An alternative to Larsen No. 32. Beautiful layers of matured Virginias from the USA and Zimbabwe. In the manufacturing it's shaped as a bar then pressed twice from two angles to achieve beautiful square flakes. It has a natural sweetness without being too much.

BrandPaul Olsen
Blended ByPaul Olsen
Manufactured ByMy Own Blend
Strength
Extremely Mild
Taste
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Paul Olsen - Square Flake (My Own Blend).

When I first saw the name Square Flake on the Danish Pipe Shop's website I expected a sharp square cut flake like Mick McQuaid! But as you can see from the current picture on here it's more like W. O. Larsen's No. 32, or Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Twist Flake. I know where I stand with the moisture level in Paul Olsen blends, I think I've only had one tin that was bad, the rest have all been brilliant.

On to the smoke, it's a well balanced Virginia flavour. There's a little citrus, a slight sweetness, and some hay. After half a bowl Square Flake develops a bready/doughy sort of flavour; this is where my rating goes from three to four. A bowl of S.F. burns reliably, but it can be over quickly if I'm not careful with my puffing. Tongue bite doesn't happen and the temperature's fairly cool.

The nicotine suits me: mild, and the room-note's great.

One of the best straight Virginias I've had, highly recommended.

Four stars.