A medium to mild blend of carefully selected Virginia tobaccos with a natural aroma.

Notes: Originally produced by W.D. and H.O. Wills, now re-released by MacBaren.

BrandMac Baren
Blended ByMac Baren
Manufactured ByMac Baren
ProductionRe-release
Strength
Taste

3.4

Recently, I have had the good fortune to smoke 1938 and 1940 Capstan Blue. Here are my thoughts on them and the MacBaren version, starting with the 1938.

1938 Version: I’ve smoked three bowls and have enough left for one more. I think similar tobacco varietals are used in today's production. Dark Virginias usually have a dried dark fruit note or two, depending on the processing, and CB is no exception. The 1938 version obviously had time to age, and the further fermentation of the Virginias caused the stewed fruit flavor to be more prominent and sweeter than when it is fresh. I thought it was slightly more sugary, too, which was also caused by the aging process. New CB has a couple of rough edges (not to the extent of FVF or similar Va.s), and they were smoothed out over time in the 1938. I thought the nicotine level was lightly higher in the 1938, too.

This 1940 Capstan almost tastes like a cross between the 1930s version and the current version. The Virginia has a few grass notes (a shade less than the '30s Capstan), but is more earthy than the new version, which I attribute either to the tobacco varietal or age or both. The dark fruit and citrus notes area little more pronounced than the '30s version and very close, but slightly deeper than the new version, though a shade less sweeter than the new manufacture. It has the taste of fermented sweet matured Virginia. I'd say this is slightly tangier than the others, and has a minute spice tingle not found in the others, too. This is just a little muddier in flavor than the other two as well as a little more nicotine. There was a very, very slight hint of cigarette near the finish of the 1930s version which I do not experience here or in the MacBaren version. The flavor holds to the finish. Frankly, I like this a little better than the '30s version - not by much, though - and I think it has a little more interesting character and is a little more complex than the new version.

Current MacBaren Version: This is a little stronger, less sweet, and less cased than its brother in the gold tin. Slight citrus, fig, and a little grass/hay and earthy taste with a nice mild to medium dark fruit Virginia flavor. Also is slightly sugary. Not a very complex blend, though there are a couple of different Virginias in the mix. If you want something a little stronger and less sweet than Capstan Gold, or a straight Virginia that's less stronger than Gawith Full Virginia Flake, this will give you what you want. Has a mild nic-hit. Won't bite. A rather uncomplicated blend that burns cool, clean and smooth with a very consistent flavor at a slow pace. Requires a few relights, but you won't mind it. Leaves very little moisture in the bowl. A very comfortable all day smoke to pack and light with enough nicotine to get your attention without overwhelming your senses.

CoolPilot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoolPilot (69)

An excellent virginia flake at a very reasonable price, at least here in italy. Equivalent to FVF, this tobacco is ready to be smoked, not too wet and not too dry. Always perfectly ready: and this is something Samuel Gawith will hardly learn. Flake come in thin slices, so rubbing them is a matter of a second.

I dont know why this is so underrated, and FVF get all those stars, but so much better for the price of the tin..

Pipe Used: lubinsky

Similar Blends: Full Virginia Flake.

Capstan has quickly become my favorite morning smoke and is giving Samuel Gawith a run for their money as my favorite Virginia flakes.

The flavor and aroma remind me of freshly baked bread, or toast. A little honey sweetness, especially on relights. No fireworks, just excellent plain tobacco flavor.

My mornings tend to be busy so it's not often that I can devote the time to completely finish a pipe. I'll smoke for a few minutes, let it go out, and come back to it several times throughout the morning. A bowl might easily last me until just before lunch time. Capstan is very tolerant of this smoking pattern. Each relight brings renewed sweetness and flavor. Doesn't get bitter or nasty the way some other tobaccos do when you set them down for a while. If anything, it gets better.

I also appreciate that Capstan is not a palate wrecker. I can smoke it all morning and still be game to smoke anything in the afternoon and evening, whether I decide to stick with straight Virginias all day, or switch to Virginia-Perique, or something with some Oriental/Turkish, or whatever.

Burns easily and stays lit with slow, gentle puffing. Works best for me rolled up, rather than folded and stuffed. It comes apart a little when rolling but I try to keep it together in a roughly cylindrical shape as much as possible and stuff it into one of my preferred flake pipes, either a little Group 2 Parker billiard or an Ashton XX canadian. I do this last thing before bed the night before and it's dried out to perfection for smoking the next morning. I suppose you could also rub it out, but that sort of defeats the whole point of a flake.

I love this tobacco and will be cellaring as much of it as I can afford. Some days it's seriously the most pleasant thing in my earthly existence and I don't ever want to run out of it. It's a little more expensive than some other Virginia flakes but in my opinion completely worth it.

Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

New version by Mac Barens. Beautiful light brown thin flakes in the tin, perfect for folding. A nice clean tin aroma with the usual virginia hay and grass and an underlying spicy fruitiness. But not over the top on any one aroma.

In the pipe, this reminds me of a mix of Mac Barens Virginia Flake and Dunhill Light Flake. It has the formers middle-of-the road hay flavor but not its lack of pizzaz. It has the latters hint of sour fruit and spiciness but not its bold flavor. This would then be a solid if unremarkable virginia flake that smokes very cleanly and easily, and with a very moderate amount of complexity. No overabundance of nicotine and it stays lit very well. It shows some potential greatness at times and this would be a good one for me to cellar and smoke again with some serious age on it. Something tells me a 5 year old tin of this would hit 4 stars solidly. I never consciously wanted for anything when smoking this - never wished it were this or that. It was just a nice comforting smoke that completely took my mind off the fact that I was puffing. A nice "set it and forget it" tobacco, but with the promise of something great down the road.

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (134)

Extremely smooth, creamy smoke - almost silky. Two flakes, folded, fit perfectly in the bowl of my Grabow Grand Duke (no filter). Perfect straight from the tin. Slight raisin-like fruit flavor. Tastes like Best Brown Flake and Full Virginia Flake, in equal amounts, with the positives of both. Flavor and strength build through the bowl. Excellent flavor, particularly when sipped. 4-*.

Pipe Used: Grabow Grand Duke, MM

Age When Smoked: APR 2013

Purchased From: P&C

cargohold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cargohold (7)

Back in about the 1970's and early 80's the all time favorite Virginia flake in the pipe shops where I worked in Portland, Oregon was Dunhill Light Flake. However when Dunhill farmed their tobaccos out to Murrays the natural flavor of that tobacco was overwhelmed with a topping which made it smokable but not nearly as good as the original. Many of us went at that time to Capstan Navy Cut which was actually more like the original Dunhill Light Flake than Murray's version of the Dunhill product. When Macbaren reintroduced the product last year I was very pleasantly surprised to discover that their version was very very similar to the Capstan of old produced by W.D. and H.O. Wills. It is now my "go to" flake although I find it occasionally interesting to mix it half and half with Capstan Gold Flake for a little more sweetness. I must disagree with the reviewer that claimed that Capstan's charm lies only in its heritage. Take it from an old timer, this is what great Virginia flakes tasted like back in the day!

Pipe Used: small bowls, Dunhill,Sasieni, Comoy, GBD

Purchased From: cargohold at Poulsbo, Washington

Similar Blends: The original Dunhill Light flake..

Peter Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peter Piper (41)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

A mediocre tobacco based on a widespread British blend of yore. Acidic, acrid and a wee bit green. Apart from the attraction of the long-established and historic name, I cannot think why this has been hyped up to the heavens. There are far too many straight Vas out there of greater superiority to be wasting your time on this pocket full of nostalgia.

I had never before tried anything with the legendary Capstan name on it, so I cannot comment on the original virtues of this blend. Hunting for some decent tobaccos whilst on a short trip to Spain (or, to be more accurate, to that Arabic enclave in Southern Europe also known as Andalusia), I spotted these small rectangular tins, a la Dunhill's Light Flake, with the Capstan name clearly inscribed on them. There was a light blue tin, with the inscription Original Navy Cut under the name, and there was a mustard-yellow version, with the Capstan name in red and the inscription Gold Navy Cut underneath. Eager to try some natural tobacco taste (according to the very cute Spanish señorita behind the counter, both tobaccos were of the English type, meaning by that they had no artificial aromatic agents), I bought both.

These are my impressions on the blue tin, or the Original Navy Cut. I kind of expected a Gawith or John Sinclair type of flake, with that soapy and rather sweet Virginia aroma English tobaccos sometimes have. This expectation augmented when I read a very small print on the side of the tin stating: ?made in Denmark under license of Imperial Tobacco Limited, England?. I was wrong. The tin aroma was closer to Orlik's Golden Sliced or Stokkebye's De Luxe Navy Cut. The texture of the flake inside was also rather similar: light and dark brown intermingled in neatly pressed, pliable rectangles. The more I smelled the contents the more it reminded me not of molasses or dried raisins, but of freshly mowed hay, with an agreeable grassy note, quite inviting and fresh. Packing in the flakes was a very simple process. They are easily rubbed up, but they can also be packed in as they are. It looked promising! I lit the pipe, and yes, a wonderful, natural Virginia flavour ensued, ever so smooth, buttery and mild, with a toasty undertone, which I very much appreciate.

As I progressed through the bowl, I was happily surprised by both, the smoothness and at the same time the consistency of flavour of this blend. It is a very mild Virginia, but somehow it also very tasty and rich, in that Danish sort of way. I thought to my self, either Capstan used to taste like Orlik or this is just another excellent mild Danish type of flake under an English name. Then it hit me: this is very similar not to Orlik, but to Fribourg & Treyer's Virginias (be it Cut Virginia Plug or Cut Blended Plug).

In any case, this is a very gratifying, reliable mild smoke, excellent as a change of pace after a couple of weeks of smoking alternatively Dunhill's Standard Mixture Medium (a tobacco which, by the way, I have come to appreciate much more in recent times) and some of Mac Baren's aromatic mixtures. As a final note, I can only say that this a very nice Virginia, well pressed, with a very refined taste and excellent burning characteristics. It may not be that original, but it certainly is a good choice when looking for a subdued smoke, that does not seem to bother anyone and that packs enough flavour to make it memorable (03/05).

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Appearance: Well made flakes, finely cut, about 2 by 3 inches. The color ranges from lemon to rich chestnut, with no dark traces. Over time, a cellared tin will turn .mostly dark, but this takes several years.

Aroma: The aroma is well matured Virginia, with a small quantity of Burley, and a trace of top dressing. Overall, the bouquet reminds me of Fribourg & Treyer?s Cut Va. Plug.

Packing: Owing to the fine cut, it packs well in any bowl. Rolling the flakes into cylinders is very easy..

Lighting: The quickest lighting flake I can recall. A one match light is possible.

Initial flavor: The initial flavor is sweet medium strength Vrginia, quite beguiling and gentle.

Mid-bowl: The tobacco burns cooler than expected unless puffed too quickly. There is a full range of medium to high notes that keep you interested, but don?t stress the tongue or palate.

Finish: Even at the finish, there is no harshness. The ash is medium gray and quite fine.

Summary: This is to me, an excellent all day tobacco that can be smoked either casually or contemplatively. It is rewarding either way.

Corncob3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Corncob3 (55)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

A really nice find. Beautiful tin/ artwork-lovin' the blue label. Smooth and silky. Slightly tangy in the right places and at the right times with a delicate spicy undertone. Well pressed sheets of brown and yellow flake. I wish it were offered in a larger tin, but a little goes a long way. Just when I think I've hit the bottom of the bowl, there's more to be smoked. Got a good 25-30 minute smoke out of a full bowl. I found no bite with this blend. Just a tamper or two to keep things in check. A must try and must have in your rotation. Four stars for this one.

Pipe Used: Grabow Briar

Similar Blends: Mac Baren Virginia flake.

Halbarad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Halbarad (3)

Great little tobacco. The flakes are very well packaged and come out of the tin ready to smoke. Has a light sweet smoke to it that reminds me of champagne. This blend must be smoked slowly to really let it shine, if you smoke it too quickly you will loose the beautiful delicate flavor.

I have just completed my adventure with a 20-plus year old tin of Capstan Medium and found it to be a delightful experience. This is an old classic, and while nostalga probably played a part in my determination to like this flake, the leaf itself also had a lot to do with it.

Capstan Medium had a pleasant enough smell in the tin, but certainly nothing unusual. My nostrils detected a slight essence of hay and fermented fruit. The strips were moist but not overly so. I did rub out fully for an easy pack job in one of my smaller Mark Tinskey Billiards.

The flavor was bold, my Virginia Bite-O-Meter barely registered, and the pipe kept the weed at a wonderfully even burn throughout each smoke.

Is this one of those rare "I've gotta celler some tins" type blend? Not to me. But, I was certainly pleased to meet Capstan Medium's acquaintance!

moniker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
moniker (72)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Kudos to MacBaren for keeping Capstan Original Navy Cut alive. I paid a pretty penny for a tin of this offered by my local tobacconist, and on popping the tin I was immediately transported back in time, when Ed Kolpin gave me a tin to go with a Dunhill pipe I was to dedicate to this blend. He then went so far as to offer a money back guarantee, provided I use only wooden matches, and I was not to try to smoke the very last of it. Today, as I smoke this tobacco in the very same pipe, I offer TR readers the same advice, though I admit I am addicted to the convenience afforded by my Tsubota “Bolbo” lighter, and I imagine any “good smoker” might be dedicated with good results. In other words, it’s the tobacco, not the pipe, that makes CONC great.

In the tin, this fine flake looks and smells, for all the world, like the same tobacco I “remember”, distinctly vegetal, yet unmistakably VA, with nary a trace of else to spoil the experience. I still smoke it straight from the tin (or the jar), folding and loosely stuffing a flake, then slowly, patiently bringing it up to the point where it stays lit. IMO, CONC compares very favorably with Germain’s Brown Flake, at least in terms of quality. Though the lighter, flue and air cured leaf offers a different spectrum of tastes and aromas, I find CONC to be almost impossibly rich, and the naturally sweet aftertaste goes on and on. Strength is mild to medium. Tastes build from mild toward medium. Room note is spectacular.

Obviously, IMO, CONC is something special for VA lovers. While my own rating system turns a 3.5 into a 4, CONC is a solid 4, best of the best VA flake.

Pipe Used: dedicated briar

Age When Smoked: old and new, from tins and jars

Purchased From: Liberty Tobacco

Similar Blends: More natural and "even" than Astley's 109; "lighter" than Germain's Brown Flake; "lighter" and even more natural than F&T's Vintage..

This review is based on the Orlik version of this blend that I was buying from Denmark in 2010 & 2011. As with the Willis version, I find this to be more on the mild or mild to medium side. The Orlik version is definitely lighter and there is a bit more “hay” in this version, but the age of the Willis I smoked likely skewed the comparison. It isn’t overly complex and like most Virginias, it needs to be respected and appreciated with a slow cadence. I always smoke Capstan by folding the flakes and rubbing out a very small amount to get things going. Since others have commented on this verses FVF, my two cents is that Capstan is a much better smoke, not to mention far less wet. With additional age, I could easily see this as a four star smoke. As for the new Mac Baren, I have squirreled away a few tins, but I often get bit by Mac Baron blends, so I have yet to open Capstan’s newest incarnation as I am waiting for some age.

Purchased From: FF Pipes and Tobacco

Opening the tin presents nicely prepared flakes, typical of Mac Baren, with an ideal moisture content that are pliable for my fold and pack technique. Even with this method, the tobacco lit easily on the charring light and few relights were required. It smoked cool and sweet in all sized bowls without condensation and the taste was consistent throughout the bowl. I enjoyed the deeper, richer flavor of the darker VA's when compared to the Capstan Yellow although both are great smokes. Glad this one is available in the USA again.

I've been smoking the new Mac Baren incarnation of this classic; the flake in the blue tin is what I'm speaking of. Upon opening the tin you are greeted with a predominantly darker brown flake with some speckles of lighter leaf present. The tin aroma is one of prunes and figs with a moderately sweet note. Loading with the fold and stuff method and lighting were a breeze. The taste is very raisiny with little if any Virginia hay/grass present. There is a spice to this one especially when allowing the smoke to enter the back of the throat and come up the nasal passages - not over the top, but present. The smoking experience reminded me of a milder, but slightly fuller in body, Dunhill Flake (one of my favorites). No matter what my smoking cadence, I could not get this to smoke hot nor bite. This was certainly one fulfilling Virginia smoke and I can see why many have raved about it. I have yet to try the yellow-tinned flake yet, but will do so after I smoke more of the blue.

I've tried many Virginias over the years and my biggest complaints were that they were either too grassy/hay-like in taste or they had very little taste and body. The blue Capstan Flake seems to me the near perfect - if not the perfect - Virginia flake. For those who like Virginias, this will not disappoint. All the trouble spent with Sam Gawith's offerings were truly a waste of my time when compared to Capstan Original Navy Cut Flake! As a predominantly Burley smoker, I can smoke this every day and be happy. Truly a 5 star, and stellar, smoke that rates a highly recommended from me.

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Capstan - Original Navy Cut.

I've had this in my cellar for about a year now, I've just never gotten around to opening it up. I'm glad I popped the lid today though; it's been well worth the wait!

When I removed the lid I was met by two rows of wide, medium brown, highly mottled flakes. I took a sniff to try and identify the other/misc flavouring but I couldn't smell a thing; obviously I could smell the tobacco but no enhancements of any sort seemed to be present. As the moisture's good I rub and fill right away; because the tin's air sealed I assume the year I've cellared it hasn't ameliorated the moistness of the blend any.

The second I took my first sip from my Erik Nording I could understand why this has been around for so long; it's a brilliantly simple smoke. Just like the tins aroma, I can't pick out anything extra that's embellished the taste. The flavour I can identify is a lively and zealous Virginia one. It's almost the archetypal flavour of a lesser matured Virginia actually; there's a lot of lemons/citrus and grass/hay to the smoke; it's so lively it would be a great smoke for the outdoors on a nice hot day!

I don't find the nicotine to be at all strong; it maybe becomes medium at a huge push but for me it's pretty mild for most of a bowl.

The rest of this review consists of positives: it burns great, doesn't bite, has a good note and leaves me wanting more!

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Erik Nording

Purchased From: The Danish Pipe Shop

WillBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillBrown (101)

I absolutely enjoyed the Capstan Yellow; logic would have it I'd like the Capstan Blue, too, and, I do. The front end of this baccy is every bit as good as the Yellow; not as light, though. The baccy changed for me around mid-bowl; it got slightly bitter on the retro. The snork here reminded me of Dunhill's Flake, the same bitter effect (though not taste). Overall, this is a nice flake but I prefer the Yellow over the Blue—and, one serious negative, a big one in my view, as of 10/7/15 the list price for both of these blends (Yellow & Blue) is $16.00 a tin! Ouch! If the price doesn't go down soon, I'll be looking for another flake.

Keep on Piping!

ArmedOctopus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ArmedOctopus (20)

My goodness, what a tin note. Something about this blend in the tin made my mouth drool. Fantastic. Very fruity....almost identical to apricots. Perfect moisture level. Easy to light and smoke, burning to the bottom right out of a newly-opened tin. And that is saying something because I am terrible at packing a pipe.

The flavor is good. Solid Virginia. Deep and dark, although not as dark and strong as Old Dark Fired. However, it was unmistakably in the same vein. Bold flavor, with no unpleasant aftertaste. I didnt notice a nicotine presence, although I am sure a bigger bowl or more than one bowl would have made it surface. No tongue bite even after puffing like a train.

I am beginning to like flakes more and more and this one is a keeper. I wouldnt consider this a top tier grab for me, but definitely worth many bowls. Recommended.

Oh, and my wife liked the room note. So that is REALLY saying something.

McGrandpa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
McGrandpa (2)

I can find no words to describe this blend other than fantastic. Opening the tin, I was greeted with a very pleasant aroma, similar to dried plums with a slight note of fresh cut grass. I packed using the fold and stuff method, and found lighting to be a bit tricky (two days of drying seemed to remedy this). The flavor was, at first, very sweet with notes of citrus and dried fruit, as well as some very faint nutty flavors. Further into the bowl, some earthy, grassy notes begin to show through. However, the citrusy flavors remain dominant for the entirety of the smoke. Concerning room note, I've been told the scent is "straight tobacco". Overall this is nothing short of a fantastic blend

Pipe Used: Falcon Coolway 12

Similar Blends: Orlik Tobacco Company A/S - Golden Sliced (Red).

SmokeDawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeDawg (82)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Looking forward to this one as I enjoy VA flakes. Scored a tin that had been sitting on the shelf of my tobacconist for several years, (Don't know how) but lucky me. The tobacco is beautiful and quite moist with a delightful rum topping. The flakes actually fused together and leaves me tearing them up trying to get them out in sheets. The fact it's been around for 100 years says a great deal about this blend. I enjoyed this tin knowing JRR Tolkien enjoyed it as well and to me there is a connection in a way that only fellow pipers can enjoy. This is a med body Va and quite good but honestly it's a bit pricy for the amount of tobacco you get. For my money Erinmore and Mac Baren's Modern Va flake is a greater value as it delivers the same great smoke but more bacca for the same amount of dough or less. I would buy this again as its a fine smoke, but reconsider it based on the price.

Pipe Used: various.

Age When Smoked: Early 2013.

Similar Blends: Erinmore and Mac Baren modern VA flake..

Toasterbottom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Toasterbottom (13)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm almost finished my first tin of Capstan Original Navy Cut and it's grown on me. At first the smoke didn't seem to be as flavourful as Dunhill Flake (my go-to straight Virginia flake), but it's close and, like Dunhill Flake, it's certainly easier to work with than FVF, which I've given up on because when I want to smoke, I want to smoke and not be forced to wait around for twenty minutes. The moisture level of this Capstan is just about perfect and yet can still stand a little air drying after rubbing out to get a perfect smoke. I haven't had much luck folding and stuffing it, but that just may be my inexpert stuffing technique and I don't think it has to do with moisture level.

I'm finding that now the tin has been open for a week, though, each pipeful is improved greatly over my original experience. I'm noticing a greater sweetness and more of that fresh hay taste I love. I've also started smoking it in smaller bowls, though, and this may have done the trick. I had been shovelling it into big billiards for long walks with the dog and the combination of a big bowl and inattentive smoking while walking and bending to pick up, etc. may not have been fair. Still ... there's something not quite there for me. 3 stars vs. Dunhill Flake's rating of 4 stars. Oh, and it's damned expensive compared to Dunhill Flake -- almost forgot that!

Pipe Used: a variety of straight and bent billiards

Age When Smoked: a couple of months

Purchased From: 4noggins.com

L'Italiano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
L'Italiano (111)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Straight Virginia, without any doubt, and I believe natural Virginia. I think there is no flavoring in it, perhaps a light top dressing, but not casing at all. This is a great tobacco. Very good, natural, a classic. The taste of Virginia is unmistakable. If you want to learn to smoke straight Virginia, Capstan is absolutely the best. In my personal rating (from 1 to 10) my score is 9 and three stars.

I have smoked this and the Capstan Gold Navy Cut. Presentation in the tin is similar. Moisture level is great and I did not dry. I smoked mine rubbed out - mostly in wider bowls.

This is a very high quality Virginia Flake. Strength and flavor are slightly higher than Gold Navy Cut. I claim this has no topping. There is a full and slightly sweet Virginia flavor with grassy and earthy notes. It was easy to keep lit, and it smoked cool for me.

As a value, this is very expensive per ounce, but it is in stock and easy to find. I would consider it very close to Full Virginia Flake at a similar price. FVF might have a slightly fuller taste. As a smoke for me to have in inventory, this is a 3. I like it more than Gold Navy Flake, but this still does not rise to a 4. It is almost there.

Uban Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uban (52)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

I really like the MacBaren version. Light golden flakes, perfectly presented, easy to rub out or shred, or cube cut. Starts very sweet but soon grows creamy and full (enough) with great high notes and a little grassy base to go along. Cool & dry smoking, a good intro to a straight Va for anyone. Mixed with 1/3 good Perique, absolute VaPer Heaven.

UPDATE: I have now smoked this in every kind of pipe I have. It just gets better , but it is CRITICAL to let it dry a bit to avoid bite & get the full flavor. Also I have decided that so much Perique wrecks it. Best at maybe 10% added; mine is "Blending Perique" from P & C, probably "Acadian," but it's great stuff nonetheless.

Pipe Used: Everything

Age When Smoked: 70 for me, new for the tin

Purchased From: Pipe Guys

Similar Blends: Best Brown, DH Light Flake.

cargohold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cargohold (7)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Well, as Capstan Navy Cut Medium was my all time favorite tobacco when I smoked it back in the ancient times of the 1970's and 80's, I was hopeful but a bit dubious about Macbaren's ability to even come close to the old Blue Capstan that I remember. Now my taste buds may have cloyed a bit over the past 40 years of pipe smoking but when I opened the first tin of this re-release I was quite pleased, it is virtually identical to the original flake in every respect. If you want to experience a classic from the past jump on the Capstan bandwagon, but do not spread this around too widely or we might have a run similar to the Gawith FVF of a couple of years ago.

Pipe Used: Sasieni, Comoy ,Dunhill, Astleys

Age When Smoked: one year

Purchased From: Carghold Poulsbo, Washington

Similar Blends: Orlik Golden Slices, Dunhill Flake, Gawiths Full Virginia Flake.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

My wife, an occasional pipe smoker herself, gifted me two tins she found at the West Coast Pipe Show several years ago. I still have half of one tin remaining that I opened from a Ball jar for a Christmas treat this year. This review is based on those aged tins as I was not a pipe smoker back when this Willis version was brand new. If I had to pick one Virginia tobacco to smoke for a lifetime, this would be the one. Its beautifully sweet, with a slight taste of hay and with all of the age on these tins, it was just sublime. Maybe it was more medium when first tinned, but I would place this more in the mild, or mild to medium category. It is topped, but very lightly and at this point can’t quite tell with what. What I can say is that I would happily pay the price on another tin! Great stuff.

Age When Smoked: over 25 years

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (131)

I waited awhile to review this fine flake, smoking it in various pipes and with various prep methods. And I'm still struggling to articulate the flavor profile of this outstanding blend. While some have described this as a sweet Virginia, I must agree with several previous reviewers that there is a spiciness to this blend. Not peppery but rather salty. There is, however, the most delightful, subtle, natural Virginia sweetness that asserts shortly after the charring light and remains present throughout the bowl. It's enveloped by a more classically robust Virginia flavor that frames the sweeter notes. Then there's that saltiness- could there be some high quality burley in this blend? Regardless, the sweetness and the saltiness intermingle in an almost magical way.

I enjoy a number of Virginia flakes and ribbons and can honestly say this one stands out as unique in the field. An outstanding blend. All of the classic VA flake presentation, visually and in tin note. Benefits from some drying time (I like 45 min to an hour, but I'm in a damp climate). But otherwise takes a match well and requires little prep or maintanance (unlike another popular VA flake). That mellow spiciness might just make this the VaPer lovers favorite straight VA flake.

This one has world class aging potential written all over it from the first puff.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This is an edited review, last time I gave it a one star, I up it to 4, why? Well by the time I finished the tin, I'm begging for more. I love the mild (yellow version) but this is quickly taking it over. For me it is similar to R. McConnell's Scottish Cake and Petersons Uni Flake. It is milder in strength to Uni Flake and not as hay/grassy as Scot Cake. Top flake, ages well in tin, doesn't dry out to much by the end. I get a nice sweet VA with a little sour after taste and a hint of Licorice.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I will not belabour the point made admirably by the esteemed NOORRMM, with whose review I fully concur, except to say that this is one of the classics, and just about as pleasant a middleweight Virginia flake as I know.

It has not been distributed in the USA these last few years, but the suggested renewed availability of the AMPHORA blends lets one hope that it will soon again make the delights of American flake fanciers. Now that unrubbed tobacco seems to be in vogue, everyone should make the acquaintance of this old desert island favourite.

Paul Tatum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paul Tatum (86)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

I was able to smoke a ten year old tin of this . It had a fruity smell in the tin , but the flavor was not heavily artificial . I'd smoke it again but I wouldn't stock it in the cellar without smoking it some more .It was intriguing , but not exciting . Not bad in any way though .

dixcreek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dixcreek (67)
Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Grassy, sweet and notes of dried fruit from both the tin note and the taste. Smokes well being folded or rubbed out, though I do prefer rubbed out. Never smoked the original but this Mac concoction is top drawer. Consistent in burn and flavor throughout the bowl. Medium nic hit with no harsh notes or bite. 4 stars without hesitation.

Pipe Used: Gatlin Burlier house Bulldog

Age When Smoked: New and jarred 2 plus years

Purchased From: Pipes and cigars

Alper.e Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alper.e (8)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

if it is possible this blend deserves five stars. no harsh no gurgling, absolutely no bite. very smooth and delightful smoke.

It turns me from English to Virginia

Pipe Used: meerschaum only

Age When Smoked: new tin

Purchased From: milano, italy

Corvus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Corvus (36)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Pleasant

A very nice straight Virginia flake, although whether it is a true navy flake is debatable as I detect no rum. Like all Mac Baren products there is a real air of quality and an impeccable presentation. The classic light blue of the 20th century blend remains and the namesake capstan with several turns of line is illustrated on the lid. Printed paper with a repeating geometric image cradles these beautiful flakes. Deep straw like odor in the tin, and when fresh has some slightly dried fruit scents, especially raisin. Light brown flakes, slightly moist, with some bright leaf and birds-eye like flecks.

The flavor is deep and grassy, yet soft. It burns quite nicely. Some light molasses or honey is evident at the light, what I've found to be relatively characteristic of Mac Baren blends, but it's possible this could just be the natural sugars. A subtle sweetness that develops throughout the bowl, with some herbal components and fleeting butter. It has a very clean finish, but can be slightly acrid at times with the faintest citrus. Very light toasty note and some white chocolate. A little woolier when moister with some different fruit flavors.

A well behaved, good burning, light to medium Virginia. I have been pondering the rating on this for months and ultimately it earns 4 stars; that is, I highly recommend it. The quality is undeniable, it's slightly stronger than expected (a good thing), and it's very nice in a middle of the road way. That is what gave me pause because it's not a must-try, however there are simply no faults to it and that is worthy of a full rating. To me superior in all respects to FVF, but it certainly carries a premium price.

DeathMetal.org Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeathMetal.org (78)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Summary: a blend of light Virginias that provides a sweet, non-complex smoking flavor and mild nicotine.

This simple blend gets the pipe smoker as close as possible to the cigarette experience. It is near-monochromatic in flavor, having bonded bright and darker Virginias into a chord, with a sweet taste reminiscent of grain or hay with an earthy lower boundary from the darker Virginias. It lights easily and stays lit well and, like a really good cigarette, delivers a consistent flavor that is both non-distracting and pleasurable. If you like light Virginia flakes, this is a good one to keep around.

coldmoon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
coldmoon (24)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Currently I'm finishing the 2nd tin of this blend. Very neat flakes of various shades of Virginia leaf. The flakes are a bit too moist to smoke right out of the tin so I leave them out to dry for about 30 - 40 minutes before packing in to the pipe. The tin aroma is of your typical Virginia blend - hayish grassy aroma with some sweet fruity/citrusy overtones. Don't get me wrong, this is not an aromatic tobacco. It is a straight Virginia blend. Fruitiness is barely detectable but is definitely there.

Once dried, the packing is fairly easy. As per usual I use fold and stuff method with flake tobaccos. Works best for me.

It takes two charring lights to get the tobacco going. But once it's lit, it stays lit with no problems.

From the start I thought this is very simple and basic tobacco with no frills. But it kinda grows on you and you crave it more and more. The taste is very sweet. Maybe it is just my imagination but there are barely noticeable rum like notes from the smoke. I find that it is almost the same as Orlik's Golden Sliced, very similar to Peterson's University Flake but not as strong and MacBaren's Virginia #1 but not as sweet. The taste really changes depending on how fast you are puffing. You have to smoke it very slowly. Nicotine level gets noticeable after two thirds of the bowl. I would say that this is a medium strength blend.

Room note is noticeable but not unpleasant. I don't get too much complaints when smoking this blend indoors.

Leaves nice gray ash with no gunk at all. Definitely recommended as a solid VA flake with excellent price/performance ratio.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Bruna straight billiard

cajun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cajun (11)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Strong

Yet another tobacco which seems to have changed somewhat over the years. I first smoked this when I was in the Royal Navy in the 70s as it was available to us duty free as part of our wages (if you know of any anti-tobacco campaigners please note this and refer them to it). As it was about the only offering available to us on board ship, it was tried by many, but often rejected in favour of the "blue liner" cigarettes which were also available as an alternative.

Having tried some recently I would submit that there is not much "original" about this blend, and I found it to be a fairly rough smoke prone to burn the tongue and mouth. Consequently I never finished the 50g tin.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Country Gent cob

Age When Smoked: straight from tin

Purchased From: Spanish tobacco shop

Roger Xavierq Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Roger Xavierq (33)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I love this flake! Capstan Original Navy Cut was my first VA flake and it didn't disappoint me. The flakes come in a very nice presentation and regular sizes, of bright colours and fresh grassy aroma. Easy to fold and stuff. I smoked couple of bowls using the rubbing out method, but I got less flavor using this method. It can smoke a bit hot if you, like myself, like to puff like a train, but otherwise is a cool smoke for a VA. I got my tin from Danish Pipe shop and I went through it very quickly. I know there are plenty of other VA flakes out there, but Capstan is quality stuff.

Edit 15/08/2015 It ages very well and turns even better and sweeter with time.

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the tin

Purchased From: Danish pipe shop

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (131)

Jorge Soler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jorge Soler (84)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

The tin note, as you open it, does not hit you as something out of the ordinary. It just smells like plain virginia tobacco (there is nothing special about it). The flakes are well presented and they're all pretty much the same length and width. As they contain a fair amount of Virginia gold leaf, they look rather light (brown) with visible gold spots. Virginia tobacco will in most cases burn hot in your bowl, but I haven't experienced any issues with this respect. In the nicotine department it seems to be rather mild and I haven't detected any flavouring at all (not that it is not in there somehow). As you light up your pipe, the taste is rather mild, but it seems to evolve quite nicely as you progress more and more with your smoke. I find this tobacco quite pleasing on the tongue and really satisfying as you pass it through your nose. As you enter your the 3/4 of your bowl, its virginia characteristics will start to show off. Despite its apparent sweetness and sugar content, I find this tobacco to be a slow burner. This is a virginia tobacco that will display all of its glory and splendour if you know how to approach it. That is to say this it is not recommended for newbies, virginia hatters or hard puffers.

Edit1: This is probably one of the best full virginia tobaccos I have ever tried so far. In terms of value for money, I believe this is one of the best options there is out there in the market. Pity they don't sell it in bulk.

Pipe Used: Bent Moretti

Age When Smoked: ?

Purchased From: Spain

Jose Ruiz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jose Ruiz (7)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Strong

I hope everyone's doing ok today, for your viewing enjoyment tonights review is on Mac Barens Capston Original Navy Cut the one in the blue can.

Pipe Used: M.M. freehand corn cob

Tin Size: 1.75 oz.

Tobacco: Virginia

Type: Pressed

Tin Aroma: Natural honey sweet aroma, nice Virginia leaf aroma.

Taste: Nicely aged Virginia that brings on the natural sweetness of the Virginia as the more you smoke it. Richly smooth smoke, some robustness.

Strength: Medium to Medium Full

Room Note: Full strength and lots of body

Notes: Nice pressed flakes, the aroma out of the tin was fantastic. It reminded me of natural honey comb sweetness, it comes from the aging of the Virginia leaf. I noticed it was a bit moist and can use some dry time. I had to dry it about 30-45 min for a better smoke. I used the bend and fold method which I think produced a better complexity compared to if you rubbed it out, but if you do rub it out you get a nicer robust flavor and a little less sweetness, fuller flavor. Only needed a few relights other than that it stayed lit, you need to smoke it slow and is better in a deeper bowl for me. Burned cool,long and produced more of a nice natural sweetness as you smoke it longer with a nice rich flavor and remained a medium flavor through out the smoke. I recommend it not a bad smoke at all. I rate this one a 2.75 out of 5

The Wife's Review:

This one was weird for me. When the hubby started it I got so little odor I had him come by me to smell it. The smoke wafting out of the bowl smelled icky gross like burning wet wood. The smoke emanating from him at first was non-existent in odor but it built up quickly like a freight train gaining speed. It went from, "are you smoking that?" to "holy crap are you done yet?" in about a minute flat. It wasn't the worst I've smelled by far but if you don't like creepers stay away. I could handle this one in the summer with the patio door open, or maybe once in a blue moon. It certainly wouldn't be my first choice.. and since it chased my neighbor out of the apartment.. it might be good for getting rid of guests you don't like (although I like them and was sorry to see them go).

Pipe Used: M.M. freehand corn cob

Purchased From: Sutliff

Nicotiana_rustica Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nicotiana_rustica (24)

Before some time i could easily say the best straight virginia out there is:::: SG Best brown flake !!

Sorry; for me not any more! To much "problems" with tobacco preparation; why on hell should i pay dam 12,5 EUR for moist flake (moist like somebody has urinated on it.....sorry Sam!) if the CAPSTAN BLUE is avaliable for 10,2 EUR!!!!!! Be fair and sell normal (dry) tobacco. Now- i just simply open my nice small tin, pack a pipe, 3-4 matches and THERE WE GO.....(without any preparation...drying, cutting, cubing etc....)

So; Capstan has quickly become my favourite all day virginia smoke. The flavor and aroma remind me on chestnuts and raisins. A little honey sweetness, especially on relights.... excellent plain tobacco flavor. I can smoke it all morning and still be game to smoke anything in the afternoon and evening, whether I decide to stick with straight Virginias all day, or switch to Virginia-Perique. Burns easily and stays lit with slow, gentle puffing.

I love this tobacco and will be cellaring as much of it as I can afford. Some days the CAPSTAN will turn to LEGEND.

meerschaum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerschaum (8)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I got this tobacco for free and wasn't sure about it at first, the packaging seemed to target another customer. However, it turned out that this was a nicely made tobacco. If you are looking for a complex tobacco this isn't it, I would describe it as a corse but agreeable, well balanced mixture with a few surprises and excellent burning properties.

Pipe Used: L´Anatra Scottanaso

PC Plod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PC Plod (59)

The first slice of this -- 10 weeks ago -- was certainly good, but in no way exceptional. The tin was abandoned with a feeling of disappointment at having paid such a premium for it.

However a recent second slice was a different matter entirely. Deliciously deep and mellow in flavour, and beautifully fragrant. In just 10 weeks the flakes had darkened noticeably.

Capstan has a unique character: sweet and refreshing. There's also an attractive aroma of roasted chestnuts given off by the burning tobacco. But I don't believe there's any burley present; the leaf is extremely mellow and smokes like a pure high-quality Virginia.

Solidly recommended.

Pipe Used: Stanwell No. 86

Purchased From: Online Vendor

Similar Blends: Newminster - No. 400 Superior Navy Flake.

xox51 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
xox51 (1)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I saw SP's sales ranking, see its noble price, since that is very good. Bought a taste, unfortunately, there is smoke ridge!!! Even as PS luxury sections of these cheap chips will not happen.

Taste, delicate, mellow, the price is generally.

Pipe Used: all

Pipe Beard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Beard (8)

Simply put, I do not go through tins of any other blend faster

Here are some additional words to hit the 25 word minimum :)

p.s. This is what Tolkien smoked

First reviewed under Original Navy Cut.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (168)

This is the second of the new McBaren version in flake form. My first bowl was unrubbed and a little too strong for my taste. This time, I rubbed out a flake and found it a little milder and more flavorful. Also easier to keep lit. Vey cool smoking with a gentle sweetness throughout the bowl. Like the Gold Navy Cut, it is a delicious smoke. The added red Virginias provide more depth of flavor than in the Gold. I can see why this is the more popular of the two. McBaren has done an excellent job with these two flakes.

This is probably the closest that I have come to a replacement for Dunhill Flake. But since I need to have it imported this saves me nothing. The taste is very close. Great natural virginia sweetness with a good nic content. Burns nice. I bought this while visiting the Danish Pipe shop in Copenhagen. Just in case anyone in the states is curious, they do import and they are a great shop.

I may or may not buy more, but since Dunhill Flake can be had so easily here, I likely won't.

Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

And another package from DanPipe hit my doorstep a couple of weeks ago. I had so far only tasted the Gold Navy Cut by Capstan, so this time I had ordered a tin of the Original.

The 'baccy comes in a very small tin that I normally associate with the more extremely pressed flakes like University or Irish Flake; inside there are actually layers of fold-and-twist slices that are fully the width of the tin, stacked horizontally. And folding/twisting works just fine straight from the tin.

The tin note is of good VA varieties -- some grassiness, some mature VA notes, and a spicy/sour topping that I cannot quite define; it is remeniscent of MacBaren's HH Aged VA, but far less obtrusive. Goes well with the leaf, though.

Lighting and maintenance are easy; a no-brainer for the VA flake smoker. The strength is pretty much even throughout the smoke, the room note typical VA with a bit of added spice (from the topping, no doubt), and the taste has enough variations over time to keep it interesting. As with all VAs, sip slowly and you shall enjoy.

Out of the large selection of pure VA flakes available, I count this among the top 10%; solidly recommended for the VA fan.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Shape 11

Age When Smoked: Fresh from new tin

Purchased From: Various

Similar Blends: Orlik Tobacco Company A/S - Richmond Navy Cut, Dan Tobacco - Kriswill Medium Navy Cut.

The main difference between Capstan "Medium" (or Original) and "Mild" (or Gold) is not the strength, as the name suggests, but the type of Virginias: while Capstan Mild is mostly (if not all) lemon leaf, Capstan Medium is a mix of lemon and red Virginias, the former being dominant. That gives Medium a bit more depth, more sweetness and less tang. It is a bit stronger, but other than that they're both quite similar. It won't replace FVF or HoTW in my regular rotation, but the quality tobaccos used here make are enough to give it 3/4.

Pipemanuk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipemanuk (76)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

This comprises two reviews really.....firstly the modern tin. Medium Navy Cut (which equates to Original Navy Cut) is a perfectly fine but bland flake. It's certainly a step up on the Mild, which I found to be thin in taste and harsh on the mouth, but otherwise it's unremarkable. The only way I can think to improve this is to put it away for a few years....and that leads me to the second review....

Fortune smiled on me recently and I was gifted with two round 2 ounce Capstan Full Navy Cut tins probably from the 1950's and a 2 ounce Medium Navy Cut tin from the 1930's. I've not opened the Full Navy Cut tins yet but I just couldn't resist opening the 1930's tin! The scent was very strong indeed...like a very old wine, almost a port. The tobacco was a broken flake, fairly dry and ready to smoke. To be honest it smelt so strong, you could almost just sit there breathing in the scent, but when I did light it I was greeted with wonderful clouds of smoke and the taste of alcoholic stewed dark fruits which lasted through the whole bowl. I imagine at something like 70 years old the tobacco has reached about as far as storage can take it....it's been such a privilage to have the chance to enjoy what must be a once in a lifetime opportunity. :-)

ThomK Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ThomK (3)

I have been a pipesmoker since the biginning of the sixties. Since then I have tried more then 30 difrent brands of tobacco and have came to the folloving resolt.

Capstan medium is not medium it is more mild then medium. In the good old days when it vas medium made by Inperial Tobacco Co in Liverpol in good ol England, it was a blessin. Today when made in Danmark it´s more tastless (soft) then before. I cant undersand why Inperial Tobacco accepts the change of this old and famos brand. My Regrets ThomK in Sweden.

Moçambicano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Moçambicano (13)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

A pure, strong, honest, high-quality Virginia flake. I'd love it, if VA happened to be among my favorite types of tobacco; but it isn't so ? my preferences go to Burley and aromatic types.

Piperpan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piperpan (9)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

After 1 tin of this tobacco, I can say that this is a good blend that could be better smoked with a "full stomach" (after lunch)due to its nicotine percentage. It burns very well in any kind of pipe. 2 stars.

gho Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gho (9)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

I decided to give Capstan a last chance and packed it into a clay, which I am smoking right now. First off, let me say, that the presentation and quality of the tobacco itself is quite good. The flake crumbles down nicely to consistent strips, packing is easy and there is nothing to be wished concerning burning characteristics.

What turns me off is the topping. To me, the tin smell is not very appetizing. While burning, the smoke carries a very distinctive falvour which reminds me of orange peel. Slightly sweet, slightly bitter. The taste will stay in the bowl for some time. If you like it, go for it. I didn't get the hang of it.

Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

A good, not spectacular, traditional British flake. No awkward flavorings like the ones found in St. Bruno, rather a nice Virginia taste from the start to the bottom. Good balance of sweet and sour, fruity taste: I might even be tempted to suggest the presence of a bit of perique and burley, but it might just be the particular kind of Virginia to give such impressions. Think of a McClelland tobacco like #22 but without the ketchup (and with some vague hints of Limerick), and you might have an idea. The flakes are very elastic and can be folded easily to pack the bowl: I feel, though, that the humidity level in a freshly opened tin is a bit too high. This results in a higher number of relights compared to other products like Full Virginia Flake, some wetness and some tonguebite. Nothing that can't be solved by some exposure to air of the flakes for drying before smoking. Anyway, the decent taste of the tobacco (though some off-notes can be detected once in a while, and it can be weak tasting compared to McClelland virginias) and the attractive price compared to similar products in Italy can be good reasons to cellar a few tins: beware that I tried the original light blue British tin, and that the new version made in Denmark is reported to be of inferior quality. One MORE reason to cellar some of the old while it still is in stock...

This is a nice medium level Virginia flake and is certainly much improved over its brother- Capstan Mild! This flake actually has some flavor and even a tiny bit of complexity. It's great in the morning with a good cup of English Breakfast tea. It doesn't bite and its aroma is a pleasure. This is what is so very wonderful about the diversity in pipe tobacco. A great tobacco for any situation! I had to order this from Synjeco in Switzerland, but sometimes it's worth the extra money to be a part of these sublimely perfect moments.

bumbum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bumbum (20)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

One of my favorite tobaccos for years. I've now shifted to Paul Olsen's "Plantagenet", but still smoke Capstan Medium (or Full) on occasion.

Gae Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gae (46)

As far as I'm concerned-the way this tobacco is described, is exactly what you get.And I go along with all that has been said in the "positive" review's before me. It's easily rubbed out & light's very easily.It give's me a nice uncomplicated smoke,but with a satisfying flavour & doesn't bite the tongue.It leaves my pipe nice & clean,with a nice lightly grey ash.In it's class I'll give it 3 star's out of 4.

canvas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
canvas (57)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Tolerable

I must confess I am not very familiar with Virginias. I recently finished a tin of Escudo Navy De Luxe and by the end of it, oddly found myself wanting to revisit the taste of hay I initially didn't connect with. While these may be two totally different beasts, to my limited exposure they fell into the same camp.

The Capstan flakes are huge and required one of my larger pipes to take it all in. The tin looked and felt quite nice in hand (as a side note) and held a golden sweet smell that reminds me of hay. It wasn't earthy or flecked with Eau de Manure. Lit well and maintained an acrid heavy smoke that was a new sensation for me.

For me it was harsh, but not bitter, had a mild sweetness and sipped well. I was not in love with it and prefered the Escudo Navy De Luxe for being smoother, but it does offer something without frills for when you just want to smoke and not pay attention to some specific flavor (as I do with Aromatics).

Review warning: I was suffering a toothache at the time and this may of altered my opinion.

The Sunday Evening Pipe Smoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Sunday Evening Pipe Smoker (15)

What drew me to this tobacco was that it was that which J.R.R. Tolkien smoked and I was curious to know what his tobacco experience was.

When I first popped the tin, what surprised me was that in addition to that usual grassy-hay sweetness you expect from Virginias, there was a very pronounced fruity, citrusy type of scent -- I am certain there must be some sort of topping to that affect. If there is / was, I cannot say that I've detected it in the tobacco as of yet.

At any rate, beyond the tin note, what I experienced in smoking this tobacco was pure, naturally sweet Virginia bliss. Prior to trying this I spent last weekend smoking F&T's Cut Virginia Plug and I'll have to say that Capstan Blue very much reminds me of that. In fact, I'd easily see the two as being interchangeable for me. CVP isn't always easy to get and this would suit me absolutely fine as I get a similar flavour profile from it.

Really just very enjoyable. Worth spending the bit of extra for it. Also the most perfectly formed flakes I have ever seen.

This is definitely one that I can see myself stocking up on.

Age When Smoked: Fresh from new tin

Similar Blends: F&T Cut Virginia Plug.

bayro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bayro (25)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Although I am not a big fan of flake tobaccos, this tobacco I smoked for the first time some thirty years ago, as a young smoker pipe. Then I was found very strong ( then I loved aromatics, which is normal!), so that at the time I was very disappointed. A few days ago I got this "new version" of Mac Baren and I was very pleasantly surprised! Yet more than thirty years of experience in the matter! This tobacco is a superb blend of several types of virginia. The first time, when they lit a pipe, is quite flat, but when smoking goes on, develops deep, high quality sweet aroma of superb Virginia! Tobacco for the all day, undemanding, with very pleasant room note! For each referral!

Pipe Used: old tanzanian meerschaum, Peterson, DMP,

Age When Smoked: october 2016.

Purchased From: Dreier, Graz, Austria

Similar Blends: Mac Baren, Virginia No. 1.

This shares a lot of the same qualities with Cap Gold. Similar flavor profile of hay, citrus and slightly darker fruit. This is a bit spicier and not as sweet. It's a little smoother than the Gold, in fact that's the first thing I noticed upon lighting. Both also maintain a consistent flavor with no fading, but evolve very little. This version has a little more strength. I like both equally and I'll rate them the same. 3.5 stars rounded up to 4. A very fine and enjoyable smoke.

Medium in body and taste. Flavoring is mild. Burns very well.

Pipe Used: MM Little Devil Cutty, Little Devil Acorn

point9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
point9 (113)

Before I try Capstan I heard about lots of good reviews. Upon opening the tin the presentation is neat, even light brown flake, and it's easy to work with. The strength is on the lighter side of medium, but the flavor develops as the bowl goes. It reminds me of Dunhill's Flake, clear and bright, with a little deeper tangy and never bites.

Alfonso Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alfonso (3)

Perfect flakes, ready to smoke folded or rubbed. As all Virginias, better if smoked slowly. Then it releases its sweetness and aromas. A very honest tobacco. Recommended.

pipedrum22 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipedrum22 (15)

I smoked this flake side by side with it's more mellow brother Capstan gold. Comparatively, it is a bit stronger and has less of a sweetness on the palate. I would say it is a bit stronger in nicotine, but not overwhelming at all. The subtle sweetness of the natural Virginias is extremely pleasant and enjoyable. I suggest sitting it out for 5 minutes or so before you smoke it so it can dry out and burn better, but other than that it folds, stuffs, and burns fairly easily. It is a mild smoke that you can put in a pipe and enjoy all day. Highly recommend this blend for every flake lover.

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (89)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a good flake. Easy to see why so many love it. It is simple and straightforward. The VA's have a light citrus and hay note that form the backbone of the smoke. The casing seems to be clearly tonquin bean and liquor of some sort. Odd that the reviews I have read (I have not read them all) have not commented on this too, so maybe it is just me. In any case it is a lightly scented flake that could be an all day blend except for the fact that after about 3 bowls my cheeks, not my tongue, are irritated. Because what you get with the first puff is all you are going to get out of this blend it is a great set it and forget it blend and works well while working from home.

Age When Smoked: 2 yrs old

raybrown55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
raybrown55 (21)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

It's my favourite straight-virginia. Mild at start, with a subtle honey taste (maybe a slight casing), its flavor becomes more and more full troughout the bowl, ending with a nutty hint in the last quarter. Burns slow even rubbed out and the smoke experience is fully satisfying from the start to the end. I'm cellaring some tins of this cause I guess it will age great.

Purchased From: Noli Tabacchi, Milano

Solle66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Solle66 (2)

Nothing special about this tobacco. Taste like cigarettes. Can not recommend it. However no tongue bite. Lights and keeps easily lit. Burns to white ash. Very over hyped tobacco!

John Georgiou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
John Georgiou (1)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Unnoticeable

This is the number one for me.I like so much straight virginias.This is my all day tobacco never let me down there is always in my cellar colection and this is my first priority.

Pipe Used: Rattray's Glory Days,Rattray's Sir William

Purchased From: The Pipe Shop Germany

Bluesmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluesmoke (75)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Capstan is a nicely constructed flake, but has a topping I don't much care for. The good news is that this medium strong flake does start to shine through the topping after mid bowl and shows its teeth some. Not too strong, not too soft, Capstan is full in body and gave me a good amount of smoke to chew on. Aside from the topping this would have been a 4 star winner.

Nicotiana_rustica Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nicotiana_rustica (24)

O'Confrère Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
O'Confrère (40)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This tin is from the early 90's made by "Imperial Tobacco Liverpool England." Tin note: dried figs! Dark, slightly moist flakes rub out into fine shag. Takes the match beautifully. First sips lightly fruity, soft, develops a moderate depth quickly and has a slightly peppery prickle, a prickle which makes you alter your puffing automatically. What an easy smoke! And forgiving! Used to smoke this frequently in the early nineties, and now I remember why. This was my go-to tobacco for televised football (soccer) matches at the pub, just fire it up and let it go. Never required too much attention, tasted great (like bright and red Virginia - with Burley? - not too much sauce), did not punish over-puffing (if the football match became involving), produced plenty of smoke, burned long and dry, went great with a pint (or pints), never elicited complaints from others, supplied a decent dose of nicotine, was readily available, and not too expensive.

Capstan Blue was not anything really special. It was just plain good; an easy choice at the time.

This was a solid three to four star flake back then. Even today's version, if you like Virginia flakes, is one you should not miss! It may be a solid four stars for you.

Age When Smoked: 20+ years

pipey duck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipey duck (22)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Simply the best,when it comes to a straight virginia! Never find out what kind of flavour used here, but it works amazingly. Perfekt in the nic-department also. A nice semi sweet and never biting cool smoke. I review a new tin and i am not sure who is the blender right now. 2 years ago it was made by orlik but i have heard it is made by mac baren now. Are all orliks made by mac baren now? Doesn t mind. Highly recommended

26/04/2015 Update I have to downgrde it because of the somewhat changed flavour which is used here. In thr current version i get bored afzer a half bowl. 10 years ago this was my benchmark when it comes to bold and simply virginiaflakes. Now it lacks on the perfekt virginia scent

Pipe Used: captain black bulldog

Purchased From: Pfeifen Timm Hamburg/ Germany

Joeray Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joeray (61)

This is really a great tobacco, I really love it since I open it for the first time. A little bit smell of citrus and a pleasant virginia really attractive me, also the view of the yellow golden flake is so beautiful.

To pack it, I just need to roll it slightly and then tamp it slowly. Is a very correct size to my Peterson full bent billiard so I don't need to rub it again. The 1st smoke is please me a lot, very sweet with a little bit citrus or fruity scent. The smoke is great, but at beginning, I'm enjoying a sweet smooth taste and without too much strength, this is makes the journey not too fast and boring.

After relight it, the fruity scent is getting little bit stronger. The strength is increasing but not too strong so it makes a very comfort smoke. Just a little bit kick but not make my head getting dizzy too much. Just a slow kick to give this blend an extra taste

I really enjoy this journey from the beginning till the end. Just a sweet pleasant smoke that's makes me always to smoke it again. This blend is very great, almost without any bite at my tongue so without doubt, I highly recommend this blend.

Pipe Used: Stanwell 163 Facet

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (123)

This might be the tastiest, most bite-free Virginia flake that I ever smoked. This is the new version made by MacBaren, and I like it a lot. More fruit-sweet than honey-sweet, this flake also burns well for effortless enjoyment.

Govern Yourself Accordingly.

Pipe Used: Radice Twin Bore Dublin

Purchased From: JR Cigars - Southfield, Mich

Steve Lewis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steve Lewis (5)

Middle of the road Virginia that is very enjoyable smoke. Nothing exciting but that's OK. One of my favorite Virginia blends is Dan Tobaccos Hamborger Veermaster which I would put in the same class with Capstan Blue. An easy to smoke consistent very pleasant Virginia with a sweet to semi-full smoke with a very nice room note. Occasionally I am asked what would be a good Virginia flake, as an introduction, and I usually direct them to Capstan Blue Flake.

Similar Blends: Dan Tobacco - Hamborger Veermaster.

Tplumm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tplumm (39)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is my first "full Virginia flake" style tobacco. I will admit that I bought this mainly as a Tolkien fan (don't judge). Having no prior experience with this style of tobacco, I waited till I smoked it 10-12 times and even mixed it with some left over Escudo at one point just to really try and get a good hold of what I had. Let me say first off, that I love the smell of this directly from the bowl, but if you walk up on someone smoking it, you think... Marlboro light! And consequently, that's the impression after you smoke it as well, in your clothes, hair, and aftertaste. After all though, remember that we are smoking... tobacco. I personally just find that one aspect rather unfortunate. Now on with the nuts and bolts; It is sweet. Naturally sweet, which is different if you are coming from syrup laden aromatics or relatively low sugar content heavy Lat blends. I catch the fig/prune taste others have described and also the hay/straw taste as well. It is not a complex smoke like so many English blends, but rather a... meat and potatoes blend? I find packing these works best completely rubbed out using the air pocket method(personal preference). lights well, good moisture level, but you don't want to fight with VAs to keep them lit, they'll bite. I just let mine go out and re-light if necessary, and practically keep it on the edge of going out most of the time, slowly sipping. I might buy this again, but for now I shall continue trying other VA flake blends just to see what's out there.

kaizoku Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kaizoku (12)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

a very nice sraight VA blend that does very well as a everyday smoke! subtile hints of figs, hay and some slightly sweet flavours i cant define.

cakeanddottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cakeanddottle (44)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a very enjoyable light Va flake. Toasted wheat bread notes with extremely vague but present whispers of honey. This is lighter fare than even MVF. It's a great warm weather smoke, and when your palate is on it's flat out delicious. Not a stockpile flake for me, but I will grab 15 or so tins to see what develops. Not a firm favorite, but a pleasing new to me blend.

puro66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puro66 (74)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This review is for the Capstan that was recently reintroduced to the U.S. market and is made by Mac Baren. Beautiful stacks of precisely cut flakes greet the eye immediately denoting a MacB product.

The flake is medium dark in color with more of a fig and prune aroma dominant and less hay forward. This is good for me as I prefer less of a hay smell. From the first light this tobacco had good flavor, no hard puffing was required to get taste. It packed great using the simple fold and twist method and burned very well. Perhaps there is a slight casing but it's subtle. It's also light to medium in nicotine (IMHO) which is a plus for me.

This was a very enjoyable smoke and surprising since most "Navy Flakes" don't work for me. My only knock on it is the price and I do feel bad citing that given what my fellow pipers around the globe must pay for tobacco, but...

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (155)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This flake does not fairly compare to full Navy Capstan of old, which was no doubt a light white burley and mainly Virginia mixed flake, with a hit of vanilla or almond or something else very light to give it just a little swetness. i would not look here for its twin, but....

However, this is a great, rich blend which to me stands out due to its burley fullness, indeed with a good base of Virginia in the flake. Tasty and cool.

Sort of half-way between SG's Full Virginia Flake and Solani's Aged Burley Flake. Natural tasting even if cased a bit.

Highly recommended to somone wanting a rich, no nonsense flake, but without the heavy hit (I hope) of something like Irish Flake (which I crave at times).

I also smoked a tin of the ready rubbed version. The Virginia clearly stands out more in this version. More of a bright and haylight smoke, still with some extra body but not as complex as Hal of the Wind. I liked the flake version better.

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (88)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

...a very nice tobacco indeed...in both flake and RR form, this and its (yellow)brother are examples of what a re-issue should be... Since I smoked the original (Imperial) back in the 1960's-80's, it has been a pleasant surprise to experience again this first rate tobacco.

I still have several tins of the original and have made some comparisons and find the new Orlik version quite suitable. Perhaps a nuance here and there that would separate the new vs old but frankly, almost "dead-on" in my book.

I enjoy straight Virginia, especially one that is not overly complex. This is a great down to earth smoke, with a taste and aroma that I'd put near the top of the scale. A must try for those who like a straight Virginia or for those who are open to experimenting with straight tobaccos.

...a pipe is to be savored...

Wiseguy1982 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wiseguy1982 (23)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Capstan Blue Ready Rubbed

Appearance - beautiful golden strands marbled with light brown

Tin Scent - slight figgy tones with a hint of grassy classic VA Fragrance

Texture - very well rubbed up, soft and very slightly moist

Packs very well, lights fairly easy

I knew that when I would smoke this that it was going to be very basic straightforward tobacco flavor. That's exactly what it was, very smooth, light and tasty. Everything a classic Virginia blend should be. No fake flavors, just an undying promise to deliver. This is like FVF, but nowhere near as fussy. I hate comparing tobaccos but in this case it fits. Except Capstan is better. I would bet a fair amount that if you rushed this, it would bite.

It is strange to smoke one bowl and instantly add it to your rotation, but it is perfect.

EDIT: I have already had to purchase another tin, which arrived on 9/10

mimefrog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mimefrog (5)

This is a review of the 2013 USA reissue of the "Original Navy Cut" flake purchased in June 2013. I cannot compare it to any of the earlier versions because I never smoked them.

VA flakes such as SG FVF have become my personal favorite smokes and Capstan Blue really delivers. I've worked my way through a full tin and I'm ready to say this is in my top 5. The tin note is the first hint that this is going to be great. It has a molasses smell that makes me drool. I find it wet enough out of the tin that the flakes should be dried before smoking. Otherwise it produced a far too wet smoke that reduced the flavor and enjoyment of this wonderful tobacco.

I have smoked it both folded/stuffed and rubbed out and I tend to prefer it rubbed. When properly prepared, it produces a sweet straightforward smoke characteristic of a pure VA but with a fair amount of nuance in the flavors. I taste a creaminess as well as a certain saltiness. Its never bitten me but I take VAs sort of slow and let it go out a few times per bowl. Retrohaling its thick, voluminous clouds brings a fine tickle to the sinuses but definitely doesn't make my eyes water. I'd say it tastes almost caramelized beyond the halfway mark and I look forward to reaching it, even though the first half is divine!

Patte Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Patte (8)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

This is the same tobacco as Capstan Medium Navy Cut.

A straight forward medium Virginia that has become my staple pipe tobacco. Not a complex smoke, but with a wonderful Virginia taste and some spiciness that tickles my nose.

Capstan has been made by Orlik for many years now, but something has changed. Last year they started using new tins with less then good seals, so once opened the tobacco dries out faster than before. And now it seems that Capstan has been discontinued by the Scandinavian Tobacco Group, and replaced by My Own Blend (in Sweden called "Blå Cap", and perhaps "Blue Cap" on other markets?). I haven't tried the My Own Blend version yet.

o3Ho3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
o3Ho3 (28)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

If you want V at his (almost) best this is the one for you. Not very enjoyable for nonsmoking ppl around. Highly recomended...

Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I had the privilege to smoke a 2 year aged tin of the pre ST Group era of Capstan, when the tin was still rectangular in its presentation. A friend of mine brought the ST Group version of capstan which strongly reminded me of orlik Golden Sliced both in the colour and the tin aroma of citrus and hay. The version I smoked smelled of figs, raisin and a slight smoky note that makes me suspect there might be some Ke into it. The flakes rubbed out extremely easy and were at the perfect humidity level, thus avoiding me to make it dry out prior to fill in the pipe. Smoking Capstan is a real charm. It will bite slightly upon the charring light but will not insist. It smoked remarkably well and brought forward the taste of figs, raisin, a slight plum like note as well as the famous smoky taste I was referring to earlier. Capstan reminded me enormously of the delicious Four Square Red VA flake that has been discontinued for years (sighs...). Unfortunately, I do not think the new version will match this one. I will not even attempt to try it as I have already tried Golden Sliced and can not say I truly enjoyed it.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (166)

The bigger brother of Gold Navy Cut. Nice, dry fruit smelling flakes that produce a beautiful blue smoke upon lighting. The taste is of a slightly cased Virginia Flake tobacco, slow burning and medium bodied. Tangy, sweet with some brioche-like accents once in a while especially if smoked slowly. The topping shows up once in a while as an very mild licorice note. A solid Danish style Virginia flake.

I'm a Virginia guy, that's for sure, and even though I've tried many interesting takes on this category of leaf the old blue Capstan simply can't be pushed out of my personal top 5.

I prefer the darker types, especially those with red Virginias in the front, and this one (being a golden/brownish composition) technically belongs in another category. But this one doesn't care about technicalities, it seems, and to me it acts more like one of its darker cousins than its obvious, blond sisters.

Meaty, complex, deep, yes, but surprisingly easy to deal with. Wonderful stuff. Only downside is the new square tins. I really liked the older rectangular ones better. Luckily I don't have to puff the tin.

Highly recommended!

Connoisseur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Connoisseur (33)

Capstan Medium Navy Cut is another of my all time favourites...smells good enough to eat right out of the tin. Simple, uncomplicated virginia tobaccos with a light raisin-like topping. Burns beautifully, with rich smooth body nut mild tangy flavour that's easy on the tongue. A good day time smoke enjoyed with a cup of English tea.

Brekken Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brekken (11)
Mild Very Mild Medium Tolerable

One of my very first tobaccos was Capstan Navy flake, it was in fact the second one i ever tried. And it was love from first puff. The tin aroma is indeed as sweet hay, reminds me of when i was a kid i used to go out on the fields with my uncle and grandpa. That wonderful smell of freshly cut hay a warm fall day in the field. This might be why i love it so much, nostalgia. The taste i cannot properly describe as i still am a quite new smoker, only 1,5 yrs with the briar now. But it tastes very pleasing smokes smooth and cool, no bite. As of the comment earlier of where to get this, i buy it in Sweden its sold in 50g tins and are hurtfully expensive, but still half the price it is here in Norway

fireball Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fireball (36)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

A good, clean, straight-ish, mild, pale Va flake with minimal topping in a handy little tin. Doesn't set my pants on fire but a reliable standby to have at hand epecially in hot weather when I just want a smoke.

Pipesrevisited Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipesrevisited (45)

Does not work for me. Maybe because of the Kentucky

2 stars because of the very practical tin that i now use for other tobaccoes

Update july 2011 Tin open for 6 months, and smoking this outside, it has wormed it't way into my favourite list.

Better, more consistent review to come after the summer

yinyang Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
yinyang (45)

A generous PSF forum member and friend supplied me with this in a trade. Masochist that I am, I couldn't resist a chance to try a blend that is all but impossible to source here in the colonies. My thanks to him for the chance to grumble yet again.

This is Irish Flake lite. There are differences(sweeter, possibly more of a topping, less oomph), but this is my take. To be sure, I find this to be a good thing...a blend that reminds me of one of my favorites, but doesn't kick like a mule with a grudge.

If it were easily procured, this would be a welcomed addition to my rotation, one that I think I could even smoke exclusively, heavens forbid. It cannot replace IF, but as a milder, less in your face rendition(again, my take), I should imagine it would get more than its fair shares worth of burn time.

0 stars for availability, 8 stars for my endorsement equals...

4 stars. (Funny how that math worked out.)

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (104)

I really like this one, it is a new tobacco for me since I've moved to Spain. It has taken me some time in my pipe smoking journey to get to the place where I can appreciate blends like this. These type of blends require the highest degree of attention and take the "art of pipe smoking" to it's highest heights. This tobacco is not for those who just want to light and go, very different from your american aromatics or your english blends with latakia. You don't want to go to town puffing on this one, no it requires a slow sipping technique, but once you get that down it opens up a whole new world of flavor in pipe smoking, and I feel like blends like this with their light sultry sweetness and their temperamental bite teach you to relax and take your time with the pipe, which is what it's all about. I love to lightly rub this one out or fold it and pack it loosely and just sip away, a slow smolder, lots of relights, but keeping this one on the edge of going out will keep you in heaven!

jynssen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jynssen (1)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I have been smoking pipe for more than 40 years.....started up with Macbaren....mixture...dark twist.....virginia.....after many years trying i started with Capstan......and have been smoking that in 25 years now......its the most complete tobacco for everyday smoking.. sometime i try ...just for fun another brand.......but very quick i am back on the Blue Capstan....there is two bad things i think....first.....its not good to light up the pipe again after it is cold......and second.....and the worst,,,,now they changed the tincan......and its so bad that the tobacco drys out very quick...its not sealed ok.....i smoke 3 - 4 cans a week......and after new can i am so tired of this....but the tobacco is still the best i ever smoked.....but like all navy cuts/flakes......dont rush...take the time to smoulder proper....then its like heaven...

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A classic tobacco I had ever tasted. Better late than never... I kept it closed in my “cellar” for about a year. So, I tried a quite matured Virginia flake tobacco, rich and sweet flavor, with perfect humidity that causes no tongue bite, with moderate nicotine power. I am under the impression that it has a very light fruit flavor, which makes it even more pleasant to smoke. Even towards the end of the bowl has no roughness, and leaves a very white ash. The aroma is not at all annoying. Fills easily the bowl, but be careful not to over-fill it because the flakes can expand and stuff the pipe. Lights and stays light easily. Ii left with the same positive impression as the Orlik Golden Slides.

cranziron Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cranziron (9)

This is a wonderful Virginia flake tobacco. A long, smooth, cool burning smoke that, in my opinion, is as good as Gawith Full Virginia Flake. A bit milder perhaps, but still very very good. Fully rubbed out I didn't get anywhere near a bite and the taste was consistent to the bottom of the bowl. An earlier reviewer felt FVF was more sophisticated, but my experience is just the opposite. As I mentioned before, FVF is fuller, but it was a bit harsher with my experience. I don't think any U.S. retailer stocks this but it can be gotten through tobaccoonline.co.uk and Dan Tobacco, Germany, but shipping makes it pretty expensive. I like this a lot-- 4 stars!

Patte Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Patte (8)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Capstan Medium/Original Navy Cut is a tobacco I always go back to after trying different brands. A straight forward Virginia blend, with probably spiced with a small amount of Perique. I'm smoking a bowl right now!

I remember my first tin back in the 1980's. It was a cool autumn evening at our summer home. Fog over the river, and dew started to form in the grass. I remember the fig and raisin smell from the tin, and how good the tobacco tasted.

I have smoked many tins over the years, and it's difficult to say if and how it has changed since the production moved to Denmark.

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (91)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This WAS my everyday tobacco until someone took it away from the American Market several years go. This tobacco tasted like sweet hay,and smelled like it. It was sweet Virginia goodness, smoky billows of yummy goodness. I would roll it up tight and rub it out completely. Ahhh the dreams of yesterday. Where oh where do you get this tobacco these days?

Update; It's back! I missed this flake tobacco a lot. After I waited for it to arive at my online retailer I ordered 4 tins. I couldn't wait to open one up. I opened the tin and broke the paper back, I wondered if the new producer had gotten the recipe right. They did it! It's the very same tobacco I used to enjoy! Mellow, malty, mellow, slightly tangy but smoothed over. Welcome back old frined.

Update:2016 Yes, Capstan is back and I must say it's the same recipe. I got both the flakes and the ready rubbed. The original only came in flakes but this new ready rubbed is outstanding! RR comes at just about the right moisture level and needs very little drying time. Packs easy and easy lighting. The mellow deep rounded flavor is as I remember it. Oh my goodness it's good to have this old standard back!

baldo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
baldo (1)

It is and it has been soince a long while one of my favourite flakes, a very good Dark Virginia one with good complexity, depth and a smoky notes comparable to the one you can taste in some Islay Scotch whisky. A good alter ego to SG FVF in my rotation.

Pipemanuk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipemanuk (76)

I am so confused by all the variants on the site for Capstan, but needless to say that this is a most pleasant, smooth flake with a depth of taste far far superior to it's yellow tinned brother Capstan Gold...I'd go so far as to say just buy this and don't bother with the Gold. This I understand was Tolkein's favourite flake and it's easy to see why: even in brand new tins the flakes have a maturity and a meltingly gentle smoke. If you store them for a few years you get an extra depth of wine like fruitiness. I've been lucky to smoke very old tins of this as well as new tins and I can unhesitatingly recommend it.

N7COF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
N7COF (56)

A delightfull flake tobacco a friend in EU included as a surprise. If it were available in the states I'd buy it by the case.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)

I was wondering if these flakes were the unrubbed version of the Capstan's Ready Rubbed pouch. No, they are not the same tobacco. These flakes packs and lights very easily. Offers a cool, delicious and long lasting smoke.

A nice choice for Va flake lovers for their daily smokes. I personally will have this little tin on my shelf regularly.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (170)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Quite long time from my last encounter with Capstan Medium (now Capstan Original) Navy cut. This is now happening since my nearest local tobacconist was displaying the last tin, I thought it was chance to grab it and review.

I don't detect any heavy changes between the older version (Imperial) and the current (Orlik) , thus CMNC remains one of my favourite classic flakes to keep in stable rotation. A true example of plain and uncomplicated medium Va, with the most discrete top dressing. Easy lighting and burning, cool and refreshing smoke.

And I do agree with Noorrmm's review back in 2002 in saying that it's a rewarding smoke both casually or contemplatively.

What keeps me from rating 4* is that it starts “really” too plain, the true game starting from the second third.

Steden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steden (93)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Original N.C. is exactly identical to the old Medium N.C., the name was changed to regulatory questions about the use of words such as: "Mild" or "Medium" for tobacco. For me confirm what I wrote in my review of Medium N.C. Whatever name it has I love it. I agree with both previous reviewers, who seem to have similar taste to my not only about this tobacco. The comparison proposed by Pseudo Nim between FVF and ONC is really interesting and witty.

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (102)

A beautiful, wonderful tobacco, one of my favourites. On opening the tin, one is presented with 2 x 3 inch flakes which are easily seperated, ranging in colours from lemon yellow to dark chestnut. I tend to lay mine out on a sheet of newspaper for 24 hours as their is a light topping (fruity ?) which soon dissipates and I am left with a superb virginia.

I tend to rub out my flakes, which means I have difficulty in packing a full flake into a Group 4, fold and stuff would be recommended for those who do not like to rub out.

So with two thirds of a flake in a Group 4 or a half flake in a Peterson No6, a single match and I'm greeted with a naturally sweet virginia, the topping is gone in the first quarter and a good honest tobacco is left, smoked slowly, this will not bite.

Smooth and sweet, with more body than FVF but perhaps a little more coarse. If FVF is for the Gentleman, Capstan is more for the outdoors type of man.

An excellent day time or evening smoke, now although I do not detect a range of notes, this is not a monochromatic tobacco by any means, it builds slowly in taste and flavour without becoming overpowering. A good nicotene content that is not agressive.

Burns down to a fine grey ash, I would place this in the Freibourg & Treyer's stable of cut plugs and virginia's

dk-piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dk-piper (25)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

tobacco Smell: Raisins, fruity sweet, sweet plums...all natural aroma-like very similar to ThreeNuns but sweeter and fruitier

appearance in tin: larger flakes neatly arranged on top of each other. more dark and some light stripes

Perfect moisture. Smoke is cool and smooth as silk. Just delightful. Little nuances of fruitiness, sweetness. Pure Freshness. This one beats MacBarens Navy Flake by knock out.

Wonderful Navy Flake!

try it!

Griswold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Griswold (17)

Capstan Medium Navy Cut is my 'default' Virginia tobacco and one of my all-time favorite tobaccos in general. I smoke more of it than all other Va.'s combined, and if I were forced to pick only one Va. tobacco to smoke for the rest of my life, Capstan would be it.

It has just the right amount of strength, a wonderful Va. flavor enhanced with just a hint of sweet topping, excellent burning qualities...what's not to like?

There are stronger tobaccos, there are tobaccos with more complex flavors, but IMO no other Va. flake is as well-rounded as Capstan.

In short: a true classic. If you like Va. flakes, try it at least once.

Steden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steden (93)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Oh, my friends ... you could say I'm a sentimental fool... But yes, this is the tobacco that "really" made me fall in love with the pipe! I must admit that objectively there are other better Virginias, but as noted dryfly11, CMNC is never boring and I can confirm having smoked a lot of tins. This tobacco has in its repertoire of all that a lover of the Virginias may ask: grass, hay, dried fruits, a natural fruity sweetness reminiscent of glycerol, a taste of malt biscuits. After smoking in the back of the palate flavor lasts a long time. The smell of biscuits and hay wafts light in air. A glass of Recioto di Soave or Strevi Passito match this Flake

dryfly11 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dryfly11 (8)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I've just finished a tin of 50 grams. The tobacco was aged for 4 years and I can tell you it's a great stuff!

I love Virginias and Latakia Blends. This one is a very smooth smoke without boring you. Some blends get boring after aging.

Smoking slowly and you get the reward of excellent flavour. Is it pure virginia? I cannot detect artificial flavour, but do I perceive Perique? Nobody mentioned it.

Highly recommended for Virginia aficionados!

N7COF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
N7COF (56)

I was surprised with a tin of this from DubInTheDam and I can see why he & others love this stuff. Very pleasantly falls between Peterson's University Flake & MacBaren's Navy Flake in its flavor & aroma. A milder version of UniFlake & a great tobacco that is well suited as a all day smoke.

I'd buy lots more if it were available in the states.

AlbinMattsson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AlbinMattsson (2)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

A beautiful flake with a strong scent of fig, a little bit wet but still beautiful. It grinds perfect in the hands. It is easy to pack and lights even more easily. What is keeping me from giving this wonderful tobacco four stars is that it has a little bit to fruity taste.

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (102)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

At Last I had the pleasure of smoking the flake, purchased in Germany, as opposed to the ready rubbed available here in England, what a difference, the RR looked, felt and smelled like cheap han rolling tobacco, where as the flake was a world apart.

My only complaint being that it did burn somewhat hot in the bowl, not quite asbestos gloves time, but not far off. I'm unsure of any toppings, although I am sure they are there, this is most likely due to my poor sense of smell, but then, I'm more interested in the taste, after all, what use a wonderful smelling tobacco if it tastes like dogs vomit, (which has a distinct buiscuity flavour and poor burning qualities I might add) IMHO Capstan Medium simply tastes like a good quality Virginia, a good daytime to early evening smoke.

Towards the end of the day though, I go looking for inspiration from Sammuel Gawith Navy Flake or FVF or maybe Gawith & Hoggarth Bobs BB No 2

Still, Capstan Medium, 4 Stars.

stieltje Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
stieltje (14)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Now smoking my fifth tin of this blend, I think I can do a good review, for clarification, it is the light blue tin of Capstan Original Navy cut, made by Orlik under Licence of Imperial Tobacco Ltd.

This is the flake that led me into virginia flakes in the first place, telling the tale of how sweet a tobacco can be, and that there is a great difference when it comes to flakes VS ribbon cut tobaccos.

the tin aroma is kind of sweet, fresh fruity smell, a tad of honey as well. The flakes are as wide as the tin, and not really thick. Easy to fold, and there is no extra stiffness at the edges, as there might be in other flakes. The color is lightly brown with some golden streaks.

The thinn soft flake is easy to fold, sometimes I roll it a bit between my thumb and index finger, to give a torpedo like shape before putting it into the pipe.

It lights easy, maybe a bit too easy, the first few puffs can be quite hot before tamping and slowing down. Carefully smoked, it is sweet and mellow, not alot of nicotine, sometimes an slight earthy tone is present, and this is a nice thing, keeping it from being overly sweet.

The smoke is consistent all through the pipe, giving a fine white ash. A freshly opened tin might, sometimes, give a bit of gurgles. Not to overly moist like penzance thoguh.

Room note: the room note does not scare off the spousal unit from the living room

The lack of nicotine is, to me, the major flaw, I can smoke Irish Flake in the morning, even before my morning coffee, without feeling any nicotine hit, this makes me still want to smoke even more, even though I just spent 40 minutes with my pipe.

Compared to SG - FVF, or another favorite: Solani - Silver Flake, this is kind of meek, therefore the 3 stars, it is good, but there are better alternatives at hand.

Quoll Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Quoll (17)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

To be clear, I am reviewing Capstan Navy Cut Ready Rubbed as sold in a pale blue pouch in UK newsagents. It is a very easy tobacco to find in the UK. Not at all sure if this is the same one as others have reviewed here. I can't find the Flake anywhere. The tag line 'A medium to mild blend of carefully selected Virginia tobaccos with a natural aroma enhanced by a subtle flavour' is the same though.

The cut is virtually shag. Very thin ribbons of bright, light Virginia that looks and smells very like cigarette tobacco. Not very promising really. But I have found this is one I go back to regularly. It is just an easy stand-by. It lights and smokes very simply. The taste is pure Virginia - sweetness and brightness. It will bite if you really try and it will burn too fast if you puff like mad, but most of the time it is just a reliable uncomplicated smoke. The strength is much higher than the appearance of the tobacco would suggest. This is often a 'have a rest in the middle' tobacco for me.

Nothing special, but a repeat buy for me and it does the job. 3 stars.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

When I first started smoking a pipe -in 1964 - the variety of tobaccos available to me was limited to a few heavily cased and highly moist tobaccos, infrequent tins of Three Nuns, an English style scented flake called Prince Henry, and Wills and Capstan flakes. Both the latter were made by WD & HO Wills. They came in two presentations, a fine cut for rolling cigarettes and a flake cut for putting into pipes. The capstan, in a blue pouch containing a sealed gold foil inside was definitely the better of the two, though the default choice was Prince Henry. That experience kept me from ever trying the Capstan Flakes elsewhere.

After reading reviews on this site I decided to give the trademark another try. What a revelation it has been! This is a delicious tobacco for any time of the day, in any pipe, with any beverage. Sweet and nutty, it reminds me most of the richness of Cut Blended Plug by Fribourg and Treyer. It has a dark, coarse ash often found in blends containing some perique or cavendish or both, and I would not be surprised if I was told that the blend contained one of the two, or both, in some measure.

I thought the social contract behind trademarks was that goods bearing the same trademark would be of exactly the same quality everywhere: it would appear it is not the case.

hagen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hagen (91)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

UPDATE: i've been informed on smokersforums.com that this blend does not contain burley. quite surprising, really! END UPDATE

of course, this is not quite the tobacco it used to be in the days when it was made by will's, and neither is it as good as when it was made by imperial. some 20 years ago it used to be almost full strength, fig-smelling, dark brown, sour-nutty-sweet. now it's mild-medium, citrusy, medium brown, with no sourness and some nutty sweetness. but still, it is a decent enough virginia tobacco (with a touch of burley), considering that it's made in denmark by orlik.

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

In choosing which Straight Virginia I would take to the proverbial desert island, I would be torn between this one and Sam Gawiths FVF. This is a wonderful Virginia flake, with beautuful presentation. One of the few flakes I can smoke a little moist without any bite. A sweet grassy/hay flavor which is nothing short of delightful. Flavor intensifies a bit as it goes down, but never bitter. Nicotine is satisfing....I love to take this flake in a bulldog for long walks as it takes very little attenton- It just gives good flavor..... Well recomended. Only 3 stars as its hard to get being only sold in the EU.

traveler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
traveler (40)

I've been smoking a tin of Capstan Navy Flake (at least I think it's the same stuff) by Imperial that is made in Denmark but now comes in a blue tin that I bought in Barcelona in one of the ubiquitous TABAC stores.

Not a complicated tobacco, but an honest, high quality, medium Virginia flake. It is a bit damp in the tin but smokes sweet with little residue even in that condition.

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (95)
Medium Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant

My first foray with the famed Capstan house. My (one) tin was blended by Imperial and I have not tried the Danish offering. I am too young to harken back to the days of old with nostalgia brimming in my eyes, so it seems fair to say that I was somewhat underwhelmed by this tobacco. It is tasty and serviceable but does nothing spectacular. Yet, perhaps one should not ask for more than consistency and good manners from such a classic. I enjoyed my tin and, occasion occuring, would purchase more.

3 stars upon trust of what the British version of this truly legendary flake used to be. Now it's made in Denmark and don't know how does it taste. It's plain, good virginias, with just a little flavour of dried fruits, nothing else. It packs well, smokes cool and dry if you leave it on the air for a while. Maybe a bit too "normal", but it's the standard against which you judge every Virginia flake. A Classic.

Jakob Kiilerich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jakob Kiilerich (120)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

An old classic. It is sold anywhere here in Denmark, and Capstan is what i buy when I am out of my favourites.

Dark, pungent and fruity (dried fruit) with hints of well.. Just plain old, good quality matured VA. It is way better than Yellow Capstan and much more complex. The nicotine-level is satisfying and it does not burn at all.

I have not tried it aged yet, but it is very nice fresh. A little drying should be necessary; It is a little too wet, straight out of the tin.

I like to smoke it in the evening, together with a nice cup of hot strong coffee..

One of the Patriarchs of VA-flakes

======= Update, June 14 - 2004=================

Blue Capstan is growing on me. The past 10 days I have been puffing it all day long. It will never burn and can easily be smoked on mornings as well as evenings.. Gets better and better!

Jakob Kiilerich, Denmark

LoisKelly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LoisKelly (55)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

God, do I miss this stuff. It's far from the best flake I've encountered, but it's just so damned yummy. Dunhill's Light Flake looks like it, but lacks the sweet, zippy taste. My substitute du jour for this legendary blend is Fribourg & Treyer's Cut Virginia Plug. It's a most worthy alternative that is perhaps even better qualitatively, but this 8yo tin of Capstan I'm sampling is awfully hard to beat.

Basking in the sunshine of a bygone afternoon.........

provguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
provguy (52)

The tin is actually blue of this Capstan Medium. It is a lovely blend of Virginia tobacco. It has a longstanding reputation and is favored by many a pipe lover as noted from the reviews above. I have tried only 1 bowl so far and feel compelled to write a review even though I cannot say very much about it. It was a little hard to get going after several lights. Lovely flavor and will continue smoking this until my tin is used up. Which means I like the stuff although my socks are still on my feet. I will return to update later. ==update== It is now about 3 weeks since the above review and I have not changed my opinion. It is a very good virginia blend and is growing on me. I seem to enjoy it mostly in the morning with some espresso. Because of the nature and cost to procure this tobacco I will not likely purchase any more, however.It is not available in the US of A.

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)

Ok, I lied I don't smoke this everyday,BECAUSE IT'S NOT SOLD IN THE U.S. ANYMORE! @^%&(*&^&%#$ Please, please bring this back to the U.S. and quit punishing us inocent pipe smokers. This (IMO) is the worlds best Virginia flake. I know there are lots of Virginia flake adicts who would agree. Mild,wonderful Virginia, cut into long rectangular strips, and naturaly sweet.Burns so good and long,and tastes oh so good...Please bring this back to the United States.