Following in the tradition of La Gloria Cubana cigars, La Gloria Cubana pipe tobacco combines good measures of Cyprian latakia, sweet Virginias, and the rich, floral notes of Oriental leaf, finished with a subtle touch of perique for a bit of spice.

BrandLane Limited

3.8
Mike Castello Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike Castello (5)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

I have been smoking La Gloria since it's arrival a few months ago. It quickly became one of my favorite blends. I will give you the reasons for this. Most importantly English blends are my preference followed by Virginia blends, but English by a large margin. Next is the flavor. This is tasty in the truest English sense. It is not going to bowl you over, but come on as a mellow blend that can be smoked any time of day for as many bowls as you choose. Next are the little things like it packs easily. It stays lit. It's smooth even to the bottom of the bowl. My experience with La Gloria differs a bit from the reviews already posted. I think it is helpful to know that I have not experienced any bite from La Gloria. Just the opposite in fact. I have smoked the blend several times in succession without any mishaps what so ever. On the issue of nicotine I am very sensitive. I am a nic wimp! La Gloria does not speak nicotine to me at all. For me the essential reason to smoke any particular tobacco blend is it's taste. If it doesn't taste good I will not smoke it. Just like with food. If I have a choice between something that tastes good and something that does not have a taste that appeals to me the choice is clear. The same with tobacco. La Gloria is full with flavor. Not only is it typical English but there are abundant high notes that makes it sparkle. I like to use music as a metaphor when describing tobacco tastes. The blend is a musical score. The orchestration needs to have balance and depth. The tobacco needs high notes or it will taste dull, even boring. The mid range is the body of the flavor. The low notes give strength, the driving force of the blend. La Gloria is orchestrated to near perfection. It is a beautiful sound, a beautiful flavor. Enough said.

Pipe Used: Castello

Age When Smoked: less than 1 year

Similar Blends: John Cotton 1and 2, Squadron Leader.

Lane Limited - La Gloria Cubana.

Going on the name and picture of a lady smoking a cigar on the tin I expected a blend containing cigar leaf, but this is a cigar-free smoke!

The blend's quite appealing on the eye: coarse ribbons, some black, some brown (medium and dark), and some yellow. The moisture of this tin was perfect the second I opened it.

La Gloria' couldn't be any easier to get burning, and my initial thought on my first bowl was "spicy little number"! The Oriental and Perique dominate the first quarter, it tastes like there's more than just a pinch of Perique; as per the description. The Latakia gives more wood than smoke, and reduces the temperature. The Oriental leaf really makes this sparkle, giving extra pizazz, keeping strength of flavour once the Perique begins to abate. A little issue for me is tongue bite, it doesn't 'hurt', but gives me a slight nudge if it's not sipped. The burn from L.G.C. is a little fast, I prefer a large bowl of it otherwise it's over too quickly, and the temperature's about medium.

The nicotine makes this a suitable morning smoke: quite strong, and the room-note's quite pleasant, albeit a little heavy.

To me, even though it bites a touch, it's easily worth full marks:

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Chacom for this review

CherchezLaghost Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CherchezLaghost (48)

I really, really like this one. It was offered up at a pipe club meeting, and i nearly passed on it as i presumed it was a cigar leaf blend. Not so. This is a lane offering, and i can't say what is the connection with LGC. Probably a simple licensing of name. Regardless, this is a tart, deliciously bright and fragrant English mixture. The oriental/perique/latakia are melded well into a tangy (almost tart) effervescent bright flavor. The va here bring some subtle sweetness and depth. It hints at orange zest while retaining the incense and wood. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a very mild light topping, but it greatly improves the smoke and is in no way distracting. Nicotine seems mild to medium and it smokes coolly without bite. Easy to recommend and well worth a try. A truly tasty, soothing blend.

Pipe Used: Cobs

Purchased From: Smokers Haven

Similar Blends: Bosphorus Cruise.

Daniel W. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Daniel W. (23)

I like this tobacco, it burns very well, has medium to low body. Medium acidity, low bitterness, and a little sweet and spice. The aftertaste is kind of rubber-like, however it is very enjoyable. Good for an everyday tobacco.

Pipe Used: Savinelli 101 Oscar Lucite