Deep brown Burleys, broad cut Virginias, black Cavendish, and matured navy flake with top notes of prune, marzipan, and vanilla.

BrandErik Stokkebye
Blended ByErik Stokkebye
FlavoringOther / Misc, Vanilla
CutMixture
Packaging3.5oz Tin
Strength
Very Mild, Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium to Strong
Taste
Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium, Medium to Full
3.8
Liam Tyr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Liam Tyr (17)

Another extraordinary achievement from 4th Gen Tobacco.

I think it should be understood from the start that I do like most of the blends from this company. I smoke 1957 and 1897 daily. I love Virginias, burley, aromatics and flakes.

Tin Notes - When I opened it I got a faceful of wonderful scents, there was vanilla, fruit, Christmas candy, maybe marzipan, and a bit of spice (nutmeg or light cinnamon). It was wonderful, i just took a few moments to really enjoy it. It was not overpowering or jarring, just a gentle pleasant aroma. It comes in a fairly attractive and large rectangular tin, wherein it is bagged up. This is similar to W.O. Larsen 1864 only wider. The tin is hinged on the side and will make a nice box for something later. Bonus! The presentation is excellent.

Handling the tobacco (Loading the pipe) - The Virginias were the first thing I saw when I dug into the bag, they are cut very broadly and have a silky texture. Just your eyes could tell you this is high-quality tobacco blended from the best ingredients. It loaded very nicely and the bits of Navy Flake and cavendish were pliable and perfectly moist. Not too wet, and not too dry, there was no gooey, dripping sauce on top, even though this is an aromatic blend with a topping. There was no greasy feel to it, and my fingers were clean even when i rubbed the tobacco together gently on my palm. It loaded easily into my pipe and expanded only slightly. There was no issue with packing or crumbly mess.

Smoking - Charring light expanded the tobacco slightly but a quick tamp brought it under control, and the flavor was slightly sweet with a nice tobacco taste. The next light was heaven, I was rewarded with a large plume of tasty smoke laced with marzipan, spices, and some Virginia tang. I burned very quietly and didn't seem to ever overheat and cause tongue burn. Of course, you wouldn't really expect that from a quality Virginia without really trying. What I found a quarter of the way through the bowl was a complicated, well thought out, Danish aromatic. Very special in its own right, and different from pretty much everything else. There were pockets of chestnut flavored burley and navy flake that popped up and the cavendish added that sweet flavor around the middle of the bowl. That's when things got more interesting. Midway through the bowl, I must have stoved the lower tobaccos nicely and I was rewarded with what reminded me a bit of McClellands Holiday spirit. There was spice and vanilla and heaps sweet Virginias. It was incredibly tasty. As I got to the bottom of the bowl, everything seemed to slow down to a gentle tobacco flavor with mild vanilla sweetness before going down to a nice fine ash. It was a great experience.

Conclusion: The 4th Generation Family Reserve is incredible. A wonderful and flavorful experience. A very high quality, well behaved tobacco with a lot of character. To date, I have enjoyed about 50 grams of it and it is slightly different every time. I am going to order more of it to enjoy and keep some to mellow in my cellar. They are expensive, and to my knowledge are not sold in anything other than tins. Is it a good deal, compared to other tobaccos? I have no idea, and I don't care to speculate. It's a tin of tobacco, not a mortgage rate or a car comparison. Go grab a tin from your local tobacconist and I am sure you will enjoy it.

-=Liam

Pipe Used: Tom Eltang Bent Dublin

Purchased From: Mission Pipe, San Jose, Ca, USA. http://www.missionpipe.com

Similar Blends: Erik Stokkebye - 4th Generation 1897.

moniker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
moniker (95)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

Though the nice metal box and the clear plastic bag inside it are both sent out unsealed, yet the 4th Generation Family Reserve tobacco in the bag is moist and perfect for smoking, right from the tin. The mixture is quite chunky, including some broken flake, with colors ranging from light to medium and dark browns, also some black chunks. The scent from a fresh tin is like a deluxe, fruity, golden cake, with the fragrant tobaccos scents rising along with restrained prunes, almond extract, vanilla, citrus, and faint cocoa and sweet spirits, all of it, appearance and scents, redolent with smooth, silky, luxury. The tobacco handles, loads, lights and smokes with minimal effort. I like to gravity load it, tamp it gently, and smoke it slowly in a large pipe and just cruise and let the impression of luxury continue. The VAs are cool burning and mostly meadow grassy, and they somehow conjoin with the golden cake aspect of this blend. There also seems to be some sweet, air-cured brown VA that adds some musky, lower notes. The Burleys are rich, mildly earthy, and nutty/buttery, along with some bitterness that I find refreshing. The Cav thickens the smoke, and it does a good job of melding the mixture and delivering the toppings, along with its own sweet/sour effect. Something I really like about this blend is the way the smoke is at once sweet, sour, dry and “creamy”, also bracing, with a nice mouth feel, if it’s kept cool. The topping holds true to the tin note, top to bottom, though the tobaccos are forward, once the contents have rested a while. Strength is mild. Tastes are medium. Room note is nice. Aftertaste is a lingering best-of-the-smoke.

The key with aromatics is how well the “aromatic” components play with the tobaccos while they’re smoked, also how little one notices their residues. Erik Stokkebye’s 4th Generation Family Reserve is well balanced and understated, top quality, top to bottom, a satisfying, exemplary aromatic. 4GFR reminds me a lot of Peterson’s Special Reserve, Limited Edition 2015, though FR has less dark fruit. I plan to keep some 4GFR on hand (in jars!) from here on out, if possible. Four Stars.

Pipe Used: large briars preferred

Age When Smoked: fresh from an undated tin

Purchased From: Cup o' Joe's

Similar Blends: Peterson Special Reserve, Limited Edition 2015.

aztobaccosavant Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aztobaccosavant (10)
Very Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Interesting cut. Many combined textures and colors. Nose is more homogeneous then other reviewers note. But upon lighting the bowl explodes with many soft subtle flavors. Nice creamy smoke that stays cool. Easily candidate for daily rotation.

Side notE P&C SHIPPED ME THREE TINS. ONE WQS OPENED AND SHORT FILLED AS WELL AS IN AN IKEA ZIPLOCK. ITS USELESS. IT WAS RETURN D AND THEN RESOLD TO ME. UNSAFE TO SMOKE TAMPERED BACCY

Pipe Used: Bjarne, cob, meer, Horst Fleaglehoff

Age When Smoked: New in tin

Purchased From: P&C

Similar Blends: Finkeldork Tobqcco Shoppes Ye Olde Clodhopper.

BROBS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BROBS (32)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

A very nice, high quality tobacco to enjoy. However it is very strong to me compared to some other blends.. it's all in what you're used to. I went to my folks' house after smoking a pipe of this and my mom said I reeked terribly of smoke. Haven't had others say that about other aros I smoke. It has a good tobacco flavor but a little strong for me and I wouldn't call it an all day smoke. The toppings are nice and present but when smoking I get tobacco the most.

Pipe Used: Calabresi Sandblast, Missouri Meerschaums