Double fermented Black Cavendish, dark and orange coloured Virginias, enhanced with honey, plum, orange, vanilla and rum.

BrandCastello
ContentsVirginia, Black Cavendish
FlavoringRum, Honey, Vanilla, Orange, Plum
CountryIT
Strength
Very Mild, Medium
Medium, Very Strong
Taste
Very Pleasant, Pleasant

Rodricus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rodricus (22)
Very Mild Very Strong Medium Very Pleasant

On my aromatic phases, this is one of my all time favorites. It is in deed heavy cased, but of the highest category. The room note is sweet and appealing.

Bright tobaccos give a citric pouch aroma, and the honey is also notable. I have not perceived neither plum nor straight orange, but probably they contribute to a mild tangy bouquet.

I believe this was made in the same factory as AC & Petersen, as it is very similar to their Highland blend. Another blend that reminds me of Catello (but in a somehow not so subtle version) is MacBaren Aroatic Choice. If you are into aromatics and can get your hands in a pouch of Castello, do yourself a favor and try it.

Willy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Willy (75)

Browsing the brands list I noticed that this one hadn't been touched. Having only smoked this a coupla times I'll just throw in tuppence worth. A friend/fellow employee brought a pouch of this back from one of his business trips a while back. Since Castello is a much respected name in the pipe world we expected a much better product than what was actually in the pouch. The initial smell was a dead giveaway (you're tongue-bite bound and you know it) but hey, in for a penny, in for a pound. The assumption was "spot-on". Very sweet, burned hot from the get-go, too much moisture and hard to keep lit. With all those "fruit essences" and rum added it's not surprising. To be fair, we tried it in different pipes over a period of a few days. Nope, can't deal w/this!! I don't think he was very impressed either, and since then I've not seen it anywhere. He may have kept the pouch just for the heck-of-it. Some drying time may have helped w/the smokability and flavor, I didn't try and I doubt he did. I have numerous Castello pipes, they are among my favorites and I feel, IMHO, that they are among the finest smoking pipes to be had today, but I must say we were very disappointed w/the tobacco. I think this may have been their only entry into the tobacco end of the business (to my knowledge anyway), and if so I would have expected a more illustrious premier offering. Sorry Castello, I love your pipes but this stuff doesn't work for me.