A cool smoking blend of Virginia and Burley tobaccos with a sweet aromatic top note.

BrandCraven
Strength
Taste
1.9
TheJayBee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheJayBee (55)
Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable to Strong

Oh dear, where should I begin on this... The smell from the pack is actually OK, smells like caramel/molasses; nothing too interesting. The smoke itself is cool but it has some tongue bite and the taste is just flat soooo flaaaaaat. I actually had the taste of really old banana with this stuff. Just avoid this stuff please. This goes as one of the worst tobaccos I have ever tasted. Runner up to Brokum Riff tobaccos.

Tobacconists Aprentice Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tobacconists Aprentice (20)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

In my search for a light virginia burley mix to blend with heavy cased tobaccos I tried this. It was ok, but just would not do. I have tasted far better for blending.

The tin-note was of quite ordinary smelling virginia with a light woody spice from the burley.

it was reasonable to fill, and lit well, a little too well infact as it burnt rather fast and hot. The taste was a mild and rather bland and it tended to bite if drawn too hard.

The room note was pleasing and light and smelt better than the tobacco tasted.

Not horrible but not fantastic a tollerable smoke for a light aromatic bend.

renwardhoop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renwardhoop (59)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Unnoticeable

Some very interesting observations on this tobacco.

Like DrDyson I too have great affection for Craven as a manufacturer recalling my days of cigarette smoking in the 70's with the likes of Black Cat.

Also, like Ex20 I found the contents of this pouch was dryer than a teenagers toothbrush and the consistency, indeed, like old leaf tea.

It was taken back and I insisted the Tesco's personage checked all of the pouches before settling on one that seemed to have retained some moisture. I bet Tesco's won't withdraw those I rejected, and some other poor sod get a dry pack. I have a suspicion that they don't sell many of these anyway...

Ah yes the tobacco.

Dry it certainly is and a pleasant pouch aroma. It has a mild creamy taste, but no room note at all. It's pretty ordinary really and not a million miles from Gold Block.

Together with Gold Block this blend is possibly the best of the supermarket brands.

Stewiebob69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stewiebob69 (7)

This tobacco was recommended to me by a kindly Scottish gentleman on PSF, and I'm glad I trusted his judgement, as he is a knowledgeable & experienced pipe smoker.

Pack Smell: A light toffee & biscuit (digestive) smell with an overlay of heather and light floral fragrance.I knew that I'd like the smoke as soon as I smelled it.

Taste & flavour: I wasn't disappointed. Just like the pack smell really. Very smooth and cool smoke, and leaves a pleasant taste in the mouth after smoking too. Need to draw at it lightly so it burns lightly.

Room note: light & pleasant.

It's like ronseal, it's everything it says on the pack.

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (113)
Mild to Medium Strong Mild to Medium Very Strong

I have a lingering affection for the Craven name, and a sort of forlorn hope of one day stumbling upon a fully satisfactory Craven Mixture sub (any suggestions?); so I thought I'd give this a go to see if it's any better than the Craven Ready Rubbed that has been so soundly thrashed elsewhere in these reviews.

The man who invented or blended this abomination ought to have been boiled in oil; or, even better, made to smoke it. I confess that I haven't smoked much of it; but I didn't need to. I bought some at Tesco's, took it home and lit up. Shortly afterwards, Klio (cat) left the room with a reproachful look and went outside to bother some mice; I was left alone with this apology for a tobacco. SWMBO was out, fortunately, or I should have been in real trouble.

This is desperate stuff. I feel much more strongly about it than previous reviewers, for some reason. Like its ready rubbed brother, Craven Aromatic is in my view dreadful: coarse, cheap, nasty, and an offence to all right-thinking nostrils. It's admittedly cool and slow-burning; but if ‘aromatic' means ‘smells fit to render you senseless', this is aromatic and then some. Smoke it, and death will lose its sting, but you won't have any friends. This is the worst kind of mass-produced supermarket floor-sweepings, with added smell.

I see that it has its devotees. Well, best of luck to you, says I; each to his own, etc.. Strange, how tastes can vary. Personally, I wouldn't put a match to this sorry concoction again for all the rice in China. A 100% no-no, as far as I'm concerned: awful, awful, awful.

ROMMER Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ROMMER (17)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

Well I feel that I should put the record straight here a little because Cravan Aromatic has been around for a long time and deserves at least some support. For a start it is the very best pipe tobacco I have ever found over the supermaret counter. It is not harsh and heady like clan, but it is a beautiful and rich aromatic. It burns very slow but with a great nicotine hit so you will not need to keep on refilling after a couple of draws. This is a great tobacco and one that I hope is around for ever.

John Craven ;)

garydobbs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
garydobbs (15)

It burns nice and slow and is not too bad at all in the taste department - reminds me a lot of Clan but with a fainter taste. As a supermarket brand it's much like any other and nothing special. But it is a pleasing smoke and does what it says on the tin.

ex20adayman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ex20adayman (30)

This, along with Clan, was one of the first pipe tobaccos I bought - being readily available in 25g pouches. As soon as I opened the pouch I figured something was wrong, although it smelled OK it had the consistency and dryness of loose tea. I smoked about four harsh bowls of the stuff and was going to bin the rest but thought better of it and sent it back to BAT. They replaced it with a new pouch - see below.

The tobacco is moist in the pouch with a sweet mild fruit smell. Easy to pack in the pipe and burns well. However the flavour is pretty nondescript and the smoke has a peppery aftertaste that irritates the back of the nostrils. It doesn't offend but if you're looking for a readily available aromatic seek out Clan or Erinmore as they are much more tasty. This is pretty bland and rough.

Good room note as it says on the pouch - "appreciated by the smoker and those around him"

Holy Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Holy Smoke (26)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

There's not much that can be said about Craven Aromatic: it's just another one of those middle of the road 'supermarket' aromatics.

This is a rather dark mixture of pressed virginias, lighter ribbon and rough-cut leaf. It's scent is not very distinct, being a mix of dried vegetable with a flat fruity note.

Sadly Craven doesn't manage to clearly distinguish itself when smoked. Having a slightly limey back and a generic summer fruit casing that dominates the centre, that is common to countless aromatics.

Nothing to write home about, or to write any more about.