The first flake tobacco, which is spicy without any latakia added to it, and which still is mild to the tongue. Virginia and Kentucky round off this new taste.

BrandPeter Heinrichs
Strength
Taste
DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (159)

If I had only read the description on the website, I had thought twice about buying this tobacco. Doesn't sound bad - but also like nothing special. Luckily I bought this tobacco, as I took a sniff out of the tin in the Shop of Peter Heinrichs in Bergheim (Germany) and said - pack that for me!

EDIT (3rd July '17): I revisited this tobacco today, as I took a sample of it last time I vistited Peter Heinrichs shop. Somehow I must've forgotten, I already had this tobacco :-D. Back then I was lacking words to describe what I tasted, I tried to expand the review today and re-wrote it.

223's smell when unburnt is a astonishment, as it smells pretty close to a straight VA, or Orliks Golden Sliced f.e. No Kentucky to be found in the smell, but a refreshing citrusy and slightly sweet scent is spoiling your nose.

The flake comes rather on the dry side, in perfect smoking condition. Takes the fire well, stays lit perfectly, burns flawless.

No. 223s taste is very natural and true to the word "tobacco"! On first light I perceive a slightly citrusy-sweet aroma, before a bready note, reminding of full-rye-bread joins in. The Kentucky is a minor player, but helps adding depth and body to the blend. It has a decently nutty quality, which hamonizes perfectly with the bready taste of the Virginias. Also peppery spice, that's a tad earthy. A very mild honey-ish sweetness is always present. Virginia and Kentucky fuse into one, and result in a genuine flavour-profile, which is uncomplicated, unspoiled, and rather simple. Yet it has enough depth and spice to it and isn't boring, nor one-dimensional at all.

Sometimes less is more! No. 223 is the proof for it, with it's simple composition and spartanic description. It's very bready, and tobacco-ey taste is simple, yet tastily with a solid body and a natural charm.

A 4/4 stars worthy blend, that's surprising you with very natural tobacco-goodness. Virginia spiced with Kentucky in just the right ratio to create a unique blend, that is very suitable as an "All-Day-Smoke" to both, the straight Virginia lover, who like a tad more spice as a change of pace, as well as the Kentucky lover, who likes a all-day-suitable Kentucky blend, that can also be enjoyed after breakfast, without being overwhelming.

Pipe Used: Clay Pipes / Various Briars