A blend of 14 different tobaccos. Mild, cool and slow burning with unique aromatic qualities.

Notes: Recipe was changed substantially after 1998, probably at the same time that manufacture was turned over to STG (Orlik).

BrandTheodorus Niemeyer
Blended ByOrlik Tobacco Company
Manufactured ByOrlik Tobacco Company
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley, Cavendish, Kentucky, Maryland, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
FlavoringAlcohol / Liquor, Other / Misc

2.0
DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (113)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Strong

Clan was a kind of gimmick tobacco back in the 1960s, mainly because of its odd and distinctive room note. In those days, no one had ever come across anything like it, and (along with Holland House) it enjoyed considerable popularity for a while, if only as an oddity. My then girlfriend loved it, and virtually insisted that I smoke it. In a certain sense it was (I think, looking back) a young man's tobacco: you smoked it if you wanted to smoke a pipe but wanted also to distance yourself from the St Bruno-smoking old codgers.

Clan still has its devotees, even in a world so full of exotic tastes and smells. It's cheap and cheerful, at any rate (once upon a time it was relatively pricey). It certainly isn't 'cool and slow burning', though. Even smoked slowly it's very hot and quickly gone, and it will certainly barbecue the beginner's tongue. You either like the room note or you don't (it isn't as pronounced these days as it used to be). I don't, and I find Clan far too hot to be enjoyable. It would be interesting to know what the '14 different tobaccos' are. The name and packet design seem intended to suggest that Clan has a Scottish character of some kind. I wonder why?

Worth a try, I guess, like everything else; but not recommended: too dry, too hot, too odd and bland in flavour. It's a tobacco that, to my mind, is all negatives and no positives, and I can't imagine why anybody likes it; I'd rather bite off one of my own fingers than smoke it again. To my taste, at least, Clan is horrible stuff.

I heartily endorse the remark of an earlier reviewer about BAT's policies. What possible sense can it make to knock the Dunhill brand on the head while continuing to produce dreck like Clan? More to the point, perhaps, why do supermarket brands, almost all mediocre or worse, become and stay popular enough to BE supermarket brands, available everywhere, whereas first-rate tobaccos are so hard to come by, and so often cease production? A deep question of economics, this.

Purchased From: Available more or less anywhere

Similar Blends: Similar to Holland House; but HH is far superior..

Causeway Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Causeway (1)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Tolerable

The horrors of Clan are well-documented on this site. To repeat what is often said: it has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. It is a tobacco dreamed up by a cigarette smoker who is making a bad guess at the pipe-smoking experience. If you're reading, it's not even close, my friend.

It is often said that over-the-counter brands rely heavily on casings for effect and flavour. In Clan the casing is napalm, and the flavour is fire. It will burn your pipe, your fingers, your tongue; and it will probably toast the roof of your mouth if you're foolish enough to persist in smoking it.

Smoked in a pipe it is not really possible to differentiate between the different types of tobacco blended to make Clan; mainly because the pipe quickly becomes a fire tunnel. By rolling Clan in a cigarette it becomes possible to taste a variety of flavours. However, they do not mix well together - there's no subtlety or art in the blending; and the tobacco does not have a defining moment. Another major problem is that Clan appears to have no discernible nicotine hit, so as both pipe and cigarette tobacco it fails... it fails in every way.

It is mild enough because it tastes of nothing; its room note appears non-existent. I smoked it in three pipes - a 1980s Dunhill Bruyere, a 19th century Mahogany Meerschaum, and a no-name pipe. The Meerschaum gave me the best experience because I was able to sip. It didn't improve much, but at least I was aware I was smoking something other than the napalm casing.

Clan is still sold in supermarkets in the UK - it is almost always dried out because it has been sitting on the shelf for so long. I felt I wasn't giving the tobacco a fair chance without attempting to re-hydrate it; unfortunately any attempt to re-hydrate it results in it tasting even worse. I'm sure there is a way of reviving this tobacco by adding something innocuous - a slice of orange peel, or a potato peeling. Unfortunately I don't have the money to throw away on experimenting.

I've seen this tobacco referred to as cheap. In the UK, because of taxes, there is no such thing as a cheap tobacco - a bad pouch of Clan will cost you as much as a beautiful pouch of St Bruno. In such a situation you would think Clan would have been withdrawn a long time ago; yet it persists; staring sullenly at me across the tobacco counter, and every so often I answer its gaze by buying it, thinking I might be rewarded for my audacity. But every time it disappoints.

Not at all recommended. Not at all. Still, I feel reluctant to be so honest - if only because I fear Clan will be withdrawn from supermarkets and we'll find out afterwards, too late, that if only we'd crumbled some essence of cobweb into the pouch it would have become a world-class smoke. But I doubt it.

I doubt Clan very much.

Terrigar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Terrigar (5)

Okay, I'm gonna get caned for this but I kinda like this stuff. Every now and again it's nice to smoke an aromatic. I usually don't but what the heck. I get fruity kind of soft boozy flavours from this and a kinda coconutty finish. Plenty of smoke and smokes all the way down, very little dottle. I don't get any tongue burn even if I lean on it a little, if you really puff it'll probably bite but most stuff does. All in all, something I like now and again.

Lord Clam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lord Clam (3)

It may be unfashionable to like mild, light, wife friendly blends but I am really enjoying Clan. It smells like sherry or whisky in the pouch, more accurately like sherry casked whisky.

It is very dry, and smokes like a furnace, but has wonderful floral notes with a hint of alcohol and spice. Steady nicotine hit and a pleasant room note. It is a nice accompaniment to food, booze or coffe/tea becasue it doesn't drown everything else out like stronger tobaccos.

A nice, all - round everyday smoke with enough to please the expert or the novice. A pleasant surprise and well worth the money!

ruraldean Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruraldean (3)

Well, I've read the reviews, which reflect entirely that one man's meat is another man's poison. I've not smoked Clan before, so this is based on about five bowls.

Yes, it can bite. It can really bite, but only if you suck on your pipe like a McDonald's milkshake. A gentle sipping releases far more than most have revealed in other reviews. There's a big vanilla hit, and the stuff does smell like Bird's Custard Powder in the bag, however, a little TLC coaxes a nice, buttery flavour, if a little thin, from the easily packed tobacco. This is a one light bowl. I don't even bother with a charring light, but slightly under fill the bowl , spark up and puff down to a wonderful fine white ash. I use an air-pocket method of packing, which definitely helps.

Overall, this doesn't scare me, it's inoffensive, and it's easy to get hold of. Somewhat recommended with a caution about over-drawing, unless pain is your friend.

Pipe Used: MM Cob

Age When Smoked: 58

Purchased From: Tesco

Similar Blends: Scotty's Butternut Burley (but with bite).

artielon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
artielon (6)

I wet a couple of pipe cleaners and seal them in the pouch for 12 hours (and whenever it gets too dry) because it´s usually too dry and biting otherwise. It improves the characteristics (coolness, burning) and overall taste considerably. I find no big difference to more expensive brands and its availability is a plus.

Pipe Used: Falcon Coolway with filter

Age When Smoked: relatively fresh

Purchased From: R-kioski, Finland

Similar Blends: Ashton Rainy Day.

silvatorres Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
silvatorres (5)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This has been the first acceptable pipe tobacco i have bought since i got back to smoking pipe last month.

Since i'm new here and this is my very first review, and yes i have a rather short experience with pipe smoking. Nevertheless i shall share with everyone my experience, so you can take it in consideration if you are a starter, just like me.

I must confess that my first contact with Clan was at a local convenience store where i went looking for some tobacco to get back to pipe smoking. The owner told me Clan aromatic was one of his best selling brands - I must say it's package really got me for it's good looks.

I've been smoking Clan frequently now. At first it felt very strong and i got some tong bite, because of my lack of experience. It burns hot in my opinion, but as you smoke it regularly you start to understand how to best do it.

I've smoked it indoor and outdoor and feel quite pleased with it, making a good companion for reading.

I was hopping it would taste just like it smells, but it doesn't. Nevertheless today i can start to distinguish some of its flavors in the taste and aroma it releases.

Note: 23/02/2013 - Smoked after cleaning the pipe with some portuguese liquor called "Licor Beirão", tasted really sweet, and proved to be very tasty smoked that way.

hamiltoncallum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hamiltoncallum (3)
Strong Medium Medium Pleasant

I am a fan of St. Bruno, but not of Condor. If you recognise either of these, you may find familiar flavours in this brand.

It does smoke rather hot, which is cured with frequent sipping.

Nicotine is noticable, typical of such 'over-the-counter blends here in the UK.

In light of the extreme number of tobaccos used to produce this blend, on top of the added flavourings, this tobacco produces subtle, complex flavours.

You will not taste ALL, or even most of the tobaccos listed, but you will not be dissapointed nonetheless, particularly if you smoke aromatics.

On a personal note, I will not smoke this often, but have a (cheap) pipe dedicated to it.

I usually smoke Virginia flakes, St. Bruno, Irish XX(Black Bogey), Coniston Cut Plug, and various Balkan/English blends.

dugistheking Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dugistheking (1)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

Hello All, I am new to pipe smoking - 28 years old. Being smoking lightly for 6 months now. First of all I love the smell of CLAN due to my father smoking it for over 40 years. That's all he ever smokes. From the moment you open the well dressed packing, you are to enjoy a lovely aromatic mild smell. The very fact it has 14 different tobaccos I find rather exciting. Im no experienced pipe smoker but I find clan easy to pack my pipe. Just 3 pinches , gently pressed and im ready to light. The tobacco seems light and comes apart easily. The smell in the packet is lovely but the real joy comes when you smoke it. I find clan lights easily (only requiring one light after the first "false light"). I can often smoke a whole bowl without relighting - about 15-20 minutes. Clan is also good for relighting a bowl over a period of 2-3 times in a day for example. The biggest issue I find is clan burns very quickly and hot compared to other tobaccos I have tried (only 2-3 others ). My advise is to enjoy slowly otherwise you will get a sharp tongue bite. When I smoke clan I get lovely childhood memories of summers days, cold winters, all with the smell of clan reminding me of those occasions. All in all, I think CLAN is a lovely , mild aromatic smoke, to be enjoyed by both new and old pipe smokers. I hope this review was helpful! One trick my dad taught me the other week (first time we smoked together!) was when your pipe is getting dim, put two fingers over the bowl briefly and puff a few times. This act like when you put a fold of paper over a fire place - the air is dragged through and ignites the tobacco - a perfectly lit pipe again!

Moçambicano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Moçambicano (13)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

I began pipe smoking around 1992, when I entered college. It was a time when tobacco wasn't considered a weapon of mass destruction, smoking was still considered to be a somewhat glamourous activity, and "Big-Cigarette-Tobacco" multinational companies hadn't started to buy and debase smaller blenders of pipe mixtures.

My parents then offered me a small pipe smoker's kit, which included an affordable "Amphora Milos" dutch filter pipe, and a huge 250 gr tin of Clan tobacco, which was by that time produced by Theodorus Niemeyer (nowadays the Clan brand belongs to British-American Tobacco Company and is blended by Orlik in Denmark).

Those where the days of pipe smoking. Me and my colleagues would spend whole evenings discussing philosophy and reciting poetry ? enacting our own version of the "Dead Poets' Society". Clan, or better said that old version of it, will always be part of my nostalgic remembrance of such happy times. It seemed such an honest blend, so tasteful, so trustworthy ? even after I discovered a truly high-quality favorite, Dunhill's London Mixture.

After more than a decade without puffing any pipe at all, I stumbled upon the old Amphora pipe. Trying to exorcise the sadness of fleeting years, I polished the briar, bought a pouch of Clan, disappointed to know that London Mixture had been meanwhile discontinued. I filled the bowl full of enthusiasm and nostalgia?

And then I got a second disappointment. This is not the Clan I knew. This is not even a decent tobacco, however cheap it might be priced. Clan has become a meaningless name in a label placed upon pouches containing dry grass, chloride and god-knows-what. It scorches the tongue as if it had been cased with napalm, then paves it with second-grade asphalt. So many expectations of reviving a bliss, such an anti-climax.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)

While the Dutch introduced tobacco cultivation to Java and Sumatra, what they grew there was essentially Virginia leaf, because only succulent, large-leafed tobacco can be grown in such a humid climate. The small-leafed tobacco from the Caucasus needs a more arid, more high-mountain kind of environment. It would rot under the Monsoon rain.

We call small-leafed tobacco "Oriental" because it comes from the Near East?not the Far East. The British call it "Turkish", because many of the lands where "Oriental/Turkish" tobaccos are grown were once part of the Turkish ["Ottoman"] Empire, even though the principal grower of these tobaccos nowadays tends to be Greece, which conquered its independence from the Ottoman sultans as long ago as the 1820s.

Clan is a typical Dutch-style Cavendish-processed blend: a wide variety of Virginia tobaccos pressed, steamed to open its pores, topped with a mild sweetening agent. It may then be blended with cased burley, to make it less biting, and because burley is much more receptive to flavouring sauces than Virginia. If any "Turkish" condimental tobacco is added, this is done with the object of avoiding a treacly feeling. A few leaves of Latakia or fire-cured Kentucky burley may be added to provide some body?not much, because mildness is the ideal in Dutch blending.

I swear I cannot tell the difference between CLAN and FLYING DUTCHMAN. There may not be any. In this category of classic aromatics, I prefer SAIL Yellow and AMPHORA Red. But there is a certain air de famille to all these Holland House Cavendish confections. They are beloved of mild-mannered patresfamilias all over Northern Europe.

(Because Americans tend to start their smoking careers with cheap, supermarket-sold, savagely-cased burley blends, they thereafter cast a prejudiced eye on all aromatic blends, once they feel they have "progressed" into "natural" blends. No such prejudice exists in Continental Europe, where quality aromatics are thought of as luxurious.)

Finally, one word of warning to believers in "aged" tobacco: beware of old aromatic tobacco. It does not age well at all. The casing agents go stale, and taste awful. Any "mediciny" taste in a Dutch blend probably means that the casing agents are beginning to go.

Like a stale lady's perfume, it is best avoided.

Seeing tantric's listing of this blend in the New Reviews section reminded me that I have never reviewed this blend although I smoked a pouch about a year ago. I scrambled for my diary to get out my notes (I have been keeping a personal tobacco review diary for about 25 years). Anyway, tantric's review pretty much sums up my feelings about this blend, except that I see no comparison at all between Clan and St. Bruno Flake.

Clan is indeed a finely shag cut tobacco. And boy, is it dry in the pouch -- indeed very similar to Flying Dutchman. It packs and burns well, and is a spicy son of a gun! I may be wrong, but I even detected a smidgen of latakia flavor in the smoke.

It can get steamy, so, have an ample supply of pipe cleaners. It can also be puffed up into the hot zone if not handled with care. All in all, an okay smoke, but I shall not ever smoke the stuff again.

gam86 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gam86 (34)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

I think Clan has evolved a lot since its first pouch, nevertheless is still a good product to be for what it cost. You’ve to keep an eye how you charge it and how you smoke it. Clan isn’t a beginer tobacco, in order to taste all his tobacco you have to smoke it very slow. The aroma and the taste are really good a little bit like Toffee, but it vanish over the time leaving space to the real tobacco.

ringo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ringo (9)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

When I first smoked this tobacco,13 years ago I rejected it being burnt. I guess due to poor technique. Recently i decided to retry, i am currently finishing my second pack. The to bacco is very dry, so it needs some treatment I put a stone that I first keep it in the water for 5 minutes and then throw it at the glassy jar i keep my tobacco. It has very thin cut and is easily packed, but burns quite fast. In terms of taste, this must be what a pirate would love to smoke:exotic buttery vanilla, with addictive rum and a hint of cinamon. It definitely contains Virginia,orientals and cigarish Maryland as it mentions, but i also track sometimes latakia (which i do not like, but here if exists it does not bother me) but i am not sure. In overall i love the taste but I would prefer better quality. But I never stop smoking it, dreaming about old ships, exotic islands deep blue oceans under the stars, unique taste...

Pipe Used: prince apple, bc dardanian

Age When Smoked: 33

Purchased From: tobacco shop

Medium Strong Medium Pleasant

I was really not overjoyed with this . I found it very messy tasting with too much going on in there and I found it hard to pin-point a particular flavour . I also got a bit of bite from it .It really is to much to cope with as they have crammed far too many Tobaccos and flavours into it . Indeed sometimes "less is more" . I find it difficult to express my distain with this blend of the most "Nefarious" character ! The only plus (for me) is the room note was quite good . Really not one for me and I wont have it again ! P.S I have ticked "medium" on taste as there was not one marked "disgusting"!!

Pipe Used: Comoys

Purchased From: Paper Shop

Steden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steden (84)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Ah, the old Clan!... The OLD Clan, not the new! If I close my eyes I can see myself as a guy running after a pipe smoker, stopping him: “excuse me sir, what are you smoking? It smells so good !”... “mmh? What? Oh, yes... it's Clan !“. The fact is that it wasn't so good as the smell boded, but it was enjoyable at least. The current version it's really atrocious, one star despite the good memories.

TheGalwegian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheGalwegian (3)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Viewers will no doubt agree with my ratings up to the point of 'recommendation', where I deviate from the common opinion. Don't worry, I too find clan to smoke way too hot, to be a confused muddle of flavours and to bite like the devil's pet terrier, but I have just had a eureka moment (pipe smokers may say an 'epiphany').

Before Christmas I bought a pouch of the stuff, had all the old problems, but before leaving to visit my family I put two drops of peppermint oil in with it and left it back in the drawer. Upon returning (five days have passed) I found a completely reformed character!

The pouch smelled almost exactly like Murray mints, still lit nicely, but most importantly was an absolute JOY to smoke. Cool as you like, no bite, and the clusterfuck of flavours had transformed into beautiful complexity to be teased out a few at a time the whole way down the bowl.

This commonly available, dirt cheap blend I now hold up there with Samuel Gawith and Dunhill's aro's.

I've occasionally come across mention of peppermint used (in minute quantities) to 'cool' tobacco and reduce bite (one reviewer here went as far as to accuse SG's Squadron leader of being surreptitiously doped with the stuff on account of its mildness, as if it's a bad thing!), but the results here were astounding.

Try Clan, if you find the same problems as I did, consider the couple of drops. It may be the difference between a binned pouch and a fine smoke :)

Vovinam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Vovinam (19)
Mild to Medium Mild Very Mild Pleasant

What can I say about this? This is probably the most classic pipe tobacco in the world, when someone think about the particular smell of the pipe smoking is thinking Clan. The aromatic taste follows the dutch classic orientations as almond, hazelnut, anise and dried fruits, but added in very very very light portions, the true final result is obtained due to the particular mixture of the several types of tobacco (over 14 as you can read in the pouch), in fact I can't think of what isn't inside. The taste is very light, particularly at the mouth, a little more perisistent at the nose, like others dutch blends is a "indoor blend", that means that doesn't stuck in your curtains, but instead haunt your pipe a little, haha. Don't take me wrong, this is a very good one, and an allday tobacco that works in any occasion, even with certain homemade mix (like an Italian classic: 50% Clan / 50% Forte). Burns very fast and sometimes burn also your tongue if you're in a hurry! Some people hate the Clan for all those reason (and maybe for a lot of others) but there's another branch of pipe smokers (like me) who can't stop return to it sometimes, as well as the Clan doesn't lack of regular smokers. What attracts me is probably that far fragrancy of fresh bread, that bit of sweetness that never exceed, long story short its "equilibrium".

Type: Natural aromatic mixture ; Contents: Everything, burley and orientals in particular ; Flavoring: Dutch classic (almond and dried fruits) but very light ; Cut: Veeeery long and curly ribbons ; Humidity: It's extremly difficult to find a fresh pouch because tends to dry very fast, but still is fine except when totaly dehydratated ; Lighting: Super easy, very fast burning (pay attention at your tongue) ; Pipe recommended: Tall, medium size, straight or half bent, and like all the dutch type and burleys, awesome with the meerschaum!

Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

I had reviewed this blend once before; that review had been based on my experience of 20 years ago. In the meantime, this blend has changed, and my own smoking preferences have changed, too; therefore I have pulled my old review, which as it was, I do not believe does justice to Clan as it is currently being offered.

So here goes the new one.

The packaging is still very much as I remember it, as is the leaf: a thin ribbon in a roll-your-own-style pouch. The pouch aroma, though is very much a different story; where, long ago, I got something stuffy and cigar-ish, now there is a definite perfume and soap note. Not necessarily in a bad way, though. The thin ribbon needs careful stuffing, or you may actually stop up your pipe; experience certainly helps me here now that I actually have it.

From the fresh pouch, I don't need a char; I get Clan lit with a single match. The taste is much more sweet than it was oh-so-long-ago; I can make out some notes of VA and Burley, but the large range of components still ends up making this blend a bit of a wild mix. The burn is OK, the taste deepens just a tad throughout the bowl, and there is some spice in there. The room note I get is the same perfume-ish scent that I notice in the pouch; certainly more acceptable than back when I first tested this brand name.

Still, this is not something I will be getting back to. It is OK, not a blend I would throw away, and yes, I know a couple of pipesters who love it. In a pinch, I would buy a pouch over several other supermarket offerings. So, I can recommend to try it; it might fit your bill.

SmileyOrb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmileyOrb (12)

I recall trying this a couple of years ago. I decided to write this review today as I noticed a chap smoking his pipe with this outside a pipe shop in Victoria Street, London. The aroma is distinctive! I'm aware this blend has received mixed reviews. My recollection is a got tired of this tobacco. The taste is toffee/caramel. Its a mild to medium strength and suggest to have a dedicated bowl as the ghost of it remains in the pipe for a few days.It's a easy smoke and I recall that frequently I found the taste can get a bit, well...monotonous. Remembering its aromatic, folk say it's a pleasant aroma. However, at the time I was new to pipe smoking and now enjoy non-aromatics more. However, I'm thinking of giving it another try now my smoking tastes have matured. I recall that sometimes it tasted artificial. It's not a fine tobacco but for over the counter its not bad either. Let's put it this way...the UK over the counter / supermarket stores main pipe tobaccos are St.Bruno, Condor and Navy cut John Players and Clan. St Bruno for me is the best of this choice. However, I have ended up somewhat ambivalent regarding Clan. After smoking Petersons Luxury Blend (which is delightful), Clan is quite flat in comparison. I've been spoilt recently on fine tobaccos and as a result it's like comparing fish and chips meal to a Salmon steak meal! So, my rating remains average. It has memories though of my Dad's old boss smoking it like no tomorrow. So; I'll revisit in homage to this memory. I suggest you try for just the experience. You may be pleasantly surprised in the short term.

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (163)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

The regular (common, normal Clan) Clan is this, called "Clan Aromatic" Is splendid.

One of my favorites, i smoke Clan since I was a Teen, a begginner. For me, the flavour and taste are remarkable, remembered for years, singular, specific and fully different.

The mixture of Tobaccos (14 different types) gives to this a unique caracther, taste anf flavour.Also is very complex, since is a mixture of many tobacco types,

Is fully different of any other tobacco, no comparison with other mixtures.

Fully aromatic, strong, burns easily and still fast and hot, but never bad!

I recommend you to smoke it gently and very slowly, since their cut is a fine ribbon and it easy overheat ansd may burn the tongue.

Clan Aromatic is Historic, ia s Classic. Very good, fully recommended. 4 Stars.

Upgrading the review:

I bought 2 new pouchs of it, recently.

Now, this tobacco is good, but normal, only decent. Is only a Ghost, a Phantom when compared with the old recipe from Theodorus Niemeyer.

Unfortunately, no more fantastic! Only 2 Stars.

henwrench Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
henwrench (16)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Ah, the dreaded Clan!!! Well now, I've gotta be honest, I really like this stuff. I don't know why it gets such bad reviews, I was put off getting any of this for a long time but curiosity got the better of me and I got me 25g's. Opened her up and liked what I saw and smelled. Quite strange to pack, you gotta do it kind of loose. Yep, she burns quick alright, but, hey, so what? Perfect for a speedy 15 minute 'moment'. And, wow, is this one complex smoke! I was extremely pleased to be able to pick out the V's, Perique, the Cav's, the Turkish and the Burley all coming over me in luscious waves. I wouldn't reccomend this tobacco to a total newbie, 'cos of the very complexity, but if like me you thinking about it, try it, try it, try it!!! It is an Orlik after all...

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (111)

I had this recommended to me by a special needs guy I work with who used to smoke it by the bucketload and loved the sweet flavour. I had never heard it before but decided to take my life into my hands and give it a go when I saw it in my local supermarket a couple of days later.

I was actually quite excited when I got the well packed, tartan strewn packet home, and the hints of caramel, with perhaps a subtle tint of mint, wafted up from the tobacco as I opened it up. The packing was, and has been since, very easy as has the lighting. The caramel flavour continued on into the smoke providing a pleasant, relaxing experience. Also, the general lack of tongue bite is a plus point.

I have to say, fair play to the guy I look after, he's been onto a decent tobacco. It's not a classic by any means, but for a good afternoon smoke it really hits the spot.

meerkat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerkat (64)

After watching a series of reviews of classic American blends on YouTube (by nickandhispipe) I decided to work my way through some of our classic (and readily available) British blends.

I approached Clan with excitement and trepidation, having heard so much about how bad it was. I think I wanted something amazing and awful.

I was both disappointed and pleasantly surprised.

It is a slightly woody, slightly caramel sweet tasting tobacco. Akin to some light aromatics from companies like Petersons. It burns well and doesn't bite as much as some more expensive and highly regarded tobaccos. I was stunned to find that the flavour was deep and more layered than I had expected. It is actually quite complex. There is a definite whiff of play-doh to it which I don't really care for but also don't find to be an insurmountable obstacle.

I probably wouldn't choose to smoke this again but I also wouldn't hurl at it the vitriol other have. It's actually OK.

Contemplative Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Contemplative (14)

Open the pouch and you'll get a sweet, slightly woody smell. Contents are thickly entwined thin ribbons varying in colour from light through medium to dark brown. It emerges in dense but light clumps when you pick the stuff out.

Now, I used to positively loathe Clan, partly because it smokes far too quickly, and partly because I didnt like the taste. However, 10 years after last trying it, I've bought several pouches over the last month, and find it to be much better than I remembered.

Best thing about it is the pretty full, woody aroma. I now find I can also smoke pipeful after pipeful with absolutely no bite. And it doesn't irritate my throat, nor make me feel as if my lungs are going to give out (what a plus, eh!) Worst thing about Clan is that it does burn too fast, so that you finish a bowl in no time.

Now view it as a very acceptable in-between smoke, when I don't have the opportunity to get hold of something with more quality.

Davie Jones Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davie Jones (61)

I managed to get two 50g pouches through an acquaintance in Europe.

I have smoked it in the past, during my first years. I keep the memory of a long cut shag that did not taste anything.

After all these years, I can say that Clan is not that bad, after all. Not, by far, a memorable tobacco, but I have certainly smoked a lot worse.

This mixture displays a combination of very long cut multi-coloured leaf. This is not a shag cut anymore.

The pouch aroma is sweet and slightly smoky.

Ironically, you need to be an experienced smoker, pace yourself and dedicate your total attention to Clan to be able to get any flavour out of it without ending up with major tongue bite.

The taste is of a mild, tyoical Danish CA with just a touch of smokiness. I can't say that I taste the perique, oriental or kentucky.They must be in very light condimental proportions.

Nothing grand, but I did somehow enjoy the experience. I will certainly smoke it occasionnaly and finish my two pouches.

who broke my clay pipe? Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
who broke my clay pipe? (45)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

One of the better over the counter blends;i have bought this a few times at the bus station when i have been out and ran out of my on person internet purchases..

Comes in a green tartan pouch design in 50g and 25g i think..

Pouch aroma: Earthy and slight caramel casing..

Appearance in pouch: Crimpled ribbons,feels dry but smokes moister.

Pipe used: Peterson rustic bent apple 303.

It smokes ok out of the packet but would benefit from a little drying out,,i used a pipe zippo to light it..

This didn't seem to bite and i don't remember any real soap factor in this,and if there was it hasen't left a memorable impression.

It being mild left no ghosting in my pipe either..

To describe the baccy it had a mono but consistant taste;considering the amount of alleged ingredients within,none of them stand out - you get a rounded average taste,,,mild i suppose,,,slightly woody,,,a light wood..

Its a dry taste perhaps like a stronger rollup tobacco,,the closest comparison would be to "samson" rollup ,but stronger.. A few people i know make roll ups with this as well..

So it is slightly cigarette-ish and has a dry taste;to describe it alegorically its like smoking card,,like the cardboard of a box that had contained toffee's,,,;imagine a box that has had some toffee's in it which is empty & you sniff the box & then lick it(like when you was a kid and wanted some more),,it tastes like that basically;toffee aromatic sweetened cardboard box..

Its alright but nothing special;it tasted ok in a briar as well(i only use clays these days),,it may taste better in a clay but i don't know..

Not bad for a drug store brand but for an extra possible £1 i can buy more interesting and enjoy it better..

A semi aromatic OK for someone trancending cigarettes - it won't put them off..It has due to its mildness the ability to be an all dayer smoke as well..

The room note is ok,its OK for a pipe smell..

If i had to purchase a british newsagent pipe tobacco and erinmore was not on the shelf i would purchase Clan..(erinmore although a semi OTC, is in a class as good as anything which is harder to aquire,,i even order it on line)

Its not a complicated smoke and doesn't say much;its a brand that one of my dads work colleagues used to smoke in a falcon pipe,,it reminds me of a workmans smoke rather than a conneseur(can never spell it)choice..

For a toffee-ish aromatic i would smoke this over petersons "sweet killarney" which was an untameable biter,although i am sure there are better toffee aromatics about(i don't really smoke aromatics anymore)..

UPDATE 17/06/2012

My first review obove was written from vague memories,but i have recently revisited this OTC as part of my small OTC odyssey.

The words "over the counter" ant the term OTC became for some reason a dirty word which was due to my pipe snobbery at the time of being spoiled by harder to aquire brands with elaborate preparation techniques.

Butterscotch pouch aroma,medium aromatic.

Having tried a fair amount of tobacco archetypes now,my palette has developed and i can detect more nuances,and also my quantity of pipes in my collection and experience of matching the best combinations of draught hole and smoke tube diameters,bowl profiles, and system pipes to different types and blends for dedicated usage pipes:I am now bumping this one up to three stars because it is such an easy to live with semi aromatic baccy(an aromatic with serious base tobaccos).

It sure has a kitchen sink of ingredients,but i now find it interesting for this factor because down the bowl i get so many hints and its a real transformer.

A semi aromatic/english/burley/virginia/oriental/latakia,a unique enigma of a medium/mild easy OTC ,everyday ,allday, smoke.

Smoked in a curved multipurpose stem falcon pipe with large 'instanbul rustic bowl(falcons being my best performing pipe since retiring my old clays because i initially wasn't getting on well with my first briar endevours(i was over using them and not rotating))i am getting a better cleaner open taste and have realised that i judged this blend too early and didn't know what i was really tasting,my comparations to cardboard was because i was used to full aromatics and not real tobacco yet.

To the uninitiated it might seem a bit cardboardish(but i could say worse of my better tobaccos when veiwing through the impression of a neophites ignorance)but to a veteran pipe smoker it may seem underwhealming compared to more robust heavyweights and sits in an awkward middle ground of judgement.

Taken for what it is, it is certainly unique enough to deserve a permanent place in my rotation and the fact that i can almost get it anywhere means its worth more in the longrun and will likely be around when other names of prestige seem to disapear.

A spicey sweetish smokey smoke,cinnamon,nutmeg,peppery,caramel,granny fruit cake nuances in an aromatic sence,probably a combination taste of all baccies combined with a light topping.

The topping or light casing remains with the tobacco and isn't a fader.

Tastes overall like a sun cured/toasted impression.

First light is a little spikey but it settles into a neutral PH balancs quickly.

Medium light nicotine but satisfying and ok for bigger bowls,i can tolerate large bowls without tiring and its as easy as sucking a butterscotch sweet and becomes an auto pilot smoke that doesn't demand attention.

Its a crinkly ribbon cut which when removed from the pouch expands like hellfire and i need two regualar kilner jars to jar it.

It contains all ingediants but none stand out too boldly to over power,its like a balanced house party of many familier guests tasted in alternating combinations that you wouldnt necessarily think of.Sweet and savoury yet composed but complex and interesting if you can penetrate the combined overal surface.

I will purchase again.

aviviljoen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aviviljoen (18)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Not bad for a budget tobacco, this blend offers an honest-to-goodness smoke, as long as you don't expect anything fancy.

It has to be just right out of the bag: too dry, and it burns like grass. Too wet, and you will struggle to keep it lit, and it will shred your tongue. Okay, I know this is the case with all tobaccos, but it seems more critical in the case of Clan. Get it right, then Clan offers a lot as an everyday smoke: easy to pack and light, easy to smoke, even burn, straitforward, with a bit of a nicotine kick.

Solid, run-of-the-mill stuff, not too sweet, and certainly nothing to get excited about. A tobacco for the masses.

Taipanmamba Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taipanmamba (16)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This was the first tobacco I tried in my teenage years and the pouch smell takes me back 20 years . I love this blend and although it is not without fault the deep earthy smell from the tobacco is wonderful . It can burn a little hot but with careful and slow puffing it gives a delicious and flavoursome spicy smoke . The room note is unique and many people comment on the woody and atmospheric aroma it leaves . It may even have an aphrodisiac effect !! . It does dry out very quickly in the pouch and I think many of the negative reviews here may be as a result of people smoking dry pouches . It is worth paying close attention to moisture levels and rehydrating if need be . It can burn quickly but forms a clean white ash . I find this a great tobacco to break new pipes in with as it coats the lining of the bowl evenly and allows quick carbon build up . Definitely worth trying and a personal nostalgic favourite of mine . Dont listen to the haters ! Long live the Clan !!

Stewiebob69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stewiebob69 (7)

I've been on another forum, and many people don't like Clan, but I find it very pleasurable if you smoke it right. I smoke it with my Mr Brog no47. This pipe has great, smooth air flow through the pipe (with it's 9mm filter), and as long as you lightly sip @ the pipe, the Clan tobacco burns slowly enough to release the flavours & taste to the bottom of the bowl. Just allow the smoke slowly roll over your tongue & into the olfactory senses in the nasal cavity to appreciate the delicate but cool flavours. As Clan is a fine cut tobacco, it needs a slow flow of air to burn, otherwise if you draw on the pipe too strongly it will burn too quickly and turn to ash straight away and give that harsh, bitter back bite. You know when the smoke is over as you taste the ash.

Packet smell: aromatic heathery, herby with touch of pine forest.

Taste & flavour: similar to it's fragrance, aromatic, heathery, herby, touch of resinous pine trees with a hint of liquorice at the end. Can be a bit sickly, so smoke in moderation. Mr Brog no47 has a small bowl size, so no problem there.

Room note: Pleasurable and fragrant.

A dessert smoke as opposed to something like St Bruno, which is more meaty and savoury in nature.

Carrot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Carrot (13)

I have avoided buying supermarket tobacco for years after an unpleasant experience with Craven Ready Rubbed. Recently I found I'd run out of tobacco and was faced with Clan as my only option. When I bought it I thought that I would not like it. I must say I was pleasantly surprised. I think this stuff is good. There are so many different tobaccos in this mix it's imposible to pick one out. I don't normally like aromatics but I liked Clan. The other good thing about this stuff is that it's readily available and It's cheap. I'll be smoking Clan on a regular basis from now on.

I see that this tobacco has had a lot of negative reviews. But I like it and I have not once had tongue bite, not one bit. After reading all the bad reviews I can't be sure we're smoking the same tobacco because I think it's really good. Oh well, try it because like me you may enjoy it. But many people don't like it.

Philosopher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philosopher (27)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is my first review - hello to everyone.

I started the pipe again about a year ago, having tried initially in 1983 at the age of 18. This time round - largely thanks to sites like this one - I've worked out how to smoke propely.

Clan was the second tobacco I tried in 1983, and I remember it as having quite an earthy aroma in the packet. Having bought a packet last week I was looking forward to a Proustian moment of rememberance when I opened it. I was disappoinhted: the smell was different from what I was anticipating. Has it really changed from the old days or is it just me that has changed?

I had low expectations of the smoke because of this (and because of the many poor reviews by others), but I have to say that after 4 bowls it isn't actually that bad. Certainly I found that it had less bite than - say - Macbaren Navy Flake.

I'd be very interested to hear from others as to whether Clan 2010 is significantly different from Clan 1983.

Thomasius Wolff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thomasius Wolff (3)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Having been ferociously (and amusingly) bashed by many members of this forum Clan deserves at least a few notes in its favour. Certainly - there is no use in denying the obvious points of criticism (it burns rather hot even when smoked at very moderate speed, it likes to bite the tongue quite fiercely). It may not be a visionary work of blending. Yet its taste has some quite redeeming qualities - not being overly intense it gives you a broad panoply of subtle and well composed notes. Simply describing it as flat somewhat misses the point, I think; there is some depth and (even if somewhat restrained) abundance to this mixture that becomes more easy to discern when the stuff has lain drying for a while.

If its negative qualities are as widely known as it would seem, the Aberystwyth tobacconist that recommended Clan to me when I back in the olden days bought my first pipes may well even have wanted to deter me from pursuing my smoking whish. Nonetheless standing on Constitution hill, looking down on the Irish Sea and smoking a bowl of Clan started my passion for the pipe. And still I fancy a whiff of that stuff now and then (though my taste has taken rather different paths since then).

BowHunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BowHunter (12)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

First: I love EM, but..today, after years (I think more than 10) I bought again this tobacco. Clan. Most because it was my granfather and father tobacco, and also because I tried years before and I like the smell it leaves on pipes (of course pipes dedicated to aromatics).

I tried to smoke it very quietly, in relax and without strange worries. Kinda like "who cares about keeping lit, if it becomes too hot I'll let it go and cold down and then I'll re-lit"

wow! What a fresh and cool smoke! Not a single drop of wet, it smokes really dry, really nice aroma and good force.

Of course, be careful in filling the bowl and how do you smoke. If you are a hot smoker, bad taste is waiting for you.

In the end, very nice bowl, more than other famous aromatics and with a mildness grater than other "suggested" mixture, english or not.

Good.

For sure I'll smoke it again. It's a tobacco that wrote pipe history.

Daggers62 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Daggers62 (18)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Unnoticeable

I am very new to pipe smoking after giving up a 30 a day cigarette habit. I wish I had changed years ago!! At least I still have all of the tobacco variations still to come :)

This is my first review on this great website and being new to pipe smoking I cant tell the differences between all of the different types.. yet.

I wanted to work my way through the various supermarket brands to find an everyday readily available smoke. Clan is NOT it!!

I tried this late last night but after having quite a few different tobaccos yesterday I put the tongue bite down to that. Today, having been up for a good few hours I thought I would sit back with a bowl of Clan and give it a proper taste. Taste wise, it is very mild with no real flavour to speak of, I was expecting more as it is labelled as Aromatic and a very subtle sweet smell coming from the pouch.

After a couple of puffs, my tongue was 'nipped' even though I was taking it slow and trying to get a good taste of it. After a few more puffs my tongue was bitten, so much so I put my pipe down to recover. After going back to it, and if I smoked it any more slower I would be relighting it tomorrow, I continued on and I am pleased I only filled half a bowl.

The roof of my mouth feels stripped of skin, my tongue is so bitten I cant taste my coffee and it moved me to sit down and write my first review.

In short, if you can get over the very HOT tongue bite the flavour is very mild, the room note is pretty much non existant and if anybody wants to buy the remains of a 25g pouch of this stuff then drop me a line.

EDIT 16th May: So I thought I would give this another try in case I was wrong first time around and loaded it into a corn cob. The tongue bite is so overwhelming you cant taste anything for ages afterwards. THIS TOBACCO IS EVIL & NASTY!!!

foxman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
foxman (1)
Mild None Detected Overwhelming Overwhelming

I have smoked clan for over twenty years, it smoked brilliant and had a smell of vanila, very nice smell, now the company is in new hands and it smokes hot, like its full of salt peter. the smell is nasty in fact fowl so do not even try it im stopping smoking it

Juna Gu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Juna Gu (31)

This was my first ever pipe tobacco. I had no idea how to smoke a pipe back then but I can remember that once I'd discovered flakes and whatnot they made this stuff seem really naff. I've no desire to ever return to it, not even for "old times" sake. Not even to try and give a balanced review. I know that this stuff is terrible. And yes - why is it so widely available. It's one of those really, really weird features of life on earth that this stuff is de rigeur in most cornerstores and supermarkets. I was in a shop the other day and I noticed that this was the ONLY pipe tobacco that they had and they had about 20 packs of it. The mind boggles. Stay away from it.

Mild Medium Mild Tolerable to Strong

OK, I had to try this in my quest to try every blend I can before I die and this one always escaped me. I did not expect much, as the reviews and nasty comments about it are less than flattering along the lines of Mixture 79. But, I could actually like this one if they did not put napalm in it!

I love the packaging and name of this blend. The plaid backdrop on the roll up pouch has always intrigued me. The pouch I received was from a forum buddy in England who wanted to try 5 Bros, and it was very much on the dry side. I have experimented with it the last few weeks dry up to hydrated. It's in a shag cut not as fine as 5 Bros of all brown tobaccos. Upon first light, it tasted really, pretty good, kind of like a sour apple candy with a little chocolate backdrop. Not in your face aromatic but there. But after a few puffs, look out! Fire, Fire! This one must be smoked slow, slow, slow, or your tongue will look like beef jerky. I think it's the hottest tobacco I have ever tried. But, I liked the taste and have stuck with it. The room note is kinda sour and sweet and tolerable, not great though. It does light very easy, stays lit, and burns all the way down to a gray ash and no dottle. No moisture at the bottom of the pipe. I will smoke the rest of the pack slowly, but would not buy it again because it is so hot and you can't relax with it. But it's not near as bad as it's reviews and could be quite good if it was not so hot. I'm glad I tried it. __________________

p4p4 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p4p4 (52)

I think all people hate this blend din't hunderstand it. A very traditional dutch blend, with tropical tobacco and very natural aromas. You have to smoke it very slowly, possibly indoor. Try it with a little part of a sumatra cigar cutted: wonderful. Try it with a goos irginia flake: good ! In the winter, when you have to smoke indoor, with very little puffs: very agradable. Not for beginners, sure. Nicotine level: medium. A little smokiness (maybe a little pinch of latakia) with tropical tobaccos aroma and liquorice-anice-tonka flavours. Yes, it is good and not expensive.

Primitiveman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Primitiveman (3)
Extremely Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

The first tobacco I ever tried, so back then I didn't know that smoking wasn't meant to make your tongue feel like it had been sandpapered raw. This tobacco has a papery texture, springy and difficult to pack. Smokes very hot, however slowly you go. The smoke has little taste or aroma, so at least it won't upset your companions much. I re-visited Clan recently after a twenty year gap, and ended up chucking most of the packet. Never again!

Xerxes -- The Pied Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Xerxes -- The Pied Piper (4)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

The second pipe tobacco I ever smoked, a great place for a beginner.

(The first was Condor Original -- THAT was a mistake! That is very powerful for anybody who hasn't tried it and got the "Condor shivers". Again, very potent.)

With mild sweet caramel notes, this is best smoked slowly in a long pipe to avoid bite and burn.

Burns to a fine white ash and seems to build cake fairly well, again like a said excellent for a beginner, possibly not so much for a more "advanced", no wait thats not the word.

Urm, "experienced" -- that'll do.

Could leave the more experienced pipe smoker wanting a little more, in flavour and strength, nevertheless it's very widely available and doesn't cost the earth (well, not quite anyway!)

I believe everybody must try this for at least a half-pouch.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

well this is the only tobacco that really imazed me on several occasions i had been in an on and off relation with this blend, in some pouches i can really enjoy the rounded taste coming from all the included tobaccos, while other blends smoked with a very bland taste(perhaps a weak quality control?).on the bright side its a mixture of cuts bt mostly ribbon which makes it easy to pack and keep lit. the tobacco smokes dry however the aroma (room note) is not a friendly one! smokes a bit on the harsh side...not an all day smoke for me.

bluejohnwilli Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bluejohnwilli (5)

well this is the worst tobacco i have ever smoked . i would prefer to smoke my shorts !

Vandaahl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Vandaahl (8)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Yuck! If this would have been my first pipe tobacco I would have never have started smoking a pipe. My local tobacco suplier sells loads of this stuff, so I just had to try this blend. I have never encountered a pipe tobacco as bad as this. I tried to smoke it twice, then I just gave up and threw it all away! I might just have had a bad pouch but I will certainly not buy one again... shivers...

Pipemanuk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipemanuk (76)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I have to say, in an honest spirit, that there's never been anything wrong with this blend. Its been around in the UK for donkeys years and I guess is the European version of 'the drugstore blend'; light, flavoured, sweetened and mild. It smells like custard powder and thats how we used to refer to it. Clan was looked on by my contempories as a 'transition' tobacco...one for newbies to smoke till they graduated onto more solid manly pipe tobaccos, though my cousin always smoked it. It's not accurate to look at it as the euro version of the Carter Hall/Prince Albert tobaccos tho, in the sense that it wasn't a tobacco smoked by oldtimers. It was much more of a 1960's phenomenon. The oldtimers were more Players Navy Cut, Whisky Flake and heaven help us Erinmore pipe smokers. I must confess that we looked down on Clan, regarding it as so mild as to be wimpy. The only use it had was as a mix with a certain substance forbidden by law :-)...in that it was very useful being so mild it was easily inhaled and less harsh on the throat than cigarette tobacco. And the aroma of custard powder and biscuits went very well together! I remember sitting on the train coming back from Brighton one day and smelling that particular mix and us laughing about it, when a long haired brother lifted his head up from further down the carriage and put his finger to his lips, grinning from ear to ear! Happy days:-) Anyway...give me Carter Hall over Clan anyday. It's more honest tobacco. And at about $16 for 50g which is what pipe tobacco is like here my American friends; its better to give Clan a miss and buy some decent stuff.

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (96)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

I bought a pouche of this about twenty years ago, acouple of bowls later and the remainder was donated to the dustbin, I cannot bring myself to try this one again, not even for tobacco reviews.com, I think I would rather gouge my own eyeballs out with red hot needles first, so shall we say "Not Recommended" and one star ?

garydobbs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
garydobbs (15)

I can't understand why so many people are so negative about this tobacco and I love everything about it. The aroma, the taste, even the feel of the stuff as you put it into your bowl. It's also a massive seller so it can't be as unpopular as people would have you believe. I smoke a number of brands on a regular basis and this one is always among my top five. I find the sweet, almost chocolate aroma very pleasing and usually smoke this with a nice glass of full bodied red wine - they seem to compliment each other. Ignore the negative stuff and give this one a fair try - I'm loving it.

IMO this is the king of the aromatics.

UPDATE - I have been smoking a pipe for sometime and I find my tastes have changed. I would no longer rate this tobacco as highly as I have previously, though I do still enjoy it from time to time. It seems to smoke a lot hotter than it used to. I don't know if that's me or if the blend has changed. UPDATE 30 12 2009 - These days I find that Clan is second only in my choice of readily available supermarket brands. I always go for St. Bruno if available but Clan would be my next choice - preferable to both mellow virginia and gold block.

Another year on and I think I have been unfair on Clan. It is actually a good rich tasting tobacco. I definitely dig the aroma and my partner, a non smoker, also finds the aroma in the room pleasing. I still prefer St Bruno but I think Clan is definitely my second choice in the readily available supermarket brands.

Chimney1966 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chimney1966 (4)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Pleasant

First of all, have to say, this tobacco is such that, either you like it, or you hate it. This tobacco would actually deserve grading "seven and half out of ten" (3 stars, when 4 is max). BUT, when asked "additionally" two questions: 1. Is this tobacco worth of the money? (Yes, it aint expensive, its about the cheapest one available here, and easiest to get from almost all kiosks and supermarkets) 2. Does it do what it is intended to do? (Yes, it certainly satisfies the basic need, nothing really fancy, but it certainly does it job even better than some more expensive "fancy blends") As conclusion, it earned all the stars.

Now, to the detailed assessment... Like so many others, I remeber this tobacco from my early childhood, my grandfather used to smoke this blend between 1967 and 1969 (he shifted from cigarettes to be a pipesmoker in 1967 and gave up smoking entirely 1969), and naturally there were lots of fond memories related to this. Even during time I was kid, I liked Clans tobacco pouch aroma, as as it was similar to strong liquorice ("salmiak") due ammonium chloride. I also noticed already then how well its packs in the bowl (as three years old, during late 1969 I sometimes had proviledge to "load" the pipe for my grandfather, and quickly learned how easy it was to pack properly) When I bought my first pipe (Dunhill, during 1992) I used first this blend as the tobacco to form the cake into the new bowl. And Clan was the tobacco which was to set the standards of being "the basic" pipe tobacco.

Regarding the CUT: The cut of Clan is a PROPER pipe tobacco cut, and is far superior than those unfortunate Scandinavian thin shag cuts (due their "roll your own" uses) which have in Scandinavian market "spoiled" Borkums Riff and Amphora tobaccos (and which really can damage the bowl of your pipe while burning excessively hot, and when too moist, are really prone to cause tongue bite). So, if visiting Scandinavia, and need to get a re-supply of pipe tobacco, Clan is fairly safe choice.

The distinctive "chemical smell" mentioned earlier by few reviewers (poupehan, Eldrich) is, no doubt, ammonium chloride which has been sprinkled over the blend. And just like Eldrich mentioned, I have heard similar stories that opening the pouch will cause this particular tobacco to loose its strength really fast (and relatively strong becames "extra mild"). Only way to secure that this tobacco will hold its slight moist and aroma is to pack it immediately after opening the pouch into a glass jar with airtight rubber seal and wire locked lid (this particular tobacco really needs "gastight" storage) So, as cheap as this tobacco might be, it is fairly demanding regarding proper storage. Also if this has been in shop shelf for long time, it might have lost some its strength. On the other hand.., if first bowl is too strong for you, store some of the tobacco (for bowl or two) in tiny metal box (without airtight seal) for a day...

Proper spicy flavor prevents beginners from buffing too hard, so actually this is suitable belnd for beginners (and then they can find something better smokes as "pleasant discoveries"). there are 14 different and it can be noticed while in pouch and while smoke. No doubt, there is Latakia, than can be tasted as well as Virginia and Burley. No wonder, so many cigarette smokers changed to this, as "a natural continuation". I have seen that there are additional variants of Clan such as Mild and Malt Whisky but never tried neither of them (even I would like to try Clan Malt Whisky sometime). Mild is available from local tobacco shop, but the another not...

Talking about room note of this tobacco is bit under-estimated in "size scale". As I was visiting one fairly small town (with not much traffic) as I walked along the street, I suddenly noticed clear aroma of Clan, and as I looked around, fellow (whom I knew) was standing across the street (in range of about 30 yards) and smoked his pipe...(so, in scale, almost "a street note") Distinctive (almost territorial) room note of Clan is fairly individualistic nowdays. Long time ago it was quite common, but nowdays relatively rare, but although fairly distinctive, most find it pleasant (and possibly due relatively rare encounter).

And just as ROMMER mentioned in earlier review, this tobacco really enters your system... After 20 minutes you can feel it, and its effect will last about 4 hours... Old folks used to say that this stuff enchances the blood circulation for quite a while, so, during a cold and rainy November day while feet and hands feel really cold, bowlful of Clan certainly "corrects" that (at least did that to me), during hot day (or in hot climate) might make someone to sweat. This might be reason why most loyal Clan smokers were old men...

I keep collection of dirrerent brands and blends of pipe tobacco stored for diffrerent occations, and most are more fancy (and expensive) than Clan, but Clan is "the old reliable" which has earned its place amongst the tobacco stock. When I can not decide which to enjoy a bowlful, then I choose Clan... In case I use my Peterson 303 System (which does not have a filter) I load bottom of the bowl (about 1/4 layer) with W.O.Larsens Old Fashioned, and then 3/4 of Clan. Clan provides the spice and bottom layer of Old Fashioned takes care that fine ash of perfectly combusting Clan does not endup to the bit... And it is fairly perfect smoke... I have enjoyed every bowl, never had tonguebit or irritation... Actually.., one time as I was once again affected by paper dust allergy (after processing old archive files the dust from old papers made my throat sore and nose running and feel really miserable) I loaded the bowl of my pipe (in frustration and miserable feeling condition) really full of Clan and smoked it during 30 minutes time... And after that, my thoroat was no longer dry or sore, and my nose was no longer running.., so, I dare to say Clan worked like anti-histamine and stopped allergic rhinitis... Indeed smells like medicine, but works like one too... Now you know, why Clan is one of my favourites...

Update: Earlier I smoked "original Clan", but latest have been DK made (made by Orlik), and although nicotone kick has somewhat reduced (milder than earlier), I just bought 200 grams tin of this stuff, so, it can not be all that bad as many think...

ROMMER Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ROMMER (17)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Pleasant

Okay folks, here I am again updating my opinion of Clan and not only giving it 4 stars but also letting you all know why this underrated beauty is now my holy grain of all smokes.

Reason 1: Clans flavor is unlike any other pipe tobacco out there, it is utterly unique. Unlike Condor / St Bruno and most other English blends it misses out on the soapy overtones and instead tastes a lot like burnt toast with a herbal undertone...

Reason 2: However it is what Clan does to the pipe that overshadows the taste. Smoke Clan in any pipe and it immediately becomes a CLAN pipe. This stuff literally clings to the pipe and flavors it. Here is a true story. My grandfather (g.r.h.s) passed away over 10 years ago and I inherited his old pipe. Nothing grand, just an old Alco system pipe. I had not seen him smoke that pipe for at least 10 years prior to his death and yes, even after 20 years the pipe smelt of Clan. Not many tobaccos are that individual. Clan however is one of them. If you become a Clan smoker so do your pipes and after many bowls the taste just gets stronger and stronger. But how about the burn...

Reason 3: Some time ago now I gave up pipe smoking, yes prior to finding Clan I became utterly fed up with badly burning tobaccos, tobaccos that were wet and nasty, tobaccos that were expensive and useless. Clan however saved the day because imo it burns with the greatest ease of any tobacco in the world. It is never to wet when purchased and if you have any trouble at all just let it stand in the air for a few hours. It nearly always smokes away to a fine dust and is neither hot or fast burning. With Clan in the pipe you can smoke those pipes that you though were poor smokers, the stuff is made for the pipe.But again...

Reason 4: Smoking Clan is rebellious because most people try it once and give up, they never allow time to understand the tobaccos complexities. Those of us that smoke Clan are in a way the monority and thats a good poition to be in. Who wants to be just another St Bruno nut when he can be a Clan compadre!

Reason 5:The roots of Scandinavian Tobacco Group stretch to more than 200 years ago, when the three Danish tobacco dynasties, Chr. Augustinus Fabrikker, Copenhagen (founded 1750), C.W. Obel, Aalborg (1787) and R. Færchs Fabrikker, Holstebro (1869), launched their first products.

Say no more. Clan goes back donkeys years. I love it and I hope you will. If you dont then you can always send me your unwated tins and I will put them to good use ;)

Thanks for reading.

Pipesmoking101 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipesmoking101 (18)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This was the second pipe smoke that I ever tried, & this review is being written from memory. What I can remember with 100% certainty is that this tobacco almost caused me to give up on pipes, I remember thinking 'if this is what smoking pipes is about, I'm going back to ciggies', hot burn, tongue bite, generally unpleansant taste (which I could taste when my tongue was not on fire), a thouroughly unpleasant experience. Luckily I persevered & discovered the delights of quality Tobaccos & Pipes, & discovered the world of Pipesmoking joy. My advice to all pipesmokers regarding Clan is very simple STAY AWAY. DO NOT TOUCH THIS VILE CONCOCTION BY ANY MEANS. I cannot possibly comment on a blend from long ago as it may be quite pleasant, the current clan on sale is however, a nauseating heresy of a tobacco, & is not something I have or would ever smoke again even if I was paid to.

Steerpike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steerpike (60)
Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I really enjoy this tobacco. It was always my fathers smoke of choice, so perhaps thats why I like it so much, the aroma seems comfortably familiar. Its a quite natural tasting aromatic in the Dutch tradition, very mild. The aroma is sweetenet with a subtle dose of vanilla, that does not mask the tobacco flavour, as in so many more heavily cased blends, but sweetens and adds to it. The tobacco is cut quite fine, into long even ribbons without too much stemmy bits, and is quite easy to pack evenly, due to the very even cut of the tobacco, although it helps to tease it apart a litle as you fill, rather than just stuffing it in. It lights as easily as it packs, and does not go out. This baccy does seem to vary a little from pouch to pouch in its moisture content, some can be a little damp, and so tend to gurgle, but this can be overcome by leaving it open for a while. Due to the sugars in it it is unlikely to get crispy dry though, so never really dries out in the pouch. A truly excellent aromatic.

---------------Update-------------------------------------------

Not having smoked this in a while, I got a pouch, and immediately wondered why I had been wasting my time trying so many other aromatics. If there is a perfect aromatic this is it. Admittedly there are others that are sweeter, like a vannilla explosion when you light up. But they also burn hotter, wetter and steamier, with far less taste of tobacco. They also represent an olfactory assult on anybody in the room not unlike an overdose of perfume, which is all very well if people like vanilla/cherry/whatever else but some don't. The aroma of clan is indeed unobtrusive, sweet in its own way, but the sweetness is so artfully blended in that it cannot be told apart from the smell of the tobacco as with some sweeter blends. The tobaccos used in this blend are diverse, and the casings include rum, vanilla, and liquorice, in restrained doses. I've not found that anybody dislikes its aroma, but many people have told me that it smells nice, including a number of people with an absolute aversion to tobacco smoke.

Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

A classic tobacco, sold since decades ago and which can be found almost anywhere in Italy... but also a quite universally despised one! It's not "bad", it simply is in the same mould of Amphora Green: tasteless and insignificant. If puffed EXTREMELY slowly it has some sweetness and toastiness... and you will have to smoke slowly not to fry your tongue! I don't find anything of interest in this blend, but you can do worse: at least it's not goopy and if you like the genre it's an OK tobacco to smoke when surrounded by non-smokers, due to its chocolatey smel

Greytata Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Greytata (9)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

It´s very difficult for me to review the tobacco with which I started pipe smoking, along with Mayflower(Original) ( I do not wether they have changed the original Mayflower mixture to Flying Dutchman ). Clan is for me, a very pleasant smoke, on the dry side, with a neutral taste and a delightful room aroma ( the preferred in the family house, probably because they've got so used to it, they can tell me, without knowing, whether I am smoking Clan or not, even if I smoke another "aromatic" mixture). It is not an easy tobacco to maintain lit but bowl after bowl, one gets the use to master it. Also its a tobacco to be smoked very slowly as it tends to over heat, but despite that, it's a great tobacco.

Nowadays, I do not smoke Clan regularly but have always a packet on hand to "remember" and....just in case I do not have anything more to amoke, as I consider Clan a "safe" choice. --- Interesting result: the more I try other tobaccos, the more I enjoy Clan, even if I smoke it on occasion. And probably because of that - being smoked on occasion and not regularly - I enjoy the taste, its character and unmistakable aroma. All in all its a great "classic" and it's available everywhere in Portugal. Again, a safe choice.

Eldrich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eldrich (7)
Medium Very Strong Medium Overwhelming

First of all, I'm a relatively inexperienced pipe smoker, I've been smoking pipes for less than a year, after a long time of cigarette & cigar smoking.

Secondly, the reason I chose this particular blend for my first review is that things can only get better after this abomination.

This stuff is absolutely horrible. Theodorus Niemeyer markets Clan as an "aromatic pipe tobacco". However, this actually is bad shag tobacco soaked in toxic waste. It leaves an awful, poisonous, chemical stench that sticks everywhere, on your hands, clothes, hair and it just won't leave the room. Thankfully I smoked this in an inexpensive MM corncob, because I shudder at the thought of bringing the pipe that had this stuff in it to my lips again. Of the dozen or so blends I've tried so far, this is the only one that I've thrown out after (barely) finishing a single bowlful of it.

To be fair, I've heard that this blend reacts particularly badly to age or poor storage. I've read comments to the effect that the chemical, medicine smell comes in only once this tobacco's become very stale. I suppose that's what happened to me. Nevertheless, Clan has been the most abysmal experience in my pipe smoking career, and I simply can't bear the idea of trying it again, fresh or stale.

ilDominante Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ilDominante (11)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

I think there is a big misconception about both Clan and Flying Dutchman. Both blends, in their pure and fresh state are very pleasant, especially if you prefer aromatic tobaccos. The problem is that recently bad batches of both pipeweeds ended up on the shelves of European tobacconists (these blends don't make it overseas in the US for conventions of some sort). Bad batches meaning that the tobaccos are dry like hay, and thus when smoked not only lose their fragrances and complexities, but often burn one's tongue. I just bought a pack of each in Venice, and rediscovered the old Clan and Flying Dutchman which I used to smoke about 10 years ago. The tobacco was moist as it is supposed to be and lent itself for a very pleasant smoke. Indeed one can enjoy the oriental notes that Niemeyer cites in the description of both weeds. The Cavendish is very evident. Those bad batches must have been mishandled or let dry on the shelves, for finally I have been able to taste again the true form of these tobaccos which are indeed very pleasant even to the discerning smoker.

Devonshire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Devonshire (47)

This is a Dutch pouch tobacco that is very difficult to find in the US, but fairly common in Europe. I've heard it called the European answer to Captain Black. I had sent from a friend in France. The UK pipe smoker's group recommends this for beginning pipe smokers, and while it is not a favourite of mine, I tend to agree. It has a rather "natural" taste to it, although a little sweet. I find it a little too reminiscent of cigarette tobacco for my taste. Also, as it is cut in very fine, long ribbons, it makes pipe packing difficult. One has to either stuff it into the bowl or tear apart the strands before loading the pipe. This is a bit of a nuisance.

Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Another traditional, readily available, easy to smoke mixture, with a very characteristic Dutch note despite the heavy but agreeable casing. Basically medium brown tobaccos, very fine cut in long thin ribbons (which if scissor-cut could actually be smoked in a cigarette), Clan is perhaps one of the most popular pipe tobaccos in Europe. You can find it almost anywhere, including airports and news stands. If not used to the Dutch processing techniques?which are similar to the French caporal taste (this one, believe it or not, does have some Oriental leaf varieties, probably from the Indonesian regions that were once Dutch colonies)?it may at first taste a little bit harsh. Because of the fine cut it may also produce a severe case of tongue bite. But once you get used to it, and master the skill of puffing slowly, it is a good alternative when stranded in unfamiliar places with no proper tobacconist nearby. It is not a goopy tobacco?in fact it is rather dry?and you have to take care not to overfill the bowl. It burns dry, and the sweetness of the casing, though present throughout the smoke, is not strong enough to obliterate the tobacco flavour underneath. Think of it as an aromatic version of the Flying Dutchman. All in all, not a bad smoke, along the lines of Gold Block and the Amphora range, but with a slightly sharper edge to it. The aroma, by the way, is one of the most appreciated qualities of this blend, and even non smokers seem to be enthusiastic about it.

______________________________

NB: I read the esteemed Pipestud's comment regarding the St. Bruno/Clan comparison. I am sure he must be right. I have only tired St. Bruno ready rubbed. It seems the flake version (just like in Erinmore) is less sweet and stronger.

Commons Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Commons (18)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

A friend of mine brought back this pouch of Clan tobacco from Spain as a gift for me. (It's blended in Holland, though.) The pouch describes it as "...cool and fragrant, mild in taste and slow burning ... containing no less than 14 different tobaccos from all over the world."

This is definitely a unique tobacco. The scent from the pouch was very natural (reminiscent of cigarette tobacco) but with a strong overlying medicinal smell like a sweet cough syrup. What really surprised me about this tobacco is the cut of very long, thin strands (shag?). Using this tobacco is like filling up your pipe with alfalfa: you don't trickle it in so much as stuff in tangled globs.

I was a little reluctant to fire up this blend because of the decidedly unpleasant smell. Much to my relief, however, it wasn't too bad. Although I could taste the faint sweetness that my nose had detected, it remained a fairly natural tobacco experience. Best of all, this thin stranded tobacco packs and burns surprisingly well.

In the end, however, I felt that although it's not a bad tobacco, it's not one that I would bother reaching for when there are others I enjoy far more. And there's something about the mediciny cloying character of the tobacco that unsettles me.

The Pale Horsreman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Pale Horsreman (1)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Ok , lots of negative reviews...But wait - do not dismiss this OTC (at least in the UK) classic! If you are looking for an all day smoke , that packs , lights and behaves (without being a one dimensional bore) then this is it. I like English blends, so appreciate the presence of Orientals / Turkish here. As for the 'aromatic' tag... A very light touch in my opinion. Clan Aromatic is not sickly sweet - far from it. Fourteen different tobaccos produce a cool ,complex (but not too challenging) smoke. Fantastic spicy (but cultured) Orientals - adding depth without dominating. Fresh from the pouch, 'quality, moisture, and cut' are right on the money...Talking of which , this is a couple of £'s cheaper than my usual 'Premium' (tinned) blends... An 'emergency' purchase to 'must have' in one fell swoop. Go on, join the Clan.

Pipe Used: Falcons

Purchased From: Supermarket

Similar Blends: Nothing else - its unique!.

oldcodger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldcodger (31)

Clan and I have not had a very pleasant relationship. I have smoked perhaps a dozen pouches of it in over 50 years with the pipe, in most instances the tries separated by several years.

Clan supposedly has 14 different tobaccos. Whatever the number, it seems to be everything except cigar leaf and latakia. The pouch aroma is rather nice, but a bit offbeat. The cut is a ribbon cavendish style. The room note while smoking is rather pleasant, but not as sweet as most aromatics.

Given the time lapses in my experiences with Clan I cannot be certain in comparing it now as with earlier incarnations, but in general my memory is that it used to be a bit stronger in both room note and flavor than it currently is, but the overall experience for me has not been drastically different.

The taste is hard to describe. I would venture caramel/butterscotch and almond with an underlying note of maybe sherry or cognac.

Having smoked a pipe for over half a century, I think I know how to do it. And, fortunately, I am not prone to bite from a tobacco so long as a restrained puffing cadence is used. That being said, every time I have tried Clan over the years it has been dry as tinder, fast to burn, and prone to bite like a constipated badger.

Nevertheless, I have not listed Clan as "not recommended." There are three reasons for this decision. One, the room note is not unpleasant, although it is different from most aromatics. Two, the taste is not at all bad, in my opinion not delicious but nothing to sneer about. Three, Clan has stood the test of time, surviving for many decades, which indicates that bitey or not that many folk do enjoy it.

thesmoggypipester Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thesmoggypipester (30)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I will admit that my prevous experience with clan was quite frankly.....shit. My aunt got me a pack from spain the cut was almost ryo style. My lack of cadence and heavy puffing meant tongue bite by the bucket.

But fast foreward over two years my brother brought me a pack back from his holidays and opening up the cut is thicker and the aroma is like latakia with sweetness. Packing is easy this time i pack tighter.

Smoking is quite pleasant it has a nice virginia taste with an aniseed liquor taste (think pernod). Room note to me is pleasant that sweet latakia like smokiness is a gorgeous room note.

So would i smoke this regularly..i wouldnt say i would smoke it exclusively but at propper moisture content and the thicker cut i would be happy to smoke it now and again.

I will say if you are not in anyway a fan of aros stay away from clan but if like me you enjoy aros and can smoke slowly you may just enjoy clan as a change of pace smoke just to have something different.

Maybe clan has changed if it has its for the better if not my skill has improved.

Either a way a nice smoke if you want something different Which i give 3 stars.

(P.s it might be thought im losing my mind but if i think a tobacco is good i will say if the masses dont agree... c'est la vie).

Update 15th july 2014.

I must add to this review ladies and gentlemen. If you happen look on youtube look up james fox tobacco and watch how the guy packs his pipe. Put some tobacco in you hand and put you pipe over the top rotate your pipe in little circles and the pipe fills itself then with the little bits left over put this on top and light. Doing this with clan it takes on the perfect burn is beautifully cool and the flavour is simply sublime.

Yes clan can burn hot amd bitter but using this packing method it does anything but. Infact id put this up as an excellent tobacco using this packing method. I still say though clan is an aquired taste but if it opens up the door to you and lets you in then it is a lovely smoke. Clan is best enjoyed in a small bowl and a narrowish chamber...a n alco or falcon bulldog does fantastic here.

Pipe Used: alco

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (71)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

Truly horrid stuff, i wont even claim to taste subtle notes of dried fruit or exotic liquers as all thats there is rubbish. The room note reminds me of a farmer's brush fire, the one you smell when driving through the country. The cut and quite frankly the taste is similar to Edward G Robinson blend, as bad as EGR is Clan is still worse. I wouldnt give a pouch of Clan and a book of rollers to a prisoner serving life if he was out of darts, and if i did im not convinced he'd smoke it.

Pipe Used: Bonnie Briar sandblasted Dublin

zofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zofo (2)
Very Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable to Strong

Don't buy this stuff! I made a terrible mistake when I purchased this while travelling around Spain. I have to say it appealed to me very much since it was rather cheap and I hadn't seen it in my country. The first bowl was pretty OK, but the later ones were just disasterous. It doesn't have any particular taste, because (as is proudly proclaimed on the covering) it is an insane mixture of everything the makers thought was tobacco! Not only it doesn't give you any pleasure as far as flavour is concerned, it's also burning and bursting like Eyjafjallajökull few years ago! I didn't finish the whole pack and I have to confess - that was for the first time! I even tried to snitch it to a friend of mine for rolling cigarettes, but even he, though I doubt he has any requirements for any tobacco, didn't want this hay.

Similar Blends: As far as I know - fortunately nothing is close!.

Zeus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zeus (3)

As my first experience of pipe tobacco some three months ago i feel I should mention this one for my first review. I must mention also my girlfriend so hated my stinking cigarette smoking she bought me a pipe and a pack of this for my 40th! I've not stopped thanking her though not necessarily for this tobacco in particular.

However, I think as a supermarket regular easy to buy smoke which weirdly smokes best in my least expensive pipe it has given me a good introduction to pipe smoking. I'm not going to try and wax lyrical regarding the tastes i get being just a beginner, though i find it smooth, sweet and easy smoking.

pdev Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pdev (10)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

My late Grandfathers tobacco so brings back a lot of memories i would love to smell the pouch when i went round to his house and this is what got me into pipe smoking.When i got my first pouch i was not keen the room note is great but the taste was not that nice but went back to it a few months later and now it find it ok .

Raines Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Raines (20)

The smoke is very sweet but can become disgusting.

TriCavaliers Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TriCavaliers (1)

I am new to pipe smoking but I like the taste that this tobacco gives and the room note is pleasant. I live in France and the price I pay is also very good. I know other reviewers don't like it but I would give it a try you maybe happy with it.

Mark Devall Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mark Devall (9)

Im new to pipe smoking, and the lack of bite is a positive, the flavour is mild with a nice tarry bottom to it which would go well with a good red wine.

Pretty moist in the bag I got from a Supermarket and burns quickly and easily.

Worth a try for a newby!

Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This isn't a real review, since I only had one bowl from a sealed yet very dried out pouch. I assume it was older, yet not classic. I reconstituted it a bit. I did conclude that I won't be buying any. There are just too many tobaccos in the blend that just seemed thrown together, it was boring (though not so spoiled that I couldn't tell what a newer pouch would basically taste like), and after sniffing the jar a few times over the months and deciding that I just didn't want to relive the experience of that one bowl, threw it out, something I rarely do. Since this was never sold in a tin, I can never really hope to try a well-aged classic sample, so I will have to take certain of the old hand's assertions on faith that this was at one time a decent smoke.

macpuffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
macpuffer (17)
Extremely Mild Medium to Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Bought a pouch of this after smoking a lot of it nearly 30 years ago......will not be buying it again....in one word "awful".......a very poor imitation of what was once a very good tobacco.

The Antihero Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Antihero (8)
Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I rarely give pipe tobacco such low ratings, but Clan has made a bench mark. I bought a pouch on the whim of trying to save some money for the particular month I bought it.

This was a very important time for me, because I have always been a tin-only man.

What a big mistake I made when I chose to go against my principles.I should have stuck to my guns and my years of experience that tried so hard to speak to me.

There is nice faint smell from the pouch, but the contents of the tobacco is flat and unimpressive. The room note was not very bad, but also not very good.

If you asked my opinion on the matter, I would say not to go after this brand. You'd thank me later.

TEO Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TEO (25)

I rate this stuff "somewhat recommended" for 2 basic reasons:

- it is known as the roughest and "pop" tobacco of all the "historic" ones on italian market... -my beloved grandpa, now gone, use to smoke tons of this when i was a kid and its room note makes me think of those times....

After all I can't really understand what kinda floreal-candylike flavour they may have used to case this but it's weird...I can't taste any perique in it but I do taste some smokey flavour maybe cause of kentucky.

Weird. weird, weird but I smoked worse ones. That peasant tavern room note, I just can't forget...

?pe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
?pe (41)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Any local British supermarket will sell you 25g of this stuff.

After feeding long straggely ribbons into your pipe, you'll be rewarded with a bizarrely perfumed aroma.

Anyone close to you will comment on the lovely smell, but you won't hear them as you'll be too busy trying to work out what the hell you've just put in your pipe. You could almost believe this was developed in an organic chemistry lab staffed by non-smokers who'd looked up pipe tobacco on wikipedia.

I find myself buying it on occassion just to remind myself why I don't buy it.

On every rational measure this should be a one star.

But I guess the British eccentric pipe smoking uncle character is a market segment too, and I'm giving this an extra star to reward Theodorus Niemeyer for considering them.

bish777 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bish777 (4)
Very Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Smells wonderful in the pouch, but in the pipe is is overly hot smoking and tasteless. Looks like ryo ciggy tobacco.

Raffles Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Raffles (11)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The Europe-wide availablity and apparent popularity of this one never ceases to amaze me because it is so often reviled. I wonder if this is so because so many new pipe smokers scorched their mouths on it, even if they did not instantly give up the pipe they still look back on it with horror. Despite its mild strength, I would not recommend it to beginners. So then, if you don't start with an aversion to aromatics, I suspect the degree to which it bites you largely determines your reaction.

I keep a diminishing 100g in a jar which I visit once or twice a year for nostalgic reasons. I know this is not a great tobacco, and as I approach 60 I think it unlikely I'll ever buy it again, but carefully sipped in a filter pipe it usually renders me a pleasant experience.

JulesHolling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JulesHolling (1)
Mild Mild Very Mild Tolerable to Strong

First tobacco i tried and it nearly put me off pipes. I thought there must be something more to pipes than this so i tried some other tobaccos and boy am i glad i did!

The taste is very mild with hardly anything there at all. it smoked very hot and very quick. Closest thing to cigarette tobacco on the market, not great in a pipe. Avoid and get something decent instead.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Mild Strong Mild Pleasant

Not for me, one of the first blends I ever smoked...hot, soapy and no decent taste, I blended with some sweet killarney to finish it.

Valns Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Valns (3)
Medium to Strong Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

My opinion on this tobacco is this:

Well it burs easily, you can smoke full bowl without leaving any tobacco left easily. But be warned, smoke it calmly and you will get only small and somewhat enjoyable tongue bitting, but if you'll smoke "hardly" it will bite your tongue. I actually didn't found any kind of flavoring in it, its just plain simple tobacco, you may taste it like a cigarette. It is strong by the way by nicotine level.

My personal rating would be 6 from 10 (but ONLY as non-aromatic kind of tobacco).

Northern Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Northern Pipe (5)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

This is a very good 'staple blend' in my books. It has a fairly pleasant taste, it burns nice and cool and most importantly, it's one of the most easily obtainable.

Lanreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lanreath (2)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Recommended for those who prefer a very mild tasting tobacco blend. The smoking qualities are excellent in that it burns easy, even, and dry. I found it to be a cool smoke.

Because I enjoy cigars I want my pipe tobacco to have flavor. This would have been a good blend for me if it had much more flavor.

bayro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bayro (18)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I have to agree with a yankee! Everybody, but everybody I know friends who use the name "Clan" as a synonym for bad tobacco. I no understand how it can be recommended to beginners as "the first tobacco", when the finely sliced, bite the tongue. I know many who just "Clan" refused by smoking a pipe!

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)

A very long and thin cut.

The pouch aroma is very similar to Sail Green.

The comparison with Sail stops here. The taste is bland because of the shag cut.

And the nicotine level is zero.

mr_beard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mr_beard (3)

Burns very hot and doesn't have very much flavour. There's a pretty high chance of getting tongue bite if you're not careful. I got a few relatively enjoyable bowls out of it, but I certainly wouldn't purchase it a second time.

New pipe smokers- I don't recommend going down this route; even if you're starting with aromatics, better things are available.

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)

Very light coloured ribbon cut tobacco.

I loved the smell of this 20 years ago..............when other people smoked it.

I tried it....and....well........err. It was like smoking rancid toxic waste sediment. It absolutely lashed my tongue as if it were beating a ginger stepchild at the gates of hell..

Cheap, rank, crap... Couldn't smoke for a week after trying this due to the bite symptoms..

The money you'd spend on this would probably smoke and taste better if you shredded a few of the bank notes and put them in your pipe instead.

yankee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
yankee (12)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

with all pipe smokers i know, the name "Clan" stands for any pipe tobacco that is awful and unsmokable... many potential new pipesmokers are quit of pipe smoking before they even start,because they first pipe tobacco was famous??!? Clan..:( with so many tobaccos on the market this one is really a waste of money.

muntajab Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
muntajab (11)

I changed my mind; I figured out i was trying to convince myself that Clan TN is good (because no good brand in Syria is available anymore; we pipe smokers are suffering the lack of a decent pipe tobacco here). After few bowls of clan the only good thing I could find about it is that it is dry in the bowl (but not in the mouth) and develops a cake fast. Its smell when you first open the pouch might appeal to you, but not the experience of smoking it. My advice is: you can judge the quality of tobacco from the first few bowls you smoke; the first bowl can be deceptive; like a bad tobacco might appeal to you at the first bowl, while a really good tobacco might taste bad or strange at the first two or three bowls. So, give it the chance of smoking five bowls through three days, if it did not appeal to you then it won't appeal to you later; this is my own experience; no matter how i tried to give it the last chance it won't taste better.

Kathos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kathos (5)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I can't decide if I like this traditional tobacco or not. I do however seem to fire up a bowl once a week or so, maybe for the same reason people go to McDonald's though they know it's gonna leave them with a flat feeling afterwards.

The tobacco's smell is downright off putting as it comes out of the pouch. Once the bowl is lit the subtle aroma does however bring some joy, though after just a few minutes it smokes very hot and tongue bite is imminent if one is not careful. This is a tobacco one must take time smoking, let it cool and light it often.

I have never gotten positive feedback on the room note after smoking this tobacco.

Having said all this, I do believe one should try it at least once. Been there, smoked that, got the tongue bite.

Watson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Watson (20)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Although this blend is the reason I started smoking the pipe (because my dad used to smoke it when I was a child and I have several memories from its aroma), I can say that Clan is a "flat" tobacco that gives nothing special... Has a characteristic aroma (I can say unique) but nothing more. It gives a strange taste also. I would not recommend this one to the aromatics smoker...

DEN-C1956 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DEN-C1956 (26)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

the old pouch of 'clan'....i have bought sack loads of this pipe tobacco over the years gone past,and its always been the same.....burns hot...and tongue bite...and lots of it....even if you smoke it slowly...the tongue bit gets you every time,but...to be fair..its a nice pipe tobacco...nice aroma...nice room note...but hard going on the burning hot and tongue bite...i would say its aimed at the younger pipe smoker,now that im an older pipe smoker i very much doubt i will buy it again,i have discovered 'squadron leader'..and im more than happy with SL...the only other over the counter pipe tobacco that i will buy is 'condor'...but please do try it..the 'clan' i mean,people can give other people all the reviews they like..its up to you if you take the advice or not..worth trying...but mind that tongue bite..;-).....27-03-14 i feel i had to add to my first review...as humans we all make mistakes..and im no different..i foolishly bought another 25g pouch of clan..now the last time i bought this stuff was back in the 1980s..but i bought another pouch a couple of days ago..well..clan has changed..i will repeat that..clan has changed...but not for the better..the pouch has changed, the aroma of the tobacco has changed..its not the same aroma as from the 1980s...smells of nothing to me...upon lighting the pipe i noticed that the tongue bite is a little reduced...but my god..the tobacco is far worse than ever...its so bland..and tastes of..nothing..the room note is unnoticeable..im lucky in as much that i only bought a 25g pouch..please dear reader...spend your cash on something else..this tobacco is dreadful..far worse than i remember it from back in the 1980s..i will never ever buy this tobacco again..i dont know what came over me to buy it again..maybe i wanted to see if over time it had changed for the better..sadly its not..its worse...the sooner this is removed from sale the better.

PIPER1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PIPER1 (2)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

As a new smoker of the pipe this is only the second pouch of tobacco I have purchased. The fist was Condor original. I will be going back to Condor as soon as this is finished. I experienced very little tongue burning with the Condor if any at all. This stuff is dry and burns the end of the tongue first light.

The Full English Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Full English (31)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant

I was hoping to dispel my negative preconceptions regarding mass-market pipe tobaccos and their suffering from a drop in quality and flavour. Unfortunately, my experience hasn't particularly alleviated that. I found Clan to be akin to a decent ale that has suffered at the hands of commercialization.

The tobacco looks and feels a lot like Troost. Although the pouch aroma entices with some nice vanilla notes and the promise that this isn't a heavily cased product, the tobacco is a lot dryer and smokes hotter and faster. Neither is the taste and room note in the same league; Indeed, Clan smokes pretty flat and tastes rather earthy at best. In summary, it's very much like smoking a cigarette, without benefiting from any of the 'kick' associated with it.

If you like a lighter, all-day smoke, then this may tickle your fancy, but if your looking for a flavorsome aromatic, or a true tobacco taste, then it falls woefully short on both counts. I'll most likely be using this as a base to smooth out stronger tobaccos that I have - and nothing more.

Cheap it is, but your money is still better spent on something else.

viscfab Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
viscfab (81)
Medium Mild Very Mild Tolerable

How can someone sell a bad tobacco like this... BAT used to produce and now dscontinued all Dunhill blends, which had some superstars like 965, Early Morning Pipe and Elyzabethan Mixture. Then they bought the right to prodiuce CLAN and have commited a huge disfavor to the world. The stuff in the pouch is so miserably ordinary that I cannot find enough words to describe it. Burns fast, hot, a cigarette like feeling to it and very bland aroma... Run from this mediocre mass conceived weed.

Komashoota Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Komashoota (6)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I purchased it only to try it, based on a recommendation made by a tobacconist in my area, and I should say the first few times I smoked it, I couldn't understand why I had bought it. I didn't finish the pouch, as I couldn't take it... I gave it to one of my friends to smoke, but he didn't like it either.

Bo-Erland Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bo-Erland (2)
Strong Medium Medium Tolerable to Strong

This tobacco used to be quite decent, with a taste of hot fudge and figs and was very sweet and well tasting and well smelling in the past. Nowadays this taste and smell is completely gone, together with it's old manufacturer Theodorus Niemeyer (nowadays the Clan brand belongs to British-American Tobacco Company and is blended by Orlik in Denmark). It burns your tongue and burns quite hot if you dare to put in in your pipe. I've now tried two bowls of this junk and I wish I hadn't bought the stuff at all. I can't recommend it at all, I'm afraid!

Vambo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Vambo (2)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Just bought this as i wait on my Cube tabacco from my local shop. (50 miles away). I wish i had not wasted my money. i suppose each to their own. Thats all i have to say on this tabacco

MAXYSDAD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MAXYSDAD (9)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Tolerable

After a decade tried it again , ended up sucking an ice cube to treat the mouth burn , if you have no choice also an asbestos tongue , give it a whirl , thats, if you have money to burn --merry xmas good gentlemen ps.. if you,r that desperate ,ask ,I have some better stuff in the cellar - will send on --cheers

ithomka Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ithomka (8)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Very good tobacco blend for the lovers of non-aromatic tobbacos. 14 different tobaccos with a little aromatic undertones, specifically sensible tastes of tobaccos. Cut: tipically dutch. Easy to fill. One of my favourites.

flaminbill' Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flaminbill' (57)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

I bought a few pouches of this while in Ireland a couple of years ago and I just don't think it is as bad as some reviewers say. It does have a tendency to bit, but the flavor is not bad.

I do like the moisture level and the way it packs. It does make a good blender. I have used perique and latakia at times in different blends with good results.

They seem to peddle a lot of this in Europe.

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

Very nice aroma. Somehow reminiscent of Sail green, put a bit sweeter.

Very hard to find now, in Canada, and it comes in a 25 gr pouch - very handy and convenient, doesn't take much room in your pocket. It shows a Scottish tartan on the pouch.

A very long, very thin cut bakkie, about 7-8 " in length.

Fills easy and, because of the thinness of the weed, doesn't give a particular satisfaction while you're smoking it. But it's easy to smoke.

An ideal bakkie for a beginner or someone who likes a mild, lightly cased tobacco.

Holy Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Holy Smoke (26)

As dry as a desert and as pungent as a harem.

For the life of me I've never been able to figure out, how the manufactures have been able to ensure that every pouch they produced since the late 90's is bone dry and unsmokable. Sadly you have to go through a routine as arduous as opening an ancient port, with none of the reward, to smoke this weed.

It burns, it tastes of rough chemicals and it is always bone dry in the pouch. This was a tolerable tobacco for beginners less then ten years ago. Now, it is truly awful.

PipePaladin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePaladin (78)
Mild Mild Medium Tolerable

My godfather used to smoke this almost 20 years ago and it used to smell great! Now, having trying it myself I can tell you one thing: Do buy one, do smoke it once, go and buy anything else and never return to Clan again.. Cheap smoke, cheap tobaccos.. There are much much better stuff out there waiting for your palate to discover..

ex20adayman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ex20adayman (30)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

This tobacco was my first pipe smoke. It's readily available in the UK and 25 years ago I knew a bloke who used to smoke it and thought it smelled good. I bought it before I discovered this website - good job as it doesn't fare very well on here!

Smells great in the pouch - very spicy. Packs well and easily. Taste wise it's OK, not as nice as in the pouch but it grows on you in my opinion. Great room note. It's pretty easy to smoke but will bite if you puff hard. It's no way near as bad as others have made out in my book. I've finished the pouch I bought and will definitely get some more when I start to run down my other brands.

I broke in my first two pipes on this stuff and they taste great to me!

Recommended, but an acquired taste.

DrY11 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrY11 (39)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I do not know what to do with this tobacco. Taste-wise, and Aroma-wise this is different from the majority of other tobaccos. In terms of room note, I tend to prefer it in situations where I want to avoid any discussions about smoking. Somehow, it finds a way to be discrete... The problem is that, as others also say, you have to consume it while it is still fresh and moist. So you cannot really just be carrying a pouch with you. Once you open it, you have to use it up. In terms of smoking, it lights up quite well and smokes evenly. But, unless you puff really slow, it will burn quite hot. Still, when I have to pick something from the limited selection of the nearby news stand, I will probably go for it. I prefer it to Skandinavik Aromatic.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)

Clan is sweet smelling rocket fuel. The second star is because of nostalgia for the years that will not return.

Toe Bacco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Toe Bacco (3)

Clan...good ideas? Maybe, the Clan bring the sunshine of bottom of morning shoe light. Clan, think happy? think sad? I think, therefore Clan is.

Clan be with you? Clan smoke you? Then you try CLan, right? I give Clan, good Clan. Good Clan be praised, bad Clan be shunned. Shunned?

Wife Rating: Wife shun Clan? Wife no like Clan dead tree like smoke esquness. Dead tree people, resembles? Yes... you must open your eyes and understand. The magic of Clan. Magic? It is a deep magic?

Clan bring tidings of dead tree people of ashlands. We talking taste. It dances on the tongue like an old man with no eyes and shoe boxes for gloves. That is uncouth, and so is Clan.

May Giebbelhouse smite thine enemies to Giebbels n Bits.

Cheers, Toe Bacco

Lancelot Gobbo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lancelot Gobbo (23)
Very Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

Oh dear. A bit of history: my first smokes were with some borrowed St Bruno and Condor. When I bought a real pipe (instead of the homemade job I had used till then) I bought a Peterson Lightweight and a pouch of Clan. It smells lovely in the pouch, and it smells lovely in terms of room aroma. But to the smoker it's hot and hellish, and always makes your tongue sore. Who is it that buys so much of this stuff that it can always be found on European tobacconists' shelves, no matter how far from civilisation they be? I soon moved on to Amphora Red, Holland House (RIP) and then away from aromatics. I can't recommend this except as an experiment in experiencing how bad a tobacco can be, and yet sell so widely!

Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

You just have to smoke this one at least once in your life, to pay your toll as a pipesmoker! :) But then you can easily stop and smoke something else! It gives its best in the room note field, but air-purifiers are cheaper. It is tasteless and can easily burn your tongue if you don't pay enough attention.

Air Commodore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Air Commodore (8)

This is not as it was. It is far less aromatic than when I started on it in my youth but has a similar taste. A new version clan malt whiskey is now available which is very good indeed.

poupehan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
poupehan (23)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Strong

Ok. I started reviewing the blends I like the most. Is there a blend that I realy don?t like. Yes. Clan. These pouches are ubiquitous, so I suppose a lot of people must like this. This is one of the reasons I kept coming back to it, the blend must have some quality. Well, I haven?t been able to find why it is so popular. So this is a fine ribbon cut, a bit like shag ? over here people say ?dryed pubic hair? ;-) . Chemical smell in the pouch ? chemical room note. Ok, the taste isn?t so bad. Tobacco and liccorice, IMO. But in all those smokes, I have never found a way to get it to behave, which makes that I never had a nice relaxing smoke with this, which is the entire point for me of smoking pipes, so if it misses that point, well I can?t find it very good?

pocket Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pocket (27)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Strong

Another tabocco from my homeland that is awfull. After smoking three pipes of it, I could not drink cola any more because of the tongue-bite. I threw the halffull pouche away and will not smoke this any more.

It seems I am a true lover of only English blends. Pity that not all British are availabale here!

pipesmoker1979 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipesmoker1979 (4)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I started my pipe smoking days with clan and still keep a pouche full of it as I think it gives thet new pipe that you are breaking in a good carbon layer. It also gives a plesent smell to a pipe when it needs a "proper cleaning". I ussually ream my pipe then let it soak for 24 hours in whiskey or rum then smoke 4-5 bowls of clan.

uponthehill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
uponthehill (8)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

Never smoked a tobacco which burns so badly. Shit tobacco, don't buy it!

Flatcap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flatcap (7)
Mild Medium Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

As Captain Black is in the US so Clan is in Europe I guess, a readily available 'drugstore' brand. My pouch was given to me by the mother-in-law, which should have made me suspicious I suppose. I found it very dry straight from the pack, with a very sweet aroma.

As to the smoke I found it disappointing. I was prepared for a full on 'flavour-attack' as per previous reviews but found it bland and uninspiring to the taste. Like many aromatics Clan seems to have a reputation for creating an amiable room note, but my female 'guinea-pig' found its aroma sickly sweet and not as enjoyable as my usual latakia favourites.

I don't want to put a downer on aromatics as a whole, but I always get the feeling as a pipe smoker you are encouraged to try them for the benefit of the non-smoker. Goodness knows it's a rare aromatic which actually gives you a flavour or taste comparable to the aroma it produces for those around you. Give me an English blend anytime, something with some real taste.

Still, I?ll hang onto my pouch of Clan just in case. But I don't think I'll be going for a repeat prescription of this particular 'medicine'.