Drexel VIII is a superior flake of flue-cured Virginia spiced with perique, pressed into blocks, and then sliced.

BrandScandinavian Tobacco Group (STG)
Blended ByScandinavian Tobacco Group)
Manufactured ByScandinavian Tobacco Group
Blend TypeVirginia/Perique
ContentsPerique, Virginia
Packaging1.5 ounce pouch
Strength
Taste

2.6
Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Scandinavian Tobacco Group (STG) - Drexel VIII.

Having been smoking Sutliff African Queen #500 this morning, which thoroughly disgusted me, I wanted something simple and no-messing to 'cleanse' myself with; this did the job perfectly!

I was expecting the pouch to contain long strips of flake but when I lifted the flap I found two neat stacks. They're about 5x3 centimetres and fairly thin. The colour's a medium brown with a high quantity of yellow mottles and the nose from the pouch is a straight forward uncased one.

I really like the flavour: there's lots of plummy, spicy Perique, with only a smidgen of Virginia freshness. The Perique easily domineers the smoke. In fact, the flavour of it becomes a lot stronger as the bowl's smoked. The burn can't be faulted, and the temperature's below medium. I get no tongue bite from this, whether I strain or sip.

The nicotine's medium, and the room-note's nice.

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Peterson Kinsale XL 12 P'Lip

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

The base of the blend is the flue cured Virginia, which offers some citrus, a bit of grass, and a couple drops of honey. In between playing a support role and being just more than a condiment is the raisiny, lightly figgy and plummy, very mildly spicy perique. The nic-hit is mild. The taste is a step past mild, while the strength level sits squarely on that threshold. Won’t bite or get harsh even when pushed, though it does have a very slight acidic note. Burns cool, clean, and slightly slow with a very consistent flavor to the finish. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires a few relights. Has a pleasant, short lived after taste. It does lack a little depth, but serves well as an all day work and play smoke. Two and a half stars.

-JimInks

I got this as a free pouch with the P&C ISPD promo. The flakes came very dry because the pouch is not sealed. The first bowl was smoked as delivered, but then I hydrated it a little. It is a better smoke when not so dry.

This is in the same class as LNF or OGS. The perique is a light touch, and there is less citrus than OGS. The taste is a little less "bright" than LNF. There is a little plum from the perique and some hay with a slightly heavier sweet from the Virginia that either of the others.

This is easy to recommend. For a flake, it comes at a very attractive price point (even when it is not a freebie), and it is an easy smoke.

truculentfrogs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
truculentfrogs (10)

No pretense. As simple & straight forward as SWR, which despite no burley, it reminds me of . . .i.e. a tad rough (in a good way) and nic on low side of medium. Why no sticky seal is a bit of a mystery. That made 1st pouch immediately smokeable, but when I got around to the 2nd, a button disc used overnight was required. Attractively priced & worth trying. You risk no more than being underwhelmed, but will certainly find it smokeable. Makes an interesting flake parfait with 1/3 Heinrich Special Curly atop 2/3 VIII.

Pipe Used: briar, meer & cob

Age When Smoked: from pouch

Purchased From: SP

This is a pretty good VaPer. A little grass and citrus, some earth and a fair sweetness from the Virginias. Tart figs and plums with ample spice from the Perique. The fruitiness fades a little in the second half replaced by a little more earth. A satisfying smoke.

Mild to medium in body and taste. No added flavoring. Burns very well.

Pipe Used: MM Little Devil Cutty, Little Devil Acorn, Marcus

Heard horror stories about how powerful Perique is, but also a bit intrigued about what this thing called a VA/Per is and wanting to move away from aros or codger blends? This might be the intro VA/Per to try. The VAs are mild and fairly balanced with perhaps a bit of a sweeter cure or a touch of sweet casing (but not overtly changing the flavor profile), the Perique is lightly applied, giving just a bit of spice. Those who prefer just enough VA in their Perique to hold it together would probably not care for it, but certainly worth a try for most others, although, like JimInks, I did notice a bit of acidity, especially in the last 1/3 of a bowl.

Pipe Used: briars, cobs, and meers

wintermute Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wintermute (61)
Extremely Mild None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

First of all, lest me say that I am more of a Burley fan and smoke a lot of aromatics. Typically, I usually give these Virginia based blends rather lack-luster reviews. This, I am afraid, is no exception. The aroma from the pouch is of natural tobacco and it arrived a little dry for my taste. After hydration, the flake was easy to rub out and pack. It takes a light well and does provide a fair amount of smoke. The taste is very mild and I did find myself puffing with greater vigor to get more flavor. Even with that, there was no tongue bite. I got almost no plum taste from the Perique. I am used to lighting my pipe only twice, but this required several. I am willing to admit user-error, however. towards the end of the bowl, I did get a little more spice. The flavor stayed consistent throughout the bowl. The ash was fine. The bowl was left moist, but that was probably due to the excessive puffing on my part to get flavor. The nicotine level seemed a little low to me. There was no after taste and the room note will not win any friends. The room note is not bad, but unless your friends enjoy the smell of natural tobacco, they will not be won over. Maybe this genre is not my thing, but if I were out of tobacco and needed to pick up a pouch, I would probably choose something else; this is a little bland when there are many options.

Pipe Used: MM Huck Finn

Similar Blends: Mac Barren Virginia Flake No 1, Escudo, Sail Yellow.

DeathMetal.org Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeathMetal.org (125)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Summary: not quite a breakfast cereal Va/Per, but soft Virginia flakes with mild Perique and a coconut topping along the lines of Peter Stokkebye "Luxury Navy Flake."

Upon opening the packet, one finds a stack of soft, sweet-smelling flakes. The coconut topping wafts upward. First light brings out the Virginia sweetness which has been made mild with a coconut topping, eliminating much of the natural variation. The Perique manifests as a slightly piquant fruity flavor melding quickly into the Virginias. As the bowl burns down, a syrup-like flavor appears from the melting Virginias, topping, and denatured Perique. It has a bit of bite, little nicotine, and while an easy smoke, remains an uninteresting one. There is nothing wrong with this blend but nothing to particularly recommend it either, but if you want a sweet but not cloying all-day smoke, this semi-aromatic will do.

Similar Blends: Peter Stokkebye - Luxury Navy Flake, Newminster - No. 403 Superior Round Slices, Peter Stokkebye - Luxury Bullseye Flake (No. 403).

JohnnyThousand Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyThousand (4)

This is an easy and cool smile that required a few re-lights. I’m relatively new to VaPers but I thoroughly enjoyed the notes of spice and tangy citrus that seemed to strengthen the more I smoked. Maybe it’s me, but I got the s smallest hint of cocoa. The pouch note is grassy and quite honest, not that appealing to me. However, it tastes better than it smells out of the pouch. I rubbed it out before packing. Nice morning smoke with coffee. Could be an all-day smoker. I’d actually buy this — it was a freebie from the IPSD goodie box from pipes&cigars.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Venere w balsa filter

Age When Smoked: jarred a couple weeks

Purchased From: PipesAndCigars.com

Mosessupposes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mosessupposes (11)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

A very pleasant vaper at a reasonable price, probably because it's USA made by a large company. I don't taste much perique, but even so it's to my liking. Smokes cool with no bite. Recommended.

Pipe Used: Radford

Age When Smoked: Just purchased

Purchased From: Smokingpipes

Similar Blends: Many mild Virginias and vapers..

Seedun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Seedun (4)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

To my taste this is Orlik Golden Sliced. Has the same bergamot/lavender flavor and citrusy dry finish. Did not notice any perique flavor.

Quality of my pouch was good.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Lumberman

Mork Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mork (36)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Overwhelming

When I folded and stuffed the perfect flake into my favorite pipe, I was nervous. My hand trembled at the thought of the joy, or disaster, I was about to experience. This was, of course, the Great Meme Tobacco of 2018. P&C's finest.

It took the light well. No need to dry, it came perfect for smoking. The first draw was... magnificent. Like freshly mown hay on a perfect summer's day. The gentle hints of fig and plum filled my nose, a soft sweetness dripping with each sip. It burned cool and clean to the heel.

Honestly, I was taken back to a summer of my youth when I was free from worries or knew the pangs of regret. Before the cares of the world bore down upon me without shame or relief. It felt like I was running free in a field in the Catskill Mountains again, my great-grandfather watching me from the porch of the fishing cabin.

A glorious smoke, one to be savored and enjoyed.

At least that was what I was hoping for.

I was transported in a sense memory, for certain. It took me back to being 18 years old, my first winter in college on the great lakes. A massive blizzard had hit and I was in the passenger seat of my girlfriend's beater of a car. You know the one, some hand me down that her dad fixed up and barely ran, had to put oil in it all the time. Broken gas gauge. We were pretty much broke and trying to find some cigarettes to smoke. I reached around under the seat and fished out a pack with one left in it; she had clearly left the pack there for months, if not years. The nail was dry and acrid. We lit it up and split that cigarette while she drove through the horrible blizzard having some stupid fight. Drexel tastes just like that shitty cigarette. It burns hot and leaves this terrifying aftertaste (I can actually still smell it). Easily the worst tobacco I have put in a pipe. I would rather smoke tree bark, at least that might have some campfire notes. And, if I ever want to relive being broke, angry, and 18, I know where to turn.

Olivermac Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Olivermac (6)

I have been getting a lot of this free from p&c every time I order from them lately. I say, keep it coming. It comes to me on the dryer side due to its being in a pouch and not a tin, but not so dry that it turns to dust when you break it up. I truly enjoy this one.

Pipe Used: Various mm cobs and assorted briars

Purchased From: P&c

michaelc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
michaelc (40)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I purchased this from cupojoes.com from their clearance section. The price was very good so I bit and bought a pouch. When it arrived the tobacco was very dry. It was a year and a half old from the date of packaging. It had a grassy hay like smell in the pouch. Filled a bowl and it lit easily. It smoked slowly with no bite. It tasted of citrus with plum spiciness from the Perique. I was surprised to find flakes in the pouch. They were perfect and thinly sliced. I liked this so much that I purchased six more pouches. These I jarred and hydrated for future smoking.

Pipe Used: Several briars

Age When Smoked: 1 1/2 years

Purchased From: cupojoes.com

Similar Blends: PS LNF.

canvas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
canvas (148)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Tolerable

I got a pouch of Drexel 7 in my National Pipe Day goodie bag from P&C (great promo btw), so I had zero expectation of the product. A few months after Pipe Day (whenever it actually was), I decided to properly celebrate with my Pipe Day swag bag (the corn cob pipe, mini tamper, book, and included tobacco).

I sat down with the book on pipes (a good read, though slanted towards Stanwell products) and cracked the seal on the pouch. I was very surprised to find flakes inside as I don't associate them with pouch tobaccos. The contents had a fine sweet Virginia hay aroma with perhaps some added topping to sweeten it up.

The cut was so precise you could use these flakes for a ruler (machine made and exacting), they were also wafer thin and quite dry. Rubbing them out sucked as they had no body and immediately broke down. The lack of much moisture sparked a cherry quickly, yet it didn't burn excessivly hot, it did however give off a dry "chokey" smoke. The flavor was almost tart and without any country-time barnyard taste I would want from a Virginia.

Ultimately it was not a good smoke (1.5 stars), though for what I assume was a bargain product, I was impressed with it being a flake and not a lazy ribbon cut (so it gets a .5 star nod).