A steady rhythm of bright and red Virginias is joined by an accompaniment of robust Perique and dark fired Kentucky, making for a spicy little diddy sure to keep you on your toes.

Blend TypeVirginia Based
ContentsKentucky, Perique, Virginia
Packaging2oz Tin
Strength
Taste
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable

The tart and tangy, dark fruity, earthy red Virginia is complimented by the grassy, citrusy bright Virginia. The spicy, raisiny perique is just more than a condiment. The woody, mildly nutty, lightly floral, fairly dry dark fired Kentucky plays a slightly more important role than the perique, and is a supporting player, especially after the first quarter of the bowl. The strength and taste levels gather a little potency as you go along, starting out as mild to medium, and settles at the medium level just past the half way point. The nic-hit is in the center of mild to medium, and gets a tad stronger at the same time the strength and taste aspects do. Won’t bite or get harsh, and has no dull moments. Burns cool, clean, and very slightly slow with a fairly rich flavor, leaving little moisture in your pipe. Needs a few more than an average number of relights. Has a pleasant, lightly filling after taste. Can almost be an all day smoke for experienced smokers, and repeatable for those who aren’t.

-JimInks

LannarkGent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LannarkGent (130)

This blend reminds me of a jazz combo. It is well balanced and all of the constituent Parts have a role to play this flavor treat. The Red Virginias provide a wonderfully earthy and and sweet note. The Bright Virginas playfuly compliment its virginia cousin, lightly tickling the palate with a refined citrus note. What's a jazz combo without a bass player? The dark fired Kentucky provides solid earthy ,deep and pensive, solid , dark and mysterious notes. The touch of that fine barbeque essense is highlighted by the pepper taste of the perique, just present. The moisture content of my tin is perfect-- the have been no relights. The nicotine hit is what I would call restrained with a noticable presence. This blend seems to get more complex as one gets further into the bowl. This is one of the finest Virginia and Kentucky blends that I have ever smoked. I will be adding a number of tins to my cellar .

Pipe Used: Robe Art Rhodesian

Purchased From: Indian River Tobacco Traders Grand Rapids Mi

Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (108)

A VERY pleasant smoker! The cut is slightly broader than a medium ribbon and due to the coarser cut of the broken flake it smokes cool. The base is bright Virginia flake supported by red Virginia. The Perique and the dark-fired Kentucky are more than a spice, but they are not overly assertive--I seem to notice the Perique more than the dark-fired. Both add some needed depth and dimension and darken the flavor. I taste a hint of dark fruitiness (more like raisins than figs, dates or plums) along with a touch of woody smokiness, so there is a bit of complexity. The flavor is all tobacco and completely natural. Overall, Bluegrass is Interesting and well-blended, but it doesn't quite reach the level of fascinating. It is easy to like and I do think that some will have little difficulty in forming an attachment. This will be more of a treat for Virginia and VAPER smokers.

A 3+, but closer to a 3 than a 4.

Fletch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fletch (7)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought a tin of this tobacco because I was told that I might fight a light figgy flavor (similar to a fig newton). Although I didn't get that from a tin note or a flavor profile, I have found an enjoyable tobacco. Very light ribbon cut and smokable right out of the tin. Flavor profile is pleasant, which to me means that it is a delightful tasting tobacco. Balanced. I didn't feel an overwhelming presence of the DFK, but just enough to enhance the virginias that I love. The perique also is not overwhelmingly spicy or overbearing, just enough. I disagree with previous reviews that mention it's a mild nic hit. I regularly feel my heart amped if I walk and smoke this tobacco, so I highly recommend taking this one slow in a metered pace. Room note is also balanced, but I wouldn't call it overwhelming in the negative or the satisfying category. So, there you go. Definitely worth trying if you like KentuckyVaPers.

Pipe Used: Various cobs and briars

Age When Smoked: Smoked when I ordered

Purchased From: SmokingPipes.com

Similar Blends: D & R Tobacco - TAPS VIP.