A blend of Virginia, Burley and Cavendish tobaccos. Fruity cherry flavour. Cool smoking.

BrandDanske Club
Blended ByScandinavian Tobacco Group
ContentsBurley, Cavendish, Virginia
FlavoringCherry
Packaging50g Pouch
Strength
Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium
Medium, Strong, Very Strong
Taste
Mild, Medium to Full, Full
1.7
Mild Very Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

I first tried this blend back when I was totally dedicated to the BCs and full aromatics. That was in the early 1990s. Even then, I dropped this blend after a single pouch.

I have already elaborated on how Danske Club, after having been a supplier of quality blends, was turned into a bit of a joke by the new owners; I don't think I have to go through that again (and I'd hate to, the story regularly makes me want to upchuck). Let me merely say that the "Cherry Mild!" was one of the new blends introduced after the new owners took over and killed off most of the previous offerings.

Back then, the sweetness appealed to me. I recently tried another few pipes after picking up a sample from my trusted tobacconist (who, to be fair, could not believe I would sample this blend!). The good memories seem to be gone; the bad bits reinforced: I guess having smoked higher-quality blends for the past 15 years gives me a little bias.

Anyway, while the pouch aroma is heavily cherrily fruity, the blend tends to burn hot (like most "cheap" aromatics), and the taste is not so much cherry as cocoa, leaving me to conclude that the base tobacco is Burley. Which, as such, is not necessarily bad. Unfortunately, this blend is so heavily overcased that after about 1/3rd of a pipeful, the original fruit notes begin to be overwhelmed by tar. and even for me as a filter smoker, there is quite a lot of condensation even if smoked slowly.

Sorry, folks. If you absolutely love cherry, try it; it might be worth the attempt. Otherwise, I would recommend to strongly avoid.

Watson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Watson (20)
Mild to Medium Strong Mild Pleasant

Ok, my first experience with this one was back in the 1996 when my uncle sent me a pouch from Germany. I could not believe that there is so pleasant aroma and taste. My room smelled like a cherry pie... but recently I bought a tin and the result was not the same. It' s a classic Danish, but not as the same quality as the Stanwells are... Gives a little tongue bite and moistures the pipe... if you are in aromatics you may try it, but not for every day smoking...

JGeisler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JGeisler (5)
Medium Medium Full Very Pleasant

A friend of mine brought some of this back from a trip to Germany and gave me a pouch of it. It has a strong cherry odor and the taste is so sweet it is like candy. It smells really good and the wife will find that a plus. If you like cherries you will probably like this blend but if you don't like aromatics you will probably not. For the most part I usually don't smoke the aromatic blends but found this to be tolerable and never got a bite from it throughout the bowl. I don't smoke it often or in my favorite pipes but it is fun to burn a bowl once in a while if you're in the mood for something sweet. I mixed it with some Virginia #1 and it toned down the sweetness some as well as taking some of the bite out of the Virginia. The mix was better than either blend.