A mixture of pressure and heat pressed to the "cake". From black cavendish, cavendish, Virginia and 40% perique tobaccos. For real perique fans and lovers of old recipes.

BrandMotzek
Strength
Taste

DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (186)

Yet another superior tobacco by Tom Darasz (TAK / Motzek).

Smell from the bag is deep fruity, with a tad of sourness.

The tobacco consists of 40% Perique, Virginia and a tad of Black Cavendish. Perique delivers delicious fruity notes of plums, a bit of figs and maybe a whiff of oranges/tangerines along with a pleasing peppery spice. Also a tad of sour-notes lurk in the back, that isn't annoying at all. The power of 40% Perique is tamed by sweetish, slightly citrusy Virginias that also deliver a bit of wood and earth by times. Black Cavendish rounds the blend and by times I get toasty notes.

Black & Gold Crumble's taste is outstandingly good. All ingridients are melted into a deep and rich fruity-sweet taste that is one of the finest smokes I ever had.

Crumble Cakes appereance is appetizing and true to it's name it's deep black with golden sparkles. The cake isn't very dense and can be broken - or crumbled apart very easy. It's a joy to handle this tobacco. Break a piece of, crumble it, fill it, enjoy it!

Superior tobacco, that everyone who likes Perique taste should try. This is very different than your average Va/Per, with a different taste-profile.

EDIT: As this comes pretty moist, I suggest you to experiment with drying times. At the beginning, I smoked this pretty moist, almost wet with only 5-15 minutes of drying, or even sometimes none. Now I tried drying out for longer periods and found out the longer you dry it out, the spicier, almost sharp it get's and looses it's above stated "roasted and toasted taste". But it gains good Pepper. Both ways are pleasant, even tho I prefer smoking it moist as I like this fermented taste. Just play around with drying times. ;-)

4/4 stars - Not a single moment of hestitation! Price of 17€ for 100g(!!; usually you pay 10-14€ for 50g of a tobacco of this quality in Germany) makes it a no-brainer for my daily rotation.

I'm afraid I won't be able to try many other manufacturers blends, as Motzek's offerings are so damn addictingly good for my taste!

Pipe Used: Clay Pipe / Various Briars

Purchased From: Motzek / TAK

Similar Blends: there's no Perique blend like this, at least I don't know of any, if you do please tell me!.