This flake is made out of bright yellow and dark Virginias from two continents in combination with a modern cavendish. A touch of burley makes the blend smooth. This flake offers you a natural sweet taste of tobacco and a hint of sweet, ripe fruit.

Notes: Apparently available only in Asia currently.

BrandMac Baren
2.0
Leftynick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Leftynick (1)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the cheapest flake tobacco I can get from my local tobacco shop. The packaging is very deceiving, red and yellow almost the same like Erinmore Flake pouch from over the counter.

I am not interested at first because of I think it is cheap brand trying to imitate Erinmore Flake because it is the most recognized pipe tobacco in my place. However, upon closer inspection I found that this is made by Mac Baren made me want to try it. After all, I am a fan of their Vanilla Cream flake.

The tobacco came in a pouch but with hard plastic container inside the pouch that sealed with aluminium foil. When I first opened it, I can immediately smell the flavoring, prominently apricot smell (almost cough syrupy smell). The tobacco come in thinly sliced flakes, with good moisture content that can be very easy to rub. Mine has some flake broken as it is not very neatly stacked so I just immediately rub the pieces out.

Packed it in my Briar pipe and started my charring light. The smell from charring lights confirmed my taste bud that the flavor is indeed apricot with some peach in the background. After that the true lighting I immediately realize why this is so cheap. The smoke immediately bite my tongue with hot steam. So I think it needed drying time first.

I light it again after 30 minutes leaving it. It still bite, no matter how slow I go. The first half of the bowl is just hot steam that burn my tongue and the roof of my mouth. However I just can't stop puffing. The tobacco taste is good if it weren't for the bite. I can taste the apricot and peach from each puff, really complimenting the virginia citrus and fruity, with sweetness of cavendish.

The second half of the bowl finally the bite stopped. During this time I can really taste the true tobacco, as the apricot and peach taste subside and nuttyness of the Burley come through. the cavendish provide sweetness for the second half of the bowl and virginia fruity taste come through here and there. The final quarter of the bowl bring back the apricot taste as a reminder. The burn is consistent all through the bowl, doesn't need relight even when I put it down for few minutes (because it smoke really hot and to rest my tongue a bit)

This is a good enough tobacco if not for the tongue bite. I tried many ways to smoke this, air dry for 30 minutes, 2 hour , a night, rubbed, folded. The bite reduced somehow after drying a night but it still persist. After almost give up smoking this (tongue and roof of my mouth feel like I am drinking hot water directly from kettle),I thought of jarring it for few months. I decided to try it last before jarring in my DIY corn cob pipe folded. In corn cob, the bite reduced to the point it is smokable if I sip it slowly.

This will earn 3 star review from me if not for bite issues. The tobacco taste is good, apricot casing really compliment the true tobacco taste and the smoke volume is very good. I recommend using corn cob for this one to reduce the bite . I think this are not available globally but in my country (Malaysia) this can be easily obtained from any convenient store like 7-11.

Pipe Used: briar, corncob