From the roar of jazz music to the revel of old and new friends alike, New Orleans' speakeasies are not subtle establishments to say the least.

With colorful cocktails lining the bar and wisps of smoke dancing the dim light, these retro bars embody that daring spirit of one of the city's most iconic eras — something Cornell & Diehl sought to capture in their bold, Cellar Series take on the traditional Navy flake: Speakeasy Navy Blend.

Estimated peak: 10-15 years.

Notes: First introduced in July, 2016.

Blended ByJeremy Reeves
Taste
3.4
JimInks (2026)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

The rum topping is mildly applied, and works well with the tobaccos, only lightly sublimating them. The star component is the woody, earthy, mostly dry (with a touch of molasses), slightly smoky and nutty Kentucky. The tangy dark fruit and earthy Virginia is essentially a supporting player, and also sports a hint of spice. The small amount of lighter Virginia is hardly obvious in the taste, but is responsible for the slight citrus and grass notes. The raisins, figs, plum, and spice from the perique also plays a support role, just below that of the Virginias. The nic-hit is just below the medium level. The strength is a step or two past medium, and the taste threshold is a shade stronger than that. Won’t bite, but has a light rough edge from the Kentucky here and there. Well blended and complex, you’ll notice every aforementioned aspect in every puff, although the dark Virginia seems to be just a little more noticeable in the final quarter. This flake blend burns a little slow as they usually do, cool and clean with a consistent, filling flavor from start to finish. Leaves barely any dampness in the bowl, and requires some relights. Has a very pleasant woody sweet and savory, mildly spicy after taste, and stronger room note. Not an all day smoke, but it’s certainly a repeatable one.

lestrout Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lestrout (6)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Speakeasy was among some new blends introduced to Morley's PC several months ago. Its flakes were delectable looking in the tin, and the aroma of this fresh blend was enticing with little of the rum in evidence. The colors of the fresh blend were mostly medium brown, with a few spots of tan. At first light it started off with a sense of brown and maybe red Virginias, requiring a couple of char lights and tamping from puffing up, before settling down into a moderately fulsome smoke. with a considerable Kokumi (mouthfeel in the food flavor business).

The Perique was initially muted, basically contributing a sense of age to this very fresh batch. Within a few minutes, the Kentucky kicked in, providing bass notes to the flavor profile. There were no citrus, grassy or hay notes that I find in bright Virginias. Sweet tones from the rum and/or Virginias came into play as the bowl progressed, lending a rich complexity with the Kentucky supporting the Virginias base.

The cut of the blend made for a long smoke, and it was easy to nurture a slow burn, leading to a smooth ride. There was no bite, but if I pushed things by fast puffing, the deepening change in flavor let me know to back off.

The flavor gets stouter as the bowl progresses and, being a nicwimp, I don't know if I would enjoy this in a stack. The complex flavor presents differently in chambers of different sizes, but it remains multidimensional and robust.

Maybe JimInks would consider this an all-dayer.

This is designed to age, but it already tastes like a blend with several years on it. It will be interesting to see what this will be like given 5 or 10 years. Drawing on my winetasting experience, my guess is that it will smooth out even more and earn another star.

Pipe Used: clay, KW Contest, Bonfiglioli, Peretti

Age When Smoked: months

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Similar Blends: Not like any of the dozens of McClellands that I've tried. Much more overt taste than Capstans, or FVF for that matter. Stouter than any of the Formers or F&Ts and not as burnt tasting as BCDF, Astley 44 or stoved VAs. Reminds me a bit of a couple of the HUs. Can't think of any SGs or GHs which occupy the same flavor spectrum..

Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The earthy, nutty, mildly smoky Kentucky leads, but there is a fair amount of fruit from the Perique and, to a lesser extent, the Virginias. Also a nice spice from the Perique. The rum lends a little sweet molasses. This is a great tasting smoke even without aging. I hope I last long enough to taste it with ten years on it. I can't imagine any Kentucky lover not enjoying this smoke.

Medium in body. Medium to full in taste. Flavoring is very mild. Burns very well.

Pipe Used: MM Little Devil Cutty, Little Devil Acorn, Marcus

the_dalai_lama_himself Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
the_dalai_lama_himself (39)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

The Kentucky is most noticeable especially off the light. The rum is just enough to influence the blend and is tastefully applied. Virginias are there to balance out the Kentucky and rum and do so nicely. The perique I feel is what makes the blend really stand out. It adds another layer of complexity that really sings with plum and spice when playing off the nutty smoky woodiness of the Kentucky and the feint alcohol and sugar note of the rum.. really enjoy this blend. Burns well and needed no drying time. Broken flake took a little effort to get lit with the tobacco rising up again and again but smokes perfect once lit almost like your sipping a rum cocktail with some blackberry brandy. Fans of Kentucky, Burley, and/or Perique should enjoy this.

steppx Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
steppx (131)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This reminds me a bit, philosophically speaking, of Exhausted Rooster (which technically has no rum but i believe has a tad of casing). And in a sense Pease's Navigator. They are sort of doing the same thing. Strong full bodied blends of Kentucky and Virginia and Perique with alcohol added. And Speakeasy is very good. I think i prefer ER but its close and i have to live with Speakeasy for a bit more. But the rum is a nice bottom and you notice it without it taking over the tobacco flavors. The kentucky is smooth but the nic hit is not insignificant. Comes as a broken flake (like many C&D blends) and ready to smoke right from the tin. i have put away a couple tins and will see if the ageing really helps or not. It likely does. But even as is, this is a fine very high quality blend. And sort of addictive ...it posseses its own unique sort of taste and the rum does give it additional layers ...as rum and brandy blends ...the good ones...tend to.

Purchased From: 4noggins

p120d16y Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p120d16y (18)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is like Small Batch Carolina Red Flake just got a smidge of dark fired leaf and a whisper of Perique added to it. Sweet and sugary red VA varietal like used in Sansepolcro and Red Flake, with a bit more strength and spice from the two additional leaves, and an almost undetectable hint of rum. I loved this stuff right from the start. Smoked a couple bowls side by side with Carolina Red Flake (I still have several unicorn tins) and I confirm it's the same leaf without doubt. Knew it from the first bowl, definitely knew with the side by side smoking both at the same time. With some really good long term aging this Speakeasy broken Flake is going to be a gem. If you like sweet red Virginia with a dash of spice and hint of rum this is right up your alley.

Pipe Used: Various briars

Age When Smoked: Really freshly tinned

Purchased From: SmokingPipes

Similar Blends: Mostly the profile of Carolina Red Flake with some spice tobaccos adding their qualities..

JohnLawitzke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnLawitzke (3)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Upon lighting the first thing I noticed was a slight leathery, smoky sharp tang from the small amount of Dark Fired used in this blend. Usually, I am not a fan of Dark Fired, but the very light use in this blend gives just a taste in the background through out the bowl. A short way into a bowl and I start to taste and feel a bit of pepper from the Perique on my tongue. Soon after, even though I an neither snorking nor inhaling, I start to notice peppery tingling in my nose from the Perique. Between the Dark Fired and the Perique, I do not notice the rum topping. There is a very good red Virginia as the base of this blend. Smoking this from a young tin, I can taste the stereotypical red Virginia richness along with a wee bit of citrus sweetness. I see great potential in this blend for aging. Once the flavors meld more and the Va ferments, I think this is blend is going to become even better.

Right now, I am giving this blend 3 stars but with a few years of aging, I think that this blend has the potential to become 4 stars.

Pipe Used: Various briars

Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend was released shortly after I swore off buying any more tobacco as I had recently surpassed what I had estimated to be a lifetime supply of tobacco. When I seen the tin and the ingredients, I kind of knew I would like it, but jumping on impulses such as that is why my cellar so quickly outpaced my smoking.

Anyway, I was fortunate enough to have a friend hand me this sample at the Chicago Show a few weeks back and confirmed the fact that I do, indeed, like this blend. And like it a lot. It tastes how a VaBurPer should in my opinion and the use of Dark Fired Kentucky really amps up the body in the blend. The rum topping was the only thing I wasn't sure of as I have had both good and bad experiences with that topping, and with Rum itself for that fact. But it is wisely applied and compliments the primary components nicely.

Of note to this blend is a better than normal sidestream aroma to the blend than I normally experience in the genre. This smells fabulous from the top of the bowl, perhaps a benefit from the Rum or possibly the Kentucky which I find to be quite fragrant when it is burned.

My sample gave me four bowls, which I would normally cautiously give three stars, but as the likelihood of adding tins to the cellar seems low at this point, I am putting four stars on it as it was exceptional to my tastes. A very good blend.

Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Cornell & Diehl - Speakeasy.

A lot of the blend is a broken flake, it's medium brown, and has an aroma where the rum's easy to identify. The moisture's good.

This was my 'wake-up' smoke today, and the nicotine amount makes it only suitable for that slot, for me, it's quite potent! The rum isn't particularly strong in the smoke, but definitely present. Of the tobaccos the Kentucky races ahead, but doesn't mask the others. The Perique and Virginia are about equal in weight, giving the Kentucky a support of fruit, spice, grass, and hay. The burn from Speakeasy's exemplary, and the smoke doesn't bite.

Nicotine: quite strong. Room-note: tolerable.

To me, this isn't an all day smoke, mornings only! But, I'll still recommend it:

Three stars.

Pipe Used: Peterson Kenmare #X220

Age When Smoked: Three months

Sheldon Richman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sheldon Richman (8)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Rich, tasty, and mouth-watering. The one drawback for me is the nicotine hit. It's not one I can smoke while working. Otherwise it is quite gooood!

Pipe Used: corn cob, briar

Age When Smoked: Days

Purchased From: Gift

Similar Blends: Nothing I've had..