Like its namesake conduit to the majestic Rocky Mountains, this mixture of black Cavendish and red Virginia leaf — adorned with the subtle spice of Perique and topped with the flavors of vanilla and applejack — makes for an awe-inspiring experience

ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley, Perique, Virginia
Taste
Sweet Leaf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sweet Leaf (8)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Arrived moist in pouch, set it out to dry for 30 minutes. Bag consist of mainly brown and black tobacco. Virginia's were mainly bready and the burly's tasted of molasses. The black cavendish was front and center with the topping adding a sweet mild honey flavor. Very nice aromatic, the topping did not drowned out the tobacco taste. I can barely taste the Perique at all. I think it may be adding a slight Plum flavor

Pipe Used: Savinelli

Purchased From: Smoking pipes

UncleSquinty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleSquinty (26)

This review is based solely on first impressions after smoking only a couple bowls, so take it for what its worth.

Perique? What perique? I don't taste it, although it may contribute a bit to the fruity side of the flavor profile. It certainly adds no pepper. To me, this tastes almost like a straight Cavendish, although I'll accept the fact that other tobaccos are used in this blend.

Toppings are generously applied but not overly done. Smoked slowly in a corncob pipe, this burns down to mottled grey ash with a few bits of carbon and slightly less than average aromatic goop.

The liquor used to top this is apple jack. Apple jack is ice distilled from hard cider; the cider is left to freeze and the ice scraped from the top of the frozen cider. What remains is strong cider with an average alcohol content of around 10%, nearly double the strength of most hard ciders. This boozy concoction adds a lot of apple aroma and hint of alcohol to the pouch note, but ends up making the smoke taste a bit sour and fruity. The overall profile is a vanilla Cavendish flavor with just a little fruit in the background.

Mechanically, this earns a grade of B-minus. It can be abit hard to keep lit unless it has been dried a bit. A loose initial pack followed by frequent gentle tamping will ensure a steady burn to the bottom of the bowl.

I like this one, because it is different from most other aeros I enjoy. I can recommend this, but I won't give it 4 stars. There are better aeros available. I am glad I bought a 2 ounce bag to try, and I will finish the bag but at this point do not see myself reordering this.

Pipe Used: M.M. Legend and Country Gentleman

Age When Smoked: Fresh bulk

Purchased From: Online retailer

Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

Cornell & Diehl - Granby Station.

The blend has an intriguing appearance, many shapes and colours. The aroma from it has a touch of sharp apples in there. It arrived at a smokeable moistness.

The smoke? I've never drank applejack so can't comment on the authenticity of the aromatic addition here, but what I can comment on is the way the smoke tastes to me. The main tobacco flavour's a VaBur one, sweetened with black Cavendish and hardly any Perique. The vanilla addition tastes nice, there's just enough to identify it, but the applejack has a flavour which is just bitter and sour; nowhere near as sweet as I'd have liked.

Nicotine: mild to medium. Room-note: pleasant.

Granby Station? Although the applejack topping ruins the smoke I'll give it two stars based on the tobaccos and vanilla:

Somewhat recommended.