A base of sweet Virginias with spicy depth in various cuts and some black cavendish, spiced with perique and Orientals.

BrandMotzek
Strength
Taste
DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (159)

I got a generous sample of S. Curly Mixture to my last order at Motzek. Sadly, I diddn't get any Curlys in my sample (or they were all crushed while transport), but still this tobacco is a joy to smoke.

Smell from the bag is (again - like almost all Motzek blends) inconspicious, yet it offers enough to smell, so that you get teased. The name "Sweet Curly" is apt, as the first nuance i perceive is a sweetish (honey- and maple-like) smell with underlying spiciness. Slightly hay-ish notes, along with a whiff of citrus that makes a lively impression. Not overpowering sweet, yet the sweetness is there!

The appearance (even tho my sample diddn't have Curlys) is appetizing and shines with golden-yellow, to brown tones, as well as some pale yellow/almost beige leafs (Orientals?)

On first light you get a good sense of the Orientals presence, as they are come with a nice ethereal feeling. With a lot of woodsy-sour notes and a bit of earth. The Virginias (contrary to the smell) offer only little hay-ish notes, but a lot of tasty earthy notes, which complement the Orientals at it's best. The Perique is a minor player and offers a tad of peppery tanginess and pleasant spice. Black Cavendish is once again the chameleon and is hard for me to grasp. Maybe it delivers the honey- and maple-ish sweetness, that's less prominent than in the smell, yet always present and a good contrast to the spice of this blend.

On the german Motzek website, you can also review the blends. One of them stated, that it's "somewhere between Acadian Perique and Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls" - and I partly agree on that. As I haven't smoked Deluxe Navy Rolls, I can't comment on that, yet Acadian Perique is very similar to Sweet Curly Mixture. The Oriental-feeling is 99% the same (maybe they used the same leafs), like those in Acadian Perique. I'd consider Acadian Perique to be less spicy tho. Overall S. Curly Mixture wins for me over Acadian Perique, as I simply like S. Curlys taste a tad more.

Very pleasant smoke, that would be a enrichment for my tobacco-rotation, guess by times I'll grab a 100g bag of it. Not what I consider a "All-Day-Smoke", yet for people who are big into Orientals this one might well be a "All-Day"!

3.5/4 stars - Acadian Perique is a tad better to me, yet somewhere in the same alley (taste-, quality- and naturalness-wise). Still highly recommended to anyone who likes Acadian Perique, and/or enjoys a Oriental forward blend.

Pipe Used: Clay Pipe

Similar Blends: Mac Baren - HH Acadian Perique.