Cross cut Burleys with a sprinkling of Virginia flake.

BrandJohn Middleton, Inc
BnB Tobacco
4noggins.com
Strength
Taste

Almost 40 years ago, I tried this blend and hated it. I wasn't ready for burley blends. Except for my occasional SWRA forays, my reluctance for smoking OTCs since then was hard to break. Recently, I decided to try it again and was surprised by how much I like it. I like the slightly nutty, very slight chocolate taste. It burns evenly, doesn't need to be relit much, packs very easily, with a very pleasant aftertaste. It goes well with any drink you choose. I find it to be one of the best of the OTC burley based tobaccos. It will never be more than a change of pace smoke for me, but sometimes I need a break from heavier, fuller blends. This is a good choice for that. Don't expect more than it's meant to be, and you will enjoy it. There are more expensive burley blends and some of them are better than this, but for the price and convenience and taste, it's worth being in your rotation if you like burleys.

pipelovingcalvinist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipelovingcalvinist (68)

Carter Hall smoked in a cob with a cup of strong black coffee is truly a gift from God, and I thank Him every time I am able to engage in a bowl and cup. For a drug store blend, I couldn't ask for anything better.

Soli Deo gloria!

proc2000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
proc2000 (7)

This is an affordable gem. Carter Hall has a slighty nutty, faintly sweet taste that stays consistent throughout the bowl. There is nothing complex about this tobacco, which is a good thing. Sometimes simple is good. A bowl of CH in a cob is one of life's simple treasures.

Father-B Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Father-B (3)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Let me start off by saying that when I first started smoking a pipe when I was 18 I tried to get things that 'smelled good'. You know the stuff, cherries, vanilla, etc. Later, I found my way to more tobacco-tasting tobaccos and by the time I was 19 I was working in the local tobacconist/pipeshop and dismissed the 'drugstore' blends from which I had graduated as cheap stuff, not worthy of my pipes.

Well, I'm older now and I hope that I am more mature. I am willing to confess my errors. Coming back to the pipe after 20 years of cigarettes, I just couldn't find my way back to an English type, tobacco tasting, all day, every day kinda smoke. Then I read the reviews here for Carter Hall. My smoking life has changed and I have learned something in the process.

Carter Hall is not fancy. It is about as 'plain-Jane' as you can get. It is just burley with a sprinkling of virginia flake. It is monochromatic; doesn't change much as you smoke it. But it burns to the bottom of the bowl without too much fuss and it burns to a fine white ash with no bits of charcoal left in the bottom of the pipe. It provides enough nicotine for this one to kick the cigs. And, while not an aromatic, no one seems to run away screaming because of the malodorous fumes emanating from the general direction of my smoldering Peterson. By itself, this is a good quality 'baccy' and its simplicity and straightforwardness are to be appreciated as such.

It is, as has been mentioned, probably the best pipeweed for breaking in a new pipe. Even smoking 1/2 pipes full initially, I have always had a difficult time caking up the bottom of the bowl. Not with Carter Hall. A good 4-6 smokes at half full and you are on your way to a nice cake down there.

Because of its rather neutral character, it is wonderful for taming down a blend that just isn't right, somehow. The addition of a little CH doesn't change the tast much and tones down strong flavors and bitey-ness. It is also great for working the ghosts of other blends out of your pipes.

Having said that this blend is great on its own, and it is, I have also experiemted using it as a base for some blending. Because of its nice easy, gentle burning qualities, it proves a good base for other things so as to give me a bit of variety. Variety is necessary in some things. (You don't eat the same thing for dinner every night do you?)

I can't say enough good things about this tobacco. If you haven't tried it, you should. It's plain and simple, true. But, there is value in the plain and simple. Give it a go.

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (100)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Mild Tolerable

Ahhh, remember when the poet said, "It's possible to feel homesick for a place you've never been"??? I suppose it's also possible to miss a time you've never witnessed.

And so we have Renaissance Fairs, Star Trek, Modern Burlesque, and Codger Envy.

Like many, it seems, I've been investigating the old standards like the Prince, the Sir, and the Carter. Of the three, the Prince is, to my mind, by far the best, but the Carter is a serviceable little blend. After a dozen or so mostly uninspired bowls of CH on its own, I have (again, like many) found it to be a decent base Burley for a faux-Revelation or Country Doctor type blend. A dollop of Latakia, a pinch of Perique, a smattering of Virginia and a wee drizzle of a fruity aromatic such as Devil's Holiday and naked, homely Carter is ready for the prom.

On its own, though, Carter Hall is little more than a house fire waiting to happen. It puts me to sleep when I smoke it.

CantTest Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CantTest (14)
Mild Mild Medium Tolerable

My 90 year old pipesmoking mentor smokes this blend exclusively. He will accept tins of the high-dollar tobacco that I sometimes bring him, and smoke them, but a few months later when I stop by for a visit, there's a can of Carter Hall sitting beside his easy chair, open and ready for the next fill of the pipe.

My friend is a pipesmoker like the old men I remember from my youth. He gets his pipes from Wal Mart and smokes them till they "wear out," and then buys some more. No fancy tobacco jars, no special packing technique, just a dip, a push of the thumb and light 'er up, tamp once and relax.

And so I like this blend. Not only because my pipesmoking friend smokes it, but I like the way CH packs, lights, burns steady and without too much fuss. I inhale occasionally and the draw feels good. This blend is just steady and unpretentious, like my friend, and I know I'll always have a tub of this on hand. Whenever I leave after a visit, the old pipesmoker says, "Load up a bowl before you go." That's the way I think of Carter Hall, easy-going and always ready with a kind offer of a good smoke.

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (90)

This is a super simple easy-smoking mixture that I have truly come to appreciate. It smokes wonderfully in cob, not quite as well in a briar. Often times, pipers will refer to burley as tasting nutty. I had never experienced that flavor sensation in a burley tobacco until I tried Carter Hall. Now I get it. A subtle sweetness appears through most of the bowl, adding just a bit of complexity. But altogether this is a very enjoyable & tasty smoke that’s perfect for those moments when I want something mild and mindless. Carter Hall is also very affordable and great for adding a little flavor punch to some of those boring aromatic blends that I regretfully purchased in a fit of TAD. My favorite OTC by far and it leaves my garage smelling quite nice.

Pipe Used: various cobs & briar

Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a great burley smoke with morning coffee or while busy, it taste as good as Prince Albert, a bit sweeter, a bit fruitier, however less nutty and it has less chemical after taste than the prince. Overall this is an excellent mild drugstore tobacco for serious burley smokers.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Extremely Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

The secret component that makes this rustic delight cling to the walls of your pipe has been known, I'm sure, to come out of the wrong end of a sow.

Mutatis mutandis, a horse's detritus might be considered a step up from this thing. Refinement being relative, don't you know.

Percy Dovetussel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Percy Dovetussel (7)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I must admit that I generally looked upon Drug Store brands with disdain in the old days. Most of them were terrible. Only a few tolerable but one more heavily advertised brand stood out by a mile and that was Carter Hall. I recall the commercial that was more of a cartoon where a veteran pipe smoker made remarks about other blends that burn or bite or have smoke that disturbs the room. In retrospect, I should have paid more attention. A recent experience with this blend proved to be most rewarding. A lot of reviews testify to the excellence of this inexpensive tobacco and the testimony of smokers who speak of it's qualities remaining the same from top to bottom are true. Therefore, I join the many in saying this blend is more than meets the nose.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant

Better than Granger and way better than Half & Half, this is "high quality" drugstore tobacco, with very little tongue bite and chemical taste.

That said, there are tons of burley blends way better than this one. Even when they are more expensive, we have only one life to try hundreds of tobaccos. Aim for the good ones, and if you're willing to try the rest and you haven't died yet, consider giving drugstore blends a try, and start with Prince Albert, SWR Aromatic and Walnut.

Rafe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rafe (9)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

This tobacco was once given as an answer to the following question: "If you found yourself away from home with a pipe and no tobacco, would you wait until you got home, or would you duck into a drugstore? And once in the drugstore, which blend would you get?"

Well it so happens I ducked into a drugstore and noticed several boxes on the shelf. For $1.19, what did I have to lose, right?

It ain't bad. In my stash there are "sit-down" tobaccos and there are "road tobaccos". Sit-downs are those pricey tins (MacBaren, Dunhill, Peterson) that I prefer to smoke when I can relax in my big comfy chair and fully experience the pleasure of a premium smoke. "Road tobaccos" are for puttering around in the house or the yard, driving, lunch-break smokes, etc. Carter Hall is a solid choice as a road tobacco, and if you're into smoking a brand for sentimentality, I understand this one has been around a long while. It's an honest blend free of any hideous casing and delivers a nice (if bland) tobacco taste. Won't replace Navy Flake or 3 Year VA, but I'm sure to visit and re-visit Carter Hall in the future.

workingstiff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
workingstiff (39)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Tolerable

I smoke all the so called cheap drugstore burley's and like most all of them. This is a another dependable mild smoke that like Velvet is mild and hard to burn too hot. I think everybody should find one of these easy to find brands that they like as a fall back tobacco when your not able to get to a good tobacco store. Of Middleton's selections, Kentucky Club has more flavor and the Prince is more funky having a more distinct room note and taste. A decent pack of Pinkerton's Velvet is even more smooth then Carter Hall. The nice thing about the simple blends, with the exception of Half and Half, is that you can mix them with other tobacco without really ruining the taste of the stronger flavored tobacco. This of course depends on not over doing it, but hey you can always find a use for these tobaccos. I am very fussy about aromatics but this sort of simple burley smoke is as dependable as vanilla ice cream.

oldcodger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldcodger (32)

In terms of the price to quality ration, Carter Hall is the clear winner. Understand, this is not a gourmet tobacco. In the food analogy, it is hamburger steak, not prime rib or snow crab legs. But as a serviceable everyday smoke without danger to your wallet, it is hard to beat.

Carter Hall is a cross cut burley with just a sprinkling of snowflake shaped Virginia. There is a slight flavoring (plum? plum/rum?) which renders it a semi aromatic, but less that a light aromatic. The taste is mild, mostly natural tobacco, with just that hint of underlying flavoring.

The room note is natural tobacco, and most folk find it pleasant.

Over the decades of my pipe smoking, I have found Cater Hall to be the best tobacco for putting a cake on a new pipe. For me, no other tobacco has come close in this regard.

I do not give Carter Hall the fourth star for it comes short of the "wow, this stuff is really good" accolade. But as a more than decent smoke at a very fair price, it is certainly recommended.

tramroad28 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tramroad28 (26)

My first pipe tobacco experience and opening the "luxury" pouch will always bring a whiff of that time. Recommended from me for nostalgia alone. Dependable drugstore tobacco.

feedsasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
feedsasquatch (19)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Carter Hall is hands down the best OTC blend I have tried to date. It tastes like tobacco, is nutty, doesn't bite, and leaves a nice aftertaste. There isn't much nicotine in it, but enough to notice. It lites well, but doesn't produce tongue burn. Whereas PA tends to get bitter towards the bottom of the bowl, CH doesn't.

CH has replaced PA as my OTC burley of choice for breaking in pipes. 5-10 pleasant half-bowls and you have a nice cake. I will return to this blend again when I run out. For what it is, an OTC plain burley, it is definitely 4 stars! Buy a pouch, it's inexpensive and it won't disappoint!

BBlevins Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BBlevins (102)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I would like you to meet Prince Albert's cross dressing cousin, Carter.

This is not an entirely unpleasant tobacco and is said by many to make a great mixer, but for the guy that just wants a good burley smoke on the cheap, this isn't it because it is too sweet, the result of whatever it is topped with.

That being said, it is still a smokable tobacco. Just not one I would purchase regularly. It lacks the natural, unadulterated goodness of burley and has a "cigarette tobacco" element to it's flavor. I far more prefer the more straight forward burley taste of PA to this.

=UPDATE=

Someone suggested that I mix half Carter Hall and half Prince Albert. I did, and what I found was that I wasted a perfectly good bowl of Prince Albert.

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (64)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

For a "drug store" burley blend, this is actually pretty decent. It lights and packs easily. It delivers a one-dimentional taste of bark, that traditional burley taste. It doesn't bite too much and has a nice aroma. Having said that, I wouldn't be against picking up some of this when I can't get to any better blends or if getting high quality tobaccos becomes very tough. However, I probably won't return to this one as it is nothing to write home about, but it really isn't all that bad either.

UPDATE: Bought another pouch. I detected a strong astringent odor in the pouch. Is that Scotch I smell? The flavor reminds me of a cheap, sweet beer. It isn't bad, but I just don't care for it. Try MacBaren's London Blend Burley or Lane's Burley Mild for a better and still reasonably priced burley.

Nick O'Teen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nick O'Teen (90)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

If you're out of tobacco , having nicotine withdrawal and your only source of relief is at a drug/grocery/convenience store, you could certainly do worse than this one.

Carter Hall is one of the better drugstore blends in that it burns cool, with no bite and doesn't leave a horrible taste in your mouth or pipe.

That's as far as I can go with recommending it.

Wriggles Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wriggles (44)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

A very mild burley tobacco, sold everywhere. No real distinguishing characteristics. A tobacco to be enjoyed while driving, playing golf, or other activity.

Enjoy in a cob for best flavor.

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Mild is the word. Nice taste, but mild. Nicotine was unsatisfing- But is was inexpensive and found everywhere. The one interesting note is it makes a great 50/ 50 blend with Prince Albert. That I would recomend. With about an 8% perique addition- Your having a great time.....But on its own? OK in a pinch.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

Carter Hall is what it is. Drugstore burley. It doesn't pretend to be something it isn't. It's cheap, burns well and tastes ok. That's about all that can be said for it. I carry a pouch in my car and I don't regret it.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Nice middle of the road burley, as previous reviewers have said. It was not offensive in the least and it produced no bite. If I were out of tobacco and found this at the store I would not be disappointed. My second favorite drugstore burley after Kentucky Club.

pagansmurf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pagansmurf (8)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Here where I live Carter Hall is the juvinile detention center, so when I first saw a pouch of this I was a little curious. I find it to be a mild and a relativly enjoyable smoke, something that is good to cleanse the palate after smoking something more heavy such as 1-Q. I have noticed other reviewers saying that when smoked in a corncob it develops a fruity-nutty taste and I would generally agree with that statement. Although I find the taste from the corncob to be much better than that from a briar, from which all I can seem to taste is hay & horse manure. I think I would recomend this if nothing else can be found or if you are on limited funds. For the price, its worth buying.

prison chaplain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
prison chaplain (38)
Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I tried Carter Hall for the first time in a Missouri Meerschaum "General" that has about a 1/4 bent stem. It has a large bowl (3/4" diameter X 1 7/8" depth. I can load it up for the trip home from work and it will last all the way to the driveway, about 35 miles. It is also light on my jaw, smokes like a dream once I remove the filter and my tobaccos smoke well and taste good in it. It has become my favorite pipe and I keep several around. Easy to do for $7.29 a pop plus shipping.

But this is about Carter Hall. When I opened the pouch, I was greeted by a fruity odor, kind of like apples when they begin to decay or ferment. Not a bad odor. Given the cut, it fills and packs easily. The moisture level was fine.

With the first (and only) match Carter Hall took off and burned well. At first, I thought I was in for tongue burn, as the first draws scraped across my offended tongue like a coarse file. After that, the tobacco settled down and my tongue was not further assaulted. I had to "sip" it slowly to accomplish that end.

I will probably finish this pouch, but I have no plans to buy more. Carter Hall is just too mild, both in flavor and nicotine level for me. I was hoping for more of a tobacco taste and scent and I did not get it. Among the drugstore burleys, I much prefer Hickory, which, once the strong hickory scent subsides, provides a smoke with more nicotine punch and more tobacco flavor.

Jevverrett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jevverrett (26)

As I was reviewing the prince, it dawned on me I had missed this one as well. It's not a bad blend at all for what it is. I also want to go on the record as stating I have never, to my knowledge, found a piece of broken va flake in carter hall.

It's a cheap OTC blend that is rich on burley. Like some others have pointed out, it is an excellent blending base for home concoctions. It can mellow out an over the top blend like a dream. I smoked a big heap of this blend some years ago largely due to its simplicity, and price. It is tasty though. And it packs and burns well enough that you barely need to think about what your doing. Good tobacco for working in the yard or at your desk. Good for reading too. I have moved on to more complex things over the years, but I do still grab a packet of this and a cob at the drug store some times when I'm out on the road and didn't bring anything with me.

Having written this, I suddenly have the hankering to get some. May do that tomorrow while I'm out. Might be a good smoke while I watch my little boy playing at the park. I hope you will give it a try. Millions of old pipe guys can't be wrong.

Pipe Used: Various Grabows, MM cobs

Age When Smoked: Fresh pouches

Purchased From: Almost any shop with tobacco

chgo.piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chgo.piper (37)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I've been smoking a lot of burley lately and I've been really enjoying Carter Hall with the morning coffee. after about three mugs of high-quality beans, I'm ready to draw deep on a tasty, smooth and slight chocolaty burley, and Carter Hall allows me to do just that. Carter Hall is a damn good OTC blend that I enjoy smoking in both a corn cob or a briar and works best and also taste best when packing my pipe using the air-pocket method... Keep Smoking.

Whenever posting a few thoughts on a drugstore, over the counter blend, I often struggle with whether or not it should be rated on what it is intended to be (OTC) or lump it together with the more boutique blends. When it comes to Carter Hall, for me, it doesn't make any difference because either way it is a pretty nice, lightly aromatic blend. After taking a fair amount of time drying CH out, it packs with ease, and burns smoothly. There is a slight undertone of nuttiness, but less than I expected. There is no complexity here so if that's what you seek don't look here. CH is sweet, but not sickly sweet. My only real negative is the slight, but only slight, chemical taste. I experienced no bite whatsoever although if you have a sweet tooth, there may be a temptation to over puff it so I can see how it might be a possible biter. I find CH a great tobacco for those seeking a decent, affordable tobacco at a budget price.

Clarkus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Clarkus (26)

I've put off reviewing CH while I delve deeper into what American classic burley blends are left. After 40 years of smoking mostly tobacco shop fare, I've come to the conclusion that what I'm looking for in a smoke is best found among these venerable old blends.

I didn't care for CH on my first attempt. My second was better than the first but I still found it lacking something but I kept picking up a pouch here and there and now I seem to be smoking it regularly. Actually, I seem to be loving it. It may not be a complex blend but it isn't a completely simple one either. I finally hit the "lovely" spot. I'm not buying any more pouches; I'm buying a tub. My Middleton collection is now comprised of Walnut, Sugar Barrel and Cherry Blend and will soon include Carter Hall. These blends are not good cheap smokes, they are good smokes. CH really is a beautiful smoke.

If Middleton increased the price 150% and put it in a small tin, they probably couldn't produce enough to satisfy the market.

LivingFreeinTN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LivingFreeinTN (8)

Tried Carter Hall mainly for the $2.49 price tag on the pouch and in somewhat of an emergency(long car trip, no tobacco).The taste was initially sweet, then faded away and reappeared periodically throughout. It wasn't harsh although no matter how I smoked it, it always seemed to smoke hot. Anyway, if you're in a pinch, you could do a whole lot worse than Carter Hall. Recommend.

UPDATE: There's something about Carter Hall,the more I smoke it the better I like it. Very pleasant. I think I'm going for the big tin and cellar it. Nothing wrong with this price or taste. Just a good mild tobacco.

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (84)

The best of the "OTC" blends. A decent mixer for aromatics that lack smokability. Pleasant enough when smoked slowly to avoid the chemical bite so common with OTCs (the pipe versions of sheet tobacco). I'll call this one the best of the worst. But honestly- there are so many better choices. However, if you must smoke OTC tobacco, and there are times when I've had to, smoke this one.

I'll agree with previous reviews though: it does somehow smoke better in a cob. Over time, this blend has grown on me. And I'll reach for it from time to time. But I can't give it more than two stars given the other high quality burley blends available at roughly the same price per ounce from Mac Baren, Hearth & Home, etc.

Edit 02/14: They say a man admits his mistakes. So I'm admitting mine. This blend has really grown on me. I find myself reaching for it more and more often. There's a unique flavor profile here that's sweet and ever-so-slightly tangy. It's an easy, unchallenging smoke that works all day and is a good break in the evening between more complex blends. As such, I'm raising my review from two to three stars.

Similar Blends: John Middleton, Inc - Sugar Barrel.

Sailorjack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sailorjack (57)

I don't smoke burley blends much anymore but if you like old codger burleys than I don't see how one wouldn't enjoy CH. I have smoked a good deal of Middleton's Sugar Barrel and enjoy it more but this is a tasty, relaxing smoke. Only negative is a fast burn.

bryantm3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bryantm3 (29)

Carter Hall doesn't pretend to be something it's not: It's got nothing in it except burley, burley, and more burley (and a little, but not overloaded with, Propylene Glycol). There is no flavouring apparent. It naturally tastes a bit like walnuts, and has a dry, cool smoking quality, unlike most other drugstore tobaccos. It doesn't try too hard, its taste and strength are very mild. It leaves only a tiny bit of dottle and burns into a fine, grey ash. However, the taste can be rather boring and dry, and like other John Middleton tobaccos, they seem to taste like dry nuts, and nothing else. If you'd like to try a classic, try this or Prince Albert (preferrably Prince Albert, as it's half a star better), but it's not all that fantastic except for tradition.

Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

I used to smoke this exclusively for about ten years until I discovered all the great private tobaccos I now smoke. It is mild, just a touch sweet, burns well and stays lit to the bottom. It has a slightly sweet smell in the pouch and a pleasant room note that has never brought a complaint (except to smoke police). It is a good basic blend that acts as a good mixer, is fairly easy to find and if mixed with Borkum Riff Bourbon blend is great. I am on to better things now but a great starter tobacco and at a very good price.

Henry Mars Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Henry Mars (20)

This is probably the first pipe tobacco I ever smoked .... (45 years ago?) It has been around forever and I don't think that it is going away any time soon. What you have here is a basic burly concoction augmented with a mild flavoring agent and a mild casing, which is typical of tobaccos in this class. When smoked slowly it produces a mild nutty tasting smoke that doesn't change much. This is my "yard work tobacco" because you don't have to worry about your technique short of not puffing to fast because if you do it will leave you mouth crying and your head spinning as will most burly tobacco mixtures.

If you are expecting some kind of epiphany forget it. There are far better burly mixtures out there. On the other hand, this stuff is cheap and it isn't quite mulch. 2.5 stars.

Markos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Markos (4)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Well, I read all the good reviews and hype and was really hoping I'd like Carter Hall. I do not. I agree with a previous reviewers recomendation to just take it for what it is. It is a simple, old fashioned, inexpensive tobacco, and it tastes just like what it is. From the moment I opened the pouch, the aroma was not to my liking. There was an odd smell that didn't set well with my palate or stomach. This mystery element also came through in the smoke. It's kind of a chemical odor. The leaf is obviously of a lesser grade than that found in the pricier brands, although it seems decent enough. It smokes cool and stays lit with little effort, but unfortunately it is completely one dimensional. If I hadn't been fortunate enough to smoke all the "designer" blends I have, then maybe I might like this more, but it just doesn't do anything for me. In its day it was the norm, but now it has to be compared to some really intricate and complex blends. It's like one man humming compared to a full symphony orchestra. Not that I want to compare it to anything else, but I can't help but notice how it just pales in comparison to the designer blends. So it is what it is. I'd give it one star, but I'll give it two because it's so inexpensive.

Amos Iron Wolf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Amos Iron Wolf (7)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I like my various English blends and smoke mostly those. Unfortunately, I smoke outside and down around San Antone, It gets too hot early in the year and stays that way until late in the year. Smokey Latakias just don't do it for me in the heat. I can't do the modern type aromatics at all. I've been venturing into the world of VA & VA/mixed flakes. However, there are times, more times than not actually, I would like to have a tasty, easy to smoke blend that works year round.

Where a fine English/Balkan blend, or a fine VA fits the contemplative, meaning of life, philosophical mode, there are times ya just want to kick back and reflect, or just enjoy a moment without having to be tuned in to every subtle, changing nuance. Carter Hall is that fishing hole, sitting by the barn, faded overalls and work boots kind of smoke.

I grew up on a farm in Southern Ohio and we raised Burley. I drove tractors without cabs, A/C and stereos. Growing tobacco is hard work and a gamble. But, I have some fond memories of farmers pitching in to help plant, harvest/hang, and later strip the tobacco crop, as well as cooperating on getting other crops planted and harvested. Recreation was country too. Not too many fellows there who smoked Dunhills stuffed with imported, tinned tobaccos. American Burley blends in the various working man's pipes were what those who smoked a pipe carried around.

On a nostalgic note I tried to find one of those basic, still to be found in a drug or grocery store blends. The Prince and Granger just did not cut it. Sir Walter Raleigh Aromtaic is decent, but taste ashey towards the end and can bite in a breeze or if you smoke it too quick.

I came back and gave Carter Hall a real try. I found a downright pleasant smoke. As others have mentioned, a cob is the ultimate place for this simple mix. But any decent briar works just fine.

You can turn it spicey and a wee bitter if you smoke it too fast. It's tasty enough with a nice creamy smoke you just want to puff away on it. Slow down to keep that flavor to the bottom. It doesn't bite much and smokes pretty cool overall.

Will it replace my tinned tobaccos? No. However, it may relegate them to times when they can be savored and thoroughly enjoyed. Instead of tiring my palate by smoking many pipefulls of English and VA types and reducing my appreciation of them, Carter Hall gives me a tasty, pleasant, enjoyable smoke throughout the day or when I just want to amble about. Then when the time comes to really indulge in a fine tobacco, I get the most out of that tobacco. Oh yeah, and it quickly brings back the memories of hardwoods in the fall, the smell of hay and curing tobacco in the barn.

I give it three stars that it can stand on alone regardless of class. If comparing it to others in its class, DS the like, it should be considered a four star.

When simple pleasure is on the menu, this is it.

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (115)

This old-time drug store blend has its positive features: simple, uncomplicated, readily available, and burns well. But the fruit top-note just doesn't appeal to me that much. I really enjoy burleys, and there are better ones out there that are still straightforward and old-fashioned.

bighitter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bighitter (37)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

you know, I don't know what I was thinking. I was trying to convince myself this was a super light aromatic, which it may be, but it doesn't matter to me, because I just can't deal with noticeable flavorings. Okay, I'm sure someone will say there's often some sugar or mollases in some blends I like (perhaps McClelland's?), but I can deal with that I guess as long as it mostly tastes like tobacco. My favorite tobaccos right now are the Cornell and Diehl varieties like Old Joe Krantz, Night Train and Three Friars. They claim they use only distilled water in their processing, so I guess it must be true I don't like additional flavorings. Anyway, it's amazing the flavors that are already in those types of blends, so I just honestly don't understand aromatics. I hate to be so confrontational here at the review site of America's most popular aromatic, if you don't count Lane 1-Q I suppose.

I will say this tobacco is made with some good burley, of a lighter color than I normally see, and there are probably some Virginia brights in there also. It's a shame as every once in a while very late in the bowl (well, starting around mid-bowl really) I get some great tobacco flavors. But all the time, and especially during the awful first half of the bowl, all I can taste is that terrible apple or orange liqueur flavor. Yuck. I just wanted to taste some tobacco. What can I say to stop whining about it? I like Prince Albert much better, maybe the flavoring there is a little more subtle I guess, and the tobacco probably undergoes a different process. All I can say is that I wish they made a "natural" version of Carter Hall, without the flavorings.

Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (57)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Update: Any blend containing significant amounts of propylene glycol makes me ill, very ill. I like the taste and aroma and price of Carter Hall. Its a straight Burley, and a good one, but the ppg makes me sick everytime. ---- At least I think its the ppg that makes me sick, if not, it is something else common to the several drugstore blends that I can no longer smoke, Prince Albert, Captn Black, etc. I become extremely nauseous after smoking these blends. They leave a specific after taste I can't describe that always accompanys my nausea.

Carter Hall is otherwise a simple, satisfying, affordable, and readily available smoke.

2 stars for me.

I can get this stuff for $1.89/pouch locally.

That alone gets it 2 stars.

I hope it doesn't skyrocket in popularity anytime soon or else they'll start taxing it at $6/pouch.

Thanks,

Ethan

BEN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BEN (58)

I recently purchased some Carter Hall to reminisce on the old days when this and Captain Black were the only tobacco's I could afford. CH has not changed at all..just your basic, pleasant, no frills Burley which is much more agreeable on the tongue than Prince Albert..which in my opinion is a step down from CH. I will keep this around for my corncob pipes...which I feel CH smokes best out of....also my advice on this tobacco is to avoid large bowls because it does tend to get bitter towards the bottom...the only resemblence to Prince Albert, fortunately.

Extremely Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

This is something in between Prince Albert and Half&Half. A very conventional burley, with a hint of Virginias (at least in the aroma), and a rather sharp, acidic note. Mild and virtually flavorless, it is prepared with the same industrial care of many a drug store blend, hence it packs easily, it lights quickly and it burns trouble free. Again, not a bad choice if stuck in the middle of nowhere, or if just wanting to have a few puffs when in public. Personally, I prefer Half& Half or the Prince, but I recently smoked this one in a shopping mall, just before going to a movie theater, and it served its purpose perfectly well.

akaiser77 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
akaiser77 (52)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

Carter Hall advertises itself as "A Distinguished Tobacco Mixture." I have smoked this on occasion with a certain amount of pleasure, but it has never been something I would seek out. For lovers of plain burley, it's certainly better than Prince Albert. For those with more refined palates, it has little to offer.

Pkloop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pkloop (43)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

I occasionaly smoke this blend in the summer heat. Tastes along the same lines as Prince Albert with what I feel is a slight fruity taste. You can do better and much worse. Will do in a pinch. But not something I keep around for cellaring. Hey its a cheap and readily available pipe tobacco which is becoming increasingly rare..at least in these parts.

NHPro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NHPro (3)

Well I must say, this blend surprised me the most so far of all the OTC tobaccos I tried. Very mild and mellow tasting with chocolate overtones? In the pouch it has a bit of a wine scent, but I didn't taste it during my smoke. Instead I enjoyed an overall easy smoking and rewarding mixture of Burley that is easy to pack and stays lit with no bite. A simple man's pipe tobacco, I like that. Carter Hall is a must try and will probably be agreeable to most pipe aficionados.

Pipe Used: Corn Cob Classic

Age When Smoked: Shelf 1 year?

Purchased From: Smoking Joe's

teaandpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
teaandpipe (3)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

The first real burley blend I've had. Didn't like it at first, but it's really grown on me and I like it quite a bit now. A blend every pipe smoker should try. Also is very pleasant with some Latakia blended in.

Pipe Used: MM Cob

Mark O Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mark O (6)

Carter Hall is my favorite codger burley. It's the only tobacco I'll buy in a tub. If you want to just sit and relax without having to constantly nurture and coax your tobacco to burn; if you don't want to smoke a bouquet of flowers or a fruity salad; if you like the smell of bread baking and a sweet, mild, burley flavor with a nutty topping then this tobacco is for you. It has a sweeter taste that PA and non of the chemical or cough syrup overtones that I get with Half and Half. CH burns clean and fine with no relights or residue. Nothing complex here. It's just simple, wholesome goodness.....Extra wholesome with a nice cup of coffee.

Pipe Used: Good in a cob, good in an expensive briar.....

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (86)

This is just a great burley from Middleton. Light and airy, easy in a cob, perfect for breaking in a pipe. 12 ounces is $23 to $25, that's the cheapest I've seen a tub and it is a great value. I just love the luxury pouch (a vinyl covered foil) as it carries well in the pocket and is just so nostalgic! Four stars for quality to price ratio. Three stars because I do not smoke it daily as it would bore me but does make a fantastic blender. Much tastier imo than Prince Albert and ilk...

= One of my favorite puttering around the house blends is Half Carter Hall, Half Captain Black Dark. Amazing Black and Tan blend=

Pipe Used: Cob, Briar, Meerschaum

Purchased From: From WV Smokeshop

Similar Blends: Prince Albert - Prince Albert, Velvet - Velvet.

Shoog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shoog (13)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This has been my go to blend since I have started pipe smoking. Carter Hall is one of those tobaccos the never disappoints. Very pleasant raisin like smell from the tub. Tons of cool creamy smoke. It is one of the few blends that has never bit me despite how I abuse it. It does burn a tad on the fast side but for the price and availability I'm ok with that. (Just load up another bowl if you feel the need, it's cheap enough). It is the ONLY tobacco I can smoke all day with no negative effects or it wearing on my taste buds. Carter Hall may lack the snob appeal but that's just another positive in my opinion.

CGHurlburt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CGHurlburt (24)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

I'm the kind of guy that will try anything once. There aren't to many OTC brands out there I haven't given a go. Most all of them have disappointed me. Prince Albert was the best I could find in the OTC world. Well, move over sweet prince.

Carter Hall is slightly better than PA. It has an untheatening flavor that is true tobacco while not biting at all. Bite is my biggest issue with OTC pouch tobaccos. Carter Hall is mellow and smooth from start to finish. I bought my little pouch while out of town and wanting a pipe smoke badly. I didn't have any pipes or tobacco with me so I stopped by a tobacco store and purchased the Carter Hall and a decent Dr.Grabow all for under $25. It did the trick.

Now that I'm home my little pouch of Carter Hall isn't getting smoked. But I know it is there for me when I need it and that when that time comes it will be a decent smoke. For the money, you can't go wrong. Its inexpensive tobacco and a far cry better than just about all the other OTC brands out there. It will never be my go-to smoke. But it will be one of the few OTC brands I'll respect.

Three stars out of four. If you're in a pinch and need a smoke, you'll be satisfied with this stuff as opposed to the other offerings in your typical tobacco store.

Thbg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thbg (25)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco is a simple blend of burley and broken viginia flake with a light "fruit/liquor" topping. It is very mild, hard to make it bite. Leaves a smooth, nutty, creamy, faint sweetness on the palate. It is refreshing and has a "clean" taste to it that is perfect for hot summer weather.

The burley does the driving but VA can be detected and adds to the overall composition. Exhale through your nose and you will notice that VA zest.

Smells great while burning and has attracted more positive comments from bystandards than other burley blends, but will leave a cigarette-ish smell lurking if smoked inside that my wife hates. So watch out for that.

At just over $20 for 14OZ this is a steal and I find this blend to be very underated due to its drug store status.

I have found that a bowlful of CH in a Dr. Grabow Grand Duke is one of life's simple pleasures. Old Pop-Pop had it right.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)

I have been gradually easing myself into exploring some of the Burleys out there, having initially avoided them after some early bad experiences with Prince Albert and Half & Half. Carter Hall affords a great deal of respect both here and on the various tobacco forums, so at the local drug store I figured, "Why not?", and picked out a pouch, including another helping of Prince Albert, to see if my tastes had changed.

The smell emanating from the pouch was delicious, like fresh chocolate, warm and sweet. The cut is rough, not exactly a ribbon, nor anything else I might describe, though it has an almost pellet like look. I puffed away my first time around fully expecting to be grossed out. I wasn't. That familiar "nutty" description blasted my receptors. Not bad!

People criticize these drug store blends for the inclusion of chemicals that allow the tobacco to keep, and those that aid in controlling burn. I must say, I can't recall a tobacco firing this quick--it lit with barely a flame and immediately took off. To that end, I sense somewhat of a metallic, synthetic taste that I don't detect with some of the higher quality Burleys like Solani's Aged Burley Flake, my standard for the leaf.

I must be honest here and divulge that my long standing and early negative impressions of Half & Half and Prince Albert have bred a seeming distaste for the average Codger Burley that encompasses more than a fair share of fans. Consistent with that opinion, subsequent smokes of Carter Hall proved less appealing, as that nutty flavor fell deeper into the background and that metallic note grew increasingly evident. I haven't given up on the blend yet, however, though I admit that it will be difficult to finish this pouch.

At this point I'm not certain whether tastes change or even where I stand with these drug store Burleys. I can tell you with absolute certainty that my reunion with Prince Albert didn't go well. I'm going to throw that bastard out of my house.

PastorPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PastorPipe (17)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Many of the best things in life don't cost a lot of money; Carter Hall is one of them. I bought the 1.5 oz "luxury pouch." Upon opening the pouch I get the beautiful aroma of a Cadbury Fruit and Nut Bar--chocolate with raisins and hazelnuts. The tobacco burned evenly and consistently and required no relighting until about the last quarter of the bowl where it was a little 'wet.' However, I think a little drying would cure this. I got just the slightest bit of gurgle. The flavor is mild and sweet, but not too sweet. I sipped it slowly and gently and there is was no tongue bite. About half-way down it got a little stronger, but not harsh. To smoke the last quarter of the bowl, I tapped the ash out and then re-lit, and it was very nice. This is just a straight forward "old timey" pipe tobacco that's really nostalgic and nice. I'm now a CH fan.

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (100)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I guess I was lured by these glowing reports of CH. I am pretty much an English blend smoker and of those mostly those by Cornell & Diehl and McClelland, but I do on occasion enjoy several Lane bulk aromatics (I know, weird) in a cob. Thus, when I saw a 1.5 oz pouch yesterday at grocery store for only $2.79 I figured to give this a try. Going slightly against the consensus here, I did not really enjoy this. It did not offend me outright, but did not satisfy either. Added to this was the amazing effect of giving my tongue a rasping after two bowls spaced 5 hours apart. As I smoke up to 8 bowls of C&D's Engine99 (which is like their Pirate Kake on steroids) I was surprised. Hey, I gave it a try...the remainder of pouch will go to longterm storage in my stash against the coming tobacco prohibition days ahead, unless I find a fellow Tobacco Review member in Pittsburgh to gift him this.

I find it incredible that Middleton would discontinue a fine blend such as London Dock and keep making this. I guess the bottom line rules- no surprise.

Saluki Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Saluki (11)
Mild Medium Mild Tolerable

I did not find the topping of Carter Hall to be particularly pleasant. This is a decent smoke; however, I prefer Granger or Prince Albert.

DakotaPeacePipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DakotaPeacePipe (33)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

More that a few reviewers have likened this blend to a sweetened version of Prince Albert. I tend to agree. Nice burley blend, simple all day smoke. The sweetness I detect in this blend is of the same fermented nature I find in another Middleton blend - Sugar Barrel. However the sweetness in Cater Hall is much subdued as compared to its Sugar Barrel cousin, and I do not detect the ashiness found as the bowl progresses with SB. There is much to like with Carter Hall and little to fault, this would easily deserve 3 ½ stars if that were an option, I cant give it 4 stars as that would put it on equal footing with my beloved Prince Albert.

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (71)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I have to say, im a little disappointed with this one. I love burley blends,and puff on them daily. I found the cut to be fairly inconsistant, as well as poor grade tobacco seemed to be used as filler(large chunks and sticks). Upon opening the pouch i found the smell pleasant, kinda nutty(pecans and cashews)and somewhat hoppy, almost malty.After doing the three finger pinch, i found this blend to be a little dry, but i understand some like it that way. It packed well, and stayed lit all the way through, it tasted of good stout or porter with mild accents of walnuts,but not too overpowering as to take away form the burley flavour(i dont think this blend is cased, the flavouring must just be the properties of this specific tobacco) Around mid-bowl i found it to get a little hot, although i tend to smoke a little fast.Towards the last half, the "burley bitters" showed their ugly head, and i opted to dump the bowl and re-pack.(typical of drugstore burleys)I did purchase several pouches, and my review may change after i finish them all. I also realize that buying the tub may offer a fresher, moister tabac, and more consistant baccy, as ive came to this conclusion with other blends as well. I prefer Half&Half and Prince albert, but i would buy this again as a change of pace. Its worth a try!

Smokey D Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smokey D (5)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my second review. I really enjoy putting my taste sensations into words. With Carter Hall it is simple! Straight forward burley period. Nutty, bite proof and tasty. I am smoking it while I am typing (excuse me- hen pecking) and I am quit distracted. I want to do nothing but enjoy the moment! So I will keep it short. Go down to the local pharmacy, walk in like you own the place and buy all they have, you wont regret it!

joseph Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
joseph (46)

Nothing much to add to the numberous reviews on this one. It's a plain Burley, of which I don't like the topping very much. Not far as good as e.g. Moe's Confetti (a John Patton blend). A nice property of Carter Hall is its ability to really make disasters blends smokebla, this works especially nice with 'over the top', goopy aromatics. Fur this purpose Carter Hall is recommended to have around.

Moe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Moe (45)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Carter Hall to me is like Prince Albert lite. I find it similar in flavor to the Prince, only not quite as flavorful, not quite as much nicotine, not quite as satisfying. I dont drink near beer, or decafienated coffee either .Its like the Princes little brother that hasnt grown up yet. If there was no PA, I might smoke this. But since this is not the case. Ill stick to the real deal. 2 stars for it being half as good as the Prince.

flaminbill' Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flaminbill' (57)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I just can't handle this weed on its own. I have used it as a blender and it is adequate in that regard. I don't belong to the anti-burley brigade, I actually like quite a few. This isn't one of them.

jackhackett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jackhackett (76)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Yes, if you've been exiled to the provinces and have only drugstores to fill your pipe, Carter Hall will suffice.

I've found CH to be less disappointing than the other brands offered, though this is likely simply because it attempts less than the other brands.

Consistent but somewhat hollow in taste; bottom third can sometimes require an early death.

Cover your nose, here come the peasants. That'll do, pig.

Skilling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skilling (80)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

Another straight burley blend that really doesn't offer anything but ....... burley.

Slightly nutty. Slight bitterness as you near bottom. And yes, it does remind one of cigars.

This blend, to me, lacks something?

When a match is placed upon it.......................... it burns.

Bonneville Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bonneville (23)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Odd that after reviewing a dozen or so "premium" blends I choose to review this one- a drug store blend that everybody's grandpa smoked. It is this reason that I decided to pick up a pouch and try it- for historic insight.

Frankly, I was surprised by this stuff. I actually enjoy smoking it. Some pluses are that it packs easily and burns extremely well. The taste is pretty mono but smooth and creamy.

I definitely recommend it.

2 stars for you experienced smokers who like English and Virginia blends but are either feeling adventurous or can't find anything else.

4 stars for those who are beginners, or those who like simple straightforward and readily available tobacco

3 stars average

Pipe Used: Eriksen Keystone

Purchased From: Beehive Cigars

Similar Blends: Prince Albert, Kentucky Club.

Mark Andrew Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mark Andrew (3)

I am new to pipe smoking, but I think this tobacco is quite pleasant for an OTC. It's definitely a mild smoke all around, but it's not so mild that you feel like you're smoking steam. The smoke it gives off is thick and creamy, with a hint of sweetness and no nasty chemical after taste. It definitely could have some more "pizazz" but by no means is this blend unpleasant to me. Good buy at a great price!

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cob, "The Legend"

Age When Smoked: Just opened

Purchased From: Smoke shop

Backwoods Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Backwoods Piper (50)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

As mentioned in Pipe Stud's review this is an excellent blend for breaking in a new pipe. This is a premium burly that is a perfect smoke anytime. CH burns bite free and somewhat fast as most burly's do and as previously mentioned in other reviews has a great no nonsense tobacco flavor. CH is cased with a small amount of vanilla and gives it a sweet nutty flavor. I Have been smoking CH for years I love the aroma too, takes me back to a simpler time.

Pipe Used: Cobs and Briars

Purchased From: pipesandncigars.com and otc

Palermo09 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Palermo09 (20)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Tolerable

Not a fan of this tobacco. Very one dimensional in that it has no flavor. No nicotine kick for me which would at least give it something. I tried using it to blend with other blends, but even then it brought nothing to the table.

Pipe Used: Various

Purchased From: Pharmacy

TnRooster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TnRooster (15)

I bought a pouch after hearing good things about it. Smoked it a couple of times, put it in a drawer and forgot about it. About 6-7 months later, I stumbled across it in the drawer. I pulled it out, not wanting to waste it and was pleasantly surprised at how smooth and nutty it had become. It was really tasty. Now I stock up on it( only $2.50 a pouch in my area) and eagerly await it getting some age to it. I can't get over how good the flavor had become. Hope it wasn't a fluke and the others come out just as nice!

Talltree Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talltree (10)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

I like mild tobaccos because I have an aversion to nicotine, but honestly, they all seem to get dull. I bought several types of highly recommended burleys and found them just as dull. Carter Hall, for a mild tobacco, has a surprisingly good strong taste although it is harsh toward the end of the bowl. No nicotine dizziness and no mouth bite, just a pleasant tobacco taste. The best part - I can get it at the grocery store for a decent price.

It tastes good in any pipe but particularly good in a corn cob.

Pipe Used: Dr. Grabow bent, corn cob

Age When Smoked: any age

Purchased From: King Sooper

gibsonisbetter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gibsonisbetter (1)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

took me a couple occasional bowls to get used to this one but it is very pleasant . i live in a dorm so i have to go out to my car to enjoy smoking the pipe but the next day i love the note this blend leaves in the car, however im still a diehard latakia blend fan haha

Pipe Used: MY pipe

Purchased From: liberty tobacco, california

Steden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steden (84)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I was gifted of CH by Clarkus (Steve, thanks again) and I’m glad he did. Review number 300! Everything has been wrote about CH, so no surprise: a mild and comfortable blend, nutty and chocolatey but not too sweet, there's even a bit of sapidity (expecially in a meer) and others subtleties, it doesn’t bites at all and doesn’t get bitter toward the end as some Burleys do. My only complain is the topping, not bad but it doesn’t fit my preferences, luckily it’s a mild touch and disappears after a few puffs.

Pipe Used: cob, meer, briars

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (110)

An excellent basic blend and value. Pleasant change-up when you are partaking of blends intended to be more complex. Particularly when sipped, CH delivers complexity and depth, that you don't have to search for. The nutty burley and Virginia component complement each other quite well. Burns clean and easy. I also use GH in a blend with equal parts Granger and Sunset Breeze, as a break-in blend. 4 stars.

Pipe Used: MM

Age When Smoked: Purchased 3 months ago

Purchased From: Corona Smoke Shop, Battle Creek, MI

Hunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hunter (38)

Your basic burley blend. Slightly nutty, smokes easily without having to think about it much. Works well in a cob. Burns clean and is nice to the people around you. I buy CH occasionally for a nice car-smoke.

Pipe Used: Cob, briar

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (111)

I got this one as a result of a recent trade via PSF.com as it's unavailable here in the UK. I have been wanting to get my hands on it for a long time as it seems to be a much talked blend. I did some reading up on it, mainly the reviews on here, so had a rough idea what to expect and, it turns out, it didn't disappoint.

The initial packaging of the 1.5 ounce packets I had, for me, were a pleasant novelty, to come in a nicely presented foil wrapper in a nice box was certainly pleasantly different. The aroma, too, was something a little different, something akin to confectionery, perhaps a mildly flavoured bubblegum. Packing was very easy due to the finely cut ribbons as was lighting. The smoke carried on much the same as the aroma from the packet, a nice mild and sweet flavour. This flavour and the aroma, however, developed into something a little nutty, though maintaining the sweetness. As for tonguebite, I got a little to begin with but after four of five smokes it disappeared.

I can understand why this is so widely and highly regarded. No, it's not a fantastic tobacco, it's not the same standard as, say, RDF or FVF, but then it doesn't pretend to be. It is a good, cheap and easily affordable (for the US anyway). Yes, it is quite obviously cased, but is done so expertly. Comparing this to "better" tobaccos is like comparing bubblegum with steak, there is no comparison. Sadly, it's not so cheap to get in the UK, what with international shipping charges and all, and even if it were on general sale over it would probably still cost the same as most OTC blends over here, somewhere in the region of £10 or £11 for 50g, saying that I would probably still buy it, even at those prices, though perhaps not so often as I'd like. Saying that though, I can see why it's so well regarded, it's designed to be cheap, not designed and then made cheaply.

The Right Reverend Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Right Reverend (35)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Taking my tour of OTC classic tobaccos I found Carter Hall to be a pleasant surprise. While very mild in taste it did have a light nutty flavor here and there as I smoked a bowl, mixed in with the slight burley flavor. The flavor is so mild I hesitate to call it an aromatic as the packaging says. Like most of the OTC's it lit well, burned consistently down to the bottom of the bowl. This is certainly something you could smoke daily and your tongue won't fall off or have a ashtray in your mouth the next morning. The room note was very light and neutral. I would say this is the best, for me, of the OTC tobaccos I have tried. A solid unpretentious blend that is worth a try.

Update 5/30/14: Upped to four stars because this has become my everyday smoke.

Pipe Used: Cob

tleek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tleek (51)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend definitely has its place. It is a simple burly blend with enough virginias to take away the bitterness burly can develop and add a level of sweetness.

This tobacco tastes the way hay or fresh cut grass smells, with a layers of nuttiness and sweetness.

A simple smoke that works well with your morning coffee,in between smokes, or when you have something to do.

For example, I am a college student and am currently enrolled in an online class. I just went through a bowl while I worked through some of my assignments. I enjoyed every puff and packed up another pipe to smoke while I finish.

Its that kind of smoke. The kind you do not need to concentrate on, but is nonetheless incredibly satisfying. It burns to nothing on one or two lights, smokes cool, and requires little to no maintenance.

I am a tobacco snob, and have smoked and reviewed many blends. dont turn your nose up to this tobacco, or an of the other american classics for that matter just because you can get them at walgreens for four dollars.

They have there place, just as coca-cola and bud light do.

Of the drugstore blends I have tried, this is by far the best!

Corncob3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Corncob3 (24)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

WE HAVE BEEN UNFAIRLY CHASTISING CARTER HALL FOR YEARS. And I would like to finally clear the smoke of uncertainty that is mistakenly attached to this blend. I will admit that I have been improperly smoking CH for a long time. As one reviewer stated, this makes a great blending tobacco and he's right. Not until this last purchase of a tub of CH and a little experimentation, did I realize what I had been missing out on. I read from another reviewer that this blend was cigarette tobacco disguised as pipe tobacco. Make no mistake this IS pipe tobacco-good, old fashion and strong. This blend works differently from other OTC's. Are you ready for me to reveal the secret on how to make CH really shine......................AIR and TIME!!. Just as a freshly uncorked bottle of wine needs time to breathe, so does this blend. Take one to two ounces and place in an open plastic container. Let it set overnight. Roughly 8-10 hours. Instead of drying out the leaf actually gains moisture. And brother, are you in for a very rewarding smoke. The best way to describe the taste is rich, mildy sweet and slightly tangy (citrus-like). The room note reminds me of lemon bundt cake baking in the oven mixed with just the right amount of all spice and sweet cream. Yes, it's that good. This blend however, tends to be a one pipe type. So have a pipe handy that is only used to smoke this blend. It really shines in a cob. In a briar you'll get a slightly peppery overtone (which adds a delightful bit of character to the flavor). Don't forget the old addage that a well cleaned pipe means one sweet smoke-that definetely applies here. CH is finely cut so it performs well with a full bowl that is packed right and not pushed too hard when smoked. Otherwise the tobacco has a habit of shifting at the bottom of the bowl, which results in air pockets. So please give CH another chance. You won't regret it. 4 stars for Carter Hall! And remember any blend of pipe tobacco you buy in a store is bought OTC. OTC doesn't mean inferior. Now on a side, I have a thrifty way you can avoid spending excessive amounts of $$$ on pipe cleaner. Go to any arts and crafts store, or large retailer that has a arts and crafts department. Look for a product called fuzzy sticks or has a similiar name. They usually come in packs of 100. They're extra long, come in a variety of colors and can be easily cut in half. These make great piper cleaner and usually run under $3 a bag.

Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

How to review an American classic that is cheaper yet superior to many of its OTC competition. I had toyed with the idea of giving it four stars just upon this alone, but when compared to other burley virginia mixes abailable out there, I can't, in good conscience give it four stars. All that said I really did enjoy my time with Carter Hall. All 14 oz in the giant plastic tub that I bought nearly two years ago at the grocery store.

I usually cannot stand a chemical taste to tobacco, but somehow it doesn't bother me as much with CH. How do I know that this is chemically cased? Well, one look at the plastic tub reveals its less than ideal storage capability. Just the slightest grab at the sides will cause the top to pop off. Yet for nearly two years, this tobacco never changed in moisture level or taste. And even with all of this going on, I still enjoyed this more than LJ Heart Burley from P & C. That is saying a lot when I enjoy a cased tobacco more than a more natural rendition of the same.

This smokes best out of a cob. I started amoking it that way as the cob was the only pipe I had when I bought it and the codgers at PSF convinced me to continue smoking it that way. There are many on the forum who have smoked longer than I have been alive who smoke this blend almost exclusively, so that is also saying something.

So needless to say I do recommend thsi blend. It is good and it is cheap. If you are not crazy about it, you will not be out of much cash and it can be used to tone down someother blends as it makes a great blending element. It can easily be enjoyed all day long and it has a decent nicotine boost. I have since smoked Five Brothers and Sir Walter Raleigh and put those two up close to CH, but I think CH still rules the roost for drugstore American blends.

onemangang Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
onemangang (1)

This is my first review! I've been reading this site for years. I've smoked a pipe since 1987. I normally smoke Va's/VaPers but after reading the many reviews for CH, I had to give it a go.

I was driving down the road enjoying my first bowl of this stuff in a Stanwell when the perfect description hit me.

I used to ride mountain bikes and enjoyed high-end equipment. For some reason, I sold my mountain bike and got a beach cruiser. When I ride my cruiser, I don't have to wear lycra shorts and other technical gear. I can ride my cruiser in my flip-flops and a floppy hat WHILE drinking a daiquiri if I so choose.

Carter Hall is the equivalent of a beach cruiser in a world of exotic bikes. I think I'll go put on my flip flops and floppy hat, make a daiquiri, fire up some more CH and hop on my cruiser. This stuff is eeeeeaaaaasy.

PhillyB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PhillyB (40)
Very Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I can honestly say that this tobacco is the one that made me absolutely sure that I loved pipe smoking. The first I tried was Lane's "Black Cherry", which was okay but nothing special. This blend may not exactly be mind blowing complicated but the simple flavors that it does have are very good. Smells of raisins and mild chocolate with walnuts. Taste predominantly nuts and chocolate with very little of the raisin coming through. Smell is just of mild and sweet tobacco and has become popular in my family of non-smokers. I keep plenty on hand because I go through it pretty quickly. Definitely recommend that everybody at least try it.

Also recommend it if you have a stinky pipe that you need to get back to neutral or are breaking in a new one. It has been through every pipe I own and smokes well in all of them.

Pipe Used: All

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is just a great tobacco when you want a basic burley blend. It packs well, and it has a solid tobacco flavor. It stays lit. I smoke this in a cob when I am driving, and it is a simple and satisfying smoke. About half way through the bowl, the flavor seems to intensify. I smoke Prince Albert from time to time as well, and while Carter Hall is slightly milder, I prefer Carter Hall. There is a slight bitter in the flavor profile.

While I understand not everyone is a burley fan, you owe it to yourself to give Carter Hall a try. It is cheap and easy to find. It is a good smoke that is one of those "standards" almost everyone knows.

review_again Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
review_again (8)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

A classic. Smoked in a Missouri Meerschaum corn cobb pipe is one of life's "simple pleasures"! A great burley ....... smooth .... never bites. I smoke Prince Albert and Carter Hall almost exclusively. My first choice is Prince Albert but often enjoy Carter Hall for a nice change. I've tried alot of blends ...but Carter Hall has sustained the test of time. A great, great American classic tobacco. why Cater Hall isn't in the "Hall of Fame" is a mystery too me!!

puddlepirate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puddlepirate (11)

More reveiws for this than most other blends. I can only say that this is not only a great old -time blend, but is actaully an American icon. fire-up that cob young man...

CoreyR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoreyR (21)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

CH may be an "OTC" and all of the "tobacco snobs" can look down their noses at it but after twenty years I still enjoy a bowl full. I find this to be my old baseline, against which all other tobaccos are measured. It usually smokes dry, burns all the way through with one light, has a very pleasant room note and very little, if any, bite. The flavor is what tobacco should be. TOBACCO. Short and simple. Over all, an excellent beginer tobacco as well as a fall back for "old hands." I always keep some in stock. Great for fishing from the canoe too.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Carter Hall… God only knows how many pounds of this stuff I must have smoked over the years, I just now figured I would pass along my opinion of this time proven classic tobacco. IMHO this is a tobacco lovers delight. I can think of no other blend that has fit so many occasions, or that I never seem to tire of over the long haul as this CH. Smoked with some basic technique I find this CH quite enjoyable, this blend and several others have been my "go-to" tobaccos for a long-long time.

atomicbuster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
atomicbuster (29)

First off, the reason I rate this tobacco at four stars is because it's the one I've had the least problems with. This means a lot when you've had problems with other, more expensive and renowned blends. I've read, possibly on this site, that smokers may react differently to a tobacco based on their body chemistry. I don't know if that's true, but I do know people have different tastes and preferences. Here's what this blend does well for me. 1) The price is more than fair. 2) The pouch is at least sealed. 3) The pouch aroma is great. To me it smelled like the cordial, chocolate-covered cherries. 4) It was not too moist in the pouch and it dried quickly and easily. 5) For me it does not bite at all unless I make an effort to make it happen, and it's only possible towards the end of the bowl. 6) The casing is so lite that you almost have to imagine the subtle, sweet flavoring. 7) Burns well and even with maybe one relight. 8) Nice room note. 9) Maintains quality for a long time. 10) Lastly, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, this blends leaves almost no aftertaste. Hahhhh-lleluyah! So far it's my favorite OTC blend. I will definitely buy this again.

CochenBallstein Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CochenBallstein (10)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant

An American classic. You just can't go wrong with Carter Hall. A great 'utility' tobacco that can be smoked all day without any fuss. Nothing fancy; just a good, reliable smoke. Room note is pleasant and won't offend anyone. Can be mixed with other tobaccos to give them more of a fuller bodied smoke. I mix equal parts Carter Hall and Lane 1Q and the best qualities of both really come through. One note: Carter Hall is best smoked in a corn cob pipe. I don't know why but it just doesn't seem to 'shine' in a briar. Perhaps that explains some of the negative reviews.

I am often asked if I have a favorite "Drug Store" type blend. I always answer quickly that "yes, I do and it's Carter Hall." In fact, Carter Hall is a blend I smoke at least twice a day and is a wonderful tobacco to smoke late in the evening before calling it quits. Carter Hall is probably the most impressive of all the "drug store" blends I have tried because it tastes like tobacco without fruity casing, and has some strength to it. The Burley is top-shelf and provides a no-nonsense tobacco taste.

This tobacco is bite free and I doubt that even Thomas the Tank Engine could puff this stuff up into the hot zone. It also has some kind of component that makes the ash adhere to the walls of your pipe, thus, aids the caking process in new pipes.

OomPaul Guy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OomPaul Guy (4)

Love Carter Hall! All the high and mighty pipe snobs can go kick rocks! CH is a good old fashioned American classic. High quality Burley with just a sprinkle of Va to sweeten the pot. This is my go to blend because it is really good. Nice solid, tasty smoke that's been around since the Civil War. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!! Nothing wrong with being fancy pants sometimes, but you also have to bear in mind that sometimes the more you overthink the plumbing the easier it is to stop up the drain. Sometimes simple is better. OTC?...Maybe. But, here is some brutal honesty for everyone that's "too good" for OTC.....ALL tobacco is OTC no matter who "blends" it. To my knowledge the Baccy Nazis in Washington haven't made it "prescription required" yet....Not yet. If you haven't tried it yet, get some. Pack yer pipe and enjoy something that your grandad and his dad smoked for a very long time. You don't have to like it, if it's not your cup of tea, but if it is and you don't try it....You will miss out on one of the finer and simpler things in life.

Pipe Used: Savinelli "Porto Cervo" 614 Oom Paul

guitar2mw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
guitar2mw (11)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I smoked this years ago whenever I started pipe smoking. I tried it because so many people recommended it. I liked it somewhat, but I have never quite understood what the hype was all about. The pouch note is of burleys with a slight grassy VA behind them. It packs well and burns evenly (albeit very quickly like most burley blends). The initial taste, to me, seemed very nutty...more than what I really enjoy. I could not really taste the sweetness that I smelled in the pouch, but I seem to always detect a slight maple aroma in the smoke. It is VERY slight, but to me, it's definitely present.

It isn't a bad smoke to have with morning coffee. Honestly though, I'd much rather have Prince Albert or Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic instead.

Pipe Used: Cobs, Grabows

Purchased From: Blue Ridge Smoke and Vapor, Wytheville, VA

Similar Blends: Prince Albert, Velvet, Sir Walter Raleigh.

Appalachian Scholar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Appalachian Scholar (22)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Strong

I really wanted to like this blend. I sometimes feel like I was born in the wrong decade/century and wanted to smoke something generations of pipers have smoked before me. This was not Carter Hall.

In the pouch, it gave off a sweet and sour chocolate smell similar to Prince Albert, but that's where the similarities ended. However, the taste was extremely flat and the aroma was like cigarettes. I smoked a few bowls and put the pouch away.

Six months later, I tried the same pouch again. The taste was the same, but the room aroma morphed into body odor.

Pipe Used: Basket Pipe

Age When Smoked: New, 6 months

Purchased From: Ingles

old biker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
old biker (4)

My dad smoked this by the tub when he made the switch from PA which he smoked for years also. I have tried it several times and just can't call it "my favorite" . There is just one topping they put on it that I don't like. It's mild, burns slow, no tongue bite, nice room note- I just prefer PA over this. I am not one on flavoring - I just want the tobacco taste. But if I can't find PA I will look for this as the only substitute.

Pipe Used: corn cob/ hardwood

Purchased From: smoker's outlet

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (108)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I purchased a pouch simply for nostalgia and due to its low price. I hadn't smoked this since the early 1970's. Unfortunately, the taste hasn't changed much: strangely topped low grade burley. The company used to seal the pouch, they no longer do that, leaving it free to breathe through the box and loose cellophane overwrap. I'm guessing it's to finish the insufficient curing, judging by bitter ammonia notes. Maybe my pouch needed another year of offfgassing.

Wherever this is found for sale in the US, Prince Albert will be located within 18 inches of it. Do yourself a favor and select that instead.

Pipe Used: cob

Purchased From: state line cigarette/beer store

Similar Blends: Prince Albert.

This is a special review for me , it's my 50th brand (208 reviews) and it gets me my " Scholar Badge" so I had to find a memorable entry !!! Why not from the brand I smoked my first pipe , John Middleton ( cherry blend ) some 50 years ago. Well I decided I don't remember "Cherry Blend ", but I do remember that I don't want to remember Cherry blend, so I picked up a pouch of Carter Hall !!!

Why do all the OTC blends use that same topping ??? What is it ??? Whiskey/Vanilla ??? Doesn't Prince Albert use that also ??? It's always slathered over a Burley. Now "Mixture #79" used a different topping, wow ( funniest review I've ever read is "zulujerk 2006-02-10, on Mixture 79, go read it), do you mean to tell me they tried 78 others that weren't as good !!!!

Anyway, can you tell that I'm really not into bashing this blend or writing this review , sorry to waste your time but it's been an enjoyable 50 year ride. You really want to know about this blend .....read the other 300 reviews, someone likes it ( 26 favorites).

Pipe Used: cob

Age When Smoked: Brand spanking new

Purchased From: local

Oom Paul 73 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Oom Paul 73 (4)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

I was given Carter Hall as a gift recently so I could not wait to try it out. At first I was a little disappointed, but that shortly faded as I got further into my smoke. I enjoyed the nice flavor and aroma and I certainly enjoyed the burley, I will be buying this again.

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (69)
Medium to Strong Medium Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I grabbed a some of this to try, since in the past I've enjoyed Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic from time to time.

This was not to my liking at all, the pH was out of control, feels like Wasps having a party on my tongue. Dumped the first bowl after a 8 or 9 puffs. Tried it again a few days later, same result. Tried it again about a week later in a different briar, same thing . . . dumped the reminder into the compost pile. Really glad I did not purchase the big tub.

Flinthills Tex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flinthills Tex (20)
Very Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Having read all your reviews, and having had good past experiences with PA, I tried Carter Hall. I found it rather boring and almost devoid of flavor, not even the mild nuttiness usually typical of Burley blends. It is smokable, but not really pleasing in any way. No big loss at drugstore prices, but I was let down.

Phonomet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phonomet (41)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant

I like it...but I didn't at first. At first I was put off by the middleton label and underestimated the smoke. In the realm of burleys this one is sweet and the virginias are present throughout. The pouch note is pleasant with a berry sweetness. The berries don't come through in the smoke, but no matter. It packs and burns well as most OTCs do. I'll purchase this again. If I were more poor than I am, I'd probably smoke this a lot more. But as it is, I have so many more tobaccos to explore. Upward and onward!

Tplumm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tplumm (21)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

A straightforward no frills smoke. pretty dull and uninteresting, but not offensive. Love the cut, easy packing and stays lit well.

430pat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
430pat (39)
Mild Very Mild Mild Tolerable

I a pinch smoke-able rather smoke my regular rotation.

ProfBryan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ProfBryan (4)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I had high hopes for this tobacco. I have recently gotten back into OTC English tobaccos as the result of my disenchantment with over-priced and under-whelming premium blends. Funny thing is, I have noticed that the cheaper the blend the better I like it, which seems to be my preference with wine, too! That probably says more about the lack of refinement in my palate than anything else, but it has been interesting to notice.

With that said, Carter Hall provided a smoking experience more akin to one produced by smoking cigarettes than a satisfying pipe smoking experience. CH lit quickly and burned evenly and completely, but left a very ashy taste in my mouth. This analogy was confirmed by the odor CH left on my hands after a pipe full. I often hold my pipe with the bowl facing my palm for some reason (not intentional, just a habit) and after smoking CH my hands had that nasty cigarette smell on them.

I'll finish the pouch ('cause I'm that cheap!) but I most likely will not buy another. I'll stick to Prince Albert for now.

Joseph.G Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joseph.G (1)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

With all the reviews on this blend their is not much new to be said about it.It's a nothing special cheap OTC blend.Though a little plain it is still a good smoke.I have not experienced any bite and it smokes very smoothly.I would highly recommend it to a new pipe smoker as well as an experienced one.

pennjersey83 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pennjersey83 (11)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

I'm an aromatic smoker and I wanted to try something different. Carter Hall was bland and tasted like cigarettes to me. I detected no sweet virginia tobacco. This also had a little bite and burned very fast. I would only recommend this tobacco if you just like straight burley tobacco taste without complexity.

thesmoggypipester Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thesmoggypipester (30)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I recieved two pouches of this along with a good selection of goodies from a very genorous member over from PSF.

I have been curious about this american staple for nearly a year. So when my package arrived i cracked a pouch open and had a smoke.

Opening the pouch its brown to dark brown cut small and smelling heavily of dark chocolate one might get from an upmarket chocolatier. I dont subscribe to the sterotypical brit smoking style of open pouch pack and light i like to let my baccy dry slightly if too moist. However carter hall is THE perfect moisture.

as soon as i put flame to this tobacco the result is nirvanic. A beautiful smoke creamy nutty and not a hint of bite or burley throat.

I was sat in an outdoor coffee shop the other day and tried it there. It partners exceptionally well with good coffee and it gets better and better.

The burn rate is just right not to fast you wonder were its gone and not to long you becomw bored. Carter hall has fast went to my top three tobaccos.

To be honest with you if this was readily available in England i would smoke the contents of my somewhat small cellar and smoke carter hall almost exclusively along with condor and louisiana flake it really is that good.

Highly highly recommended

Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

Carter Hall. Burley softest and easy never smoked.I recommend blends single simple natural does not bite.Carter Hall tobacco is a nice therapy is a return to the source.

Betz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Betz (6)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Picked up a pouch of this at my local drug store one night and never looked back. This is currently my favorite and go-to blend. Its beauty lies in its simplicity. Nothing fancy, no superfluous casing, nothing unnecessary. Just good ol' straight forward burley. Not the strongest blend in terms of vitamin N, but it holds its own nonetheless. Flavoring is pleasant. In my opinion it mixes well with the natural flavor of the tobacco itself. Wonderful room note of what I would liken to cream, chocolate, and/or hazelnut... And it tastes just as good as it smells. Pairs extraordinarily well with good, strong coffee in the morning. The only issue that I've ever had is it may burn too hot if left unchecked. Otherwise, a delicious and simple blend... Cheap, easy to find, and a superior smoke. I highly recommend this tobacco. Cheers!

Clive Moses Apikouris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Clive Moses Apikouris (30)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I first smoked a bowl of this classic tobacco over 40 years ago. unsophisticated all as I was at that time all I knew of was the "drugstore blends", SWR, PA, CB, and the worst of all, the vicious tongue scalding, sugary goop from Hell, Paladin Black Cherry. I saw a commercial on TV -"Carter Hall Means Fine Tobacco" (and girls liked the aroma!)and gave it a try and I liked it. However in the course of smoking pipes on and off over the years this stuff became forgotten in favor of other more highly regarded blends one could find at a tobacconist. However earlier today I picked some up at the local Rite Aid and gave it a whirl. I liked it, a lot. CH is smooth smoking, mild but flavorful and satisfying in a nice nutty Burley kind of way. Whatever topping is used is pleasant and unobtrusive. I decided next to try CH as a base for mixing up a personal blend. I took two parts CH and mixed it with one part Charring Cross, which I find alone to be too Latakia powerful and one part McClelland Mature Cake Mixture. The result was outstanding, I'm puffing away on it in my small Peterson Kapet as I write. Recommended. 3/21/2013 Update: I'm puffing away on this stuff and digging it. I've recently become very enamored with Burleys. I had almost forgotten that this was in my collection. I was about to load up some stuff that I brought back from JR Cigar in Detroit called Golden Oaks that is very good but remembered that I had some CH in a jar. I loaded up and well it's good, yes real good. I'm raising my rating to four stars here. This is an overlooked gem of a Burley.

Chris08 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chris08 (37)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

On paper this sounded great. I really wanted to like this blend, but couldn't develop a taste for the topping; that I found overwhelming. Don't get me wrong, the topping on Half and Half is stronger. It's just that I like the topping on Half and Half and find this somewhat nauseating.

hypr-aktiv Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hypr-aktiv (6)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

As someone stated before “how could you not like this tobacco?” Nice taste, burns well, cheap but what really does it for me is that it is the ONLY blend I've found that never gives me tongue bite, even when I smoke too much or too fast I'm good the next day. I like it better than SWR and PA but those are also good. I like this better than all the blends I own and no they aren't all drugstore blends.

Calam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Calam (5)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Reminds me very much of a cigarette. Flavor is mediocre, room note is ashy-smelling. It does burn well and burns even, which is probably it's only real plus in my book. Left a taste in my mouth like I'd just smoked a cheap cigar.

It wasn't a really bad experience or anything--especially given how cheap it is--it's just, meh. I'll probably give the rest of the pouch to a friend who likes it.

SWR is way tastier and smells better. If you had only 5 dollars and had to choose between the two, go with SWR. But if you're really determined to taste this, it won't hurt you.

ColonelStJames Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ColonelStJames (14)
Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant

When I got back into pipe smoking earlier this year, I was interested in trying as many of the "Drug Store" brands as I could find. The only trouble was the only brand my local drug stores seemed to carry was CBW. It wasn't exactly making my day, and my tongue hated me after the way a bowl of CBW treated it! Then I discovered this wonderful website, and my search for Carter Hall was on. I found it easily online, but finding it locally was really an issue. Finally, I came across it in a pouch at my local grocery store along with PA, H&H, and a whole case full of chewing tobacco! I lit up a bowl, and knew this was the one for me. No bite at all. The Burley flavor is wonderful and it's cased with something that makes it a lot more interesting to smoke than PA, SWR, H&H, and most other OTCs. It has a really nice, simple flavor. A real easy smoke. Then I smoked it around friends, and like the old Carter Hall TV ad used to say, "The chicks are back! Spread the word, the chicks are back!" The room note is very nice. Not exactly what I'd call an aromatic, but it just smells good. Since my first encounter with Carter Hall, I have tried several other OTCs, and I'm afraid they just don't cut it! Carter Hall is my "Drug Store" brand of choice. Oh, and even though I could get it in a tub cheaper online, I still but it at my grocery store. Kinda my way of saying thanks to them for carrying it. Carter Hall needs to be in the Hall of Fame!

manxman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manxman (13)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

An honest tobacco that goes good with my morning coffee. And any later cup I enjoy, too. Fast burning, but not a hot smoke. No tongue bite for me. Probably useful for blending. Even though I only smoke aromatics I like this stuff. I'll buy it again. Produces a lot of nice white smoke.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

i guess carter hall is aanother aromatic by definition (cased but no topping) the taste of middletons prince albert and carter hall are some what similar or perhaps its the burly tobacco being in the center stage.regardless, the room note is not pleasant. the blend packs easy and take fire easily and burn to the last shred and absloutly mild on the senses. i can see how that many people make it an all day smike. classic burly, nice pace of change!

gsbergman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gsbergman (6)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

picked up a pouch at Rite-Aid the other day. I never tryed it before. A gentle blend, with decent flavoring. No bite. I can't smoke them all, but am trying out different tobaccos lately. I'd say I could smoke this on a daily basis.

salopst Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
salopst (14)
Extremely Mild None Detected Medium Tolerable

For a start, this is a no-nonsense tobacco in terms of packing and lighting. Stuff it 'n' puff it.

This is not a commonly found tobacco in England, but I had the pleasure of tobacco- swapping with someone from the US, and this CH amounted to really only my 2nd predominantly burley baccy, the first being Old Joe Krantz.

I find it nutty, a little bit mouldy smelling (which is not necessarily a bad thing), and overall nicely simple, if a touch boring.

Picking a recommendation for this is tricky. I'd really like to see along recommendation (which is intended for others), and a personal rating. So that's a three star for others, but for my personal tastes only a two. It is a good tobacco, just not quite my cup of tea.

Bjorn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bjorn (4)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Tolerable

I bought a pouch at a Harvey's store in town heard some good things about the tobacco.. I took it home opened the pouch and it smelled good but it was very dry packed a bowl of it and from the first taste I was dissapointed however I didn't dismiss it put the pouch open in a humidor and let it set for a few weeks to get moist took the pouch out smelled even better and was a better smoke but still not a good smoke very cigerette like trust me on that I did smoke cigs for 6 years...

JerseySmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JerseySmoker (11)
Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

After reading the 4 star reviews here, I picked up a pouch. I smoked one bowl and wanted to throw it out. But, doing my best to give the benefit of the doubt, I smoked two bowls. Then, I threw it out.

This does light easily, and burns VERY easily. It burned like a cigarette, tasted like a 50/50 mix with cigarette tobacco, and left a cigarette ashtray aftertaste in my mouth for several hours.

mnadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mnadz (35)

Overall, I liked Carter Hall for an aromatic. I still put Captain Black White ahead, only because if I am going to take the time to smoke and aromatic, I want it to taste like an aromatic. Carter Hall can fit really nicely in the in between. Not in the mood for an english or an aromatic, Carter Hall can fit the bill. My wife enjoyed the aroma of it. She stated she loved the smell of CBW, but finds the aroma of Carter Hall pleasant in a non-overpowering way.

Elwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Elwin (10)

Carter Hall is the standard by which I judge all other Drug Store blends. Minimal use of preservatives, clean tobacco that has little, if any, toppings/casings, and naturally sweet without overpowering. And while a pretty decent smoke on it's own, it also makes a great blender base for taming wilder, more bite prone blends.

juvat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
juvat (36)

I've smoked a couple of pouches of CH so far and have no real complaints. It's good, but not great. There is something about the flavor that I just can't put my finger on that keeps this from being a 4 star tobacco for me. I don't dislike it, but I still prefer Prince Albert as I think PA has a slightly better taste than CH. Having said that, I wouldn't thumb my nose at a bowl of CH and would certainly buy it without hesitation if Prince Albert wasn't available.

Good, honest pipe tobacco. Nothing more, nothing less.

BlacksmithTim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BlacksmithTim (7)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

When I picked up the pipe again I was sampling the drugstore blends that are found easy locally. I spotted this after encountering a mention on one of the forums and decided to try this.

I highly recommend this for beginners as it is probably the coolest, easiest smoke around. It quickly replaced Half and Half as my regular smoke and I've been smoking it steadily for a couple of years now. I like to try other tobaccos but this one is my mainstay.

Also worth mentioning that those around me appreciate the room note and compliment it.

T. Ferguson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
T. Ferguson (9)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

I recently began pipe smoking again after a few years off. Wife and kids got me a cheapie Lucienne and a pack of Captain Black Gold for Christmas this year. Ever since, I've added a few more pipes (Grabows and Baskets, plus one "Good" one!) to my collection. I have every intention of keeping this habit as simple as possible.

I grew somewhat intoxicated Saturday night, and the Captain taught me a harsh lesson. Still feeling the burn!!! Smoked too fast, smoked too much...felt like I'd been French Kissing a cactus the next morning.

Long story short, I read reviews on Carter Hall all morning before deciding to go spend $3.60 on a packet. It's my first foray into the world of non-aromatic pipe tobacco. Why didn't I just go after it? Because I'm stupid, that's why!

I can't honestly say that my first impression was all that great, but for some strange reason, I can't fight the urge to keep loading and smoking, loading and smoking. I'm getting some interesting flavors (mostly "fried chicken and leprechaun armpit sweat", to quote my dealbreaker review...still cracking up over that!), but I'll attribute that to being wounded in the mouth over the weekend.

The pouch aroma is possibly a bit misleading. It smells of dried fruit and liquor, but absolutely has none of those qualities upon lighting. That's good, since I've grown weary of sweets lately! Very consistent flavor down to the last gasp of the bowl, nothing ashy or "cheap cigary" about it!

So far, it's going great as a complement to my coffee habit. I've also scored some Latakia, beat it to death, and mixed it up with some of the CH in a mason jar...expecting good things from this!!! I do like a little spice in life, maybe a bit of unpleasantness at times? Reminds a man that he's alive.

As far as the aromatic stuff? Pretty much done, except for Middleton Apple (I'm the only person in the world that likes this, apparently). Not at all moving toward snobbery. Trying to stay away from that altogether! Just discovering that there's more to life than vanilla and cherry smoke. Thank goodness for that.

EDITED..... I love this stuff more than life itself! My little "faux OTC" blend knocks my socks off! Highly, highly recommended!

Earl Grey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Earl Grey (15)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I smoke a bowl of this in one of my cobs almost every night. Great flavor--no bite. It has a nice nutty flavor. This one gives a nice dose of Vitamin N but doesn't make my gulliver spin. The only downside is that it burns down so fast. It's my first choice to smoke on a short drive, or the last bowl of the day. It's always a coin toss between CH and SWR when I can't decide what I want to smoke.

RyeWhiskey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RyeWhiskey (43)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a good, solid burley based tobacco. I bought this in pouch format and I gotta say I was please when I opened the pouch. The aroma was that of good burley and it looks just as nice. Packed well, had a nice amount of dryness to it and smoked down without any bite. Tried it again in other pipes and am about halfway done with the pouch.

This a great pipe tobacco and is a good fit for a tighter budget. I have tried many tins of tobacco, and this one will stay in the rotation. I will pick up more, unluckily I grabbed the last one in stock so I'll have to wait to cellar some.

I did throw the pouched tobacco in a mason jar though, like I do all of my tobacco. I gave it three stars here, but it's more like 4/5. Not perfect but a great addition to your 'baccy jars.

zwolanek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zwolanek (18)
Mild Very Mild Mild Unnoticeable

Burley can bite. Evidently my body chemistry makes it impossible to smoke this.

IF CARTER HALL BITES YOU, YOU ARE NOT ALONE!

Put simply, I finish the first quarter bowl and have to dump it. Carter Hall bites me more than any other tobacco. It may be a fine, even great tobacco, but not for me.

Russ Ouellette has a great article on Burley from January 2012. He explains why some of us have this problem. The majority of Aromatics bite me, too, and then there is the added heat from the toppings, but even then, not to the degree of Carter Hall.

Woe is me!

Brown Pipeman 1940 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brown Pipeman 1940 (40)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

When I first began to really tantalize my palette with a variety of styles of pipe tobacco and try different blends, I tried this and enjoyed it more than any other pouch of tobacco I'd ever had. But for some reason I never bought another pouch - until recently. You are truly missing one of the greatest pipe tobaccos ever if you have never sampled this! It is what I would call a perfect blend. It has flavors of chocolate, nuts, and even coffee. It burns SO nicely and coolly, even when you puff on it vigorously. This may be an over the counter pipe tobacco (a drugstore blend, as some would label them), but the quality is excellent. It is not too dry or moist out of the pouch, and burns well in any and every pipe I've smoked it in. WHY pay $10 or $15 for a tin of tobacco when you can get the same amount of this for only $3? There is a reason brands like Dunhill, MacBaren, and John Middleton have such loyal followings amongst pipe smokers. Carter Hall deserves a place in the pipe tobacco hall of fame. Until I crumble into ash myself (as we all shall), this blend will be in my pipes. Prince Albert got three stars; this one is a five star!

Mike__P Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike__P (87)

Amazing. After all of the Balkan blends, flakes, plugs, ropes, aged Virginias and VA/Pers . . . Carter Hall still holds its own. In fact, I like it better than some of the boutique blends that we rhapsodize over and analyze to the microgram. How can you not like this stuff? It's honest tobacco, folks . . . unpretentious, nutty, dry, satisfying, well behaved . . . and dirt cheap. It's a slice of Americana, and there's a reason it has been around since the Civil War. Didn't your dad or uncle or grandfather smoke this stuff? As usual, he was right.

Five-star OTC. I like it better than PA.

bourbon and pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bourbon and pipe (3)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Let's be real here. I would love to smoke nothing but the finest tins bought at my local tobacconist, but unfortunately I am constrained by a few harsh realities: graduate school, two jobs, a failing economy, and monthly bills and gas prices taking a chunk out of my income.

Sure, I'm cellaring a few lovely tins, and I've got plenty of pouches of my favorite house blends from my favorite tobacconists. But I need an affordable all-day smoke to accompany my various activities and obligations. And Carter Hall is it.

The advantages are the same many reviewers have already attested to: nice dose of vitamin N, solid burley flavor, easy burning, and cool cool cool. My cob bowl gets blazing hot when I smoke this, but it has yet to bite me.

Carter Hall is perfect for when I want to smoke but don't have time to focus on maintaining the bowl, or the complex flavors. Driving in the car, grabbing a quick smoke with friends, or reading or doing research require a no-nonsense blend. Carter Hall is the best OTC blend that money can buy (and I pay 3.09 for it just the other side of the county line).

These drugstore blends aren't going to light the fire of pipe snobs, but they can be very satisfying for those who do not require complexity and concentration each time they smoke. I have a Master's degree, so I can get as pretentious as the next person, but sometimes I want a can of cheap beer, a good novel, and some Carter Hall in my corncob. That's my America.

TobaccoMan2012 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TobaccoMan2012 (28)
Very Mild None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

This is one great pipe tobacco! I really enjoy smoking this one because it is not strong at all. In my opinion it would probably even be good for a beginner. When I first tried it two days ago, I really loved it. This one has hardly any bite being that it is so mild. Not to mention it has a pleasant room note, and it does not bother non-smokers. I would recommend this to anyone who wants a satisfying smoke.

edgar.roupe@gmail.com Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
edgar.roupe@gmail.com (1)

I see alot of wannabe tobacco snobs on here throwing out "big" names of various tobaccos they have smoked and comparing Carter Hall to them. One word: posers. I believe this is a brand for truly dedicated pipe smokers of all walks of life for any occasion. I'm not gonna brag about being a seasoned smoker (though I am) and I'm not gonna throw out a bunch of "hoity toity" names of brands to try and sound sophisticated, and I'm not gonna tell you about "high notes" and "undertones"; to me, that's a load of horse crap. I will tell you this is a very satisfying, very flavorful, very pleasant blend. no "chemical" taste that everyone keeps talking about, but no nonsense either. I'll be frank, this is tobacco. If you don't like this, you probably don't like tobacco as much as you think; you like the flavors that alot of companies add to the tobacco. Pleasant, smokey room note, good tobacco flavor, and you can't beat the price. I support my local tobacconist, but if your going to be a pipe smoker, smoke what seasoned pipe smokers have smoked for years: drug store brands....and you don't get much more "drug store" than Carter Hall; a fantastic pipe tobacco.

Fr. Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fr. Smoke (4)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

Ahh, Carter Hall! An American classic! This is a must for Burley lovers. It has that classic Burley taste with a Fig top note.

It has all the qualities -- except one -- that pipe smokers covet: it is widely available (in the states), is dirt cheap, lights well and burns to the bottom of the bowl, burns cool, doesn't produce tongue bite, produces beautiful white smoke, burns to a beautiful white ash, and is easy to smoke. It just lacks one thing.

It isn't complex.

It's just Burley-tasting, baby. Simple burley and more burley. If you smoke for complex taste experiences, don't smoke CH. If you want a great, cheap, no-nonsense Burly tobacco -- and who doesn't some days? -- you gotta have some CH in the rotation.

And talk about corn cobs! What's more Americana than CH in a cob?

When I refurbish a pipe and give it to a friend to learn The Hobby, I always include some CH. It's a great tobacco to learn on. And it's a great tobacco imo to keep smoking even after one has an evolved taste. I'll always have a cob and a Dr. Grabow dedicated to this simple (but good tasting) stuff.

TobaccoOnFire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TobaccoOnFire (8)

Found this at a local smoke shop for 3.60 a pouch and its a dam fine smoke.

Very simplistic blend this is what tobacco is to pipes as popcorn is to the movie theaters.

Decent packing and smells...umm...well like pipe tobacco...i told you this was simple.

I can't really detect a casing in this blend its a very nutty Burley and nothing but a great all day no nonsense smoke.

Its burns just fine to a gray-white ash and seems to burn best with a tight pack.

If your picking this up expecting to find hints of fried chicken or lepcracaun armpit sweat then go buy something in a tin because its not in here.

But that was makes this blend so attractive its a simple straight forward Burley and this normalacy is what makes me want to keep three pouches of this on hand.

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (81)

I love carter hall. No nonsense good old american stuff. It sure aint fancy, but it is pleasurable. There is a reason that these old OTC blends have been around since dinosaurs smoked Dunhills. These are just plain quality blend. Don't pick this up if you hope to find hints of candied apricots, or unicorn musk. There is not a lot hidden here. It is not subtle or expertly blended or balanced for the ultimate pipe smoking experience. This blend is a good old nutty burley. That is all, plain and simple.

There is some sort of a taste in this blend that is separate from the tobacco. Some people refer to it as a chemical taste. I can see where they get that, but for me it is not at all unpleasant. In fact it is my favorite part of the smoke. If you are looking for a smoke to mow the lawn or do other chores with this is your ticket. Smoke it in a cob with some good coffee and live the american dream one bowl at a time. Highly recommended.

Petersons&Virginias Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Petersons&Virginias (4)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I recommend this blend for very specific scenarios. I suppose I might be biased in favor of this tobacco, because it's what my grandfather smoked. I've tried most of the "codger blends" and I like this best. Truthfully, it's kind of like a very nice cigarette tobacco. I usually smoke it out of a small Peterson 317, when my friends are taking a cig break and I want to join them but don't want to be out smoking by myself 20 minutes later. It's also nice for activities that require concentration, or for breaking in a new pipe (it leaves a good clean cake foundation and ghosts not at all).

It's perfect for these approaches, because it burns well and relatively quickly, and I've yet to be able to make it bite- even when I'm smoking hastily.

It's very mild and inhale-able, and smells like a less "dirty" cigarette in the room. The flavor is mildly sweet and nutty upon the first part of the bowl, then just moves on to nutty. Very benign and mouth-friendly throughout. Very one-dimensional. For me, it's a more pleasant and smooth smoke than Prince Albert, which I've also smoked a considerable amount of.

I saw one previous reviewer really hating on this tobacco as the equivalent of American chocolate, and that those who are into this blend might be naive to the world of real quality out there- maybe suggesting that people smoke it because they don't realize how much better it can get. Well, I have had a variety of blends that I adore from GL Pease, C&D, MacB, Dunhill, McClelland, Gawith, Rattray's, etc. I've also had four star meals at restaurants owned by Iron Chefs. But sometimes I just want to grab a sandwich from the drive-thru. If I'm looking for a deep, rich, profound, or complex smoking experience, I certainly look elsewhere.

Sometimes I just want "tobacco fast-food" when I'm too busy to be the seated, contemplative, bearded, reading, cardigan-equipped, insightful, "consumer and critic of fine things" pipe smoker that we all deep down would like to consider ourselves. Sometimes the dog needs walking, the trash needs taking out, the taxes need doing, the cigarette smoking guys need my company, the hiring band needs to sound-check NOW, and I need my pipe to accompany. And this is just the perfect ticket for mindless puffage and pipe break-in.

LifeOfRiley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LifeOfRiley (11)

I had a hard time coming across a pouch of this, but based on the previous reviews, I continued to look. It turns out that some Rite Aid stores carry this, but not all.

That said, I found this to be not bad, but less than I'd hoped. First, the right things. The pouch aroma is inviting with its smell of figs. It's ready to smoke straight from the pouch, packs easily and is free of stems. It lights easily and stays lit to the bottom, leaving a fine white ash. It doesn't bite, and the room note isn't bad. And, hey, it's cheap.

The problem is the flavor. At its best, it's adequate, but I continue to get a chemical aftertaste after each puff, particularly if the bowl is getting hot. And, maybe its me (and this isn't necessarily bad), but I get more than a "sprinkle" of Virginia from this.

In short, if I were in a situation where I didn't have any tobacco and the drug store was the only place to get some, I'd probably get this. But, short of that, there are better blends out there for when I want some burley (see McCranies Old Master).

Tripjoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tripjoker (64)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I continue to try these drugstore blends as I want my flavor exposure to be as complete as possible. With that said, I can definately say that some flavors are best left where they are found.

I tend to describe these low end tobaccos by explaining chocolate. Very good Belgian, French, Swiss or German chocolates are a revelation to many Americans when they are tasted the first time. There is so much depth of flavor and the texture is different. All around much better than your average Hershey bar that contains very little real chocolate (cocoa).

Well friends, that is what these American drug store blends are like. American chocolate. Yes, it tastes somewhat of tobacco, but not ANYTHING like real tobacco. Not surprisingly, Carter Hall failed in every way for this smoker. I prefer to have the best that my resources will buy, and this ain't it by a long shot.

I'm sure that this is heresay to many fellow pipers. I'm sorry for that, but after nearly 30 years as a food and wine professional at a high level I trust my tastes more than most. Cheers!

RusticAuthor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RusticAuthor (5)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

I was looking forward to trying this blend, and was fully prepared to like it, based upon the many favorable reviews. Surprisingly, apart from the chocolate pouch aroma, I found nothing that I liked. While smoking, I detected no nuttiness or fruitiness. I only detected a rather unpleasant taste that I can't identify (except that it did not taste like any tobacco I've ever smoked). A huge disappointment. I appear to be among the minority who do not like this tobacco. I would give it zero stars, if that was possible. I won't be trying it again.

rintrah Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rintrah (6)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

A good, cheap smoke. I got the "Luxury Pouch" (1.5oz pouch that comes in a shrink-wrapped box). This is really an enjoyable blend. Nice dose of nicotine, nice flavor profile, and extremely easy-to-smoke... doesn't get too hot, burns evenly, produces volumes of creamy smoke. I won't smoke this all the time, but I'd like to always have it around. I'm smoking it in a cob which seems like a great match, though I'm sure its great in a briar too. Recommend giving it a try!

cakeanddottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cakeanddottle (36)
Medium to Strong Mild Mild Pleasant

This one isn't going to be for everyone, but it is a benchmark tobacco. There is something so comforting about this tobacco, and I often select it over more expensive and admittedly higher quality mixtures.

As far as the strength, there must be some body chemistry thing between CH and me. I ALWAYS feel the nic when I smoke this. Did I get a tub that was off? I'm not talking about Lakeland levels of nicotine, but I normally don't ever detect nic, being a lifelong cigarette smoker and snuff user. I reach for CH when I need some nic.

It's a great morning smoke, it's great when you need a little nic kick, it's kind of a window to the past. Carter Hall won't ring every pipe smoker's bell, but for the right ones it's an indispensable tobacco. I'm not cellaring CH or anything, but something would feel amiss if there wasn't a pouch sitting next to my pipe rack. A classic Burley-Va mixture that has the ability to turn back the clock, and all of a sudden it's 1974 and I'm 8 again, watching Star Trek TOS on my grandmother's console television and the house is full of the smells of her cooking and I can hear coffee percolating in the kitchen.

DWB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DWB (4)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Pouch aroma reminded me of chewing tobacco or "jaw baccer" as it's known locally. Tobacco with some type of sugar based topping. Not too wet or too dry. Packed and lit very well.

I expected the topping to come on strong during the smoke but it never happened. It is there and it adds a subtle sweetness that is pleasing to me, but it remains in its place. Good tobacco flavor with a nutty sweetness. No bite for me and easy to clean your pipe when finished. All pouches I have purchased have been consistent from top to bottom. Room note is not fantastic but is not offensive in any way.

This is a good all around inexpensive smoke. Burley FTW!

EKU Outlaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
EKU Outlaw (1)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

An old friend from years past. I hadn't smoked pipes since the late '60s and just returned to the experience since retiring. Being able to take the time to enjoy a pipe now is rewarding, to say the least.

Not being able to find any of my old pipes, I had to purchase new, and go through the break-in process. After a few bowls of the blend recommended by the Brick 'n Mortar (unsatisfactory), I recalled how much I used to enjoy Carter Hall.

Off to the local cigarette retailer, and they had Carter Hall in stock. After smoking it, I have to say that it packs easy, lights easy, and burns well. The nutty flavor of burley is pleasant.

Carter Hall is not a complex tobacco, but is a good tobacco. An excellent all-day smoke if you smoke more than one or two bowls a day.

Builds cake quickly when you are trying to break in a new pipe, and is a good and flavorful smoke during the break in period. It's qualities improve as the pipe breaks in.

A tobacco to always keep around.

Flyman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flyman (1)

This is a great one and been around forever. CH is my all day smoke and I blend a little toasted vanilla with it for a more aromatic, or some sweet Virginia flake for another variation. It is also very good "as is". It has a subtle sweet flavor tasting of figs and raisins. I do not taste the chemical note that others mention. It packs well, cakes well, can be found everywhere, stays lit, a great blender and is cheap by comparison. I am often told by passers by that they love the aroma and that smell reminds them of their father, grandfather, uncle etc. What more can you ask of a tobacco?

Jive Dadson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jive Dadson (14)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Smells of figs in the can. The fruity aroma is not strong when smoking though. A little sweet, but with no bite. The nutty taste of the burley dominates the Virginia. Lights and burns well, leaving a fine, grey ash, no gunk. Inexpensive. What's not to like?

vespa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vespa (12)

As I said in a previous review I've been on a " Burley Binge " of late outside of a bowl of Escudo Navy Delux yesterday. I've smoked four burley blends ( Aged Burley Flake, McB Burley London Blend & Golden Extra and now Carter Hall ). I must say CH is a DAMN GOOD!!! tobacco, just good burley taste from begining to end. The pouch I had was just right, no drying time or letting the tobacco rest just right to the pipe. One match and your off to the races. If you want to try burley give it a try and if you dont like it your only out a few bucks, no harm no foul. It beats paying 12 + dollars for a tin of ABF just to find out you have no taste for burley. Not that CH and ABF are anything alike, because they are not. Kind of like compairing apples to oranges. I'll be keeping some CH around for some good Old Tobac and keep my SG ABF & MacB BLB for when I want to relax and have one hell of a good burley experence. The rest has all been said by others who enjoy good burley so I'll stop rambling and let the others do the talking.

Your Brother in Smoke

3/4 Stars

GSTQ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GSTQ (31)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

Appearance is a mixed brown ribbon. Packet smells sweet, somwhat akin to American chewing tobaccos such as Red Man. Tastes dry and lightly sweet, with the Burley bitterness appearing toward the end of the bowl.

After disliking Prince Albert and Walter Raleigh, I held very little hope for Carter Hall. After reading so many reviews about CH being inexpensive yet acceptable to good if not great, I had to give it a go. Carter Hall is not awful, certainly. In fact, it is a better buy than many blends at thrice the price. One could say it is an effective palate cleanser. Burley is my least favourite tobacco, but here it is not nastiness at first light. I am not likely to buy again, but I do see why so many have reviewed it favourably.

PipeLover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeLover (16)

Im new to this hobby, about a year in. For the past year I read reviews, and watched guru pipe smokers on YT until I my eyeballs fell out. And everyone put down and said bad things about OTC (over the counter, drug store) tobaccos. Don't buy it, don't use it, don't smoke it, blah... blah... blah. I wash terrified of trying drug store tobaccos. Well... THEY WERE ALL WRONG!

I spent thousand of hard earned dollars on top rated tobaccos, lost countless days of sleep trying to locate very hard to find tobaccos, and then waited weeks for stuff to arrive from around the world... but low and behold the tobacco that would win me over was a mere 658 feet away (yes I measured) sitting on a shelf at Rite Aid for $5 a pouch.

Carter Hall has been around since the 18-freaking hundreds for a reason. I have smoked over 40 bowls of this stuff. It is very good! It is not an aromatic, but has a pleasantly semi sweet room note. It tastes like burley, with an ever so slight hint of figs. Mid bowl it smells like toasted bread, with a woodsy aroma and a distant hint of marshmallows. And it finished off with a nice smell of freshly roasted coffee beans. The warm empty bowl right after smoking smells like burnet Turkish coffee beans, very pleasant. And NO disgusting aftertaste.

Perfect moisture, and honestly it is the only tobacco I have tried that did not need a relight, and smoked all the way to the bottom of the bowl.

It is my daily smoker. I have six 14 oz. cans of this stuff on standby.

I can shamelessly say that smoking Carter Hall was the best experience I have had with pipe tobacco in the past year. Give it it a shot, its only $5.

P.S. Top rated, expensive tobaccos for sale... ; )

jpbass Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jpbass (22)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Being a Prince Albert lover, I decided to give this a try and see how they stacked up against one another. PA IMO is much more flavorful, but CH makes a good blender, giving off a nice figgy taste in the mix. I doubt if I'd smoke it on it's own merit though; it just doesn't do enough for me. PA's sweetness wins out.

Mephisto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mephisto (32)

Despite it's drugstore pedigree this has become my favorite all day pipe. Easy in every way and nostalgic. I can see why grandpa would have chosen this one in the day where men were often seen with a pipe all day long at work and play. Not that sweet flavored room note but a reminder of days past and many strangers comment thatit reminds them of Dad or Grandpa. Cool for a burley stays lit ok and doesn't sour too much at the end as most do. Cakes up like a champ great for breaking in and is widely available and well priced. A true winner and the only one of the drugstore blends I like. Try it you won't be out much if you don't like it.

Coos Yellowknife Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coos Yellowknife (3)

I was just gifted a pouch of this from someone at the store the other day. The person said if I liked PA I should try CH. So far I will say I do like this and will consider keeping some around. A good classic smoke.

I know there are many reviewers here that do not like "Drugstore Tobaccos". That is fine, you do not have to bye them. I do like SOME of them, and most of the time can not afford anything else. I am just happy there is several decent more affordable tobaccos still around!

Ozark Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ozark Nick (2)

I just plain love this tobacco.

I've tried many other much fancier (read: expensive) baccys but this is what I come back to.

It packs easy, it lights easy, it stays lit. I've never yet been bitten by it.

It has a simple, pleasing taste and aroma. I've spent a lot of time trying to nail down exactly what the taste is, but I can't figure it out. So now I don't worry about it and just enjoy!

Living in the boondocks I can get this locally for about $3 a pouch.

Combine with a good corn cob and I don't think it gets any better.

But I have to admit my tastes have always tended towards the simpler things!

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

While somewhat fast burning, and therefore leaning toward hot, it is otherwise a nice, mild, basic tobacco. It lit easily and stayed lit, and left just a trace of gunk at the bottom. Good for beginners looking at non-aro tobacco, and nice for a mild all-day smoke or for breaking in a new pipe, but nothing special about it for me. Worth keeping around, that's for sure.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (120)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

What can I say that is great about this blend that others haven't?

A smooth smoking, wonderful burley/fig flavor. Never hints at biting. A great burley flavor down to the bottom of the bowl. Great for both indoor and outdoor enjoyment. This has always been my go to blend for breaking in pipes. Forms a great cake in rapid time.

Pairs well with just about any beverage, even root beer.

Majike44 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Majike44 (1)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the first pipe tobacco I tried. On the transition from Rocky Patels to this simple blend I noticed, I can easily say this is a magnificent smoke. A simple, pleasant taste, and not too odiriferous to the room make this blend a wise investment to the frugile smoker. There may be better blends out there, but this is extremely convenient and worth the price!

RC seminarian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RC seminarian (2)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

Well, here's my first review, after returning to the pipe about a year ago. I chose this to start off with due to the favorable reviews I found here. With 200 + 3 star reviews, there is little I can add. I have smoked it continuously for the past 12 months and have found it to be predictably pleasant in taste. It always lights easily and needs few relights, and is very easy on the tongue. I don't know about the room note as I always smoke outdoors; I rarely get a comment on it, pro or con. It can get bitter at the bottom of the bowl, but that's just burley. I am not experienced enough to detect the Virginia, but I suspect it is very light in content.

If you like burley and /or are a beginner, this is a "must try" blend. Also makes a good 50/50 mix with Smoker's Pride Black Cavendish.

(Side note to "Pokey Nipple", below : Obama went to Harvard, and we are likewise all very impressed.)

mel51us Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mel51us (47)

Carter Hall has been around for many years. I remember my Grandfather smoking it in his cobs. I don't smoke burleys very often, but this is growing on me. A little moist straight from the pouch, but an hour of exposure renders it very delicious. The flavor makes me wonter what they added to the Burley. It is a wonderful smoke, especially when fishing. Carter Hall is one of those "Drug Store" blends that doesn't leave others scrambling for the doors. Even non-smokers usually comment on the room note, remembering being around some who smoked this and enjoying the smell. As a Latakia lover, I almost passed on the opportunity to try this. I am surely glad I didn't.

ivycap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ivycap (63)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

A straight forward burley tobacco. Mild, sweet, and nutty. I'd say just a notch below price Albert in quality as far as taste goes. As far as the roomnote goes, your non-smoking friends will not be pleased. Who cares, right?

Davie Jones Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davie Jones (61)
Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant

This tobacco came by as a total, complete and unexpected surprise.

I was in a "I don't want to pay a lot of money for my tobacco" kind of mood and ordered a tub of CH.

I smoke Samuel Gawith, C & D, Erinmore, MacBaren, Dunhill, Peterson, Rattray's, Escudo, etc. etc. so I know about high quality leaves.

But I must say I have been extremely impressed with this delicious, no nonsense kind of burley/VA mixture. The tub aroma was delicious and, as with Prince Albert, seems to be a topping more than a casing.

Once approprietaly dried, this proves a very pleasurable smoking experience if you smopke it slowly and don't push it - otherwise, It will have tendency to bite. Non complex and subtle taste consisting of nuts, something close to bourboun, vanilla and of course, tobacco. Behaves very well, stays lit, is less bitter than PA towards the end and does not disappoint.

Highly recommended!

chetking Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chetking (54)

Previous reviewer Pokey Nipple has the correct drop on this long standing, U.S. American burley and Virginia standard. For the price and consumate mild flavour you'd be hard-pressed to find a rival. Not as riveting or memorable as those other time-tested Plebian staples - Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, Prince Albert or Half and Half - but this is very close. Notwithstanding the pyrotechnics from the proponderance of elitists or "would bees" reviewing on this website, straightaway CH is a just a solid, enjoyable and thankfully affordable pipe smoking encounter. Happy hunting!

Pokey Nipple Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pokey Nipple (7)

This is excellent stuff and I'm glad it has been reviewed well here. I've only been a member here a week or so and already I'm tired of the tired phrase "drugstore tobacco."

What this is, is a classic. It has a fruity, figgy thing going on--subtle, mind you. Tasty stuff. Perfect as an all-day. Go easy on it, but if you're a pipe smoker you know that already about every bowl no matter what's in it. Or at least you should.

Many, of course, are reluctant to like it as much as they do because it is a "drugstore blend," and that's ok. We're human and judge much by reputation. You can get just as good an education at the University of Minnesota as you can at Yale, but no one will ever admit it, especially those who went to Yale.

George W. Bush went to Yale and we're all very impressed.

kiowapipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kiowapipe (17)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

My first encounter with this blend was years ago. I was heading out on a canoe trip in the Canadian boundary waters and picked up a pouch of CH from a liquor store. I had never heard of it before and didn't know anything about it but I didn't have many choices and must have decided the packaging looked the most reputable. I recall that the 'luxury pouch' did a pretty good job of keeping lake water out, and the blend served pretty well for what I had expected of it. I just recently bought another pouch as part of my OTC codger burley tour. I think it's pretty fair to compare this directly to Prince Albert. They both have a similar cut, similar texture and similar moisture out of the pouch. CH smells a bit sweeter, in a natural sort of way, with almost a maple syrup or honey sort of nose to it. It might have just a hint of a bourbony tang as well. Otherwise it has got the same nutty/cocoa aroma as PA. In the pipe it burns like a dream, if rather quickly, just like PA. A true one-match smoke. Cool and biteless, just like PA, though maybe just a bit less forgiving of aggressive puffing. I find the flavor just a bit lacking compared to PA. It tastes 'brighter,' if that means anything to you. Sharper, lighter, sweeter maybe. I find it's also more prone than PA to developing the acrid/ashy burley-burn flavor. This is definitely a codger burley stalwart, and if you're going to be an American pipe smoker you almost have to give it a try once just to see what it's about. Personally, I simply find PA more solid and satisfying, and the two are so similar I don't see why I'd ever have occasion to pick up another pouch of this. Give it a try though and see what you think.

PS- I forgot to add that this blend is famous for building cake. The stories are true, CH is a cake-making monster. I don't know what it is about this stuff, but if you want to build some cake, a few bowls of this will have you on your way. Surprisingly, it's also pretty good about not leaving a ghost.

Eonwe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eonwe (22)

This blend was a pleasant surprise. Opening the pouch, I smelled what reminded me of H&H, and so I assumed that it would smoke like H&H. It did not. This appears to be fairly straight tobacco here, with a floral tatse that reminds me of a tuned-down version of HoW's Field and Stream. It packed easy, takes a match like dream, and handles the smoulder down to the bottom. I agree that this blend doesnt alter its taste as you work your way down, but thats cool with me since this tastes so great. I must admit that my burly pallet isnt as refined as smokers who smoke mainly burly, but I know what I like, and I do like this blend. 2 and a half stars, says I... I'd go with Field and Stream if I had to smoke a burly blend (which Im praying comes back into production) but I'll reach for Carter Hall as a runner anytime...darn good smoke!

1pfr2go Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
1pfr2go (3)

Carter Hall is a very old friend to me. I've had pouches on me from bunkers in Vietnam to the ice cap in Greenland. A very nice burley that lights well, stays lit, and burns to the bottom. As with most burleys, the taste can get harsh towards the end, but shake off the ash and the remainder will be tolerable. CH is my all day/every day smoke, and always my first of the day. Cob, briar, toilet paper roll and tinfoil....the stuff is great.

I've introduced many people to the pleasures of pipe smoking by passing off a Missouri Meerschaum Scout and CH.

I remember a "How to" article in a pipe magazine that said you should puff 10 times to get a "proper light", and if you tried that with CH, you just emptied your bowl!

In case you feel that I am "uninformed" of good tobaccos, at my last inventory I had 52 blends cellared, ranging from Penzance to Half and Half.

The best advice I could offer to a new pipe smoker is don't believe everything your local tobacconist tells you, and experiment with pipes and tobacco with an open mind. And try a tin of Carter Hall with a MM Diplomat! ;)

Blacksmith Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blacksmith (4)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

This is my go to tobacco. It is one that can be smoked all day.

pipe row19 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe row19 (25)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I had to do it its a classic. I was in my local tobacco shop buying a new pipe saw it and said way not everyone has smoked it. My uncle loved this stuff as well as prince albert, captain black, half and half you know the blend your grandfather liked. So i bought it, lit up my pipe and was suprised. Its not bad very plesant. Theres a slight chemical flavor but nothing to harsh. The flavor was simple very nutty burley taste, very relaxing, no bite, and very mild. Everyone should try it atleast once

Buster Bluth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buster Bluth (51)

Pretty much a no frills reliable burley. Classic pipe smell room note and will get the "reminds me of my father/grandfather" from bystanders if smoked in public. Has become my favorite over the others like the Prince and Granger as it seems to be the most consistent and doesnt sour towards bottom of bowl. Good as a blender. Sometimes use it to break in pipes. It packs and burns with ease as it is a fine cut. Very neutral and inoffensive. Great with the morning coffee, and as a lighter smoke for the warmer months.

T. Collin Francis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
T. Collin Francis (15)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Not a bad burley blend at all,I like it. The Virginia sweetens it up a bit, and is quite nice. Nice ribbon cut, easy to pack and light, and it stays lit! The tin note is sweet and nutty, and it does have just a hint of bourbon, I was suprized. The room note's decent, nothing to write home about, I dumped the still burning dottle out into the ashtray and the smoldering smoke was intoxicating. When I smoke this I can't help but think of my wifes uncle, an old working cowboy who rolled his own cigarettes for 70 years,...this must have been what he smoked.

Carter Hall ain't a Porche and it ain't no BMW,...but it'll get you there like an old '65 Chevy.

Thwarp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thwarp (16)

When getting your first wiff you'll notice a very pleasant Vanilla/bourbon air too it. Its quite a pleasant old fashioned aroma back from the days when This was a highend blend.

I remember smelling the room note when I was a kid and that it was a very friendly room note to it. You can't compare the room note to an aromatic. Apples and oranges. But this room note has a lot of nostalgia behind it. It just smells of a Normal Rockwell Drawing when times were more simple

This is an excellent everyday smoke if you're looking for an inexpensive, tasty everyday smoke. Its also a great smoke to try your first puffs on. Don't even think to advise someone that Capt Black Blends are good for a first smoke cuz it just aint so.

I have a good dog. Smart and very loving. Protective of family and smart enough to know who's a friend or foe! But she's not a AKC registered anything. I'd still give her 4 stars.

Same thing with Carter hall. It's just good old fashioned good tasting tobacco worthy of being in anyones home.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Tried this when just starting out, and threw it in the garden. Seemed at the time that it had an off-taste, but now that I have on a whim given it another chance, it just tastes like a good old fashioned codger burley, with even less topping than PA or H&H. I just smoked my first bowl in three years, and will not throw the rest out. Instead, I will keep it in a jar and smoke it occasionally, use it for blending, or just keep it in reserve. For $3 (used to be 1.99 in my little town not too long ago) you could do worse. You could do worse for $10. I still notice a slight off taste, but it is not too off-putting.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (106)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is the first baccy I smoked 40 years ago so I have fond memories of it. It was available then as a beginner's package that included a cheap briar pipe, a pouch of CH and a tiny "how to" booklet that explained proper care and feeding. After that one pouch I moved on to other blends and, inexplicably, I never bought anymore CH. After reading the reviews of it on this forum, I decided to try it again. As some have remarked in their review, it has a slight pouch fragrance of chocolate, raisens & figs. It burns well with no bite and a tolerable room note. Unlike PA or SWR (which taste like cigarettes), it seems to be a blend rather than pure burley and it has a richer flavor than the other inexpensive domestic stuff. IMHO, the taste is the best of the drug store blends. I won't wait another 40 years before I buy another pouch.

Rikowrites Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rikowrites (11)

I like Carter Hall more than the Prince. It lights easily and has a nutty and sweet (due to the Virginia in it I venture) taste. Compared to the Prince, Carter Hall burns more slowly. I usually smoke Mac Baren Mixture and VA/PERS, but I try to have pouch of Carter Hall around. It is trustworthy and consistent.

Toddian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Toddian (5)

Very nice drug store brand, one of the better ones!

Taylor3006 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taylor3006 (47)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

I like Carter Hall, it's a nice mellow smoke. Not sure what "chemical" taste people are talking about, tastes like tobacco to me. Burns hot if you take big pulls but that seems normal to me. Easy to light, easy to keep lit, and requires no drying. Room note is questionable to me but overall I think for the price, this is a good tobacco. Blends well and has a pretty good nicotine kick.

hockey01 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hockey01 (28)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Plain as a mud fence and totally inoffensive, this blend is just like an old friend: easy to have around, reliable, and you can spend all day with it. There's a reason your Grandpa liked his Carter Hall and wrinkled his nose whenever you lit up your "foo-foo" blend that cost four times the price.

A good 'ol American blend and long may it wave.

vinnie799 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vinnie799 (33)

I'm smoking this blend because a freiend of mine was touting how good is was in his Cavvichi. I thought wow, a $4USD tobac in a $200+ USD pipe must account for something! I picked up a pouch a while later only to be treated to a real wholesome, nutty, flavorful blend. A good burley blend for sure. I'm convinced that the little bit of virginia in there accounts for some sweetness. Casing/flavoring? Who knows for sure but I do get a sense of maybe a whiskey/bourbon scent and flavor in Carter Hall. Absolutely NO complaints.

I seriously can't find a 'chemical' taste here as s few others referred to here. A good example of peoples' body chemistry being differnt.

Carter Hall is easy to fill and light and stays lit when mindlessly puffing away or enjoying a sedentary spell on the porch with no fear of tongue bite. many say it's great in a acob. Well, I haven't met a tobacco that a cob doesn't compliment.

So there you have it from Cob to Cavvichi Carter Hall is an inexpensive, easily accessible on the street tobacco worthy of at least THREE stars!

HabaneroHardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HabaneroHardy (4)

I purchased some drug store pipe tobacco in 1.5 oz boxes back in 1997 that were in the discount bin for 10 cents a piece. I opened up a box of Carter Hall in 2010 some 13 years later and found it moist and with a pleasant aroma. I proceeded to smoke it in a pipe I had given my father as a gift back in 1968 when I was 8 years old. It was a nice mild smoke and with a lot of nostalgia behind it.

Sweetbriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sweetbriar (14)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

a nice taste that burns fast. good to start the day with.

echo5kilo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
echo5kilo (3)

This is what kinda made me want to smoke a pipe. My Father and Grand Father smoked Carter Hall. My Dad always smoked a Cob. My Grand father always smoked Dr Grabow straight Grand Dukes. I have quite a few Grand Dukes and Cobs OTC's I have two nice Savanelli's too. Guess what?. My Grand Dukes are every bit as good. New pipe smoker get a cob. Cobs are very good, except for the chinese knock off's. Get some Prince Albert or Carter Hall. Very easy transition from Cigs.

I started out on Prince Albert. I like Carter Hall better. But i think Prince Albert is very good too. Carter Hall what makes it for me is that it is the same from start to finish. Prince Albert can get a little burn flavor towards the bottom of your bowl if you puff hard on it.

BarryE Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BarryE (6)

Out of all the old time tobaccos, this blend is quite simply the best. Carter Hall burns evenly to fine gray ash, and never bites. I smoke this regularly.

mtnhkraz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mtnhkraz (4)
Mild Very Mild Mild Unnoticeable

This was my second tobacco purchase after CBW. I saw a pouch and grabbed it and then ran home with it.

The first few bowls were great. Nice nutty flavor and the Burley comes through. As the pouch has breathed a bit it gets even better. I have had no bite issues and have really enjoyed this through my cob.

I have been mixing it with other tobaccos I don't like so far to make them tolerable. So far in my short pipe smoking career this has to be in my top 5. I think I will always keep this around as a great everyday smoke.

apipeareyouserious? Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
apipeareyouserious? (21)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

I really really wanted to love this stuff. I bought it in a pouch, and didn't like it. Bought a can of it, and I still don't like it. There's this strong chemical taste that really overpowers this tobacco for me, it has a horribly bitter flavor that I can't get out of my mouth. I've tried it in cobs and in briars, and I've tried it many many times...I'd love to love it, they sell it at my local grocery store, but I just can't take it.

sailorjosh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sailorjosh (4)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

A cheap drugstore brand, but everyone knows that. Honestly, it's not half bad. Burns easy. Flavour isn't too far from a cigarette - but I guess that is to be expected. Carter hall is what it is, but hell, I like it! This is one of those ones that is going to get you a lot of grandpa comments.

AbeCox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AbeCox (17)

A good workhorse blend. As long as you don't overdo it, this blend will let you puff it all day long. Its simply smooth and mild burley that has the essence of nuts. Good stuff, there's a reason its been around for so long.

Mr. Brizzi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Brizzi (15)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

Carter Hall is rated One Star. True, the tub of tobacco was on a shelf in the smoke shop for a number of years, and when the tub was opened, the tobacco was nearly white, looking more like Shredded Wheat, than something you would want to stick in your pipe and smoke it. Portions of the product were mild, others very bitter and headachy. Tastes more like cigarette tobacco and is a low pipe tobacco product. The room note, no different than cigarette. The finish poor, requiring a strong cup of coffee, black, no sugar, to remove the after taste. So, where do I put my recommendation..? Well, if you're on a budget, it's okay. I really would not otherwise recommend this. Nostalgia, is nice, but in this case, it's not all that good.

Raffles Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Raffles (11)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Anyone who doubts the presence of polypropylene glycol should try drying this tobacco. Most Middletons take about four days, this takes more like eight! That said, if you can find a pipe it likes, mixed with about 25-30% Five Brothers it can deliver a passably decent smoke. On its own I find it just too nondescript. Might have been 3 stars, but I also get a touch of bite.

kyrider54 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kyrider54 (4)

Tried this upon reccomdations by other reviewers.Didnot like this one at all! It was very bitter throughout the smoke.I didnot finish the bowl because of that reason.It was easy to light and burned well but became very bitter with in seconds after the light.I would not rcommend this at all.

whitebriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
whitebriar (29)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

nothing "put on" here--good all day tobacco--easy to pack--easy to light--good robust burley flavor-- if you are looking for subtleties, save your money--if you are looking for a good honest smoke, this is a good bet--

i could easily choose (actually probably would choose) this one for my desert island blend--

pipe smoking country boy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe smoking country boy (4)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

nice all day smoke. packs and burns well. i can smoke it in the house with no complaints. one of the best otc tobaccos i've tried. the price is not bad when your broke.

yinyang Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
yinyang (45)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Not too much more can be said about this one. Most cigarette shops carry it, making it a reliable source of pipe smoke. Course, RYO tobacco can be had that way as well, so what's there that makes it worthwhile?

The taste, silly.

Good ol' fashioned burley...not overly glooped up with humectants like many OTC's. Yeah, it's a bit monodimensional, but y'know what? That's makes it a good candidate for an all day smoke. (Course, so does it's price, and aforementioned availability.)

To be fair, my interest in burley's have nosedived as of late, thanks in large to it's sweet VA cousin. Still, I have, and will keep some CH in my cellar for those times I just want a good stout smoke without the need to dwell on 'nuance' and 'complexity'. (It's occasionally nice to just mindlessly smoke like a madman, without thought of tongue bite, or destroying the flavor profile, or such rot.)

3 solid stars overall.

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (81)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I've been watching you at the drug store. I watched as you noticed the old timey brands on the shelf and turned your nose up, probaly thinking to yourself that those poor wretches who smoke that tobacco are really missing out. Hmmm. Haven't tried Carter Hall? What are you waiting for? This is no push over Burley here. Carter Hall is real tobacco pleasure,the way your grandad knew about. Do yourself a favor and get a box, fill your pipe and sit out on the porch in the rocking chair this evening. Maybe read a Mark Twain story. That's Carter Hall. Real Tobacco pleasure.

Note to new pipe smokers: If you have been somking sweet aromatics and then switch to a tobacco like Carter Hall, CH will taste bitter and unpleasant to you. It's the same thing with eating something very sweet and turning around and having a glass of wine. Give this tobacco a chance. It hasn't been around this long for nothing. Enjoy!

Also the price for Carter Hall is right which will add to your enjoyment even more. The price isn't silly like some of these pipes, and "boutique blends" today.

paulw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
paulw (32)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This reminded me of alot better sir walter, a burley trying to be elegant. okay

Mountain Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mountain Man (23)

This is a tobacco that I can't do without.I use more CH than any other tobacco.It is mild enough for all day,every day smoke.I also use it for mixing with strong,or hard to burn tobaccos like cubecuts.The flavor is a delicious mild,sweet, nutty flavor.The tobacco isnt goopy,and easily burns all the way to the bottom and stays lit for me with just one light.I can't do without this one.

LedZeppelin@@@ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LedZeppelin@@@ (2)
Mild to Medium Mild Very Full Strong

This is cheap chemical stuff at it's best, yuk! I smoked half a bowl and threw the whole tin in the trash. It was that bad!

Meisterlowin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meisterlowin (16)
Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

My usual local tobacco vendor closed up shop so I had to venture down to the local cheap-cigs shop. Having little knowledge of OTC blends, I closed my eyes and grabbed a can of this stuff. It's actually pretty good.

The can smells to me of fig and maybe whisky...very pleasant. Moisture content was spot on for me and the consistency of the ribbon is good.

If you are accustomed to aromatics (which I'm not) you probably won't like this tobacco. I usually smoke english blends because I like unadulterated taste and although this is a very mild smoke, I don't detect much if any topping. Burns even and cool with no bite.

Not too shabby at all. There are certainly better burleys available but this can be a good everyday smoke. I'm glad I like it because I bought a whole tub of the stuff.

Edit: I changed the strength to medium because for some reason, this (and most) burley seems to knock me on my arse although it seems for many, this is a mild strength tobacco.

Storm Watch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Storm Watch (25)

Carter Hall is another non complex smoke. Fairly cheap at $24 a tub where I live. Good for watching a movie or puttering about on the computer. I also find it pleasant smoking it sitting in the back yard watching the squirrels play. Burns well and stays lit. Doesn't bite.

I've been working on a tub of this for some time now, off and on. This is your proto-typical OTC burley blend. It's far from my favorite OTC, but it's your basic non-offensive pure burley tobacco. Not overly flavorful, this was obviously designed to be an all-day smoke, probably for those who smoke a lot all day! There is a mild topping that becomes an irritant from time to time but it comes and goes - it's mostly "gone". It's predominantly a straight tobacco taste, nothing to throw the taste buds into a rapturous tizzy, but nice and steady. It's hard to imagine anyone hating this but I can certainly see how some smokers would long for a bit more pizzaz.

If you're into OTC's, you've obviously tried this already. If you're not and you're wondering what the fuss is all about, this might be a good place to start. My experience tells me that as cute and handy as those little packages are, the tub is much more consistent.

Crigs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Crigs (13)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Strong

This was the mystery tobacco at a pipe smoking contest that I was a part of a couple of years ago. I smoked it in a Bing style Dunhill. The pipe did survive, but had to be thoroughly cleaned and reamed afterwards. My mouth was sore for a week. Fast, slow, it did not matter. The Taste started off bland and but moved to gym socks by mid bowl. Foul stuff indeed. No, I didn't win the contest. The poor chap who did had to drink nothing but ice water for 6 days....

Mrmagoo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mrmagoo (1)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

As a 1 year pipe smoker I had read the reviews of Carter Hall on this site and thought I would give it a try. My first impression upon opening the pouch was the smell of chewing tobacco which as not impressive. It burns well, tastes OK, and has none of the aromatic qualities I prefer. If you like a straight tobacco flavor this one is not too bad but not for me.

RangePool Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RangePool (6)

A part of me thinks that pipe tobacco should be judged by what it was intended to be. Carter Hall is designed to be easy to smoke. It is never more ready to smoke than when the cellophane is first broken. It is mild and pleasant, and burns easily without requiring much attention on the part of the smoker. It is readily available OTC across most of the US. By these criteria, Carter Hall is a four star tobacco, and one of the two great American OTC blends (the other being Prince Albert). Yes, it falls short in the flavor department, but to some extent, the other strong attributes it has work against it being a flavorful tobacco. I give it three stars.

PoloniusMonk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PoloniusMonk (1)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

After fifteen years of not smoking a pipe, I came across my old pipes one day and rather than sell them or give them away, I decided to have another round and approached this curious habit as a new pipe smoker. Partly because of the reviews here, and partly because the nearest tobacconist is 40 miles away, I bought a pouch of Carter Hall.

Upon opening the pouch, it seemed to have a nice aroma, wasn't overly moist, but I let it air for a little while before filling the bowl of an old English billiard. After all those years, it wasn't too bad. In my first “pipe life” I had started with Borkum Riff, and worked up through Sail, and eventually to some pipe shop blends, both aromatic and English.

Carter Hall seemed mild through the first half of the bowl, but grew a little harsh, and this was consistent with five or six separate smokings. Still, it wasn't too bad, just not something to get excited about. Then, I made the 80-mile round trip and bought three tins – Peterson's Sherlock Holmes, Sunset Breeze and Davidoff's Blue Mixture – each distinctively different.

I placed the 3 tins and the CH on the table and, one at a time, my wife (who knows nothing about pipe weed) and I smelled them, starting with Carter Hall. We both agreed on the raisin, fig-newton, scent, but she said she smelled something “unnatural”. Next, we opened the Blue – “Like a walk in the woods”, she said. Next the Sherlock – “Mmmmmm, kind of nutty”. The Sunset was very pleasing and quite amaretto.

Then we reversed the smell testing, and went back through the tins, each as enjoyable as the first time. But, when we got back to the CH pouch, it had a chemical smell; the raisin scent had turned acrid. I was amazed, but the nose knows quality tobacco.

I loaded a bowl of the Davidoff (after letting it sit on a napkin for 20 minutes) and found it to be all of what I had found satisfying about the CH burley, but with a lot more depth and no harshness. I also found that after smoking the carter Hall, my pipe had a rather unpleasant residual smell that lingered.

Yes, I had to make a 2 hour round trip for the Davidoff's Blue. Yes, it costs 3 times as much as Carter Hall. Was it worth it? It certainly was.

I can give Carter Hall 2 stars for being what it is, and if that's all you have available. Otherwise, drive as far as you can, or order online, to get something better. Smoke less – enjoy it more.

smoke65 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoke65 (4)

Tried it once a few months ago, just as an alternative to PA & SWR. I have to admit that CH is not that bad. I agree with other reveiwers about the aroma, flavoring, and overall room smell (although I smoke outside).

Although I most likely remain loyal to PA & SWR, I cannot say anything negative about this product and will recommend it to those who want a good, classic smoke at a good price (until congress screws us with yet another tax)

Uruss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uruss (7)
Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Wow, I'm ashamed that I haven't smoked this blend before now. I actually am just now getting into the "drugstore" blends.

This was my first venture into them, and I have to say, Carter Hall will have a regular spot in my bowls from now on. CH is an all Burley blend and a fantastically mild one at that. It stays lit throughtout the smoke and easily packs. It's moisture is "just right" out of the pack. I'm about 3-4 bowls into the pouch, I can't say enough, you get so much for your buck with this smoke. People around you will be glad you packed a bowl of CH, it's a wonderful room note.

If you've never smoked CH or are just getting into smoking, I'd highley suggest Carter Hall. I wish someone had put me onto it when I started.

Fellow traveler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fellow traveler (64)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Sweet summertime, ice coffee, cobs and Carter Hall. Seems like a floral version of PA.

Nice when all the European drug store blends become tiresome and tedious.

tycobby2003 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tycobby2003 (4)

Very good tobacco. It is very light on flavoring and it just picks up a room. the crowd will love it and it taste good as well

CenTex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CenTex (15)
Mild Very Mild Mild Tolerable to Strong

Went on a drug store splurge and bought a tub of this based on some of the reviews here. Seemed somewhat dry in the tin, smelled great. Easily lit, stayed lit to the bottom of a large agpple briar, with a good room note. Very mild flavor. A simple, reliable relaxing smoke.

Update: As much as I like it, this stuff does leave a stale smell in the air afterwards. Relegated to the smoke outdoors category.

Dewey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dewey (5)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is my first tobacco I ever smoked, seeing how i just started pipe smoking today. I feel somewhat strange writing a review with nothing else to go on, but even with no other tobacco knowledge I can say this is a nice smoke. I did buy a Black Cherry aromatic also but won't be smoking it by itself and won't be mixing it with this blend. The clerk at the tobacco shop said Carter Hall was the second most popular buy there, second to Prince Albert which they were out of. So, I will most likely be comparing Carter Hall to Prince Albert in the near future, then on to more exotic quality blends. If your new to pipe smoking Carter Hall won't let you down.

Tripp_655321 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tripp_655321 (6)

If for some reason i can't finnd PA, i buy this. it's very similar, but there is no Turkish tobacco in it. It burns and smokes just like PA, but there is a flavor in there that reminds me of beer, makes me want a sam adams.

Funn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Funn (14)

I'm a smoker of all types of tobaccos. This I consider meat loaf and potatos of tobaccodom (Funn Dictionary). Like others here I used to laugh at CH,PA,& OTC smokers. This is a fantastic all day smoke that is tireless. Easily packed,will go out if you stop puffing and I can exhale this through my nose without losing the hair. Has a raisin,chocolate,fruit smell and taste. Reminds me of one of my favorites..fruitcake. Lots of smoke,burns easily,biteless. can't taste any chemical additives. More aromatic than PA or 5 Bros. but not B&M aromatic. This is the fruitier of all the OTC's I've tried and it is a winner. You can go to this when your mouth is worn out from the "upper" crust tobaccos for relief. Don't have to worry about nuances and implied tastes, etc. Just plain good tobacco. Morning , noon, or night!. Great for outside or inside. Tried it in everything except a clay and it continues to shine. Persistant in taste never changing. First tried pouches & realized I was wasting money so I moved to a tub. I keep this in a plaid (I hate the color) sifter pouch so I can top the bowl w/crumbs,which really isn't neccesary as it burns excellently. No matter what you smoke,get a pouch of this & try it. You won't be disappointed IMHO. Highly recommended as a safe place to go for a change and relief from anything!! As mentioned earlier if this were tinned one could charge much more. Take advantage of it NOW!.

Shawn_M Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shawn_M (43)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Years back when I was still attending the seminary, I bought quite a bit of this due to it's low price, ($1.79 for a pouch as I recall.) While the word "unremarkable" comes to mind, "reliable","consistant" and dependable do as well.

It has enough flavor to make it worthwhile, packs and lights well and is not prone to biting. If you are new to pipe smoking you could do worse than this for a "starter blend".

Updated 3/22/10

I bought a package of this over the weekend, and I can honestly say I was rather ungracious in my initial review. My tastes must have changed over the years as I was very pleased with it.

I'm adding an extra star to my reiview and will by more CH in the future.

Rewster66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rewster66 (15)

This blend is not great at anything but at the same time not bad at nothing. Will not bite under any circumstance due to not having any teeth, so it will not leave your tongue feeling like you've been chewing on saw briars. It smells just good enough to keep your wife from divorcing you because of stinking up the house. Will not break your bank (another plus with the wife). You can purchase it in a nice little luxury pouch so some of the so called purists won't kick you out of the pipe club because it did'nt come in a fancy tin. What does it taste like - I don't know. What does it smell like - I don't know that either. But I do know that I like it and I believe you will too if you'll give it a try.

Dr. Grabowski Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Grabowski (4)

I'm relatively new to pipe smoking, two years, and Carter Hall is only the eleventh tobacco I've tried. Unfortunately, almost every one has been a drug store brand. But so far this is my favorite. I love the taste, burns great, and really nice non-overpowering aroma. I'll keep trying new blends but I can see Carter Hall being my go-to brand when in doubt.

Smokering Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smokering (7)

I cut my teeth on pipes during the Golden Age of pipe smoking which was the 1980's (according to Rick Hacker). I smoked alot of drug store blends until I graduated to Lane aromatics (BCA) and then I discovered C&D burley blends and Iwan Ries Dr. Bradley and I figured I was all set. Then during the holiday season I had a bud send my a Tub of Carter Hall for Christmas. I figured in the spirit of the season I would have a bowl and then toss the tub away or use it for spare change. Nope. What a great burley blend. Nothing much I can add here that hasn't been said, but if you want a mild tobacco that holds its flavor to the bottom of the bowl. If you want a tobacco that burns dry and cool that stays lit, here it is. I have smoked nothing else in the last two weeks having up to 6-8 bowls a day on the weekends and I am hooked!! It smokes nice in Meerschaums and my Ascortis and Caminettos!!

Wesley Salisbury Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wesley Salisbury (2)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

As an associate at Rite Aid and aspiring pipe smoker, I find myself browsing through all of the different pipe tobaccos the store carries (I get a decent discount on it, too!). We carry the typical CB/PA/H&H lineup, but we sell small pouches of Carter Hall. I was short on cash, and I needed something to tide me over until payday, so I walk out with a pouch of Carter Hall for 3 bucks.

In the pouch, it has a nice spicy smell. Full of anise and clove notes, and maybe a bit of liquorice. Perfect moisture content, and it's nice and springy. Of course, it smells like a burley.

In my Dr. Grabow Grand Duke (also purchased from Rite Aid), it has a nice full nutty flavor. Typical of a good burley tobacco. It's mild enough to take deep draws to blow smoke rings without irritation, and strong enough to leave a nice lingering aftertaste. Packs nice, burns nice, and at a good temperature.

The room note is memorable and classic. Not "stinky", and not necessary pleasant, but something that would remind you of your grandfather's "Man Den", or garage.

It has a more complex and pleasing flavor than H&H or PA, so if I can find it in larger containers, this will be an everyday tobacco for me. I bet this would be even better mixed with a bit of Captain Black White.

I recommend this blend if you want something cheap and flavorful.

scotts Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scotts (2)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

In the package to me this tobacco has a strong scent of fig newton / dried apricot. New pipe smoker, and not familiar with real aromatics, so that's relative. To me the smell is strong, but not in a good, tobacco-ey sense.

Smokes kind of hot in a missouri pride cob for me (so far), and needs a few relights. Seems to have a decent nicotine kick. My tin (plastic) had a hairline crack in the bottom. Maybe it is a little dry for the smoking. Rehydrated and moved to a mason jar.

It is enjoyable, and I've got enough to be smoking awhile. Will revisit if/when thoughts change.

jvande7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jvande7 (15)
Medium Very Mild Mild Tolerable

Carter Hall is a pleasure to smoke. It burns VERY well. It smokes cool, stays lit, tastes good, costs very little. It's an above average tobacco for bargain of a price. This is bang-for-your-buck central. Grab a MM cob pipe and some Carter Hall and you are set for less than $10. Great stuff for beginners like myself since it shows you how well a pipe can/should stay lit. I smell a faint hint of vanilla and black liquorice in this tobacco. If I had to cut way back on my tobacco spending, I would buy bulk Carter Hall and be a very happy camper. Since my current situation allows me to spend more, I won't say this stuff is my #1 choice but it is something I plan to have on- hand at all times. Make sure you try this stuff at least once, you'll probably be pleasantly surprised. Would also be great for breaking in new pipes. I am only giving it 2 stars, but it probably deserves more on account of value - don't let the 2 star rating scare you away.

zach00zach Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zach00zach (1)

after reading some reviews of this tobacco on this site i decided to pick some up to break in my new Savinelli pipe. i must say that this tobacco is one of the best and most consistent ones i have ever smoked. the smell is a nutty vanilla smell unlike anything else and it does taste somewhat like it smells. i usually smoke this on my break between classes at my college and have had many people compliment me on the smell. i am both surprised and glad i found this cheap OTC tobacco. definitely a blend i'll keep on hand.

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The tub aroma of this crimp-cut mixture is of a slightly grassy tobacco with a very light top note suggesting apples, though it may very well be a touch of honey.

A blend of brown burleys with a smidgen of bright VA, the leaf used is innocuously mild and smooth. It is remarkably gentle on the tongue, burns evenly, and is as trouble-free a smoke as could be desired.

What Carter Hall lacks in dynamism and depth, it more than makes up in amiability and congeniality and, as such, would make an ideal introductory smoke. This went well in a chamber of any gauge.

Very Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

This blend smelled like a cross between Half&Half and PA in the bag, sort of chocolatey, sort of like anise. Very mild flavor, very mild aroma...no pleasant nuttiness as with PA. This was just a very unrmarkable tobacco. It burned well and produced a nice amount of smoke, but otherwise it tasted like H&H but lighter, btw...I hate H&H. The pouch contents were flushed after one bowlfull. Need I say yuck?..ok...YUCK!

Roddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Roddy (41)

This is a very good burley for the price. Light and slightly sweet. You could easily smoke this all day long without complaint. It is truly at it's best when smoked in a cob. No bite and quite smooth. Will not hesitate to buy more. In fact I'm going to buy more to see how well it cellars.

Buy your tobacco now for a rainy day. Times are getting worse and more and more tobacco laws will restrict what you can get and how much it will cost.

DaveS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DaveS (11)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Exquisite taste. No bite. Lights very easily. Perfect moistness. Can absoloutely smoke it all day. What more could you want in any tobacco? Get some.

Blade One Star Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blade One Star (9)

I am only an occasional smoker. I smoke on hunting and fishing trips, tailgating, etc. Carter Hall is great tobacco for the occasional smoker or beginner. It has a good taste, doesn't bite, stays lit and burns for a long time. It also has a good aroma. Since I don't smoke a lot it is also important to me how well a tobacco ages. Carter Hall just gets better and better the longer you keep it. It is a great affordable tobacco.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (134)

I had ordered a 2 ounce sample of this online. I am very surprised as to how good this tastes. Of the OTC weeds on the market, this is one of the best I have smoked. It packs and lights very easily and really does not need much tending to after the first light. I really can't add anything more positive than what has already been said below, except that I wholeheartedly concur. I have a couple more stops on my OTC trip to make, but as I say this is one of the best of the OTC blends I have had thus far. Definitely recommended for the starting pipe smoker and for those wanting a change of pace from their regular weed.

Bub Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bub (18)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

I like this best after letting the pouch sit open for a few days. Mellows the flavor just enough to make it a more enjoyable smoke. Still like PA better but this is good too. Smoke it in a cob for best results or use it to cake up your new brier. Although I think PA is better for breaking in a new pipe. It won't ghost the pipe as much as this flavoring will.

dt753 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dt753 (12)

When I was a child, I used to go with my grandfather to visit a friend of his who smoked only Carter Hall in his vast collection of Medico and Grabow pipes. This gentleman was in his late eighties, and had been a pipe smoker all his life.

After spending 20 years smoking Pall Mall cigarettes, I finally decided to switch to the pipe. I went to my local tobacconist, and (following his suggestion) picked up several different aromatics to try and find one I liked. What I found was loads of tongue bite and a goopy, wet pipe. I had remembered my grandfathers friend smoked Carter Hall, but when I asked my tobacconist, he just told me that he did not carry drugstore brands because they were no good.

One day I stopped by a discount cigarette store to see if they carried any pipe tobacco, and I spotted the familiar Carter Hall pouch sitting on the shelf. I figured for $2.25 I didnt have much to loose by trying it out. Boy, am I glad I did.

Carter Hall is a simple burley tobacco&..simply GOOD, that is. It is the best behaving tobacco I have ever smoked, it stays lit and the taste is uniform from start to finish. As long as you dont puff like a freight train, it wont bite at all. Not only is the taste of Carter Hall simple, the art of smoking it is the essence of simplicity as you need not be too concerned with how you load it, tamp it, or light it.

I dont smoke CH exclusively, but it is always included heavily in my rotation. When you consider the price, taste, smokability, and availability of this most humble of blends, you will probably discover that you just cant beat Carter Hall.

My grandfathers friend smoked Carter Hall exclusively, and now I know why. Looks like the old codgers were a lot smarter than I gave them credit for.

Canicus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Canicus (7)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Of the drugstore burly blends, this was a real surprise! I like English/Balkan blends - not a tobacco snob, but my go-to OTC blends were always PA and Half and half - with a nod to the Prince.

About a month ago, I bough a new pipe, went to a nearby Rite Aid to get some "break-in burly" - and this was all they had - so I bought a pouch.

I can't put my finger on it, but this tobacco has a smoother, more natural taste than either H&H (always the roughest of these) or PA - which surprised me. It's my new OTC favorite - and I'm gettin' me a tub......

Tried Granger long ago and may do so again - these blends are all close, but for breaking in a new pipe, a midday puff while gardening or with the orning coffee - CH has that nostalgic "patina" and just good taste that wins out.

My opinion anyway - don't think there's anything more subjective than tobacco selection!

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)

It's all been said. 4 stars. As someone from the Eurozone, it's a shame this stuff is very hard to find here. I've tried and love PA...this goes on the great American Burley list. I love my Samual Gawith and Gawith Hoggarts, I love my Navy Blends and mature VA flakes....but this is so nice for a change of pace. A must for Burley lovers...the price defies logic. Top Marks.

DrugStorePuffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrugStorePuffer (6)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Went to the store and reluctantly bought this because it was the only thing they had in stock. Reluctantly opened the pouch and took a whiff...HMMM? Looked at the cut...HMMM? Not dry...HMMM? Not overly moist...HMMM? Packed my Briar and fired her up. WOW...WOW...WOW!!! What a fine smoke this is. This is not an aromatic and it is not a strong flavoured smoke but boy oh boy is it enjoyable. Just a nice and cool,even burning, biteless pleasure to smoke. There is just the right amount of flavour to this burley and it is not all covered up by some cheap chemical casing. Until smoking Carter Hall I liked some of the stronger cherry tobacco blends that are out there. This stuff has me seriously reconsidering having called myself a cherry smoker. I still have a pouch of Paladin lying around and I'm sure I'll still occassionally mix up my little blend of BRCC & LLCC(see my cherry reviews)but as far as ready to smoke OTC's go...I think I'll be smoking Carter Hall on a fairly regular basis. Also, at $2.00 a pouch(and don't be ignorant and stick your nose up at the CHEAP price) I doubt you'll find anything anywhere comparable to this for many times that price. NO BITE in your mouth and NO GOOP in your bowl. GO FOR IT!!!

EDIT 07/17/2009 I intentionally avoided CH for about a month and went back to Cherry Blends. NO MORE! I am now an official CARTER HALL smoker. This stuff is excellent...PERIOD!

Wrangler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wrangler (15)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

I just tried some CH in a MO. meerchaum and although it was a pleasant smoke, it was a little bit disappointing. It struck me as somewhat of an aromatic ciggy tobacco. I've never heard of such a thing but if there is one it is CH. This is not to disparage drugstore blends by any means, it's just my perception of the tobacco. A major selling point would be price for me. For $4.19 for 1.5 oz. at Rite Aid I'd have to be inclined to think I'd buy it in a pinch if out of town and ran out of tobacco and didn't want to take any chances on some unknown brand for my smoking pleasure. I will finish smoking the pouch I have and maybe put one up for emergencies. I'd recommend it to someone making the transition from ciggys to pipe for sure. Happy smoking!

catdaddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
catdaddy (18)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Top of the drug store blends in my book and an excellent burley for blending. Why pay more?

AcworthAl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AcworthAl (20)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

The other day I was looking for a change of pace, as I was smoking some rather strong blends, similar to Larry?s Blend. I had a small amount of Carter Hall left in the pouch. I was surprised at just how good this is. It TASTE GOOD, burns easy, and makes for a good smoke. I ordered a large tin. If one considers the price, it really is a great deal.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

I like this more than Prince Albert, but not much more. CH has less hay flavors and is not quite as bloated as PA. Like PA, the smell on clothes and furniture the next day is rank. Works best in a cob for me as a first pipe of the day. That's about it.

Rebo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rebo (3)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

There's not much more I can add to the many comments that have already been made. If you like burley, you'll probably like Carter Hall. It tastes good, it practically smokes itself, it won't bugger up your pipe, and it makes a great blender too. Not bad for an OTC tobacco!

Stumper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stumper (7)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

Good grief. I'm astounded by how riculously GOOD this blend is considering that it was the cheapest tobacco in the entire shop. I would have skipped it entirely were it not for someone commenting in their review of another tobacco that they thought Carter Hall was the best "drugstore pouch". CH isn't my favourite Tobacco but it is good enough that I will seek it out to keep some around.

Baccyman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Baccyman (16)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

This is my all-time favorite Burley blend. I have well over 50 different tobacco brands/blends to chose from and more often than not I find myself reaching for CH. I tested this on a friend of mine I would consider a real "tobacco snob" without telling him this was Carter Hall. I asked him to evaluate it as a burley lover and he said it was an excellent smoke, good flavor and consistency right down to the bottom of the bowl. When I told him it was Carter Hall he was shocked! He said he'd be purchasing this in the future.

I wholeheartedly recommend this to anyone who loves the joys of burley.

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

As far as OTCs go, this one is good. Packs easily, burns perfectly, copious smoke, requires no effort to keep it lit. Good flavor and no tongue bite. This is a great every day smoke and the price absolutely cannot be beat. I prefer this to Prince Albert.

bosbilliard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bosbilliard (9)

This tobacco was suggested me to after a bad first experience with an aromatic, and this was the first pipe tobacco I actually enjoyed. Carter Hall is a basic, simple burley. A slight nutty flavor, very mild and no tongue bite at all. In the pouch, it has the scent of raisins and figs. The room note is great and again, it stays pretty cool throughout the entire smoke.

I agree with what many have said on here; Carter Hall will not ring bells or whistles or set off fireworks. However, I don't think it was designed that way. Carter Hall is a basic, great tasting pipe tobacco that will never bite, never disappoint, and always be a simple go to. Definitely recommended for new smokers and for anyone looking for a nice, relaxing smoke.

Harpua0077 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Harpua0077 (31)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

I give this a highly recommended for one reason, it is the best of the drug-store blends I have tried. It edges out Velvet which I like too. It is a cool smoke, with little pipe juice, it has a nice aroma and a decent flavor. It isn't high in nicoteen either. I could smoke this all the time. In our house it is always available since the wife smokes it all the time. She hords it. Every time the store gets a shipment she buys all the pouches. I don't blame her. Rating along the side of Dunhill, MacBaren, McClelland, Esoterica, Butera etc... this falls short. My Personal Note Rating is about a 6.2 overall. However on a drug-store blend it hits a 9.4 my wife would give it 10 all around.

I have also done a video review of this tobacco. view it at

or at

just search for John Middleton's Carter Hall

Silver Spigot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Silver Spigot (18)

Tongue bite. Avoid this blend at all costs.

Update: I've tried this blend again, this time in the 14-oz. tub...what a difference! The pouch I tried previously was completely dried-out. This blend (properly moist) is a subtle, smooth, very mild smoke with NO BITE. Faint taste & aroma of raisins/prunes...a good smoke, but keep it moist!

1vintage1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
1vintage1 (2)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

Very pleased with this inexpensive pipe tobacco from the first bowl smoked. I tried this baccy in a meershaum pipe and was very pleased with the taste,even burn and the aroma and no tongue bite experienced. Taste was like a mild salty/sweet with a lite nutty flavor. For the last several days I have enjoyed starting my 1st smoke of the day and having it be the last smoke of the day before retiring for the night. Product can be hard to find in some localities(found mine at one of those discount tobacco outlet stores). If you try this tobacco and find you like it,I suggest stock up on a few 1-1/2 oz. pouches or the 14oz tin.

earlr1957 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
earlr1957 (9)

Lights easy, and stays lit. Burns to nice ash to completion. Moisture content is just right.

appy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
appy (7)

Greeting's fellow pipe hounds!! This is my first review so please forgive if im not profound im my jabberings. Carter Hall has always been my everyday smoke for years. (30+ yrs of piping) The subtile nuttiness is just perfect for breaking in a new pipe. Recently my wife, in which im blessed because she loves pipes as i do, purchased a very expensive plateau briar for our anniversery. 30 plus bowls of carefull breakin with the distinguisted one made a perfect home for my english types, such as 965 and balkens. Like the esteemed Pipestud, I find myself enjoying several bowls of this classic OTC blend daily. Best enjoyed in the lowely cob, cool, smooth, nice flaver and never bites. If packaged in a tin and given a victorian name such as The Hall of Carter, it would command far greater pricing!!! Peace and happy piping, brothers and sisters in our wonderful trade!!!

Madmanamus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Madmanamus (1)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

UPDATE: I can no longer recommend the 14oz. tub. It had a tendency to be bitter and harsh compared to the boxed variety, at least in my experience. It smelled amazing, eggnog-like, but I think that topping was the reason for the harshness. That smell is absent in the box/pouch, just a plain, nice tobacco smell. Much better. Still my #1.

------- I agree with the reviewer below - Comfort Food. A great companion for walks and wanders, or just sitting still. It won't harass and demand your attention, allowing your thoughts to roam where they may, until you suddenly realize how nutty and buttery and pleasant this humble tobacco is. I think I like smoking it outdoors the best, though it smells quite nice inside.

I've tried a lot of blends, and this is the only one I like having a large stock of. My favorite.

Some compare this to Prince Al, and to each their own. I find PA rough in comparison. Not nearly as rough as Half & Half, but not nearly as easy going as Carter Hall. Still, smoke what you love, and all these blends are so inexpensive (it's not a bad thing!) there's no reason not to try them. If you can't find them locally, tack one of each onto your next order of Penzance. You might make some new friends.

So yes, I do recommend this tobacco. Just try it. Codger Burlies are not just for Codgers! I'm 23. Codger Apprentice maybe.

Slow Triathlete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Triathlete (48)

Where o where have you been Carter Hall?

Like a lot of people, I smoked only premium tobacco for years and looked down my nose at these OTC blends. Man, was I an idiot!!

Do yourself a favor. Go out and buy some of this blend. Let it dry out for a bit and then fire it up. This is now my go-to everyday smoke.

k_pip_k Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
k_pip_k (8)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

-update- Downgrading this one notch after smoking it a while -update-

I just wanted to say that I really like this tobacco. I started off smoking McClellands, GL. Pease, Penzance, C&D, and after I heard all the flurry of discussion about this drugstore brand I decided to get the big tub from JR.

This is great stuff. It is flavorful, yet light enough that I lit up two bowls. I usually don't do that, kind of done after about one bowl, but this stuff I could smoke all day. The smell doesn't put off the wife too much, not like 965. It packed perfect, and smoke nicely to the bottom. I can't say that for a lot of the upscale blends!! And it is cheap.

What more could you want.

Introibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Introibo (45)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I have just smoked my first CH, part of my foray into great American classic OTC blends.

Having awarded the Prince, SWR and Walnut near supreme status in the blend pantheon, I will need to demote them and place CH at the peak of the OTC Olympus. What a blend! Mild but not insipid, tasty but not aromatic, long-burning, biteless and with an amazing room note.

If CH were made in Europe or sold only in 50 gram tins it would no doubt cost a lot more. If I wanted an all-day blend, this would no doubt be it.

The next task is to see how this blends with the Prince and with other burley blends. But by itself, CH is a real treat.

As with all other tobaccos, it is pipe-dependent. I haven't smoked it in a cob yet, so may be surprised. In the same way, it may be age-dependent, and improve with a couple of months airing out.

tonalsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonalsmoker (30)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

4 months ago I actually posted a very negative review on Carter Hall based on my first purchase of this product.My first pouch must have been from a bad pouch and the tobacco had a putrid taste to it.Being the burley fanatic that I am and a proud smoker of drugstore burley-blends I was willing to give Carter Hall another chance,and I'm glad I did!Like all burleys it lit well,now the taste was something to behold-it was a high quality burley leaf with a nice nutty taste to it.After smoking enough of it the question remains 'is it better than Prince Albert'? I have to honestly say NO.I say this because I used to smoked Marlboro Reds as my main smoke, and when I picked up the pipe instead PA became my main staple for it's depth and darker taste.But Carter Hall has alot of flavor as well,and the burley seems a little more mellow and open in comparison which can be a nice change of pace,but Carter Hall is definitely worth keeping in your rotation:)

BriarBurner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarBurner (29)
Mild Very Mild Mild Tolerable

Any tobac thats been around for as long as CH deserves 3 stars. I am a bit prejudiced because I started smoking this 45+ years ago. This is a pleasant burly blend that is mild with a sweetness that is not overpowering. This is the tobac for caking up that briar. Nothing fancy here. The price is right and the lack of complexity is nice.i.e. Standing knee deep in a trout stream with cob of CH stuck in my mush when a rainbow rises to take my fly and I drop the briar in the swirling waters. Caught the fish though. Life is Good!

Spike Malice Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Spike Malice (4)

I have read posts concerning Prince Albert and Carter Hall. Shame on the snobs. I live in Washington State. We have a 160% tax on tobacco. The tobacconist would have to write a check to the state for $16,000 after buying $10,000 worth of tobacco. Needless to say, there are few remaining. The closest thing to a "real" tobacconist is about 100 miles from me.

My mail orders from pipes and cigars are too infrequent. The minimum $100 order, or be tortured for shipping situation... Having something other than Captain Black, and the dried out Borkum Riff that the local drug store chain hides in the nether regions behind the counters is important to me.

I dicovered Carter Hall. In my opinion, better than Half&Half, and The Captain Black lines. I now have something cheap, and satisfying to hold me over between loads of Sam Gawith goodies. Do I love it, no. But I do like it. I find it slightly sweet, and smoked slow very nutty. If I had to only smoke the drugstore brands, this would be it.

The_Phantom_Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The_Phantom_Piper (11)

It's been a very long time since I've had this blend in any of my briars, and I'm happy to see that Carter Hall has not changed over the years. No it's not a "high class" blend, but it really is a nice change of pace and takes me back to a simpler time. Recommended for anyone who enjoys a good Burley blend.

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (61)

Update: What was I thinking here? I've spent the entire summer smoking about 4 tobaccos and this one has risen up to the top of that particular heap (including PA and KC). This is simple but has enough of an almost sweet flavor to make the smoke worthwhile. Smooth as a babies butt. Needs no attention at all, practically smokes itself. Basic tobacco, cheap. Heck this is easily three stars. I keep it around all the time now. Original review is below and slightly edited:

I've been smoking this in a kind of head to head competition with the other so called drug store burley blends lately. It's an inexpensive, cool, dry but nondescript experience. A very minimalist kind of tobacco. Does best in a cob where the last half seems to offer a little more taste. I also enjoy PA or Kentucky Club for a similar smoke. As noted, good for mixing and for breaking in a new pipe.

Budman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Budman (24)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

I bought a pouch of this on a whim. I figured for $1.50 no big deal. I probably won't like this any way. Sometimes the best things in life are right under our nose. Carter Hall is one of those. A simple Burley with some light top coating. It packs and lights well and produces nice plumes of smoke. It smells pleasant and doesn't bite. I like this I will buy the tub next. Recommended

WillardFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillardFan (68)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

I had almost given up on Burley blends, when on a whim, I bought a pouch of this tobacco. A nice ribbon cut, moderately moist, and a pleasant aroma were my first impressions of this OTC blend. A very nice burn upon lighting, and it maintained a mild, slightly sweet taste till the bottom of the bowl. I can see now why this one has been around for so long. Maybe our Senior Gents know a bit more than we give them credit for...

rattler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rattler (9)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Well after discovering PA was not too bad and making a post about it in the forum I frequent Carter Hall was recommended to me. I am glad it was! Much more refined than PA, more sweetness and it smoked great all the way to the bottom. No Burley bite to be found in this one. This may well become a regular in my rotation. Not a complex tobacco, but one that does the job well when you want to smoke and do something else. It is also THE blend to have with a morning cup of coffee.

pop-pop's pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop-pop's pipe (96)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is a re-vamp of my original review. I went and bought a tub of Carter Hall also. This is like Prince Albert with a southern twist. A little stronger, a slightly heavier aroma, slightly sweeter instead of nutty like P.A., and a picture of a well known Southern Estate on the can. The aroma is that of Cream Soda! I love cream soda! I will keep this and P.A. on hand from now on as my staple smokes! I love the nostalgia of both and I find them both to be very satisfying. No complaints on the room note, it smells retro 1930's and 1940's. Pipey! There are some so-called drugstore blends out there that are good smokes and this is definitly one of them!

bent-1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bent-1 (32)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

A nice sweet, nutty balance is easily achieved with this blend. I consider it the 'comfort food' of tobaccos. Slow draws deliver a cool, dry, buttery smooth sweet/nutty flavor. It's ready to go right out of the pouch, and tastes just as good to the last bowl full, the pg doesn't bother me in this blend. Initially, I used CH to break in new pipes & work out ghosts in estate pipes, but it's now a daily puff. Readily available, priced right, doesn't foul my pipes.

LtMac Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LtMac (21)

Carter Hall was the first OTC burley that I ever tried. I bought a pouch at a local tobacco shop and really liked the flavor. I was planning on going back to get more, but before I made it to the store, I stopped at a local convenience store to buy some Gatorade before working outside in the hot , humid summer. Lo and behold, there was a display of Carter Hall at the cash register marked fifty cents per boxed pouch. I immediately bought all they had in the store. I've never been without some on hand since.

Carter Hall is a mild to medium burley that just plain tastes good. It can be smoked without any thought directed towards technique if I get busy reading, watching a game on television, working, etc. I have never had it get too hot. I detect a slight fruity smell in the pouch and a slight fruity taste (possibly an apple flavor?) when smoking a bowl. Carter Hall has been around for a long time and for good reason.

PfeifenRaucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PfeifenRaucher (53)

At $1.79 per 1.5 oz for the taste of nearly pure, unadulterated burly, how can you go wrong? If you see this at the drugstore - buy it! It is not the foul-tasting stuff that most OTC blends are.

Carter Hall is quite possibly the perfect blend for moments when you want something bite-free that requires no thought about how you are smoking it. This was the perfect blend for vacationing in Las Vegas, when the sensory-overload of that town demanded a low-maintenance blend that smelled decent.

Auroraboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Auroraboy (22)

This was my first Middleton blend several years ago, and I loved it from the first bowl. The cut was sort of a thin ribbon-cut, and came relatively dry out of the pouch compared to what I was used to. What a relief after bulk aromatics from the tobacco shop, and Captain Black Royal. THIS was what I'd been looking for. The scent was just tobacco with a very light fruit or berry topping of some kind. Lights right up, very few relights, with lots of creamy smoke to enjoy. As with Prince Albert, nicotine strength is present but not overpowering. A pipeful of this, with a cup of coffee and the paper or a good book, is a truly welcome break in the midst of our "modern" world.

If it's not clear already, I think this is one of the best (if not THE best) readily-available "drugstore" brands out there today. If you haven't tried it, don't hesitate.

SirShaggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirShaggy (28)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I must say, "Old Puffer" hit his review of this tobacco right on the nose. I think that it is very mild, breaks in a pipe well, is not objectable for any bad scents or flavor and great when your mouth needs a break. I can see why many people had this for a daily smoke. It may be a touch bland but I am not sure I will ever get tired of it now and again.

Old Puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Puffer (42)

06/29/2008 Since I only dabbled a little with pipes in the '70s and '80s, All I smoked were 'drug store blends'. I didn't even know about tobacconists. Don't remember if I even tried Carter Hall. When I got serious about pipes in retirement, I avoided them as something of a youthful novelty and started learning about 'real' tobacco from you guys on the internet. However, I recently read the reviews on this baccy and decided, 'what the heck', and ordered some (my local drug stores didn't have a clue).

I'm glad you talked me into it. The stuff isn't bad at all, just a little ho-hum. It is just a wee wet in the can and after a little drying packs and lights easily. Easy to keep going and no hint of a bite. Smokes cool and there are no objectionable flavors coming out of the can or the smoke. In the can, it is a little fruity. It's a keeper, although I don't know if I'll order more. It goes over well but doesn't really do much for me. Will keep using it for bedtime smokes and see if it changes my mind over time.

Having absolutely no objectionable qualities and for it's smoothness, It gets 3 stars.

Updated 05/31/2009 Almost a year since I gave this baccy 3 stars and I have kept playing with it and it certainly changed my mind. This stuff has really grown on me and mellowed out my taste for it and has joined my cellar as one of my top smokes. I have to give it top billing (and order more).

RecitalGuitarist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RecitalGuitarist (3)

Brief introductory note: I smoked a pipe from when I started college (1974) until late 1985 when life issues forced me away from the pipe. I started smoking a pipe because a favorite uncle had smoked one. He had begun while stationed in England with the Army Air Corps during WWII. I don't know what he smoked in England, but he smoked Carter Hall while I was growing up. He would visit and I couldn't wait for him to fire up the pipe.

Well, when I started smoking, I gravitated immediately to what smelled good to a 17-year-old kid. Yup, the candy stuff like Borkum Riff Cherry (what bite!) and migrated through to Captain Black in its various blends and colors. I guess as a kid I thought Carter Hall, Prince Albert and all those 'old man' brands were for old men. Now that I are one, I wax nostalgic for things that were present in my youth. I love old cars, old motorcycles, old brands... Flash forward to now. A few years ago a friend of mine offered me a cigar and I was off and running once again. Of course, my wife hates the smell of any cigar, so to avoid freezing my keister off the North East US winter, I dug out my old pipe.

On my arrival at the local Cumberland Farms, I fixated on the Carter Hall packages -- unchanegd (appparently) since my Uncle's days. Had to try it. Figured it would be terrible, but the nostalgia thing -- you know?

Wow! Upon opening the 'luxury' pouch, nostalgia became reality. The pouch aroma was just what I remembered, and you know they say that smell is the strongest memory-trigger of them all. Alright, so armed with my pipe and the CH, I fumblingly loaded up and fired. Didn't know what to expect, but was pleasantly surprised by the delightful taste. I figured this might go away, but even puffing away like a steam engine, the taste stayed good almost to the bottom when it bittered up a bit. Of course, I didn't huff my next bowl and was rewarded with good flavor all the way to the bottom of the bowl. Even casual puffing will usually keep CH lit to the end, so this is a great all-day smoke -- I'm not littering everywhere with matches!

The flavor is, as often noted, straight-ahead tobacco, no fluff, no vanilla, no sweet garbage. I have continued to restock my CH and have not grown tired of it. Thinking about buying a tin to cut down on trips to the village.

Some bowls end with a gurgle, but I may not be cleaning as often as I should. CH hasn't caked up my bowl overly and I really can't find any major fault with it. If it remains consistent from pouch to pouch (or tin)I will call this tobacoo my offical 'house blend'.

Sure I will try other blends, but I am very much hooked on this burley tobacco. Price is right as well. I know it's all personal taste, but I can't imagine anyone finding serious fault here. Well worth a try!

March 15, 2012: Here it is a few years later. I have tried many other tobacco blends since, but I am still always stocked with Carter Hall. It just plain works and delivers just what I anticipate (in a good way) with every tub. Still loving the stuff.

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (78)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

While this is a typical "drug store" smoking mixture, it is perhaps one of the best. Introduced nationally in early 1957, it gained wide acceptance quickly. First and foremost, like many of the Middleton tobaccos, they have done a far better job at maintaining consistency than many of the other manufacturers for this type of pipe tobacco.

I am not a great fan of Burley tobaccos however, I do use them to build a cake and do cycle them in my regular rotation of matured Virginia plug tobaccos.

Room note is pleasant enough and I find I can smoke this in any pipe without any real worry of departing specific taste to the pipe. For a Burley it burns very clean and with the high sugar content it carbonizes well. I do tend to keep this tobacco moist which slows the burn rate down a notch or two.

It adapts well to any size pipe but I prefer a larger group 5 type bowl most often. Certainly cost is a factor and as many reviewers have noted this, it is a bargin. This is a higher quality Burley than most in this classification, and perhaps that is indeed the real bargin.

...a pipe is to be savored...

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)

First of all, there is an ingredient that helps the caking to be created easily in the bowl. It is a classic Drug Store type of tobacco. A strong and bright enough, Burley without any fruit flavor or other wrapping. You can smoke it pleasantly and dry till the end without any undesirable tonque bit of course. Although it starts very sweet, in the end it leaves a bitterness, which some smokers like and some others don?t. It doesn?t bother me. And in the end, I can add some town topic or Kapt?n Brammer?s Windrose DTM and I can make it a sweet all day aromatic tobacco. It burns quite fast. It has a very neutral smell in the air.

BriarFire~ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarFire~ (24)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I understand this has been around for a long time,and I can see why a lot of the hard working old timers liked it so much,you can smoke it all day and it wont bite or overdose you on nicotine,it burns cool enough to tamp with your finger and has some serious old school burley goodness.

I find it similar to Half and Half in many respects,it is topped with a lighter hand though and comes across as more natural.

Sure it's great to get dressed to the 9's and drive downtown and dine on steak and lobster with the wife at a four star place,but many times it's even better to have Mom's meatloaf and mashed potato's,who wants steak and lobster every day?

As always, the only way I can enjoy pipe tobacco is in a dedicated pipe only,this one being a vintage French made GBD squat rhodesian

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (81)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Along the lines of Half and Half. Similar in packaging, pouch aroma, cut, and to a large degree flavor. It does, however, show differences from HH, mainly in the topping. It's hard to describe, it's almost as if they are blends meant to compete for the exact same shelf.

Burns cool, lots of natural tobacco sweetness and pleasant room note.

scottf345 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scottf345 (10)

Carter hall burns and lights easily, isn't overly polluted with air fresheners or chemical candy, and you can puff away on it with little thought. Those reasons and that it's under 2 bucks a bag are in my opinion it's best attributes. After you get past the light fruity-floral topping your good to go with a simple smoke. I usually have a pouch hanging around in the work van for those times... The way I see it Carter Hall is so inexpensive and innocuous there really is no reason not to have some on hand.

XDipper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
XDipper (30)
Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

UPDATE: Ah, the memories, this stuff is what started the codger burley revolution for me. I would place this in the semi-aromatic burley category and must admit that it still does it better than most of its contemporaries. Very tasty and very smokable but given all the other burlies I have smoked since, I can't really give this one four stars. It's really good tobacco, just a little light in the hip pockets for me, a little too mild. But I really should recommend this tobacco for the unjaded especially the beginner. It's much more suitable than the typical over the top aromatics pursued my most newcomers. It really is a well done tobacco but is just too mild to fit into my rotation on a regular basis. Now kick it up a notch by mixing 1:1 with Prince Albert, then you got something to talk about. I must admit to not keeping this blend on hand at all times or even most but I can't imagine that I won't pick it up one day again when the mood strikes.

ORIGINAL REVIEW: Let's face it, everyone who has been a pipe smoker for more than a month has their fair share of horror stories about the so called drugstore blends. You know, Palladin Black Cherry so sweet that you and everyone within a five mile radius of you nearly tossed lunch or the infamous Blend 79 which (IMHO) is the rough equivalent of smoking the hair off a dead goat's backside. For these reasons, I was at first hesitant to try a drugstore blend but as I read the reviews of this blend last evening. It seemed to me after reading the reviews that it is truly one of those love it or hate it tobaccos. I talked myself into it as I have smoked predominately English blends for most of the last two months. So off I went in search of Carter Hall. It took a couple stops but I did find it available in tub as well as pouch form within 5 blocks of my house. Not knowing what the outcome would be, I opted for the pouch, with the option to later purchase a tub if the bacci was to my liking. My experience can be summarized by three words THIS STUFF ROCKS! A hint of fruitiness is almost overshadowed by the nutty taste of burley. Definitely not the most sophisticated blend I've ever smoked but truly one of the tastiest (at any price). Unlike most of its drugstore bretheren, it's not goopy, hot, or bitter (even at the bottom of the bowl),totally smooth, tasty and enjoyable. I'm so there for a tub on Friday. This will be a staple in my rotation and probably something I will always keep a little of on hand. Unbeatable tobacco for the price and convenience not to mention a remarkable value and smokability. Thanks so much for convincing me to suspend disbelief and give this drugstore blend a try. For my next trick, I mix it 50/50 with Prince Albert. Stand by for an update

Pipemanuk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipemanuk (76)

Of all the basic Burley blends, this is my favourite. Soft, creamy sweet smoke, it doesn't bite and its perfect to sit there while I bash away at the PC.

Like many others, I save my VA's for the evening when I can give them the dedication they deserve....this is a straightforward, very pleasant gentle all day tobacco. Having said that of course, its not available (as far as I am aware) in the UK and the nearest equivalent is Clan. Give me this anyday though and I'm a happy guy. Perfect in a cob though I wish I could buy cobs with a more resistant mouthpiece; I am always biting through the darn things!

In favour of tobacco

Much victuals serves for gluttony; to fatten men like swine; but he's a frugal man indeed that with a leaf can dine. And needs no napkin for his hands, his fingers' ends to wipe, but keeps his kitchen in a box, and roast meat in a pipe.

Samuel Rowlands 1611

Frosty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Frosty (37)
Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Well, I love Burley, so I love this. It has a very sweet, fruity, boozy pouch aroma. I have smoked this blend on and off for some years. Once, Mrs Frosty and I were at a bar when a very old gentleman came in and ordered a beer, got out his pipe and a pouch of Carter hall. Upon lighting his pipe, a very wonderful aroma filled the air, and I turned to my wife and exclaimed that it smells as great as it tastes! I can never really sense the room note of a tobacco when I smoke it, so this was a real eye opener for me. It tastes quite like a fine cigar to me, as has already been noted, and given the price of premium cigars this is my go-to blend when I am in the mood for a cigar. The 14 oz tub must hold hundreds of pipe fills, so it is almost free when one considers how many smokes one gets for the money. I hope it ages well, for I will be stocking up on tubs of this against the Black Day when the anti's finally declare victory. Aww, heck, I am going to have to give this another of my many 4 star ratings! I might have to change my reviewer moniker from Frosty to "Old 4 Star"! Try it, if you like Burleys, you have a cheap, excellent smoke with a wonderful room note.

Magnum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Magnum (3)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

Un commento in Italiano per Italiani. Ho comprato una confezione di Carter Hall durante un mio viaggio negli states. Non ho parole. Buono, buono, buono, e potrei andare avanti per ore. All'apertura della confezione si viene inondati da un profumo di rum che appaga le narici ancor prima del gusto. Profumo delicato, aroma forte e dolce al tempo stesso. Non ho mai fumato nulla di simile nei miei 32 anni di pipa. Carter Hall ha cancellato 30 anni della mia storia di fumo di pipa. Caricamento facile, accensione quasi spontanea, si fuma da solo, nel senso che basta niente per tenerlo acceso. Fumata appagante tanto che diventa difficile dopo aver fumato una pipata non prendere una altra pipa e fumarne un'altra pipata. Sono ormai alla fine della confezione da 14 once e sto già elemosinando in giro tra quelli che andranno negli states di portarmene una altra confezione. Il fumo uccide ma, per dio, Carter Hall ti aiuta a vivere. Votazione: == + == + ** e potrei continuare fino a domani mattina. Saluti

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (76)

Lately I have taken an oddysey into some of the oldtime burley blends. I'm not sure if my tastes are changing, or perhaps I've become overly nostalgic in my older age. Economics don't really enter into into the picture so much as convenience and comfort. The older and busier I get, the more I appreciate a low maintenance, easy smoke.

This one is a good all-day smoke....no drama...no changing flavors or intricacies to worry about,,,just good plain tobacco flavor. So more and more, I find myself reaching for this during the day, while saving some of my more complex virginia blends for the eveniong when I have time to concentrate and appreciate them more. Every tobacco has it's place and for daily comsumption this is a calming, flavorful blend. I think my next stop is to update my review of PA and beg some forgiveness.

Mike1614 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike1614 (5)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

Like many of you, I picked up a pouch of Carter Hall purely for nostalgic reasons. It does come nicely packaged with a soft foil pouch. Here in Florida, finding the old drugstore standbys isn?t as easy as it used to be. I went to 5 stores before I found it. Walgreen's has one pipe tobacco- Capt. Black. I guess that says something about pipe smoking in general- it's definitely not as popular as it was in the 70?s when I started smoking Borkum Riff Cherry (ugh) out of a corncob pipe (not recommended). I agree Carter Hall is the better of the drugstore blends, as it seems to be straight-up tobacco, with little casing added. But like its brother Prince Albert, this tobacco seems to lean towards being cigarette tobacco. I've seen many guys use Prince Albert as a rolling tobacco. The appearance and aroma of this blend is agreeable- it?s moist and clean. I really wanted to like this no frills blend- I wasn?t expecting a whole lot- but it tastes bland, and one dimensional. The taste is reminiscent of a cigar, and the room note is cigarette-like. Having said that, I'm sure I would have liked my other old blends even less, but I?m not brave enough to even try those. In summation, if you're looking for something to smoke from the drugstore or supermarket, this one is probably the best of the lot, along with Prince Albert and Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic- good luck finding that one. UPDATE 4-1-08: Ive smoked several more bowls of Carter Hall, and Prince Albert too. I find these 2 similar blends to be pleasant enough. They have a simple tobacco flavor that I'm starting to enjoy more. I suspect this is the type tobacco they make cigarettes with as it smells like cigarette tobacco in the pouch. I find CH and PA a pleasant change of pace when I'm not in the mood for a strong or flavored tobacco.

Classical Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Classical (13)

My first taste of this venerable American pipe smoking staple was while I was stuck waiting for an hour with only one match, one cobb and no tamper. So, I stuffed the cob with the tobacco from the newly opened tub, smashed it in with my finger and lit with my one match. The results? Pretty darned amazing!

It burned down to the bottom, with no real tamping and little effort from me, aside from my happy puffing. Even with my fairly rapid puffing, there was no bite. I enjoyed a mild, enjoyable and refreshing smoke and the wait went by happily.

I'm going to enjoy breaking in some new briars with this tub and also giving my cobbs a real friend in Carter Hall.

Accompaniment: Aaron Copland's Rodeo.

Rimshot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rimshot (11)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my favorite burley so far. It's good all the time, but best when smoked lightly to bring out the sweetness and nuttiness. And at this point it's almost cheaper by volume than gasoline. What's not to love?

UPDATE: I've actually come to prefer the fuller nuttiness of Prince Albert to the sweeter taste of Cater Hall. The taste isn't strong enough for me anymore. It's kind of strange, these two classic American tobaccos reversed places in my list of preferred tobacco. It's a good smoke, and I don't mind it; but from here on out I'll be buying the Prince instead. Minus one star.

Illinois Hick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Illinois Hick (6)
Mild None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Carter Hall is a great blend for burley lovers. It produces a smooth, creamy smoke. The flavor is pretty consistent throughout the bowl, and is slightly (but naturally) sweet with a little nuttiness. Carter Hall is very tolerant of aggressive smoking. While one only gets the full, burley-goodness by smoking cool, smoking hot rarely- if ever- bites the tongue. This is an easy blend to smoke to the bottom, and is GREAT in a cob.

If I were adjusting based on price, CH would get 4 stars. Since I believe in judging all blends on the same scale, it gets a well earned three stars, not accounting for its value.

Benton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Benton (13)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I smoke about 4 or 5 bowls of Carter Hall per week because it is the most reliable tobacco I can find at any price. Some other blends, even well respected ones, require careful packing and lighting in well broken-in pipes to give reasonable pleasure, but not Carter Hall. I dip a smallish basket pipe in the jar, fill to overflowing, and gently pack down to fill 7/8 of the bowl. Then I scoop again to over fill the pipe and pack down to 1/16" below the rim. One light is enough, but I always use two partly because the freshly lit aroma is so nice. Between the first and second light I like to set the pipe down and enjoy the room note for a minute or two.

A lot of people have noted that CH has a light fruity topping, but some of the guesses were perplexing to me (chocolate, orange liqueur . . . what on earth are you talking about?). I think that the pouch aroma is similar to a dried fruit like figs, dates, or raisins. Sometimes the pouch aroma shows up in the flavor long into the smoke, especially after exhaling through the nose. I only get this effect when smoking CH slow and cool, which is sometimes hard to do because it burns so well. When it is smoking cool, my pipe goes out after about 30 minutes, then every 10 minutes until the bottom of the bowl.

The flavor is mostly sweet and burleyish as long as the bowl doesn't get too hot. Not complex but very pleasant. CH is easy to keep burning and handles nicely as long as it isn't packed too tight. When it is packed tight and/or burning hot I taste something like beeswax, which is very good considering what most inexpensive blends taste like under similar conditions. Near the bottom of the bowl the sweetness disapears, but the fig aroma lingers in the nose. The usual burley bitterness shows up, but some like bitter flavors like dark chocolate or hoppy beer, I'm one of those people so the bitterness isn't offputing.

Like most tobaccos, CH smokes wet in a incompletely caked pipe. The strange thing is that the pipecleaners come out smelling sweet like the pouch aroma rather than rank and foul. The pipe that I smoke only CH in smells better than my other briars when it is not lit. In a broken-in pipe, CH burns down evenly to a flat 1/16" thick dottle for me. There isn't much nicotine kick here and little to no bite.

Unless you are a burleyphobe, there is no reason why you shouldn't try Carter Hall.

htduck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
htduck (23)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I tried Carter Hall because I found PA to be so fulfilling as a pleasant day's puff, and because another reviewer spoke about his 90+ year old pipe smoking mentor keeping a tub of CH as his main puff vegetable. Carter Hall is good. It's no high dollar tin of tobacco that keeps your tobacconist's shop in business, it's a puff that tastes like tobacco, smokes like tobacco and gives you the warm and fuzzy feeling that tobacco is grown to give. I love the Prince and I suppose he must live in Carter Hall because while they are in ways different, they deliver the same message, i.e. this is simple tobacco that satisfies. For now I can afford any tobacco I want when I want it, but one day I will get my priorities correct and the Carter Hall's of the tobacco world will satisfy my puffing just as well as any tobacco to be had. I guess I need to arrange a meeting with Sir Walter now.

Magus Noctem Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Magus Noctem (6)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

If one were to compare this inexpensive drug and convenience store blend to top-dollar brands found in a finer tobbacco shop, it would obviously not fare well in such company. With this in mind, Carter Hall has to be rated in a "take it for what it is" frame of mind, and Carter Hall is a medium-quality, all day smoke for very little money. However, when rated against other tobaccos within that category, Carter Hall moves to the head of the line. It is the Dunhill or McClelland of cheaper tobaccos.

In my experience, it lights effortlessly with no need for relighting and has a fairly consistent flavor throughout the bowl unless puffed aggressively. Tongue bite is not a problem unless, again, smoked too quickly and impatiently. I have found that by smoking it in a smaller bowl, like my little Yello-Bole pug, I can puff it fairly quickly and get no bite at all. I venture that a larger bowl would produce a bitter, hot, and therefore unpleasant smoking experience, but I don't experiment when I have a good thing going. If it ain't broke...

I spent today outside watching my little boy play with his new Christmas toys and smoked several bowls. When he's yelling at me to "watch this" or "come push me on the swing," it's impossible to just sit and smoke a truly fine (and costlier) blend with contemplative enjoyment. This is where a blend like Carter Hall is ideal. I intend to smoke it mowing the lawn, cooking pork chops on the grill, or any other time I want a smoke but don't have the proper time to savor a "four-star" blend.

That being said, Carter Hall, being a "take it for what it is" tobacco, gets four stars from me for that reason, as well as its sublime qualities, especially when compared to its lousy drugstore peers. You could do far, far worse.

Davetopay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davetopay (42)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I picked this up on a whim at the local grocery store and have been pleasantly surprised. The $1.89 price for the pouch makes it a real bargain. I wasn't expecting much from this light fluffy blend that is entirely fluffy processed burley. It doesn't feel all waxy or goopy with a bunch of flavoring agents and packs cleanly. The light is easy and hasn't needed a relight. Any flavor that comes from the slight apricot aroma you get when first opened is so faint that it doesn't intrude on some basic but solid tobacco flavors. It smoked a bit wet and happened to gurgle profusely in my old WDC Navajo, but that could very well be a result of the cold and misty weather over the last few days. This might just end up being a regular.

...or not....Since that first review in November of 2006 or 7, can't remember, I haven't bothered to seek it out since it is no longer on the shelf at the local grocer.

pipinNfishin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipinNfishin (21)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I am very impressed with Carter Hall. I lifted my nose on all drugstore type tobaccos. Generally, they have not impressed me. But I tried Carter Hall for two weeks on recommendations and the fact that many who have years of smoking experience recommend and continue to smoke this blend. Carter Hall is a very good blend for all day smoking.

Carter Hall smokes cool the heat does not reach my tongue. It can turn bitter, if smoked too hot. The smoke does not bite my tongue. The flavoring it very mild. I have smoked many high tinned english blends with more casing than Carter Hall. I am always worred, when a blend is cased or flavored with a compound that is precursor to a drug with pharmico-physiological effects. Not here, Carter seems to be just PPG and some flavoring.

I smoke Carter Hall all day long. At the end of the day, I have no tongue bite and no nicotine hangover. I have 14oz tub of this and I on my way to buy a few more.

Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

The first tobacco I ever tried, and I still smoke it from time to time.

My dad smoked this, sometimes mixing it with Middleton's Cherry.

It is a very mild, inexpensive,burley/bright mixture with a slight prune/ plum top-flavor. I find it to be good for the summer in Florida.

It is one of the few non- aromatic blends available in stores where I live.

Like most Middleton blends, a pleasant and unassuming smoke, at a very affordable price.

Alouette Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alouette (7)
Extremely Mild Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I spent the fall testing out burley-based drugstore blends, partly because we don?t have this burley focus up here in Canada and partly because any decent wine cellar needs to be rounded out with everyday housewines. I have yet to find the tobacco equivalent of simple table wine, but Carter Hall comes close. Mostly my search has taught me that there must be something in classic American pipe tobacco that I?m missing. I don?t understand why so many people like Prince Albert, which is just as likely to be nutty and tasty as it is to be acrid and ashy. Edgeworth RR might do in a pinch, but why would you ever let yourself run so low that you had to smoke it? And Half and Half? Are you folks crazy? I?d rather smoke cardboard. But Carter Hall is actually, well quite good. It smells like decent tobacco in the bag, unlike a lot of tobaccos in this class, which smell somehow industrial. It packs like a dream and is easy to light and smoke all the way down without any fuss at all. In a work culture that allows only a five minute smoke, cigarette smokers often get their satisfaction before I?ve even got the pipe packed and working properly. Carter Hall provides instant gratification in this instance and has the added benefit that it is mild enough to inhale now and again without ripping out your throat. Finally, it works great for blending with other tobaccos. I don?t smoke it much on its own, but I do use it to lighten up favorite blends to provide more flavourful all-day smokes. Lately I?ve been breaking up 8 oz. bags of Stonehaven in a coffee grinder and mixing it with 2 oz of Carter Hall. You get all the magnificent flavour of the Stonehaven, with the superlative burning qualities of Carter Hall. I?ll continue looking for a mild blending tobacco that has purer flavour, but until I find it, Carter Hall will do just fine.

churchwarden398 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
churchwarden398 (18)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

If you are looking for a good smoke and are for some reason confined to buying drug store tobaccos, here is a good pick. That is, even if you are not a burleyphile. It smokes cool, has a nice flavor and a pleasant aroma. You would not be hard-pressed to do worse as you are shoving your buggy down the tobacco aisle or nowadays trying to gleen your way to a good smoke from the at times impenetrable cavern of space known as the tobacco center in grocery stores, drug stores or your local branch of The Walton's family empire. This blend lights well, packs easily and provides a decent and tasty smoke.

Mikey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mikey (3)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I have smoked most of the DS tobaccos over the years but I never tried CH. I am a burley smoker and my favorite regular DS tobacco was Holiday, very hard to find now. I don't think Lane is blending it anymore. In my search for a great daily smoke I bought a tub of CH. To my taste it is the best when compared to other burley blends in this class. It burns very well and builds a nice cake and has great burley taste. I live in Mexico, a country where you can still smoke in resturants and night clubs. I have gotten compliments on the room note. For me, this will be my regular go to blend.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

The rating of highly recommended is only because I am judging it from its peers. Of all the drug store tobaccos this is the best. Its a no nonsense burly that will not foul up a pipe or make you chew gum all day to get the taste out. The burly is light with some nutty and sweet overtones. It packs easily and lights as good as any tobacco I have tried. The only complaint that I have is that like all drugstore tobacco's it si very wet and somewhat one dimensional.

ABSSiegel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ABSSiegel (21)

I just finished a bowl in a trusty corn cobb. The tobacco had been stored in its opened (but closed) foil pack for two years and tasted as fresh as the day the seal was broken open. Although this is a drug store brand, and not part of my regular rotation, it was burley nutty. There was NO bite at all. I enjoyed the past hour (am I just especially mellow on this beautiful early summer day), and will return to this brand. This time, I will not wait two more years!

Matches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Matches (19)
Medium Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I tried many of the burley tobaccos and Carter Hall has become a regular for me. As others have mentioned, it's easy to understand why this has remained popular.

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (73)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

OK, I finally tried Carter Hall.

I've tried most everything else in this range of tobacco and without hesitation, this is the only one I'd choose to buy again. In fact, I buy it regularly and smoke it regularly. Carter Hall is good tobacco.

There are no frills here. Carter Hall smokes well, doesn't get bitter and doesn't bite. I can see why it's still around. Consistent and without a doubt, a "smokers" tobacco.

Recommended as a great burley blend, with enough flavor and "oomph" to satisfy. This is one that you can smoke all day. A staple in my tobacco cellar.

gnossos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gnossos (39)

A great burley. Delicious, light, pleasing in any situation. If this were the only blend available I would still smoke a pipe. Could potentially beat out PA in the #1 OTC / hands down mild burley department. Though Edgeworth is about as good as it gets as far as OTC goes if you want a kick.

Flintlock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flintlock (14)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

I decided to try Carter Hall based upon Pipestud's reccomendation. I was glad I did. This is a very OK tobak as far as drug store blends go. When I travel between the backwoods of Tennessee to the backwoods of Arkansas and I am out of tobak, I can trust this to get me through. It is not quite as good as Butternut Burley, but it does come close enough when I am in a pinch. Good a corn cob or a Savinelli and does not leave dottle and burns to a nice greyish white ash.

I did note too that it, for some reason, clings to the walls of the bowl. Being a somewhat neutral tobak, I think I will use it to break in my new GBD.

I smoked it yesterday when I was out shooting my flintlock. (Of course one has to be mighty careful smoking around black powder!) As I said before, it seems to fit in with a corn cob. Maybe OK in a clay pipe too.

Not a wife pleaser however, which is the only reason I give it two stars.

woodsman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
woodsman (4)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I have a terrible cold as I write this and I decided to smoke Carter Hall. Previously I always found this tin too mild, however, now that I can hardly breath this tastes like 965 when I'm well. Right now this is the best part of my day. If I did'nt have this tobacco on hand I would have had to go smokeless this evening. I guess there is a tobacco for every situation. I actually think CH is helping me breath better!

kempoka Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kempoka (8)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Read the reviews here, thought I'd try a pouch. Inexpensive, just the right cut and moisture level. Smelled good in the pouch, just good, ol' burley, like I used to get back home in East Tennessee.

OK, let's see..... lights well, without a lot of relights... tamp and rest, and just a good, tasty burley flavor, not the syrupy casing you see in many DS blends. Interesting nutty flavor. Neutral room note: neither "warm fuzzy" nor offensive. Inexpensive, comfy and plainly tasty. If you like burley, you'll like this one. Me, I might blend with some black cav to richen it up a bit. Still, a good, simple, tasty burley. I'll definitely buy it again!

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a classic drugstore burley blend. In fact, it's a classic pipe tobacco no matter how one classifies it!

Carter Hall has been around for quite awhile. Composed primarily of burley with a noticeable amount of bright Va. and a mild topping that reminds me of plums or raisins. It's inexpensive, it tastes good, it's room note is inoffensive, and it's damn near impossible to make it bite.

I probably smoke two or three times as much CH as I do any other tobacco, although I have a respectable "cellar" (closet, actually) full of more expensive blends. It's definitely not the kind of tobacco you want in more contemplative moments (subtlety is not its strong point) but I'm not sure it can be beat as an easily available and affordable "all day" smoke. It also excels as both a blending agent and as a perfect tobacco to use while breaking in new pipes.

It doesn't have the richness of flavor I normally associate with VAs, VA/PERs and latakia-based blends, but I'm not sure you can do better for $1.50 a pouch (and, in my experience, you can do a LOT worse for $5 an ounce).

Also, if you like American English blends like Morley's Best, Gatlin-Burley or Revelation, you can make a blend that puts all other examples of this genre to shame by simply mixing, say, 4 parts Carter Hall to 1 part latakia and letting them meld for a month. If I had discovered this mixture years ago, I would have saved hundreds of dollars searching for that "perfect" American English.

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)
Mild Very Mild Mild Tolerable

I've been smoking this stuff off and on in cobs, and managed to overlook reviewing it. I remember this being around even when I was a kid, and have tried it off and on over the years when ever I have tried to pick up pipe smoking, and make it stick.

Carter Hall is just what everyone else here says; inexpensive, readily available, fairly tasty, and very mild. That being said, is this enough reason to go out and buy it given the availability of many fine burley blends today? Let's see.

A tin of MacBaren's Burley London runs about $12 for 3.5 oz. That same amount of money will buy about 12 oz. of Carter Hall. And I found the MacB's to be only slightly more full flavored, but with a hell of a lot more bite than CH. Though CH is dericively referred to as a "drugstore blend", that doesn't mean you shouldn't smoke it. Remember, years ago drugstores were like the wal-marts of rural America; they carried everything, and were the only places to get any kind of pipe tobacco. And, Carter Hall has been around a long, long time.

I find that I do like this blend; it's cool to the palate, only slightly sweet, and doesn't bite. However, I do not smoke it in briars because it does have a tendency to burn a little fast if you're not careful, and can get hot in the pipe (but still with no tongue bite). I also would relegate this to an outdoors smoke; not because the aroma is offensive, but because it just smells like something you know is going to leave a stale room aroma over time. But hell, for puttering in the yard, or taking a walk, it's just fine.

Carter Hall is not a fine tobacco blend. It is an unassuming, unpretentious blend for those who aren't necessarily looking for a lot of distractions with their smoke. There is absolutely nothing to not like about it, but not a lot you can say stands out about it either. As long as you're not worried about your local pipe circle labelling you as "common" for smoking so pedestrian a blend, it's worth a try. I love GL Pease blends, Petersons, and Orlik Dark Kentucky Flake (a much stronger version of what CH aspires to be). But, I don't mind being seen with a "drugstore" tobacco, and I am okay with saying that I like Carter Hall plenty enough to buy a pouch every few months or so.

Relapse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Relapse (14)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

From time to time I find myself needing to give my taste buds a rest from the rather strong English/Balkan blends I regularly smoke. When that happens, Carter Hall is a perfect medium.

Never minding the derogatory "drugstore blend" moniker and the liters of PG it is drenched on, Carter Hall is just fine All American Burley, mild tasting, cool and stubborn burning and it burns all the way down to the pipe heel even in the worst plumbed pieces. What's not to like about it?

I don't eat fried chicken daily, but once every few weeks I truly enjoy it. Same with Carter Hall. After all, you cannot go eating Beluga Caviar daily, or can you? :-)

A solid three star.

A. Morley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A. Morley (73)

Carter Hall will always be a pleasure to smoke. There comes a time wherein all of the disputatiousness of connoisseurship begins to wear on one and you just want to sit back and have a pipe and forget about all of that for a while. To this end, good Old Carter Hall is perfect.

This may initially seem like a clone of the sainted Prince Albert from the same company, but there are subtle and delightful differences. The cut is even shorter than that of Prince Albert, making for the easiest pipe charging in all of pipedom. It lights and stays lit like a dream. There is also added some sort of mild top dressing that serves to bring about more of a woodsy flavor in the Burley than is found in many other Drugstore Burley blends.

I think of my Granddad, the stony faced road crew boss recognized throughout the state of Oregon for his constant supply of one liners and his beat up, disgusting Grabow always clenched in the centre of his teeth. In the evenings I would sit on his knee and he would give me his package of Carter Hall to look at and tell me funny stories about the people that lived in that big red house. I shall always find a home in Carter Hall.

Regards,

A. Morley Jaques

caddad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
caddad (53)

Last summer I spent some time smoking several of these drug store blends and I found Carter Hall to be a very good smoke. It?s just good old simple burley flavor no frills. It is consistent with Prince Albert and the like and I?m sure this summer when I need a change of pace, I?ll drop in Osco or Wallgreens on the way home from work and taste again for the drive home the way it used to be.

maynard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
maynard (18)
Extremely Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I smoked this in a cob, trout fishing on Tellico, I like it, so simple, never tried in a brair, simple is good sometimes.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Well, it?s pretty much been said: Carter Hall is an inexpensive, prosaic drug store burley ?fishin? tobacco? that is mild, one-dimensional, with excellent burning qualities that provides a cool smoke, tastes OK and is ideal for breaking in new pipes. In summary, I like this stuff.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this tobacco 8.4 out of 10.

Collezionista Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Collezionista (59)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I agree with those who place Carter Hall at the top of "drug store" heap. While it still has the cloying humecant taste (ala Half & Half or Prince Albert) lurking around , it is a pleasant smoke on the right occasion. When I feel like a simple and decent-tasting old fashioned American-style Burley, I tend to reach for this stuff. Sometimes, as good a diet as one may have, you just get a hankering for "fast food", you know what I mean?

nikosthegreekos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nikosthegreekos (2)

I think this is one of the best of the so called "drug store" brands. Just the right moisture in the can or pouch. The texture is such that it could probably be used as a cigarette tobacco for the those who like to roll their own. I might try that sometime. I like the fact that it lights on the first match and stays lit throughout the whole bowl. Smokes cool without bite. Satisfies my need for nicotine. Great for breaking in that new pipe. As far as room note goes, doesn't seem to offend anyone. Give it a try.

J. Bryan Shoup Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J. Bryan Shoup (5)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Carter Hall - besides being the sobriquet of comic book superhero Hawkman - is a basic burley that provides a nice break from stronger tobaccos or deliberately-flavored blends (depending on your preference).

"Nutty" is an adjective I hear applied to burleys in general, and while Carter Hall certainly tastes like the burley it is, it's less "nutty" than, say Prince Albert, and has a taste I would rather call earthy than bitter.

As others have noted, it's splendid in its burning - I doubt I have ever had to relight a bowl of Carter Hall. The roomnote is inoffensive to others and I haven't had a problem with tongue bite.

It's not the finest smoke and certainly not the first blend I reach for on an average evening, but it's worthwhile in its own way.

Dougster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dougster (31)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is an OK tobacco. Its a rather mild burley blend with a somewhat nutty flavor as one would expect. There seems to possibly be some kind of topping, although I'm not entirely sure, and it is pretty light whatever it is, if in fact there is any.

This stuff is a bit too mild for me, and I prefer its competitor Prince Albert slightly over this, although either would do in a pinch if I was out of tobacco and could only find these blends.

Carter Hall seems to me to be an honestly good smoke. It definately isn't disagreeable, but its not particularly outstanding either. Bite factor is about zero with this, so you can puff like an infernal smokestack with impunity with this blend.

I have found that this stuff works well as a blending ingredient more than anything else. A bit of this added to a straight virginia will impart some nutty flavors and cool down the virginia somewhat. If you have a really bitey virginia that is giving you problems, try adding some of this or the prince to it to modify its smoking characteristics.

This tobacco isn't bad, and its allright to have some around in case you are in the mood for some easy puffing. Its a nice blending ingredient for modifying stronger tobaccos. For a couple bucks a pouch, I buy this once in a while if the spirit moves me.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

For a long time, Prince Albert was my favorite maintenance blend for breaking in new pipes and smoking when busy doing stuff outside or around the house. Carter Hall was always my second choice because I preferred the flavor of PA more, but CH burned slower and seemed smoother. It packs easy, lights easy and burns clean all the way to the bottom of the bowl. Like PA, Carter Hall is a simple no frills burley with a very consistant flavor.

So, it seemed like a no brainer to mix them together. For sometime now, I have mixed Carter Hall and Prince Albert together in equal portions and thouroughly enjoy it. It makes a wonderful, simple, no frills all burley blend thats a great all day smoke. It burns so even and clean that there is virtually no pipe maintenance other than using the occasional pipe cleaner.

First of all I am tired of seeing manure references to various tobaccos. I would challenge any reviewer to try a pipefull of any tobacco vs. smoking various types of manures or other overused comparisons to bodily excretions. Carter Hall tobacco: A very tasty mild Burley tobacco. Make sure you put the pipe down when it gets too hot. I don't smoke this to the bottom as it gets a little bitter.

tobaccoman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tobaccoman (19)

Ive been smoking a few "DS" brands lately and CH was one of the first. I too think this weighs in at the top of the heap for this style of blend. The ash burned right to the bottom with little effort in a variety of pipes. I have smoked about half of the pouch and will most likely pick up a can of this when I get a chance.

Poorfornow Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Poorfornow (2)

Nuttin' but Burley. Easy to pack and light. I rated this "smoke this on occasion", because this is exactly what I do. I use Carter Hall to build a cake in new or cleaned pipes. I guess you could say that it is my "maintenance tobacco". Nothing special about the blend, just a healthy smoke. You do get marvelous clouds of white smoke out of this blend. CH remains lit whether you smoke fast or slow. Fast will get you some tongue bite. I keep a large tub of Carter Hall around all of the time; it isn't fancy, but it can fix lingering tastes from trial runs of other tobacco in my favorite pipes. I also use CH in a Falcon for bass fishing at night. You don't really care if either the pipe or the tobacco is lost overboard. I would have to rate this 3 out of 4 stars. It really is my workhorse choice.

Kerdy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kerdy (43)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This is a nice all day smoke and great for beginners. I will smoke all of what I have, but will probably not get anymore anytime soon. It has hardly any taste, but what it does have is a nice, slightly sweet, tobacco flavor. Hardly any tongue bit at all. You really have to get this one going to get it to sting. Lots of compliments on the aroma. Started a long converstation on pipes. Not a bad tobacco, but not complicated in any way. Just a decent smoke that I wouldn't hesitate to get if nothing else was available. Smokes the pants off other OTC brands. Burns clean and a good cake builder.

UPDATE: I have been told that this smells like cigars. I noticed it too, but always thought iw was someone elses cigar I was smelling. I keep it around to build cake in a pipe. Doesnt take long at all to do that with this blend. Decent, reliable, cheep. Nothing fancy, but sometimes, you just dont want fancy.

This has a nice pouch aroma, reminding me of mown hay and morning dew in the Southern states. The aroma is present during smoking, but, thankfully, does not linger in the pipe. This is a Burley blend, but with a vaguely 'cigar-like' overtone that I found very pleasant. The cut is short, almost cubed, and as a result, it packs well in any pipe. A corncob seems to make this blend take on a strange, almost fruit and nuts quality, and I prefer it in a briar. Definately the best $1.50 pouch of tobacco I have smoked.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Very Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Carter Hall was my first foray into the realm of tobacco that tastes like tobacco.

The burley is a fine cut, and packs very easily. It lights well, and has a semi-sweet almost nutty taste with maybe a hint of fruit. At times, it does taste a bit like a very mild cigar. A very cool smoke. Never a hint of bite.

It burned well right to the bottom of the bowl. Taste stayed about the same throughout, with a hint of burley-bitter at the end.

This is a nice change of pace from either heavily cased aromatics, or from English blends. I like to keep a sealed pouch around so when I get the urge for some, it's right there. It's also very inexpensive. Since it doesn't permeate the pipe, I use it sometimes to help get rid of the taste left behind by something I didn't like.

Good stuff - try some.

scootpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scootpipe (9)

I would not say that this is a smoke I have daily but almost. It is a wonderful inexpensive (but not "cheap") tobacco. It seems to be naturally flavored. I love the nuttyness flavor with the very slight sour touch. The aroma is pleasant to other as well. The first time I ever saw anyone actually smoking this was during the late summer/early fall while we played a round of golf. He smoke it during all 18 holes - non stop. Since then I have enjoyed it mainly during the colder months. But I guess it would also make a great all day summer smoke as well. I guess I'll have to wait several months to find out.

Everyone should try this stuff. It's inexpensive and very tasty. And best of all it come in an attractive "luxury pouch" as John Middleton, Inc calls it. If your a tobacco snobb just put it in one of your dunhill tins.

BostonPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BostonPipe (83)

I found myself the other day half-way to work when I realized that I had forgotten to pick up my tobacco pouch when I left the house.

Rather than turn around and be late for work, I stopped at a drugstore on the way and picked-up a package of this blend. (It was either this blend or a nice sticky, gummy, pack of Captain Black.

I chose well. While not a great blend, it was more than tolerable. As a matter-of-fact it was a rather pleasant and a nice change of pace for this usual Peretti's English Smoker.

Smooth, light, with an nutty flavor, and an ever so slight sour note, it was well, kinda nice!

It reminded me of several burley blends that I had begun my pipe smoking days with.

Packing is easy, and the burn is even all the way down the bowl. This tobacco burns clean and leaves a fine white-grey ash.

Not Bad at all.

smokey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey (120)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

this review is being written mostly from memory; it's been quite a while since my last bowl of carter hall. many other burley blends have surpassed this one on my ratings scale. that said, i must also admit that a lot of carter hall graced my bowls twenty or so years ago. most of it was purchased in bulk cans, and smoked while pursuing the elusive lunker largemouth bass. a lot of pipesmokers diss tobacs like this as "drug store" blends, a label that i don't think is completely fair. there are a lot more folks smoking such blends than something like penzance or haddo's delight (and i love both of those myself). without carter hall, prince albert, half and half, and many others, many of us would never have been introduced to the pleasures of pipe and pouch. i still occasionally buy a pouch when i forget to bring one of my more favored blends along. there's nothing fancy about carter hall, just a ribbon cut burley that smokes best with a bit of moisture content and a good slow puffing technique. much of the bad rep these tobacs get is from novices who don't take care to keep their tobacco from drying out and puff furiously because they haven't learned the proper packing, lighting, and smoking methods. carter hall is no longer in my rotation because there are many superior products out there, but that doesn't mean it's a bad blend, just one aimed at a more economically challenged audience. and it still beats the hell out of smoking those nasty cigarettes!

Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Strong

Not to bad for a drug store burley, but not near as good as velvet. It would do in a pinch, but I probably won't finish this pouch. It knocks the sock off of half-n-half.

omegapd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
omegapd (81)

A crimp cut mixture of Burleys and a touch of VA Bright flake. I've always thought there might be a little topping present, but it could be like Granger and the aroma is from a processing technique. It fills the pipe well and lights on the first go. For me, it has a slight sour taste that mixes well with a nutty taste. I like the stuff for an OTC. A corncob is the pipe of choice for me with this blend. Not bad, but I did get bit a little using this as an all day smoke (6-7 bowls per day).

WNDE Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WNDE (69)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Another in a long line of plain, burley, drug store brand tobaccos. It has a very mild but pleasant pouch aroma and smokes same. It has a slightly nutty flavor and burned very well, no bite at all. There's really not much to say about this classic. A good, plain, and cheap brand. You could do better than this but you could do worse also.

Greenleaf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Greenleaf (7)

Has a nutty, cigar-like flavor. A fair smoke for those times when you don't give a damn about "savoring." A good corncob smoke that will last through the day with minimal bite. While you may not like Carter Hall, its neutrality of flavor will ensure that you won't abhor it. The stuff is also cheap and good for inhaling.

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

An old brand that is probally the queen of all drug store types. I have to agree with pipestud, it is excellent for breaking in a new pipe. The CH is burley with a little flovoring added. It burns extremely cool. It has a soft burley taste and is not sticky sweet. The smoke is satisfying and relaxed.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Carter Hall is an ordinary, all-day Burley that doesn't bite (much) nor turn (too) sour at the end of the bowl, so it has legs that a tobacco like Prince Albert doesn't. It is quite mild to the the taste, verging on flavorless, with a sweet, nutty undertaste that reminds some of a mild cigar. I bought a two-ounce foil packet at my corner grocery for just over two bucks and got a coupon saving me $0.40 on the next purchase. In the big can, ordered online, you might be able to get this stuff for close to a buck an ounce. As a summer smoke, I find it OK. Lord knows what you'd do with this stuff in the winter--maybe stick it under the pickup seat until next June?