Virginia tobaccos blended with Burley, suitable for the established pipe smoker. Rich cool satisfying flavour.

BrandPlayer's
Blended ByJohn Player & Sons
Blend TypeVirginia/Burley
Strength
Taste
Full
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable to Strong
3.4
hagen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hagen (91)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Mmmm. I love St. Bruno - and this, my fellow pipesmokers, is be St. Bruno without the berryish flavouring. A Virginia base, a healthy dose of Kentucky. (so, I've changed the "curing group" from "air" to "flue-cured") That's all. Stoved. Nice humidity, ready to smoke. A slight sweetness. Great depth. Quite strong in nicotine. For a tobacco with a large content of Kentucky, relights and DGT is exceptionally good.

PiperOne Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PiperOne (1)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I smoked Players Digger Flake for many years and have not yet found a suitable and satisfying replacement. I have tried the substitute fron Exeter and was extremely disappointed as it totally lacked. what I would describe as, the fruitiness of Digger. It was never harsh, always slow burning and had a high resistance to drying out. I have tried many of the brands currently available without success. I will keep on trying! My review is as I remember the true Digger!!

Pipe Used: Barling, Dr Plumb, Peterson, The Pipe and others

Bluenoser Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluenoser (34)
Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I solidly agree with all the previous reviewers who reference Digger Flake to St.Bruno Flake. Really and truely a wonderful blend with mounds of British flavour.......which is the way flake tobacco should taste. Thanks to Martin at Exeter for extending his service and inventory to Canadian customers like me.

Juna Gu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Juna Gu (31)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Well I used to smoke this back in 1997 when I guess it was the Real Thing. I wish I could still get it; I remember it was a really good smoke.

I can't say much more about it than that. I haven't tried any of the stuff that is knocking about these days - haven't seen it anywhere.

Pipemanuk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipemanuk (76)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Well first thing is that it gives me great pleasure to let you know that this is still available from McGaheys of Exeter...he tells me that it is used now as a base for tobacconists blending their own mixtures; but having received 100g this morning I can testify that this IS the original, still alive and kicking! So get online and order yourself some.

I remember this stuff, powerful, earthy and leathery scents of a classic British pipe tobacco. This is the stuff your fathers and grandfathers smoked in years gone by. It bears a family resemblance to Condor Long Cut and St Bruno...if you like them, you will like this. At the same time it has a scent of it's own and holds it's own against CLC and SB.

There must be a lot of burley in the blend...it's that taste that predominates right through the bowl. I'd advise you packing the pipe and leaving it for a while to dry a little or you will need a good few relights...not that DGT here is a bad thing at all. From start to finish theres a meaty, leathery taste sort of on the lines of Irish Flake, but with nuances much closer to St Bruno. Vitamin N is in abundance but not overwhelmingly so...at least for this puffer...though I know your sensitivities will be different to mine.

I hovered between 3 and 4 stars here...I've always wished we could have 5 stars to award, because there is a difference between excellent and outstanding in my opinion...I would award 4 out of 5 for sure here, but given the circumstances I think it just deserves 4.

Just go and order some and let us know how you find this venerable old British tobacco ok!

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (87)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

I miss reviews by 'Grimpeur'. I hope he is well. Now, on to the actor in our little drama. Digger Flake is a hardy, no- frills burley flake of stout character. It isn't friendly, accomodating or even refined. However, such negative adjectives still appeal to some, and I am in present company. DF is not easy to locate but for my money, it is THE burley flake. I wish I could smoke it often but as an occasional enjoinder it is magnificent. Uniform, powerful, slow to burn and all too quickly, gone.

grimpeur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grimpeur (45)
Very Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

A flake that I used to smoke once in a long while, it's been longer than usual since my last encounter because it's not available any more!

Or wasn't until recently. At the moment, it can be purchased as a six inch flake, bulk. Apparently, it's an experimental re-introduction by Imperial Tobacco.

What can I say about Digger? Try smoking Cob Flake (a.k.a., 1792 Flake) minus the tonquin and what little Virginia sweetness there is, and to make up for the loss, substitute an extremely earthy Burley taste. And there you have Digger Flake. Exceptionally strong, taste and nicotine, not at all sweet, easy to smoke, and no longer available with the little portrait of a Digger on the package. Nice every so often, but I would rather have Mac Baren's Navy Flake, or, in a pinch, Edgeworth Slices, to satisfy the craving for Burley.