In the New Orleans Mardi Gras tradition, no confection is quite as synonymous with the season as the colorful King Cake. Beginning on Epiphany, January 6, the streets explode with parties and festivals, bringing together family and friends in the spirit of Mardi Gras. With that very same intent, Cornell & Diehl created this Cellar Series blend to honor the New Orleans staple. Experience Mardi Gras like never before with King Cake.

Estimated peak: 10-15 years.

Notes: First introduced in July, 2016.

Blended ByJeremy Reeves
Taste
Very Pleasant, Pleasant
3.2
JimInks (2040)

The dark and lighter Virginias offer some citrus, mildly tangy dark fruit with some grass and a little earth with a small spice hit. They form the base of the blend, and sport a slight fermentation. The woody, dry, smoky, lightly buttery sweet Izmir plays a strong second lead. The unsweetened black cavendish adds a little brown sugar in the background for some smoothness. The raisiny, figgy, plumy perique is lightly more noticeable than the black cavendish. The hazelnut topping is mild, and is less prevalent than the plum and sweet rum. The aroma of the hazelnut when you open the tin is stronger than it is in the smoking experience. The toppings do tone down the tobaccos just a little, and hold on to the finish.The nic-hit is mild to medium. The strength and taste levels lean a little closer to medium than they do to mild. Doesn’t bite, and has no harsh notes. This crumble kake is easy to break apart to suit your smoking preference, but no matter how you do it, it’ll burn cool and clean at a slightly slow pace with a fairly smooth, mostly consistent deep, complex flavor. Leaves a little moisture in the bowl, and requires just a little more than an average number of relights. Has a pleasant after taste, and room aroma. As the taste has a bit of depth, I would not say this is an all day smoke, but it’s repeatable.

Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I'll try a Krumble Kake blend just about anytime. I love the way the leaf just melts in your hand as you load up. I'm not sure if King Cake is going to stick around due to the FDA thing, but I wish I had gotten more than just one tin. I really like this weed. Black Cavendish played a much larger role than I expected, offering some backbone and complimenting the Orientals and Perique nicely. The Virginia, which usually benefits from the good old Bayou Blessing (Perique), was more of a background supporter for the Black Cav. The Orientals had trouble peeking through the other stuff, but I did catch wisps of flavor from them on occasion. I think I would have liked this one better had it not been cased. It left sort of an aftertaste of fermented fruit and rum cake. I tried hard to like this one and think the moderate Aromatic crowd will enjoy it more.

GabrielCRT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GabrielCRT (84)
Mild to Medium Medium Full Pleasant

This has become my favorite aromatic. The moderately sweet topping pairs perfectly with the savory tobaccos. I taste mostly earthy Virginias with some hay. The perique has a mild spice while the Izmir is woody and sour. The black cavendish keeps the smoke very cool and bite free. The topping is a complex work of art. It's nutty with cocoa and fruit. Cherries, plum, and rum notes pop up periodically and in some bowls I've gotten a maple flavor. King Cake may improve with age but it's already highly recommended by me.

aztobaccosavant Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aztobaccosavant (10)
Medium Extra Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Amazing aromas, exactly as the tin lists. Love the Krumble Kake consistency. A bit miffed by the other reviews describing this Baccy as over the top and too heavily topped. It was SPECIFICALLY produced to be long term aged. The assumption would logically be that C&D produced this amazing blend for those heavily applied toppings to "age off" or mellow in tandem with the tobaccos blending and maturing IN THE CAN.

So here is the caveat, I adore this AROs flavor profile. It's a strong dose of toppings on an incredibly well blended mix. IF you open it pre-aged range it will be deeply aromatic. I expect that a blend this masterfully produced will Age with poise and grace, way more then I have!

Pipe Used: Dunhill, cob, Askwith, Larryson

Age When Smoked: 3 months in the jar

Purchased From: P&C

William H. Hardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
William H. Hardy (74)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

I was gifted this by a good friend and I appreciate the gift wholeheartedly. However, this tobacco won't be made a permanent member of my rotation. I like a good topped tobacco and most "aromatic" blends that contain full tobaccos without the bane of goopy black cavendish. This blend, though, is in no way goopy or even have a constituent of a majority black cav, but C&D was a bit too overly zealous with the flavorings. I have to disagree respectfully with JimInks who noted that the hazelnut was not as apparent in the smoke as the rum and plum. Hazelnut was all I tasted for over half the bowl. The next night I broke some up and left it on the dresser overnight to air out. This helped the blend immensely and toned down the hazelnut flavor to a tolerable level. It was actually enjoyable after some of the casing had dissipated. The Virginias, Perique, and Turkish are wonderful in this blend and work together quite well.

I know this seems like a negative review and there are problems I do have with this blend. However, it is really good for a change of pace from my usual VAs, VaPers, and Burleys. I do think the casing is overdone in my opinion. I also wonder why they included a blend with such a low percentage of Virginias in a series that consists of tobaccos formulated to aged. Oh, well. I do like it, but it's over the top for me.

Pipe Used: Tinderbox Christmas Pipe