This is an educated guess at the contents based both on smoking trials and a conversation with the store owner and blender about four years ago.

BrandCarmel Pipe Shop
Blended ByDoug McCoy
Blend TypeOther
ContentsLatakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
FlavoringAlcohol / Liquor
Strength
Taste
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

I added this blend and do not really have all the details of it. While on vacation in California, I stopped into this shop in downtown Carmel on the recommendation of a Forum friend who lived nearby. It is a very nice shop. It is very small, but well appointed offering all that a piper would need and some good tobacco and pipe options.

The owner, Doug McCoy, is a true piper and was very friendly. I told him where I came from and how I got to his door. I bought a couple of old tins and asked about his store blends. Being on a Latakia kick at the time, I told him that was my current preference. He handed me a bag of Ocean blend stating that it had some latakia and a little perique as well. So I bought the two ounce bag.

I smoked it often on the trip and when I got home and had nearly finished when I got another bag from a secret santa exchange in the forum. My benefactor must have thought it impossible that whoever received this gift would have tried this blend before. I mean, what are the odds. So I jarred that up and really started hitting it hard about a month ago.

Having finished my supply, I thought I might as well add it as no one else had yet. On to the tobacco itself. It reminds a little of Mississippi River by Seattle Pipe Club. The taste to me is primarily Virginia tweaked with condimental leaf. A little smoky from the lat, a little fruity/spicy from the perique and perhaps, some sour notes from an oriental. The tin aroma is fantastic, almost too fantastic for it to be just natural tobacco smell. I believe there is a topping on this one. It may be vanilla and possibly a liquer. It is subtle in light of the tobacco and tastefully done. IMO

It is a great smoking experience as it presents many shifting flavors throughout the bowl and it is pretty low maintenance. Lights up easy and smokes to the bottom every time. There are some deep nutty notes that come out strong in the midpoint, reminiscent to me, of John Cotton 1&2 Medium. I believe this likely has the same oriental varietals as was used in that blend.

It is good. I do recommend this blend even though this is not my typical flavor combination, I actually enjoyed every bowl of this.