Notes: AAA burleys.

Extremely Mild
Taste
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable
JimInks (2057)

The Kentucky and burley offer a lot of earth, nuts, a little molasses, and a touch of cocoa and wood. The sweet topping seems to be an extremely mild vanilla that doesn’t sublimate the burleys much. It does have a slight rough edge that you may not notice unless you puff real fast. Has a mild nic-hit, and won’t bite. Burns slightly slow with a fairly cool, very clean consistent flavor from start to finish. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and requires a few relights. Has a very pleasant after taste that lingers for a minute or two. Can be an all day work and play smoke.

J.R. Patton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J.R. Patton (103)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Smoking this first thing for a fresh palate. Weather is breezy, clear, and 36°F. First thing you'll notice is this isn't a broken flake. At least my bulk bag isn't. Mine is somewhere between a ribbon and shag cut, but no big deal. I ordered this for two reasons: 1) it was on sale, and 2) it purports to be a straight burley and kentucky blend. I am a little disappointed the kentucky is not more evident. I get primarily the nutty, bready, mild molasses tones of a burley. And they're very pleasant. I just think the blend would benefit from the addition of more dark-fired. Dark-fired is my motor. The vanilla topping, I'm pleased to note, is very, very subdued, almost imperceptible most the time. I don't think I'd call this an aromatic anymore than I would Carter Hall. Burn is clean without excess moisture, no tongue bite during 4 oz smoked. I'm going to award 2.5 stars and round up to 3. It's decent, it's affordable, and could be an all day smoke without wrecking either your wallet or taste receptors. With the flavor profile, though, I would generally just reach for some Carter Hall or Prince Albert.

Pipe Used: MM Dwarf Cobbit

Age When Smoked: Fresh pouch

Similar Blends: John Middleton, Inc - Prince Albert, John Middleton, Inc - Carter Hall.