant. A little like Peretti's 333 or BPC blends but milder. Not bad. I usually end up not finishing many Burleys I try and they end up in the cabinet for a few months and then in the trash but I will definitely finish this pouch. Not sure if I will buy it regularly but if I am in a pinch, it won't disappoint me.

Oh, that bit of trivia- I recently read where the former dictator of the Soviet Union, Josef Stalin, loved smoking a pipe and Edgeworth was his favorite blend, but he had to hide that fact since it was an American tobacco. Hope that doesn't drive anyone away from it as it really isn't that bad, IMHO.

Matches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Matches (19)

I bought a tin of this based on reviews here and on a few forums.I can't say I'm disappointed, nor am I overly pleased. The taste for me reminds me of a good burley, with a subtle addition that I haven't figured out yet. Perhaps I will add to this review at a later date, but for right now, I'll say, not bad/not great.

UPDATE Edgeworth and I have formed an unusual relationship as I'm nearing the bottom of the tub. The blend has dried and the flavor has changed slightly. I've had some really good smokes as is, and found it to be a nice addition to Virginia tobacco (50/50). I'm getting another tub, but Carter Hall is still #1 for me as far as OTC burley blends.

jmartindale Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jmartindale (22)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Out of the big blue tin, Edgeworth arrives a little damp. Some drying time and some further rubbing out certainly helps.

After a quick gravity fill, the slightly sticky Burley cube cut burns steadily, although several charring lights may be required. The soft, slightly sweet casing (tastes like chocolate to me) adds a touch of sweetness to the mouth, but overall, a classy Burley taste prevails. The room aroma is beyond tolerable and may even be fairly pleasant to non-smokers.

To me, Edgeworth is the best OTC Burley blend available today, but Prince Albert is an extremely close second because it burns much better and it finishes a little less sweet.

Within the Americana OTC Burley blend genre, Edgeworth effortlessly earns 4 stars.

Top Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Top (3)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

As a bit of trivia, LL Bean used to sell Edgeworth as their own special blend. Old LL never had a problem taking a common product and making it his own. The famous Maine Hunting Shoe, for example. This was not a new idea when LL hung a new moniker on it and made it his flagship product. This was back when LL Bean still pretended they were just a New England general store with a catalog, instead of the mainstay of preppiedom they were/have become. The blurbs were written as if old LL were sitting there in front of the woodstove advising his customers. Not being disparaging, mind you, just poking gentle fun. It was, as several have remarked, right up there with Half and Half, Prince Albert (in the can), Raleigh, Granger, Barking Dog ("It never bites") Amphora and Sail for the henpecked, and other drugstore blends back in the 50s and 60s. The classic American pipe smoke was burley. Period. Leafing through old Montgomery Ward and Sears Roebuck reproduction catalogs bears this out. My personal favorite was Granger.

Nick O'Teen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nick O'Teen (90)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Aah, what memories these reviews bring back.

Many years ago, as a newer pipe smoker, I visited a large chain drugstore with an entire isle devoted to pipe tobacco. It was a hot summer morning, but seemed like Christmas to me as I marveled at all the colorful boxes, cans and pouches, spotting many brands and blends I'd never seen before.

I purchased many tobaccos that day but none as interesting as the one with the funny phrase, "ready rubbed" on the pouch. I had no clue what "ready rubbed" meant but fired up my first bowl of Edgeworth anyway.

Almost instantly, it dawned on me that this was different from the other drugstore blends I'd been smoking. This was my first taste of a decent quality blend.

No longer happily oblivious to the low quality stuff I'd been weaned on, I continued to smoke "ready rubbed" and began to seek out new blends at tobacco stores. I moved on to Troost Slices and my life as a piper was forever changed.

I don't see Ready Rubbed around the drugstores anymore and it looks like it's gotten a bit pricey in the cans. It's been years since I smoked it and am not sure how much I'd care for it today, but this one was a turning point in my pipesmoking life.

3 Nostalgic Stars *

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I ordered a tin of this from JR's not expecting much and certainly not expecting it to be anything like it's cousin, the sliced version.

What I found it to be was just plain good ol' burley. The cut is somewhere between a crimp cut and cubed burley. It packs and likes easily and smokes cool and pretty much biteless as far as burley tobaccos are concerned.

It costs a bit more than Prince Albert. However, it burns a lot slower and cooler. It's a higher quality of burley than that used in Prince Albert.

For those who like classic American burley blends, this is worth your time. Ounce for ounce, I believe it to be the best cubed burley available and I smoke it often.

gnossos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gnossos (39)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Hands down the best OTC in my opinion, in that it doesn't smoke like an OTC. PA and CH are great but when they're done they're pretty much done. This lingers like a "high class" blend.

I talked to someone at a local B&M who said he heard from an old blender for Edgeworth that they most definitely add chocolate. But this has a solid burley flavor that isn't marred by any sort of aromatic character. As with all OTCs, much better out of the tub than out of the pouch. Spicy and delicious. I would almost guess there is a dash of perique in this but it is not the case.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is one of those affordable "drugstore" blends that are actually better than most of the higher-priced "premium" mixtures (IMO, of course). It's similar to both Carter Hall and Prince Albert, although it has a darker and slightly sweeter taste. The cubed cut also makes a big difference in that it burns FAR more slowly than its counterparts. Like the aforementioned blends, Edgeworth RR is also an excellent tobacco for breaking in a pipe. There is a noticeable flavoring, but it's artfully applied.

Birddog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Birddog (6)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Edgeworth first showed up for me in Gene Hill's outdoor writings (columnist for Field and Stream) as his pipe tobacco and I remember it, but never tried it, when I started the pipe in the '70s.

I always have a change of pace tobacco in my rotation that is either a typical English or a burley. I tried Granger and Kentucky Club (burned) and still use Half and Half. I also kept a supply of C&D's Crooner on hand, and liked its peppery taste, but tired of the difficulty in packing it and keeping it lit. Besides, there always seemed to be so much "dust" and bits in it.

Edgeworth is what I wish Crooner were. It is superior to the other OTC blends I have tried. ERR is close to a cube cut, but packs and lights much more easily. Some have described its smell as chocolate or "grassy," the latter being closer, but it reminds me of bale of fresh hay; grassy, yes, but pleasant, earthy and redolent of the outdoors.

It packs and lights easily; stays lit; offered no tongue bite and burned to a grey ash; a nutty, burley tobacco that is what it is. I don't see it as "spicy" and there sure is shootin' no detectable rum taste. Just an earthy, dependable burley that is mild and fragrant. Smells good too. This stays in my rotation.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)

(Update) I forced myself to smoke one last bowl of Edgeworth before tossing it in the trash. A strange thing happened. For the first time in my smoking experience I enjoyed a Burley blend. It had this familiar spiciness that I normally associate with Turkish blends, but magnified many times over. The sensation was so strong I nearly went into a fit of sneezing convulsions. Damn, it was amazing! I quickly smoked the remaining contents of my now empty years old pouch and rummaged through all my on hand blends seeking out anything with Burley. Subsequent bowls of Epiphany and Bow Legged Bear reshaped my relationship with the leaf. I suppose quitting cigarettes half a year ago had the effect of disassociating the leaf with my more regular memories, allowing me to finally appreciate the tobacco for something more than a quick nicotine fix. My next order of blends will consist of a broad sampling.

(Update) I'm taking down my recommendation again. This damned thing is still sitting in my drawer, and I don't have the heart to throw it out. I have realized over the past few years that I simply dislike Burley but can tolerate it in small proportions, like Epiphany, which in my estimation is the best Burley blend I have smoked. I know, I know, people hate it when you declare contempt for a genre and then proceed to write very nasty reviews. I tried, honestly!

(Update) It took me a while to appreciate this blend, but I've come around. I suppose I've adapted to the taste, which at one point seemed intolerable. My current opinion enjoys the straightforwardness of Edgeworth, and I upped the strength on my rating. I do like smoking this with a strong cup of dark coffee, or just before bed, as it seems to quell my desire for a smoke through the night rather well. My opinions may further change as I finish off my little pouch...it's too early to wrap this one up.

(3/12/07) I have a hard time with Burley, especially in big doses. Prince Albert and I simply hate each other, and a few of his friends too, I don't get along so well with either. I seem prone to mad Burley bite and a negligible nicotine hit. And that nutty taste that so many refer to simply reminds me of a cheap cigarette with a horrible aftertaste.

Ok, so obviously this review isn't going so well, and I apologize to all you dedicated fans that can't stand a dissenting opinion on your favored blends.

Listen, I read the pouch. I know this is "America's Finest Pipe Tobacco". I'm sure Greg Pease must be very angered to know this, and probably the folks over at C&D are wracking their brains in a futile attempt at serious competition. And I know many people have claimed this is some serious high quality Burley, of the most esteemed nature.

I just don't see it.

Maybe my dry as hell sample sat too long on the store shelf in that permeable yet elegant plastic pouch, but I doubt it. As a child, I vaguely recall the look of pet rabbit food while staring through an empty cage at some friend's house. "What does that stuff taste like," I wondered, while someone ran around a room chasing a poor frightened animal hopping about, dreaming of liberty. The beautiful lumpy granules that comprise Edgeworth brought back those repressed memories.

This is just a small step above the old Prince, in my opinion. For what it's worth, that won't stop you from smoking it.

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)

=Update== While this hasn't changed, I have. Since trying Safe Harbor by C&D (Essentially a resurection of the original blend of RR- plus better ingredients), I can't smoke this....Its good for what it is....Downgrading to 2 stars as there is a better alternative out there...

I have never had the pleasure of trying the original Edgeworth RR, just the lane product. I had put it off because my only available source was J&R, and its 6 2 oz pouches or a giant tub for $17. I finally went for the 6 pouches. Wish I had gone for the Tub. This stuff rocks. By and away the most flavorful of the so called OTC blends. I would swear there was perique in it as it has the best spicey in your nose exhalation. Its never boring. The samples I got were a little dry, so the begining was a little strong. Exhaling gently as I went not only stoked the little cubey chunks ( the cut made gravity fill easy on the loading)- but got the moisture level on target. Future bowls treated with humidor disk were perfect start to finish. All in all the best of the OTC Burley blends. It's on to the big tub for me!

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (62)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm a burley smoker and over the last several years have been trying, with varying degrees of success, to find what is for me the ideal burley blend. This tobacco is probably as close as I am going to get to the "perfect blend" for my use.

I ordered mine in a 14 oz tub. It came fresh and with just the right amount of moisture. Always takes three good charring lights/tamps but then it pretty much smokes itself. Smoked very slowly this has one of the nicest and most subtle flavors I've found. Cool, dry, no gurgle or sizzle. The cut allows a slow, steady burn that can't and shouldn't be rushed. Maybe theres some casing, but if present it's minimal to nonexistant. This is has a straightup tobacco taste that is very earthy and mellow. Recommended for it's simplicity, pleasant taste, ease of smoking and very reasonable cost.

NapaWineLover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NapaWineLover (66)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

On a lark ? I spotted and purchased a 14 ounce tin of Edgeworth Ready Rubbed. I thought that I had become a bit snobbish about blends and also realized that I was really starting to enjoy Burley, despite my terrible experience with ?Crooner?, and decided ? what the heck.

Now, the results of this lark: This stuff is terrific. It is way beyond what I expected and I have smoked a considerable amount of it now to feel comfortable to write this review. In fact, I haven?t smoked anything else for a considerable time, and I have never done that before. Indeed, I?ll circle back to my rotation favorites, which include Oriental and out right Latakia blends. However this blend has given me so much enjoyment and has completely uncomplicated my experience that I?m in no rush.

In appearance, many reviewers here have described it quite well. I have spotted some broken flake in the tin as well. Mostly though, it is small cubes and shards of deep dark brown and brown tobacco. The tin moisture was just right. The aroma from the tin is that tobacco and bittersweet chocolate. Nothing that is sweet to the nose. If one tells me it?s cased, I?ll acquiesce ? if someone were to tell me it isn?t ? I?m okay with that too, because it does not change my smoking experience in the least.

Char light is two minimum for me before tamping ? sometimes three. All Burley in the first few puffs. After that it settles right away into a moderate duo of nicely aged and soft Burley and some stoved VA that pokes its head now and then. This tobacco is mild to medium in strength so it wasn?t until I smoked it in pipes the second time around that I got the extremely subtle nuance of the blend. But my perception from the onset was already pleasing. It was my experience that the third smoke in the same pipe was devoid of the alkali or acid from my other blends embedded in the cake. It really became smooth, with some complexity but most of all, satisfying. And that?s why I smoke a pipe in the first place. Satisfaction.

Once this starts humming it doesn?t stop until the bottom of the bowl. It doesn?t get hot, wet or unnecessarily strong. It is very well behaved and very kind to one?s mouth; and, at the same time very enjoyable. I never dreamed that I could load up a nice pouch and just keep smoking the same tobacco, but I did and I am.

The ash is mottled to dark gray with some really dark bits, but it burns completely down to the bottom of the bowl, with the only regret being that it?s done. I?ve packed the pipe with the pipe in the tin or pouch with one finger like something from an old movie, and I?ve carefully packed it using the Franck method. I?ve smoked it in large bowls and small bowls and it has always been satisfying.

Despite this tobaccos current pedigree (or lack thereof) I?m giving this my highest recommendation. I don?t care if the recipe changed, I don?t care who makes it, and I don?t care if it?s sold in drugstores or fancy parlors. I love this stuff and I am smoking it bowl after bowl and enjoying it very very much. Even my pipes seem to love it. The cakes in the bowls are mysteriously smoothing out. It smokes cool, dry and the extra bonus is that the room note is pleasant. Again, I don?t mean aromatic pleasant ? just plain basic smell of nutty Burley.

It was my endeavor to find a milder smoke that would still hold my interest and not be hot air. I had already started to really enjoy some basic Burley blends. This was a complete surprise and I?m very pleased. In fact, I wrote this review while enjoying a bowl of Edgeworth Ready Rubbed in a Sasieni 4 Dot Rough Root.

Cheers, VC

Old Burr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Burr (3)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

First of all, I'm a Burley tobacco smoker. I bristle at all who, at this admission, take pity on me, and try to 'convert' me to an aromatic, or a gourmet, fancy blend, that invariably comes with a high price tag, and a small container. I'm a serious, no frills, old fashioned pipe-man, and there are four basic tore blends that I never want to be without at any time - all of them burley. One of these is Edgeworth ready rubbed. It smells good in the tin, it smells good when released into the air, from the first light, to the last puff at the bottom of the bowl, and it smells good on my moustache afterwards, and in the room where I've smoked it, where it s for hours after. That is my criterion for a pipe tobacco that I love, that and that it must stay lit, taste nutty and slightly sweet, and not steam my tongue, or make a soggy mess of the inside of my pipe, and that I can smoke it all day, without getting sick ot dizzy from a too strong or too sweet blend. In short, simple burley that hasn't been 'improved' upon by a lot od top notes or other flavourings. Why improve what's perfect? And burley is perfect tobacco, as kind and well mannered as they come. That's Edgeworth ready rubbed.

ChicagoPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ChicagoPipe (45)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

One of my favortie burley blends from the Drugstore Tobaccos. I took this blend with me to college over 40 years, and have been smoking it in my rotation ever since. Edgeworth Ready Rubbed is cube cut burley, nice grassy overtones and a nutty burley flavor. I don't ever remember this blend having virginia in it, or flavored with rum. Thus, the description of this tobacco is confusing.

The puouch aroma smells of chocolate, and it has a very pleasant room note. This tobacco also blends very well with virginia and tames down English Blends that are too harsh. I like to mix Edworth Ready Rub with a sweet Virginia cake, 50-50, and spray some Jamacian rum on it. Let this mixture sit for about 3 days, and you have a great aromatic smoke thats not goopy and dosne't bite.

This tobacco along with Granger are my two favorites from the DS blends. Edgeworth has been around for almost 100 years and there is a good reason why it has. Give it a try.

As a side note, in reading the reviews of the old Drugstore tobaccos, alot of the reviews mention that the tobacco was really dry and smoked hot! Well, I think if you got a tin of a high price McClelland tobacco blend and it was dry, it would burn hot. Hydrate the tobacco, let it sit for a couple of days, and then smoke it. You will have a differnet opinion of the taste and the burning characteristic.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Good basic burley tobacco, somewhere between Carter Hall and Kentucky Club. Pleasant aroma in the room as well as in the pouch. This has some flavor but it does not shine. I will finish the pouch but I won't be buying this again, as I feel that Kentucky Club is a much better burley overall.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)

How much is an ?Edgeworth? and how much does a Steinway? In the case of the latter, it weighs a lot. In the case of the former, it is probably ?worth? something to burley lovers. A gravity fill of the fine cut cubes and a tamp or two and you?re off. I found ERR a wee bit harsh at first light probably due to its dryness (of my pouch). For me, it started off with pronounced hay/grass overtones but slowly evolved into a more nutty and welcome burley taste as I progressed down the bowl. I think there are very few people around who can accurately confirm that this is the same Edgeworth that was sold in earlier decades. Additionally, what Mother Nature produces on different acreage year to year is difficult to replicate exactly. To wit, tobacco doesn?t come off an assembly line. Regardless, for the here and now, this is a solid, hearty, classic, no-frills All-American burley blend for burley lovers.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this tobacco 8.4 out of 10.

ErnieQ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ErnieQ (6)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Edgeworth is the epitome of good old fashioned American Burley. The cut is more "Chunky" than a cube cut, and there's really no way to pack it too tight. The tin aroma is of light Rum and chocolate with a distinct tobacco aroma wrapping it all together. A few extra puffs and it's lit just fine (Unlike many tobaccos of this cut) and it's perfect moisture level makes for an even burn.

Bittersweet nuttiness is the flavor from top to bottom, without the usual halfway mark degradation inherent with most American Burley Blends.

This has forever been my "Go To" smoke and I consider it good all day lomg. Highly Recommended.

OLDTIMER Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OLDTIMER (39)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Edgeworth Ready Rubbed is truly, one of the great Tobaccos that has stood the test of time.It is enjoyed by young and old pipe smokers alike.Very little tongue bite if any,and very tasty.It has a nutty, dark chocolate flavor that is hard to beat.Moisture is just perfect,and burns to a clean ash.One of the great Burley blends of the past and present.

I bought a pouch of this just for the review. It came very dry and with little scent. I used the gravity fill method and a light tamp when full. A little harsh at first puff due to the too-dry condition. Flavor and strength reminds me of the Edgeworth slices but not quite as rich. Remember, the slices were manufactured in Europe and the ready-rubbed is made by Lane,Inc. in the U.S. My pouch description makes no mention of Virginia tobacco at all, just light and dark Burleys. Also, this is not really a cube-cut tobacco although it is sort of a short shag cut. I am going to re-humidify this pouch and see if that richens the flavor a bit. If not, will make a good blender.

pipeinlefthand Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipeinlefthand (4)

There is a sort of old time variety store near where I live that I sometimes go to and pick through an old stock of Dr. Grabow pipes. They have obviously been on the rack at least twenty years. Last time I was there, I inquired about pipe tobacco. After detecting my lack of interest in the usual blends one finds in such a store, the proprietor said "I have something to show you" and proceeded to pull from behind the counter an unopened can of Edgeworth Ready Rubbed. Like the pipes, this can is at least twenty years old. It seems someone down on his luck brought in in and traded it for cigarette tobacco. $20 Canadian later I figured the can must be worth at least something. Upon peeling off the disposable metal lid I was greeted with an earthy-sweet mince-meat smell and a dark, cube cut leaf. I knew I was in for something interesting. It tastes pretty much like a burley with a dark spicy undertaste and is unlike anything else I have tried. I like the taste, it is earthy, but honestly find this a little harsh, even a filtered pipe didn't smooth it any. It also packs an incredible nicotine punch, and I spin for a few hours after just one bowl. It wasn't goopy, but it wasn't as dry as the age of the tin might suggest. Perhaps when the tin has been open awhile it will mellow. The can states it was "Made under authority of Larus & Brother Company Richmond, Virginia by The Pinkerton Tobacco Company, Owensboro, Kentucky". I understand it is now made by Lane, so I would be curious to try some of it's current incarnation. In the meantime, it's an interesting curiousity to share with fellow pipe smokers, if only to watch their eyes pop out from nicotine.

Pkloop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pkloop (46)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Burley is my favorite so its no suprise I like this one too. Much better class of burley in here as it seems to avoid that bitter end that plagues the other drug store blends. At one time this may have been the ready-rubbed version of the slices but I don't believe it is anymore. This is now a Lane product and still easily available unlike the slices version which has been discontinued. At anyrate its good, packs and burns good, doesn't bite, and will be hit hit with any burley fan. That said if you can find em get the slices!

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (76)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

The so called tin description is not accurate plus this product has changed and been reformulated. I can't detect any fire cured or virgina in this blend, only rough cube cut burley with a gentle flavoring note. I have read this description elsewhere but think it is a "typo" from the manufacturer confusing it with Edgeworth Slices. This used to be large rough cut peices of leaf packed as a solid compressed block in the tin. It was more moist with a heavier and different aromatic flavor giving a more round and sweeter (not cloying) flavor with a cigar leaf-like note. I preferred the older version better, in fact I esteemed it to be one of the best and unique burley blend around. Today it is much drier and smokes more closely like Sir Walter Raleigh regular. I think Lane may have reformulated this to be more like the "sclices" version. All in all it is a pleasant blend that will be especially appreciated by "Burley Nuts" but has lost its distinction in my opinion.

-Recommended for burley fans

fourshephards Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fourshephards (51)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I have at last broken down and purchased a quantity of Edgeworth RR'd. A friend of mine has sworn by this stuff for many years and I figured that it was high time I give it a fair trial. I have really been enjoying burleys these past months and I must say that Edgeworth has certainly carved a niche in my rotation.

The aroma upon opeing is a mixture of sweet and grassy and though this stuff is supposed to be cased, there is none immediately evident. One charring light and then upon the second lighting one is greeted by the aroma of bread baking mixed with a bit of spice - very inviting. As I worked my way down the bowl, I sense the baking of bread and semi-sweet chocolate though Edgeworth should never be classified as an aromatic.

The bowl burned down to a grey and somewhat granular ash and left the bowl walls clean. The smoke was not what I would classify as a trip down ecstacy lane, but I do not feel that this was ever the intention of the Larus folks when they created Edgeworth. What I received was much the same kind of feeling one gets after a trip to the corner diner - a sense of satisfaction derived from a healthy portion of good comfort food. Edgeworth is best when smoked thoughtfully.

Even my wife didn't complain about Edgeworth.

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Good burley mixture here. I use it for mixing othere tobaccos together. Try this one: McClelland's British Woods with a half ounce of Edgeworth ready rubbed.Mix together and soak it in light rum for a few days. Let it dry out and then thank me as you smoke one heck of a good blend! Edgeworth is good tobacco,It's burley and has a good tatse of spicey pecans.

mailman 5000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mailman 5000 (60)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

This is the cubed version of one of my all time favorites. The slices version every time for me as the ready rubbed has very odd properties. When you light it the cubes swell to at least twice the original size spreading fire and ash all over the place. Devotees of this have know doubt worked out how to deal with this. Keeping a fire extingisher handy would be a useful tip.

Burley blends in general are heavily scorned, although when done right they are very good and seem to be gaining interest but as far as Edgeworth goes stick to the slices.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Medium to Strong Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I find this to be a harsher and bitier blend than Edgeworth Slices, despite the alleged presence of a Rum casing. If you really like Burley, you may like this, but I think you would like Edgeworth Slices a lot better. I do. I won't be buying any more of this.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Cube cut and random bits of nothing but Burley, with a little topping. One of my co-workers swore by it, and smoked nothing else his entire adult life. I love it as a change of pace, it is always cool and tasty, and can be puffed at slow to medium rate without biing. If you haven't tried it, you should. Just a nice nutty flavor.

Sceny Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sceny (66)

This is most definitely a burley tobacco; that is apparent from the first puff. I should also say here that I don't like most of the burleys I've tried, but I did attempt to give this a fair trial. I ordered a sample bag of this, so the appearance and smell may differ for you, if you buy a tin. In the bag, I can smell a rather ordinary, basic tobacco, with perhaps a hint of sweetness. Though the description says it is cased, I would not know that from just the smell. It is in a rather ragged cube cut, partially rubbed out but mostly in small chunks. It packs well, and appears to have average moisture content. On lighting, the smoke is a nutty, ordinary smell, very similar to other burleys I've smoked. It burns OK, needing a larger than average number of relights. For the first third of the bowl, I get hints of a sweet casing of some type, though I can't identify it. The strongest flavor, however, is the nutty, somewhat harsh burley. This is not a bad flavor, but there is some bite and the harshness is not appealing. Into the second third, the casing disappears, and the nuttiness becomes stronger and darker. Tongue bite is still a threat, lurking ever in the background. The final third is a repeat of the second, though the harshness does become more pronounced. If not for that and the bite, I might enjoy this, since the flavor itself is not bad. It isn't anything special either, however, and it's just not worth fighting the problems for what is a fairly ordinary smoke. Overall, not very impressive. If you enjoy burleys (and GL Pease's blends don't count!), then you may like this. I don't, and therefore will likely not be smoking this very often. NOTE: My first impression above was confirmed through trials in two other pipes; nix on this one.