A distinct blend of burley, red Virginia and Dubeck brought back to life by the blenders at Peretti. This mixture offers sweetness and subtle piquancy. Currently available in limited quantities.

Notes: Until about 1960, we offered blend 52. This mixture was created by Robert Peretti in 1947, after he returned from his Navy duties in WWII. Blend 52, like other Peretti burleys, is based on the premise that American burley is the noblest of tobaccos. As the Major, Mr. Peretti’s father, once told me, “sooner of later, everyone smokes burley.”

Blend 52 is created to showcase the deep flavor of the burley. The nuttiness of the burley is somewhat moderated by the addition of a smooth red Virginia that naturally sweetens the blend. Then, a small amount of the finest Dubeck is added. The Dubeck, from the upper leaves of the plant, is the mellowest form of Turkish. When combined with the burley and red Virginia, the Dubeck opens the blend to a combination of sweetness and subtle piquancy. Blend 52 adds a new dimension to the Peretti portfolio of burleys. Here is a tobacco that is mild, mellow, and offers a new variety of tastiness. We urge you to explore all of the many Peretti burley tobaccos. For indeed, burley has long been neglected by the pipe smoker.

BrandPeretti
Taste
Pleasant, Tolerable

buroak Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
buroak (16)

This tobacco had me at the charring light. I really like Dubec (Dubek, Dubeck, or Djubec, depending on whom you ask), and what it brings to the VaBur base is wonderful. They could have called this Spice Cake, though I do not want to give the impression that it is super sweet. You will taste the quality nutty, earthy Burleys and the mild sweet tang of the Red Virginias all the time, but the Dubec is more than just condimental to my tastes. The retrohale is all I could hope for and really lets the Oriental leaf trumpet its presence. The strength is medium for flavor (mostly on account of the Oriental leaf) and closer to mild than medium in terms of nicotine content. The tobacco burns well with only a handful of relights, which is saying a lot for this fellow who tends to relight more than average. I would consider this to be an all-day smoke that will not bore the smoker. This is probably a three star smoke in general, but I give it four for those who like Dubec in the spotlight.

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the Peretti Paint Can

Purchased From: L.J. Peretti

lasttango Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lasttango (4)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is a very honest and clean tasting burley blend that has just enough "spice" and just enough sweetness to take you all the way to the bottom of the bowl and leave you wanting for more. While it burned rather quickly for me, it never got too hot and never bit me. When I had my first taste a little over a week ago, 52 didn't blow me away. My first thought was that it was pleasant and easy to smoke. I have found myself reaching for it the most over this past week. Each time I smoke it, I detect more flavor and I find myself wanting another bowl almost immediately. I think it's delicious and very clean tasting.

It doesn't immediately remind me of another particular tobacco. It does make me think of Uhle's epic burley blends like crushed white burley and perfection plug. I think that 52 would be the slightly exotic cousin of one of these blends.

The Virginia and the Dubeck add a dimension to the Burley that elevates its natural flavor. They also add just enough complexity to make this a very interesting and enticing smoke.

Peretti's does a very good job describing the taste profile of this tobacco.

I will order another 8 ounces. I think this will become my favorite burley blend.

If you love the taste of tobacco, this is a good blend for you to try.

Pipe Used: Brandy, Bulldog

Age When Smoked: approximately one month

Purchased From: Peretti's

tommyboy1749 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tommyboy1749 (26)

Blend No. 52 is a welcome (re)addition to Peretti's estimable selection of burley-based blends. The tobacco arrives at the perfect hydration for immediate smoking (a quality which is true for Peretti's blends across the board). The colors range from the medium brown shades of burley and the lighter brown of red Virginia to the pale Dubeck. The smell from the can is predominantly the nutty aroma of burley, a bit of woody sweetness from the Virginia, and a hint of spiced florals from the Dubeck.

The "paint-can note" transfers to the smoking experience, with the chewy, nutty burleys predominating, accompanied by the slightly citrusy, dark fruit of the Virginia, and the spicy, slightly sour Dubeck. The mixture is elegant in its simplicity, with each component contributing its distinctive qualities, while merging into a harmonious blend.

Blend No. 52 is sure to please burley lovers and might surprise died-in-the-wool English smokers who aren't generally burley fanciers. While listed as a burley blend, to me Blend No. 52 smokes more like an English mixture--albeit with an American accent. I hope to see more of Peretti's historic mixtures brought back in the future. Take that, FDA!

Purchased From: L.J. Peretti

Bentlink Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bentlink (9)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

I picked up 2 oz of Blend No 52 while restocking their very good Royal. This tobacco appears as a range of brown and yellow leaf with a sparse peppering of black flakes. The tin aroma is sweet with subtle hints of cedar and vinegar. It packs and lights like a champ. The taste is a very good burley nut, but quite mild. The dubeck teases with a lovely sweet incense and floral, but little more than a hint I keep chasing. It burns really clean with little or no need to relight. The room note was like cigarettes and baking bread...not quite sure what to make of it but it took me back to my neighbor's kitchen while I was in grade school.

Pipe Used: Various

Purchased From: L. J. Peretti

LoneRider Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LoneRider (19)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I really don't know what why this blend is getting such good reviews. I found it to be fairly blasé. For the record, I usually love Peretti's burley blends. "No Name" and "333" are two of my favorite tobaccos. This just didn't do it for me. That said, my wife (who usually doesn't like my choices) found this to be pleasant. I have plenty left and who knows, maybe as I smoke more of it, I might grow to like it more. I'll keep you posted.

Pipe Used: Caminetto Cavalier