On the back of the 1977-2O17 release is written "Specialists with Virginian and Oriental leaf."

Once you remove the blue wax seal and paper wrapping you find the following product description: "An elegant Matured Virginia ribbon-cut blend, naturally sweet with that clarity of flavour possessed only by the best Virginias. Seasoned lightly with fine, cool smoking Cyprian Latakia. Aged for months to mellow."

Notes: Notes: Originally released in 2002 to commemorate 25 years of quality tobacco manufacturing, a total of 3000 tins were issued wrapped in commemorative ecru paper with a red wax seal. A second issue, bearing a green wax seal and an updated date span on the paper wrapping (1977-2005), was released in 2005. A third issue, bearing a (brownish) natural wax seal and updated date span (1977-2010), was released in 2010. This fourth issue released in 2017 bears a blue wax seal and the dates listed are 1977-2017.

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Manufactured ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Blend TypeVirginia/Latakia
ContentsLatakia, Virginia
Strength
Taste
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable
JimInks (2058)

Though review pertains to the current version, I found no differences between it and the earlier versions, so I am basically repeating the review here. The Cyprian latakia is smoky, woodsy sweet and is mostly a condiment. Sometimes, it's more obvious than it is at other times. The Virginias seem to be red and stoved, offering some sweet fruit (dark and citrus with a mild fermentation), a little earth, slight grassiness and a touch of spice. It has the familiar "vinegar" smell you expect from a McClelland Virginia blend, but that taste doesn't linger throughout the smoke, nor does it mitigate the flavor nuances. The nic-hit is just past the mild level. Won't bite or get harsh and is a cool smoke. Burns slightly less than moderately, and requires some relights, and burns just a little moist. Sometimes, it will leave a little dottle, other times not, so I recommend a light dry time. Has a very pleasing after taste, and I never heard a complaint about the room note. Not quite an all day smoke, unless you're a McClelland aficionado who's addicted to this company's blends.

hevikevi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hevikevi (3)

The tin note is quite Latakia-forward. Reminds me a lot of Old Dog, which is the only other blend I've tried reminiscent of this nose—which incidentally comes from the same blender, so no surprise there. Presumably these are the same Virginias and Latakia, but more straight-forward though, without the Cavendish and Orientals. No McClelland ketchup scent at all to my nose. Also no surprise: the VA is excellent here; gently sweet, no bite. Nice moisture out of the tin. Can be smoked right away, straight down the bowl with no relights, tamping occasionally.

This blend really filled a niche for me, which is a straight ahead, smooth-smoking VA with enough Latakia to compliment the winter months, but not complex like the Balkans and English Blends I regularly smoke (so, a nice break), not overly mild like the aros I've tried (which I rarely smoke), and not in the least bitey, like some VAs and VaPers I've tried, which I will refrain from naming. I don't have anything else in my cellar with these components, so I have nothing to directly compare it to. More research required, it would seem.

My general impression of this smoke is that it's easy-going, delicious, sweet, present (not overly mild), pleasant and satisfying (it contains a moderate amount of vitamin N.) Happy days.

Bought two tins for cellaring, but I went ahead and opened one because I thought it might be what I was craving, and it was.

Pipe Used: Savinelli 614 (Oom Paul) first bowl in new pipe

Age When Smoked: a couple of months

Purchased From: 4noggins.com

FreePancakesForAll Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FreePancakesForAll (3)

For the record, every time I smoke 5100 I say to myself "I wish this had a pinch of latakia in it." So I was quite excited to find that both the appearance and the tin note are very reminiscent of McClelland 5100 with a hearty pinch of latakia dropped in. The colors run the gamut of deep red and tan virginias with the speckling of jet black latakia. Moisture content is perfect: ready to smoke right out of the tin.

The blend starts out very red virginia dominant for me. Sweet, complex, and sour with the signature McClelland vinegar (which I love). The latakia is condimental. Some puffs it's very forward, some puffs it's just lingering in the undertones. But it perfectly weaves in and out throughout to keep the smoke interesting. Compared to the 2010 Anniversary release, I find this to be slightly more sour and tart. It could be the leaf or it could just be the young age. I'm quite excited to crack another tin in 5 years or so.

Overall, this is an extremely satisfying smoke now. It scratches that itch when I'm not quite sure whether I want a virginia or an english. There's no doubt that with some age on it this will be a 4 star blend for me.

Similar Blends: It has a similar tin note and almost similar taste of SPC Mississippi River. Sort of like a Mississippi River but with a little less noise..

crazy owl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
crazy owl (70)

I write about the tin with dark blue wax seal.The date says 9 20 17.That´s the future,today is 2 25 17.Well let´s go,ribbon cut,fine Mc Clelland Va. with little or nothing vinegar smell.Certainly more than a pinch of Latakia.Very good quality but not outstanding comparing with other McC master pieces like Samovar,Wilderness,...and so many.Worth to try but not so good for repeat or cellaring.With a oriental touch would be Samovar.AlwaysIMHO.

Pipe Used: meers &briars

Purchased From: smokingpipes

Similar Blends: Samovar without orientals..