Pipe tobacco aged by special process. Century - Cyprus latakia, Oriental and flue cure tobacco with rum and wine cellared to age.

BrandJ. F. Germain & Son
Blended ByJ. F. Germain & Son
Manufactured ByJ. F. Germain & Son
FlavoringAlcohol / Liquor, Rum
Strength
Taste

I am trying very hard to refrain from reviewing tobaccos. Since I sell pipe tobacco on my private website, I actually think it is a conflict of interest, but after seeing the lone review of this blend by McQueen, I just had to respond because my impression is totally opposite. I absolutely loved this smoky sweet compilation of exceptional Cyprian Latakia, spicy and mild Orientals and flue cured Virginia leaf that has that famous and delightful Germain special processing. It was smooth, refined and especially unique with the bit of rum added to the presentation. Bite? Hardly! Typical of all Germain tobaccos, this one baby oiled the palate rather than set fire to it! Delightful weed in every sense. Similar to St. Ives, not hardly. Both have some Latakia in it but the extract in St. Ives is like apple/plum where this one is definitely rum and the Latakia is much stronger in its presence.

McQueen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
McQueen (25)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is an outstanding sleeper tobacco from JF Germains. It has some kind of a rum casing that is somewhat light. The orientals and Latakia blend together well, and I think a few years of age on my tin have made it that much better. As always with the Germain, the leaf is high quality, and you can tell it’s pre aged before it even went into the tin.

This is one of those Germain Blends that that only release every few years. If you can find a tin of this, cellar it for a few years then enjoy.

Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Weird brown-ish gray small ribbons with an alcohol and latakia scent in the tin. Purchased a couple of years ago, perhaps before I knew that I don't much care for latakia/alcohol tobaccos! So don't lend much credence to my 2 star review, as it's a personal shortcoming that may not be yours. I smoked about half the tin and gave the other half away.

Stranger still the taste! I liked what the orientals brought to the table, which was a sweet-sour flavor with the usual incense quality. It kept this one from being too much "smoke and wood with booze" on the palate. Quite a bit of latakia in this one, it seemed, and the alcohol (rum?) topping was a bit too sweet for my taste buds. I really didn't get a handle on what the Virginias were doing, as the lat/booze was too overpowering. The sad fact of the matter is I gave up on this one. I liked the concept but it's just not for me. Again, if you've enjoyed latakia and alcohol tobaccos in the past, give this one a spin. The ones I've tried either didn't contain orientals or the varietals were different, as I liked this one more than most.