Low Country's Natural Virginia & Burley: Select Old Belt red Virginias are blended with a healthy measure of dark Burley leaf, resulting in a sweet, yet nutty smoking experience.

BrandLow Country Pipe & Cigar
Blend TypeVirginia/Burley
Strength
Taste
Full
Unnoticeable, Very Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable
Troy_nov1965 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Troy_nov1965 (10)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Unnoticeable

I recently purchased 8oz's of this wonderful tobacco from Smokingpipes.com. At less than 20 dollars a pound and blended by C&D intrigued me enough to give it a try. I am glad i did!

Mostly dark burley of very good quality.The Va. is a very minor player that was almost undetectable at first. I smoked 4-5 bowls as it arrived which was very dry. It was slightly harsh and bitter if smoked to hot and too fast. I hydrated it overnight and it improved the tobacco. The sweetness of the Va. was more present and the harshness and bitterness was all but gone. The flavor is upfront burley goodness, woodsy, slightly cocoa, nutty, slightly spicey ( maduro cigar leaf like). The Va, in the background adds just enough sweetness. No flavorings or toppings. It has a good nicotine hit as well. I got no bite from it and could be all day smoke for me. It sort of reminds me of Old Joe Krantz without the perique

I plan to order a couple more pounds shortly. Easily a 4 star blend and the price just makes it even better. This one of the few blends i have not thought of adding something to it to make it better. This would make a fine base burley if you wanted to add some latakia , perique or orientals, but i like it as is and can not smoke enough of it.

If you are a burley lover give this a try.

Pipe Used: Various types, mostly pre war American pipes

Purchased From: Smokingpipes

Similar Blends: OJK without perique.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The tobacco came at a good level of hydration for me. It is a mix of tan and brown tobacco in a medium ribbon. There are some irregular chopped bits, but it is really a ribbon and not fish flake.

This was a delightful smoke. It is a little sweeter than expected, and there is a slight bitter edge to the burley - especially in the last half of the bowl. It was easy to smoke at a good pace, and the flavor was good. There is a little earth from the burley, and the Virginia presents as grassy with no citrus notes. The description says nutty, but I am not getting much of that. What I am getting may be the power of suggestion. The nicotine level may be a little high to be an all-day smoke for some, but it suits me.

The price point is very good. I just ordered a pound bag, so this is really a 3.5 on my scale. It is easy to recommend to someone (not sensitive to nicotine) who wants a quality VaBur that is untopped. This is very good.

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (178)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

This is a very tasty, yet budget VaBur. It has plenty of malt and bread flavours and some citrus sparkle. It fills the palate.

Comes quite dry and packs and burns without fuss. Strength is a very personal matter, and my preferences are towards lighter tobaccos when it comes to nicotine, but the salient feature of this baccy for me was its strength. Well outside of my comfort zone, but I am sure this will be right up the street of some pipesters.

It reminded me of Royal Yacht, tho without that baccy's flavouring. I'm not getting much in the way of Burley coco or nuttiness, but that might just be me.

Like the other bulk LC tobaccos, this would suit DIYers wanting to tweak their blends, but it smokes well as it is. Not an all day smoke, unless you are a nicotine junky, but does me well as a change up smoke.

Pipe Used: Cobs

Jorge Soler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jorge Soler (117)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Very Pleasant

I am glad I've come across this tobacco. For starters, it has one of the nicest room-notes for a VaBur I've ever encountered. I cannot detect any added flavours or toppings, but the smoking experience is all about the nutty flavour and sweet virginia leaf it contains. Somewhat similar to Haunted Bookshop, but lacking the nicotine punch in the end and the spicy notes of the perique. The moist content is rather high, but it smokes perfectly fine straight out of the bag and does not need any drying time at all. Also, it seems to burn faster than expected, but not hot in any case. And the fact this is a burley blend with no added flavours means you get no tongue-bite. It seems to develop a very light rough edge towards the last quarter of your bowl, but this is to be expected from most burley blends. This blend gravitates more on the burley side of the argument than the virginia's, but the latter adds support, sweetness and softens its rough edge. Its nutty dimension is truly remarkable and at this price tag it really is a steal. It can be an all-day smoke, both for the morning and evening sessions. Taking all of this into account, its only fair to give it a solid 4 stars rating.