A specialty from bright, red and dark Virginias. Roasted Virginias and refined with 12 [year old] Barbados Rum. Afterwards, pressed into cakes. A rounded and full flavour.

BrandMotzek

Wallenberg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wallenberg (10)
Medium Mild Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Micha's Cake.

Sometimes I just miss the point - but maybe I'm just right if I say this is like Dunhill Royal Yacht except it's the organically produced luxury version.

I do like both, but Micha's Cake just wins. Congratulations to Tom Darasz and his predecessor, Herbert Motzek!

Opening the pouch, I was amazed: it was everything I expected from a good Virginia mixture: vinegary, earthy like the countryside after a rainfall, plus there was this subtle background of the Barbados Rum (what brand it is, I don't know - but I definitely want to have a tumbler full of it every time I open the pouch).

Moisture right out of the packaging is rather high; I did have troubles with quickly lighting a pipe. Still, once you get it going, you will not mind the relights for the taste this tobacco will present to you.

Already I hinted at what the taste is like, and again - forgive my tastebuds, but this is like something between Dunhill Three Years Matured and Royal Yacht. But the difference is what makes this blend here shine: there is this ever-present sense of refinement and complexity. You'll immediately find out what the difference between some blend out of the tin you bought at your local tobacconist's and a pouch sent to you with a hearty handwritten "Danke und viele Grüße aus Kiel" ("Thank you and best wishes from Kiel") on the bill is - there is a way to taste whether you're an off-the-shelf customer or you're being treated as a person.

Don't mind my advocating this too much. But house blends do not only deserve my respect, sometimes they outright earn it.

One last consideration: do let this tobacco dry a bit before packing it into your pipe. As with all moist bowls you will get harshness that doesn't suit any tobacco at all.

Pipe Used: Princes, Billards, meerschaums, corn cobs

Age When Smoked: Fresh out of the puch

Purchased From: Tom Darasz (previously Herbert Motzek) at http://dein-tabak.de

Similar Blends: between Dunhill Three Years Matured and Dunhill Royal Yacht (two blends I like), but Micha's Cake trumps them!.

Stefanos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stefanos (134)
Mild Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This review tests my abilities as an (amateur) tobacco reviewer and will test your patience as a reader probably...

I explain: I ordered 100g grams of Micha’s Cake and I received a 100g pouch of a crumble cake stating “Black Gold”, which is the other crumble cake Motzek Tabak offers. But what was it I actually received, a misnamed Micha or the actual Black Gold? The first is a blend of bright, red and dark Virginias with an added 15 y.o. rum casing, the second is a blend consisting of Cavendishes with 40% Perique.

Now you would assume it is easy to distinguish between a rum cased blend of Virginias and a blend of Cavendishes with a 40% (!) addition of Perique. But for me it wasn’t… The pouch note had a note reminiscent of rum, but was it actually rum or rather notes of fermented Perique? As for Cavendish, it is a vague term, at least for me, as the blends I usually smoke do not contain any, and there’s English Cavendish, Danish Cavendish and American style Cavendish. Try to figure out…

To the sight the blend seems to indeed contain three types of leaf, bright, red and black, this combined with the fact that I tend to identify the pouch aroma as a rum casing rather than Perique leads me to the tentative conclusion that what I received was a misnamed Micha rather than Black Gold.

Smoking the blend, which is really interesting whatever it actually is, I sensed a (mild) peppery spiciness especially after the first half of the bowl. You would think that with 40% Perique the spiciness would be strong if not overwhelming and in anyway clear out the confusion, but alas, another reviewer writes about Black Gold: ‘I have to admit that I was very skeptical about the 40% Perique. My fear was that the tobacco would be very sharp and the delicious Perique taste would suffer. I don't know how you did it, but the tobacco is so friendly to the tongue not sharp at all except for the pepper note of Perique.’ So, according to the other reviewer, despite its huge Perique content, the tobacco is not an assault to the senses but only peppery. Where do I stand now?

In support of the Micha case is the presence of three kind of leaf, bright, red and black, the casing and to my judgment the spiciness is too mild to warrant a huge Perique presence despite the other reviewer’s comments. No conclusive verdict has been reached however. And moreover a Black Gold case could be supported upon the inconclusiveness of the above and the consideration of the further fact of the slow burning qualities of the blend. Here the Micha proponent could counter that its slow burning is due the fact that the blend is rather moist, which it is…

Moist it is, as I said, but I found that it smokes coolly in the condition it arrived. Easy to light and to keep lit, very cool indeed, very mild in both nicotine and strength and very flavorful. Needs no effort to sip - great also for inexperienced pipe smokers. Flavor-wise it is sweet like a Christmas pudding with chocolate, raisins and sweet spices with a sweetness that seems to come from both the tobacco and the casing. I have to stress that casing is very mild, it does not mask the tobacco taste at all. This is not an overtly aromatic/zed tobacco. I also sense a saline and sour note, as if it contained orientals which it does not… Actually to me it tastes like a slightly sweetnened Oriental blend sans Latakia. One reservation I have is that it needs some attention because due to the presence of different cuts it might burn unevenly. Also care must be taken not to stuff the tobacco too densely.

Recommended? Surely. It's an easy and flavorful tobacco that you don't have to think a lot about. I place my bets on it being Michas Cake and intend to find out definitely.

Purchased From: Dein-Tabak

DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (177)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Micha´s Cake is a brilliant blend and the first time I got to appreciate a straight VA blend!

Usually they were to mild and light for me, as I prefer Kentuckys and Perique, but this one has a diversity of refined flavours. The Cake has a appetizing appearence and is from golden bright to medium, a bit darker brown. The smell is pretty inconspicuous and rather mild, like almost all Motzek blends. Sweetish, a tad of freshly mown grass, citrusy.

Once crumbled apart you get fine ribbons of various colour tones. Packing, lighting and keeping lit is rather easy job.

The taste is superior and finally made me appreciate Virginias. All VAs I tried were a bit flat to me, but this one is so full of flavours, it's a pleasure! Deep earthiness, slightly sugary-sweet, then suddenly a tad of citrusy fresh and mown grass, beofre rich fermented fruits kickc in by times, this thing really has diversity! I LOVE IT! The rum just provides a slightly sweetish, citrusy-sour tone, that isn't alcoholic at all. Very tasty (real 12yo Barbaidos Rum is used). The roasted Virginias shine through nicely and add a roasted, almost fermented quality to the blend. Roasted leafs are damn delicious!

Rich in smoke and creamy texture. Satisfying nicotine level, even for me as I prefer stronger leafs. Not strong, but a good solid medium nic-level. A excellent blend, that makes me want to try more Virginias (especially the red VA impressed me).

4/4 for Micha´s Cake - love this blend, I only had a generous sample, but I'll get a cake of it with the next order! Top notch! EDIT: Ordered 100g right away, I need to get more of this...this is HEAVEN in tobacco form. Never thought Virginias could be that good!

Pipe Used: Clay Pipes, Various Briars