Notes: Previously produced by Faber, Coe and Gregg (USA)

BrandReymer & Brothers
Blended ByFaber, Coe and Gregg
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Virginia
Strength
Taste
2.7

I was gifted a couple of ounces of the original Coe blend. The appearance was of broken burley chopped flake - not exactly cubed - and "fish flakes" of bright Virginia. The pouch smells very slightly of latakia and a slightly sweet something.

The first half of the bowl tastes like toasted burley with a very mild topping that I can't quite identify. Maybe it is citron, but it is hard to catch. The bowl comes into its own in the second half with more depth and body. It is a fairly full and slightly sweet burley, and I can't identify latakia in the taste, but it must be contributing to the depth. It the last fourth of the bowl, I think I caught a whiff of latakia and a slight bitterness from the burley

The blend is a very pleasant one, and I can understand that it would have its fans. It is a much more nuanced smoke than anything available OTC today. This is a solid 3 on the rating scale. I may try the match to see if they have gotten it right.

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Finished off a batch from a very old tin - I pull out 2 or 3 oz at a time and mason jar the rest but I wish I had kept the can... anyway, I bought the can in 1994 but I think it was pretty old when I bought it. I'm guessing this stuff is in the neighborhood of 20 years old. Faber, Coe & Gregg tin.

Within today's realm of pipe tobacco blends, this one suffers a bit. But as far as "drugstore" American burleys, this one is pretty good. I put it ahead of Prince Albert, head and shoulders above Carter Hall and Granger, and in another dimension from Half & Half. But this one also has a bit of latakia in it so it should be compared to blends like Revelation and Country Doctor. Unfortunately, I've never smoked those two. I was mostly referring to my view of overall tobacco quality, and this one appears to be of a higher quality than your basic drugstore stuff.

It's a decent enough smoke and burns well. I rarely needed a relight. It does leave one hell of a ghost, though, so I gave this its own MM cob, where it performed very nicely. Not sure if this stuff is around any longer but it would be a good one to try if you like a fairly mild latakia blend with some body to it. I've ordered an Altadis "mimic" blend of this to see how it compares, as its the best low cost tobacco I've ever smoked... which isn't saying a whole lot but at the same time IS saying a lot.

Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

My cellar seems to have the right humidity for storing my pipe tobacco - by nature's doing, not my own. I have a 20+ year old can of Brindley's Mixture with the Faber, Coe and Gregg distribution label. The can has the older metal top lid with the lever opening. My tobaccos are either in a Pine wood cabinet (smells great after storing various tobaccos for over 33 years) or a drawer of similar wood.

After purchasing the tin 20 years or so ago, I wasn't a big fan of Latakia. I purchased it on the recommendation of someone who said, "If you like Captain Black, you'll like this." How many times have you received, and acted on a similar recommendation only to say, "No way!" Well, since at the time I wasn't ready to join "Club Latakia," I smoked very little of the tobacco. After reading reviews of this blend, I decided to give it a try again. My tobacco wasn't as dry as one would expect after the long term storage in its original tin, and looked surprisingly fresh. It seemed to have just the right consistency to touch that was necessary for a successful packing - which it did very well. It still retained its musty, Latakia aroma. I smoked it in a Hardcastle, sandblasted bent billiard, medium sized bowl. This is one of the two pipes I use for blends containing Latakia. I was not disappointed by any means. The tobacco had mostly the taste of Latakia, but I could taste the Burley as well. Not much of a flavoring beyond that to my taste buds. I could not detect any of the Virginia as some have previously described. Others have said there was deer tongue; no evidence of the green flecks in my tin. Some have described citrus and other flavors. I couldn't detect any. Just Latakia and Burley for me, which was not a bad thing as these days I prefer more naturally flavored smokes with very little casing or top dressing. The result was a dry smoke with zippo moisture left behind. The room note for others was not offensive. After smoking stronger Latakia blends, I've been asked by non-smokers, "What's in that pipe, goat dung?!" I didn't have that problem with Brindley's!

When I want a Latakia smoke, this is the one I would go to as it is not overbearing. I smoked Revelation way back when and I would compare Brindley's to that, however, Brindley's seems to be a better grade of tobacco (at least in my 20+ year sample). As stated, I have 2 pipes reserved for this blend as it leaves a fair amount of Latakia presence in the bowl after smoking.

I give it 3 out of 4 stars for the very well balanced tobacco that it is; even though Latakia is not one of my first chair players. A fine Latakia go-to for when the mood strikes.

augiegus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
augiegus (48)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have smoked two fo these pouches of my six that I bought from JR cigar, and have joys and regrets about this blend. The biggest joy is I like this blend of burley, latakia, and topping. Like another reviewer noted this is somewhere between the land of aromatics and land of english blend and well it is a land well occupied by me. The downside of the blend is trying to find it. I bought the Swisher version and one wonders why more places do not stock this. Well worth seeking out.

DrDNA Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDNA (58)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

Notes: Brindley's does come in several varieties -- the mixture and the slices, standard and English. They are all rather similar. The slices are more flavorful. The English version is smokier, closer to St. Bruno, whilst the standard version is just a fun, easy smoke. I am going to review the English version. Did I mention that it hasn't been produced in a long time?

Appearance: A firm pressed lightly topped dark brown flake with nut brown strands mixed in, also available as a ready rubbed mixture of medium cut ribbon.

Aroma: Sweet orange juice, lemon zest, a hint of lemony dishsoap wafting over a mild sweet nutty Virginia tobacco aroma, with a hint of smoke.

Taste: Oranges, citron, and cherry. Rather aromatic in a Lakeland way, not in a goopy way. Good Virginia tobacco flavor, walnuts, filberts, sweet chestnut, a bit soapy. Heavy. The mature Virginia leaf shines through with the topping adding strength to the smoke.

Comparisons: I would call the English mixture "Saint Bruno lite" in many respects, although that doesn't do it justice. Comparing the English to the standard mixture, the standard is a true crossover blend where the English is heavy enough to fall into the Lakeland category.

Bottom Line: Fans of Lakeland blends who find St. Bruno too strong will enjoy the English blend. English-aromatic crossover smokers who enjoy citron-orange flavor will find a winner with the standard mixture.

Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

This particular Brindley's Mixture title may be a bit confusing. There are two versions; the aromatic and the English. I have not tried the English version (with Latakia) but have had both the currently produced Reymer & Brothers tin and the much older Faber, Coe, & Gregg, Inc of New York 14 oz tin variety. (And, just as an FYI, Faber, Coe and Gregg were the Reymer brothers-for whatever that's worth.)

Anyway, the older tinned tobacco was much smoother, more flavorful and less aromatic. A real tobacco tasting treat! More of a Burley sweetness rather than an overwhelming cavendish orange flavor that I detected in the new stuff.

Again, Brindley's Mixture also comes in the English variety which I suspect another reviewer above may have described for us.

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)

Good American tobacco tasting pipe tobacco. Brindleys' has Latakia,Virginia and Burley,and a small ammount of Deer Tounge.The tobacco is cube cut,smells musty and sour in the package,(smells wonderful).It lights well,and stays lit. The billows of wafting smoke are sweet and leathery. The Latakia is great,and the Deer tounge restrained and not overpowering. I really like this old favorite.

omegapd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
omegapd (81)

A very different blend, this has some of the best cubed burley I've ever seen. It's dark, moist and looks great. If there is deer tongue in here, it doesn't stand out in color or flavor like C&D's Crooner, but I think the blend was mixed and then cased, so that could have turned the green specks brown. The casing is a little too strong for my tastes (definately orange flavored or some citrus fruit) and the whole blend is way too wet. The room aroma is wonderful and the taste is better than I expected. There's a lot of tobacco flavor underneath the orange. If this stuff dries out in a few months, I'll certainly keep smoking it. My 14 oz. "tub" from JR says nothing about Faber, Coe and Gregg but says it's imported by Swisher now. No idea who is actually making it or where it comes from...

mesacactus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mesacactus (21)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

This is a very diffent tobacco. the intense flavor that you receive from this tobacco at first light, is to say the least, suprising. The tobacco is a cube cut (I love cube cuts, they almost pack themselves), and when you fist open the container, you are greated with an almost candy like aroma. For some, this might offend, thinking they just fell into the clutches of another overly cased aromatic. Not true! though the aroma is very sweet, and at first light the inital flavor, almost an orange flavor, can be somewhat overpowering, if you take your time and allow the tobacco to settle, you will be rewarded with a full, and rewarding tobacco taste, with hint of that "orange flavor" coming in and out during the smoke. One word of advice, smoke it slow. Sip on the pipe, because if you don't, you will have a tounge bite of all tounge bites. But, sipped slow, you will never experience tounge bite. this tobacco burns fast anyway, no need to rush it. So just sit back, relax, and enjoy.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

One of my stops between newbie aromatics, and the Engish style naturals. No idea what's in it, except cube cut Burley, Va flakes (granulated cut), Deer Tongue (I've been told), and some topping. Good straightforward American style blend which actually tastes like tobacco.