Hoyo de Monterrey combines a burley base with black cavendish and choice bright Virginias. Subtly flavored with vanilla, it features a pleasant top note that only adds to this blend's great aroma.

BrandLane Limited
Blended ByLane Limited
Manufactured ByLane Limited
FlavoringVanilla
Packaging1.75oz Tin
Strength
Taste
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Lane Limited - Hoyo de Monterrey.

The name puzzles me, it's nothing like a Hoyo' cigar!

The blend includes quite an even amount of each tobacco variety, is a fairly uniform ribbon, and isn't too wet. The smell from the tin is clearly one of vanilla; I couldn't remember the ingredients in this but I didn't need to read the description once I'd took a sniff.

The first bowl didn't exactly impress me, it seemed a bit of a bore. But it began to grow on me over the morning! I get an unequivocal vanilla flavour from the smoke, stronger for the initial part of a bowl, and abating to being just below medium. The tobaccos have more of a BurCav flavour than they do Virginia; there's no zesty Va traits, but lots of nuts with a touch of honey. The smoke is exceptionally thick and cool, without a bite to be had from it. The burn from Hoyo is of a medium speed, but can go a bit quickly if it's puffed too avariciously.

The room becomes a bit full of smoke, and the nicotine's mild.

I want to give Hoyo de Monterrey a high rating, but I think, to be fair, it isn't any better than a lot of the other vanilla aromatics out there. With that in mind, three stars seems fair!

Recommended.