A unique combination of Malawi mature Burley Malawi ripe flue-cured Virginia blended with Danish dark Cavendish. Then hand-blended with original sun-cured Mexican vanilla, famous for its fine, sweet, taste.

BrandDavidoff

2.7
Rm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rm (1)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Mild to moderate flavor with an average smoking pleasure. Vanilla aroma is almost unnoticable. However, an over-the-average sample of black cavendish. One might carry a pack in his bag.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum

Stefanos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stefanos (132)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

I like Lakelands and scented tobaccos and I also dip, albeit infrequently, in a Danish blend, but generally I regard full-fledged aromatics with trepidation. I would never have bought these new Davidoff products to start with, but I was kindly given a generous sample of each and I did smoke them.

They all smelled exuberantly, Malawi smelled of butterscotch, Brazil of tropical fruit and Argentina like a sweet Christmas pastry.

They all seemed to need some drying time and I obliged without letting them dry out completely. All took to light easily and burned well, fairly dry and cool, without need of relights. None produced any tongue bite to me and all smoked well to the end without becoming harsh or moistening the pipe excessively. So these blends do not seem to consist of inferior tobaccos heavily cased to mask the dullness or harshness of the tobacco, on the contrary these are extremely well crafted aromatics.

Now as far as flavor is concerned I got what I smelled from all three. With Malawi in particular the flavor of butterscotch with a pinch of salt (I do not get vanilla) is very close to the real thing. And I could still taste some tobacco, Cavendish. So Malawi is rounder and less zingy than Brazil but with less tobacco taste.

I also tried it completely dry (still burned cool and did not become harsh) and I actually preferred it that way. The only problem for me is that the taste is not only exuberant, some Lakelands are also exuberant, but that the taste of the casing is a little bit artificial and I think I prefer tobaccos more naturally aromatized. I do not think I would ever buy these tobaccos, but since taste is subjective and quality-wise these blends seem to me to be very good for what they are –i.e. full-fledged aromatics, I will give them three stars. Were I more experienced with true aromatics I might have judged them differently, so take my review with a pinch of salt. Actually for their category they might very possibly merit four stars…

Extremely Mild Strong Very Mild Very Pleasant

Davidoff - Malawi Dark Cavendish.

You can call me pedantic, but to me the name Dark Cavendish is indicative of a blend that's dark, or black in colour. So when I opened the pouch to be met by a 50/50 split between black and golden brown ribbons I felt cheated!! Okay, that's way over the top, to call the name a slight misnomer would be a lot more apt!

It's a good smoke though, not exactly my cup of tea, but worth a recommendation nevertheless. The vanilla gives a fairly strong, and sweet flavour, masking the tobaccos somewhat. Of the tobaccos', it's the black Cavendish that gives the biggest flavour, it takes until I'm well into a pipe to get any of the Burley. Towards the end of a bowl the vanilla takes a big leap in strength, and again resumes its stance as the lead taste. I'd expect a heavy aromatic to bite hard but this one doesn't, and the smoke's cool.

The nicotine's VERY mild, and the room-note's brilliant.

The only real negative is the price: £14.99. That's a touch high.

Three stars.