Notes: This is the same as Tabak-Kontor's "No. 3" The blend consists out of 5 different, but all red Virginias. No. 33 gets 3x the time to mature than No. 3 From the German Website: "Even when not on fire you'll notice the stoved-baked plum, apricot, honey, bread and malt, which this natural, unspoiled tobacco will also develop throughout a smoke. Tongue friendly, medium strength, best to be enjoyed in medium to big bowls.

BrandKontor-Tabak
Blended ByTabak-Kontor
Strength
Taste
Very Full

DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (176)
Mild to Medium None Detected Very Full Very Pleasant

On my journey of exploring - and finally appreciating straight Virginia blends, I came across No. 33. This is supposed to be Kontor's No. 3, but with 3 years of aging on it. Who would buy No. 3 then? No. 33 only costs 1€ more, I'd always choose the matured one over the fresh one. Maybe that's just me, but I think most people will think same.

Reading the description I was highly sceptic, if this really is unspoiled and natural. After sticking my nose in the sample-baggie I'm quite sure it is unspoiled, natural tobacco.

The rather fine ready-rubbed mixture has a orangy-red, medium-brown colour with slight golden speckles. It's un-burnt smell is very tempting and matches the description from Kontor. Rich (full-rye) bread, a (bright-toned) fruity dimension that's reminiscent of apricots, peaches and tangerines, as well as a malty quality lurking in the back. Rich spice already in the smell. This one really has a complex and deep smell, but it all seems natural scents to me.

Comes in perfect smoking condition right away. I form balls of the ready-rubbed and stack them in the bowl. Alternative you could also rub it further out to a shag. Takes the light like a charm and burns steadily, cool and flawless.

Lighting up No. 33 instantly hits me with a rich bready flavour, that's underscored by a malty quality. In the first quarter of the bowl the flavour-profile builds up constantly and a bewitching (slightly fermented) fruit tone joins the taste. Apricot and Peaches describe it very well. Its fruit-aroma, I find to be bright" in character, unlike many Va/Pers who I find to have a "dark" and more stoved fruit-character. Slightly sour and citrusy dimension is whispering in the back and makes this even more refreshing. In the 2nd half a note of hops joins in, which merges with the malty quality to make it even more tasty. The sweetness of this blend is very honey-ish, slightly caramell-ish and harmonizes very well with the decent (almost peppery) spice that's in this blend. I think this is as "full-bodied" as a straight Virginia can get.

Brilliant composition to my perception - admitedly I haven't smoked too many straight Virginias by now, but this is easily in the Top 3 of the ones I tried.

I'm deeply impressed by this blend and how flavourful a straight Virginia can be! This pulls me deeper into the Rabbit Hole which leads into the world of lovely straight Virginias, that have more to offer than "Citrus and Hay/grass".

Highly recommended for anyone! This is a great entry-level Virginia to me, and I think even experienced smokers will appreciate this blend a lot.

4/4 stars - Nature is a miracle, thanks to who or whatever created the tobacco plant for us to enjoy. A instant favorite to me, I have to get more of this asap!!

Pipe Used: Clay Pipes / Various Briars