Full bodied with cool, slow burning positive smoking characteristics.

BrandCondor
Blended ByGallaher Limited
FlavoringAlcohol / Liquor, Other / Misc
Packaging50g Pouch
Strength
Strong
Taste
Full

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

4 stars, it's all been said, a classic English lakeland style blend, easily available everywhere in the UK and Ireland....it's a must try and buy when visiting the islands. 2 Warnings: it will ghost with that lavender flavor AND, bring some extra cash on holidays....7.50 euros for a 25grm packet...ouch!

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

Along with the various floral and herbal scents, something in the aroma of this thinly cut, ready-rubbed flake reminds me of Drum rolling tobacco along.

Primarily fire-cured virginias and burleys, the flavor is very rich and moderately sweet. The floral topping compliments the flavor nicely.

A flavorsome and companionable smoke, Condor would be a dependable all-day choice for those who's tastes run to the richer end of the scale. It will quickly ghost a briar. This went well in a chamber of any gauge.

smokemonkey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokemonkey (3)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Strong

Oh I love this tobacco and as a standard over the counter sale general tobacco makes it even more remarkable.. lol soapy, nooo it's the balsamic taste due to adding pine chips during the smoke curing process. it's the taste of the orient, of exotic Lebanese cedars blah blah and you say 'soapy'.. giggle.. a very typical English lakeland blend with a twist.. try it.. you may not hate it..

Pipe Used: all sorts but my parker jockey zulu mostly

Age When Smoked: new-as i can't wait not to smoke

Purchased From: everywhere

Breizh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Breizh (7)
Strong Strong Very Full Very Strong

Hmmm still not sure about this tobacco. It has a pungent soapy incense aroma, which actually tastes as it smells, which is not usually the case I find.

It will stay lit all the way to the end of the bowl without re-lighting. It will billow smoke happily right to the end. It will give you a huge nicotine hit, even if smoked slowly, be prepared.

I have to say that I don't really like this tobacco, but I do like its qualities, packs well, stays lit, doesn't loose any flavour at all. Its just a bit too overpowering for me. It does stain a pipe with its flavour too unfortunately.

However it does have a large following, and is easy to find. Definitely a marmite tobacco, not for me I'm afraid, but a good tobacco nonetheless.

Pipe Used: Peterson Killarney

Age When Smoked: From the pouch.

Purchased From: Local petrol station.

Reggietom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Reggietom (7)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Very Strong

Another good 'GO TO', over the counter tobacco. I always have a pouch of this around for those days when a big nicotine hit, Condor Moment, is needed.
Must be be smoked slowly because it will bite your tongue and if you inhale it will knock you back a bit, but I don't mind that.
I smoke it in my Dr Plumb Dinky because it does tend to ghost the pipe.

Pipe Used: Dr Plumb Dinky

Purchased From: Tesco Roborough Plymouth UK

Vanilla Cookie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Vanilla Cookie (3)
Strong Strong Very Full Strong

I bought a pipe via ebay from a fellow in Manchester England. I chatted a bit with him during the transaction about what he smoked. He said he had been enjoying Grousemore recently but he “sucked down packets of Condor regularly”. As I am in the USA I had never heard of Condor and in trying to find it online, I discovered that I couldn't get it here in the USA and the British online stores can't ship it to me because the credit card processing companies restrictions. Mike in Manchester was nice enough to send me five 50 gram packet of Condor RR. (I paid him via Paypal.)

When I received it a loaded up one of my bigger pipes and smoked away. Be careful if you are not used to strong baccy. Condor will spin you out. I had to lie down for a couple of hours. When I recovered and could approach smoking again in a couple of days, I gave a more reasoned try. This is a beautiful smoke! The Virginia is dark and heavy. The smoke is dense. The pipe stays lit even if I put the pipe down for a couple of minutes. It is kind of incensey. I was afraid of the soapy thing found in many reviews, but I like the flavor. The bitterness of the topping balances the sweet of the Virginia so that it's neither sweet nor bitter, much like a well balanced malt/hop beer. This is my favorite tobacco now and thanks to Mike for sending it to me. I have since discovered Mr. Snuff in Ireland sells it online to the USA which I have ordered. Also John Fox sell it and the Condor Plug! It is expensive for USA smokers but well worth it.

Strong Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This holds a place in my heart as when I was discharged from a 1 year stay in hospital I used to smoke this with my father on a Friday night .I am very bias towards this as it is very sentimental to me and it makes a great " GO TO " tobacco as it is very consistent in its availability in the u.k and the flavor is lovely !!

BeamMeUpScotty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BeamMeUpScotty (3)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Was smoking Condor RR 50 years ago. Had a rest from smoking for many years and have come to my senses and realised what has been missing from my life - Condor! Am so happy to find my old friend again having come back to the Pipe. Condor is so readily available still, thank the Lord. Burns so well and really confirms that life still holds so much pleasure for an old guy like me. Bless you Condor.

TheJayBee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheJayBee (48)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

I bought a 25g pouch just to sample this tobacco. I've read lots of "extreme" reviews on this tobacco, from the extremely satisfied, to the extremely dissatisfied. Now I find myself loving this stuff.

Brown tobacco, smells like a true English blend, with herbal and oriental tobacco odours. The description says Virginia, but I also say Oriental, however I am no expert (I've been smoking pipes for a year now). In the pipe, it smokes like heaven with an excellent nicotine hit. A full round taste that lasts in the mouth and taste buds. Very cool smoke, not too "lakelandy" or soapy like some GH or SG tobaccos.

---------------------------

This tobacco fiercely ghosts the pipe you smoke. Even smoking a completely different tobacco, you will mostly feel Condor for a while. Beware!

Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

I have been dreaming of Condor for years. When I started smoking a pipe at the end of the '80s, my tobacconist had Condor Green and Brown. Every time I wanted to buy some, he discouraged me to do so, telling me I would get sick to my stomach, that it was too strong a tobacco for a beginner. When I deemed I was ready, around the mid '90s, he let me buy some St-Bruno Flake. Boy, I should have listened to him. By the end of the '90s, I was convinced I was ready. Sadly, Condor or St-Bruno were no longer available for sale in Canada. At the end of the 2000s, I discovered online tobacconists. I browsed on British shops several times, never sure if I wanted to repeat my infamous experience. I finally ordered some Condor Green, Brown, St - Bruno RR, Walnut Flake and Highland Slices recently. The first one I opened was Condor Green. I have always been fascinated by a pipe tobacco named "Condor". I would like for soeone to explain to me why "Condor"... Anyway, opening the pouch, I met with the already familiar Lakeland District soap aroma I encountered in H & G blends. i was very pleased to see that Condor Green was made of dark & Stoved VAs, which are my favorite. I loaded up a MM Washington, lighted up and was in for an hour treat. Yes, it tastes like soap at first, and it is the weirdest thing to experience. But, soon after, this soap taste fades in the background and is replaced by well aged, deep earthy VAs that are full and satisfying, combined with some sweetnes every once in a while. The flavours do not really evolve, they become bolder as I went my jolly way down the bowl. This is a truly great tobacco. i enjoy it a lot and will order some regularly. You must try Condor Green if you can.

Edsen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Edsen (5)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

New to pipe smoking so tried this OTC brand, Not sue about it maby my taste buds arned mature enough to develop an instant liking, Understand what the others say about soapy and a strong flavoured taste, i like sweet. Smoked in a cob hoever thats the end of the cob. Burned well and no tounge bite. Ive mixed it with an other i didnt like maby hoping it will change into something else eventially floral soapy taste being diluted.

Medium to Strong Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Certainly a fairly strong and perfumed smoke; if neither appeal, stay far, far away. While the scents used are a bit on the strong side for me, it made a nice change of pace. I seem to get a bit more of the underlying tobacco in the folded flake than in the ready-rubbed, while in the latter the scents are a bit stronger.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Strong

i tried this tobacco many years ago and iam glad i didnt review it as my knowledge of tobacco and taste variation was concluded to captain black..not to say i am an english tobacco smoker as i went back to aromatics with arms wide open but i tried my share of non aromatics and this tobacco has improved to my personal rating much more. easy packed and hold the fire very well, mellow and no tongue bite of any kind, strong in the nic department and have a lakeland soapy incence smell and flavor to it, the room note is not some thing that you would please your surrounding with (hell even i didnt like it) but all an all its a very nice otc blend..could use some drying though. to my tatse i found this tobacco to earn its righteous place with a cup of earl gray tea (very complementing taste-wise).

TheRunningPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheRunningPiper (5)
Very Strong Strong Very Full Pleasant

This tobacco is testament to itself.I can recall my childhood memories of pipe smokers and i always remember the smell of this excellent over the counter tobacco.As rich and full flavoured a tobacco as one could wish for.Full aroma of liquer/alcohal backed up by a musty,fruity smell.I enjoy just sipping and allowing the smoke to breeze past my nostrils to gather that full bodied rich aroma.A terrific blend with a nice glass of Irish whiskey after a nice steak meal.I never tire of this traditional english blend,and it occupies a permanent place in my rotation.

LlewBlue Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LlewBlue (2)
Mild Strong Medium to Full Overwhelming

Condor is the ultimate Marmite tobacco! This blend is for anyone who enjoys smoking a tobacco that smells and tastes of carbolic soap and burns very hot and with serious tongue bite. I actually had friends leave the room from the "Palmolive Pong!" At first I thought it was my pipe so I switched to a Peterson Churchwarden in the hopes that it was just my previous blend interfering with the Condor... no such luck; I turn the loveliest shade of Irish Racing Green to match my Churchwarden's bowl and put it aside. And to add insult to injury, my Churchwarden now smells like the washing powder aisle at Tesco's! All I can say is that although some swear by Condon, I think I'm in the opposite camp and swear AT it instead.

Purchased From: Tesco

Similar Blends: Iraqi nerve gas one should think!.

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (74)

...While I prefer the Long Cut, this in short. is a great classic British tobacco!

I have smoked Condor for many years and it has always been in my top 10 tobaccos. Packs, lights, and behaves well in any pipe, and I smoke this throughout the day without issue. I also appreciate the floral/parfume scent, and there is nothing quite like it anywhere.

Agreed...you either love it or dislike it...no in between...I don't reserve any pipe for this and smoke it in all of my pipes. It is now difficult to buy unless you have someone who can send it to you...and I have it shipped to me every 2 months...Never tiring, hardly a day goes by without at least one bowl!

...a pipe is to be savored...

holbiesdad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
holbiesdad (1)
Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have smoked this as Ready Rubbed and Long Cut. They seem to smoke the same so I personally prefer the Ready Rubbed, for the convenience. I have smoked many blends. Aromatic, Virginia and English Blends. I always return to Condor. Simply because it is readily available in the UK. Other reviews comment on the "Soapy" taste. I do not find this. Just a full bodied smoke. However I don't find much flavour in Aromatics, perhaps I have a dull sense of taste. I find the tobacco has perfect moisture from the pouch and packs easily. I never have a problem lighting and Condor smokes cool. I pretty much smoke this all the time. I find the fancier tobaccos are only available online,In my aera I can get Condor at my newsagent or supermarket. I will try other blends from time to time but this remains a firm favourite.

thesmoggypipester Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thesmoggypipester (24)
Strong Strong Very Full Very Strong

Ah the fabled Condor, now on here its marmite, love it or hate it. Now il be honest i can see why, the aromas flavour and strength are propperly strong. It not only puts hairs on your chest its puts hairs on the hairs of your chest. Opening the pack the aromas are gorgeous very floral, liqour and pungent, packing it though is easy and it takes a it of nursing to get lit but once its going then the rollercoaster begins. The flavours are delicious, that almost soapy floral taste transfers through to the smoke, with the underlying liqour and tobacco taste, then the nicotine really starts to build. Now this is the tobacco i was smoking when i finally got the knack of smoking a pipe propperly, i also smoke cigarettes and rolling tobacco and i love the strong kentuckys but smoking this floored me, but i stuck with it and learned to love it. The first bowl i was umming and ahhing over it second i started to get it and then the third its now one of my regular smokes.

If your a newbie dont go for this, you will be left wondering where the hell you are, but if your into your pipe smoking and would like a strong but floral smoke then this one is for you, one tip though if you share a house with none smokers or who dont like the smell of pipe tobacco then expect to be banished outside. Apart from that its one them old time greats, who have stood the test of time and gained a good following, which i am one of them followers, tip though dedicate a pipe to this one because it will ghost the hell out of any pipe you use it in.

Update 5/9/13 So its been almost or over a year since i reviewed this fabled brit otc pipe weed. I recently took a break of around 6 months as i did the classic newbie thing and hoarded so much tobacco i didnt know where the hell i was. In my tobacco box i had a sealed 50g pack of condor which had been sat the 6 months and i thought what better way to break my hiatus.

The few months of age really help bring out the best of condor it still has all the soapy punchy flavours and strength but it delivers all in a much gentler way it really is a cracking relaxing smoke I have found to get the best out of it too smoke in a small bowled pipe (mines an alco) I absolutely love this gem of a smoke, which delivers cool non biting smoke whatever the time It makes me proud to be a brit A solid 4 star rating

jb1991 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jb1991 (4)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Pleasant

I bought this on a whim, merely as a joke, in reality I was hit with a strong soapy, floral and citrus flavour which in a way was quite pleasant, the nicotine hit was strong but tolerable, it is supposedly top dressed with a liquor flavouring similar to cloves or rum but it was fairly subtle at it's strongest, the room note is pleasant also, it's a very calming smoke, it is a blend of air cured virginia's and probably dark fire cured leaf too and I like it very much, even for an "Over The Counter" blend.

A couple of problems though, that "Soapy" flavour ghosts your pipe for a long time, so I'd suggest that you would have a pipe that is dedicated to this blend, secondly it can dry out too quickly and burn rather hot if smoked like this, resulting in some very unwanted toungue bite.

Overall, comparing this to St. Bruno, I prefer this blend when it comes to any OTC blends, I have 2 pipes that are dedicated to it, a Mini Cob and an MM Macarthur, I would say that you should smoke this blend in cobs or a clay, overall, a nice pleasant all round, everyday smoke.

Moe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Moe (45)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Tolerable

Condor is a full flavored, nicotine fortified, love it or hate it blend. I happen to love it. Hard to come by in the states and having it shipped from Europe (unless you live there) will grab your wallet Its strong flavor will haunt your pipe, so smoke it in a meer, or a cob the first time to make sure you like it. I believe cloves to be a flavoring.

henwrench Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
henwrench (16)
Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Floral? Yep Soapy? Yep Cool? Yep Slow Burning? Not for me!!

Admittedly, the prospect of a floral, soapy smoke doesn't sound appealing, but this is one hell of a great smoke any time of day or night. Just get some! No bite, I find a good half hour drying is needed to calm down the soapy edge. I also prefer this in a bigger bowl, loosely packed and I can see her off in about 30 mins, ideal for a quick, strong smoke...

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (98)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

It was with great trepidation that I first opened up the packet to this, my first foray into this tobacco. Having tried Condors' fantastic long cut, I was a little worried that this might be like a bands' difficult second album, or a sequel to a fantastic film, you're never quite sure it will live up to expectations. Luckily, I think, it turned out more Beverly Hills Cop II than III.

The aroma upon first smell was a heady rich mixture of the original movie, SGs' fabled Squadron Leader and a more pleasant incarnation of largely atrocious Mellow Virginia. Packing is fairly easy, though, due to the large ribbons, a little care is needed. This also makes it a little harder to light than most ribbons, but it's no really biggie. The taste in the mouth is just fantastic, a mixture of Long Cut and a nicer Mellow Virginia. The room note is very good, and has a way of just nicely hanging around the place, popping up every so often to provide a pleasant reminder of a thoroughly good smoke.

A very good everyday tobacco, so good in fact, that I smoke it to the exclusion of my other stashes of the naughty leaf and finished my first 50g packet inside a week. It is a heavy smoke though, not for beginners, but can be sampled regular with no big deal once you're used to it. If Condor Long Cut is a fine steak to be eaten best in the evening, this would be a fine bacon - good all day round.

Lukasaurus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lukasaurus (9)
Very Strong Medium Very Full Pleasant

Crikey Moses! This was perhaps the first pipe tobacco I ever tried (when I was younger than I canre to mention!).

Not for the feint hearted, a very bold and powerful aroma indeed. Admittedly a very pleasant room note, but right from braking the seal you can tell its going to be a strong one!

I must say, for all its downfalls, this is a fantastic tobacco. Its just one which should not be touched with a barge pole until you've developed a bit of a pallete and indeed a tolerance to nicotine!

Tounge burn is noticable, and the nocitine hit can leave an unwary smoker wondering where he is. However, if smoked with caution the tobacco is very pleasant, complex and intriguing. A powerful, spicy, sweet tobacco with hints of all sorts, mentionably rum, pepper and spice.

To be enjoyed in the depths of Winter, it will undoubtedly warm your coggles!!

jazzenator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jazzenator (2)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the first tobacco i tried in my pipe. Big mistake. The nicotine hit was so hard that I was left wondering what had happened. Nicotine naivety!! Now that I am slightly more matured in my pipe smoking, quite enjoy this now and then. I generally prefer aromatics but this one is the exception. Beginners beware a must try for the more seasoned ones

paddy1981 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
paddy1981 (4)
Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

No B.S. needed here.

In a word - Fantastic.

A real Gem. Old school tabacco with a lot of class.

Well worth a try (beginners beware, nico hit!!!)

Scamp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scamp (20)
Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

One of the first tobaccos I ever smoked in a pipe. Good, strong old school baccy. In my opinion a good all round smoke. Nuff said.

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (89)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This one took some getting used to for me, in the end I liked it and may get some more while I'm here in europe, but it was a challenging blend. The smell out of the pouch is very soapy with overtones of hay. I recommend this particular blend for cobs and clays. It packs quite easily and for me I found it tasted better in non briar pipes, not sure why, particularly enjoyed smoking it out of my clay, but it seemed to take a natural liking to my MM Diplomat as well. I would be very interested to try the long cut version of this blend, although it is easy to pack, I'm not a huge fan of the way these more finely rubbed blends burn they tend to dry out quickly and burn a bit hot. Good blend worth trying, I would say it is somewhat unique even in it's class, you should devote a pipe to this blend, as it ghosts heavily.

Philosopher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philosopher (27)
Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Pleasant

This has got to be a classic, even if it is very widely available (in the UK most newsagents and grocery stores sell it). A strong, slightly sour aroma, nice dark tobacco, and an unmistakeable taste. Possibly a little harsh sometimes, with the taste seeming to hit the back of the throat. Strong stuff, which should be smoked in a small bowl, or sitting down.

PSLion Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PSLion (2)
Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

This was my first ever tobacco, many moons ago. I'd just managed to get a pipe, and was looking for something to put in it. As this was over the counter (indeed, the only pipe tobacco in my local newsagents at the time) I opted for it and went about enjoying my first smoke.

At first I found the taste quite remarkable, but not in a good way. However, I had read that the first few bowls of any pipe tobacco are rather... odd to anyone who's never smoked a pipe before (or in my case, never smoked anything before) so I stuck with it. I had no idea about technique or pacing myself, so the strength of this brand kicked me about a fair bit. After a good many bowls of unpleasant smoking and nausea, I threw the rest of the pouch away and vowed never to return.

Eight years later, and my local tobacconists was closed (cursed Sundays) so I had to go for something 'off the shelf' to smoke. I decided, having learnt somewhat about pipe smoking, to give Condor Original another try. My first mouthful of smoke tasted of nothing but soap, which did fade away after a while but was still a little surprising nonetheless. The taste was otherwise exactly as I remembered it - thick, quite meaty (as in, you almost felt like you had to chew - steak flavoured tobacco would be a strange experiment I'd certainly like to try though), but this time quite pleasing. A cool smoke throughout, which packed easily and needed no re-lighting once it had gotten going. Taking great care, I really enjoyed the smoke and this time made it all the way through the pouch without feeling ill once.

So, Condor Original (Ready Rubbed) is a strong experience that will knock your socks off if you don't treat it nicely. Certainly not one for a timid beginner, but maybe a good start for a beginner who has a guide on hand to teach them the proper way of doing things. There's plenty for the seasoned smoker to enjoy, though the soapy start could be the part that ruins the experience for most.

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Tolerable to Strong

Another staple over the counter blend in the UK..

Loads stronger than St Bruno though equally as soapy. Really does pack a punch if you inhale this stuff.

Again not bad for what it is, and I'd smoke it if I couldn't get hold of say Petersons IF, or Gawith's dark flake.

2/1/14 UPDATE - I'm upgrading this to 3 stars. Probably the best OTC along with St Bruno Flake that's available in the UK.

Proper old school tobacco, that reminds me of thick set old codgers smoking large chin hugging, deep red wine coloured rusticated pipes.

The blue haze that emanates from their direction being Condor.... This blend is definitely comparable to any specialist, bespoke, or premier online blend.

Not quite a 4 star as the floral notes are a tad overdone, but with some ageing and drying out they should settle.

A strong smash mouth nicotine hit will keep your puffing honest.

Not bad..

Pipe Used: Toilet

Purchased From: A hedgehog that was crossing the road...

Daggers62 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Daggers62 (18)

This stuff is ... weird.

The smell and first taste is just .. strange. I dont know enough about tobacco to say its 'this' or 'that' flavour. Once you get over the initial strangeness it is not a bad smoke and the you get used to the flavour.

As for that 'Condor moment' unfortunately I didnt find it.

It is still worth a try and readily available

pipemqn100 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipemqn100 (1)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

You open the pack and the smell hits you. You fill your pipe and the flaovor is just that you expect and more. You have not smoked a pipe until you smoke this. The best bit is that it burns very slowly and leaves little ash and no nasty stodge.

Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable

Given some of this in a trade with St. Bruno Flake and Mick McQuaid Plug, because I wanted to try some blends avaliable only in the UK. This stuff has that "Lakeland" thing going on, and I like it! Shag is not my favorite cut, so detract a little for that. It reminds me of certain SG and GH offerings, but the quality seems just a wee bit less. Maybe it is just the shag cut, I don't know. No major complaints, though. The blend can be a little harsh when puffed too exuberantly, but for me at least, never burns my mouth or throat. So, this is a newsstand pouch in jolly old England? Good show, then. I have had good results using this as a blender with a light, neutral Virginia, and this is what I may use the rest of my sample for. This is not to say that I mind it by itself. It is unique and somewhat raw in its taste, but manages to turn this quality into a positive attribute.

TNLawPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TNLawPiper (5)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

One must first smoke Condor to really understand these reviews. Where else can you find a blend that smells like your great aunt Sue and kicks like your cousin Jimbo?

My wife describes the scent as "incense-like", and she could live with it if she had to. I find the blend to smoke very smoothly, taste as it smells, and leave you wanting more -- perhaps you won't get around to it for another week or three, but you'll want more. Smoke this slowly or with some food in your stomach, though, or you'll spend the next half-hour sitting.

This blend is best smoked in a pipe that is used for Condor or for sampling new blends, because you'll taste its ghost for a while.

DEN-C1956 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DEN-C1956 (24)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

to me the best over the counter pipe tobacco's you can buy by that i mean at the newsagent.i have been a firm condor smoker for quite sometime,but i am starting to move to other brands,but condor will always be one of the best,dark in colour and a great aroma even before the pipe is alight,just wonderful.

i thought i would write an update about this tobacco,as i have been using another tobacco for a while i thought i would go back to 'condor' well someone has been messing with it...for the tongue bite is quite evident and i never had that before,so it has put me off it and that sad for me because i loved it...once upon a time.

The Full English Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Full English (31)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

This review completes my experiment with the three major commercially available tobacco brands in rubbed form here in the UK - those being Clan, St. Bruno, and Condor. The latter is, without a doubt, the best, and proves that there is some credence in entrusting your choices locally, as opposed to the specialist.

Without a doubt, this is a classic Lakeland style tobacco, but although the usual floral scent and soapy taste that usually fires a warning shot is present, I find the casing to be much more acceptable and palatable than that found in many other brands - notably the Gawiths. Indeed, it's a good deal more nectarous, slightly spicy, and a damn sight more unusual, without impinging on what seems to be a naturally sweet Virginia base.

I don't find this to be particularly overly cased, nor that potent, if truth be told. The flavours seem well-balanced and seemed a far cry from the "Condor Moment" which smacked of the sourness you'd expect from some of the more pungent Burleys in the Peterson line. It does contain a good dose of the old Vitamin N, but it's well managed.

The only downsides are really the ghosting and the need for several re-lights; though it's a moist tobacco that burns surprisingly well, it becomes a bit top- heavy with ash. Furthermore, the room note is a tad monotonous and a touch off- putting for some, but everything is there in the smoke itself, which really sings. I can't dedicate a pipe to this, so I'm anticipating some aftercare with my Peterson System, but it's a small price to pay for a quality smoke that I can purchase where I want, when I want - and in smaller pouch sizes that neither break the bank, nor become boring.

PIPER1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PIPER1 (2)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Pleasant

New pipe smoker. tried Condor as my first Bacca and enjoyed it. Next pouch was Clan. I'm disapointed and will be going back to Condor

deckoat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
deckoat (2)
Very Strong Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Yes me boys,bein smoki'n this baby for a quarter of a century, The best,the only tobacco worth smoking,the rest of it's useless next to the ''SOAPY'' smell and taste of condor,

Irish flake by peterson is probably and no doulbt a finer smoke with a similar nicotine hit but it's twice the price; twice the price,a pack of ready rubbed is €8or9 and irish flake is around €17,for the same amount here in ireland so no contest, Another interesting point,I smoked University flake and I kid you not a half a pipeful would sicken a dog,my stomach was growling for two days on this stuff and it's not even strong but there's some poisen spit coming back out of the bowl,a chemical no doulbt,the stuff is ''pure poison'' You should try it sometime!

Pipemanuk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipemanuk (75)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Makes me laugh reading these reviews, good old Condor.

Back a few decades ago it was kinda looked down on, sneered at a bit....but it's outlasted a whole lot of fancier brands and it's here still.

If you're going to smoke Condor, and you should, then go for the Long Cut..ie the flake version; it's definitely better. But when needs must, then ready rubbed will do.

I have loads of different blends all of which have their place, but like my other reviewers I come back to good old Condor.

All this and no description of the actual tobacco...tsssk.

Leathery earthy soapy strong and nary a hint of bite...will definitely ghost your pipe, that's about it really. Get you some.

Baccyman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Baccyman (16)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

What to say about the most unique smoke ever? Love it or hate it, NOTHING compares to Condor! I was introduced to this tobacco at the June meeting of the Sherlock Holmes Pipe Club and at first puff I knew I had found the tobacco for me. This is really saying something since I own over 50 different tobaccos and enjoy all of them. (Some more than others, of course) But Condor is the only one I smoke every day. A friend of mine says the room note reminds him of his Aunt Lily smoking Parliaments! All I know is the taste keeps me coming back for more. It IS strong with a nicotine hit so new pipers should ease in slowly. But there is absolutely NO BITE EVER!!! You WILL have to dedicate a pipe to Condor as it will absolutely ghost a pipe.

I have to order it from England by transferring funds from my bank to theirs. (apparently the credit card companies in England don't want to be involved in tobacco sales. But that won't stop me!)

Every pipe smoker owes it to themselves to try Condor at least once in their life!

Part Time Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Part Time Piper (4)
Strong Strong Very Full Very Strong

I've smoked a number of pouches of this supermarket blend, mainly in my den, but when I've smoked it in company in (or outside pubs) the reaction has been "what the f* are you smoking?". I was once told it smelled "like an old paddy's donkey jacket burning on a bonfire" (a turf fire perhaps?) I don't think this stuff's an Irish blend. There are far better blends from Ireland and N Ireland. My own opinion on opening the pouch is that it smells a bit like an old fashioned barbers shop with maybe a hint of peat, coal and tar. It is very black, tarry and slightly damp, and looks and feels like trimmings of roofing felt. It smokes strong and warm, sometimes hot, and gives a powerful nicotine (and no doubt tar) yield. It's a proper strong old man's tobacco. I'd recommend anyone try it (and smoke it gently the first time) because it is a big selling traditional blend with which every piper should be acquainted, and sometimes it's the only baccy you can get, but I don't think it'll ever be my regular tobacco. To be smoked outdoors only.

Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable

I picked up a pack of this at the train station while in port in Cork Ireland while cruising a few weeks ago. It was the only tobacco I could find and it was very expensive per ounce but I bought it anyway. It is in a green plastic pouch and upon opening, has a sweet musky odor and something else I could not place. It packed and lit easily in my pipe while smoking it for the firsst time in the cigar bar on the ship. The first puff was full, strong, and rich. I liked it. As I smoked, I wondered what the heck the top coating is as I have never tasted it before. It is a dark, riff cut tobacco and looked like most VA type tobaccos. It burned very easily and while very rich and strong, it had no tongue bite at all, even when I tried to smoke it hot. It left just a grey dottle in the bottom of my pipe and after finishing my smoke, I wanted to fill up and go another round with it. If this was available in the States, I think I would be a regular with it. It's that good. I still have not figured out the flavoring, almost like the old Chrystal mint lifesavers but not really minty. The only down side to it besides not being readily available to me is that when I finished with my pipe, I noticed that everyone in the cigar bar had moved away from me to the other side of the room! So, it must not have a great room note, but itt sure is good.

ROMMER Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ROMMER (17)
Very Strong Strong Extra Full Tolerable to Strong

I tried this one for the first time as a novice pipe smoker and was nearly sick. It was strong, soapy and offensive however....

A few years latter after smoking all sorts of brands I came back to this stuff for a final go, I am glad I did. This one will not satisfy a new smoker but, o boy, when yourve tried a lot of different brands and then return to this one you find a spot in pipe heaven.

This is a strong, even burning brand that you must try. Stronger than St Bruno and richer than Royal Yacht, more subtle than Mellow Virginia but more dimensional than gold block. Its the perfect smoke for the more experienced smoker.

Enjoy

Peter Zorg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peter Zorg (34)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium Strong

One thing you want to know if you want to try this is that you will sacrifice a pipe for it. It is nearly impossible to get that Condor taste out of your pipe once you have smoked it. I do not like this blend at all. As I saw that a lot of pipe smokers have the same reaction at first, I will re-try it in a few months. For those who never tried, it is really one of its kind and unique, and the taste is not what you normally expect when you smoke pipes. UPDATE. Although quite weird, I returned to this tobacco. I dedicated it a small good pipe (one of my first friends), and I find it quite enjoyable. I suspect the flavoring is special and very important in the taste of this, but ....

Primitiveman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Primitiveman (3)
Strong Medium to Strong Medium Very Strong

When I first tried Condor, I hated it. This seems to be a common reaction! The soapy, hairspray smell of the unlit tobacco was fairly repellant. I tried again some years later however, and I'm glad I did. I smoke this in an unfiltered Falcon. It packs extremely easily, is easy to keep lit and gives a pleasant but not overpowering nicotine hit.No tongue burn, ever. The soapiness is just noticeable in the taste of the smoke, but not in an unpleasant way. I love the dense texture of the smoke this stuff produces; very cigar like! I would smoke this more, but the room note is very strong and not at all pleasant, so I'm confined to the garage with this one.

Jocose Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jocose (12)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is based on the Condor Original Long cut. Even though it comes in a cheap plastic pouch there are some real nice looking dark flakes sitting inside, just waiting to be freed and wanting to bring enjoyment to You, the smoker. Warning, definitely a good bit of topping used in this one!

It has a perfume and soap smell to it that really doesn't translate into the actual smoke as much as you think it would. It will leave a mark on your pipe though. I dedicated a Briar to it.

Nice strong tobacco taste and good nicotine content as well. No bite to it either. Not as natural tasting as most strong flakes but good in it's own right.

Pipe-arazzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe-arazzo (71)
Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Ahh... that "Condor Moment!" I decided to smoke this along with all the Lakelands I've been smoking the last year or so, just to see how it compares. I'm glad I did.

I got a pouch of the "long cut" version, which is a flake form, on a recent trip to the UK. Definitely a lakeland-type tobacco. Plenty of the typical flowery essence in the room note, though none of that perfumey taste I got from Grousemoor. Flavor was smooth, but stout, natural no-nonsense tobacco. Had a real "old timey" quality to it. Rubbing out or folding into the pipe was easy and burn was cool and steady.

This does compare, as another reviewer noted, with Bracken flake from Sam Gawith. However, I found the nicotene somewhat less, the burn easier, the flavor more natural, and the topping less intrusive with Condor. In short, I'd smoke this again before going for more Bracken.

It did seem to have a tendency to flavor a pipe. I took a couple of pipes(including an old second-hand corncob) out of retirement and dedicated them to this. It should be no problem, as this behaves so well in any pipe.

Too bad this is no longer available in the US.

Xerxes -- The Pied Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Xerxes -- The Pied Piper (4)
Very Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable

I tried this (as my first tobacco) with my first ever pipe. (I ordered Condor Blended but recieved the Original variety.

It truly is a wonder I am still alive, let alone remain a regular pipe smoker!

This is HIGHLY POTENT, okay it's not going to blow your man-bits off, (it'll try, it'll try well at that) but it is very strong and I would not try this again (for a long, long time) for fear of getting the shivers (and nausea) like that ever again, almost as bad as the food poisoning I once recieved so gratefully.

That said I will never throw away any of my old pouches/tins -- I may one day return when my palate is far more experienced and able to tolerate a lot more.

I was a cad and a pillock to think I would get away with this as my first tobacco.

I am very sure that it's a decent smoke -- when you are accustomed to it.

I am sure it was the Nicotine rather than the taste that did it.

Overall: One to be wary of.

Approach with caution, armed and deadly!

Clayman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Clayman (7)
Strong Strong Full Tolerable

I bought a few pouches of this stuff at the duty free in the Heathrow airport during a layover on a flight to the states. I bought it because all of the witty reviews of this blend that inspired (dared) me. I knew I was equal to the task.

Well, I was equal to the task. My trusty Jarl oil-hardened dublin, however, will never be the same. What is it the Brits say? "Bloody Hell." I've got one packet of this down. I don't know if I will open another any time soon - perhaps it needs a bit of age.

I Propose that Tobacco Reviews dot com revise the rating scale for this blend. It should really be: Room Note: Full Taste: Tolerable

You can taste the tobacco in this blend, but I'm pretty sure that's because the flavoring kills every other taste receptor in your mouth and nose. I did give the blend two stars, however, and that's because the strength of the blend makes if worthwhile if you like strong tobaccos, and also because if you forget your cologne or aftershave, this blend will neatly mask any unseemly bodily odors and will continue to do so for a good week after smoking.

Cheers!

bluejohnwilli Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bluejohnwilli (5)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

condor is a stong tobacco i myself like the long cut ( flake ). this is the best tobacco i have ever smoked. there realy is nothing like it , its GREAT .

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (165)
Very Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

The extreme subjectivity of reactions to tastes and smells is nowhere more apparent than in the case of scented flakes. My system rather likes 1792 Flake and St Bruno Flake but does not react well to Bosun Cut Plug, Coniston Cut Plug or Irish Flake.

I found Condor Long Cut to be somewhat milder in scenting than any of the above named blends. The room note is commensurate with the pouch aroma. The nicotine content is substantial - anyone seeking to give up smoking cigarettes could try Condor. The burning characteristics are good and the ash fine and near white. But for all that, the base tobaccos are not quite as good as in 1792 Flake or Irish Flake. Those who like scented tobaccos or would like to enter that universe owe it to themselves to try Condor Long Cut.

Bobbior5907 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bobbior5907 (24)
Strong Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A Lakeland-type blend. If you don't like English Lakeland-type tobacco, you won't like Condor. I love it. It is now my all-time favorite pipe tobacco regardless of type. After 2 or 3 puffs, following full ignition, you won't taste any soap. After 1 or 2 bowls you won't notice any soap or scent, even at the outset; a strange phenomenon. Thin, rich, very dark brown flakes, reasonably moist, with a subtle semi-sweet, fruity undertaste when properly ignited; addictive, you will want another bowl immediately. Not like St. Bruno; St. Bruno is more akin to a straight naturally flavored, unscented thicker cut Virginia/burley flake; I detect no soap or floral scent like Condor. Not like Samuel Gawith's Bracken Flake; Bracken Flake is indeed rich and dark, but not sweet or fruity and with no soap or floral scent like Condor. Condor Original Long Cut has a wonderful aroma and compelling taste; most satisfying. It is strong and is best in a small to medium straight billiard. It would be overwhelming in a large bowl. I do not doubt that it permanently imbues a pipe with its essence. Dedicate at least one pipe to Condor alone. You cannot compare a Lakeland-type blend to another tobacco type. Condor should be compared to other Lakeland-type pipe tobacco blends, against which it would hold its own quite well indeed. English scented flakes are an acquired taste and one that I am now glad I acquired. I give Condor Original Long Cut a grade of "A".

garydobbs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
garydobbs (15)
Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I must say I don't really detect the soapy aroma that so many people have mentioned and consider this tobacco a very rewarding taste. It does leave an hint of itself on any pipe used and the taste will be there for a great deal of time, but that's not really a problem. Mind you I've one pipe put aside that I use exclusively for this tobacco.

fatherDougal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fatherDougal (28)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

I was prepared to give Condor a zero, and it certainly isn't my kind of blend. But some people do go for it, so I'll try to be a reasonable boy. From pipe tobacco, I do not expect Hotel soap. I don't look for it in my coffee or my chocolate, in my whiskey or my Stilton, or in a grilled salmon. Why would I want it here? I prefer the breath of a grassy field, the density of dark and complex sweets and the spice from Perique. Opening the pouch I got the distinct nose of grandmother's Yardley. However, it did burn well, and it must have a good dose of Nic b/c I had to sit down part way through my first headachy bowl. This floral sensation may be just the ticket for a former menthol smoker(?) Finally I like to comment on the aftertaste, which was, guess what? Smoked hospital soap. 2 out of 5 stars.

Pipeorgan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeorgan (7)
Very Strong Extra Strong Full Very Strong

I bought this tobacco on a lark in Spain, before I got a chance to research it on Tobacco Reviews. I commend men like Pipestud who try the tobaccos (especially the nasty ones) so I think twice about it. I had no such tobacco gardian angel in this case. I was alone with my pipe, this tobacco and what ever chemicals the boys at Condor R&D decided would be good for their company's bottom line to put into this tobacco. Condor is the only collection of substances that has made me sick thus far after putting it in my pipe and smoking it. After less than a quarter bowl in a small briar, I was dumbstruck. And I definately don't think it was only the nicotine. There is an artificial chemical quality to this product that gives off every signal of being extremely unheathy in every way you could think of a pipe tobacco being unhealthy. After I smoked it my wife said I turned white like I had seen a ghost. I told her it wasn't a ghost, it was the tobacco. I still was feeling it the next morning.

This is a contemplative blend. I seriously contemplated quiting pipe smoking after my Condor Experience.

Elcid Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Elcid (16)
Mild to Medium Extra Strong Very Mild Strong

Let me preface by saying that I enjoy trying old-timey blends and hey, I even got through a couple bowls of Mixture 79. Thus, I kept an open mind when I tried Condor. It's economical -- only about 3 euros where I spotted it in Spain. There, the praise stops. It tastes like soap. That's it, brudda. Soap. Not a tobacco-taste molecule in the bowl. Tainted a perfectly good yard pipe too. Am I really to believe this is an old standby? As my friends in the U.K. say, there are horses for courses. But, really, I can't think of a steed noble enough to like Condor. No cheers.

Holy Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Holy Smoke (26)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Strong

Ah Condor: The daddy of the floral flakes!

Some see this glorious tobacco as the marmite of the pipe world, complaining about Condor's soapy nature. This does slowly fade away, leaving it to shine out above all the other 'supermarket' blends. Sadly this does require patience -and at least a second pouch- and some do give up before this: Out of the fear of tainting their pipes and recalling memories of their loose-tongued youth.

Full-bodied and floral, making it a perfect bedtime pipe. Though if you are inclined toward the milder smokes, you'll probably be screaming yourself to sleep with this one.

drewfasa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
drewfasa (6)
Strong Strong Very Full Tolerable

I'm a novice smoker and bought this tobac at the supermarket on a Sunday when the pipe shop was closed. The flavour was floral - I would say mostly violets, and yes, I have tasted violets (in hot chocolate at a shop in the Lake District). The smell really reminds me of my grandparents for some reason, maybe the combination of grandpa's cigarettes and grandma's violet soaps.

Anyways, the flavour I found to be full and pleasant. I found it could be puffed quite hard without becoming bitter or harsh.

I enjoyed the higher nicotine content and stopped about 1/2 or 3/4 of the way down because I'd had enough, but I prefer that type of satisfaction to the feeling you get with a bland tobacco where you smoke it all the way down waiting for something to happen and it never does. In my opinion the greatest shortcoming a tobacco can have is if it is too bland.

Condor is packed with an interesting flavour and strong nicotine, I find myself already looking forward to my next bowl.

note: it will leave an indelible flavour on your pipe.

Brahms Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brahms (4)
Strong Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

When I was young, I cursed my mother, and my father washed out my mouth with soap. It only took once to learn my lesson. Never again.

Now, as an adult, I smoked Condor, and my mouth was filled with an even more foul taste of soap. It only took once to learn my lesson. Never again.

tockus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tockus (3)
Strong Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have been an on-off pipe smoker for about 35 years, but have never stuck to one brand. I have only recently tried Condor Original, even though it is a popular brand in the U.K. My first impression was in line with other reviewersin that it tasted 'soapy' However, the more pipefuls you light, this soapiness is less in evidence, and now I dont notice it. Having read that this tobacco 'taints' the bowl of any pipe, I have restricted it to three of my pipes! It is a heavy smoke, not to be experimented with by a novice, but is slow burning and quite pleasant for the more experienced.

drew2907 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
drew2907 (3)
Medium to Strong Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

condor should change it`s name to soap, thats all i could taste maybee it becuse im quite new to the pipe, but i wont be buying it again and i still have not got the taste out of my pipe. yuk!!!

Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Recommended because it's something one has to try sooner or later, a great classic. I suggest to dry the flakes a bit, because they're very moist into the pouch, then you can crumble them or smoke it the traditional way, no great difference in taste. The flavour is something you'll remember for a long time (and your pipe will do as well, so I suggest not to smoke it into your favourite high grade freehand, at least for the first time). Despite its format and strong flavouring, it smokes remarkably cool.

kilted1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kilted1 (43)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have never reviewed this product ... my review was of Original Long Cut version and this has been corrected ... sorry I don't know how to delete this one.

kevin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kevin (7)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

Rather like a muskier, heavier version of St Bruno. This is quite a moist tobacoo, and I find that 2 or 3 re-lights are required to keep it going. It produces a heavy, cool, fruity smoke with a hint of the pepperiness found in St Bruno. I have found this a bit too much on its own - but have read another posting that suggests blending Condor with 50% St Bruno - I have tried this and the result is an easy to light, cool, flavoursome smoking experience. Another poster had suggested that St Bruno blended with Gold Block worked well and I suspect that a 50/50 mix of St Bruno & Condor mixed with some GB would result in an excellent smoke. I'l give it a try at some point!

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (79)
Extremely Strong Very Strong Extra Full Very Pleasant

=Update. After 125g of this over two months, I've changed my recommendation. It's clear that Condor is in a class by itself, the king of the full strength soap flakes. I've learned to smoke this slowly in a small bowl, not to let it dry out too much to preserve the added flavorings (which is the point with Condor, it is a full aromatic), and pack it very loosely, almost fully rubbed out. I've never had a pipe cleaner come out black, or any tarrier than any other rich blend, this way. =

Air Commodore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Air Commodore (8)
Medium to Strong Strong Full Strong

When I tried this in my youth 24 years ago, it was so strong only old men with black nicotine stained fingers used to smoke it! It used to knock your head off and left you gasping if inhaled. I tried it again recently and was supprised at its wonderfull taste and aroma. I suspect it has a high nicotine content since after 50 grms it leaves you gagging for more!

People say it has the sopey english quality, and certainly when sniffed has notes of soap in there. But on the whole I like it.

sethus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sethus (9)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Strong

God smokes a pipe...and in it he smokes condor and st bruno, condor is given from god!!!!!!!!!!

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (87)
Medium Strong Full Pleasant

I had the chance to re-visit this lovely tobacco recently when a friend from 'cross the pond sent a few pouches my way. There is really no smell like the one you encounter upon opening the packet...floral, mysterious, beckoning. I can see that to some it could have the redolence of strong soap, mais, pour mois, it is heavenly. Flakes are very dark, somewhat sticky and pliant to the touch. As with any scented flake, one must have a pipe for it, not only as it will haunt the briar relentlessly, but all the more to enhance the ritual of smoking this tabak in a constant vessel. I do not find it overly strong, nor complex, but the flavor is most unusual and it burns very well in a large Stanwell. Smokes cool, with few gurgles, the perfect porch tobacco on those windy days...This should be experienced at least once by all.

Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

I was recently sent a sample pouch of Condor from a friend in England as this tobacco is not available in the USA. It is remarkably powerful in the nicotine department and reminded somewhat of a few of the stronger Gawith & Hogarth tobacco offerings.

Condor is a Virginia/Burley mix, with some topped black cavandish thrown in to round out the field. The topping gains strength at the mid-bowl point, and I did not find it to be pleasant - a bit soapy in fact.

The quality of the leaf was typical for a pouch tobacco blend; good, but not top-shelf. Thick smoke and very dry ash that will scramble from the pipe onto your clothes made this an unusual smoking experience for me. While I will finish the pouch, I shall not go seeking more. I much prefer St. Bruno Ready-Rubbed. Both have a topping added, but Condor's topping is too soapy. I certainly would not cry if this was the only available tobacco in the world, but I would not be giddy with excitement either.

Benjamin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Benjamin (22)
Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

Ah, Condor! The grand, gruff patriarch of tobacco. Strong, noble, and smooth. This is what smoking a pipe is all about . . .

The aroma in the pouch is thick and rich. Condor has been described as "soapy." I would describe it instead as mildly, subtly floral. In my humble opinion, this slight addition works rather well. I find it to be one of the more stubborn flakes to rub out, but the reward at the end! Upon lighting, I am greeted with the dark, roasted flavour that reminds me why I smoke a pipe. The flavour of Condor does not change very much throughout the bowl. However, perhaps because it burns so slowly, I find myself, as my father would say, "smoking matches." Only available in England, it is not easy nor inexpensive to acquire. However, I urge all pipe smokers to try Condor. It is unbeatable

mailman 5000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mailman 5000 (60)
Very Strong Medium Very Full Tolerable

The most potent supermarket tobacco availble in England. A real powerhouse of virginia flake at its most voodoo. Strong when first puffed and keeps getting stronger. But thats not the whole story as it tastes of soap. Not a little bit, but like a sample of washing powder had been thrown in the flake press for good measure. Hay maybe they could use it in an advertising promotion. Cleans you pipe as it smoked!. The bar version is also availble for those requiring greater strength.( this has been known to make young women faint/swoon/callapse. Honestly. Pretty unbeatable in the room note stakes also.Hopefully unavailble outside UK, they would'nt dare.

Grundie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grundie (26)
Strong Strong Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

In the UK this is probably the most popular pipe tobacco going, along with St Bruno. It is a very distinctive tobacco, which I personally have never found any other tobacco to have the same sort of flavour and aroma as it does. With the pipe packed well this tobacco burns cool and slow and has a very full flavour. The room aroma is either loved or hated, fortunately most people love it. The taste is very fruity and has a very suble hint of woodyness.

It is said that that this tobacco can leave it's mark on a pipe, I tend to agree, try it in a cheapo basket pipe before smoking it in your best Dunhill as once the flavour is in the pipe, it's very hard to get rid of. A word of warning this is a strong tobacco, IMO you need to smoke it slowly and with a good rythym, if you overdo it will send you flying such is it's strength.

Ol'smoky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ol'smoky (2)
Very Strong Strong Full Strong

Yes there is definately a 'Condor moment' it's when your stomach tells you to quit smoking this or die! The combination of thick, heavy cigar like smoke and soapyness is overwhelming and likely to cause shortterm impotence.

Still all is not lost, because one thing Condor has in spades is strength and if blended with a mild but easier smoke the results can be quite good. My favourite combo is a 50/50 mix with Kendal Black Cherry. The B.C. is fragrant and very gentle but lacks a kick of any sort but when you throw in the Condor then you have strength and flavour aplenty. The Condor help dry out the wetness of the B.C. too and a good slow, even burn is what you get. Try it. p.s. anyone who cannot get hold of Condor email me at(aliasme@mail.com) for a U.K. supplier who will send to the USA.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Strong Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Is this named after the Condor Legion? That would be appropriate, as English-made aromatics often do bring mass-murder to mind. Thick, fruity, syrupy, this blend, which, like many hard-to-get imports, had a positive vogue a few years back, might be pleasing to a fruit-sucking bat in some tropical setting, but not to this super-liberal, cold-loving, snow-frisking, my-only-homeland-is-the-Winter New Yorker. This smells like a swamp on fire.

If you must smoke Nivea creme, try ST BRUNO instead. IT tastes like tobacco, not bat droppings.

22yrsonthepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
22yrsonthepipe (21)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Strong

Thought I'd try a Lakeland and selected Condor due to the rave reviews. The pouch scent is like diesel and perfume with the diesel the dominant scent.

After a few puffs I quickly dumped the bowl to save my briar from ghosting. Absolutely vile stuff. The worst tobacco I ever tasted.

I wouldn't call it a strong or manly cigarish tobacco, like say craven or other non-Lakeland English blends. The underlying tobacco is actually quite mild but the heavy girly perfumey casing made me feel sick to my stomach. How anyone could smoke this is beyond me. Unless you like smoking the underarms of old ladies blouses.

When the wife smoked it, it smelled even worse than it tasted. For the love of god please don't inflict this on anyone - smoker or non-smoker.

To be fair I am a 'super-taster' so that may be why I don't like it. I will air the pouch out and get a dedicated pipe for it and revisit this blend due to it being an 'acquired taste' but I'm not getting my hopes up.

If you are a first time pipe smoker avoid this like the plague.

UPDATE 17/05/13 - Let it dry out a bit. The perfume taste is now only there for the light. After that it is very rich and full which I like but it tastes of blood and bone. I can understand why others like it now but still not for me. Didnt ghost.

UPDATE 20/05/2013 - After leaving the pouch open for a few more days, the blood and bone taste is gone and this is starting to taste like a nice deep, rich leathery grandpa English blend of yore. I keep reaching for the pouch to sniff it. The diesel is gone, the floweriness is slowly being replaced with raisiney fruitiness. It is growing on me after every pipe. I am now very interested in trying St Bruno and Grousemoor. Consider me a tentative Lakeland convert. If you dont like condor at first dont throw away the pouch, let it sit for a while. Upgrading from 1 star to 2.5 stars.

UPDATE 5th June 2013 - I enjoy a pipe of this before bed nearly every night now - upgraded to 3 stars.

Terrigar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Terrigar (5)
Strong Strong Full Pleasant

If you like fizzy lagers or, God help us, American bottled beer; if you like green salads and quiche or if you enjoy watching competitive figure skating then stay away from the Mighty Condor.

If, on the other hand, you crave strong English ales, porters and stouts; if you regard mature Cheddar and strong onions as ambrosia and if you adore the thud and blunder of proper(fifteen a side) Rugby Football then you are gonna love this stuff.

Condor is the best over the counter tobacco available in England, bar none. From the first puff it is all about the scent, slightly mildewy flowers, locker rooms, old fashioned barber shops and burnt toast. After that it's good old vitamin N, all the way to the heel!!

If heaven is a Public Bar where there is a never ending flow of IPA, the company of Pipemen and a constant supply of Condor then, Sweet Baby Jesus, take me now!

Wince Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wince (10)

Condor, Condor Condor!

This leaf seems to have taken on mythical qualities on various forums and it seems this tobacco is a leveller of many. However, undeterred I decided to try my luck with it.

The 25g pouch was bought from a local Co-op supermarket near to my works and it was I believe nearly £6 which isnt bad, isnt good.

Upon opening, you are hit with a strong soapy scent with hints of brandy and liquor but with a little lavender in there as well. It is a tad spicy and very very pungent. The black rubbed flakes are slightly moist and are very dark brown.

Packing was easy enough and on first light it is an odd tobacco. It stayed lit even after the charring light and stayed lit til the end without any bite whatsoever. The taste however jarred me. Was it soapy? Was it spicy? Was the smoke at all like pipe tobacco? My missus said it smelt herbally like an old chemists and very flowery like incense and rather like lavender.

To me the taste is similar to the smell with hints of roasted coffee and the smoke is smooth if you sip but will kick if you puff (burner of throats!) as for the Nicotine. I am sensitive to Nicotine but I hardly felt this that is to say it was no worse than Players Medium Navy cut or St Bruno, the latter being similar to this but I prefer Condor. The after taste is very soapy, as if you have had your mouth washed out but to my pallete this is preferred over the crappy taste of burley infested aromatics that make my mouth feel like a pub ashtray.

Not for everyone and a ghoster of pipes I did enjoy this smoke even though it is a bit rough around the edges. I guess it doesnt suit everyone but it was a nice change.

who broke my clay pipe? Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
who broke my clay pipe? (45)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable

I deleted my old review of this because i felt it was now obsolete and i felt like something to write about this popular british OTC enigma,so if you feel like something to read; let me waste a minute of you life.

Condor ready rubbed

'Making friends with an old enemy'

I have been piping for about 7 or 8 years;in that time only one tobacco ever kicked my ass and it was this;it hit me like an uppercut to the solaplexus and left me winded and spunout(i was a novice at the time).. I really wanted to like this one for this act alone because it had commanded my respect in the nicoteen department even if i was not sure of the taste.

I hadn't forgot this strange tobbaco and out of morbid curiosity of wanting a rematch i went to sainsbury's and bought a 50g pouch as a folly,as well as my regular golden virginia rollup (I had bought an estate pipe on ebay recently,and whilst examining it i sniffed the bowl and it smelled of 'condor the king of floral pipe ghosts',so i decided that this would be a dedicated condor pipe whether i liked it or not).

When i got home i anxiously sniffed the unopened pouch to see if i could smell the pouch aroma that was inside,because in my memory this was the strangest smelling tobacco i had so far experienced(i couldn't actually smell anything BTW)

Anyway i took a few preparing breaths,tore open the packet and took a big (over the top) 'condor moment' sniff and then thought for a few seconds,then took another(this went on for a few times):its not as strong as i seem to remember it(possibly because i knew what i was expecting) and it has a slightly sweeter smell than i remember. Pouch aroma is still a strange one though;Pick'n'Mix foam pink shrimps sweets, meets domestic cleaning product ala wood scented wood polish,green smooth in the round tin 'swarfega' mechanics hand soap, brings long lost aromas and dejavue of my youth in the 70's;opening tins and sniffing things in my dads shed, and furniture polish of our wooden cased ITT television..

The pouch appearance wasn't as dark as my memory seems to remember either(i have since smoked 'revor plug' and 'black xx');a dark brown rubbed flake,no predrying necessary this was ready and easy to load.I then transfered the whole pouch into a glass kilner clip sealed jar incase this was going to be save it for later type. I pulled out an unused fresh 6" clay pipe for an accurate review and loaded up with that certain "i don't know why i am doing this" russian roulette wearyness/anticipation,lit it up and noted from my previous experience two cautions to be utterly obeyed; 1) do not over puff, 2)do not under any circumstances inhale!

Ok;it lights ok,smoked ok,and still tasted 'strange' but ok;I initially got placebo symptoms where my emergency body responce mechanism got ahead of itself and my heart was beating a bit and my stomach moved like a washing machine,but it wasn't nausia(infact i needed a shit and this was the first pangs) My previous notes from my first experience seem exagerated in places(due to overwhelming impression at the time),but certain factors still stand.regarding the omnipresent 'lavender soap' aspect.

After a 1/4" had been smoked;the mystery topping diminishes somewhat to reveal the qualities of the tobacco (dark fired virginia,strong nutty burley,light unsweetened cavendish?) underneath which can be momentarily quite meaty in a tinned dogfood type way(as a toddler i would help the dog consumme its 'pedigree chum') Simularities to other tobacco brands i know;'revor plug' meets 'irish flake';i may prefer this to irish flake i think because it occupies a more individual slot between 'university flake' and revor plug',whereas 'irish flake' although strong in nicoteen;i just prefer the taste of 'university flake'. This may of been my first 'burley',so its no wonder it took me out the first time when i was first inhaling it(plus alcohol).

Half way down the bowl the topping softens again from the lavender to a taste more akin to 'Barrets foam pink shrimps' penny sweets ;another unique flavour which only pink shrimps seem to taste like pink shrimps.Although these aromatic properties are present,i do not call this an 'aromatic' tobacco;its just a strong tobacco with a unique topping.

The nicoteen is about on par with 'revor plug' i would say. It can burn hotter,or seems to be felt that way in my clay compared to my long ago briar experience, but still cool and tastes clearer than my first time.( by sipping and keeping two fingers over the bowl to preserve the chamber heat at the top ,its a nice steady puffers puff of a smoke right from the go).

Floral Factor: The floral factor in this blend in no way compares to 'lakeland's' rose/pinewood-esque essence;this is something more artificial and applied,but it doesn't effect the smoking properties,it just adds an aromatic note.Its like comparing perfume to an air freshener(condor is an air freshener)

Soap Factor: The soap factor is another area where condor differs from other 'kings of soap';its soapness is not like a 'cold cream' bar of white soap or like lemon washing up liquid,but mainly more of a sweet glycerine fruity lavender soap ,,with a mild liquid hand soap aroma/airosol sweet beeswax wood polish,and swarfega/lux flakes essence for added measure,, which is ok,intersting and not atringent or penetrating of the mucus of my pallette

Condor has a natural sweetness,which suggests an unflavoured casing or maybe a touch of cavendish(cavendish is usually made from burley i think),,;the sweetness does not spoil or turn acidic, and infact is more akin to artificial sweetener than sugar..

No tongue bite makes this one of the best OTC british pipe tobacco's and i now consider this up there with 'erinmore flake'.If i could locate some easy i would be intersted in trying the flake variant of condor because flake in general has a slower burn rate better for burley.

Burns to a dry ash with no real dottle(in my clay at least)and proved to be a low maintenance reliable smoker.The tobacco quality itself is not quite as rich as peterson standard(it has a slight cardboardness)but in its OTC nostalgic economy it out performs a few more expensive tins and for the images it conjours in my mind of good times long past and the way it tested me out the first time this gets a full 4 stars**(i am now a pipe jedi after all)..

I got through the pouch quite rapidly without smoking anything else in between,and it makes a solid well behaved alldayer;i know for certain that i will be keeping some of this in my permanent rotation.

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (108)
Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Most of what I said in an earlier review of Condor Long Cut applies here. This is a dark, strong, meaty, traditional English tobacco. I first tried it back in the ‘sixties, and I can't detect any difference between what it was like then and what it's like now. It's strong enough to hurt if you're not careful with it. It needs to be taken slowly, and probably isn't one for the beginner; but if you like a robust and unpretentious tobacco, this'll suit you very nicely.

Condor is cool, slow burning and consistent, and the flavour gets markedly fuller and 'rounder' from about half-way down the bowl. Despite a rather moist appearance, it burns well and consistently. It has a rather sour note somewhere in it that some people dislike, though my impression is that this note is present more strongly in the flake version.

The room note is pronounced and characteristic: pleasant if you like the smell of pipe-smoke, but perhaps a bit hard on innocent bystanders who don't. You certainly can't smoke Condor without drawing attention of some sort to yourself. It also gives you a delicious experience when you open the pouch – everybody mentions the ‘Condor moment' that featured in Ogden's television commercials back in the day before we were treated like idiots (i.e. when tobacco advertising was allowed). The pouch note is perhaps the best part of it!

Be warned, though: the ghost that Condor will leave in your pipe will take a lot of shifting. Personally, I think the flake form gives a slightly better smoke, but the ready rubbed is good stuff also, and both are readily available. There are differences between the ready rubbed and the flake, but they're very small. Condor is a popular tobacco in the UK. Newspaper-and-cig shops that still sell pipe tobacco at all will probably have Condor if they have nothing else. I suspect that, as more and more old favourites cease to be available and we move slowly towards prohibition (in the UK), Condor will be one of the last blends to go: which is one good reason for developing a taste for it. It's a little strong, but I'm happy to recommend it to people who like a tough, masculine baccy.

Oddly enough, more than with any other baccy I have to be in the mood for Condor, and my response to it can vary pretty widely: sometimes I like it a lot, sometimes I don't. The point, I think, is that it isn't at all subtle. Sometimes this is OK, sometimes not. Condor is what I would call a winter smoke: good on cold days, maybe with a strong black coffee, and good as an outdoor smoke, too. In summer, I tend to want something a little lighter and more sophisticated.

kenneth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kenneth (15)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Ah that Condor moment. For me that was 45 years ago and for some years I had visited the hill and mountains with my parents. But now I was 16 and had started to take an interest in climbing. I was introduced to what would become a lifelong passion by a friend who also tempted me to take up the pipe. It's that rugged outdoor look that appealed to me. Anyway I bought a cheap briar and I think I cadged some of my Dad's St Bruno. That weekend, at a local Yorkshire gritstone crag my friend introduced me to the delights of Condor Long cut which was his tobacco of choice. Oh that aroma. It was so distinctive and smelt of all the climbing huts and pubs that climbers congregated in. I guess I smoked it on and off for a few years then this weekend I was getting a little low on my usual flake, Walnut, and on impulse bought 50 gram of Condor Long cut. I was instantly transported back 45 years to aromas of Lake District pubs and climbing huts, quite amasing. I am not sure whether I will continue to buy Condor but it has been an amasing experience so who knows, I might return to the legion of pipe smokers who would not smoke anything else. If you have not tried Condor then go out and buy some Long cut, rub it up and experience for yourself the pleasures therein. And, no, it does not taint your favourite briar. I have tried Walnut again to make a comparison, first cleansing my Dunhill pipe with pipe cleaners soaked in isopropyl alcohol and there was no flavour carry over noticeable

mo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mo (78)
Strong Extra Strong Full Tolerable

I do get annoyed from time to time. When someone reviews a Latakia heavy blend that hates Latakia, when someone smokes a heavily cased blend and complians about the topping etc. I now find myself in this very boat.

I do envy reviewers whos palette is far more refined than mine is, who can pick up subtle secrets that blends give away to the fortunate few.

With the above being said, i really do not care for the topping of Condor. It is the only blend to date that i find disgusting. I smoked bowls over a 2 month period, allowing myself enough time to forget the last and giving the flakes time to dry and the topping to ease a bit. I smoked it when i actually craved it, i loaded my pipe without smelling the tobacco and set fire, the results are always the same, a disgusting shaving cream taste that just does not go away. I find it eases when i smoke a bit faster but as i am sitting here, i can still smell it 30 minutes after smoking.

The reason i find it so offensive is due to me not being able to appreciate this blend rather than the blend being at fault, it is an old blend after all and many seasoned reviewers really enjoy it.

It will destroy your pipe. You will not be able to smoke anything else in that briar for a long while. I hope Latakia can kill it though.

Giving one star is something i will not do very easily and it pains me to do it. We as pipers are in a tragic time when blends are taken off the market and we not being able to smoke anywhere in peace, but i cannot allow a piper, especially a newbie to go out and start this wonderfull hobby with a pouch of this.

I hope i, with my very limited palette did not offend the many esteemed fans of this blend.

Mo, South Africa

Very Strong Medium to Strong Full Very Strong

?Nothing should disturb that Condor moment?, read an ad in a magazine for this very classic brand in England, over a composed image of the Queen?s regiment parading in full regalia but with the soldiers all wearing slippers, instead of boots.

You?d think that ?Condor moment? is a peaceful, silent, and intimate one. The strength of the tobacco, however, tells me otherwise. This stuff?basically a cavendished Virginia in flake form, with a soapy undertone and a prune-like sweetness?is rather potent and, in its own particular way, almost raw. It?s definitely stronger than St. Bruno and almost as dense as something called The Digger (the latter, in my opinion, an absolutely unsmokable Virginia flake). It?s not the type of straight Virginia you?d expect, for example, from a house like Rattray?s. Compared to Condor, Rattray?s strongest Virginia, Hal O? The Wynd is a smooth aristocratic smoke, with an almost feminine finesse.

When I lived in Britain, I bought only two pouches: one, when I first arrived (after all, ?when in Rome??), and the other, five years later, when I was about to leave. Not exactly my finest memory of British tobacco blending industry. The first pouch I could never finish. The second one, well, I don?t really remember what happened to it.

In Condor there?s really no subtle interplay of flavours. What you smell is what you get: an intense, straightforward and consistent blast of highly scented full Virginias, which, if smoked on an empty stomach, induce dizziness and sweat. Condor, however, does smoke cool, burns slowly and even, and is long lasting. It comes slightly moist. It?s red-brown in colour, and the aroma and room note, in my humble opinion, are not something to die for (rather, they are something to die of, as I gather from the esteemed Pseudo Nim and his faithful dog).

I understand this is a very popular tobacco in Britain, because, like St. Bruno and Gold Block, it is readily available and it?s not particularly expensive. However, I also think this is especially popular amongst the older, established smokers, who really don?t care what kind of social statement?if any?their tobacco makes.

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (96)
Extremely Strong Strong Extra Full Tolerable to Strong

I must admit, first of all, it's been 39 years since I smoked this stuff, I won't call it tobacco, I was 16, couldn't afford ciggies, so I bought a cheap pipe and a packet of condor flake, a lethal combination, how I continued to smoke a pipe afterwards is beyond me, I bought condor because, after all, I was 16 and couldn't possibly be seen buying something with a nancy sounding name like "mellow vagina" could I ? I was in the forces at the time, and this stuff had the same effect on my internals as CS Gas was to have on my externals, (not highly recommended, for those who have not experienced the joys of tear gas) I later found that mellow vagina was a little more to the liking of my inexperienced palate, though I could still not bring myself to ask for it from the grinning face of the N.A.A.F.I. girl serving me, never realising of course, that her grinning was probably due to the effect that condor was having on me. I know I should try this again, in order to give a more honest, uptodate and experienced opinion, but right now, I just haven't got the courage.

UPDATE 6 July 2008

I can't beleive I did this, trying this stuff again, I went to light it in my "cave" the dog, a gentle black Labrador followed me in, "you may not like this one" I told her, but she, being a faithful (or stupid) dog settled down at my feet, in the past when she has dissaproved of whatever it is I'm smoking, she looks at me imploringly. If I fail to notice, she starts to howl and whine, anyway, I open the pouche, the smell takes me back so many years, the flakes are moist and pliable, rub out well and light with ease, a sudden burst of light soap that soon dissipates, first quarter and the strength builds, faces, names and places start to drift through my mind, we were all so young then, this stuff isn't so bad after all, the strength builds further, a movement at my feet, the dog has stood up, her eyes wide and staring, her head drops slightly below her shoulders as her legs bend ever so slightly, her teeth are barred and she is snarling.

No it's still bloody awful stuff for none but the brave, and the room note could be dangerous in the presence of my dog.

Stephen Redrobe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stephen Redrobe (5)
Extremely Strong Medium Extra Full Very Pleasant

I was sitting on a bench in the garden the other day, smoking my pipe and studying a rare, abstruse text, when a large magpie fell from the tree branch directly above me, paralyzed from the beak down.

You see, I was not smoking any ordinary tobacco - I was smoking the mighty Condor.

This was the only tobacco that struck terror into the heart of my great-uncle Jack - an inveterate St Bruno smoker.

Upon opening the tin (or pouch these days), one is greeted by a very pleasant aroma of something perfumy, which I have never been able to positively identify. The flowery aroma is different, and less pronounced than that found in Coniston Cut Plug. It is also nicer (but perhaps that is due to its familiarity over so many years). There is also an aroma of good, rich, potent tobacco, which leaves the sniffer in no doubt whatsoever that a substantial smoke lies ahead.

The flakes are dark and foreboding; just nicely moist and of consistent dimensions - three flakes for a large billiard (I just can't bring myself to smoke a smaller bowl of this).

Once the smoker has plucked up the courage, girded his loins and applied flame, the very traditional, correct and proper, British, perfumy (delightfully so) taste is to the fore. However, this soon withdraws to the wings, leaving a very full, rich tobacco flavour centre-stage. It is at this point that many reviewers will begin to describe their favourite tobaccos with adjectives such as 'nutty', 'leathery' and goodness knows what. Suffice to say that this tastes of rich tobacco and it is heavenly (blast - an adjective).

It lights easily and burns slowly right down to the bottom, leaving a fine, white ash.

Ladies love the smell of Condor (I marked the room note as 'very pleasant', but it is appearing as 'very mild' - not my intention, but hey-ho.....)

Condor - the King of pipe tobaccos.

The magpie flew away after an hour or so.

SASSON Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SASSON (6)
Strong Very Strong Full Very Strong

I heve no idea how pepole smoke this absulutly soap taste

ex20adayman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ex20adayman (30)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

"Condor Original" actually comes in two versions. The ready rubbed variety which comes in a green pouch and "Long Cut" ie flake, which comes in a brown pouch. I am reviewing the ready rubbed.

Simple, cheap, basic plastic pouch similar to what you get with St Bruno and Three Nuns. No tin option available. No descriptive words on the pouch of what the tobacco is all about just a cryptic "Break seal gently...for that Condor moment" slogan - this refers to an ad campaign from the good old days. Aroma in the pouch very similar to St Bruno RR. Appearance and feel of the tobacco similar too, if a little stickier.

There the similarities end.

When you light up the floral nature and soapiness of this tobacco immediately hits you. Then a profusion of flavours. I detect some of the tobaccos used in Clan in this blend but much smoother, creamier and tastier here. A distinct licorice taste also. The soapiness anaesthetises your tongue by the end. I'd imagine this soapiness would recede the more you smoke this blend however.

Good nicotine kick to leave you feeling full but not unsteady. Smoke aroma seems very "retro" ie what pipe smoke should smell like. No bite at all when smoked in a 9mm filer pipe.

This is a good tobacco although whether I'll buy again depends on how the rest of the pouch fares.

UPDATE - after only two small bowls of this tobacco, it has completely tainted the pipe in which I smoked it. No matter what tobacco you put in it now, it tastes as if you're still smoking Condor! Thde floral soapiness is indelible even after reaming, sweetener and alcohol.

Therefore be very wary about smoking this tobacco for the first time in any sort of decent pipe. I feel I have to downgrade to 2* for the sheer brutal uncompromising nature of this weed.

Brucybonus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brucybonus (1)
Extremely Strong Very Strong Very Full Tolerable

It is difficult not to enthuse about Condor and have done so since my halcyon days in the 70's. The advert of a gentleman absorbed an absent-minded moment caused by the sheer pleasure of a puff of this magic shag was responsible for leading me down the 'soapy path'.

I regard myself as a pipe surfer and Condor is my favourite beach. Yes, it tastes of detergent, but that is it's subtle allure for me. Frequently I find myself riding a wave of pleasure when I inhale this mixture that has no peer. Furthermore the soapy sensation leaves me feeling very clean and unlike most other tobaccos I'm convinced that my teeth actually look whiter after smoking it.

On the down side my wife gave me an ultimatum that unless I stopped smoking it we were finished. I recall her saying "It's either me or the Condor". She ran off with my best friend Jim. God I miss him.

Unlike a woman, Condor really is 'for life'.

oldmanpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldmanpipe (62)
Very Strong Extra Strong Very Full Very Strong

As many a reviewer has noted, this oldtime British blend is no longer available in our litigious United States. Many fine old English tobaccos are memories to us Yanks now. The judgment exposure is not offset by the sales.

If a young smoker should perchance get his hands on a package of Condor, he is in for a room-spinning awakening. Should a veteran be so fortunate...tis very Heaven. There is nothing...and I mean NOTHING...quite like this. You will either love it or hate it. Just don't make up your mind after the first bowlful; this blend will grow on you. There are times that Condor satisfies when nothing else will.

Unfortunately, though, it not only grows on the pipesmoker...but also on his pipe; the traces of this tobacco will be there forever. And don't expect complements on the room aroma. Everyone in contact will ask, "what the ** are you smoking????" Proof positive that Latakia is not alone in provoking such responses.

Unique. Unforgetable. Wonderful.

Four out of four stars.

Pipesmoking101 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipesmoking101 (18)
Very Strong Strong Full Tolerable

On reading previous reviews, I purchased a corncob pipe for this in case I didn't like it, as I was aware of the fact that the flavour of this tobacco can permanently stain a pipe. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised by this tobacco. Whilst being aware of the strength from the first light, I didn't at any point find it overpowering. The room note is surprisingly mild also, for such a full-bodied smoke. I consider myself lucky to be here in the UK where we can get easy access to this tobacco, & I shall definitely be buying it again (along with a quality pipe which will be my dedicated Condor vessel!). Certainly not the best tobacco in the world, but a lot better that many & absolutely the superior supermarket brand by a country mile. Recommended - although do be aware that if you prefer a mild smoke, this is very unlikely to be your cup of tea. All those who enjoy a strong smoke though, would ignore this flake at their peril. I smoke most flakes by rolling into a plug, although I find that this smokes equally well either folded or rubbed. It also rubs out fairly easily. May require a few relights, & I can see why some has criticised it as high-maintenance, but the smoke is worth it, & it's easy to get the hang of maintaining the light after a few bowls.

DrDNA Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDNA (58)
Very Strong Strong Full Strong

Notes: My review is based on an older tin, perhaps 20-30 years old, as well as old and new pouched versions, so please take this into consideration when reading. These days, it is only available from the UK, and then only in the pouch form. Due to the residual scent remaining in the pipe, it may be best to dedicate a pipe to this mixture.

Appearance: A deep brown to nearly black oily, supple long-cut sliced tobacco, cut from a dense cake. It has virtually no tendency to flake apart and is easily folded to fit in the pipe, as is my preference. It gives the appearance of being strong, and I immediately got a picture in my head of some old salts sitting around laughing as a young novitiate pipe smoker earns his stripes through dry heaves after being induced to smoke a bowl of this.

Aroma: A very soapy, oily slightly bitter aroma. I detect English tea, Bergamot, Patchouli, and myrrh. The blends of the Lakeland district were known for this distinctively British ?floral? aromatic style, which often utilized Tonquin seed pods (from their colony of British Guyana) and the rind of limes as casing agents. This blend is fairly representative of this style. It has a slightly astringent quality when it hits the nostrils, which is reminiscent of the slightly alkaline odor of Ivory soap ? pleasant and pungent if you like that sort of thing. The density and uniformity of the aroma make it seem slightly daunting.

Taste: It lit easily with a single match and I was immediately presented with a classic soapy British Lakeland flavor. The blend was bitter on the lips quite soon, a sign of its high nicotine content. It is certainly not sweet, as many aged Virginia blends have a tendency to be, but it does not display a prominent Latakia flavor either. Instead, it is simply slightly bitter and perfumed, with a strong smoky Oriental-type flavor dominating. The flavors are very strong indeed: tarry, jammy, concentrated! Condor has an honest, pure tobacco flavor, contemplative and smoky, with a wonderfully integrated floral bouquet.

It struck me as exceptionally smooth and easy to smoke, and while not a simple blend, then a harmonious amalgam of its various components well wedded into an intense whole. In all I found this to be a very relaxing smoke. I personally prefer very strong, high-nicotine blends (e.g. Royal yacht et al), so this must be considered. Despite this, toward the end of the second bowl, my nose was running a bit and I felt a bit queasy for a moment when I got up. Now, I attribute this to the fact that my first two bowls of the day had been Condor (at around 8 a.m.), and perhaps it might be easier later in the day and not on an empty stomach.

After several bowlfuls, the flavors are consistent, with the tobacco burning down to a fine ash. It does give a bit of pipe gurgle, and the pipe cleaners always come out jet black with tarry resins, so I don?t recommend inhaling this one!

Comparisons: Nothing compares to Condor; the taste is distinctive, although it is clearly a Lakeland scented flake. It falls in line with Gawith's scented flakes, such as Nos. 1-7 and 1792, but the flavor is different, perhaps closest to Black Aromatic. Having compared this with the modern pouch version, I can say this much: when one smokes the modern version of this old favorite, one is reminded of the older version as a gentle memory softened with age. The new blend looks much the same but the tobacco is very lightly flavored and the nicotine strength is markedly diminished. The new pouch version is a faint and indistinct echo of the older Condor, like the barely discernable shadow of a great monument fading into the dusk at twilight.

Bottom Line: If you are looking for a very strong, high-nicotine blend with a pronounced soapy flavor, you may like this one.

Steerpike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steerpike (60)
Extremely Strong Medium to Strong Extra Full Overwhelming

Pheeeew... This is some rank weed! OK, I like St Bruno a lot when I'm in the mood, its strong but very enjoyable. But this is just taking it too far! Its like St bruno, but a little stronger and 10 times tarrier. When I first got it, I thought (Why, Ive no idea) that I should sample it in a realy big pipe, while taking a stroll in the park. This prooved to be a mistake, as I realised when my head started to spin halfway through the bowl. I sat down on a park bench, feeling like aqualung, and felt a pang of guilt when a bird fell lifeles from its perch in the tree above me... Alright, I exagerate a little perhaps. It seems to have been made in the same style as St Bruno, but far fouler. It makes a horrible, heavy, muggy smell, it tastes foul, like the flavours in Bruno but foul and too thick, and unlike the Bruno, it burns hot, and will all too easily bite. Pipecleaners come out black. I have a feeling that this stuff may not be so healthy.

A gentlemen I have bought old pipes from on the Preston Market, once advised me that his all day smoke of 20 years was a 50/50 mix of St Bruno and Condor. This I dutifully tried, and indeed despite my fears it was alright. It's not so heavy as neat Condor, more like beefed up St Bruno, and it does not burn hot or bite. If Im spending a weekend in the woods in the colder seasons (as I will this December), this is what Ill smoke. Rich, hearty, a little course, excellent tramping tobacco. As for neat Condor, Ill leave that to those who can tolerate it.

==============================Update=========================================

Having been overwhelmed by this weed, I later came to enjoy it greatly. Such is the way of things, I think the same has happened with all the lakeland flakes. I tried several and was initially put off by them, three years of living oop noorth and I came to understand them, and later to love them. I may also have manned up somewhat through exposure to Chips and Gravy and the horrors of Lancashire weather...

So, what is Condor? Condor is a VERY strong, VERY manly pipe tobacco. It is a dark, strong, cooked virginia flake with a traditional scent added to it. Soap and perfume indeed, and manly because of it.

This is a tobacco to smoke after doing an oil change on your Royal Enfield Bullet. Or after ploughing a field or laying a hedge. Or in a lock in in a pub after you've come back from a successful nocturnal expedition poaching with a long net with your fellows.

This is not a tobacco to smoke while posting self concious tobacco reviews on the internet! Nor is it to be smoked while at work in an office. You should not smoke this in a fancy wine bar, or while walking around John Lewis with your beloved.

Daniel Morlan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Daniel Morlan (50)
Strong Strong Full Very Pleasant

This is actually a very fine pipe tobacco. You would never dream the room note would be as good as it is by smelling the pouch. The actual pouch aroma was STUNNINGLY similar (believe it or not) to the virginias McClelland uses.

It's meant to be smoked slowly and patiently, and like all pipe tobaccos, I seem to HAVE to try and see if it'll bite me a little. It did (but not too bad). It's a fixation I have, I guess... I like to push the envelope. I did, in fact, as this pipe tobacco is a bit on the strong side. I smoked it to the very bottom of the bowl, 'til all that was left was a fine ash. It gets a little stout at the end, so if you're a little on the mild-liking, just smoke this wonderful stuff 'til it suits you.

I enjoyed this pipe tobacco from start to finish. I'll be buying some more in the not-too-distant future!

Let's see, I've done all but talk directly about the tobacco...

I used a match to char, another to light, and another to re-light. After that, only the tamper was needed. It's sweet, slightly spicy, and has a very "cologne-esque" taste to it. You WILL taste the casing unless your taste buds are kaput. It is a very full tobacco, so:

1.) Make sure you've eaten something... 2.) Make sure you're not going to be eating a mild dessert (like, say your wife's sumptuous banana pudding) because your tastes will be a bit mitigated for an hour or so. I am, however, enjoying some oregon chai, and I love the way it tastes, especially now.

I do all my reviews RIGHT AFTER I smoke 'em, so... There you go!

Condor is a real winner. Thanks Vagabond!

Wademan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wademan (1)
Very Strong Very Strong Very Full Tolerable

I have an internet friend, A widow lady, that lives in England. I was resently showing her my new Calabash pipe, over instant messenger on my web cam. She asked to send me a packet of her late husbands favorite tobacco. It turned out to be Condor original in a 50g pouch packet. A little reserch on my part turned up that this tobacco is no longer exported from the U.K. to North America. I waited in anxious antisapation for the Condor to arrive and having been forewarned that it was a blend that would leave a taste mark on your pipe, I purchased a corn cop pipe for this taste test. Well its a good thing I did because when the condor arrived I instantly recognized the aroma in the pouch as being highly perfumed, somewhat like Mixture 79, but much stronger. I filled the cob and lit the pipe and was at once nearly overwhelmed by the pungent perfumey flowery aroma. I nearly put the bowl out, but I braved a few more puffs. As the bowl settled in the perfume taste became less and less until finally at about the second 3rd of the bowl it became a very nice, strong, satisfying smoke. I am used to high nicotien content in my tobaccos, but this blend gave me the spins and I had to relax and slow down. The finish was very nice right to the end ashes and other than that first 1/3 of the bowl being overly perfumed this was a very good smoke. A side note: In huge letters across the entire pouch were the words "TOBACCO KILLS", I guess we Americans dont hold a monopoly on tobacco Natzi's. It looks like England has their fair share of them too..........Wademan

Bluebottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluebottle (18)
Strong Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

A heavy aroma greats the breaker of the seal on the packet of ready-rubbed I bought at my local convenience store. (it was 6:30pm and my tobacconist understandably had shut!)

The tobacco was in little brittle strips, and was very dry compared to my usual diet of light Virginia/Cavendish or aromatic blends. It was very easy to pack, but in order to keep this dry bushfire under control VERY slow smoking was necessary - so every once in a while I'd leave it too long and need to relight. Maybe it's just me smoking it wrong but it seemed very high maintenance to me.

High nicotine tobacco puts me right off, and here is no exception. There is a slight VA nuttiness breaking through the smoke, and this is in itself very tasty - hence the Mild/Med taste value. It is however intermittent - tailing off as the nicotine builds up toward the last quarter or so of the bowl.

A tolerable room note and very soft ash residue are the hallmarks of a well processed and refined mass production tobacco - But not of a great one!

Better mass-market VA can be found IMHO, see B&H Mellow Virginia.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (125)
Very Strong Strong Extra Full Strong

Condor is another tobacco that I have been smoking regularly for over twenty years. I smoke less of it than I once did now that it has become difficult to obtain. It is a very dark tobacco, and appears to be fully rubbed out from very thin flakes into short narrows strands and bits. The pouch aroma reminds me of fermented corn silage, sweet, strong and somewhat resiny. My guess is that it has been topped with an extract made from fermented sugar, corn or sorghum cane and probably a few other things I do not want to know about. It packs and lights easily in a little Peterson system, full bent #314, p-lip that I use only for Condor Original. As with Maltan, St. Bruno and other English scented flakes, the pipe can only be used for this specific tobacco. The aroma of the tobacco comes through from the first puff. The taste is sweet and tangy right in the middle of the tongue combined with the strong flavor of dark pressed English flake. This a more powerful smoke in every respect than is St. Bruno Flake. The nicotine content is extremely high and will get your ticker clicking. The taste effect is almost identical to heavily concentrated Perique, but is even stronger. The smoke is mild and carries no bite; it is all taste and nicotine. Other than the strange flavor, this is not a complex smoke. Each puff delivers the same piercing tang on the tongue and in the back of the throat. It burns to a powdery black/gray ash right down to the bottom of the bowl with very little tending. At times when I have had to relight it, swallowing has turned my stomach and given me the hiccups. While puffing on this tobacco during a sing-song in Kinsale, Ireland about a dozen years ago, I sat next to a gentleman who appeared to be in his mid to late seventies and who spent the evening rolling his own cigarettes from a pouch of Condor Original, so I concluded that this stuff will not necessarily kill you at an early age. I smoke it once or twice a week and enjoy the unique, exotic flavor. Paddy.