The special distinction of Condor pipe tobaccos lies in their superb flavour. Being pressed tobaccos, their taste, aroma and strength are in that perfect harmony so much appreciated by the most knowledgeable of smokers.

Condor ready rubbed, Britain's most popular pipe tobacco. After pressing and slicing, the tobacco is rubbed-out to a perfect density, ready for filling the pipe.

Notes: (The description above doesn't normally appear on single packets of Condor, this is from a multi pack box of five 50 grams packets.)

This was made in Ireland for many years, it is now made in Poland.

BrandGallaher Limited
Blended ByJapan Tobacco International
Manufactured ByJapan Tobacco International
FlavoringAlcohol / Liquor, Floral Essences, Other / Misc
Packaging50 grams pouch
Strength
Taste
Full

3.1
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The flavor of the Virginia is much sublimated, though I do get some earth, citrus, and a hint of grass along with the more obvious tangy deep dark fruit. The topping is a little perfumy and soapy, and definitely floral. There’s a slight sharpness to it that I associate with burley, so perhaps a little is present? Has a medium nic-hit. Won't bite or get harsh. Not as overwhelming as I had expected, but I consider this to be more for an experienced smoker. Fully flavored, burns slow with a very consistent taste, which is more of an acquired one for many smokers. It's not an all day smoke, but if this fits your flavor profile, repetition will enter your mind. Burns at a reasonable pace. Leaves little moisture in the bowl and no dottle. Has a pleasant after taste. Will ghost a pipe fast, so be prepared to either dedicate a briar or a cob to it. I suggest trying it out in a meer first.

Old at heart Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old at heart (9)
Medium to Strong Very Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

When i was a young lad my granfather smoked this out of a stinking old hand carved pipe, i sat by the calor gas fire and watched the clouds of smoke bash against the rain filled window. Even thinking about it makes me shiver , the older i get the more i see the similarity. He was a hard working man and spent most of his young life out at sea braving the cold wind clutching on to his wee blackened pipe and now i can see why. I smoke this in the morning when its cold , i smoke it when the snow sets in for the first time of the year. I smoke it with some stout which i think, is its natural friend and companion.

This baccy has strength , it will slap you in the face and call you a bitch, it has an overwhelming floral taste that will never leave the pipe you either curse or bless with this concoction. It never ever bites, it never ever ever tastes any different from what it usually does no matter what pace you smoke it at , its obviously drowned in casing. I never understood the soappy comment , perhaps some old lads need to buy better denture cleaner or perhaps stop washing there teeth out with fairy liquid ?

Its brash , its over cased , it has balls and it aint afraid to slap you with them .... but its also an old friend , one that many an irish or scottish son will remember with fondness. If you think yer hard enough give it a try , embrace how obnoxious it is. learn to love it.

BeamMeUpScotty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BeamMeUpScotty (3)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Was smoking Condor RR 50 years ago. Had a rest from smoking for many years and have come to my senses and realised what has been missing from my life - Condor! Am so happy to find my old friend again having come back to the Pipe. Condor is so readily available still, thank the Lord. Burns so well and really confirms that life still holds so much pleasure for an old guy like me. Bless you Condor.

smokemonkey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokemonkey (3)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Strong

Oh I love this tobacco and as a standard over the counter sale general tobacco makes it even more remarkable.. lol soapy, nooo it's the balsamic taste due to adding pine chips during the smoke curing process. it's the taste of the orient, of exotic Lebanese cedars blah blah and you say 'soapy'.. giggle.. a very typical English lakeland blend with a twist.. try it.. you may not hate it..

Pipe Used: all sorts but my parker jockey zulu mostly

Age When Smoked: new-as i can't wait not to smoke

Purchased From: everywhere

LlewBlue Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LlewBlue (3)
Mild Strong Medium to Full Overwhelming

Condor is the ultimate Marmite tobacco! This blend is for anyone who enjoys smoking a tobacco that smells and tastes of carbolic soap and burns very hot and with serious tongue bite. I actually had friends leave the room from the "Palmolive Pong!" At first I thought it was my pipe so I switched to a Peterson Churchwarden in the hopes that it was just my previous blend interfering with the Condor... no such luck; I turn the loveliest shade of Irish Racing Green to match my Churchwarden's bowl and put it aside. And to add insult to injury, my Churchwarden now smells like the washing powder aisle at Tesco's! All I can say is that although some swear by Condon, I think I'm in the opposite camp and swear AT it instead.

Purchased From: Tesco

Similar Blends: Iraqi nerve gas one should think!.

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Tolerable to Strong

Another staple over the counter blend in the UK..

Loads stronger than St Bruno though equally as soapy. Really does pack a punch if you inhale this stuff.

Again not bad for what it is, and I'd smoke it if I couldn't get hold of say Petersons IF, or Gawith's dark flake.

2/1/14 UPDATE - I'm upgrading this to 3 stars. Probably the best OTC along with St Bruno Flake that's available in the UK.

Proper old school tobacco, that reminds me of thick set old codgers smoking large chin hugging, deep red wine coloured rusticated pipes.

The blue haze that emanates from their direction being Condor.... This blend is definitely comparable to any specialist, bespoke, or premier online blend.

Not quite a 4 star as the floral notes are a tad overdone, but with some ageing and drying out they should settle.

A strong smash mouth nicotine hit will keep your puffing honest.

Not bad..

Pipe Used: Toilet

Purchased From: A hedgehog that was crossing the road...

Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

I was recently sent a sample pouch of Condor from a friend in England as this tobacco is not available in the USA. It is remarkably powerful in the nicotine department and reminded somewhat of a few of the stronger Gawith & Hogarth tobacco offerings.

Condor is a Virginia/Burley mix, with some topped black cavandish thrown in to round out the field. The topping gains strength at the mid-bowl point, and I did not find it to be pleasant - a bit soapy in fact.

The quality of the leaf was typical for a pouch tobacco blend; good, but not top-shelf. Thick smoke and very dry ash that will scramble from the pipe onto your clothes made this an unusual smoking experience for me. While I will finish the pouch, I shall not go seeking more. I much prefer St. Bruno Ready-Rubbed. Both have a topping added, but Condor's topping is too soapy. I certainly would not cry if this was the only available tobacco in the world, but I would not be giddy with excitement either.

FiremanMick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FiremanMick (11)
Medium to Strong Strong Very Full Pleasant

My best loved tobacco of all time.Pure nostalgia in every bowl.Roaming around the streets of industrial east Manchester as a boy it seemed every pipesmoker smoked this blend.Heavenly sweet and pungent aroma (yes,floral!).Having smoked many differing blends both English and Aromatic over the decades I always come home to the mighty Condor. Perfect moisture from the packet.....one good charring light,tamp then enjoy. Very well behaved in the pipe not needing constant tamping.Very floral taste on first light but soon settles down to a good heavy licquerish deep tobacco taste.You either like Condor or you don't. Must admit it has put many a prospective pipesmoker off piping for life...Ben asked many a time "thinking of taking up a pipe Mick...give us a blast"...they all turned the colour of the packet (green) .

Pipe Used: Petersons,Falcon,Barlings etc

Age When Smoked: Straight from packet

Purchased From: Virtually anywhere in UK

Similar Blends: Walnut Flake or St Bruno..

Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable

Given some of this in a trade with St. Bruno Flake and Mick McQuaid Plug, because I wanted to try some blends avaliable only in the UK. This stuff has that "Lakeland" thing going on, and I like it! Shag is not my favorite cut, so detract a little for that. It reminds me of certain SG and GH offerings, but the quality seems just a wee bit less. Maybe it is just the shag cut, I don't know. No major complaints, though. The blend can be a little harsh when puffed too exuberantly, but for me at least, never burns my mouth or throat. So, this is a newsstand pouch in jolly old England? Good show, then. I have had good results using this as a blender with a light, neutral Virginia, and this is what I may use the rest of my sample for. This is not to say that I mind it by itself. It is unique and somewhat raw in its taste, but manages to turn this quality into a positive attribute.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

4 stars, it's all been said, a classic English lakeland style blend, easily available everywhere in the UK and Ireland....it's a must try and buy when visiting the islands. 2 Warnings: it will ghost with that lavender flavor AND, bring some extra cash on holidays....7.50 euros for a 25grm packet...ouch!

SmileyOrb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmileyOrb (15)
Strong Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable to Strong

Distinctive old school English tobacco, purchased over the counter.

Whilst I prefer St. Bruno, thought I try Condor for a change. I haven't smoked this for ages and now I have a more mature palate I enjoy this far more than a few years ago. The tobacco kick is strong, with a nutty rum floral taste... It's a good easy smoke. But you need to smoke it slowly for better enjoyment. If your are new to pipe smoking then I advise to treat it gently otherwise your head will spin! Glad to say that this is a fine mass produced tobacco and suggest a dedicated pipe as the bowl holds the taste. For me it brings back memories of rainy days staying indoors by the fire with my grandfather. It hasn't changed in its aroma, although if you smoke this like no tomorrow the room note can be slightly overpowering. Thoroughly recommend, for the memories and for the ebb and flow of a good pleasant relaxing smoke. Light pipe with matches makes it taste better. Enjoy!

Pipe Used: Parker straight

Age When Smoked: 47

Purchased From: Newsagents, London UK

LondonCalling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LondonCalling (12)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

Ah, that Condor Moment! (As the ad used to say before the days of the health fascists) Condor separates the men from the boys, and the sheep from the goats. It's not a polite blend. It's strong enough to turn an inexperienced smoker the colour of the packet, and even a seasoned smoker will find plenty to satisfy the most urgent craving. It can bite if not handled with care. And although not as persistent as the likes of Ennerdale Flake, it will ghost your pipe. From the packet there's an aroma of ripe fruits, figs, and spice. Some would have it that Condor has the Lakeland flavour, but I think that's misleading. There's none of the rose / geranium / soapy' scent: it's something much darker. It comes a tad moist, and needs a substantial lighting. The first half of the bowl is woodsy, bitter, with heavy fruity overtones. Later it develops a wonderful incense-like dimension. And for all its strength, it's worth smoking Condor down into the dottle. Although it can kick like a mule, for me it's towards the end of the smoke that it really comes into its own. At the end it burns down to the very bottom, leaving virtually nothing but a speck of clean dry ash. For me, Condor is like a security blanket: reliable; dependable; always available. But beware: it's the kind of security which comes equipped with a side-arm, large dog, and a lot of muscle.

Pipe Used: My father's old quarter-bent Benson & Hedges pot

Age When Smoked: Smoked from date of purchase

Purchased From: Co-Op store

PSLion Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PSLion (2)
Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

This was my first ever tobacco, many moons ago. I'd just managed to get a pipe, and was looking for something to put in it. As this was over the counter (indeed, the only pipe tobacco in my local newsagents at the time) I opted for it and went about enjoying my first smoke.

At first I found the taste quite remarkable, but not in a good way. However, I had read that the first few bowls of any pipe tobacco are rather... odd to anyone who's never smoked a pipe before (or in my case, never smoked anything before) so I stuck with it. I had no idea about technique or pacing myself, so the strength of this brand kicked me about a fair bit. After a good many bowls of unpleasant smoking and nausea, I threw the rest of the pouch away and vowed never to return.

Eight years later, and my local tobacconists was closed (cursed Sundays) so I had to go for something 'off the shelf' to smoke. I decided, having learnt somewhat about pipe smoking, to give Condor Original another try. My first mouthful of smoke tasted of nothing but soap, which did fade away after a while but was still a little surprising nonetheless. The taste was otherwise exactly as I remembered it - thick, quite meaty (as in, you almost felt like you had to chew - steak flavoured tobacco would be a strange experiment I'd certainly like to try though), but this time quite pleasing. A cool smoke throughout, which packed easily and needed no re-lighting once it had gotten going. Taking great care, I really enjoyed the smoke and this time made it all the way through the pouch without feeling ill once.

So, Condor Original (Ready Rubbed) is a strong experience that will knock your socks off if you don't treat it nicely. Certainly not one for a timid beginner, but maybe a good start for a beginner who has a guide on hand to teach them the proper way of doing things. There's plenty for the seasoned smoker to enjoy, though the soapy start could be the part that ruins the experience for most.

Medium to Strong Strong Full Very Pleasant

Gallaher Limited - Condor Ready Rubbed (Green).

I've been re-writing a few of my early reviews that I didn't think much to, and here's another I thought I could improve!

Now, if anyone has bothered to read my profile page on Tobacco Reviews, it says how I suffered a traumatic head injury: knocked off motorbike by some cretin, comatose for best part of three months, hospitalized for a year, and left with some issues. I'm not trying to tug on anyone's heart strings, but this got me through some dark moments: a relaxing bowl of Condor R.R. after a day of physiotherapy, was always well appreciated!

Anyhoo, on with review: in the pouch resides a dark brown, very well broken flake, of a decent hydration (this pouch is, it can arrive too moist, but never too dry). It smells heavily cased: the floral attribute rules the aroma. The ignition depends on the moistness of the pouch in question, this lit well. The flavour, however, doesn't fluctuate any from pouch to pouch: heavily cased Lakeland. I guess it could be perceived as being soapy, but that's never been an issue to me. I find, like the pouch-note, the floral side rules. The tobaccos' are mild in flavour; the topping masks them to a certain extent. The burn from Condor R.R. is one I've always found good, and the smoke's quite cool.

The nicotine's pretty strong, and I love the room-note.

Condor Ready Rubbed? For a myriad of reasons, sentimental value being one of them, I'm highly recommending it.

Four stars.

Pipe Used: Jake Hackert (for this review)

Purchased From: Various, usually My Smoking Shop U.K.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (191)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco was crafted by the devil. Slow burning, addictive and oh! so unassuming. It will bewitch you or worse, disgust you if you are one of those paladins with the gift to see beyond the devil's work.

The matured Virginias, mellow and creamy, with some hay and tanginess, become fuller as the smoke progresses. The floral, lavender like topping, while quite strong, works in symbiosis with the Virginias, adding to the whole flavor profile. The tobacco and topping never fight for dominance but work to provide smoking pleasure.

This old school tobacco is perfect for a chilly, damp and wet day, it helps you to accept and to put things into perspective... a contemplative experience.

Jorge Soler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jorge Soler (129)
Medium to Strong Strong Full Pleasant

This is one of the great OTC pouch tobaccos of all time. In the description above it reads "Virginia" in the contents box, but I am not sure if I believe this. For one thing it is full-bodied. Secondly, it feels like you are smoking a burley of some sort. Were it not for the strong aromatics, I'd say it is pretty similar to St. Bruno, both in composition and strength. It seems like it wants to be smoked well moist, and once you get it going it is quite easy to keep lit. The flavoring is reminiscent of floral essences and tastes quite sweet. I cannot detect any tongue bite and does not seem to smoke hot despite its moist content. For $6 a pouch in Spain I think it's really good value for money as well, so based on all of this I think it deserves 4 stars.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum bowl on a Falcon pipe.

Mesh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mesh (50)
Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Tolerable

As a fairly new pipe smoker back in 2009 or so, I bought a 25-gram pouch of this from the local corner shop, opened it, smelled it, and threw it straight into the bin. The smell of an old-ladies' bingo hall... why on earth would they put that into a tobacco?

As a big fan of Lakeland-style blends these days, I now realise I must have had more money than sense (and I didn't have much money!). Condor RR is a stout, rich, dark and, for me at least, extremely satisfying smoke. Yes, it's perfumy, which is just one of those things in life that will divide opinion. It isn't an everyday blend for me, and there are a good few blends I prefer over it in the Lakeland genre, but I can easily recommend CRR to anyone who likes strong tobacco and has an open mind.

L'Italiano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
L'Italiano (170)
Strong Strong Full Pleasant

Strong tobacco, with an unusual, particular taste. Precisely this is straight Virginia but in my opinion it is flavored with deer tongue. This is the reason why very few tobaccos present this strange taste. I like it but we have to admit that this flavoring is rather overwhelming. So this is not a straight pure Virginia but a flavored Virginia. I’m not sure about the presence of Alcohol, perhaps… Anyway it doesn’t matter. I recommend everybody trying it because it has a very particular taste. Give it a chance. In my personal rating (from 1 to 10) my score is 8 and three stars.

Monopod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Monopod (24)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Overwhelming

I must have growed up a bit since this last made me sick. I had it out of desperation once, and the dear wife bought me quite a few pouches of it, so I didn't have the heart to complain. After a few smokes, however, all my memories of times with my head down the loo faded, and I ended up smoking it out of preference. Dear me, how we change with age. It's one of the few tobaccos that I get the occasional whiff of a really good cigar from, but the substances other reviewers purport to get from it, including spoiling pipes with the "Ghost?" have so far evaded me. I'm still trying other tobaccos that I haven't tried before, or I'm refreshing my acquaintance with, but with the supermarket price war still on, it's a reliable product and the savings are attractive enough to keep me going back.

Purchased From: Tesco, Asda, etc.

Similar Blends: It's said to be similar to GH&co. Coniston Cut Plug, but they don't seem similar to me. There's enough difference to make me buy either or both and smoke them separately..

Granny Smith Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Granny Smith (25)
Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

This is the best OTC tobacco available in the UK...of that I have no doubt. I've loved each and every bowlful I've ever smoked. There's a creamy aftertaste left in the mouth that is absolutely wonderful and comes after a brilliantly intense smoke. I just love this stuff so much that when I die I want to be cremated with my pockets stuffed full of the stuff. At least that way I'll go out with a mesmerising aroma. One thing I will say is that this blend may not suit new pipesmokers as I hear many moaning about a soapy taste. I don't see that but I can see how this could be too overpowering for new pipe smokets. Still when you get used to puffing on the briar you will want to try this....you'll fall in love immediately

UPDATE - I recently had the winning bid on an unopened ounce of Condor dating back to the 1970's and it was an incredible smoke... so smooth and quite different to current day Condor. I'm not sure if this was due to the aging of the virginia or that the blend was different back in the day, but what an incredible smoke this was.

Pipe Used: Petersons

Similar Blends: Heaven on a Sunday.

Medium to Strong Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Certainly a fairly strong and perfumed smoke; if neither appeal, stay far, far away. While the scents used are a bit on the strong side for me, it made a nice change of pace. I seem to get a bit more of the underlying tobacco in the folded flake than in the ready-rubbed, while in the latter the scents are a bit stronger.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Strong

i tried this tobacco many years ago and iam glad i didnt review it as my knowledge of tobacco and taste variation was concluded to captain black..not to say i am an english tobacco smoker as i went back to aromatics with arms wide open but i tried my share of non aromatics and this tobacco has improved to my personal rating much more. easy packed and hold the fire very well, mellow and no tongue bite of any kind, strong in the nic department and have a lakeland soapy incence smell and flavor to it, the room note is not some thing that you would please your surrounding with (hell even i didnt like it) but all an all its a very nice otc blend..could use some drying though. to my tatse i found this tobacco to earn its righteous place with a cup of earl gray tea (very complementing taste-wise).

Moe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Moe (46)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Tolerable

Condor is a full flavored, nicotine fortified, love it or hate it blend. I happen to love it. Hard to come by in the states and having it shipped from Europe (unless you live there) will grab your wallet Its strong flavor will haunt your pipe, so smoke it in a meer, or a cob the first time to make sure you like it. I believe cloves to be a flavoring.

henwrench Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
henwrench (16)
Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Floral? Yep Soapy? Yep Cool? Yep Slow Burning? Not for me!!

Admittedly, the prospect of a floral, soapy smoke doesn't sound appealing, but this is one hell of a great smoke any time of day or night. Just get some! No bite, I find a good half hour drying is needed to calm down the soapy edge. I also prefer this in a bigger bowl, loosely packed and I can see her off in about 30 mins, ideal for a quick, strong smoke...

The Full English Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Full English (31)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

This review completes my experiment with the three major commercially available tobacco brands in rubbed form here in the UK - those being Clan, St. Bruno, and Condor. The latter is, without a doubt, the best, and proves that there is some credence in entrusting your choices locally, as opposed to the specialist.

Without a doubt, this is a classic Lakeland style tobacco, but although the usual floral scent and soapy taste that usually fires a warning shot is present, I find the casing to be much more acceptable and palatable than that found in many other brands - notably the Gawiths. Indeed, it's a good deal more nectarous, slightly spicy, and a damn sight more unusual, without impinging on what seems to be a naturally sweet Virginia base.

I don't find this to be particularly overly cased, nor that potent, if truth be told. The flavours seem well-balanced and seemed a far cry from the "Condor Moment" which smacked of the sourness you'd expect from some of the more pungent Burleys in the Peterson line. It does contain a good dose of the old Vitamin N, but it's well managed.

The only downsides are really the ghosting and the need for several re-lights; though it's a moist tobacco that burns surprisingly well, it becomes a bit top- heavy with ash. Furthermore, the room note is a tad monotonous and a touch off- putting for some, but everything is there in the smoke itself, which really sings. I can't dedicate a pipe to this, so I'm anticipating some aftercare with my Peterson System, but it's a small price to pay for a quality smoke that I can purchase where I want, when I want - and in smaller pouch sizes that neither break the bank, nor become boring.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (127)
Very Strong Strong Extra Full Strong

Condor is another tobacco that I have been smoking regularly for over twenty years. I smoke less of it than I once did now that it has become difficult to obtain. It is a very dark tobacco, and appears to be fully rubbed out from very thin flakes into short narrows strands and bits. The pouch aroma reminds me of fermented corn silage, sweet, strong and somewhat resiny. My guess is that it has been topped with an extract made from fermented sugar, corn or sorghum cane and probably a few other things I do not want to know about. It packs and lights easily in a little Peterson system, full bent #314, p-lip that I use only for Condor Original. As with Maltan, St. Bruno and other English scented flakes, the pipe can only be used for this specific tobacco. The aroma of the tobacco comes through from the first puff. The taste is sweet and tangy right in the middle of the tongue combined with the strong flavor of dark pressed English flake. This a more powerful smoke in every respect than is St. Bruno Flake. The nicotine content is extremely high and will get your ticker clicking. The taste effect is almost identical to heavily concentrated Perique, but is even stronger. The smoke is mild and carries no bite; it is all taste and nicotine. Other than the strange flavor, this is not a complex smoke. Each puff delivers the same piercing tang on the tongue and in the back of the throat. It burns to a powdery black/gray ash right down to the bottom of the bowl with very little tending. At times when I have had to relight it, swallowing has turned my stomach and given me the hiccups. While puffing on this tobacco during a sing-song in Kinsale, Ireland about a dozen years ago, I sat next to a gentleman who appeared to be in his mid to late seventies and who spent the evening rolling his own cigarettes from a pouch of Condor Original, so I concluded that this stuff will not necessarily kill you at an early age. I smoke it once or twice a week and enjoy the unique, exotic flavor. Paddy.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Strong Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Is this named after the Condor Legion? That would be appropriate, as English-made aromatics often do bring mass-murder to mind. Thick, fruity, syrupy, this blend, which, like many hard-to-get imports, had a positive vogue a few years back, might be pleasing to a fruit-sucking bat in some tropical setting, but not to this super-liberal, cold-loving, snow-frisking, my-only-homeland-is-the-Winter New Yorker. This smells like a swamp on fire.

If you must smoke Nivea creme, try ST BRUNO instead. IT tastes like tobacco, not bat droppings.

Greekpipesmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Greekpipesmoker (153)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

Lakeland blends in my opinion have haters and lovers.this one is my first try from the condor series.once the seal breaks a perfumy and alcohol smell comes out accompanied from some grass and citrus notes.the dark blend has medium moisture and drying is not helpfull though the lighting is not difficult.while burning you instantly get this characteristic lakeland soapy flavour.froral and alcohol notes are in the front from the beggining till the end.the virginias are subtlimated from the toppings wich are very sweet though some grass,earth and citrus notes are in the backround.burns slow and medium hot to ash with some moisture at the end of the bowl and a lot at the filter.room note is tolerable and the aftertaste very sweet.the nicotine level is almost high with a feel of burning in your oesophagus.not an all day smoke due to high nicotine level.it can be a pipe ghoster.i also recommend smoking this blend in a small bowl.

Pipe man9697 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe man9697 (3)
Strong Medium Full Pleasant

When I first tasted it all I got was a soapy flavour and a big nicotine hit that made me feel quite ill ! Subsequent bowls have been totally different. No soapy flavour whatsoever and a delicious rich creamy smoke with light floral tones and the occasional hint of whisky.As the bowl progresses the creaminess increases and you get a very relaxing reliable almost meditative smoke - a real Condor moment. Do I prefer it to St Bruno ? No but is it a lovely smoke that's available anywhere in the UK ? Yes.

Pipe Used: Cargill briar

Age When Smoked: From new pouch

Purchased From: Asda ( Walmart )

crapgame1967 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
crapgame1967 (55)
Very Strong Extra Strong Overwhelming Strong

I tried this in 2001 or '02 and still can't shake the memories of this tobacco. It came as a gift from a friend in Ireland who wanted me to try a "TRUE" pipe tobacco.

Well this Yank was not able to smoke this, as much as I wanted to enjoy this tobacco I could not get past the taste. To me it tasted like someone added way too much cardamon to an Indian dinner.

I know this is a very popular tobacco but I just can't bring myself to ever trying this again,it is just not my kind of tobacco.

Recommended for those that enjoy Lakeland tobaccos, run and hide from this if you dont like Lakeland tobaccos.

Pipe Used: The already ghosted pipes I recieved as a gift

Age When Smoked: unknown

Purchased From: Gifted

hawky454 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hawky454 (93)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

It's amazing that this is considered an "over the counter" tobacco in some countries. The dark brown flakes come packaged in a sealed pouch suitable for short term storage. I like to cube cut the flakes and gravity fill my pipe. The top dressing was added with a conservative hand and it adds amazing nuances to the natural flavors of the tobacco. I get some floral notes along with citrus notes that intertwine beautifully with the overall composition of tobaccos. Think St. Bruno but with a more stout, full bodied base and you've got a good idea of what you'll get from Condor. I let the flakes dry out for about 15 minutes before I light up and it smokes effortlessly all the way down. I consider this to be a top shelf tobacco so don't let the "OTC" label turn you off, this is as good as it gets, I absolutely adore this stuff. You may want to try it out in a cob as it most definitely will ghost your briar however, I welcome this ghost. I'll always have a place in my cellar for the almighty Condor, long live Condor! Absolutely, definitely essential.

A Scot in Argentina Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A Scot in Argentina (13)

Having gone through 4 50g pouches of this over the last year I thought I'd give it a review after reviewing its Long Cut brother today. Given a choice I'd always opt for the Long Cut Condor Flake rather than the Ready Rubbed however I do prefer flakes. I feel they might keep the flavour longer although that could be all in the mind rather than fact as the smoking experience is much the same. Truth be told as long as they keep producing either I shall not complain. So my review of this one is along the same lines as the Long Cut, a flavoursome cool smoke, despite me not being someone who likes to puff away too much it stays lit. Room note is pleasant enough. I know Condor isn't to everyone's taste but worth giving it a go at least once in order to decide for yourself. Don't be put off by the aromatic tag....it's more of a hybrid.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (171)
Mild Very Strong Medium Tolerable

Pouch aroma reminds me of my Aunt Shirley with her Rose and Sandalwood perfume.

I'm sorry, but I just can't do it. I smoked about a half a bowl of this and it absolutely incinerated the back of my throat. It's not tongue bite, it's a chemical type burning. Although pouch moisture was spot on, it smokes dry and acrid. I've been a career firefighter for 16 years, and I have never had any smoke burn my throat the way this has, and I've been in some nasty fires. I enjoy Lakeland florals tremendously but not this. Sorry!

Similar Blends: Satan's lair, 4 alarm fire at a bleach plant, The Works toilet bowl cleaner on your toothbrush, Life Buoy Soap.

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (166)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

I did not really get the soapy taste that others have described. It reminded me a little of Rattry's Hal O the Wynd. It has a nice flavor that is not overly aromatic. It aso has a nice nic hit.

MJG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MJG (16)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Leaf: A mix of rubbed and broken flake, with a few slightly larger, but still very small, chunks of flake here and there.there. Colors range from medium brown to slightly more or slightly less medium brown.

Tin Aroma: The aroma is very strong. There is an acidity that jumps up your nose,there is tangy sweetness, a little floral note and then a good dose of some sort of alcoholic flavouring, it is almost a little acrid. The tail end is a raisin like note that make you realise 'this actually smells all right now I think about it'. You will go back for another sniff... is that Grandma's old perfume?

Taste: With the first puff I got a strong floral/soapy hit, I got a bitterness and a bit of tang, then I got the flavour of whatever alcohol this is flavoured with. I tasted the flavouring at the back of my mouth as I do with a scotch or bourbon, but I couldn't tell what this was, it was nice enough though. The soapiness made its way to the rear and the Sweetness of the Virginia came through for the rest of the bowl. It was earthy, tangy, bitter-sweet, and very robust, the floral hint and the little soapiness never disappeared. It really comes together in a nice smoke though, it seems well balanced, the flavours are strong and consistent throughout. If you don't like the Lakeland floral experience, or bar of soap style some people sense it as, you won't like this. If you aren't averse to it this stuff makes for a pleasant and flavoursome smoke. It has really grown on me, and watch out, it really grows on your pipe too! Who you gonna call? Ghostbusters!

Smokeability: Fire danger = Extreme. This stuff is very easy to light, and stays lit with practically no maintenance. Straight from the tin, got going with one match, no relights, and very little left but white dust at the end. It doesn't burn hot or bite, and seems to not mind how it is packed, or which bowl you use. It billows decent smelling white smoke the whole time.

DISCLAIMER: It has a decent Nic kick to it, which I didn't expect as I puffed away like mad on Huge bowls of this stuff. It got me, the bastard, snuck up on me it did. It felt nice though... a suprise for such an easy smoking and simple blend.

Summary: It is actually quite a nice tobacco, a bit different for me due to the floral and soapy tastes, which aren't what I consider overpowering, not by a long shot is this stuff bad. It appears the taste is how it is intended to be and typical for some Lakeland blends, and it is worth giving a chance if for nothing other than to expand your palette, and the Nicotine of course. Much like the Player's I recently reviewed, this seems to be a no fuss, no frills OTC blend that probably has a huge cult following of old codgers shouting praises at the heavens about it, and I can't blame them. It only seems to be available in the U.K and a few other countries they stole (Except Australia, but we are only Convicts anyway..) so U.S buyers will pay a premium plus postage which makes it hard to recommend to you. For people who can find it, go for it, I am pleased with my new experience with Condor.

Reggietom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Reggietom (7)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Very Strong

Another good 'GO TO', over the counter tobacco. I always have a pouch of this around for those days when a big nicotine hit, Condor Moment, is needed.
Must be be smoked slowly because it will bite your tongue and if you inhale it will knock you back a bit, but I don't mind that.
I smoke it in my Dr Plumb Dinky because it does tend to ghost the pipe.

Pipe Used: Dr Plumb Dinky

Purchased From: Tesco Roborough Plymouth UK

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (91)

...While I prefer the Long Cut, this in short. is a great classic British tobacco!

I have smoked Condor for many years and it has always been in my top 10 tobaccos. Packs, lights, and behaves well in any pipe, and I smoke this throughout the day without issue. I also appreciate the floral/parfume scent, and there is nothing quite like it anywhere.

Agreed...you either love it or dislike it...no in between...I don't reserve any pipe for this and smoke it in all of my pipes. It is now difficult to buy unless you have someone who can send it to you...and I have it shipped to me every 2 months...Never tiring, hardly a day goes by without at least one bowl!

...a pipe is to be savored...

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (139)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

It was with great trepidation that I first opened up the packet to this, my first foray into this tobacco. Having tried Condors' fantastic long cut, I was a little worried that this might be like a bands' difficult second album, or a sequel to a fantastic film, you're never quite sure it will live up to expectations. Luckily, I think, it turned out more Beverly Hills Cop II than III.

The aroma upon first smell was a heady rich mixture of the original movie, SGs' fabled Squadron Leader and a more pleasant incarnation of largely atrocious Mellow Virginia. Packing is fairly easy, though, due to the large ribbons, a little care is needed. This also makes it a little harder to light than most ribbons, but it's no really biggie. The taste in the mouth is just fantastic, a mixture of Long Cut and a nicer Mellow Virginia. The room note is very good, and has a way of just nicely hanging around the place, popping up every so often to provide a pleasant reminder of a thoroughly good smoke.

A very good everyday tobacco, so good in fact, that I smoke it to the exclusion of my other stashes of the naughty leaf and finished my first 50g packet inside a week. It is a heavy smoke though, not for beginners, but can be sampled regular with no big deal once you're used to it. If Condor Long Cut is a fine steak to be eaten best in the evening, this would be a fine bacon - good all day round.

Scamp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scamp (20)
Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

One of the first tobaccos I ever smoked in a pipe. Good, strong old school baccy. In my opinion a good all round smoke. Nuff said.

who broke my clay pipe? Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
who broke my clay pipe? (61)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable

I deleted my old review of this because i felt it was now obsolete and i felt like something to write about this popular british OTC enigma,so if you feel like something to read; let me waste a minute of you life.

Condor ready rubbed

'Making friends with an old enemy'

I have been piping for about 7 or 8 years;in that time only one tobacco ever kicked my ass and it was this;it hit me like an uppercut to the solaplexus and left me winded and spunout(i was a novice at the time).. I really wanted to like this one for this act alone because it had commanded my respect in the nicoteen department even if i was not sure of the taste.

I hadn't forgot this strange tobbaco and out of morbid curiosity of wanting a rematch i went to sainsbury's and bought a 50g pouch as a folly,as well as my regular golden virginia rollup (I had bought an estate pipe on ebay recently,and whilst examining it i sniffed the bowl and it smelled of 'condor the king of floral pipe ghosts',so i decided that this would be a dedicated condor pipe whether i liked it or not).

When i got home i anxiously sniffed the unopened pouch to see if i could smell the pouch aroma that was inside,because in my memory this was the strangest smelling tobacco i had so far experienced(i couldn't actually smell anything BTW)

Anyway i took a few preparing breaths,tore open the packet and took a big (over the top) 'condor moment' sniff and then thought for a few seconds,then took another(this went on for a few times):its not as strong as i seem to remember it(possibly because i knew what i was expecting) and it has a slightly sweeter smell than i remember. Pouch aroma is still a strange one though;Pick'n'Mix foam pink shrimps sweets, meets domestic cleaning product ala wood scented wood polish,green smooth in the round tin 'swarfega' mechanics hand soap, brings long lost aromas and dejavue of my youth in the 70's;opening tins and sniffing things in my dads shed, and furniture polish of our wooden cased ITT television..

The pouch appearance wasn't as dark as my memory seems to remember either(i have since smoked 'revor plug' and 'black xx');a dark brown rubbed flake,no predrying necessary this was ready and easy to load.I then transfered the whole pouch into a glass kilner clip sealed jar incase this was going to be save it for later type. I pulled out an unused fresh 6" clay pipe for an accurate review and loaded up with that certain "i don't know why i am doing this" russian roulette wearyness/anticipation,lit it up and noted from my previous experience two cautions to be utterly obeyed; 1) do not over puff, 2)do not under any circumstances inhale!

Ok;it lights ok,smoked ok,and still tasted 'strange' but ok;I initially got placebo symptoms where my emergency body responce mechanism got ahead of itself and my heart was beating a bit and my stomach moved like a washing machine,but it wasn't nausia(infact i needed a shit and this was the first pangs) My previous notes from my first experience seem exagerated in places(due to overwhelming impression at the time),but certain factors still stand.regarding the omnipresent 'lavender soap' aspect.

After a 1/4" had been smoked;the mystery topping diminishes somewhat to reveal the qualities of the tobacco (dark fired virginia,strong nutty burley,light unsweetened cavendish?) underneath which can be momentarily quite meaty in a tinned dogfood type way(as a toddler i would help the dog consumme its 'pedigree chum') Simularities to other tobacco brands i know;'revor plug' meets 'irish flake';i may prefer this to irish flake i think because it occupies a more individual slot between 'university flake' and revor plug',whereas 'irish flake' although strong in nicoteen;i just prefer the taste of 'university flake'. This may of been my first 'burley',so its no wonder it took me out the first time when i was first inhaling it(plus alcohol).

Half way down the bowl the topping softens again from the lavender to a taste more akin to 'Barrets foam pink shrimps' penny sweets ;another unique flavour which only pink shrimps seem to taste like pink shrimps.Although these aromatic properties are present,i do not call this an 'aromatic' tobacco;its just a strong tobacco with a unique topping.

The nicoteen is about on par with 'revor plug' i would say. It can burn hotter,or seems to be felt that way in my clay compared to my long ago briar experience, but still cool and tastes clearer than my first time.( by sipping and keeping two fingers over the bowl to preserve the chamber heat at the top ,its a nice steady puffers puff of a smoke right from the go).

Floral Factor: The floral factor in this blend in no way compares to 'lakeland's' rose/pinewood-esque essence;this is something more artificial and applied,but it doesn't effect the smoking properties,it just adds an aromatic note.Its like comparing perfume to an air freshener(condor is an air freshener)

Soap Factor: The soap factor is another area where condor differs from other 'kings of soap';its soapness is not like a 'cold cream' bar of white soap or like lemon washing up liquid,but mainly more of a sweet glycerine fruity lavender soap ,,with a mild liquid hand soap aroma/airosol sweet beeswax wood polish,and swarfega/lux flakes essence for added measure,, which is ok,intersting and not atringent or penetrating of the mucus of my pallette

Condor has a natural sweetness,which suggests an unflavoured casing or maybe a touch of cavendish(cavendish is usually made from burley i think),,;the sweetness does not spoil or turn acidic, and infact is more akin to artificial sweetener than sugar..

No tongue bite makes this one of the best OTC british pipe tobacco's and i now consider this up there with 'erinmore flake'.If i could locate some easy i would be intersted in trying the flake variant of condor because flake in general has a slower burn rate better for burley.

Burns to a dry ash with no real dottle(in my clay at least)and proved to be a low maintenance reliable smoker.The tobacco quality itself is not quite as rich as peterson standard(it has a slight cardboardness)but in its OTC nostalgic economy it out performs a few more expensive tins and for the images it conjours in my mind of good times long past and the way it tested me out the first time this gets a full 4 stars**(i am now a pipe jedi after all)..

I got through the pouch quite rapidly without smoking anything else in between,and it makes a solid well behaved alldayer;i know for certain that i will be keeping some of this in my permanent rotation.

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (108)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This one took some getting used to for me, in the end I liked it and may get some more while I'm here in europe, but it was a challenging blend. The smell out of the pouch is very soapy with overtones of hay. I recommend this particular blend for cobs and clays. It packs quite easily and for me I found it tasted better in non briar pipes, not sure why, particularly enjoyed smoking it out of my clay, but it seemed to take a natural liking to my MM Diplomat as well. I would be very interested to try the long cut version of this blend, although it is easy to pack, I'm not a huge fan of the way these more finely rubbed blends burn they tend to dry out quickly and burn a bit hot. Good blend worth trying, I would say it is somewhat unique even in it's class, you should devote a pipe to this blend, as it ghosts heavily.

Philosopher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philosopher (27)
Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Pleasant

This has got to be a classic, even if it is very widely available (in the UK most newsagents and grocery stores sell it). A strong, slightly sour aroma, nice dark tobacco, and an unmistakeable taste. Possibly a little harsh sometimes, with the taste seeming to hit the back of the throat. Strong stuff, which should be smoked in a small bowl, or sitting down.

DEN-C1956 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DEN-C1956 (32)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

to me the best over the counter pipe tobacco's you can buy by that i mean at the newsagent.i have been a firm condor smoker for quite sometime,but i am starting to move to other brands,but condor will always be one of the best,dark in colour and a great aroma even before the pipe is alight,just wonderful.

i thought i would write an update about this tobacco,as i have been using another tobacco for a while i thought i would go back to 'condor' well someone has been messing with it...for the tongue bite is quite evident and i never had that before,so it has put me off it and that sad for me because i loved it...once upon a time. update as from 08-01-15..i bought somemore of the condor..and im happy to say that its more like its good old self now..no tongue bite...and quite well rubbed out..the aroma it how its always been..so for now im back on the good old condor..and im lovingit!!!!.

Pipemanuk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipemanuk (76)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Makes me laugh reading these reviews, good old Condor.

Back a few decades ago it was kinda looked down on, sneered at a bit....but it's outlasted a whole lot of fancier brands and it's here still.

If you're going to smoke Condor, and you should, then go for the Long Cut..ie the flake version; it's definitely better. But when needs must, then ready rubbed will do.

I have loads of different blends all of which have their place, but like my other reviewers I come back to good old Condor.

All this and no description of the actual tobacco...tsssk.

Leathery earthy soapy strong and nary a hint of bite...will definitely ghost your pipe, that's about it really. Get you some.

Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable

I picked up a pack of this at the train station while in port in Cork Ireland while cruising a few weeks ago. It was the only tobacco I could find and it was very expensive per ounce but I bought it anyway. It is in a green plastic pouch and upon opening, has a sweet musky odor and something else I could not place. It packed and lit easily in my pipe while smoking it for the firsst time in the cigar bar on the ship. The first puff was full, strong, and rich. I liked it. As I smoked, I wondered what the heck the top coating is as I have never tasted it before. It is a dark, riff cut tobacco and looked like most VA type tobaccos. It burned very easily and while very rich and strong, it had no tongue bite at all, even when I tried to smoke it hot. It left just a grey dottle in the bottom of my pipe and after finishing my smoke, I wanted to fill up and go another round with it. If this was available in the States, I think I would be a regular with it. It's that good. I still have not figured out the flavoring, almost like the old Chrystal mint lifesavers but not really minty. The only down side to it besides not being readily available to me is that when I finished with my pipe, I noticed that everyone in the cigar bar had moved away from me to the other side of the room! So, it must not have a great room note, but itt sure is good.

mo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mo (79)
Strong Extra Strong Full Tolerable

I do get annoyed from time to time. When someone reviews a Latakia heavy blend that hates Latakia, when someone smokes a heavily cased blend and complians about the topping etc. I now find myself in this very boat.

I do envy reviewers whos palette is far more refined than mine is, who can pick up subtle secrets that blends give away to the fortunate few.

With the above being said, i really do not care for the topping of Condor. It is the only blend to date that i find disgusting. I smoked bowls over a 2 month period, allowing myself enough time to forget the last and giving the flakes time to dry and the topping to ease a bit. I smoked it when i actually craved it, i loaded my pipe without smelling the tobacco and set fire, the results are always the same, a disgusting shaving cream taste that just does not go away. I find it eases when i smoke a bit faster but as i am sitting here, i can still smell it 30 minutes after smoking.

The reason i find it so offensive is due to me not being able to appreciate this blend rather than the blend being at fault, it is an old blend after all and many seasoned reviewers really enjoy it.

It will destroy your pipe. You will not be able to smoke anything else in that briar for a long while. I hope Latakia can kill it though.

Giving one star is something i will not do very easily and it pains me to do it. We as pipers are in a tragic time when blends are taken off the market and we not being able to smoke anywhere in peace, but i cannot allow a piper, especially a newbie to go out and start this wonderfull hobby with a pouch of this.

I hope i, with my very limited palette did not offend the many esteemed fans of this blend.

Mo, South Africa

Very Strong Medium to Strong Full Very Strong

?Nothing should disturb that Condor moment?, read an ad in a magazine for this very classic brand in England, over a composed image of the Queen?s regiment parading in full regalia but with the soldiers all wearing slippers, instead of boots.

You?d think that ?Condor moment? is a peaceful, silent, and intimate one. The strength of the tobacco, however, tells me otherwise. This stuff?basically a cavendished Virginia in flake form, with a soapy undertone and a prune-like sweetness?is rather potent and, in its own particular way, almost raw. It?s definitely stronger than St. Bruno and almost as dense as something called The Digger (the latter, in my opinion, an absolutely unsmokable Virginia flake). It?s not the type of straight Virginia you?d expect, for example, from a house like Rattray?s. Compared to Condor, Rattray?s strongest Virginia, Hal O? The Wynd is a smooth aristocratic smoke, with an almost feminine finesse.

When I lived in Britain, I bought only two pouches: one, when I first arrived (after all, ?when in Rome??), and the other, five years later, when I was about to leave. Not exactly my finest memory of British tobacco blending industry. The first pouch I could never finish. The second one, well, I don?t really remember what happened to it.

In Condor there?s really no subtle interplay of flavours. What you smell is what you get: an intense, straightforward and consistent blast of highly scented full Virginias, which, if smoked on an empty stomach, induce dizziness and sweat. Condor, however, does smoke cool, burns slowly and even, and is long lasting. It comes slightly moist. It?s red-brown in colour, and the aroma and room note, in my humble opinion, are not something to die for (rather, they are something to die of, as I gather from the esteemed Pseudo Nim and his faithful dog).

I understand this is a very popular tobacco in Britain, because, like St. Bruno and Gold Block, it is readily available and it?s not particularly expensive. However, I also think this is especially popular amongst the older, established smokers, who really don?t care what kind of social statement?if any?their tobacco makes.

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (110)
Extremely Strong Strong Extra Full Tolerable to Strong

I must admit, first of all, it's been 39 years since I smoked this stuff, I won't call it tobacco, I was 16, couldn't afford ciggies, so I bought a cheap pipe and a packet of condor flake, a lethal combination, how I continued to smoke a pipe afterwards is beyond me, I bought condor because, after all, I was 16 and couldn't possibly be seen buying something with a nancy sounding name like "mellow vagina" could I ? I was in the forces at the time, and this stuff had the same effect on my internals as CS Gas was to have on my externals, (not highly recommended, for those who have not experienced the joys of tear gas) I later found that mellow vagina was a little more to the liking of my inexperienced palate, though I could still not bring myself to ask for it from the grinning face of the N.A.A.F.I. girl serving me, never realising of course, that her grinning was probably due to the effect that condor was having on me. I know I should try this again, in order to give a more honest, uptodate and experienced opinion, but right now, I just haven't got the courage.

UPDATE 6 July 2008

I can't beleive I did this, trying this stuff again, I went to light it in my "cave" the dog, a gentle black Labrador followed me in, "you may not like this one" I told her, but she, being a faithful (or stupid) dog settled down at my feet, in the past when she has dissaproved of whatever it is I'm smoking, she looks at me imploringly. If I fail to notice, she starts to howl and whine, anyway, I open the pouche, the smell takes me back so many years, the flakes are moist and pliable, rub out well and light with ease, a sudden burst of light soap that soon dissipates, first quarter and the strength builds, faces, names and places start to drift through my mind, we were all so young then, this stuff isn't so bad after all, the strength builds further, a movement at my feet, the dog has stood up, her eyes wide and staring, her head drops slightly below her shoulders as her legs bend ever so slightly, her teeth are barred and she is snarling.

No it's still bloody awful stuff for none but the brave, and the room note could be dangerous in the presence of my dog.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)
Very Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

The extreme subjectivity of reactions to tastes and smells is nowhere more apparent than in the case of scented flakes. My system rather likes 1792 Flake and St Bruno Flake but does not react well to Bosun Cut Plug, Coniston Cut Plug or Irish Flake.

I found Condor Long Cut to be somewhat milder in scenting than any of the above named blends. The room note is commensurate with the pouch aroma. The nicotine content is substantial - anyone seeking to give up smoking cigarettes could try Condor. The burning characteristics are good and the ash fine and near white. But for all that, the base tobaccos are not quite as good as in 1792 Flake or Irish Flake. Those who like scented tobaccos or would like to enter that universe owe it to themselves to try Condor Long Cut.

garydobbs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
garydobbs (20)
Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I must say I don't really detect the soapy aroma that so many people have mentioned and consider this tobacco a very rewarding taste. It does leave an hint of itself on any pipe used and the taste will be there for a great deal of time, but that's not really a problem. Mind you I've one pipe put aside that I use exclusively for this tobacco. I am adding to this review because I have just come back to this tobacco - the first part of this review was written in 2011 and it is now 2014 - I must say that Condor is one of my favorite OTT tobaccos, second only to St. Bruno in my opinion. I don't think it is a suitable blend for anyone new to pipe smoking but when you get used to the art this blend pays off in spades. Quite excellent.

Pipe Used: Peterson, Falcon

oldmanpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldmanpipe (62)
Very Strong Extra Strong Very Full Very Strong

As many a reviewer has noted, this oldtime British blend is no longer available in our litigious United States. Many fine old English tobaccos are memories to us Yanks now. The judgment exposure is not offset by the sales.

If a young smoker should perchance get his hands on a package of Condor, he is in for a room-spinning awakening. Should a veteran be so fortunate...tis very Heaven. There is nothing...and I mean NOTHING...quite like this. You will either love it or hate it. Just don't make up your mind after the first bowlful; this blend will grow on you. There are times that Condor satisfies when nothing else will.

Unfortunately, though, it not only grows on the pipesmoker...but also on his pipe; the traces of this tobacco will be there forever. And don't expect complements on the room aroma. Everyone in contact will ask, "what the ** are you smoking????" Proof positive that Latakia is not alone in provoking such responses.

Unique. Unforgetable. Wonderful.

Four out of four stars.

Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Recommended because it's something one has to try sooner or later, a great classic. I suggest to dry the flakes a bit, because they're very moist into the pouch, then you can crumble them or smoke it the traditional way, no great difference in taste. The flavour is something you'll remember for a long time (and your pipe will do as well, so I suggest not to smoke it into your favourite high grade freehand, at least for the first time). Despite its format and strong flavouring, it smokes remarkably cool.

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (115)
Extremely Strong Very Strong Extra Full Very Pleasant

=Update. After 125g of this over two months, I've changed my recommendation. It's clear that Condor is in a class by itself, the king of the full strength soap flakes. I've learned to smoke this slowly in a small bowl, not to let it dry out too much to preserve the added flavorings (which is the point with Condor, it is a full aromatic), and pack it very loosely, almost fully rubbed out. I've never had a pipe cleaner come out black, or any tarrier than any other rich blend, this way. =

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (102)
Medium Strong Full Pleasant

I had the chance to re-visit this lovely tobacco recently when a friend from 'cross the pond sent a few pouches my way. There is really no smell like the one you encounter upon opening the packet...floral, mysterious, beckoning. I can see that to some it could have the redolence of strong soap, mais, pour mois, it is heavenly. Flakes are very dark, somewhat sticky and pliant to the touch. As with any scented flake, one must have a pipe for it, not only as it will haunt the briar relentlessly, but all the more to enhance the ritual of smoking this tabak in a constant vessel. I do not find it overly strong, nor complex, but the flavor is most unusual and it burns very well in a large Stanwell. Smokes cool, with few gurgles, the perfect porch tobacco on those windy days...This should be experienced at least once by all.

Grundie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grundie (26)
Strong Strong Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

In the UK this is probably the most popular pipe tobacco going, along with St Bruno. It is a very distinctive tobacco, which I personally have never found any other tobacco to have the same sort of flavour and aroma as it does. With the pipe packed well this tobacco burns cool and slow and has a very full flavour. The room aroma is either loved or hated, fortunately most people love it. The taste is very fruity and has a very suble hint of woodyness.

It is said that that this tobacco can leave it's mark on a pipe, I tend to agree, try it in a cheapo basket pipe before smoking it in your best Dunhill as once the flavour is in the pipe, it's very hard to get rid of. A word of warning this is a strong tobacco, IMO you need to smoke it slowly and with a good rythym, if you overdo it will send you flying such is it's strength.

pencils Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pencils (43)
Strong Strong Full Tolerable

I know many people who love this, but I can't pretend to be one of them. Many years ago, I had an uncle who loved this too and it still carries the nostalgia that makes me want to keep trying to like it. I find that no matter how many times I return to it, the taste profile upsets my stomach, assaults my taste buds with soapiness, and reminds me of the nausea I have occasionally felt on open water in a small boat. I can't pretend that this is a balanced review, as too many experiences in bowls of varying sizes and different woods have spoiled my ability to be dispassionate or objective.

I don't believe that I will ever try this again, and if the draconian masters of tobacco deletion leave this tobacco on the shelves alone and freely available, I would hang up my pipes and vape. If you love this, I salute you and view you with respect for the diversity that accompanies a hobby such as ours, but I cannot share your enthusiasm.

I think my review is necessary to remind me never to have another go at this. It won't sway the inexperienced explorer, as so many rate this so well, but it may serve as a caveat for those who believe that the years may alter taste buds so much as to make valuable that which is essentially unpalatable.

If you love it, keep on! If you are unsure, give it a go! If you don't like it, find it a new home that will appreciate this, sooner rather than later. It isn't going to improve.

Pipe Used: Several

Age When Smoked: New, aged, ancient...

Purchased From: OTC outlets

LannarkGent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LannarkGent (111)
Extremely Mild None Detected Very Mild Unnoticeable

I purchased this from a Scotsman at the Chicago pipe show. I found it to be soapy tasting on first light. This dissappered as the bowl got warm. While a tasty blend the flavor was too mild and the tobacco too mild for me. I will not repurchase.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (180)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Condor tastes, the way Simple Green smells...but in a good way! I get a heavy pure tobacco flavor with a topping of pine cone, cleaning chemical, roasted meat and Worcestershire sauce. Sounds awful right, but it works, it works splendidly. This is definitely not for everyone, but if you enjoy the meaty/umami tastes in St. Bruno, give this a try.

Pipe Used: Il Ceppo Calabash, CAO Meerschaum Bulldog

Age When Smoked: New -1 year

Purchased From: England, with help. Thank you Simon.

Similar Blends: St. Bruno.

Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Taste is a funny thing. I really wasn’t a fan of Condor Long Cut when I posted a review of it four years ago even though I have always enjoyed Lakeland style soapy, floral blends. Having a chance to revisit this in the Ready Rubbed green pouch, I rather fancy it now. Yes, the strong ghost is still left behind in the pipe, but the fruity, slightly alcohol taste I now find more appealing. It will tend to be a love or hate blend for many folks. For me, it has become kind of like the car accident that is impossible to look away from. CRR offers ample strength and the casing/topping still leads the way. It isn’t listed, but I would swear that there is a little dark fired in this blend along with the Virginia’s. The underlying tobacco is of good quality, but with so many of these blends, it really doesn’t matter if you don’t care for the added flavoring. I enjoy it, but it isn’t a smoke that I would enjoy more than once in a day. I vacillate as to whether this is now a three or four blend for me, so I’ll split the difference and say it’s about three and a half stars. I guess it’s time dig out my cellared stuff from years ago!

Mawnan Smiff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mawnan Smiff (28)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

Being still a newbie piper (all of two months) I have managed to try out all of the more commonly available OTC tobaccos out there, plus a few of the more obscure blends (courtesy of Johnnies Of Newquay) and find that of them all Condor 'green' is by far the best of the bunch. It is indeed a 'strong' smoke but after many years of rolling my own (Sampson, Drum etc.) I do not find this a problem. I tend to leave my 50g pouch spread out on a tray for an hour or so afore bunging it in a bail top jar, that is as I tend to find it a tad moist straight from the pouch. Once lit I rarely need to relight it and it burns down to a fine grey ash with no issues from start to finish. A very pleasant smoke indeed, particularly in an old L.Roux rustic poker or an old Swiss Bernina (with antler stem!). Certainly would recommend this baccy and as for a soapy flavour? Well I have never experienced that.

Pipe Used: L. Roux, Bernina, Peterson etc.

Age When Smoked: Fresh.

Purchased From: Asda, Penryn.

SamH Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SamH (31)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Pleasant

I just had my first bowl of this one for months after a day of my usual St Bruno and Full Virginia Flake, albeit St Bruno Ready Rubbed from Tesco, whilst waiting for a delivery of Long Cut and St B flake to arrive. I had forgotten how much of a welcome change it can be. On the way back from Haywards Heath where I picked it up in Sainsburys on a whim I couldn't help opening it to test that aroma again. Decidedly stronger than RR St B and more flavoured. Whilst I adore the (admittedly odd) aroma and taste of both available St Brunos, the (really peculiar but somehow delightful) taste of Condor had me gazing into the early winter sky and contemplating life as a good bowl should. It is almost like St Bruno flake with added nicotine, a dash of Balkan mix, something bitter and something sweet. You would definately hate it or immediately add it to your rotation. It's joining mine again along with it's (long cut) flake brother. I think I really like it. Tomorrow, when the post comes I can enjoy (hopefully) Bruno flake in a Condor ghosted pipe. Nice. PS I remember I used to pack them in layers so one merged into the other and back again. That works well. Oh yes, and it's NOT inferior to the flake at all, just very slightly different. Also it burns so evenly it's borderline impossible. In that one respect it even trumps St Bruno. RR Condor is the easiest tobacco to smoke well I've met.

Pipe Used: Corn cob. Tomorrow a falcon and a Butz-Choquin.

Age When Smoked: Straight from Sainsburys.

Purchased From: Sainsburys, Haywards Heath.

Similar Blends: Condor Long Cut!.

WillBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillBrown (108)
Strong Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I find it very difficult to review this blend, but I'll give a try nonetheless.

My first impressions teeter between the sublime and a dumpster fire. I'll begin with the good news—Condor imparts a most interesting taste. There are a variety of notes, though a floral one seems to dominate for me (I get no liquor taste, as advertised). It's a smooth, airy smoke, yet, oddly, this blend definitely has some balls to it. Those that state this blend is strong are true, yet the strength, for me, didn't slap me in the face, rather it built up as I smoked the bowl—then, towards the end, it gave me a bit of a clout on the noggin. There are stronger blends out there, that's for sure.

At times, the taste of this smoke was outstanding (including a great side stream), at others, not so much. In other words, it's an uneven smoke for me. This may be because of the vast amounts of additives injected. Marmite, bangers, and soap, indeed. Whether or not any of those "spices" have been added or not I cannot say, but something surely has been. There is a good amount PG added as the tobacco was still moist after a year of it being decanted. Let there be no doubt, this is an additive stew.

I definitely can see why someone would thoroughly enjoy smoking this, but, for me, it's just an every once in awhile smoke—I find it hard to bypass the additives in this one. So, I'm giving this blend two stars, a split right down the middle.

Happy piping!

Pipe Used: Leonessa Capri

Purchased From: A pipe shop in Paris, France 2013

Geronimo Von Klaus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Geronimo Von Klaus (76)
Very Strong Strong Full Tolerable

Smoking history and class, all in one smack of Lakeland infused Vit N.

This doesn't hold back, right from the char light there is that flowery soapy smack of goodness, right between the eyes, but its not a one trick pony, behind it lies some very good and well cared for VA's which come through well and complement the flavoring.

Not meant to be messed with and tamped all that much, it packs and lights well, and then you sit back and it stays lit easily and smokes very well and smoothly.

Doesn't change all that much, the VA's tend to fade into the hinterland as the flowery/soapy goodness just keep coming on strong, but for what it is, its very good.

Pipe Used: Cob

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: The local supermarket

Harry Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Harry (13)
Strong Strong Very Full Very Pleasant

This tobacco blew my head off a couple of years ago! I couldn't believe the sheer, raw strength that came through as I smoked it in a Falcon pipe. It seemed to physically impress itself so forcibly that it was like being bullied into a corner with it. And I loved the aroma! Heavy, rich, deep, moist, fruity (that is, stewed fruit in dark sugar, heavily boiled until it is marmaladey and syrupy) but also strong liquorice and figs. Is that enough flavouring there?! Not quite. Something like old leather and wet earth too and a decided tarry, macadam flavour, oily, almost chemical. Inhaling this stuff is seriously ill-advised. It will coat your lungs with enough tar to make a road. What, however, I loved was the sheer intensity of the flavour. It is packed through with a depth that is extremely satisfying and lingering. Yes, in my naïveté, I smoked another tobacco later in the same pipe and, yes, I noticed the ghosting, but it burned off after a while and my pipe was still there, offering its services. I haven't had this blend in a while, switching to lighter stuff, but writing this from memory serves to make me wonder about getting another pack again soon and diving into its depths once more. Those heady moments of thick, swirling, fulsome clouds of Condor have somehow come to life again. If I do give it a go again, I'll let you know my latest thoughts as I enter the Condor club after several years' break. This is one tobacco that comes highly recommended if you want a straightforward, explosive and nicotine-laden blowout once in a while. But for that regular morning smoke, I'll keep to something less intrusively demanding.

Pipe Used: Falcon

Age When Smoked: When smoked, new

Purchased From: Supermarket counter

22yrsonthepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
22yrsonthepipe (22)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Strong

Thought I'd try a Lakeland and selected Condor due to the rave reviews. The pouch scent is like diesel and perfume with the diesel the dominant scent.

After a few puffs I quickly dumped the bowl to save my briar from ghosting. Absolutely vile stuff. The worst tobacco I ever tasted.

I wouldn't call it a strong or manly cigarish tobacco, like say craven or other non-Lakeland English blends. The underlying tobacco is actually quite mild but the heavy girly perfumey casing made me feel sick to my stomach. How anyone could smoke this is beyond me. Unless you like smoking the underarms of old ladies blouses.

When the wife smoked it, it smelled even worse than it tasted. For the love of god please don't inflict this on anyone - smoker or non-smoker.

To be fair I am a 'super-taster' so that may be why I don't like it. I will air the pouch out and get a dedicated pipe for it and revisit this blend due to it being an 'acquired taste' but I'm not getting my hopes up.

If you are a first time pipe smoker avoid this like the plague.

UPDATE 17/05/13 - Let it dry out a bit. The perfume taste is now only there for the light. After that it is very rich and full which I like but it tastes of blood and bone. I can understand why others like it now but still not for me. Didnt ghost.

UPDATE 20/05/2013 - After leaving the pouch open for a few more days, the blood and bone taste is gone and this is starting to taste like a nice deep, rich leathery grandpa English blend of yore. I keep reaching for the pouch to sniff it. The diesel is gone, the floweriness is slowly being replaced with raisiney fruitiness. It is growing on me after every pipe. I am now very interested in trying St Bruno and Grousemoor. Consider me a tentative Lakeland convert. If you dont like condor at first dont throw away the pouch, let it sit for a while. Upgrading from 1 star to 2.5 stars.

UPDATE 5th June 2013 - I enjoy a pipe of this before bed nearly every night now - upgraded to 3 stars.

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (129)
Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Most of what I said in an earlier review of Condor Long Cut applies here. This is a dark, strong, meaty, traditional English tobacco. I first tried it back in the ‘sixties, and I can't detect any difference between what it was like then and what it's like now. It's strong enough to hurt if you're not careful with it. It needs to be taken slowly, and probably isn't one for the beginner; but if you like a robust and unpretentious tobacco, this'll suit you very nicely.

Condor is cool, slow burning and consistent, and the flavour gets markedly fuller and 'rounder' from about half-way down the bowl. Despite a rather moist appearance, it burns well and consistently. It has a rather sour note somewhere in it that some people dislike, though my impression is that this note is present more strongly in the flake version.

The room note is pronounced and characteristic: pleasant if you like the smell of pipe-smoke, but perhaps a bit hard on innocent bystanders who don't. You certainly can't smoke Condor without drawing attention of some sort to yourself. It also gives you a delicious experience when you open the pouch – everybody mentions the ‘Condor moment' that featured in Ogden's television commercials back in the day before we were treated like idiots (i.e. when tobacco advertising was allowed). The pouch note is perhaps the best part of it!

Be warned, though: the ghost that Condor will leave in your pipe will take a lot of shifting. Personally, I think the flake form gives a slightly better smoke, but the ready rubbed is good stuff also, and both are readily available. There are differences between the ready rubbed and the flake, but they're very small. Condor is a popular tobacco in the UK. Newspaper-and-cig shops that still sell pipe tobacco at all will probably have Condor if they have nothing else. I suspect that, as more and more old favourites cease to be available and we move slowly towards prohibition (in the UK), Condor will be one of the last blends to go: which is one good reason for developing a taste for it. It's a little strong, but I'm happy to recommend it to people who like a tough, masculine baccy.

Oddly enough, more than with any other baccy I have to be in the mood for Condor, and my response to it can vary pretty widely: sometimes I like it a lot, sometimes I don't. The point, I think, is that it isn't at all subtle. Sometimes this is OK, sometimes not. Condor is what I would call a winter smoke: good on cold days, maybe with a strong black coffee, and good as an outdoor smoke, too. In summer, I tend to want something a little lighter and more sophisticated.

Pipesmoking101 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipesmoking101 (62)
Very Strong Strong Full Tolerable

On reading previous reviews, I purchased a corncob pipe for this in case I didn't like it, as I was aware of the fact that the flavour of this tobacco can permanently stain a pipe. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised by this tobacco. Whilst being aware of the strength from the first light, I didn't at any point find it overpowering. The room note is surprisingly mild also, for such a full-bodied smoke. I consider myself lucky to be here in the UK where we can get easy access to this tobacco, & I shall definitely be buying it again (along with a quality pipe which will be my dedicated Condor vessel!). Certainly not the best tobacco in the world, but a lot better that many & absolutely the superior supermarket brand by a country mile. Recommended - although do be aware that if you prefer a mild smoke, this is very unlikely to be your cup of tea. All those who enjoy a strong smoke though, would ignore this flake at their peril. I smoke most flakes by rolling into a plug, although I find that this smokes equally well either folded or rubbed. It also rubs out fairly easily. May require a few relights, & I can see why some has criticised it as high-maintenance, but the smoke is worth it, & it's easy to get the hang of maintaining the light after a few bowls.

Steerpike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steerpike (60)
Extremely Strong Medium to Strong Extra Full Overwhelming

Pheeeew... This is some rank weed! OK, I like St Bruno a lot when I'm in the mood, its strong but very enjoyable. But this is just taking it too far! Its like St bruno, but a little stronger and 10 times tarrier. When I first got it, I thought (Why, Ive no idea) that I should sample it in a realy big pipe, while taking a stroll in the park. This prooved to be a mistake, as I realised when my head started to spin halfway through the bowl. I sat down on a park bench, feeling like aqualung, and felt a pang of guilt when a bird fell lifeles from its perch in the tree above me... Alright, I exagerate a little perhaps. It seems to have been made in the same style as St Bruno, but far fouler. It makes a horrible, heavy, muggy smell, it tastes foul, like the flavours in Bruno but foul and too thick, and unlike the Bruno, it burns hot, and will all too easily bite. Pipecleaners come out black. I have a feeling that this stuff may not be so healthy.

A gentlemen I have bought old pipes from on the Preston Market, once advised me that his all day smoke of 20 years was a 50/50 mix of St Bruno and Condor. This I dutifully tried, and indeed despite my fears it was alright. It's not so heavy as neat Condor, more like beefed up St Bruno, and it does not burn hot or bite. If Im spending a weekend in the woods in the colder seasons (as I will this December), this is what Ill smoke. Rich, hearty, a little course, excellent tramping tobacco. As for neat Condor, Ill leave that to those who can tolerate it.

==============================Update=========================================

Having been overwhelmed by this weed, I later came to enjoy it greatly. Such is the way of things, I think the same has happened with all the lakeland flakes. I tried several and was initially put off by them, three years of living oop noorth and I came to understand them, and later to love them. I may also have manned up somewhat through exposure to Chips and Gravy and the horrors of Lancashire weather...

So, what is Condor? Condor is a VERY strong, VERY manly pipe tobacco. It is a dark, strong, cooked virginia flake with a traditional scent added to it. Soap and perfume indeed, and manly because of it.

This is a tobacco to smoke after doing an oil change on your Royal Enfield Bullet. Or after ploughing a field or laying a hedge. Or in a lock in in a pub after you've come back from a successful nocturnal expedition poaching with a long net with your fellows.

This is not a tobacco to smoke while posting self concious tobacco reviews on the internet! Nor is it to be smoked while at work in an office. You should not smoke this in a fancy wine bar, or while walking around John Lewis with your beloved.