Cross cut burleys with a sprinkling of Virginia flake.

Notes: Carter Hall has been providing a straightforward and enjoyable smoking blend at an affordable price since 1895 by keeping things simple: ribbon-cut Virginia and burley leaf of good quality, combined in the right proportions.

BrandJohn Middleton, Inc
Blended ByJohn Middleton, Inc.
Manufactured ByJohn Middleton, Inc.
Blend TypeBurley Based
FlavoringBourbon, Cocoa / Chocolate
Packaging1.5 ounce pouch; 14 ounce plastic tub
Where to Buy PipesAndCigars.com
BnB Tobacco
Strength
Taste

40 years ago I tried this blend and hated it. I wasn't ready for burley blends. Except for my occasional SWRA forays, my reluctance for smoking OTCs since then was hard to break. Recently, I decided to try it again. It's a bit nutty, earthy, with a mild chocolate, and a little molasses, along with a light bourbon topping. The grassy Virginia is in the background much of the time. The toppings do weaken a tad toward the finish, and the natural tobacco flavors become more obvious The one drawback is that with the lessening of the topping, you can experience a cigarette note or two if you puff fast. The nic-hit is mild. Won't bite or get harsh. It burns at a moderate pace, cool and evenly, doesn't need to be relit much, packs very easily, with a very pleasant after taste. Leaves just a little moisture in the bowl. It's easily an all day smoke. It goes well with any drink you choose. Some people kind of look askance at the thought of smoking an OTC, but that is their problem. Don't expect more from it than it's meant to be, and you will enjoy it.

I am often asked if I have a favorite "Drug Store" type blend. I always answer quickly that "yes, I do and it's Carter Hall." In fact, Carter Hall is a blend I smoke at least twice a day and is a wonderful tobacco to smoke late in the evening before calling it quits. Carter Hall is probably the most impressive of all the "drug store" blends I have tried because it tastes like tobacco without fruity casing, and has some strength to it. The Burley is top-shelf and provides a no-nonsense tobacco taste.

This tobacco is bite free and I doubt that even Thomas the Tank Engine could puff this stuff up into the hot zone. It also has some kind of component that makes the ash adhere to the walls of your pipe, thus, aids the caking process in new pipes.

Clarkus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Clarkus (26)

I've put off reviewing CH while I delve deeper into what American classic burley blends are left. After 40 years of smoking mostly tobacco shop fare, I've come to the conclusion that what I'm looking for in a smoke is best found among these venerable old blends.

I didn't care for CH on my first attempt. My second was better than the first but I still found it lacking something but I kept picking up a pouch here and there and now I seem to be smoking it regularly. Actually, I seem to be loving it. It may not be a complex blend but it isn't a completely simple one either. I finally hit the "lovely" spot. I'm not buying any more pouches; I'm buying a tub. My Middleton collection is now comprised of Walnut, Sugar Barrel and Cherry Blend and will soon include Carter Hall. These blends are not good cheap smokes, they are good smokes. CH really is a beautiful smoke.

If Middleton increased the price 150% and put it in a small tin, they probably couldn't produce enough to satisfy the market.

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (203)

This is a super simple easy-smoking mixture that I have truly come to appreciate. It smokes wonderfully in cob, not quite as well in a briar. Often times, pipers will refer to burley as tasting nutty. I had never experienced that flavor sensation in a burley tobacco until I tried Carter Hall. Now I get it. A subtle sweetness appears through most of the bowl, adding just a bit of complexity. But altogether this is a very enjoyable & tasty smoke that’s perfect for those moments when I want something mild and mindless or when I am having trouble deciding what to smoke. Carter Hall is also very affordable and great for adding a little flavor punch to some of those boring aromatic blends that I regretfully purchased in a fit of TAD. My favorite drug store blend by far, and it leaves my garage smelling quite nice.

Pipe Used: various cobs & briar

Percy Dovetussel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Percy Dovetussel (7)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I must admit that I generally looked upon Drug Store brands with disdain in the old days. Most of them were terrible. Only a few tolerable but one more heavily advertised brand stood out by a mile and that was Carter Hall. I recall the commercial that was more of a cartoon where a veteran pipe smoker made remarks about other blends that burn or bite or have smoke that disturbs the room. In retrospect, I should have paid more attention. A recent experience with this blend proved to be most rewarding. A lot of reviews testify to the excellence of this inexpensive tobacco and the testimony of smokers who speak of it's qualities remaining the same from top to bottom are true. Therefore, I join the many in saying this blend is more than meets the nose.

oldcodger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldcodger (71)

In terms of the price to quality ration, Carter Hall is the clear winner. Understand, this is not a gourmet tobacco. In the food analogy, it is hamburger steak, not prime rib or snow crab legs. But as a serviceable everyday smoke without danger to your wallet, it is hard to beat.

Carter Hall is a cross cut burley with just a sprinkling of snowflake shaped Virginia. There is a slight flavoring (plum? plum/rum?) which renders it a semi aromatic, but less that a light aromatic. The taste is mild, mostly natural tobacco, with just that hint of underlying flavoring.

The room note is natural tobacco, and most folk find it pleasant.

Over the decades of my pipe smoking, I have found Cater Hall to be the best tobacco for putting a cake on a new pipe. For me, no other tobacco has come close in this regard.

I do not give Carter Hall the fourth star for it comes short of the "wow, this stuff is really good" accolade. But as a more than decent smoke at a very fair price, it is certainly recommended.

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (102)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Mild Tolerable

Ahhh, remember when the poet said, "It's possible to feel homesick for a place you've never been"??? I suppose it's also possible to miss a time you've never witnessed.

And so we have Renaissance Fairs, Star Trek, Modern Burlesque, and Codger Envy.

Like many, it seems, I've been investigating the old standards like the Prince, the Sir, and the Carter. Of the three, the Prince is, to my mind, by far the best, but the Carter is a serviceable little blend. After a dozen or so mostly uninspired bowls of CH on its own, I have (again, like many) found it to be a decent base Burley for a faux-Revelation or Country Doctor type blend. A dollop of Latakia, a pinch of Perique, a smattering of Virginia and a wee drizzle of a fruity aromatic such as Devil's Holiday and naked, homely Carter is ready for the prom.

On its own, though, Carter Hall is little more than a house fire waiting to happen. It puts me to sleep when I smoke it.

Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a great burley smoke with morning coffee or while busy, it taste as good as Prince Albert, a bit sweeter, a bit fruitier, however less nutty and it has less chemical after taste than the prince. Overall this is an excellent mild drugstore tobacco for serious burley smokers.

Nathaniel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nathaniel (10)

Ahhh. Carter Hall.

I think the romanticizing of old classic blends gets a little tedious. I'm of the opinion that the present day is just fine to be a pipe smoker, with houses like G.L. Pease and McClelland and Cornell & Diehl doing their thing, let alone the golden oldies still around, like Sam Gawith et al. Pipe smokers, I think, evolve with the times, and there will always be quality blenders making quality blends as long as people don't get too attached to the bygones.

But... Carter Hall.  It's still here. You don't scour eBay for a vintage tin and plunk down 150 dollars for 50 grams. You don't set up an alert on your preferred site in hopes of scoring the one tin that 2,000 other people are also waiting for (cough Penzance cough).  You don't stockpile a stash and wait 5 years for it to age properly.  You throw in a tub with your order (I'm developing a fondness for these 14-oz tubs) and you smoke it right away, if you want.   The tin art is like everything else about this- utilitarian and plain. The sticker label on my can was lopsidedly adhered, which I found charming.  You pry open the homely tan canister, remove the cheap round of paper laid carelessly on top and take a long whiff of the tobacco. No wine, no figs, no dark fruit, no campfires; no alluring scent of pine or spice. The smell is only exactly what you'd expect from the components and the topping. Cocoa from the burley-- not dark chocolate, but a sweet mild chocolate powder. Nutty, but a good plain nut: hazelnut, not almond. Some ripe banana, and a very slight chemical tone in the sweetness. A bit saccharine, but in a good way. The banana reminds me of the classic southern banana pudding, the kind with Nilla wafer cookies on top. The smell isn't strong or room-filling, but, boy, it's good.

Don't bother drying it out, it's good to go. You don't fuss with packing technique, either. Not that I mind fussing; it's the fiddliness of the hobby that I enjoy so much. But you don't have to fiddle. You use the three-layer method, maybe. Even that seemed unnecessary with this tobacco. This is the first blend that I've ever successfully, workably packed by scooping with the pipe and twist-tamping with my finger.

The burn is second to none.  Those smokes where you don't know the bowl is done until the draw is too loose-- that's this. White powdered ash, zero dottle. My Jobey Stromboli canadian, a good 7 inches in length, smoked like a champ. A bit hot in the bowl, but that's because of over-enthusiastic pulling. The long shank cooled everything down. When I slowed down like I should, a good hour and forty-five minute smoke ensued. Good, thick smoke.

The flavor is all the best parts of a really good bourbon, without the bite of alcohol. Caramel, syrup, a bit of white sugar, some ripe banana. Milk chocolate from the burley, exactly what you expect from the tin note. Every puff brings the same thing, there's no development or narrative. The topping doesn't burn off (an admirable feat in itself); what you taste in the charring light is what you get on the last draw. And the sweetness lingers wonderfully in the mouth; an echo of smoke and white sugar. I hope all this verbiage doesn't impress upon you that this is a complex smoke. There's not a lot going on here in the smoking. Flavors don't weave in and out. It's just good, plain tobacco. I think this might make the perfect lawnmower smoke. It's not so complex that you have to sit down to contemplate it; it's a smoke you can enjoy with half a mind, if you've a mind to. On the other hand, it's a good smoke for lounging as well, because the flavors are just that good. It's not an "after-dinner smoke" in the vein of Nightcap, where you want to have something solid in your stomach to bolster you against the tobacco's strength, but it's an after-dinner smoke in the sense that it's sweet as a good dessert and not so complex that your palate will be fatigued by the smoke and the meal. The strength for me was a little higher than I expected; no headspin, but a little twinge in the stomach.  The mechanics are great; the cut, moisture and consistency combine to make this one of the few stuff-and-smoke blends I've ever tried. This does tend to leave my pipe a bit goopy, but pipe cleaners are cheap.

Despite the bourbon flavors in the tobacco, I think a bourbon's complexities would be clouded by Carter Hall's sweetness. I paired it on several occasions with coffee (black for a bitter counterpoint or with a bit of almondmilk and sugar for sweet indulgence) or beer (a simple brown ale worked nicely), and I liked it just fine.

Not every simple smoke is good and not every complex one is bad. And vice versa. The simplicity of a smoke (and pretty much anything else) isn't the measure of its quality. But this tobacco, for me, defines "good simplicity" the way Blackwoods Flake defines "good complexity".

It's nice, as a new pipe smoker, (are you still "new" after 4 years of pretty occasional smoking?) to have a blend you can call a go-to. While I'm not that kind of smoker (I smoke only occasionally, as I said, and I always switch up my choice of leaf), if someone asked for a blend to call their regular, I'd recommend Carter Hall. If I were to become a daily smoker, Carter Hall would be on the shortlist for "my daily smoke". I can see why so many older smokers liked this; who knows, if I live to be an old codger myself, maybe this will become my blend of choice.

Pipe Used: Jobey Stromboli

Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I wasn't sure if I would like this or not, but if you're gonna smoke a pipe you have to, at least, try this once. I not only like it, I like it a lot. There's more flavor than I was expecting and the flavor is good. Burley nuttiness, a slight touch of Virginia, and a very mild topping that I find to be a bit special. It's smooth, no bite, no harshness, and burns cool as long as you don't push it. I seem to like it more and more with each bowl I smoke. When I want something uncomplicated I find myself reaching for this.

Mild in body. Mild to medium in flavor. Moisture out of the pouch is just right for immediate enjoyment. Burns well. Price is hard to beat and factors into the score here.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman, MM Mark Twain, MM Patriot

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is just a great tobacco when you want a basic burley blend. It packs well, and it has a solid tobacco flavor. It stays lit. I smoke this in a cob when I am driving, and it is a simple and satisfying smoke. About half way through the bowl, the flavor seems to intensify. I smoke Prince Albert from time to time as well, and while Carter Hall is slightly milder, I prefer Carter Hall. There is a slight bitter in the flavor profile.

While I understand not everyone is a burley fan, you owe it to yourself to give Carter Hall a try. It is cheap and easy to find. It is a good smoke that is one of those "standards" almost everyone knows.

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (150)

The best of the "OTC" blends. A decent mixer for aromatics that lack smokability. Pleasant enough when smoked slowly to avoid the chemical bite so common with OTCs (the pipe versions of sheet tobacco). I'll call this one the best of the worst. But honestly- there are so many better choices. However, if you must smoke OTC tobacco, and there are times when I've had to, smoke this one.

I'll agree with previous reviews though: it does somehow smoke better in a cob. Over time, this blend has grown on me. And I'll reach for it from time to time. But I can't give it more than two stars given the other high quality burley blends available at roughly the same price per ounce from Mac Baren, Hearth & Home, etc.

Edit 02/14: They say a man admits his mistakes. So I'm admitting mine. This blend has really grown on me. I find myself reaching for it more and more often. There's a unique flavor profile here that's sweet and ever-so-slightly tangy. It's an easy, unchallenging smoke that works all day and is a good break in the evening between more complex blends. As such, I'm raising my review from two to three stars.

Similar Blends: John Middleton, Inc - Sugar Barrel.

Olcodger90 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Olcodger90 (1)

A while back I was taking a trip down memory lane and I recalled the enjoyment that I got out of smoking a pipe when I was in college (70 years ago). The more I thought of it, the more I wanted to try it again. I got a new mm cob and went through the unpleasant task of breaking it in with pa. After it was broken in, I got a pouch of Carter Hall. I had intended to get Edgeworth, but it was not available. Lucky me! I was pleasantly surprised by the Carter Hall in all respects: The way it burns, mild nutty taste, room note (my wife likes it, and that is the ultimate test), no bite. After 2 pouches and testing around, I got a tub of ch. Even better than the pouches. It is an outstanding sipping smoke and I enjoy it particularly in the evening with a small glass of port to sip along with it. If I could give it more than 4 stars, I would. This is a rel winner for those who like a fine blend of burleys

Pipe Used: mmcob

TwelveAMnTX Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TwelveAMnTX (28)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I have not been smoking a pipe very long & got many recommendations to try this tobacco. I have to say I enjoy the taste of Carter Hall! It is a non-aromatic OTC brand with flavor which works for me & many others as well.

It's got a sweet, subtle bourbon smell with hints of other flavors when you open the package. It's not a grab you by the nostrils aromatic by any means, but it entices you to taste what lingers inside.

It's easy to load, burns well in a cob & stays lit with few relights which helps you to savor all the flavors without distraction. I can taste throughout the bowl a sweet mixture of bourbon & cocoa tobacco goodness. I get some nutty flavor here & there, but only slight. It was one of the 1st tobaccos that I actual knew what I tasted when I tasted it, besides vanilla or chocolate aromatics.

I am a new pipe smoker & haven't sampled a lot of tobaccos in this category. I hear a lot say there are better tobaccos out there. This is a good OTC tobacco, that can be found easily around most towns. It's a good smoke & if that's what you're looking for you found it!

Pipe Used: MM Legend

Age When Smoked: fresh to few weeks old

Purchased From: local B & M

LivingFreeinTN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LivingFreeinTN (24)

Tried Carter Hall mainly for the $2.49 price tag on the pouch and in somewhat of an emergency(long car trip, no tobacco).The taste was initially sweet, then faded away and reappeared periodically throughout. It wasn't harsh although no matter how I smoked it, it always seemed to smoke hot. Anyway, if you're in a pinch, you could do a whole lot worse than Carter Hall. Recommend.

UPDATE: There's something about Carter Hall,the more I smoke it the better I like it. Very pleasant. I think I'm going for the big tin and cellar it. Nothing wrong with this price or taste. Just a good mild tobacco.

PuffPuffLive Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PuffPuffLive (17)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

I purchased an estate pipe online that was reamed back to bare wood and had a heavy vanilla ghost. I hoped to dedicate this pipe to Virginia blends, but I knew I had to exercise the ghost first.

I read many reviews saying Carter Hall was great for building cake and smoking out old ghosts. After smoking a 1.5oz pouch, I’m happy to say it worked as expected. What I didn’t expect, was how much I would enjoy smoking Carter Hall.

This OTC killed the tobacco snob in me. It is simply a smooth nutty burley blend with a sprinkling of Virginia’s, and a very light (chocolate, whiskey maybe?) topping. It’s one dimensional, but enjoyable from start to finish.

I now feel foolish for being such a tobacco elitist. I plan on checking out some other OTC classics to see if there are any other hidden gems I’ve been overlooking.

The Cardinal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Cardinal (4)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Unnoticeable

Lighter? Please...

I'm certain coarse language or simmering glances will probably light up this classic. And keep it lit, and lit, and lit, and lit...

My first, and what I thought would be my last experience with Burleys was Prince Albert (That I had to buy, because "...in a can..."). Carter Hall brought me back. It is perfect marriage with your black morning Joe as others have attested.

If I were to make a whiskey comparison - It's the Old Grand Dad BiB of 'baccy, There's a reason it's still around. Reliable, agreeable, and no fuss.

In my opinion thus far it's the trinity of starter tobacco - Captain Black, Carter Hall, and Balkan Sasieni. Then go from there into further aromatics, burleys or English blends.

Pipe Used: Cobs

Age When Smoked: None

Purchased From: PipesAndCigars.com

OomPaul Guy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OomPaul Guy (7)

Love Carter Hall! All the high and mighty pipe snobs can go kick rocks! CH is a good old fashioned American classic. High quality Burley with just a sprinkle of Va to sweeten the pot. This is my go to blend because it is really good. Nice solid, tasty smoke that's been around since the Civil War. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!! Nothing wrong with being fancy pants sometimes, but you also have to bear in mind that sometimes the more you overthink the plumbing the easier it is to stop up the drain. Sometimes simple is better. OTC?...Maybe. But, here is some brutal honesty for everyone that's "too good" for OTC.....ALL tobacco is OTC no matter who "blends" it. To my knowledge the Baccy Nazis in Washington haven't made it "prescription required" yet....Not yet. If you haven't tried it yet, get some. Pack yer pipe and enjoy something that your grandad and his dad smoked for a very long time. You don't have to like it, if it's not your cup of tea, but if it is and you don't try it....You will miss out on one of the finer and simpler things in life.

Pipe Used: Savinelli "Porto Cervo" 614 Oom Paul

chgo.piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chgo.piper (37)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I've been smoking a lot of burley lately and I've been really enjoying Carter Hall with the morning coffee. after about three mugs of high-quality beans, I'm ready to draw deep on a tasty, smooth and slight chocolaty burley, and Carter Hall allows me to do just that. Carter Hall is a damn good OTC blend that I enjoy smoking in both a corn cob or a briar and works best and also taste best when packing my pipe using the air-pocket method... Keep Smoking.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Extremely Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

The secret component that makes this rustic delight cling to the walls of your pipe has been known, I'm sure, to come out of the wrong end of a sow.

Mutatis mutandis, a horse's detritus might be considered a step up from this thing. Refinement being relative, don't you know.

Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

John Middleton Carter Hall.

It seems to me that this blend's almost taken for granted in the States, here in the U.K. one of our biggest O.T.C. blends is Clan, so that's maybe why I'm more impressed with this as an Over The Counter blend!

This is a good smoke, nothing remarkable, but a wholesome blend. The mixture's a little more rugged than I expected, it's not like a broken flake, but there are a few bigger leaves and fat ribbons. Moisture content makes it ready to smoke from the pouch (inside the cardboard box the tobacco's contained in a yellow pouch).

As I said, it's a wholesome smoke: the added flavouring is very mild, I can't detect any bourbon, but the taste I do get is Burley dominant (one of the nuttiest I've had), smoothed by chocolate, with a tiny amount of grass. The chocolate is mild at first, but I can easily identify that's what it is, and then after halfway the strength of the chocolate increases: it makes the smoke very creamy. The burn's good, albeit slightly quick if I puff with too much vigour. I'll put the nicotine as mild to medium, but it requires a big gulp of smoke to become medium in strength.

This is getting four stars, and also showing me how good an O.T.C. blend can be in the States!

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Peterson Donegal Rocky #03

WillBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillBrown (108)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

The is one of the first pipe tobaccos I ever smoked (way back in 1971!). I didn't like it then, I thought the baccy was too strong and didn't like the taste (at all). The only thing I enjoyed was smoking it in a corn cob pipe (the novelty of doing this at the time intrigued me). Well, I just revisited CH over this last weekend, and, just for nostalgia's sake I used a cob. Unfortunately, nothing about my original experience changed. I find the Burley in CH to be "dirty"—I don't believe this is a high quality leaf, nor is the Virginia. For an OTC it's not bad but really, you'd be lying to yourself if you say this is a great Burley; it's not. I don't regret trying it again after all these years, but, honestly, I can think of about 90 other tobaccos I'd rather be smoking.

Keep on Pipin'

buroak Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
buroak (16)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Carter Hall really is the standard against which all other OTC/codger blends are judged. This is a no-fuss, easy burning tobacco with just the right moisture level right out of the pouch. The easy smoking nature of Carter Hall combined with its legendary cake-building properties make this an excellent blend with which to break in a briar pipe.

Due to the fact that I use Carter Hall as my standard break-in tobacco for a new or new-to-me briar pipe, I have smoked this blend in bowls of all dimensions. No matter the dimensions of the bowl in which you smoke Carter Hall, you will get the pleasant, nutty taste of Burley. Unless you smoke far too fast, the taste stays true from first to last draw. I have noticed that the tastes of this very uncomplicated blend become a bit more complex in a large diameter bowl. In a bigger bore bowl I more clearly detect the molasses and mild chocolate/cocoa tastes other reviewers note. A narrow bowl gives me a smoke dominated by Burley nuttiness.

My rating of the room note is based solely on my wife's reaction to how I smell after coming in from smoking a bowl of Carter Hall.

EDIT: I am downgrading this to three stars. The nice things I have to say about the blend are still true, but my recent explorations into the wider world of old-timey Burley blends have shown me better offerings. I would especially recommend that those who enjoy Carter Hall explore L.J. Peretti's many Burley offerings.

Pipe Used: Variety of cobs and briars

Age When Smoked: Fresh and some of 6 months' aging

Purchased From: Local B&M

Perdurabo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perdurabo (23)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

I must retract a statement I made on an earlier review, concerning Burley's. I said to skip ALL OTC BURLEY's and go with GL Pease Barbary Coast. I made that statement because I felt at the time that the flavor to be found in OTC Burley blends was a waste of pipe smoking time. Not so fast Perdurabo! Not so fast!

I picked up some Carter Hall at the grocery store because I had this great idea of using it to take out the funky antique smell from a pipe stand that I purchased. Vinegar and coffee grounds as well as furniture polish wasn't doing the trick. I knew that burley held casings for aromatics well. Why wouldn't it take the funk out of the pipe stand? So I thought, What the Hell! Carter Hall is straight burley with Virginia with no crazy sauces added. Gave it a try and It worked well.

Since I had the tobacco hanging around the house in a jar,I figure I'd give it a try. First impressions, not too impressed, but wasn't bad.

Flash forward- Falling in love with GL Pease Barbary Coast and Cornell & Diehl's Old Joe Krantz... I gave Carter Hall another go.

Taking my time and having more experience with the flavor profile of burley. This stuff is a winner. Mild flavors of cocoa and earthy walnut that are not complex but would be enjoyed with hot or iced tea on summer mornings. Slightly cased with anisette? I can't quite put my finger on it. The tobacco seems to be of good quality, nothing like The blends mentioned above. The price and the quality of tobacco makes Carter Hall a pretty decent smoke.

Pipe Used: Rob Roy Cobb

Purchased From: Kroger ??

Jevverrett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jevverrett (83)

As I was reviewing the prince, it dawned on me I had missed this one as well. It's not a bad blend at all for what it is. I also want to go on the record as stating I have never, to my knowledge, found a piece of broken va flake in carter hall.

It's a cheap OTC blend that is rich on burley. Like some others have pointed out, it is an excellent blending base for home concoctions. It can mellow out an over the top blend like a dream. I smoked a big heap of this blend some years ago largely due to its simplicity, and price. It is tasty though. And it packs and burns well enough that you barely need to think about what your doing. Good tobacco for working in the yard or at your desk. Good for reading too. I have moved on to more complex things over the years, but I do still grab a packet of this and a cob at the drug store some times when I'm out on the road and didn't bring anything with me.

Having written this, I suddenly have the hankering to get some. May do that tomorrow while I'm out. Might be a good smoke while I watch my little boy playing at the park. I hope you will give it a try. Millions of old pipe guys can't be wrong.

Pipe Used: Various Grabows, MM cobs

Age When Smoked: Fresh pouches

Purchased From: Almost any shop with tobacco

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (139)

I got this one as a result of a recent trade via PSF.com as it's unavailable here in the UK. I have been wanting to get my hands on it for a long time as it seems to be a much talked blend. I did some reading up on it, mainly the reviews on here, so had a rough idea what to expect and, it turns out, it didn't disappoint.

The initial packaging of the 1.5 ounce packets I had, for me, were a pleasant novelty, to come in a nicely presented foil wrapper in a nice box was certainly pleasantly different. The aroma, too, was something a little different, something akin to confectionery, perhaps a mildly flavoured bubblegum. Packing was very easy due to the finely cut ribbons as was lighting. The smoke carried on much the same as the aroma from the packet, a nice mild and sweet flavour. This flavour and the aroma, however, developed into something a little nutty, though maintaining the sweetness. As for tonguebite, I got a little to begin with but after four of five smokes it disappeared.

I can understand why this is so widely and highly regarded. No, it's not a fantastic tobacco, it's not the same standard as, say, RDF or FVF, but then it doesn't pretend to be. It is a good, cheap and easily affordable (for the US anyway). Yes, it is quite obviously cased, but is done so expertly. Comparing this to "better" tobaccos is like comparing bubblegum with steak, there is no comparison. Sadly, it's not so cheap to get in the UK, what with international shipping charges and all, and even if it were on general sale over it would probably still cost the same as most OTC blends over here, somewhere in the region of £10 or £11 for 50g, saying that I would probably still buy it, even at those prices, though perhaps not so often as I'd like. Saying that though, I can see why it's so well regarded, it's designed to be cheap, not designed and then made cheaply.

Whenever posting a few thoughts on a drugstore, over the counter blend, I often struggle with whether or not it should be rated on what it is intended to be (OTC) or lump it together with the more boutique blends. When it comes to Carter Hall, for me, it doesn't make any difference because either way it is a pretty nice, lightly aromatic blend. After taking a fair amount of time drying CH out, it packs with ease, and burns smoothly. There is a slight undertone of nuttiness, but less than I expected. There is no complexity here so if that's what you seek don't look here. CH is sweet, but not sickly sweet. My only real negative is the slight, but only slight, chemical taste. I experienced no bite whatsoever although if you have a sweet tooth, there may be a temptation to over puff it so I can see how it might be a possible biter. I find CH a great tobacco for those seeking a decent, affordable tobacco at a budget price.

Shoog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shoog (13)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This has been my go to blend since I have started pipe smoking. Carter Hall is one of those tobaccos the never disappoints. Very pleasant raisin like smell from the tub. Tons of cool creamy smoke. It is one of the few blends that has never bit me despite how I abuse it. It does burn a tad on the fast side but for the price and availability I'm ok with that. (Just load up another bowl if you feel the need, it's cheap enough). It is the ONLY tobacco I can smoke all day with no negative effects or it wearing on my taste buds. Carter Hall may lack the snob appeal but that's just another positive in my opinion.

Sailorjack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sailorjack (57)

I don't smoke burley blends much anymore but if you like old codger burleys than I don't see how one wouldn't enjoy CH. I have smoked a good deal of Middleton's Sugar Barrel and enjoy it more but this is a tasty, relaxing smoke. Only negative is a fast burn.

Prof. Lewis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Prof. Lewis (7)

Nice flavour and room note, I am sure there is topping in here but it seems light. When I was younger I had smoked some of Middleton's cigars, this sort of reminds me of those cigars, not quite as aromatic. Only drawback to this blend is that I found it burned a little fast.

Age When Smoked: 2 oz sample smoked fresh

Purchased From: 4noggins.com

J.R. Patton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J.R. Patton (106)

This tobacco is already well-reviewed, so i don't have much to add. Out of all the so-called drugstore tobaccos, this is far and away my favorite. It never gets harsh, requires no dry time, burns cleanly, and never bites. I can smoke bowl after bowl of this. It's simplistic and requires no thought. The topping is sparingly applied and allows the wonderful burley flavor to shine. On top of all that, its very affordable to boot. I always keep a big tub of CH handy and often binge on it for several consecutive days

Pipe Used: Meerschaum

Age When Smoked: Fresh tub

Purchased From: Local B&M

Similar Blends: John Patton - Storm Front.

CherchezLaghost Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CherchezLaghost (52)

Carter Hall. Cross cut burley with a smattering of virginia. Its simplicity is a thing of beauty. Objectively it is one smoke that has probably contributed more pleasure to my years of piping than any other blend. Its that good. Not "a good otc" or a good "in a pinch" smoke. A good smoke, no qualifier needed. Straightforward soft, round, nutty and cocoa ey burley flavor with a very slight extra sweetness from the virginia. It isnt complex. It will not bite. It will reward slow puffing. The topping is mild, and hard for me to characterize except to say i very much enjoy it. Said topping is fairly conservatively applied and not overly strong. Definitely best in a cob. If we can be honest with ourselves for a moment, what isn't best in a cob? I have several cobs and briars dedicated to this humble blend, and i nearly always have some on hand. If you enjoy prince albert, half and half, or swr, i cant imagine not enjoying the hell out of carter hall, and in my opinion it surpasses all of these by a good margin. Don't be too proud to pick up a beige and orange pouch of Carter Hall. You'd be depriving yourself of one of the simple true pleasures in life.

Pipe Used: Cobs, meerschaums, briar

Age When Smoked: New to 1 year

Similar Blends: Half and half, PA.

CarterFan125 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CarterFan125 (1)
Mild to Medium Medium Full Very Pleasant

I have been on a long trek, as many of us have been, to find the tobacco of our father/grandfather that was so pleasant to our youth. Grandpa Rahn smoked a brand that entranced my siblings and I and, being the only pipe smoking one, I I took up the search. I remember being on the walking post of my patrol in about 1989 and smelling the familiar fragrance of grandpa's tobacco. (He, a retired Milwaukee PD Sgt. and me a Binghamton PD cop.) I still remembered that smell, though he died when I was 5 years old. I think grandpa smoked Sir Walter Raleigh, which smells great, but have found myself attracted with Carter Hall. So for my siblings, I will revive grandpa in their presence with Sir Walter, and for selfish pleasures at home, smoke Carter Hall.

Pipe Used: Briar wood HS pipe

Age When Smoked: 56

Purchased From: Bernaci.com

Garlisk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Garlisk (1)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm choosing Carter Hall as my first review because it was the first tobacco that I felt I thoroughly enjoyed. When I was a new pipe smoker, I wasn't ready for heavier smokes or complexities that I didn't even know how to appreciate. Among the "drug store" blends, CH was my favorite.

Carter Hall satisfied because... 1: It is easy to smoke. This might be the easiest smoke I've ever had. Packing a pipe can be difficult, but I found CH to be like using training wheels. 2: It is forgiving. No bite. 3: It is mild in all respects. Everything about this blend is mild. 4: It is useful. Once I was ready to move on to bigger, better blends, I found I still wanted CH around to mix into other blends to improve their burn or mellow them out. I still like mixing CH and flake VA's.

All that said, Carter Hall is not astounding or exceptional in any area, which I feel is the requirement to earn 4 stars.

Verdict: A good, easy smoking tobacco that continues to be useful in the smoker's arsenal.

Similar Blends: John Middleton, Inc - Prince Albert.

Prado1200 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Prado1200 (5)

I tried a few of the "drug store" brands and didn't really care for any of them. Then I tried Carter Hall. I was very surprised. I actually did a double take and smoked another bowl right after the first. It didn't bite, it smoke well, stayed lit. It was nice. You can find it anywhere and it's priced well. I would recommend this to anyone starting out.

Pipe Used: MM Cob, Peterson.

Purchased From: Grocery store

wvlunting Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wvlunting (1)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

It's a good, steady burley, with light casing, making for a pleasant smoke. It burns light and stays lit nicely. It doesn't give you tongue bite. It's not a very remarkable blend otherwise, but a fine smoke with a decent room note.

Pipe Used: H.I.S. bent apple

Age When Smoked: Brand New

Purchased From: Smoker Friendly, Morgantown, WV

owingswd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
owingswd (7)
Mild None Detected Mild Unnoticeable

Ok. I've smoked for almost 40 years and have never before tried Carter Hall. This is a really pleasant smoke. No frills, good American tobacco, moist but easy to keep lit. Inexpensive. What's not to like? I smoke everything: English, Virginia (my favorite), aromatics, but I'd smoke this anywhere, anytime. Very pleasant for study or reading. If you smoke a pipe to impress others, CH isn't for you. If you want the experience of simple communing with the humble practitioners of our ancient art, you should really try this. I mark the room note "unnoticeable" but it was smoked outside.

Pipe Used: Ben Wade freehand, large, deep bowl

Age When Smoked: Just purchased

Purchased From: Sleazy, local tobacco den full of cheap cigarettes and Hav-a-Tampas

NHPro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NHPro (4)

Well I must say, this blend surprised me the most so far of all the OTC tobaccos I've tried. Very mild and mellow tasting with chocolate overtones? In the pouch it has a bit of a wine scent, but I didn't taste it during my smoke. Instead I enjoyed an overall easy smoking and rewarding mixture of Burley that is easy to pack and stays lit with no bite. This is a simple man's pipe tobacco, I like that. Carter Hall is a must try and will probably be agreeable to most.

Update: It's been 1 year and I still feel Carter Hall is a great tobacco. I no longer smell a wine scent, but the chocolate overtones come through strongest to me. Enjoy!

Pipe Used: Corn Cob Classic

Age When Smoked: Shelf 1 year?

Purchased From: Smoking Joe's

teaandpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
teaandpipe (3)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

The first real burley blend I've had. Didn't like it at first, but it's really grown on me and I like it quite a bit now. A blend every pipe smoker should try. Also is very pleasant with some Latakia blended in.

Mark O Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mark O (6)

Carter Hall is my favorite codger burley. It's the only tobacco I'll buy in a tub. If you want to just sit and relax without having to constantly nurture and coax your tobacco to burn; if you don't want to smoke a bouquet of flowers or a fruity salad; if you like the smell of bread baking and a sweet, mild, burley flavor with a nutty topping then this tobacco is for you. It has a sweeter taste that PA and non of the chemical or cough syrup overtones that I get with Half and Half. CH burns clean and fine with no relights or residue. Nothing complex here. It's just simple, wholesome goodness.....Extra wholesome with a nice cup of coffee.

Pipe Used: Good in a cob, good in an expensive briar.....

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (300)

This is just a great burley from Middleton. Light and airy, easy in a cob, perfect for breaking in a pipe. 12 ounces is $23 to $25, that's the cheapest I've seen a tub and it is a great value. I just love the luxury pouch (a vinyl covered foil) as it carries well in the pocket and is just so nostalgic! Four stars for quality to price ratio and for the fact that CH is just so damn versatile and beginner friendly. It does make a fantastic blender.

A great putzing around the house blend is Half Carter Hall, Half Captain Black Dark which does make an amazing Black and Tan blend

Pipe Used: Cob, Briar, Meerschaum

Purchased From: From WV Smokeshop

Similar Blends: Hearth & Home - Chatham Manor (Mid-Town Series).

The Right Reverend Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Right Reverend (36)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Taking my tour of OTC classic tobaccos I found Carter Hall to be a pleasant surprise. While very mild in taste it did have a light nutty flavor here and there as I smoked a bowl, mixed in with the slight burley flavor. The flavor is so mild I hesitate to call it an aromatic as the packaging says. Like most of the OTC's it lit well, burned consistently down to the bottom of the bowl. This is certainly something you could smoke daily and your tongue won't fall off or have a ashtray in your mouth the next morning. The room note was very light and neutral. I would say this is the best, for me, of the OTC tobaccos I have tried. A solid unpretentious blend that is worth a try.

Update 5/30/14: Upped to four stars because this has become my everyday smoke.

Pipe Used: Cob

Corncob3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Corncob3 (72)
Mild Mild Very Full Very Pleasant

A good fail-safe blend that has withstood the test of time. Slightly salty, slightly sweet, nutty and rich straightforward flavor. No heavy casing and no bad aftertaste. Also great for blending or stretching other blends out. This isn't for aromatic smokers but a great one to start with if you need to get out of the aromatic rut. I found CH in the tubs to have better flavor overall. Creamy clouds of smoke and a a nice room note (cross between toasted almonds and toasted marshmallows). OTC that never disappoints. CH is meant to be aired out for a few hours then jarred. This will allow the tobacco to wilt and gain sweetness. A day or so later pull a small batch out and air it for about half an hour. I like packing this blend tight and full in my cob. Charing light. Very tasty with the nuances shining through. The bowlful tends to last longer too. I see a lot of reviews for this blend but am surprised that is not a staple in people's rotation. It should be, because when prepped and smoked properly CH is very rewarding.

Pipe Used: Corncob and Briar

Similar Blends: Not Symphony/Hearth and Home Chatham Manor..

Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

How to review an American classic that is cheaper yet superior to many of its OTC competition. I had toyed with the idea of giving it four stars just upon this alone, but when compared to other burley virginia mixes abailable out there, I can't, in good conscience give it four stars. All that said I really did enjoy my time with Carter Hall. All 14 oz in the giant plastic tub that I bought nearly two years ago at the grocery store.

I usually cannot stand a chemical taste to tobacco, but somehow it doesn't bother me as much with CH. How do I know that this is chemically cased? Well, one look at the plastic tub reveals its less than ideal storage capability. Just the slightest grab at the sides will cause the top to pop off. Yet for nearly two years, this tobacco never changed in moisture level or taste. And even with all of this going on, I still enjoyed this more than LJ Heart Burley from P & C. That is saying a lot when I enjoy a cased tobacco more than a more natural rendition of the same.

This smokes best out of a cob. I started amoking it that way as the cob was the only pipe I had when I bought it and the codgers at PSF convinced me to continue smoking it that way. There are many on the forum who have smoked longer than I have been alive who smoke this blend almost exclusively, so that is also saying something.

So needless to say I do recommend thsi blend. It is good and it is cheap. If you are not crazy about it, you will not be out of much cash and it can be used to tone down someother blends as it makes a great blending element. It can easily be enjoyed all day long and it has a decent nicotine boost. I have since smoked Five Brothers and Sir Walter Raleigh and put those two up close to CH, but I think CH still rules the roost for drugstore American blends.

Thbg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thbg (29)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco is a simple blend of burley and broken viginia flake with a light "fruit/liquor" topping. It is very mild, hard to make it bite. Leaves a smooth, nutty, creamy, faint sweetness on the palate. It is refreshing and has a "clean" taste to it that is perfect for hot summer weather.

The burley does the driving but VA can be detected and adds to the overall composition. Exhale through your nose and you will notice that VA zest.

Smells great while burning and has attracted more positive comments from bystandards than other burley blends, but will leave a cigarette-ish smell lurking if smoked inside that my wife hates. So watch out for that.

At just over $20 for 14OZ this is a steal and I find this blend to be very underated due to its drug store status.

I have found that a bowlful of CH in a Dr. Grabow Grand Duke is one of life's simple pleasures. Old Pop-Pop had it right.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (145)

I have been gradually easing myself into exploring some of the Burleys out there, having initially avoided them after some early bad experiences with Prince Albert and Half & Half. Carter Hall affords a great deal of respect both here and on the various tobacco forums, so at the local drug store I figured, "Why not?", and picked out a pouch, including another helping of Prince Albert, to see if my tastes had changed.

The smell emanating from the pouch was delicious, like fresh chocolate, warm and sweet. The cut is rough, not exactly a ribbon, nor anything else I might describe, though it has an almost pellet like look. I puffed away my first time around fully expecting to be grossed out. I wasn't. That familiar "nutty" description blasted my receptors. Not bad!

People criticize these drug store blends for the inclusion of chemicals that allow the tobacco to keep, and those that aid in controlling burn. I must say, I can't recall a tobacco firing this quick--it lit with barely a flame and immediately took off. To that end, I sense somewhat of a metallic, synthetic taste that I don't detect with some of the higher quality Burleys like Solani's Aged Burley Flake, my standard for the leaf.

I must be honest here and divulge that my long standing and early negative impressions of Half & Half and Prince Albert have bred a seeming distaste for the average Codger Burley that encompasses more than a fair share of fans. Consistent with that opinion, subsequent smokes of Carter Hall proved less appealing, as that nutty flavor fell deeper into the background and that metallic note grew increasingly evident. I haven't given up on the blend yet, however, though I admit that it will be difficult to finish this pouch.

At this point I'm not certain whether tastes change or even where I stand with these drug store Burleys. I can tell you with absolute certainty that my reunion with Prince Albert didn't go well. I'm going to throw that bastard out of my house.

PastorPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PastorPipe (21)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Many of the best things in life don't cost a lot of money; Carter Hall is one of them. I bought the 1.5 oz "luxury pouch." Upon opening the pouch I get the beautiful aroma of a Cadbury Fruit and Nut Bar--chocolate with raisins and hazelnuts. The tobacco burned evenly and consistently and required no relighting until about the last quarter of the bowl where it was a little 'wet.' However, I think a little drying would cure this. I got just the slightest bit of gurgle. The flavor is mild and sweet, but not too sweet. I sipped it slowly and gently and there is was no tongue bite. About half-way down it got a little stronger, but not harsh. To smoke the last quarter of the bowl, I tapped the ash out and then re-lit, and it was very nice. This is just a straight forward "old timey" pipe tobacco that's really nostalgic and nice. I'm now a CH fan.

I've been working on a tub of this for some time now, off and on. This is your proto-typical OTC burley blend. It's far from my favorite OTC, but it's your basic non-offensive pure burley tobacco. Not overly flavorful, this was obviously designed to be an all-day smoke, probably for those who smoke a lot all day! There is a mild topping that becomes an irritant from time to time but it comes and goes - it's mostly "gone". It's predominantly a straight tobacco taste, nothing to throw the taste buds into a rapturous tizzy, but nice and steady. It's hard to imagine anyone hating this but I can certainly see how some smokers would long for a bit more pizzaz.

If you're into OTC's, you've obviously tried this already. If you're not and you're wondering what the fuss is all about, this might be a good place to start. My experience tells me that as cute and handy as those little packages are, the tub is much more consistent.

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (113)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I guess I was lured by these glowing reports of CH. I am pretty much an English blend smoker and of those mostly those by Cornell & Diehl and McClelland, but I do on occasion enjoy several Lane bulk aromatics (I know, weird) in a cob. Thus, when I saw a 1.5 oz pouch yesterday at grocery store for only $2.79 I figured to give this a try. Going slightly against the consensus here, I did not really enjoy this. It did not offend me outright, but did not satisfy either. Added to this was the amazing effect of giving my tongue a rasping after two bowls spaced 5 hours apart. As I smoke up to 8 bowls of C&D's Engine99 (which is like their Pirate Kake on steroids) I was surprised. Hey, I gave it a try...the remainder of pouch will go to longterm storage in my stash against the coming tobacco prohibition days ahead, unless I find a fellow Tobacco Review member in Pittsburgh to gift him this.

I find it incredible that Middleton would discontinue a fine blend such as London Dock and keep making this. I guess the bottom line rules- no surprise.

Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

I used to smoke this exclusively for about ten years until I discovered all the great private tobaccos I now smoke. It is mild, just a touch sweet, burns well and stays lit to the bottom. It has a slightly sweet smell in the pouch and a pleasant room note that has never brought a complaint (except to smoke police). It is a good basic blend that acts as a good mixer, is fairly easy to find and if mixed with Borkum Riff Bourbon blend is great. I am on to better things now but a great starter tobacco and at a very good price.

Henry Mars Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Henry Mars (21)

This is probably the first pipe tobacco I ever smoked .... (45 years ago?) It has been around forever and I don't think that it is going away any time soon. What you have here is a basic burly concoction augmented with a mild flavoring agent and a mild casing, which is typical of tobaccos in this class. When smoked slowly it produces a mild nutty tasting smoke that doesn't change much. This is my "yard work tobacco" because you don't have to worry about your technique short of not puffing to fast because if you do it will leave you mouth crying and your head spinning as will most burly tobacco mixtures.

If you are expecting some kind of epiphany forget it. There are far better burly mixtures out there. On the other hand, this stuff is cheap and it isn't quite mulch. 2.5 stars.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant

Better than Granger and way better than Half & Half, this is "high quality" drugstore tobacco, with very little tongue bite and chemical taste.

That said, there are tons of burley blends way better than this one. Even when they are more expensive, we have only one life to try hundreds of tobaccos. Aim for the good ones, and if you're willing to try the rest and you haven't died yet, consider giving drugstore blends a try, and start with Prince Albert, SWR Aromatic and Walnut.

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (66)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

For a "drug store" burley blend, this is actually pretty decent. It lights and packs easily. It delivers a one-dimentional taste of bark, that traditional burley taste. It doesn't bite too much and has a nice aroma. Having said that, I wouldn't be against picking up some of this when I can't get to any better blends or if getting high quality tobaccos becomes very tough. However, I probably won't return to this one as it is nothing to write home about, but it really isn't all that bad either.

UPDATE: Bought another pouch. I detected a strong astringent odor in the pouch. Is that Scotch I smell? The flavor reminds me of a cheap, sweet beer. It isn't bad, but I just don't care for it. Try MacBaren's London Blend Burley or Lane's Burley Mild for a better and still reasonably priced burley.

A. Morley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A. Morley (97)

Carter Hall will always be a pleasure to smoke. There comes a time wherein all of the disputatiousness of connoisseurship begins to wear on one and you just want to sit back and have a pipe and forget about all of that for a while. To this end, good Old Carter Hall is perfect.

This may initially seem like a clone of the sainted Prince Albert from the same company, but there are subtle and delightful differences. The cut is even shorter than that of Prince Albert, making for the easiest pipe charging in all of pipedom. It lights and stays lit like a dream. There is also added some sort of mild top dressing that serves to bring about more of a woodsy flavor in the Burley than is found in many other Drugstore Burley blends.

I think of my Granddad, the stony faced road crew boss recognized throughout the state of Oregon for his constant supply of one liners and his beat up, disgusting Grabow always clenched in the centre of his teeth. In the evenings I would sit on his knee and he would give me his package of Carter Hall to look at and tell me funny stories about the people that lived in that big red house. I shall always find a home in Carter Hall.

Regards,

A. Morley Jaques

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (180)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Nice middle of the road burley, as previous reviewers have said. It was not offensive in the least and it produced no bite. If I were out of tobacco and found this at the store I would not be disappointed. My second favorite drugstore burley after Kentucky Club.

Extremely Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

This is something in between Prince Albert and Half&Half. A very conventional burley, with a hint of Virginias (at least in the aroma), and a rather sharp, acidic note. Mild and virtually flavorless, it is prepared with the same industrial care of many a drug store blend, hence it packs easily, it lights quickly and it burns trouble free. Again, not a bad choice if stuck in the middle of nowhere, or if just wanting to have a few puffs when in public. Personally, I prefer Half& Half or the Prince, but I recently smoked this one in a shopping mall, just before going to a movie theater, and it served its purpose perfectly well.

OhioTony76 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OhioTony76 (24)

Upon opening my 1.5 oz bag, the moisture level is almost perfect. I dry it for about 10 min. Easy to pack and light. Gives off lots of smoke. Topping flavor to my palette is vanilla and chocolate. With a bit of something else sweet. Very light though. Burns fast and pretty cool. Stays lit great. Flavors are one note after topping mellows out. But still nice. Smooth mild burley flavors. I thought I could pick out the Virginia notes once or twice maybe. Burned to the bottom with no dottle. Med/low nic hit. I could see noobies and veterans liking this blend. No fuss tobacco.

Pipe Used: Cob and Briar

Purchased From: Local tobacco shop

Similar Blends: Cornell & Diehl - Briar Fox, Hearth & Home - Anniversary Kake (Signature Series).

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (191)

A fuller version of Prince Albert, a stronger topping and the Virginias give it more character. Nuttier, earthier with a stronger chocolate and bourbon topping. Has better burning qualities and the topping recedes towards the end. Another OTC winner.

Pilot Lon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pilot Lon (16)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Ditto what others have said. Very satisfying smoke....cool and mild, nice tobacco flavor, without hitting you over the head. Just an honest, unadulterated flavor that went extremely well with the first cup of coffee for the day. Sometimes it just pays to go back to basics, and avoid chasing rainbows and unicorns.

While I do love my Old Glory, my BCA, my 1Q, RLP-6, and various mixes of those. the CH struck me as simplicity in itself, not trying to be something else, but just the pipe tobacco I recall smelling as a kid. I ordered a tub, while P&C was having their appreciation week. This will most definitely be part of my rotation.

Try it mixed with a bit of 1Q for a flavor that is very remindful of the taste of a sweet-salty mixture of roasted nuts.

Lovin it!

EDIT: 9/11/2017. I purchased a tub of CH, based on how good the pouch was. The cut and unsmoked aroma seemed to be the same, but the tub contents was more moist, and smoked with a very harsh, very bitter taste. A second pouch seems to smoke as well as the first, however. I'm not sure what makes the tub contents so different. They certainly look the same. However, it may have to dry for 6 months (or more) until it begins to smoke like the pouch contents. I'd still recommend the pouch, but approach the tub with some caution.

EDIT 9-27-2017. I'm changing my rating to 4-stars. The tub finally dried nicely, and I discovered that my aromatic chugging technique is not appropriate for this. Sipping brings out an astounding sweetness, nuttiness, cocoa that is well worth discovering. I'm quickly finding that I go to my aromatics less and less, and gravitate to CH and LRR at almost any time of the day.

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the pouch

Purchased From: P&C

dbl-bbl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dbl-bbl (36)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I bought this CH several months ago along with a couple other codger blends (Prince Albert & Sir Walter Raleigh). I immediately opened the CH and after performing the sniff test I loaded up a pipe for the first smoke. Not bad stuff, monochromatic and cool smoking as others have duly noted. With plenty of other blends available, I then socked away the remainder of the pouch into a mason jar.

I've been holding off smoking a new Castello Old Antiquary Briar Stack that I picked up a few weeks ago as I've been undecided whether to use it for Flakes & Aromatics or for English Latakia blends. Although I still don't know which direction to go I figured it was high time to begin the break in process ... so I opted for some good old Burley (with just a tinge of Virginia). To my surprise, the CH that I had just trialed a few months ago and had jarred away ... now presents with slightly more "nut and molasses" flavoring. Did just 3 months of cellaring turn this so-so blend into a tasty treat? Me thinks so. Heck I like CH ... nothing complex ... just good old nutty tasting Burley that delivers a cool smoke ... can be used for an all day smoke if one desires. Guess I'll just continue breaking in that Castello with CH until I figure what else to use it for ... and if I can't ... well heck I'll just stick with the CH.

Pipe Used: Briars, Meerschaums & Cobs

Age When Smoked: Fresh & Aged Several Months

1979 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
1979 (62)

John H Middleton - Carter Hall

"No-name products could compromise these tough standards and that would reduce your smoking pleasure."  Fortunately Carter Hall refuses to allow this to happen to you, and puts it in writing right on the box.

When i got into this pipe smoking thing back in the late 90s Carter Hall was the second tobacco I went to after figuring that there must surely be something better than The Captain.  Unlike The Captain it's one that I've returned to time and again since.

A nutty burley with a nutty cut, sweetened and enhanced with possibly honey or molasses, produces a hint of what I interpret as cinnamon.  Won't bite and doesn't even taste so bad when you puff away like crazy.  Very forgiving.  Not sticky and moisture is great right from the pouch.  Can turn somewhat bitter at the bottom of the bowl just like you'd expect.  A very inoffensive blend, I can't think of anything bad to say about it.  I'm a little hard pressed to give Carter Hall a four star rating (although I really should) just because it doesn't quite take me to the upper echelons of tobacco nirvana.  But it is a dependable old standby and the best OTC blend on the market today in my opinion.

Readily available anywhere in the US at reasonable cost, I'd very much recommend this to every beginning piper, or anyone looking for a blend that's simple and easy to get along with.

Carter Hall -- it's not a place, it's a state of mind.

Jason h. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jason h. (47)

This has become my favorite Codger tobacco. All of the "tobacco snobs" will tell you it is not "worthy", and I say to this........"Bull!!!!" This is the mildest most biteless tobaccos you will ever smoke. Its good, and sweet. And best of all, it contains no "Latakia," the stuff alot of pipe tobacco (snobs) folks like? Latakia smells and tastes so offensive.......how can anybody smoke that crap!?

Callebaut Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Callebaut (3)

Every now and then I achieve a monumental smoke. Not earth shattering, but just perfect. Maybe the stars are aligned just right, or all of the other variables might just be in sync. Although I have 90+ tobaccos in my cellar, Carter Hall has given me moments like these. It’s not complicated and I don’t have to over think it. It has a very satisfying flavor and mouth feel with no bite whatsoever. Just the right amount of sweetness and nuttiness with wisps of chocolate that remain constant throughout the bowl. It has a pleasant room note that does not linger. Tin note is warm and delicious and sometimes open the tub just to take a whiff. It blends with other tobaccos very nicely and has given some redemption to tobaccos that were in my opinion unsatisfactory. As far as it being an OTC, I remain unbiased. I have aged unopened tins of some of the most coveted tobaccos in my collection, but there will always be room for Carter Hall. As has been said many times before, for a stand-alone smoke, it does best in a cob with hot black coffee. It is also good for breaking in new pipes. I take this fishing with me, and when that Striper hits, Carter Hall always saves my seat.

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Similar Blends: PA.

Chefreiss@gmail.com Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chefreiss@gmail.com (1)

My grandfather began smoking a pipe in 1917 when he joined the navy during WWI. He smoked Carter Hall then and did so until his death in 1973. Carter Hall to me is like the feeling you get when you are six years old and it is December 23rd, you know the warm feeling you get in your stomach as you sit in front of the lit up Christmas tree with the room lights out. To me it brings back fond memories of my Grandfather. Just mentioning the name, Carter Hall or smelling a fresh open pack causes fond memories to rush into my head. It will always be my favorite, not only for the memories, but also for the comfort it gives me like "comfort food" does for most people. Sure there are many tobaccos with much more complex flavors and taste, but there are few like Carter Hall and the likes of such tabacos as Prince Albert that have that long embedded history with smokers of the past 100 years or more.

Pipe Used: WO Larsen Briar w/ Brandy Bowls

Age When Smoked: 57

Purchased From: Walmart

halpuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
halpuff (11)

I had always related Burley to cigarettes' so I was hesitant to give anything containing Burley's a try because I didn't want anything near that would make me smell like or taste like a stinking cigarette. A friend put me on to Carter Hall and suggested I give it a try. After my first bowl I was in heaven. Moisture content right out of the package was just right. It packs and lights well with a fraction of the fuss that many more expensive pipe tobaccos offer. Two matches was all it took to start and finish a bowl. The burn was even and consistent and required minimal relights. The aroma off the pipe and residual room note fragrance was very pleasant, catching hints of sweet baked goods or cherry pie. Carter leaves a very nice after taste follow through. A sweetness at the back of the tongue and on the lips. This is not a goopy syrupy aromatic that is laden with glycol. In fact there is not even a hint of that at all. If there is a topping at all it is very light and well into the background. I have smoked many of the expensive top grade tinned blends over the years and have discovered I like them less than I do Carter Hall. Carter Hall is a very nice, simple pleasant experience that requires little fuss to enjoy. I have discovered that there is a reason Carter Hall has been around for such a long time. The pipe snobs will look down their noses at this, but this is one OTC tobacco that can hold its own with the B&M best. Many reviewers have simply described this as a simple one sided pure Burly tobacco, however I would have to disagree. Yes, it is Burly based, but the maker states that it has some added Virginia and Cavendish. The Cavendish could consist of a pressure or heat treated Virginia or Cavendish to bring out the sweetness, or Virginia or Burly with a topping of some kind. Point being that it is much more than just a plain-jane Burly. The combination of these three components gives this blend a greater degree of complexity and interest over just a straight Burly, which can be detected as this blend is explored. I tried this in a billiard with a 3/4" wide chamber and my large bowled full bent with a 7/8" wide chamber. It seemed to burn too fast and hot in the narrow chamber and much slower and cooler in the larger 7/8" chamber.

Pipe Used: GBD billiard and a large bowled full bent.

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (180)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant

A mild Burley-Virginia blend with the sparest of flavouring. The top note is, after numerous rethinks, some kind of berry or plum. Maybe. Perhaps.

Burns a treat without need for attention.

Easy to see why this is one of the great surviving American codger blends. It tastes good. it smells nice. It burns right. You can't ask much more of a tobacco.

Edit. After a few kilos of this stuff I've amended my rating down to three. I still think it's a good tobacco, but I find it does burn a tad too fast, and this takes away from the value of the product. Additionally, I keep coming across un natural looking pieces of tobacco which I think might be tobacco laminate. And, for whatever reason, my palate seems to developed an irritation from this baccy. Not deal breakers, but caveat emptor.

Pipe Used: Lepeltier

DeathMetal.org Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeathMetal.org (120)

Summary: an intensely mild smoke that binds a balance of Burley and Virginia flavors with a light top note.

The nutty Burley and sweeter Virginia leaf combine into a warm natural flavor, onto which a light top note of liquor and cocoa/vanilla is applied. The mild Burley flavor gets partially absorbed into the Virginia, and vice-versa, creating a balance which is enhanced by the topping. As a result, "Carter Hall" makes a good all-day smoke with mild Nicotine and a pleasant lingering smell.

W. Carter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
W. Carter (6)

Nice everyday workhorse. If you are looking for a good burley with just a little toppings this is for you. Mild nutty taste with no tongue bite and nice nicotene hit. It leaves a nice taste in your mouth. It comes in a big 14 oz. tin and the price is low, around $26.00. If your an ex cig smoker (like me) and inhale occasionally it is very enjoyable. You might find yourself loading your bowl more often than usual, not because it burns too fast, it's that good. For me it's the best OTC blend and a every day smoke. Highly recommended!

Pipe Used: grabow grand duke with filter

Age When Smoked: 14 oz can

Purchased From: smokers outlet online

Similar Blends: Similar to Captain Black White but less nutty..

Black Sheep Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Black Sheep (25)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Carter Hall is pleasant, easy to smoke, and burns quite well. As far as mild, easy on the tongue Burley blends are concerned, this is a good one. The 1.5 oz pouch I recently bought is the first Carter Hall I tried, and I am not disappointed in the purchase. The one drawback is that it is not terribly flavorful, so if your an English blend smoker, but want something fairly robust, this is probably not it. However, for those occasions when a soft and light smoke is called for, I think Carter Hall will do nicely.

Pipe Used: Billiard

Theosprey247 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Theosprey247 (69)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Carter Hall is one of the classics along with PA and SWR. Like those two packs easily (no fancy fold twist and stuff here folks), lights easy and doesn't require many relights (if any). My primitive taste buds were able to pick up hint of chocolate. It doesn't cost much and you get way more than you pay with this blend. Is it an all day everyday smoke? No 'cause that would get boring! Highly Recommended.

Pipe Used: Briars

Purchased From: Down the street

Similar Blends: Prince Albert (sort of).

Geronimo Von Klaus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Geronimo Von Klaus (76)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

What is there to say that hasn't been said before?

The best drugstore blend that I have tried. More depth than SWR and H&H, no bite like Sail, Troost and the others have.

Surprisingly rich and deep. Decent quality burley, very nice aroma and the casing is added with a light hand. The concoction is distinct. It's sweet, mellow and very distinguishable from other blends with a characteristic scent that most of us will know from being around old-timers who smoke this exclusively.

No bite, but it does get a touch dirty and bitter if you push it. I have tried a lunchtime smoke with this more than once and found the aftertaste alters drastically if you powersmoke it. It's best early in the day, outdoors with some sweet tea or coffee.

No huge Nic hit, all in all very easy and nice.

Every piper should have a drum of this on hand!

mayor91 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mayor91 (3)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Excellent OTC. Probably the best, and certainly my favorite. I never find it running hot, even with my habit of overpuffing. Good burley and virginia taste. Smells like it has a deep fruit casing, but that does not come through in the smoke. Fairly mild, but excellent with a bit of good quality, higher proof bourbon. They really play off each other.

Pipe Used: Wessex Bristol (Dublin Shape)

Age When Smoked: 6 mo.

Purchased From: Local Grocery

Similar Blends: Pinkerton Tobacco Co. - Granger, Brown & Williamson - Sir Walter Raleigh, The Country Squire Tobacconist - Cherokee .

pipes_and_whisky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipes_and_whisky (2)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I had heard so much about this stuff for so many years. Mostly positive. So I finally got my hands on some. (Had to order online since its not available here in Japan).

I've been a pipe smoker for around 5 years and tried around 40 different blends. Just to give you an idea of my taste here are some of my favourites: Frog Morton on the town, 7 seas regular, macbaren Vanilla...)

So...first 2 bowls were a little disappointing. I thought I might end up throwing the stuff out. There really wasn't anything special there. (Sorry...I am not good at describing all the various flavours and room notes).

3rd bowl was not bad. Smooth. Easy to smoke. And...something about the simplicity of it...that grows on you.

By the 4th...I was won over. Even 7 seas regular I can't smoke all day long. Becomes a little too much for me. But this stuff I can smoke 2 or 3 bowls a day (usually one is enough for me).

Now...it's my daily smoke. Occasionally I feel like something more exciting...but this is my meat and potatoes (or daily rice in Japan).

Great stuff.

I recommend it. But give it a chance...it will grow on you.

Pipe Used: Corn cob, briar churchwarden

Mos6502 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mos6502 (4)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I have to judge Carter Hall relative to its OTC brethren.

I have not much to commend it, not much fault to find in it either. It is simple, the taste is light, it won't bite - although it can get very bitter if you puff too hard. It is a little sweeter than Prince Albert, but the flavor overall is lighter too. Sir Walter Raleigh and Captain Black are both more flavorful, although each is distinctly different from the other. I would hazard a guess though that the person who likes Carter Hall is more likely to enjoy Sir Walter Raleigh than they are to enjoy Captain Black.

Pipe Used: CC

Age When Smoked: right out of the pouch

Purchased From: Rite Aid

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (166)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a decent burley blend and will fit the bill if I'm out of tobacco and can only get to a drug store. (BTW this mixed 1/2 n 1/2 with captain black white is awesome). However, there are just better burley blends out there. 5 brothers is a better mixer. Prince Andrew is a better cheap burley blend.

Ronchoponcho Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ronchoponcho (1)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

I agree with some of the previous reviews. A well used corn cob with a bowl full of Carter Hall pipe tobacco, a glass scotch and a good book ... Now that's heaven! Easy to smoke, no bite, smokes right down to the bottom of the bowl with no relighting, and just the right aroma, very mild, not overpowering. My wife even likes it, though she hates my cigars.

Pipe Used: Corn Cob

Purchased From: Tobacco store in Plymouth, Mass

Similar Blends: Have not found one close to the mildness. Great for beginners, won't scare them off. Best thing about Carter Hall is they are right ...... No bite!.

Kyrob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kyrob (41)

Opening a 15 month old pouch of Carter Hall I was greeted with light brown finely cut ribbons in various shades and lengths. It was a little dry, but not too dry, what I consider perfect. It smelled of a Hershey’s chocolate bar with a light nuttiness, maybe more like a candy bar wrapper. An unlit sip was oily and nutty, and the charring light brought a fragrant sweetness. Overall this is a very consistent blend. There are no frills, just nutty burley and sweet Virginia. This pouch had the burley front and center with the Virginia playing backup and pretty much tasted like a fresh pouch. The sweetness of the Virginia reminded me of cane sugar, sweet, natural, and clean. The finish was short and left an oily mouth feel. The room note is pleasant, it reminds me of my grandparent’s home, and it left the room smelling clean and fragrant. I use this blend to break in pipes all the time, it seems to build a nice cake and there is no noticeable ghosting. I’d recommend Carter Hall to anyone wanting a straightforward, no frills codger blend or looking for a good blend to break in pipes.

Age When Smoked: 1 Year 3 Months

slashes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
slashes (13)

This is a great all day smoke , easy to load and light and stays lit with minimal relights if any. The flavor is mostly nutty burley with a slight sweetness. Smokes great in a cob and is excellent with a cup of coffee.

Pipe Used: Cobs and Briars

Age When Smoked: Fresh off the shelf

Purchased From: Local store

Der Pfeifenraucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Der Pfeifenraucher (63)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

I picked up a pouch of Carter Hall a while ago on a whim on the way out of the gas station. I had a recent go with Prince Albert that pleasantly surprised so I decided to spend three weeks worth of pipes on Carter Hall. The handling properties of CH are just what I like. just smash a wad of weed in the bowl, light, and go. Stays lit and allows your mind to pursue other endeavors if you want to. Flavor of the stuff, though, does fall short of acceptable. I considered tossing the pouch halfway through but stuck it out if only for a fair review. I found it to burn a little hot, and it tasted a lot like cigarettes after the first third. Life is too short and there are too many other tobaccos to try, I won't be getting this one again. Especially when Prince Albert is sitting right next to it on the shelf.

Pipe Used: crusty old cob

Age When Smoked: new?

Purchased From: gas station

Uban Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uban (53)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

All my favorites cost ten times what this stuff does, but it has its place. If you are looking for a nice, easy, break-in tobacco, this can be it. If you want something for the car, likewise. To burn the unpleasant taste of of a ghost out of a used pipe, go for it. Not great, but definitely good; just a bit sweet, just a bit aromatic, just a bit cased, just a bit moist, just a bit nutty, etc. For the price, a winner.

Pipe Used: Cob, clay

Age When Smoked: Who knows?

Purchased From: Walmart

Similar Blends: Walnut, a little, PA, a little, SWR, a little, but better..

Bonneville Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bonneville (49)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Odd that after reviewing a dozen or so "premium" blends I choose to review this one- a drug store blend that everybody's grandpa smoked. It is this reason that I decided to pick up a pouch and try it- for historic insight.

Frankly, I was surprised by this stuff. I actually enjoy smoking it. Some pluses are that it packs easily and burns extremely well. The taste is pretty mono but smooth and creamy. For these reasons, it would make a great starter baccy for those just starting to smoke a pipe. It will help train you in proper packing technique.

2 stars for you experienced smokers who like English and Virginia blends but are either feeling adventurous or can't find anything else.

4 stars for those who are beginners, or those who like simple straightforward and readily available tobacco

3 stars average

Pipe Used: Eriksen Keystone

Purchased From: Beehive Cigars

Similar Blends: Prince Albert, Kentucky Club.

Mark Andrew Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mark Andrew (4)

I am new to pipe smoking, but I think this tobacco is quite pleasant for an OTC. It's definitely a mild smoke all around, but it's not so mild that you feel like you're smoking steam. The smoke it gives off is thick and creamy, with a hint of sweetness and no nasty chemical after taste. It definitely could have some more "pizazz" but by no means is this blend unpleasant to me. Good buy at a great price!

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cob, "The Legend"

Age When Smoked: Just opened

Purchased From: Smoke shop

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (110)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I purchased a pouch simply for nostalgia and due to its low price. I hadn't smoked this since the early 1970's. Unfortunately, the taste hasn't changed much: strangely topped low grade burley. The company used to seal the pouch, they no longer do that, leaving it free to breathe through the box and loose cellophane overwrap. I'm guessing it's to finish the insufficient curing, judging by bitter ammonia notes. Maybe my pouch needed another year of offfgassing.

Wherever this is found for sale in the US, Prince Albert will be located within 18 inches of it. Do yourself a favor and select that instead.

3/2015 update: 8 months in the back of my car apparently finished curing it, no more ammonia or greenness. Several tobaccos have this property, I usually find them among C&D tinned blends, including Pease's. Unlike them, I buy OTC's for immediate consumption. I'll enjoy the rest of the pouch because it is a good smoke once cured, and even add a star, but I wouldn't buy it again.

Age When Smoked: fresh, 8 months later

Purchased From: state line cigarette/beer store

Backwoods Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Backwoods Piper (70)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

As mentioned in Pipe Stud's review this is an excellent blend for breaking in a new pipe. This is a premium burly that is a perfect smoke anytime. CH burns bite free and somewhat fast as most burly's do and as previously mentioned in other reviews has a great no nonsense tobacco flavor. CH is cased with a small amount of vanilla and gives it a sweet nutty flavor. I Have been smoking CH for years I love the aroma too, takes me back to a simpler time.

Pipe Used: Cobs and Briars

Purchased From: pipesandncigars.com and otc

Palermo09 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Palermo09 (21)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Tolerable

Not a fan of this tobacco. Very one dimensional in that it has no flavor. No nicotine kick for me which would at least give it something. I tried using it to blend with other blends, but even then it brought nothing to the table.

Pipe Used: Various

Purchased From: Pharmacy

TnRooster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TnRooster (15)

I bought a pouch after hearing good things about it. Smoked it a couple of times, put it in a drawer and forgot about it. About 6-7 months later, I stumbled across it in the drawer. I pulled it out, not wanting to waste it and was pleasantly surprised at how smooth and nutty it had become. It was really tasty. Now I stock up on it( only $2.50 a pouch in my area) and eagerly await it getting some age to it. I can't get over how good the flavor had become. Hope it wasn't a fluke and the others come out just as nice!

Talltree Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talltree (24)

I like mild virginia and burley tobaccos but frankly they all seem on the dull side. Carter Hall is the mildest tobacco I have ever smoked and it has a surprisingly good flavor. No nicotine dizziness and no mouth bite - just pleasant through the end of the bowl. I buy it by the tub.

It doesn't really seem like an aromatic. Carter Hall's tin note is like chocolate and orange. There is certainly something added which keeps it moist in the tub. This doesn't seem to hurt its flavor. I've tried a lot of exotic blends but always come back to CH. Solid, consistent, and a tasty mild smoke. A solid 4 stars and the foundation of my rotation.

Pipe Used: best in a corn cob, or dry in a briar

Age When Smoked: fresh out the tub

Purchased From: 4 noggins

Similar Blends: whichever retailer has the best online price, including shipping.

gibsonisbetter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gibsonisbetter (1)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

took me a couple occasional bowls to get used to this one but it is very pleasant . i live in a dorm so i have to go out to my car to enjoy smoking the pipe but the next day i love the note this blend leaves in the car, however im still a diehard latakia blend fan haha

Pipe Used: MY pipe

Purchased From: liberty tobacco, california

Steden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steden (94)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I was gifted of CH by Clarkus (Steve, thanks again) and I’m glad he did. Review number 300! Everything has been wrote about CH, so no surprise: a mild and comfortable blend, nutty and chocolatey but not too sweet, there's even a bit of sapidity (expecially in a meer) and others subtleties, it doesn’t bites at all and doesn’t get bitter toward the end as some Burleys do. My only complain is the topping, not bad but it doesn’t fit my preferences, luckily it’s a mild touch and disappears after a few puffs.

Pipe Used: cob, meer, briars

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (136)

An excellent basic blend and value. Pleasant change-up when you are partaking of blends intended to be more complex. Particularly when sipped, CH delivers complexity and depth, that you don't have to search for. The nutty burley and Virginia component complement each other quite well. Burns clean and easy. I also use GH in a blend with equal parts Granger and Sunset Breeze, as a break-in blend. 4 stars.

Age When Smoked: Purchased 3 months ago

Purchased From: Corona Smoke Shop, Battle Creek, MI

Hunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hunter (52)

Your basic burley blend. Slightly nutty, smokes easily without having to think about it much. Works well in a cob. Burns clean and is nice to the people around you. I buy CH occasionally for a nice car-smoke.

Pipe Used: Cob, briar

tleek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tleek (48)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend definitely has its place. It is a simple burly blend with enough virginias to take away the bitterness burly can develop and add a level of sweetness.

This tobacco tastes the way hay or fresh cut grass smells, with a layers of nuttiness and sweetness.

A simple smoke that works well with your morning coffee,in between smokes, or when you have something to do.

For example, I am a college student and am currently enrolled in an online class. I just went through a bowl while I worked through some of my assignments. I enjoyed every puff and packed up another pipe to smoke while I finish.

Its that kind of smoke. The kind you do not need to concentrate on, but is nonetheless incredibly satisfying. It burns to nothing on one or two lights, smokes cool, and requires little to no maintenance.

I am a tobacco snob, and have smoked and reviewed many blends. dont turn your nose up to this tobacco, or an of the other american classics for that matter just because you can get them at walgreens for four dollars.

They have there place, just as coca-cola and bud light do.

Of the drugstore blends I have tried, this is by far the best!

Tplumm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tplumm (39)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

A straightforward no frills smoke. Love the cut, easy packing and stays lit well.

edit Years later after revisiting this blend, I'm bumping it up to 4 stars. Its not a end-all smoke but hey, its good, basic, classic. I smoke this when I'm working around the yard or doing something with my hands and don't really want to think about what I'm smoking. I've come to consider it an old friend, and the king of the drugstore blends. Its also a very forgiving tobacco.

onemangang Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
onemangang (1)

This is my first review! I've been reading this site for years. I've smoked a pipe since 1987. I normally smoke Va's/VaPers but after reading the many reviews for CH, I had to give it a go.

I was driving down the road enjoying my first bowl of this stuff in a Stanwell when the perfect description hit me.

I used to ride mountain bikes and enjoyed high-end equipment. For some reason, I sold my mountain bike and got a beach cruiser. When I ride my cruiser, I don't have to wear lycra shorts and other technical gear. I can ride my cruiser in my flip-flops and a floppy hat WHILE drinking a daiquiri if I so choose.

Carter Hall is the equivalent of a beach cruiser in a world of exotic bikes. I think I'll go put on my flip flops and floppy hat, make a daiquiri, fire up some more CH and hop on my cruiser. This stuff is eeeeeaaaaasy.

PhillyB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PhillyB (65)
Very Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I can honestly say that this tobacco is the one that made me absolutely sure that I loved pipe smoking. The first I tried was Lane's "Black Cherry", which was okay but nothing special. This blend may not exactly be mind blowing complicated but the simple flavors that it does have are very good. Smells of raisins and mild chocolate with walnuts. Taste predominantly nuts and chocolate with very little of the raisin coming through. Smell is just of mild and sweet tobacco and has become popular in my family of non-smokers. I keep plenty on hand because I go through it pretty quickly. Definitely recommend that everybody at least try it.

Also recommend it if you have a stinky pipe that you need to get back to neutral or are breaking in a new one. It has been through every pipe I own and smokes well in all of them.

Pipe Used: All

puddlepirate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puddlepirate (11)

More reveiws for this than most other blends. I can only say that this is not only a great old -time blend, but is actaully an American icon. fire-up that cob young man...

CoreyR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoreyR (28)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

CH may be an "OTC" and all of the "tobacco snobs" can look down their noses at it but after twenty years I still enjoy a bowl full. I find this to be my old baseline, against which all other tobaccos are measured. It usually smokes dry, burns all the way through with one light, has a very pleasant room note and very little, if any, bite. The flavor is what tobacco should be. TOBACCO. Short and simple. Over all, an excellent beginer tobacco as well as a fall back for "old hands." I always keep some in stock. Great for fishing from the canoe too.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Carter Hall… God only knows how many pounds of this stuff I must have smoked over the years, I just now figured I would pass along my opinion of this time proven classic tobacco. IMHO this is a tobacco lovers delight. I can think of no other blend that has fit so many occasions, or that I never seem to tire of over the long haul as this CH. Smoked with some basic technique I find this CH quite enjoyable, this blend and several others have been my "go-to" tobaccos for a long-long time.

atomicbuster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
atomicbuster (55)

First off, the reason I rate this tobacco at four stars is because it's the one I've had the least problems with. This means a lot when you've had problems with other, more expensive and renowned blends. I've read, possibly on this site, that smokers may react differently to a tobacco based on their body chemistry. I don't know if that's true, but I do know people have different tastes and preferences. Here's what this blend does well for me. 1) The price is more than fair. 2) The pouch is at least sealed. 3) The pouch aroma is great. To me it smelled like the cordial, chocolate-covered cherries. 4) It was not too moist in the pouch and it dried quickly and easily. 5) For me it does not bite at all unless I make an effort to make it happen, and it's only possible towards the end of the bowl. 6) The casing is so lite that you almost have to imagine the subtle, sweet flavoring. 7) Burns well and even with maybe one relight. 8) Nice room note. 9) Maintains quality for a long time. 10) Lastly, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, this blends leaves almost no aftertaste. Hahhhh-lleluyah! So far it's my favorite OTC blend. I will definitely buy this again.

Elwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Elwin (12)

Carter Hall is the standard by which I judge all other Drug Store blends. Minimal use of preservatives, clean tobacco that has little, if any, toppings/casings, and naturally sweet without overpowering. And while a pretty decent smoke on it's own, it also makes a great blender base for taming wilder, more bite prone blends.

hockey01 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hockey01 (29)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Plain as a mud fence and totally inoffensive, this blend is just like an old friend: easy to have around, reliable, and you can spend all day with it. There's a reason your Grandpa liked his Carter Hall and wrinkled his nose whenever you lit up your "foo-foo" blend that cost four times the price.

A good 'ol American blend and long may it wave.

DakotaPeacePipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DakotaPeacePipe (33)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

More that a few reviewers have likened this blend to a sweetened version of Prince Albert. I tend to agree. Nice burley blend, simple all day smoke. The sweetness I detect in this blend is of the same fermented nature I find in another Middleton blend - Sugar Barrel. However the sweetness in Cater Hall is much subdued as compared to its Sugar Barrel cousin, and I do not detect the ashiness found as the bowl progresses with SB. There is much to like with Carter Hall and little to fault, this would easily deserve 3 ½ stars if that were an option, I cant give it 4 stars as that would put it on equal footing with my beloved Prince Albert.

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (94)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I have to say, im a little disappointed with this one. I love burley blends,and puff on them daily. I found the cut to be fairly inconsistant, as well as poor grade tobacco seemed to be used as filler(large chunks and sticks). Upon opening the pouch i found the smell pleasant, kinda nutty(pecans and cashews)and somewhat hoppy, almost malty.After doing the three finger pinch, i found this blend to be a little dry, but i understand some like it that way. It packed well, and stayed lit all the way through, it tasted of good stout or porter with mild accents of walnuts,but not too overpowering as to take away form the burley flavour(i dont think this blend is cased, the flavouring must just be the properties of this specific tobacco) Around mid-bowl i found it to get a little hot, although i tend to smoke a little fast.Towards the last half, the "burley bitters" showed their ugly head, and i opted to dump the bowl and re-pack.(typical of drugstore burleys)I did purchase several pouches, and my review may change after i finish them all. I also realize that buying the tub may offer a fresher, moister tabac, and more consistant baccy, as ive came to this conclusion with other blends as well. I prefer Half&Half and Prince albert, but i would buy this again as a change of pace. Its worth a try!

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (91)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

While this is a typical "drug store" smoking mixture, it is perhaps one of the best. Introduced nationally in early 1957, it gained wide acceptance quickly. First and foremost, like many of the Middleton tobaccos, they have done a far better job at maintaining consistency than many of the other manufacturers for this type of pipe tobacco.

I am not a great fan of Burley tobaccos however, I do use them to build a cake and do cycle them in my regular rotation of matured Virginia plug tobaccos.

Room note is pleasant enough and I find I can smoke this in any pipe without any real worry of departing specific taste to the pipe. For a Burley it burns very clean and with the high sugar content it carbonizes well. I do tend to keep this tobacco moist which slows the burn rate down a notch or two.

It adapts well to any size pipe but I prefer a larger group 5 type bowl most often. Certainly cost is a factor and as many reviewers have noted this, it is a bargin. This is a higher quality Burley than most in this classification, and perhaps that is indeed the real bargin.

...a pipe is to be savored...

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (123)

This old-time drug store blend has its positive features: simple, uncomplicated, readily available, and burns well. But the fruit top-note just doesn't appeal to me that much. I really enjoy burleys, and there are better ones out there that are still straightforward and old-fashioned.

Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (80)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Update: Any blend containing significant amounts of propylene glycol makes me ill, very ill. I like the taste and aroma and price of Carter Hall. Its a straight Burley, and a good one, but the ppg makes me sick everytime. ---- At least I think its the ppg that makes me sick, if not, it is something else common to the several drugstore blends that I can no longer smoke, Prince Albert, Captn Black, etc. I become extremely nauseous after smoking these blends. They leave a specific after taste I can't describe that always accompanys my nausea.

Carter Hall is otherwise a simple, satisfying, affordable, and readily available smoke.

2 stars for me.

I can get this stuff for $1.89/pouch locally.

That alone gets it 2 stars.

I hope it doesn't skyrocket in popularity anytime soon or else they'll start taxing it at $6/pouch.

Thanks,

Ethan

Pkloop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pkloop (52)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

I occasionaly smoke this blend in the summer heat. Tastes along the same lines as Prince Albert with what I feel is a slight fruity taste. You can do better and much worse. Will do in a pinch. But not something I keep around for cellaring. Hey its a cheap and readily available pipe tobacco which is becoming increasingly rare..at least in these parts.

Tjbjr18 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tjbjr18 (4)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Has a nice smell right out of the pouch stays lit pretty good not harsh does not bite as a nice kind of molasses sweetness to it and a nice nutty after taste like a good Burley find this to be my second favorite Burley to Sir Walter Raleigh but a very highly recommended smoke for a first-time pipe smoker will be buying this and keeping it in my stock

Pipe Used: Stillwell. Natural cob Savinelli

Purchased From: Gas station

Similar Blends: Sir Walter Raleigh Prince Albert.

Assassin1999 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Assassin1999 (3)

One of my favs! This should be in every pipe smoker's cabinet, humidor, sock drawer, or whatever. It packs and lights easily, and takes minimal effort to keep it lit. Burns all day long without being hot. I never get tongue bite with this. It's a simple blend. Lightly aromatic, not too flavorful, but very pleasant all the way around. Daily smoker.

Pipe Used: Briar, Meerschaum

Age When Smoked: New from pouch

Purchased From: local tobacconist

Similar Blends: Just try it!.

renwardhoop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renwardhoop (106)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Not available in the UK. My son brought some back from the States.

I have only a couple of bowls-worth therefore to base this review on.

As an OTC in the US this does compare favourably with equivalent blends in this country, but then it doesn't have much competition.

This is a soft mixture, mild on the palate and easy burning. There is a friendly malty fragrance so unlike anything I have tried before. It doesn't have much in the way of taste, but I would certainly be dragging this out on a regular basis if I had a whole pouch to play with.

Pipe Used: All

Purchased From: Gifted

CnS Pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CnS Pipes (39)

CARTER HALL V2.0 of 2018

Carter Hall one of America's old school pipe tobaccos been around for a coon's age l'll tell you what, this brand is part of American smoking culture and the history is rich. Mostly made of burley and a dash of Virginia this lightly topped blend keeps it simple but smooth with a over all nice sweet taste that just goes great with a black cup of coffee. The only thing I ponder on is what Carter Hall once tasted like in the good old days before it was mass produced? I was really thinking about this when I purchased a pouch and pulled out a uncut press sheet of tobacco which as a tobacconist tells me a whole bunch of things. Tobacco is processed into a sheet much like cigarette tobacco is because the companies use fillers and additives to keep up with supply and demand especially if they do not out source there tobaccos and mostly stick with American grown tobacco. I found out that Carter Hall through what I found does the very same, I'm not surprised by any means but this was the first time I ever pulled out a piece of press sheet because I'm sure they work hard to make sure all there pipe tobaccos are shredded very well. From the company that brings you Black n Milds there pipe tobacco products are just as processed so your not getting 100% pure natural shredded tobacco, with that being said who really knows what your smoking and what they truly put in this pipe tobacco, I am sure that in the old days this was not a common practice because there was no need to do this to tobacco unlike today. Carter Hall is still a nice good quality pipe tobacco and will deliver a mellow smoke with a mild nicotine dose and a neutral room note that is not bad at all. It can be a all day smoke but I personally would stick with a more pure form of pipe tobacco for that and not because Carter Hall is bad but because I do not care to smoke unknowns which is why I quit smoking cigarettes so keep that in my if your new to pipe smoking. All and all this is a good old fashion style pipe tobacco that I would recommend because it taste pretty dang good and does not bite and goes great with coffee. Carter Hall is also great for blending and adding to other pipe tobaccos for whatever reason you can think up. If your a burley fan and I am a burley fan then Carter Hall is a good choice and still delivers a nice burley taste, its very neutral and does well in just about any pipe and does not leave a after effect in taste in a bowl and is good for even breaking in a new pipe for that very reason. There is not much more to say about this pipe tobacco blend because its really not that complex its just smooth and sweet. I give it a thumbs up, thanks for reading my review God bless all you fellow pipe smokers and God bless America, stand up for your right to smoke and support your American tobacco growers.

Pipe Used: MM Corn Cob and BPK

Age When Smoked: 39

Purchased From: Barneys in Pinehurst Idaho

Cherry picker 1779 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cherry picker 1779 (18)

Decent burley Virginia blend. Mild and very nutty. Kind of like a cigarette with some added sweetness. I've used it in mix with squadron leader when I bought my first tin of SL because fresh it was biting me pretty bad. I actually really enjoyed this mix of flavor between the two as at the time I was new to English blends. This is a good tobacco in a cob and my first weekend smoking it was while camping deep in the woods of northwestern Pennsylvania. A leisurely cob slowly smoldering with carter hall was a good experience for me at the time. Solid 2 stars. Very nutty stuff.

JustPlainChris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustPlainChris (12)
Mild Medium Medium Tolerable

Carter Hall! It's been around forever, and there's a good reason for that: it's tasty, inexpensive, readily available everywhere, and delivers a consistent smoke from box to box. (Or tub to tub.) So what's with the name?

Carter Hall pipe tobacco owes its namesake to an actual estate in Virginia bearing the same name; Stonewall Jackson once headquartered there during the American Civil War, and the property has also been home to a Secretary of State who served under President George Washington.

While these days of history have long since come and gone, the Carter Hall blend itself remains. There's a reason this blend has withstood the test of time, and it's a simple one:

It's relatively inexpensive, widely available, packs easily, burns easily, tastes good, and satisfies.

It's great for what it is, which is a Burley-based blend with a smattering of Virginia leaf and a cocoa/liquor casing. This "alcohol" pouch note fades quickly once lit, and that's a good thing, as the sweet cocoa and tobacco flavors are the stars of this show.

And while it is a cased blend, it's not your typical "aromatic"; the tobacco is not sticky or moist, and has a fairly perfect moisture content right out of the "luxury pouch".

The tobacco might even appear to be too dry, but don't worry, it's not. This pouch comes opened and unsealed (inside the box), but is nonetheless safe and sound within the cellophane-sealed box in which it is sold. (It's also available in a large tub.)

Edit Others have insisted that the pouch comes sealed when newly bought, but all five boxes of C.H. that I purchased and smoked contained open pouches inside.

It packs easily, lights easily, stays lit, and leaves just a bit of moisture and the occasional smallish lump of dottle in the bottom of the bowl.

Take it slow and steady with your puffing, and tongue bite shouldn't be an issue. And while Carter Hall is somewhat forgiving of the occasional absent-minded fast puffer, like any tobacco, it might get upset if you keep up your freight train cadence.

The room note probably won't win you any new friends, but isn't anywhere near as bad as many "top shelf" boutique blends.

The price is very, very reasonable, and I'm sure you will agree. It's usually sold next to the other "over the counter" pipe tobacco blends like Prince Albert, Half and Half, etc. I like Carter Hall much more than its royal cousin, Albert- "Prince" title notwithstanding.

And while I mentioned that Carter Hall is artificially cased with a sweet, chocolate topping, you can still taste the tobacco, and quite frankly, it tastes just fine.

As others have mentioned, this stuff absolutely sings when paired with a good cup of coffee! I usually smoke Carter Hall first thing in the morning with that first cup of black coffee.

The Burleys are nutty, mildly bitter, and slightly sweet to my palate, while the very light addition of Virginia leaf accentuates the Burley tones with a natural tobacco sweetness. The Virginia accent comes and goes throughout the smoke with hints of bright honey.

The added cocoa topping seems to ebb and flow throughout the smoke, and I find this to be a good thing, as I enjoy the natural counterpoint of the Virginia, which seems to hold the line until the chocolate flavoring reenters the room.

Others have mentioned the utilitarian uses of this legendary pipe tobacco, like its ability to remove pesky ghosts from stubborn pipes and a tendency to build cake rather quickly.

I put that last claim to the test, and can confirm it; I had a very nice little layer of carbon lining my new pipe's walls after only six or so smokes. (Half bowl, half bowl, three quarter bowl, three quarter bowl, etc.)

Carter Hall might not be a good candidate for seriously refined palates, but my own appreciates it for what it is:

Affordable, consistent, tasty, and easily and quickly aquired. A great "mowing the lawn" smoke, etc. A beauty when shaking off a night's sleep with a good cup of joe.

An admirable three stars.

Pipe Used: Cob, meer, five briars

Purchased From: Local "discount tobacco outlet"

Similar Blends: Chatham Manor.

Joe O'Brien Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joe O'Brien (4)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

This has been reviewed to death, so I won't bother with the details but will instead try to offer a new piper's experience. This is only the 3rd blend I've smoked.

Carter Hall packs great, burns great, and delivers a consistent tobacco flavor. As someone who previously only ever smoked cigars, this is a little too cigarette-tasting for me, but I don't blame the tobacco. This was a really great introduction to a style, IMO. I smoked some Old Joe Krantz after this, and I'm glad I had the Carter first. I feel like I know what burley is now. It's not my cup of tea (I'm gravitating towards Latakia), but it's a great way to get your bearings and learn the landscape.

And in my experience it can save a lot of syrupy OTC blends. I got some French Vanilla aromatic in a bundle and did not like it much. Mixing it with the Carter Hall has saved the pouch for me, giving it a more respectable tobacco flavor that makes the cavendish and the topping more tolerable. I've done the same with my remaining stock of CBW.

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the luxury pouch.

Purchased From: Behind the bongs at my local garbage shop.

PhantomWolf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PhantomWolf (38)

I admittedly bought this as a novelty. It smelled pleasant enough, so I put the bag in my pocket for a night of drinking.

I dislike most aromatics and burley blends for that matter, but this is very pleasant. The topping is fairly mild and is reminiscent of bananas, sugar cookies, or maybe a pleasant envelope glue. The topping lasts for most of the smoke and accents the honest, nutty, no-frills tobacco flavour of the burley. Mild woody, grassy Virginia is just noticeable. Easy smoking, easy packing, perfectly dry, CHEAP blend with a generous nic-hit that you can chug without tongue-bite. This could be a new staple for me on nights such as these. Grab a bag and tell me your $2.50 was misspent. This is as good as it gets for the money. A great-all day smoke for any budget.

I'm rating this based on what it tries to achieve and how close it comes to achieving that. I'd say Carter Hall is dead on target. I'm giving this one 4 stars.

Age When Smoked: Fresh Pouch

Purchased From: Smoke Shop Near Camp

DC MacBean Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DC MacBean (29)

A well behaved Burley that stays lit, burns cool; does not bite, and burns completely, leaving no moisture in the bowl. Carter Hall is much better than I expected it to be. Far better than Prince Albert in my opinion. I blend it with hot burning, bitey, aromatics to make them behave, and an 80/20 mixture of Carter Hall and Blending Perique is really a good combination.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum

Purchased From: United Grocery Store

Col. Stuffinpuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Col. Stuffinpuff (14)

For what it is, it's not too bad. It has a mild sweetness that persists, and a slight nuttiness for the majority of the bowl. Burns cool and won't bite, despite how hard you puff trying to coax a little more flavor out of this blend.

If it weren't just as expensive as some outstanding C&D blends in bulk (Old Joe Krantz), then I could see myself having this on hand all the time. In light of that, i would still recommend this for the times you're interested in something light and sweet, despite the taste of burning PG in the background.

Raizel_234 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Raizel_234 (8)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

What can I say about this American classic that hasn't been said already? It's not complex by any means, but for me that's the appeal. It's mild, nutty and slightly sweet. Some folks claim its topped with cocoa and bourbon and it may well be. I do get occasional whifs of chocolate but none of the bourbon. What makes this blend really stand out for me is that it's very easy to smoke. Once you get it going it really doesn't need any future attention. Also almost bite free. You really have to be yanking on it to get it to bite, and even then the bite is mild. To be truly appreciated this needs to be smoked in a cob, it works well in a briar, but a cob really makes it shine. Pair it with a cup of coffee on a crisp autumn morning and you have a bit of heaven. Overall this is one the few blends I recommend everyone try.

Pipe Used: Cobs and one Edwards briar

Purchased From: Ingles super market

Similar Blends: Prince Albert is the closest to this blend but not quite as sweet..

papapauly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
papapauly (24)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I love the classic American pipe tobaccos. Prince Albert is my favorite one of these old blends, but to me Carter hall is basically a milder Prince Albert. I wanted to like this one, and really didn't dislike it but it was not unique so I never went back to it. I may try it again someday but for the American classics this one ranks toward the bottom for me. Nothing really wrong with it but nothing really right either

Pipe Used: Missouri meerschaum

Purchased From: walgreens

Similar Blends: Prince albert.

dixcreek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dixcreek (103)

Another review on my journey through the old America Burley Blends. Carter Hall is another classic. Yes, it's Burley. Yes it's available just about anywhere. Yes it is one of those that a lot of the older guys smoked. Yes it gets some bad reviews, but I will tell you it is a mighty fine smoke. Good Burley with a bourbon and cocoa top note. Packs well, burns good and tastes like a champ. This one is worth the price of admission in my book. Not a big nicotine kicker, just a good simple smoke. I guess this blend works because there are many blends that start with Carter Halls base formula. Oft copied but never duplicated. If you are a Burley guy or gal grab you a pouch and fire it up.

Pipe Used: Cobs and classic American Briars

Age When Smoked: New to many moons old

Purchased From: Various local stores

SuccinctSimilarities Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SuccinctSimilarities (4)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

One of my all time favorite tobaccos. Very creamy. Also very cheap at around 3-4$ an oz at P&C. Very mild taste yet highly recommended. Quality

Pipe Used: Brebbia Ninja

Purchased From: Pipes&Cigars

The Pipe Sigh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Pipe Sigh (2)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

This is a nice OTC burley blend. It's simple and pure. The Virginia is only there to keep the burley lively and flavorful, shifting away only slightly from a one-dimensional experience, and burning slow and even to a fine white ash. It's nutty and buttery, slightly creamy. That's really all there is to it. It only occasionally needs to be relit, is perfect for hot days, and is wonderful in the morning with coffee. I keep a tub for when I'm in the mood for something light but tasty.

Pipe Used: MM cob, Savinelli, Bjarne

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: www.windycitycigars.com

Nwpipesmker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nwpipesmker (27)
Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Overwhelming

Never thought of trying carter hall, read some reviews saw it at my local drugstore though meh? Five dollars why not? It has a great aroma kinda like spiced plum pudding. Very good taste light smoke very smooth. Will buy this more often. A follow up the last few pouches I bought are like smoking cigarettes and the flavor ends about half way through. I want to update this I tried it once more. And people asked me if I was smoking cigarettes that's the room note of this nasty rotten floor scrap tobacco.

Purchased From: Drugstore

Similar Blends: Lucky strikes cigarettes.

EvetsNC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
EvetsNC (5)

I like this tobacco for its availability and its simplicity (IMHO). As an OTC, it rocks; if I am not able make it to the local-ish Tinder Box or JR Tobacco (both ~35 minutes from my house) and I desperately need to smoke my pipe, I turn to or would turn to Carter Hall. I think of this as a basic, pleasant, old school, mid-century American tobacco and take it for what it is. (I've only smoked the small pouch version, BTW.)

Age When Smoked: <1 year old

Purchased From: Rite Aid, Durham, NC

r Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
r (32)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable to Strong

Having tried Carter Hall after smoking quite a few pouches of Prince Albert, it's hard for me to avoid a comparison.

I find them both to be on par, with a great tobacco flavor and a distinguishable flavoring. Carter Hall is clearly more cocoa than plum (if any, although it shows up now and then). The burley dominates and I find it reminiscent of Marlboro cigarettes.

While they are both monotonous, Carter Hall is a tiny bit flatter in presence, a characteristic that is more than made up for by a sweet, chocolatey undertone.

Similar Blends: Prince Albert - Prince Albert.

ASmithee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ASmithee (20)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I can confirm that Carter Hall quickly builds a nice, even cake. CH is great for breaking in a new briar as people claim. It requires no re-lights but the burn and overall experience is more like a cigarette smoking than pipe smoking.

As a newbie pipe smoker, I am still acclimating to the various blends, tastes, and sensations of pipe tobacco and their variations in different types of pipes. I'm still struggling with experiencing the sensations others describe such as "smokey", "dry", "spicy", "full bodied", "creamy", etc. I'm just not there yet until I smoked CH.

I now understand what is meant by a "smooth" smoke. CH is consistent from beginning to end. There's only one note here -- it's the burley and light-sweet virginia that come through. The smoke is indeed smooth -- each draw delivers a consistent, mild flavor. No bite, no relighting, just a no-nonsense, simple smoke.

CH can be a let down for those "expecting" something, as it was for me at first. But it has grown on me and I now understand why this is a go-to blend for any occasion. The one negative I found is the similarity between this blend and cigarette tobacco.

Pipe Used: Rossi

Age When Smoked: pouch fresh

Purchased From: smoking pipes

guitar2mw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
guitar2mw (92)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I smoked this years ago whenever I started pipe smoking. I tried it because so many people recommended it. I liked it somewhat, but I have never quite understood what the hype was all about. The pouch note is of burleys with a slight grassy VA behind them. It packs well and burns evenly (albeit very quickly like most burley blends). The initial taste, to me, seemed very nutty...more than what I really enjoy. I could not really taste the sweetness that I smelled in the pouch, but I seem to always detect a slight maple aroma in the smoke. It is VERY slight, but to me, it's definitely present.

It isn't a bad smoke to have with morning coffee. Honestly though, I'd much rather have Prince Albert or Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic instead.

Pipe Used: Cobs, Grabows

Purchased From: Blue Ridge Smoke and Vapor, Wytheville, VA

Similar Blends: Prince Albert, Velvet, Sir Walter Raleigh.

old biker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
old biker (4)

My dad smoked this by the tub when he made the switch from PA which he smoked for years also. I have tried it several times and just can't call it "my favorite" . There is just one topping they put on it that I don't like. It's mild, burns slow, no tongue bite, nice room note- I just prefer PA over this. I am not one on flavoring - I just want the tobacco taste. But if I can't find PA I will look for this as the only substitute.

Pipe Used: corn cob/ hardwood

Purchased From: smoker's outlet

Similar Blends: Prince Albert.

This is a special review for me , it's my 50th brand (208 reviews) and it gets me my " Scholar Badge" so I had to find a memorable entry !!! Why not from the brand I smoked my first pipe , John Middleton ( cherry blend ) some 50 years ago. Well I decided I don't remember "Cherry Blend ", but I do remember that I don't want to remember Cherry blend, so I picked up a pouch of Carter Hall !!!

Why do all the OTC blends use that same topping ??? What is it ??? Whiskey/Vanilla ??? Doesn't Prince Albert use that also ??? It's always slathered over a Burley. Now "Mixture #79" used a different topping, wow ( funniest review I've ever read is "zulujerk 2006-02-10, on Mixture 79, go read it), do you mean to tell me they tried 78 others that weren't as good !!!!

Anyway, can you tell that I'm really not into bashing this blend or writing this review , sorry to waste your time but it's been an enjoyable 50 year ride. You really want to know about this blend .....read the other 300 reviews, someone likes it ( 26 favorites).

Age When Smoked: Brand spanking new

Purchased From: local

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (111)
Medium to Strong Medium Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I grabbed a some of this to try, since in the past I've enjoyed Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic from time to time.

This was not to my liking at all, the pH was out of control, feels like Wasps having a party on my tongue. Dumped the first bowl after a 8 or 9 puffs. Tried it again a few days later, same result. Tried it again about a week later in a different briar, same thing . . . dumped the reminder into the compost pile. Really glad I did not purchase the big tub.

Flinthills Tex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flinthills Tex (26)
Very Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Having read all your reviews, and having had good past experiences with PA, I tried Carter Hall. I found it rather boring and almost devoid of flavor, not even the mild nuttiness usually typical of Burley blends. It is smokable, but not really pleasing in any way. No big loss at drugstore prices, but I was let down.

Phonomet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phonomet (44)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant

I like it...but I didn't at first. At first I was put off by the middleton label and underestimated the smoke. In the realm of burleys this one is sweet and the virginias are present throughout. The pouch note is pleasant with a berry sweetness. The berries don't come through in the smoke, but no matter. It packs and burns well as most OTCs do. I'll purchase this again. If I were more poor than I am, I'd probably smoke this a lot more. But as it is, I have so many more tobaccos to explore. Upward and onward!

Joseph.G Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joseph.G (1)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

With all the reviews on this blend their is not much new to be said about it.It's a nothing special cheap OTC blend.Though a little plain it is still a good smoke.I have not experienced any bite and it smokes very smoothly.I would highly recommend it to a new pipe smoker as well as an experienced one.

thesmoggypipester Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thesmoggypipester (52)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I recieved two pouches of this along with a good selection of goodies from a very genorous member over from PSF.

I have been curious about this american staple for nearly a year. So when my package arrived i cracked a pouch open and had a smoke.

Opening the pouch its brown to dark brown cut small and smelling heavily of dark chocolate one might get from an upmarket chocolatier. I dont subscribe to the sterotypical brit smoking style of open pouch pack and light i like to let my baccy dry slightly if too moist. However carter hall is THE perfect moisture.

as soon as i put flame to this tobacco the result is nirvanic. A beautiful smoke creamy nutty and not a hint of bite or burley throat.

I was sat in an outdoor coffee shop the other day and tried it there. It partners exceptionally well with good coffee and it gets better and better.

The burn rate is just right not to fast you wonder were its gone and not to long you becomw bored. Carter hall has fast went to my top three tobaccos.

To be honest with you if this was readily available in England i would smoke the contents of my somewhat small cellar and smoke carter hall almost exclusively along with condor and louisiana flake it really is that good.

Highly highly recommended

Clive Moses Apikouris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Clive Moses Apikouris (38)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I first smoked a bowl of this classic tobacco over 40 years ago. unsophisticated all as I was at that time all I knew of was the "drugstore blends", SWR, PA, CB, and the worst of all, the vicious tongue scalding, sugary goop from Hell, Paladin Black Cherry. I saw a commercial on TV -"Carter Hall Means Fine Tobacco" (and girls liked the aroma!)and gave it a try and I liked it. However in the course of smoking pipes on and off over the years this stuff became forgotten in favor of other more highly regarded blends one could find at a tobacconist. However earlier today I picked some up at the local Rite Aid and gave it a whirl. I liked it, a lot. CH is smooth smoking, mild but flavorful and satisfying in a nice nutty Burley kind of way. Whatever topping is used is pleasant and unobtrusive. I decided next to try CH as a base for mixing up a personal blend. I took two parts CH and mixed it with one part Charring Cross, which I find alone to be too Latakia powerful and one part McClelland Mature Cake Mixture. The result was outstanding, I'm puffing away on it in my small Peterson Kapet as I write. Recommended. 3/21/2013 Update: I'm puffing away on this stuff and digging it. I've recently become very enamored with Burleys. I had almost forgotten that this was in my collection. I was about to load up some stuff that I brought back from JR Cigar in Detroit called Golden Oaks that is very good but remembered that I had some CH in a jar. I loaded up and well it's good, yes real good. I'm raising my rating to four stars here. This is an overlooked gem of a Burley.

Calam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Calam (5)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Reminds me very much of a cigarette. Flavor is mediocre, room note is ashy-smelling. It does burn well and burns even, which is probably it's only real plus in my book. Left a taste in my mouth like I'd just smoked a cheap cigar.

It wasn't a really bad experience or anything--especially given how cheap it is--it's just, meh. I'll probably give the rest of the pouch to a friend who likes it.

SWR is way tastier and smells better. If you had only 5 dollars and had to choose between the two, go with SWR. But if you're really determined to taste this, it won't hurt you.

ColonelStJames Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ColonelStJames (14)
Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant

When I got back into pipe smoking earlier this year, I was interested in trying as many of the "Drug Store" brands as I could find. The only trouble was the only brand my local drug stores seemed to carry was CBW. It wasn't exactly making my day, and my tongue hated me after the way a bowl of CBW treated it! Then I discovered this wonderful website, and my search for Carter Hall was on. I found it easily online, but finding it locally was really an issue. Finally, I came across it in a pouch at my local grocery store along with PA, H&H, and a whole case full of chewing tobacco! I lit up a bowl, and knew this was the one for me. No bite at all. The Burley flavor is wonderful and it's cased with something that makes it a lot more interesting to smoke than PA, SWR, H&H, and most other OTCs. It has a really nice, simple flavor. A real easy smoke. Then I smoked it around friends, and like the old Carter Hall TV ad used to say, "The chicks are back! Spread the word, the chicks are back!" The room note is very nice. Not exactly what I'd call an aromatic, but it just smells good. Since my first encounter with Carter Hall, I have tried several other OTCs, and I'm afraid they just don't cut it! Carter Hall is my "Drug Store" brand of choice. Oh, and even though I could get it in a tub cheaper online, I still but it at my grocery store. Kinda my way of saying thanks to them for carrying it. Carter Hall needs to be in the Hall of Fame!

manxman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manxman (57)

An honest tobacco that goes good with my morning coffee. And any later cup I enjoy, too. Fast burning, but not a hot smoke. No tongue bite for me. Probably useful for blending. Even though I only smoke aromatics I like this stuff. I'll buy it again. Produces a lot of nice white smoke. UPDATE: I have pissed off more than one bystander when smoking this.

Similar Blends: Five Brothers.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

i guess carter hall is aanother aromatic by definition (cased but no topping) the taste of middletons prince albert and carter hall are some what similar or perhaps its the burly tobacco being in the center stage.regardless, the room note is not pleasant. the blend packs easy and take fire easily and burn to the last shred and absloutly mild on the senses. i can see how that many people make it an all day smike. classic burly, nice pace of change!

salopst Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
salopst (15)
Extremely Mild None Detected Medium Tolerable

For a start, this is a no-nonsense tobacco in terms of packing and lighting. Stuff it 'n' puff it.

This is not a commonly found tobacco in England, but I had the pleasure of tobacco- swapping with someone from the US, and this CH amounted to really only my 2nd predominantly burley baccy, the first being Old Joe Krantz.

I find it nutty, a little bit mouldy smelling (which is not necessarily a bad thing), and overall nicely simple, if a touch boring.

Picking a recommendation for this is tricky. I'd really like to see along recommendation (which is intended for others), and a personal rating. So that's a three star for others, but for my personal tastes only a two. It is a good tobacco, just not quite my cup of tea.

mnadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mnadz (66)

Overall, I liked Carter Hall for an aromatic. I still put Captain Black Regular ahead of this, only because if I am going to take the time to smoke an aromatic, I want it to taste like an aromatic. Carter Hall can fit really nicely in between. Not in the mood for an english or a heavily flavored aromatic, Carter Hall can fit the bill. My wife enjoyed the room note. She stated she loved the smell of CB! but finds the Carter Hall pleasant in a non-overpowering way.

UPDATE 8/15/15 - I am now improving my rating from 2 stars to 3. Recently picked up some more because if what I had written above. Wanted a lighter aromatic to enjoy instead of a heavily topped aromatic. This time around, I found the taste much more enjoyable. Might be for my new found love of Burleys. I also am starting to differentiate blends that smoke really smooth, and this does deliver. I still put my favorite aromatics ahead with 4 stars (CB Copper has really won me over), but CH might find itself in the rotation on a more regular basis.

Pipe Used: Ben Wades

Similar Blends: Mac Baren Symphony.

BlacksmithTim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BlacksmithTim (7)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

When I picked up the pipe again I was sampling the drugstore blends that are found easy locally. I spotted this after encountering a mention on one of the forums and decided to try this.

I highly recommend this for beginners as it is probably the coolest, easiest smoke around. It quickly replaced Half and Half as my regular smoke and I've been smoking it steadily for a couple of years now. I like to try other tobaccos but this one is my mainstay.

Also worth mentioning that those around me appreciate the room note and compliment it.

Earl Grey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Earl Grey (34)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Carter Hall was one of my first daily smokes many years ago. It has a nice nutty flavor and burns cool and dry. It is Burley forward, but I can taste hints of the sweet Virginia flake as the bowl progresses. There's also a slight wine/cacao smell upon opening the pouch or tub. That also comes out in the flavor of the smoke. Burns to a fine white ash with only one relight after the char. This one will remain one of my daily smokes.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum, Briar,

Age When Smoked: Fresh out of tub.

Purchased From: B&M Tobacco Shop

Similar Blends: Prince Albert, Kentucky Club Mild, Granger.

RyeWhiskey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RyeWhiskey (43)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a good, solid burley based tobacco. I bought this in pouch format and I gotta say I was please when I opened the pouch. The aroma was that of good burley and it looks just as nice. Packed well, had a nice amount of dryness to it and smoked down without any bite. Tried it again in other pipes and am about halfway done with the pouch.

This a great pipe tobacco and is a good fit for a tighter budget. I have tried many tins of tobacco, and this one will stay in the rotation. I will pick up more, unluckily I grabbed the last one in stock so I'll have to wait to cellar some.

I did throw the pouched tobacco in a mason jar though, like I do all of my tobacco. I gave it three stars here, but it's more like 4/5. Not perfect but a great addition to your 'baccy jars.

zwolanek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zwolanek (19)
Mild Very Mild Mild Unnoticeable

Burley can bite. Evidently my body chemistry makes it impossible to smoke this.

IF CARTER HALL BITES YOU, YOU ARE NOT ALONE!

Put simply, I finish the first quarter bowl and have to dump it. Carter Hall bites me more than any other tobacco. It may be a fine, even great tobacco, but not for me.

Russ Ouellette has a great article on Burley from January 2012. He explains why some of us have this problem. The majority of Aromatics bite me, too, and then there is the added heat from the toppings, but even then, not to the degree of Carter Hall.

Woe is me!

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (88)

I love carter hall. No nonsense good old american stuff. It sure aint fancy, but it is pleasurable. There is a reason that these old OTC blends have been around since dinosaurs smoked Dunhills. These are just plain quality blend. Don't pick this up if you hope to find hints of candied apricots, or unicorn musk. There is not a lot hidden here. It is not subtle or expertly blended or balanced for the ultimate pipe smoking experience. This blend is a good old nutty burley. That is all, plain and simple.

There is some sort of a taste in this blend that is separate from the tobacco. Some people refer to it as a chemical taste. I can see where they get that, but for me it is not at all unpleasant. In fact it is my favorite part of the smoke. If you are looking for a smoke to mow the lawn or do other chores with this is your ticket. Smoke it in a cob with some good coffee and live the american dream one bowl at a time. Highly recommended.

rintrah Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rintrah (14)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

A good, cheap smoke. I got the "Luxury Pouch" (1.5oz pouch that comes in a shrink-wrapped box). This is really an enjoyable blend. Nice dose of nicotine, nice flavor profile, and extremely easy-to-smoke... doesn't get too hot, burns evenly, produces volumes of creamy smoke. I won't smoke this all the time, but I'd like to always have it around. I'm smoking it in a cob which seems like a great match, though I'm sure its great in a briar too. Recommend giving it a try!

cakeanddottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cakeanddottle (68)
Medium to Strong Mild Mild Pleasant

This one isn't going to be for everyone, but it is a benchmark tobacco. There is something so comforting about this tobacco, and I often select it over more expensive and admittedly higher quality mixtures.

As far as the strength, there must be some body chemistry thing between CH and me. I ALWAYS feel the nic when I smoke this. Did I get a tub that was off? I'm not talking about Lakeland levels of nicotine, but I normally don't ever detect nic, being a lifelong cigarette smoker and snuff user. I reach for CH when I need some nic.

It's a great morning smoke, it's great when you need a little nic kick, it's kind of a window to the past. Carter Hall won't ring every pipe smoker's bell, but for the right ones it's an indispensable tobacco. I'm not cellaring CH or anything, but something would feel amiss if there wasn't a pouch sitting next to my pipe rack. A classic Burley-Va mixture that has the ability to turn back the clock, and all of a sudden it's 1974 and I'm 8 again, watching Star Trek TOS on my grandmother's console television and the house is full of the smells of her cooking and I can hear coffee percolating in the kitchen.

vespa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vespa (18)

As I said in a previous review I've been on a " Burley Binge " of late outside of a bowl of Escudo Navy Delux yesterday. I've smoked four burley blends ( Aged Burley Flake, McB Burley London Blend & Golden Extra and now Carter Hall ). I must say CH is a DAMN GOOD!!! tobacco, just good burley taste from begining to end. The pouch I had was just right, no drying time or letting the tobacco rest just right to the pipe. One match and your off to the races. If you want to try burley give it a try and if you dont like it your only out a few bucks, no harm no foul. It beats paying 12 + dollars for a tin of ABF just to find out you have no taste for burley. Not that CH and ABF are anything alike, because they are not. Kind of like compairing apples to oranges. I'll be keeping some CH around for some good Old Tobac and keep my SG ABF & MacB BLB for when I want to relax and have one hell of a good burley experence. The rest has all been said by others who enjoy good burley so I'll stop rambling and let the others do the talking.

Your Brother in Smoke

3/4 Stars

PipeLover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeLover (16)

Im new to this hobby, about a year in. For the past year I read reviews, and watched guru pipe smokers on YT until I my eyeballs fell out. And everyone put down and said bad things about OTC (over the counter, drug store) tobaccos. Don't buy it, don't use it, don't smoke it, blah... blah... blah. I wash terrified of trying drug store tobaccos. Well... THEY WERE ALL WRONG!

I spent thousand of hard earned dollars on top rated tobaccos, lost countless days of sleep trying to locate very hard to find tobaccos, and then waited weeks for stuff to arrive from around the world... but low and behold the tobacco that would win me over was a mere 658 feet away (yes I measured) sitting on a shelf at Rite Aid for $5 a pouch.

Carter Hall has been around since the 18-freaking hundreds for a reason. I have smoked over 40 bowls of this stuff. It is very good! It is not an aromatic, but has a pleasantly semi sweet room note. It tastes like burley, with an ever so slight hint of figs. Mid bowl it smells like toasted bread, with a woodsy aroma and a distant hint of marshmallows. And it finished off with a nice smell of freshly roasted coffee beans. The warm empty bowl right after smoking smells like burnet Turkish coffee beans, very pleasant. And NO disgusting aftertaste.

Perfect moisture, and honestly it is the only tobacco I have tried that did not need a relight, and smoked all the way to the bottom of the bowl.

It is my daily smoker. I have six 14 oz. cans of this stuff on standby.

I can shamelessly say that smoking Carter Hall was the best experience I have had with pipe tobacco in the past year. Give it it a shot, its only $5.

P.S. Top rated, expensive tobaccos for sale... ; )

Mephisto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mephisto (32)

Despite it's drugstore pedigree this has become my favorite all day pipe. Easy in every way and nostalgic. I can see why grandpa would have chosen this one in the day where men were often seen with a pipe all day long at work and play. Not that sweet flavored room note but a reminder of days past and many strangers comment thatit reminds them of Dad or Grandpa. Cool for a burley stays lit ok and doesn't sour too much at the end as most do. Cakes up like a champ great for breaking in and is widely available and well priced. A true winner and the only one of the drugstore blends I like. Try it you won't be out much if you don't like it.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

While somewhat fast burning, and therefore leaning toward hot, it is otherwise a nice, mild, basic tobacco. It lit easily and stayed lit, and left just a trace of gunk at the bottom. Good for beginners looking at non-aro tobacco, and nice for a mild all-day smoke or for breaking in a new pipe, but nothing special about it for me.

Since I know there are many tobaccos out there I would rate a 4, the question arises would I rebuy this particular tobacco, assuming my tastes don't change much more. In this case, the answer is yes, and I have.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (171)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

What can I say that is great about this blend that others haven't?

A smooth smoking, wonderful burley/fig flavor. Never hints at biting. A great burley flavor down to the bottom of the bowl. Great for both indoor and outdoor enjoyment. This has always been my go to blend for breaking in pipes. Forms a great cake in rapid time.

Pairs well with just about any beverage, even root beer.

3pipeproblem Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
3pipeproblem (11)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

Well, here's my first review, after returning to the pipe about a year ago. I chose this to start off with due to the favorable reviews I found here. With 200 + 3 star reviews, there is little I can add. I have smoked it continuously for the past 12 months and have found it to be predictably pleasant in taste. It always lights easily and needs few relights, and is very easy on the tongue. I don't know about the room note as I always smoke outdoors; I rarely get a comment on it, pro or con. It can get bitter at the bottom of the bowl, but that's just burley. I am not experienced enough to detect the Virginia, but I suspect it is very light in content.

If you like burley and /or are a beginner, this is a "must try" blend. Also makes a good 50/50 mix with Smoker's Pride Black Cavendish.

(Side note to "Pokey Nipple", below : Obama went to Harvard, and we are likewise all very impressed.)

chetking Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chetking (54)

Previous reviewer Pokey Nipple has the correct drop on this long standing, U.S. American burley and Virginia standard. For the price and consumate mild flavour you'd be hard-pressed to find a rival. Not as riveting or memorable as those other time-tested Plebian staples - Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, Prince Albert or Half and Half - but this is very close. Notwithstanding the pyrotechnics from the proponderance of elitists or "would bees" reviewing on this website, straightaway CH is a just a solid, enjoyable and thankfully affordable pipe smoking encounter. Happy hunting!

Pokey Nipple Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pokey Nipple (7)

This is excellent stuff and I'm glad it has been reviewed well here. I've only been a member here a week or so and already I'm tired of the tired phrase "drugstore tobacco."

What this is, is a classic. It has a fruity, figgy thing going on--subtle, mind you. Tasty stuff. Perfect as an all-day. Go easy on it, but if you're a pipe smoker you know that already about every bowl no matter what's in it. Or at least you should.

Many, of course, are reluctant to like it as much as they do because it is a "drugstore blend," and that's ok. We're human and judge much by reputation. You can get just as good an education at the University of Minnesota as you can at Yale, but no one will ever admit it, especially those who went to Yale.

George W. Bush went to Yale and we're all very impressed.

Eonwe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eonwe (22)

This blend was a pleasant surprise. Opening the pouch, I smelled what reminded me of H&H, and so I assumed that it would smoke like H&H. It did not. This appears to be fairly straight tobacco here, with a floral tatse that reminds me of a tuned-down version of HoW's Field and Stream. It packed easy, takes a match like dream, and handles the smoulder down to the bottom. I agree that this blend doesnt alter its taste as you work your way down, but thats cool with me since this tastes so great. I must admit that my burly pallet isnt as refined as smokers who smoke mainly burly, but I know what I like, and I do like this blend. 2 and a half stars, says I... I'd go with Field and Stream if I had to smoke a burly blend (which Im praying comes back into production) but I'll reach for Carter Hall as a runner anytime...darn good smoke!

Buster Bluth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buster Bluth (56)

Pretty much a no frills reliable burley. Classic pipe smell room note and will get the "reminds me of my father/grandfather" from bystanders if smoked in public. Has become my favorite over the others like the Prince and Granger as it seems to be the most consistent and doesnt sour towards bottom of bowl. Good as a blender. Sometimes use it to break in pipes. It packs and burns with ease as it is a fine cut. Very neutral and inoffensive. Great with the morning coffee, and as a lighter smoke for the warmer months.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Tried this when just starting out, and threw it in the garden. Seemed at the time that it had an off-taste, but now that I have on a whim given it another chance, it just tastes like a good old fashioned codger burley, with even less topping than PA or H&H. I just smoked my first bowl in three years, and will not throw the rest out. Instead, I will keep it in a jar and smoke it occasionally, use it for blending, or just keep it in reserve. For $3 (used to be 1.99 in my little town not too long ago) you could do worse. You could do worse for $10. I still notice a slight off taste, but it is not too off-putting.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (129)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is the first baccy I smoked 40 years ago so I have fond memories of it. It was available then as a beginner's package that included a cheap briar pipe, a pouch of CH and a tiny "how to" booklet that explained proper care and feeding. After that one pouch I moved on to other blends and, inexplicably, I never bought anymore CH. After reading the reviews of it on this forum, I decided to try it again. As some have remarked in their review, it has a slight pouch fragrance of chocolate, raisens & figs. It burns well with no bite and a tolerable room note. Unlike PA or SWR (which taste like cigarettes), it seems to be a blend rather than pure burley and it has a richer flavor than the other inexpensive domestic stuff. IMHO, the taste is the best of the drug store blends. I won't wait another 40 years before I buy another pouch.

Taylor3006 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taylor3006 (47)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

I like Carter Hall, it's a nice mellow smoke. Not sure what "chemical" taste people are talking about, tastes like tobacco to me. Burns hot if you take big pulls but that seems normal to me. Easy to light, easy to keep lit, and requires no drying. Room note is questionable to me but overall I think for the price, this is a good tobacco. Blends well and has a pretty good nicotine kick.

HabaneroHardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HabaneroHardy (46)

I purchased some drug store pipe tobacco in 1.5 oz boxes back in 1997 that were in the discount bin for 10 cents a piece. I opened up a box of Carter Hall in 2010 some 13 years later and found it moist and with a pleasant aroma. I proceeded to smoke it in a pipe I had given my father as a gift back in 1968 when I was 8 years old. It was a nice mild smoke and with a lot of nostalgia behind it. The year is 2016 and just opened another box of Carter Hall making this box 19 years old and it still is moist and tastes great.

Pipe Used: Corn Cob

Age When Smoked: 19

Purchased From: Drug Store

Sweetbriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sweetbriar (14)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

a nice taste that burns fast. good to start the day with.

kyrider54 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kyrider54 (5)

Tried this upon reccomdations by other reviewers.Didnot like this one at all! It was very bitter throughout the smoke.I didnot finish the bowl because of that reason.It was easy to light and burned well but became very bitter with in seconds after the light.I would not rcommend this at all.

whitebriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
whitebriar (30)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

nothing "put on" here--good all day tobacco--easy to pack--easy to light--good robust burley flavor-- if you are looking for subtleties, save your money--if you are looking for a good honest smoke, this is a good bet--

i could easily choose (actually probably would choose) this one for my desert island blend--

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (100)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I've been watching you at the drug store. I watched as you noticed the old timey brands on the shelf and turned your nose up, probaly thinking to yourself that those poor wretches who smoke that tobacco are really missing out. Hmmm. Haven't tried Carter Hall? What are you waiting for? This is no push over Burley here. Carter Hall is real tobacco pleasure,the way your grandad knew about. Do yourself a favor and get a box, fill your pipe and sit out on the porch in the rocking chair this evening. Maybe read a Mark Twain story. That's Carter Hall. Real Tobacco pleasure.

Note to new pipe smokers: If you have been somking sweet aromatics and then switch to a tobacco like Carter Hall, CH will taste bitter and unpleasant to you. It's the same thing with eating something very sweet and turning around and having a glass of wine. Give this tobacco a chance. It hasn't been around this long for nothing. Enjoy!

Also the price for Carter Hall is right which will add to your enjoyment even more. The price isn't silly like some of these pipes, and "boutique blends" today.

paulw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
paulw (52)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This reminded me of alot better sir walter, a burley trying to be elegant. okay

Meisterlowin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meisterlowin (16)
Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

My usual local tobacco vendor closed up shop so I had to venture down to the local cheap-cigs shop. Having little knowledge of OTC blends, I closed my eyes and grabbed a can of this stuff. It's actually pretty good.

The can smells to me of fig and maybe whisky...very pleasant. Moisture content was spot on for me and the consistency of the ribbon is good.

If you are accustomed to aromatics (which I'm not) you probably won't like this tobacco. I usually smoke english blends because I like unadulterated taste and although this is a very mild smoke, I don't detect much if any topping. Burns even and cool with no bite.

Not too shabby at all. There are certainly better burleys available but this can be a good everyday smoke. I'm glad I like it because I bought a whole tub of the stuff.

Edit: I changed the strength to medium because for some reason, this (and most) burley seems to knock me on my arse although it seems for many, this is a mild strength tobacco.

smoke65 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoke65 (4)

Tried it once a few months ago, just as an alternative to PA & SWR. I have to admit that CH is not that bad. I agree with other reveiwers about the aroma, flavoring, and overall room smell (although I smoke outside).

Although I most likely remain loyal to PA & SWR, I cannot say anything negative about this product and will recommend it to those who want a good, classic smoke at a good price (until congress screws us with yet another tax)

Uruss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uruss (10)
Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Wow, I'm ashamed that I haven't smoked this blend before now. I actually am just now getting into the "drugstore" blends.

This was my first venture into them, and I have to say, Carter Hall will have a regular spot in my bowls from now on. CH is an all Burley blend and a fantastically mild one at that. It stays lit throughtout the smoke and easily packs. It's moisture is "just right" out of the pack. I'm about 3-4 bowls into the pouch, I can't say enough, you get so much for your buck with this smoke. People around you will be glad you packed a bowl of CH, it's a wonderful room note.

If you've never smoked CH or are just getting into smoking, I'd highley suggest Carter Hall. I wish someone had put me onto it when I started.

CenTex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CenTex (18)
Mild Very Mild Mild Tolerable to Strong

Went on a drug store splurge and bought a tub of this based on some of the reviews here. Seemed somewhat dry in the tin, smelled great. Easily lit, stayed lit to the bottom of a large agpple briar, with a good room note. Very mild flavor. A simple, reliable relaxing smoke.

Update: As much as I like it, this stuff does leave a stale smell in the air afterwards. Relegated to the smoke outdoors category.

Funn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Funn (16)

I'm a smoker of all types of tobaccos. This I consider meat loaf and potatos of tobaccodom (Funn Dictionary). Like others here I used to laugh at CH,PA,& OTC smokers. This is a fantastic all day smoke that is tireless. Easily packed,will go out if you stop puffing and I can exhale this through my nose without losing the hair. Has a raisin,chocolate,fruit smell and taste. Reminds me of one of my favorites..fruitcake. Lots of smoke,burns easily,biteless. can't taste any chemical additives. More aromatic than PA or 5 Bros. but not B&M aromatic. This is the fruitier of all the OTC's I've tried and it is a winner. You can go to this when your mouth is worn out from the "upper" crust tobaccos for relief. Don't have to worry about nuances and implied tastes, etc. Just plain good tobacco. Morning , noon, or night!. Great for outside or inside. Tried it in everything except a clay and it continues to shine. Persistant in taste never changing. First tried pouches & realized I was wasting money so I moved to a tub. I keep this in a plaid (I hate the color) sifter pouch so I can top the bowl w/crumbs,which really isn't neccesary as it burns excellently. No matter what you smoke,get a pouch of this & try it. You won't be disappointed IMHO. Highly recommended as a safe place to go for a change and relief from anything!! As mentioned earlier if this were tinned one could charge much more. Take advantage of it NOW!.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (180)

I had ordered a 2 ounce sample of this online. I am very surprised as to how good this tastes. Of the OTC weeds on the market, this is one of the best I have smoked. It packs and lights very easily and really does not need much tending to after the first light. I really can't add anything more positive than what has already been said below, except that I wholeheartedly concur. I have a couple more stops on my OTC trip to make, but as I say this is one of the best of the OTC blends I have had thus far. Definitely recommended for the starting pipe smoker and for those wanting a change of pace from their regular weed.

Canicus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Canicus (9)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Of the drugstore burly blends, this was a real surprise! I like English/Balkan blends - not a tobacco snob, but my go-to OTC blends were always PA and Half and half - with a nod to the Prince.

About a month ago, I bough a new pipe, went to a nearby Rite Aid to get some "break-in burly" - and this was all they had - so I bought a pouch.

I can't put my finger on it, but this tobacco has a smoother, more natural taste than either H&H (always the roughest of these) or PA - which surprised me. It's my new OTC favorite - and I'm gettin' me a tub......

Tried Granger long ago and may do so again - these blends are all close, but for breaking in a new pipe, a midday puff while gardening or with the orning coffee - CH has that nostalgic "patina" and just good taste that wins out.

My opinion anyway - don't think there's anything more subjective than tobacco selection!

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)

It's all been said. 4 stars. As someone from the Eurozone, it's a shame this stuff is very hard to find here. I've tried and love PA...this goes on the great American Burley list. I love my Samual Gawith and Gawith Hoggarts, I love my Navy Blends and mature VA flakes....but this is so nice for a change of pace. A must for Burley lovers...the price defies logic. Top Marks.

Wrangler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wrangler (16)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

I just tried some CH in a MO. meerchaum and although it was a pleasant smoke, it was a little bit disappointing. It struck me as somewhat of an aromatic ciggy tobacco. I've never heard of such a thing but if there is one it is CH. This is not to disparage drugstore blends by any means, it's just my perception of the tobacco. A major selling point would be price for me. For $4.19 for 1.5 oz. at Rite Aid I'd have to be inclined to think I'd buy it in a pinch if out of town and ran out of tobacco and didn't want to take any chances on some unknown brand for my smoking pleasure. I will finish smoking the pouch I have and maybe put one up for emergencies. I'd recommend it to someone making the transition from ciggys to pipe for sure. Happy smoking!

catdaddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
catdaddy (18)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Top of the drug store blends in my book and an excellent burley for blending. Why pay more?

AcworthAl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AcworthAl (38)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

The other day I was looking for a change of pace, as I was smoking some rather strong blends, similar to Larry?s Blend. I had a small amount of Carter Hall left in the pouch. I was surprised at just how good this is. It TASTE GOOD, burns easy, and makes for a good smoke. I ordered a large tin. If one considers the price, it really is a great deal.

August 3 2016 Update. Got a couple of new MM and tried some new Carter Hall, it was a wonderful smoke. I forgot how good a MM Pipe is.

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (130)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

As far as OTCs go, this one is good. Packs easily, burns perfectly, copious smoke, requires no effort to keep it lit. Good flavor and no tongue bite. This is a great every day smoke and the price absolutely cannot be beat. I prefer this to Prince Albert.

earlr1957 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
earlr1957 (9)

Lights easy, and stays lit. Burns to nice ash to completion. Moisture content is just right.

Slow Triathlete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Triathlete (48)

Where o where have you been Carter Hall?

Like a lot of people, I smoked only premium tobacco for years and looked down my nose at these OTC blends. Man, was I an idiot!!

Do yourself a favor. Go out and buy some of this blend. Let it dry out for a bit and then fire it up. This is now my go-to everyday smoke.

k_pip_k Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
k_pip_k (9)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

-update- Downgrading this one notch after smoking it a while -update-

I just wanted to say that I really like this tobacco. I started off smoking McClellands, GL. Pease, Penzance, C&D, and after I heard all the flurry of discussion about this drugstore brand I decided to get the big tub from JR.

This is great stuff. It is flavorful, yet light enough that I lit up two bowls. I usually don't do that, kind of done after about one bowl, but this stuff I could smoke all day. The smell doesn't put off the wife too much, not like 965. It packed perfect, and smoke nicely to the bottom. I can't say that for a lot of the upscale blends!! And it is cheap.

What more could you want.

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (80)

Update: What was I thinking here? I've spent the entire summer smoking about 4 tobaccos and this one has risen up to the top of that particular heap (including PA and KC). This is simple but has enough of an almost sweet flavor to make the smoke worthwhile. Smooth as a babies butt. Needs no attention at all, practically smokes itself. Basic tobacco, cheap. Heck this is easily three stars. I keep it around all the time now. Original review is below and slightly edited:

I've been smoking this in a kind of head to head competition with the other so called drug store burley blends lately. It's an inexpensive, cool, dry but nondescript experience. A very minimalist kind of tobacco. Does best in a cob where the last half seems to offer a little more taste. I also enjoy PA or Kentucky Club for a similar smoke. As noted, good for mixing and for breaking in a new pipe.

Budman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Budman (25)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

I bought a pouch of this on a whim. I figured for $1.50 no big deal. I probably won't like this any way. Sometimes the best things in life are right under our nose. Carter Hall is one of those. A simple Burley with some light top coating. It packs and lights well and produces nice plumes of smoke. It smells pleasant and doesn't bite. I like this I will buy the tub next. Recommended

WillardFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillardFan (86)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

I had almost given up on Burley blends, when on a whim, I bought a pouch of this tobacco. A nice ribbon cut, moderately moist, and a pleasant aroma were my first impressions of this OTC blend. A very nice burn upon lighting, and it maintained a mild, slightly sweet taste till the bottom of the bowl. I can see now why this one has been around for so long. Maybe our Senior Gents know a bit more than we give them credit for...

bent-1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bent-1 (36)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

A nice sweet, nutty balance is easily achieved with this blend. I consider it the 'comfort food' of tobaccos. Slow draws deliver a cool, dry, buttery smooth sweet/nutty flavor. It's ready to go right out of the pouch, and tastes just as good to the last bowl full, the pg doesn't bother me in this blend. Initially, I used CH to break in new pipes & work out ghosts in estate pipes, but it's now a daily puff. Readily available, priced right, doesn't foul my pipes.

Auroraboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Auroraboy (22)

This was my first Middleton blend several years ago, and I loved it from the first bowl. The cut was sort of a thin ribbon-cut, and came relatively dry out of the pouch compared to what I was used to. What a relief after bulk aromatics from the tobacco shop, and Captain Black Royal. THIS was what I'd been looking for. The scent was just tobacco with a very light fruit or berry topping of some kind. Lights right up, very few relights, with lots of creamy smoke to enjoy. As with Prince Albert, nicotine strength is present but not overpowering. A pipeful of this, with a cup of coffee and the paper or a good book, is a truly welcome break in the midst of our "modern" world.

If it's not clear already, I think this is one of the best (if not THE best) readily-available "drugstore" brands out there today. If you haven't tried it, don't hesitate.

SirShaggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirShaggy (28)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I must say, "Old Puffer" hit his review of this tobacco right on the nose. I think that it is very mild, breaks in a pipe well, is not objectable for any bad scents or flavor and great when your mouth needs a break. I can see why many people had this for a daily smoke. It may be a touch bland but I am not sure I will ever get tired of it now and again.

Old Puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Puffer (42)

06/29/2008 Since I only dabbled a little with pipes in the '70s and '80s, All I smoked were 'drug store blends'. I didn't even know about tobacconists. Don't remember if I even tried Carter Hall. When I got serious about pipes in retirement, I avoided them as something of a youthful novelty and started learning about 'real' tobacco from you guys on the internet. However, I recently read the reviews on this baccy and decided, 'what the heck', and ordered some (my local drug stores didn't have a clue).

I'm glad you talked me into it. The stuff isn't bad at all, just a little ho-hum. It is just a wee wet in the can and after a little drying packs and lights easily. Easy to keep going and no hint of a bite. Smokes cool and there are no objectionable flavors coming out of the can or the smoke. In the can, it is a little fruity. It's a keeper, although I don't know if I'll order more. It goes over well but doesn't really do much for me. Will keep using it for bedtime smokes and see if it changes my mind over time.

Having absolutely no objectionable qualities and for it's smoothness, It gets 3 stars.

Updated 05/31/2009 Almost a year since I gave this baccy 3 stars and I have kept playing with it and it certainly changed my mind. This stuff has really grown on me and mellowed out my taste for it and has joined my cellar as one of my top smokes. I have to give it top billing (and order more).

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (81)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Along the lines of Half and Half. Similar in packaging, pouch aroma, cut, and to a large degree flavor. It does, however, show differences from HH, mainly in the topping. It's hard to describe, it's almost as if they are blends meant to compete for the exact same shelf.

Burns cool, lots of natural tobacco sweetness and pleasant room note.

Pipemanuk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipemanuk (76)

Of all the basic Burley blends, this is my favourite. Soft, creamy sweet smoke, it doesn't bite and its perfect to sit there while I bash away at the PC.

Like many others, I save my VA's for the evening when I can give them the dedication they deserve....this is a straightforward, very pleasant gentle all day tobacco. Having said that of course, its not available (as far as I am aware) in the UK and the nearest equivalent is Clan. Give me this anyday though and I'm a happy guy. Perfect in a cob though I wish I could buy cobs with a more resistant mouthpiece; I am always biting through the darn things!

In favour of tobacco

Much victuals serves for gluttony; to fatten men like swine; but he's a frugal man indeed that with a leaf can dine. And needs no napkin for his hands, his fingers' ends to wipe, but keeps his kitchen in a box, and roast meat in a pipe.

Samuel Rowlands 1611

Frosty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Frosty (29)
Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Well, I love Burley, so I love this. It has a very sweet, fruity, boozy pouch aroma. I have smoked this blend on and off for some years. Once, Mrs Frosty and I were at a bar when a very old gentleman came in and ordered a beer, got out his pipe and a pouch of Carter hall. Upon lighting his pipe, a very wonderful aroma filled the air, and I turned to my wife and exclaimed that it smells as great as it tastes! I can never really sense the room note of a tobacco when I smoke it, so this was a real eye opener for me. It tastes quite like a fine cigar to me, as has already been noted, and given the price of premium cigars this is my go-to blend when I am in the mood for a cigar. The 14 oz tub must hold hundreds of pipe fills, so it is almost free when one considers how many smokes one gets for the money. I hope it ages well, for I will be stocking up on tubs of this against the Black Day when the anti's finally declare victory. Aww, heck, I am going to have to give this another of my many 4 star ratings! I might have to change my reviewer moniker from Frosty to "Old 4 Star"! Try it, if you like Burleys, you have a cheap, excellent smoke with a wonderful room note.

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (77)

Lately I have taken an oddysey into some of the oldtime burley blends. I'm not sure if my tastes are changing, or perhaps I've become overly nostalgic in my older age. Economics don't really enter into into the picture so much as convenience and comfort. The older and busier I get, the more I appreciate a low maintenance, easy smoke.

This one is a good all-day smoke....no drama...no changing flavors or intricacies to worry about,,,just good plain tobacco flavor. So more and more, I find myself reaching for this during the day, while saving some of my more complex virginia blends for the eveniong when I have time to concentrate and appreciate them more. Every tobacco has it's place and for daily comsumption this is a calming, flavorful blend. I think my next stop is to update my review of PA and beg some forgiveness.

Classical Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Classical (13)

My first taste of this venerable American pipe smoking staple was while I was stuck waiting for an hour with only one match, one cobb and no tamper. So, I stuffed the cob with the tobacco from the newly opened tub, smashed it in with my finger and lit with my one match. The results? Pretty darned amazing!

It burned down to the bottom, with no real tamping and little effort from me, aside from my happy puffing. Even with my fairly rapid puffing, there was no bite. I enjoyed a mild, enjoyable and refreshing smoke and the wait went by happily.

I'm going to enjoy breaking in some new briars with this tub and also giving my cobbs a real friend in Carter Hall.

Accompaniment: Aaron Copland's Rodeo.

Benton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Benton (13)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I smoke about 4 or 5 bowls of Carter Hall per week because it is the most reliable tobacco I can find at any price. Some other blends, even well respected ones, require careful packing and lighting in well broken-in pipes to give reasonable pleasure, but not Carter Hall. I dip a smallish basket pipe in the jar, fill to overflowing, and gently pack down to fill 7/8 of the bowl. Then I scoop again to over fill the pipe and pack down to 1/16" below the rim. One light is enough, but I always use two partly because the freshly lit aroma is so nice. Between the first and second light I like to set the pipe down and enjoy the room note for a minute or two.

A lot of people have noted that CH has a light fruity topping, but some of the guesses were perplexing to me (chocolate, orange liqueur . . . what on earth are you talking about?). I think that the pouch aroma is similar to a dried fruit like figs, dates, or raisins. Sometimes the pouch aroma shows up in the flavor long into the smoke, especially after exhaling through the nose. I only get this effect when smoking CH slow and cool, which is sometimes hard to do because it burns so well. When it is smoking cool, my pipe goes out after about 30 minutes, then every 10 minutes until the bottom of the bowl.

The flavor is mostly sweet and burleyish as long as the bowl doesn't get too hot. Not complex but very pleasant. CH is easy to keep burning and handles nicely as long as it isn't packed too tight. When it is packed tight and/or burning hot I taste something like beeswax, which is very good considering what most inexpensive blends taste like under similar conditions. Near the bottom of the bowl the sweetness disapears, but the fig aroma lingers in the nose. The usual burley bitterness shows up, but some like bitter flavors like dark chocolate or hoppy beer, I'm one of those people so the bitterness isn't offputing.

Like most tobaccos, CH smokes wet in a incompletely caked pipe. The strange thing is that the pipecleaners come out smelling sweet like the pouch aroma rather than rank and foul. The pipe that I smoke only CH in smells better than my other briars when it is not lit. In a broken-in pipe, CH burns down evenly to a flat 1/16" thick dottle for me. There isn't much nicotine kick here and little to no bite.

Unless you are a burleyphobe, there is no reason why you shouldn't try Carter Hall.

htduck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
htduck (28)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I tried Carter Hall because I found PA to be so fulfilling as a pleasant day's puff, and because another reviewer spoke about his 90+ year old pipe smoking mentor keeping a tub of CH as his main puff vegetable. Carter Hall is good. It's no high dollar tin of tobacco that keeps your tobacconist's shop in business, it's a puff that tastes like tobacco, smokes like tobacco and gives you the warm and fuzzy feeling that tobacco is grown to give. I love the Prince and I suppose he must live in Carter Hall because while they are in ways different, they deliver the same message, i.e. this is simple tobacco that satisfies. For now I can afford any tobacco I want when I want it, but one day I will get my priorities correct and the Carter Hall's of the tobacco world will satisfy my puffing just as well as any tobacco to be had. I guess I need to arrange a meeting with Sir Walter now.

Davetopay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davetopay (43)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I picked this up on a whim at the local grocery store and have been pleasantly surprised. The $1.89 price for the pouch makes it a real bargain. I wasn't expecting much from this light fluffy blend that is entirely fluffy processed burley. It doesn't feel all waxy or goopy with a bunch of flavoring agents and packs cleanly. The light is easy and hasn't needed a relight. Any flavor that comes from the slight apricot aroma you get when first opened is so faint that it doesn't intrude on some basic but solid tobacco flavors. It smoked a bit wet and happened to gurgle profusely in my old WDC Navajo, but that could very well be a result of the cold and misty weather over the last few days. This might just end up being a regular.

...or not....Since that first review in November of 2006 or 7, can't remember, I haven't bothered to seek it out since it is no longer on the shelf at the local grocer.

Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

The first tobacco I ever tried, and I still smoke it from time to time.

My dad smoked this, sometimes mixing it with Middleton's Cherry.

It is a very mild, inexpensive,burley/bright mixture with a slight prune/ plum top-flavor. I find it to be good for the summer in Florida.

It is one of the few non- aromatic blends available in stores where I live.

Like most Middleton blends, a pleasant and unassuming smoke, at a very affordable price.

churchwarden398 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
churchwarden398 (19)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

If you are looking for a good smoke and are for some reason confined to buying drug store tobaccos, here is a good pick. That is, even if you are not a burleyphile. It smokes cool, has a nice flavor and a pleasant aroma. You would not be hard-pressed to do worse as you are shoving your buggy down the tobacco aisle or nowadays trying to gleen your way to a good smoke from the at times impenetrable cavern of space known as the tobacco center in grocery stores, drug stores or your local branch of The Walton's family empire. This blend lights well, packs easily and provides a decent and tasty smoke.

Moe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Moe (46)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Carter Hall to me is like Prince Albert lite. I find it similar in flavor to the Prince, only not quite as flavorful, not quite as much nicotine, not quite as satisfying. I dont drink near beer, or decafienated coffee either .Its like the Princes little brother that hasnt grown up yet. If there was no PA, I might smoke this. But since this is not the case. Ill stick to the real deal. 2 stars for it being half as good as the Prince.

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (78)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

EDITED 12.29.14 - Taking it down to three stars

OK, I finally tried Carter Hall.

I've tried most everything else in this range of tobacco and without hesitation, this is the only one I'd choose to buy again. In fact, I buy it regularly and smoke it regularly. Carter Hall is good tobacco.

There are no frills here. Carter Hall smokes well, doesn't get bitter and doesn't bite. I can see why it's still around. Consistent and without a doubt, a "smokers" tobacco.

Recommended as a great burley blend, with enough flavor and "oomph" to satisfy. This is one that you can smoke all day. I believe that Prince Albert is the "KING" of this domain, thus the three star amended rating.

flaminbill' Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flaminbill' (57)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I just can't handle this weed on its own. I have used it as a blender and it is adequate in that regard. I don't belong to the anti-burley brigade, I actually like quite a few. This isn't one of them.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a classic drugstore burley blend. In fact, it's a classic pipe tobacco no matter how one classifies it!

Carter Hall has been around for quite awhile. Composed primarily of burley with a noticeable amount of bright Va. and a mild topping that reminds me of plums or raisins. It's inexpensive, it tastes good, it's room note is inoffensive, and it's damn near impossible to make it bite.

I probably smoke two or three times as much CH as I do any other tobacco, although I have a respectable "cellar" (closet, actually) full of more expensive blends. It's definitely not the kind of tobacco you want in more contemplative moments (subtlety is not its strong point) but I'm not sure it can be beat as an easily available and affordable "all day" smoke. It also excels as both a blending agent and as a perfect tobacco to use while breaking in new pipes.

It doesn't have the richness of flavor I normally associate with VAs, VA/PERs and latakia-based blends, but I'm not sure you can do better for $1.50 a pouch (and, in my experience, you can do a LOT worse for $5 an ounce).

Also, if you like American English blends like Morley's Best, Gatlin-Burley or Revelation, you can make a blend that puts all other examples of this genre to shame by simply mixing, say, 4 parts Carter Hall to 1 part latakia and letting them meld for a month. If I had discovered this mixture years ago, I would have saved hundreds of dollars searching for that "perfect" American English.

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)
Mild Very Mild Mild Tolerable

I've been smoking this stuff off and on in cobs, and managed to overlook reviewing it. I remember this being around even when I was a kid, and have tried it off and on over the years when ever I have tried to pick up pipe smoking, and make it stick.

Carter Hall is just what everyone else here says; inexpensive, readily available, fairly tasty, and very mild. That being said, is this enough reason to go out and buy it given the availability of many fine burley blends today? Let's see.

A tin of MacBaren's Burley London runs about $12 for 3.5 oz. That same amount of money will buy about 12 oz. of Carter Hall. And I found the MacB's to be only slightly more full flavored, but with a hell of a lot more bite than CH. Though CH is dericively referred to as a "drugstore blend", that doesn't mean you shouldn't smoke it. Remember, years ago drugstores were like the wal-marts of rural America; they carried everything, and were the only places to get any kind of pipe tobacco. And, Carter Hall has been around a long, long time.

I find that I do like this blend; it's cool to the palate, only slightly sweet, and doesn't bite. However, I do not smoke it in briars because it does have a tendency to burn a little fast if you're not careful, and can get hot in the pipe (but still with no tongue bite). I also would relegate this to an outdoors smoke; not because the aroma is offensive, but because it just smells like something you know is going to leave a stale room aroma over time. But hell, for puttering in the yard, or taking a walk, it's just fine.

Carter Hall is not a fine tobacco blend. It is an unassuming, unpretentious blend for those who aren't necessarily looking for a lot of distractions with their smoke. There is absolutely nothing to not like about it, but not a lot you can say stands out about it either. As long as you're not worried about your local pipe circle labelling you as "common" for smoking so pedestrian a blend, it's worth a try. I love GL Pease blends, Petersons, and Orlik Dark Kentucky Flake (a much stronger version of what CH aspires to be). But, I don't mind being seen with a "drugstore" tobacco, and I am okay with saying that I like Carter Hall plenty enough to buy a pouch every few months or so.

Relapse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Relapse (18)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

From time to time I find myself needing to give my taste buds a rest from the rather strong English/Balkan blends I regularly smoke. When that happens, Carter Hall is a perfect medium.

Never minding the derogatory "drugstore blend" moniker and the liters of PG it is drenched on, Carter Hall is just fine All American Burley, mild tasting, cool and stubborn burning and it burns all the way down to the pipe heel even in the worst plumbed pieces. What's not to like about it?

I don't eat fried chicken daily, but once every few weeks I truly enjoy it. Same with Carter Hall. After all, you cannot go eating Beluga Caviar daily, or can you? :-)

A solid three star.

caddad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
caddad (53)

Last summer I spent some time smoking several of these drug store blends and I found Carter Hall to be a very good smoke. It?s just good old simple burley flavor no frills. It is consistent with Prince Albert and the like and I?m sure this summer when I need a change of pace, I?ll drop in Osco or Wallgreens on the way home from work and taste again for the drive home the way it used to be.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Well, it?s pretty much been said: Carter Hall is an inexpensive, prosaic drug store burley ?fishin? tobacco? that is mild, one-dimensional, with excellent burning qualities that provides a cool smoke, tastes OK and is ideal for breaking in new pipes. In summary, I like this stuff.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this tobacco 8.4 out of 10.

First of all I am tired of seeing manure references to various tobaccos. I would challenge any reviewer to try a pipefull of any tobacco vs. smoking various types of manures or other overused comparisons to bodily excretions. Carter Hall tobacco: A very tasty mild Burley tobacco. Make sure you put the pipe down when it gets too hot. I don't smoke this to the bottom as it gets a little bitter.

Kerdy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kerdy (43)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This is a nice all day smoke and great for beginners. I will smoke all of what I have, but will probably not get anymore anytime soon. It has hardly any taste, but what it does have is a nice, slightly sweet, tobacco flavor. Hardly any tongue bit at all. You really have to get this one going to get it to sting. Lots of compliments on the aroma. Started a long converstation on pipes. Not a bad tobacco, but not complicated in any way. Just a decent smoke that I wouldn't hesitate to get if nothing else was available. Smokes the pants off other OTC brands. Burns clean and a good cake builder.

UPDATE: I have been told that this smells like cigars. I noticed it too, but always thought iw was someone elses cigar I was smelling. I keep it around to build cake in a pipe. Doesnt take long at all to do that with this blend. Decent, reliable, cheep. Nothing fancy, but sometimes, you just dont want fancy.

BostonPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BostonPipe (83)

I found myself the other day half-way to work when I realized that I had forgotten to pick up my tobacco pouch when I left the house.

Rather than turn around and be late for work, I stopped at a drugstore on the way and picked-up a package of this blend. (It was either this blend or a nice sticky, gummy, pack of Captain Black.

I chose well. While not a great blend, it was more than tolerable. As a matter-of-fact it was a rather pleasant and a nice change of pace for this usual Peretti's English Smoker.

Smooth, light, with an nutty flavor, and an ever so slight sour note, it was well, kinda nice!

It reminded me of several burley blends that I had begun my pipe smoking days with.

Packing is easy, and the burn is even all the way down the bowl. This tobacco burns clean and leaves a fine white-grey ash.

Not Bad at all.

Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Strong

Not to bad for a drug store burley, but not near as good as velvet. It would do in a pinch, but I probably won't finish this pouch. It knocks the sock off of half-n-half.

DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (263)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

An interesting OTC blend this is! I was lucky to get ahold of some 20grams of Carther Hall and to be honest: When I dipped my nose into the baggie I wasn't sure whether I'd like it or not. The topping is somewhat chemical, not really Bourbon-ish, but fruity, nutty and somewhat alcohol-ish. Easy to handle cut.

I smoked Carter Hall in Clays, Briars and Cobs and it sings to me in Corn Cobs! The taste profile isn't immensely complex, nor too refined, but solid and tasty when I'm looking for an easy smoke in the morning hours or inbetween. Delicate nuttiness, some chocolate-notes, decent, yet rather mild spiciness, but some neat tartness. The topping is mildly perceptible and again is more fruity-alcohol-ish with some nut and cocoa to it, rather than being Bourbon-ish. The topping is somewhat chemical but walks the thin line of soulless and charming artificial flavorings and I somehow like it for what it is! The burleys set a great base for this blend.

Yup.. I quite like it and can imagine of buying a few packs of this should I get the chance of doing so. It's an easy man's smoke. Sit down on the front porch, sip your drink, play some good music, and let the thoughts ramble. It burns quick, but not hot, so it makes for a satisfying "inbetween-smoke" and I can see why the ol' folks used to dip in a tub of Carter Hall all day. It's satisfying! Along with the wonderful storys this blend brought up it makes for a 3,5-stars blend for me. SWR f.e. is a tad more refined, but sometimes you just want that "Old time feeling" Guy Clark used to sing about.

Pipe Used: Clays, Cobs, Briars

canvas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
canvas (136)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable to Strong

I have spent a year exploring a myriad of tinned tobaccos, and wanted a throwback to a simpler time, so I decided to pick up a pouch of something less fancy. I've never had a cheap "supermarket" blend knock it out of the park, but some (like Prince Albert) were OK, so let's keep an open mind and see what lurks inside.

Carter Hall has a sickly sweet, almost medicinal smell and is shredded into moist pinchable offerings. It certainly comes across as a cheap filler blend made for rolling cigarettes rather than packing a slow burning pipe, and well, that is how it ended up being I'm afraid.

It wasn't gross (like Half & Half), but if given the choice I'd rather have something tastier like Captain Black at the very least. This was just dry and lifeless, the thing you find months later in a coat pocket. Others entering the room told me it smelled like a stale cigarette, and they were not far off from the taste.

With so many choices and a growing cellar, I'm not sure I would ever want any Carter Hall, even if it was a whopping 70 cents cheaper. This should be rated 1.5 stars, but I'm rounding down as I can't see recommending it on any level.

Tburglar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tburglar (7)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Strong

This is a thumbs down for me. The taste is... cigarette. The room note... cigarette. That being said it burns well, and is smooth. There is nothing to savor here, for me, so it defeats the purpose of putting it in my pipe.

Pipe Used: MM Mark Twain & John Bull billiard

Purchased From: Local otc

donk93953 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
donk93953 (22)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

OK I smoked this, like many of us, when I first started with a pipe. I quickly went to Sir Walter Raleigh. Now I remember why. Almost tasteless. It will burn easily, it will light easily, and its really easy to forget. Are we sure there is tobacco leaf in here and not just shavings?

Pipe Used: Dunhill

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Similar Blends: This is not like the traditional over the counter burley blends., It really lacks any flavor., Even the flavor of straight burley is gone..

Appalachian Scholar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Appalachian Scholar (34)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Strong

I really wanted to like this blend. I sometimes feel like I was born in the wrong decade/century and wanted to smoke something generations of pipers have smoked before me. This was not Carter Hall.

In the pouch, it gave off a sweet and sour chocolate smell similar to Prince Albert, but that's where the similarities ended. However, the taste was extremely flat and the aroma was like cigarettes. I smoked a few bowls and put the pouch away.

Six months later, I tried the same pouch again. The taste was the same, but the room aroma morphed into body odor.

Pipe Used: Basket Pipe

Age When Smoked: New, 6 months

Purchased From: Ingles

juvat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
juvat (36)

I've smoked a couple of pouches of CH so far and have no real complaints. It's good, but not great. There is something about the flavor that I just can't put my finger on that keeps this from being a 4 star tobacco for me. I don't dislike it, but I still prefer Prince Albert as I think PA has a slightly better taste than CH. Having said that, I wouldn't thumb my nose at a bowl of CH and would certainly buy it without hesitation if Prince Albert wasn't available.

Good, honest pipe tobacco. Nothing more, nothing less.

Tripjoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tripjoker (65)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I continue to try these drugstore blends as I want my flavor exposure to be as complete as possible. With that said, I can definately say that some flavors are best left where they are found.

I tend to describe these low end tobaccos by explaining chocolate. Very good Belgian, French, Swiss or German chocolates are a revelation to many Americans when they are tasted the first time. There is so much depth of flavor and the texture is different. All around much better than your average Hershey bar that contains very little real chocolate (cocoa).

Well friends, that is what these American drug store blends are like. American chocolate. Yes, it tastes somewhat of tobacco, but not ANYTHING like real tobacco. Not surprisingly, Carter Hall failed in every way for this smoker. I prefer to have the best that my resources will buy, and this ain't it by a long shot.

I'm sure that this is heresay to many fellow pipers. I'm sorry for that, but after nearly 30 years as a food and wine professional at a high level I trust my tastes more than most. Cheers!

RusticAuthor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RusticAuthor (5)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

I was looking forward to trying this blend, and was fully prepared to like it, based upon the many favorable reviews. Surprisingly, apart from the chocolate pouch aroma, I found nothing that I liked. While smoking, I detected no nuttiness or fruitiness. I only detected a rather unpleasant taste that I can't identify (except that it did not taste like any tobacco I've ever smoked). A huge disappointment. I appear to be among the minority who do not like this tobacco. I would give it zero stars, if that was possible. I won't be trying it again.