The best of the specially light and aromatic varieties from Tuscany and Umbria were selected for this Italian blend. The light yellow of excellent virgin grades harmonizes with the dark black cavendish and the Burley. Orange flavored topping makes for a mild, yet sweet blend.

Notes: The Original's Recife was from Italy, but now, is produced in Germany, by Planta Tabak.

BrandPlanta
Strength
Taste

2.7
Strong Strong Very Full Very Pleasant

I bought this while in Venice and I have to say that it is a very nice aromatic blend using an orange flavor that produces a very creamy rich orange flavored smoke that is very fragrant in room note and pleasing on the tongue. It is a great after dinner smoke, like having a brandy after a good dinner. It bought it in a roll up pack and upon opening the pack, I was presented with a rich orange aroma and a soft somewhat moist mixture of light to dark brown short ribbon cut tobacco. It claims on the package it is composed of different Virginias and Dark Cavendish tobaccos. With the orange flavoring one cannot really taste the subtle flavor of the Virginias but it does produce a cool, slow burning pleasant smoke. The room note is very fragrant and rich. It does take a few lights to get it lit, but once lit it burns down very nicely to the bottom of the bowl leaving very little dottle or moisture in the bottom of the pipe. This I find pleasing as most aromatics tend to leave a lot of moisture and dottle in the bottom, but not this one. While I could not make it an all day blend, I have really enjoyed this in the evening and night time. I find it full bodied and very rich in flavor and quite pleasing. I would highly recommend this blend for a taste of something different in the way of aromatics.

Pipe Used: Briars and Falcons

Age When Smoked: Right off the shelf

Purchased From: Tobacco shop in Venice

Similar Blends: I have not experience anything similar..

gourmet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gourmet (13)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

This is an excellent smoke for the upcoming pipesmoker, which would like to discover the smooth site of smoking without tonguebite and still offer the variety of good aromatic. This beautiful smoke deserves its own large bowl. As soon as its lit, the taste reminds me as if I was standing in the middlte of an orange field, with nice blossoms and ripe fruits. For me the taste is more refreshing than liqoury and never overwhelming. Later on a nice choclate taste comes out always fellowed by the the nice and ripe virginia taste.

As mentioned first this is simple summer smoke, very satisfying, anytime. Exceptional price / quality.

cigarcohiba Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cigarcohiba (22)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

Throughout the bowl, the pipe smoker shifts between several tastes Creme, woody, hayish at times. Overall, a pleasant, "rich" smoke.

Mac Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mac (19)

I am glad i tried this blend. A nice pleasant easy going smoke to enjoy without really concentrating on smoking it.

Vovinam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Vovinam (19)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I usually don't rate very high the aromatized tobaccos but this one is pretty good. Very good basics, italian virginia from Tuscany and Umbria, and a smooth black cavendish, and I suspect some kentucky mild (instead of burley indicated in the description above), because is also the most common type of tobacco plant produced in Italy. The aromatic essences are maybe too much strong for someone but I think that the basics aren't overhelmed. There's orange for sure and something like rhum or liqueur: the ensemble remembers me those hot alcoholic beverages like "punch" or something, so I consider this tobacco a winter time choice. Maybe 3 stars are a little too much, but why not? I think this can be a right aromatized choice for a beginner.

Type: Artificial aromatic full in taste, but mild in streght ; Contents: Virginia from Tuscany and Umbria, black cavendish (maybe Kentucky mild) ; Flavoring: Orange (& liqueur, something that remeber rhum) ; Cut: Loose / wild / coarse cut ; Humidity: Medium and persistent, tends to conserve the right level of humidity till the end of the pouch ; Lighting: Very easy and pretty fast burning, results in a "not tedious" smoking ; Pipe recommended: Really fine with all types.

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (163)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The Original recipe was from Italy, but now it is made in Germany, by Planta Tabak.

is a very good aromatic tobacco, mild, cool,not strong. Perfect for smokers that loves aromatics, and for the Pipe Smokers noobs, since it not causes Tongue Bite (as some Borkun Riff's and MacBaren's blends)

The overall quality merits 4 stars. Recommended.

Congratulations to Planta for this blend. Between the best full aromatics.

Re-Evaluation: This continue as one of my favorites. I noted in this, floral notes, together with the Orange Flavour and Taste.

Pipe Used: Many

Age When Smoked: recently purchased

Purchased From: TabacariaVirtual, Brazil

Tobacconists Aprentice Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tobacconists Aprentice (20)
Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I baught a pouch of this in Padova as I was unable to find any of my regular smoke (Sunday's Fantasy) and it was reccomended by the Tobacconist.

I loved the pouch-note. Rich orange and chocolate the nearest thing to a jaffa cake as I have smelt in a long time. The cut was rough and large. I thaught I had found the perfect substitute for Radfords, and it was cheaper too!

However,It did not smoke as well as it should and I was a little dissapointed. It filled well, and lit well, and smoked fairly cool. The rich tastes promised by the pouch-note were there, but very light, I would have expected more from the amount of casing. The light orange faided by mid bowl the chocolate notes lingered but very faint. The tobacco taste left was pleasing enough but nothing special.

The room note was very nice with lots of orange and light cream, its a shame it was not more present in the taste.

overall a fair to good light aromatic tobacco which is good value for money.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Very Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

A souvenir from my trip to Latvia. Many have mentioned this tobacco (basically “Peter” and “dimitris”). I tried it. The aroma is very intense. It burns very slowly because it is too coarse cut. Yellow Virginia and Black Cavendish. It causes tongue bite and burns the throat. I like it after a spicy meal. With the morning cup of coffee though, it can blow your throat in the air. Perfect room scent

Papa Koala Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Papa Koala (8)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I've let my initial impression (see below) stay. I have however decided to try this again and having done so decided that it is worthy, in my opinion, of upgrading to 3 stars (recommended). I have learnt to control the tongue bite by smoking this tobacco in a Peterson p-lip. Value for money, two thumbs up, a great pub tobacco but due to the after aroma of stale cigarettes not worthy of 4 stars for home use (not my wife's opinion but mine). This is good stuff. Give it a try.

Rather pleasant nose out of the jar and stayed lit, but, ohhhhh my bitten tongue. It felt like I was licking a briar patch. The room note was rather nice but the next morning the room smelt like I'd been smoking 'tailor made'cigarettes. Other people have had different experiences to me, from reading reviews some have, so I will rate it as 'somewhat recommended' as you may have a different experience when you try it.

Liviu33 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Liviu33 (3)
Very Mild Strong Full Very Pleasant

Excelenta alegere pentru iubitorii de aromatice. Unii spun ca e compot de fructe dar mie imi place. Un tutun usor si aromat perfect pentru zile fierbinti de vara.

PokerSmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PokerSmoker (4)

This blend came recommended from a fellow smoker who shares my passion for Winslow No 1. That's why I didn't hesitate to put this blend on top of my shopping list. After opening the 50g pouch I experienced a very pleasant & light odor. I was puzzled at first but then identified it as exactly the same smell as "orange jaffa cake" including the scent of the famous thin dark chocolate casing. My expectations were right up there when I fired up the first bowl. A light orangy test was present (but very distant) during the first 2-3 puffs and then suddenly disappeared. Stronger puffs resulted in just a heavier tobacco taste and a sore tongue. The tobacco taste is indeed very dominant and I wasn't able to detect the orange flavor during the rest of that bowl. It's not a bad tobacco, I would say medium quality with medium+ strength. But the aroma is just too faint imho to enjoy it as an aromatics lover. I will definitely finish this pouch but wouldn't buy it again. A classical 2 out of 4, ok but nothing special.

polaris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
polaris (9)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I will never smoke this thing again. Do not bother even to test it.

Steden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steden (84)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

A classic aromatic on the danish style, considered on this context Cellini is a delicious one both for the nose and the tongue. CCR has a fragrant casing, based on zing of orange and something caramel-creamy-nutty, which interplay very well with tobacco: it smokes cool, smooth, with a buttery mouth-feel very pleasant and (you know) so rare for an aromatic!

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

I smoked the pouch version.

A black and tan mixture that came at the right dryness level, making this cased tobacco smokeable.

Nothing to it, really, other than the awesome and unique orange casing and flavour.

This alone makes Cellini Classico Riversa worth the try if you can find some!

pipealicious Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipealicious (19)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

Got a sample from an Italian (who else) colleague. Light colored ribbons of Virginia and black Cavendish. Nice aroma of oranges, you immediately smell what you'll get: a mild virginia with fruity, orange peel. A nice alternative to the traditional, simple flavored vanilla aromatics.

Packs asily and smokes cool and dry. An uncomplicated and fresh tobacco.

Gigilos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gigilos (24)

This is very sweet tobacco, great for the new smoker which satisfies the needs for an all day aromatic. The tobacco's natural aromas do occasionally become detectable and the smoke does render a full body. I never seemed to trace any orange in the blend, only an generic licory-chocolaty sweetness.

DrY11 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrY11 (39)
Very Mild Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

UPDATE NOV15 2007 i did finish the pouch. People around me liked or tolerated the smell - at least while it was still fresh. But I totally disliked the smoke - it almost sickened me - particularly towards the second half of the bowl.

NEVER AGAIN!!!

INITIAL OCT31 2007 As I mentioned in my notes for Cellini Forte, this reminds me of some variety of Captain Black - just with somewhat coarser cut.

I do not like it and I have actually let it aside for about 4 months now (next to one Captain Black Gold which is standing there for the last 10 months). Well, guess what, they are both still quite humid...

I will try to finish the pouch. If anything changes in my estimate, I will just update...

BTW, the FORTE version is quite decent.

mo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mo (79)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Not too bad a blend, I got it as a 25g sample at my baccy, I still have about 17g left, its been about 4 months. I guess if one really likes cavendish it would be very enjoyable, its just that I am very much in a virginia phase of pipe smoking and nothing else does it for me. I do remember enjoying smoking it, i just did not have the time to return to it, but do not let my review put you off. Ill update when I have another few bowls. Mo, South Africa

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Nice little label, on the sober side.

The aroma is definitively orange, sweet orange, like a candy.

Nice, broad cut of golden, brown and black shades.

Very easy to light and maintain.

As per the average aromatic, not very satisfying in terms of nicotine kick or strength.

But if you like a nice good quality aromatic, this one is worth the try, because the orange casing is pretty cool, with no tongue bite attack.

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)
Medium Strong Overwhelming Tolerable

Typical candied garbage ala Europe. Italians should stick to pipe making, opera and pasta and stay out of tobacco blending altogether. European tobaccos of late have been getting from worse to horrid, and this is no exception. This reminds me very much of the WO Larsen 80, which is another hot shag of sweetened cigarette tobacco with anisette extracts and hot air. Don't waste your time.

Zero of five stars

Mild Very Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

In all fairness to this tobacco the following must be said: Europeans will like this and Americans will tolerate it. This is a very unusual tobacco . It reminds me a lot of a cross between Blue Note by Dann and Top Black Cherry by Gawith and Hoggarth. It is very dry and sweet. Not goopy or cloying but very "European Sweet" I picked it up in Vilnius, Lithuania recently for only about $5 American.Worth a shot for the adventurous who like Orange -Citrus type Aromatics. 3 European Aromatic stars or 2 American Aromatic stars. You decide.

Churchwarden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Churchwarden (4)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

You unfortunate friends who are heavy smokers of cigarettes and haven´t found a pipe tobacco to provide you with the same quantity of daily puffs, here´s the rub. Extremely good choice for a beginner with it´s soft aroma and gentle smoke without a tongue bite. Most aromatics I´ve tried have a nasty sting, but this is pure silk. Excellent choice for an evening in the pub, because it allows you to smoke your pipe as much as you like (which is inevitable when you enjoy more pints than one) and it has very good "wife rating". After a month, you´ll propably find this bit too mild for normal use and will seek for stronger pleasure. But a good little tobacco it is.

Mild Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

I stumbled upon this tobacco while training for a slow-smoking contest, since it was the tobacco to be used. I thought it would have been an agony (I'm a latakia-addicted), but I found it quite tolerable indeed. The orange flavouring isn't so overwhelming, you can still taste the tobaccos which are quite good, notably the virginias. The packing is easy if you have the wariness to rub the Virginia sheets, which come in the dimension of Alinghi's mainsail.

poupehan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
poupehan (23)

This is one my favorite aromatics of the moment. It caries the Italian flag and an Italian name. It is supposed to contain Italian tobacco, but I can?t tell the difference between this and the best Danish cavendishes (WO Larsen). This one has orange casing, which is not bad, but it quickly fades and the smoke becomes darker, more nutty/chocolatey. Very easy to smoke without tongue bite. A nice ?no problem? blend. Mild in strength, good room note.

Actually quite decent for an aromatic, not goopy or wet. The orange flavoring is quite delicate (though less tasty than the grape one used in Cellini Forte), and very tolerable... actually quite pleasant. The problem is that it vanishes way too soon even smoking slowly, leaving a bland and slightly bitter tobacco taste. Someone mixes this tobacco with cigar leaf or with some latakia EM (obtaining a blend that has some similarities with Ashton Type 2), with reportedly good results. I don't think I will become a fan of this tobacco, but it burns well and is quite honest in what it delivers. For the price, you can have far worse aromatic tobaccos.

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

Classico riservo is an attractive mix of large brown bits with the occasional bright yellow flash and about 10% black flecks. It is packed in a 100gm metallic foil pouch inside a cubical tin. The tin aroma is quite inticing. The moisture level of the tobacco is probably close to ideal for most smokers. Before I comment on its smoking qualities I must say that my preferences are for Virginia flakes or English mixtures. Classico riservo is very definitly an aromatic! CR is very easy to pack if you can manage the foil pouch. It lights easily and stays lit well. The side stream smoke smells delicious to me, however, my daughter complains that the room odour is rather choking. The tin says this is flavoured with orange. I don't get this. To me it tastes exactly like propolis smells. Read that as very good indeed. The casing flavour stands up fairly well although it does tend to weaken toward the end of the bowl in a large Nording. This tobacco will tolerate a fairly slow smoking speed hence, in spite of its sweetness, it remains cool. So far this sounds like a very positive review and that's fair but I do have at least one serious reservation. Is CR tobacco or flavoured paper? I have no idea what Tuscan or Umbrian tobacco taste like from this experience. That's a pity! Still, if you like aromatics, CR has no nasty surprises for you.