Notes: Ye Olde Signe is a richly fermented, straight Virginia in a fine ribbon cut. The process used to produce the tobacco creates a natural tea-like tin aroma and results in a natural-tasting tobacco that has a mellow sweetness and subtle aroma. In spite of the gentle flavor, this is a very robust blend best enjoyed after a meal. See for yourself why so many longtime Dunhill fans consider this one of their very finest.

BrandDunhill
ProductionRe-release
Strength
Taste
Pleasant, Tolerable

2.9
JimInks (2059)

The Virginias have a bit of hay and grass along with some citrus. There’s also a little dark fruit, wood, bread and earth, though these facets tend to act as supporting flavors. The sweetness has a rich fermented quality as well as some aspects of tea. These qualities existed in the original version in almost the same ratios, except the previous manufacture sported a touch more depth of flavor. The other differences are that this is just a little more grassy, and there’s a very slight hint of the kind of topping found in Royal Yacht which I believe is added in the casing, and not the topping. Otherwise, it would be hard to tell this version from the older one. The nic-hit is medium. No chance of bite here. Unlike the earlier YOS, which wouldn’t get harsh, this possibly may give you a note of that if you puff very fast. This thin ribbon cut borders on being a shag, so I recommend not smoking it dry, and puffing at a slow to moderate rate. Burns fairly cool with a consistent taste from start to finish as it easily burns to ash. Leaves virtually no moisture in the bowl, and requires few relights. Has a pleasant after taste. Packs the same kind of punch that the original did once you get to the half way point, and can be an all day smoke for an experienced smoker. Three and a half stars.

Big Train Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Train (54)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

I simply cannot understand how anyone reviews this tobacco as favorable . This has totally nothing similar to the original Ye Olde Signe except the name . It consists only of the tasteless Scandanavian Virginias which have little age and no flavor at all . This tobacco simply has little character. They use these same Virginias in all of their Virginia mixtures and they are simply flat . Period . The original Ye Olde used matured Virginias that jumped off the match . It had a tea like quality that was always a treat . It seems difficult to get any taste out of this tobacco.The fact that they own the Dunhill name should not allow them to endow a tobacco with a famous name unless it , in some way , resembles it's namesake . I understand that the re-issues cannot ever be the same as the original . They should , however , be at least in the spirit of that blend .

O'Confrère Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
O'Confrère (40)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Although I have yet to be enamoured of any of the Dunhill remakes to date, that changed this week! I haven’t found a comparable Virginia blend to this new version of ‘Ye Olde Signe’ in years and can’t name a similar one on the market today. (If I’ve missed one, please, let me know!) Although I remember my shock and disappointment very well when this went out of production, I’m not too sure if my memory will serve to make any comparisons between the original and the remake. It’s been probably thirty years since I finished my last tin, but I’ll give it a brief shot.

I remember this to have been a very fine, long ribbon or shag cut of darker virginias. The new tin of the current batch touts the contents to be a dark Virginia blend, however it seems lighter to me. I’d guess it’s a mixture of red and mahogany Virginias with a good smattering of what appears to be lighter, maybe even lemon, Virginias. There is also a small portion of ribbon cut flake, which I do not recall in the earlier blend. The cut of the new version is, I think, not as long and maybe a bit wider, but that’s about all that memory allows. Did I like it then? Yes! Do I like it now? Yes! Is it the same? Unlikely.

The tobacco arrives with a humidity level of about 18%. It can be smoked immediately, but drying it a wee bit is worthwhile. Seems at its best to me at around 14-15%.

This tin was made in August of this year. The tin aroma is very subdued, slightly sweet with a hint of hay or bread. There’s bound to be some kind of casing, but I can’t pick it up in the tin or on the pallet. It takes well to the match and burns steadily. The flavour development seems to go as follows… At first light, toasty almost coffee-like tannins, a bit of (pleasant) tar, and cigar-like earthiness appear and begin developing immediately. The earthiness and depth increase as new elements appear which include both zest and nuttiness (burley?). Mid-bowl a cereal, slightly malty sweetness emerges as it becomes even deeper, richer, and hits its stride which it maintains until the last fleeting puff. This is a wonderful, very satisfying smoke, ‘old-timey,’ whatever that means, and, to this smoker, very much in an English tradition that has long been missing from the market. The aftertaste is delicious and leaves the mouth feeling clean and refreshed. It does pack a punch, but it’s not over the top.

Will definitely be putting this one back to see what it does with time.

Highly, highly recommended!

Pipe Used: Several, all reserved for Virginias

Age When Smoked: about three months

Similar Blends: The original and G,H&Co. Kendal Shag (unscented).

Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Advance warning to anyone silly enough to read my reviews... I'll be comparing this mostly to its Dunhill-blended namesake and less to how it stacks up to other, more current blends. That may seem unfair. However, my position has always been that if a blend wants to be called or compared to something, it has to bring as much of those same goods to the table as the original, or come as close as possible. This one does not... not by a long shot.

Light brown ribbons with the old familiar tea scent along with basic tobacco. No fruit or artificial topping. Smells close to the original, which I still have on hand, but not as deep. In the pipe, this performs as a decent Virginia blend, with a light sweetness and tang, although not terribly deep or complex. The trouble is that this is named Ye Olde Signe. Granted the remainder of the tin I have is well aged but the Virginias in this version seem ordinary and bereft of any real jump factor... no depth. This is just not an exciting blend, although it tastes fine. It's something to smoke, but it doesn't do the name Dunhill proud. I may be in the minority when I state that I'm not going to miss Dunhill tobaccos when they are no longer made, as Dunhill hasn't really been "Dunhill" for a long time. This has very little in common with the original, although it is a very smokable blend in its own right. So if you buy this, hopefully you haven't smoked the original because you will likely be supremely disappointed. And yes, this review is biased, so take it for what little it is worth. 1 star for the name, a weak 3 stars overall, so 2 stars is the average. If it wasn't trying to be something it absolutely isn't, I'd have fewer issues with it. Overall this one just doesn't bring anything new to the table, and worse, it doesn't bring something old to the table that it's claiming to bring.

Greekpipesmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Greekpipesmoker (129)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

My friend Maria donated me a tin when she saw i had it on my wishlist!i wanted to try this blend really bad.when you crack the tin you smell lots of virginia compoments like grass,tea ,citruses,dark fruits.comes out at a proper moisture and the ribbon cut packs and lights easy.while burning the flavours are grassy,bready,sweet tea notes, dark fruits in a very balanced way..the taste is deep and i also detected a plum casing.burns slow and cool no chance of biting.the nicotine level is medium.burns to total ash and leaves no dumbness.a really nice all day blend,totally recommended!

Age When Smoked: Straight from the tin

Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I like toppings of this nature. The kind that, for the most part, match and enhance the natural tobacco flavors. I get the distinct impression, in this case, that the topping contributes a fair amount of the overall flavor. Regardless, the flavor is very nice and somewhat rich. Sweet and fruity. A little tart and tangy with a very mild spice. Some very natural bready notes and some earth in the second half. Has a fair amount of body, but moderate in nicotine. Burns a little quick, but without too much heat. An enjoyable smoke.

Medium to strong in body. Medium to full in taste. Flavoring is mild to medium.

Pipe Used: MM Little Devil Cutty, Little Devil Acorn, Marcus

GabrielCRT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GabrielCRT (86)

The initial few smokes from a fresh tin of Ye Olde Signe were extraordinary. The tin note certainly shouts "strongly fermented rich Virginia tobaccos" with freshly baked bread. There is a semi-complex flavor profile though I taste more bright than red or stoved Virginias. Lots of citrus with some grass and bready notes upfront. Spice, tea, and some sweetness are in the background. The strength is at the low end of medium. This blend has become slightly mundane over a few weeks and is a little too much like a mix of Dunhill Flake, Elizabethan, and Royal Yacht. I think age may create a four star tobacco as the components marry but it is still recommended now.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (161)

This tastes to me like Elizabethan without the spicy Perique. Durbar without the heavier Orientals. Royal Yacht with a lighter, different touch.

This seems to be lighter Virginias compared to some of the above examples, but nevertheless still has some body that moves it to the medium range. Instead of citrus it has more of a floral sweetness to me. Or perhaps some sugar water in the casing? Never tried the original, but this does not have a true string cut as originally described.

A ribbon cut that smokes pretty cool with no real bite unless pushed.

An excellent, milder Virginia smoke for one who wants their leaf straight.

Pipe Used: Upshall, Ferndown

Age When Smoked: new tin

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Similar Blends: The above Virginia blends, but this is more of a base mix that stands on its own. Germain/Esoterica's Brighton or Cardiff too, perhaps.

Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Always wanted to try this blend. Unfortunately it went out of production before I was able to get my hands on it. Now I’m savouring the re-released Scandinavian version. This is a nice ribbon cut from dark brown Virginian leaf. It comes rather moist in the tin, but surprisingly it lit very easily. It has no bite at all. Alas, flavour wise, it’s very mild and slightly monochromatic, that is, unlike other straight Virginias it lacks that sweet and sour playfulness that make them so appealing. Many years ago, someone told me that the next best thing to this blend was G. Smith & Sons Old London 100% Virginia. That I did try and was absolutely hooked. A wonderful tobacco that, I believe, no longer exists. Indeed this new Dunhill has only a very slight resemblance to that classic and, I imagine, to the original Ye Olde Signe. None the less, this is a nice, easy going smoke. If anything, the tin artwork is very nice.

Pipe Used: French Bruyere

Age When Smoked: N/A

Purchased From: Joshua Ward

Similar Blends: Old London 100% Virginia, and Capstain blue.

Jorge Soler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jorge Soler (117)
Very Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

The tin note has something citrusy about it, but nothing remarkable. Perhaps the tobacco it contains is just too fresh. The moist content is about right. I only let my tin breath for 8 hours and then packed my pipe with it. This is a straight Virginia, but it is very easy to smoke despite the fact it wants to be smoked at a very low pace. The flavour is citrusy and grassy. I really cannot detect any casing. No tongue bite either. As you progress with your smoke, it evolves into this nutty/toasty dimension as the red/brown Virginias come into the foreground. This is quite remarkable. I am impressed. This is gonna get 4 solid stars.

Edit1 (09/12/2016) I just want to drop a few lines to say this is a very strong blend in terms of nicotine. It really makes me sweat and will turn my stomach, so I decided to smoke it in small bowls for an hour or so and move on. This blend is so tasty and full of flavour, but it is as strong as it can get, so be advised.

DeathMetal.org Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeathMetal.org (106)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

That the Dunhill blends are going away within 12-18 months is sad enough, but after the re-release of this delicious Virginia mixture, it is doubly lugubrious. You might describe this as "Elizabethan Mixture" all grown up with a heavy press turning those bright Virginias into dark, rich ones. The dominant taste here is the hybrid of molasses and late season grain that gives the pressed Virginias, like "Full Virginia Flake," their beauty. But this mixture is a hybrid between the classic Virginia flakes and the smoked tobaccos that have become popular since then. While it does not appear on the Official Description, "Ye Olde Signe" seems to contain some Dark Fired leaf and some Burley, possibly one and the same, and only as condimental. The rest is what "Elizabethan Mixture" and "Royal Yacht" do best, which is high quality Virginias matured to potency and maximum flavor. You can draw gently -- puffing is NOT encouraged -- on this blend for hours, getting that honey-molasses-oatmeal flavor in full intensity, with just a tinge of the richness of the smoked flavor. It satisfies throughout the bowl, and makes me think that radical insurgent action to save the Dunhill blends might be a moderate rather than extremist position!

Similar Blends: Samuel Gawith - Full Virginia Flake, Peterson - Irish Flake.

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Ye Old Sign- This isn't bad. It's got a sweet and sour flavor with more high notes than base. It holds its taste on cold relights and will not bite at any cadence. It's got that easy to work with Dunhill ribbon cut ,but this one doesn't seem to want to overheat or get bitter. Keeps my interest, no dull spots, easy to work with. However,,,,, I'm just not into the flavor, Tea???

I get the "Tea" taste that many talk about, I do get the bready taste and some faint Burley earthiness at times. It does remind me of a milder Royal Yacht without any topping. Now, is this as good as McClelland Virginias ? No, McClelland's Virginias are the best!

Pipe Used: cob

Age When Smoked: fresh tin open 2 weeks

Similar Blends: Closest to a mild Royal Yacht.

Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Dunhill - Ye Olde Sign.

When I opened the tin something jumped out at me that could be looked at in both a positive and negative way: there was no rush of air when I cracked the seal, or supposed seal. This had resulted in perfect moisture for imminent smoking (the positive part) but I wouldn't fancy cellaring any for a long while (negative). The ribbons are slight in their build and mostly medium brown, with a few lighter and darker ribbons mixed in. The smell from the tin isn't particularly suggestive of any sort of flavouring, it's just one of Virginia hay and grass.

The lighting of Ye Olde Sign is extremely simple: just a quick touch does the job. Then the flavour that I get is a little different to most Va's: the smoke's very rich and has some bready qualities, but what's a little different is the taste of tea. It took me a while to identify it and when I did it wasn't my palate that was first to detect it, it was my nostrils: the room-note is very tea-like. The moment I identified that the flavour became clear to me! The burn's very good but what's not so good is the temperature; even though my technique often causes hot smoke I don't think I'm entirely to blame! And finally the nicotine's quite mild from Ye Olde Sign.

This isn't a 'bad' blend, but to be frank I'm a little disappointed. I was expecting an EXTRAORDINARY smoke, to me though this is a steadfast three star blend.

Recommended.

Pipe Used: Mastro Cascia

Purchased From: The Danish Pipe Shop

Antihero Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Antihero (16)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

(Un?)fortunately I haven't had the luck to taste the old version. Apparently it was better and if Ihad known it I would possibly miss it. As it is, I'm quite happy with the new version. The overall handling is easy. The Ribbon Cut makes it easy to ignite and keep lit. The taste is that of moderately fermented Virginias, lighter and slightly darker ones, BUT with a VERY pleasant undertone (casing?) the like I've never tasted before and which makes this tobacco very unique imo. I will definitely buy it again. It burns dry and steady. Tongue bite is possible, also the taste will decline a little towards the end which is why I withhold the fourth star. But definitely worth a try for all Va-lovers!

Pipe Used: Several Briars, small and medium-sized

Age When Smoked: Fresh from tin

Purchased From: www.tabak-kontor.de

Sea Dog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sea Dog (24)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant

YOS is kind of like Royal Yacht and kind of like Elizabethan Mixture. And it's kind of its own beast at the same time. There is a topping that reminds me of RY and the Virginia does taste very similar to the one contained in EM. It's its own beast as I do feel there is some burley in there, maybe even a condimental quantity of dark fired Kentucky. The overall result is an uncomplicated, sweet and spicy, complex enough Virginia mixture that keeps me interested throughout the voyage. Being a shag cut, it burns very well. Nicotine is just right, medium to strong. The tobacco is not dark as the description affirms but with some years of aging, it will become darker.

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (139)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

I only bought this one as I was in my local b&m for a recent top of baccy and didn't have a clue what to buy and this just happened to be new in. I was hoping for something on the lines of a good earthy virginia with a possible hint of kentucky but didn't want to stray over old ground. Thus my purchase of this.

The tin note is very mild, to be honest I struggled to pick anything but I was warmed by the nice mix of dark and medium browns. It packs and lights very easily. It took me over half a tin to discern anything proper in terms of flavour but I think I got there. Since then the smoke itself begins with something ever so slightly fruity and slowly begins to deepen into something earthy and oaky. It seems to develop a certain sweetness occasionally too, perhaps licquorice. It almost reminds of a milder, more consistent St Bruno RR.

On the whole, I've grown to thoroughly enjoy this baccy, it's flavour isn't a full assault on the sense, it begins mild and slowly grows into something medium. It is a fond reminder of St. Bruno RR but is less fuller flavoured, though, unlike SBRR, it is more consistent. SBRR, IMHO, is good with moments of greatness, this is consistently great. It's so good I bought another tin the moment the funds became available.

Pipe Used: My Smoking Shop billiard

Age When Smoked: Fresh from tin

Purchased From: Cuban Cigar Club

Similar Blends: St. Bruno RR.

moniker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
moniker (95)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

A newly popped tin of Ye Olde Signe redux is filled with “perfect moisture”, gold to medium-brown ribbons that smell like old, dry yard trimmings and bulk wheat. The marketers claim it also smells like tea, and I guess I get that, too, though it’s not fragrant tea. It handles, loads, and lights OK, then it goes downhill from there, kind of scruffy and stuffy, muddled and blunt, dust bunny dry, with smoldering weed scents and flavors, along with some intermittent spices. For me, it’s dry to the point of parching if I’m not careful, just plain unpleasant, and now I wonder if this is the same VA they use in the newest version of Nightcap. If so, that would explain a lot. Yes, YOS tastes like VA, and YMMV, of course; but by now you can see where I’m going with this. Setting aside the parching, strength is just about medium. Tastes are about medium. Room note is tolerable. Aftertaste is not bad, +/- a generic VA, rather sweeter than the smoke.

I worked with this for some time before I gave up on it. With all the great VAs available today, including the likes of Dunhill’s own Flake, I ‘m stumped by this putative Ye Olde Signe redux. I’ve no desire to smoke it, and no reason to recommend it.

Pipe Used: various briars

Age When Smoked: from tin and jar

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (175)

Since I was still smoking Marlboros back when this was last produced, I cannot compare that to what I recently purchased at my local B&M. I surely wish they wouldn't charge nearly twice as much for Dunhill as they do for Peterson here, simply because it is a "premium" brand, but i digress.

On the opening of the tin, your get that lovely Virginia smell right off and it definitely translates to the room note as well. Just a nice quality Virginia stuffed into my pipe for a very satisfying smoke. it behaves well and produces a fair amount of smoke and nicotine. All in all a good tobacco. It may not be close to the original, but again I cannot offer any insight into comparing this to its original back some 3 decades or so. I would say this is recommended for what it is.

the_dalai_lama_himself Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
the_dalai_lama_himself (39)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

I like virginias a lot usually, this blend isnt bad but it's pretty straightforward tho. Not much to rave about it, although very balanced and natural tasting.. very little moisture in the tin and no drying time necessary. The brown virginias dominate with Breads, nuts, earth and a little fruit and sugar and the light virginia adds some hay and citrus however very midrange.. probably won't be purchasing again anytime soon and storing it pressed in hopes it might meld into something better. Burns well. Might be good for an outdoor smoke while the suns out or on the porch. Could be an all day smoke if you enjoy it. 3 stars because it's basic and people will like it and has a decent fullness to it.

Pastor Puff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pastor Puff (15)

Tin Note: It's Spring, you're out on the mower cutting the grass and it starts to rain. That's the tin note. It's a very pleasant odor.

Flavour: A bready, yeasty, matured Virginia with an undertone I can't quite place. It is not complex but it is a straight Virginia.

Mechanics: It's an even ribbon cut that packs and lights well. It tends to smoke hot and bites.

My Thoughts: At the time of this review I've had several bowls, 3 or maybe 5. I'm not sure how I feel about this one. The flavour is good but it's nothing special and the harshness is a big turn off. Other than that there isn't much to say. It is a bit of a disappointment compared to any other Dunhill blends and even more so when compared to Virginias from other manufactures. I've heard recently that this is Elizabethan minus perique, and if that is the case this blend absolutely needs the perique.

Pipe Used: Cob

Age When Smoked: New Tin

Purchased From: P&C

Similar Blends: Samuel Gawith - Full Virginia Flake.

steppx Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
steppx (138)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

nothing at all to do with the original. I guess its an average sort of virginia blend. But is irritating that the Dunhill people think pipe smokers are morons. This is not at all like the original Ye Olde Signe , which was, it should be said, fantastic.

Stefanos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stefanos (134)

Tin note is very interesting and quite intense. It is yeasty/bready and nutty with a stewed fruit note. It comes in a nice narrow ribbon cut, typical Dunhill style and needs maybe just a few minutes of drying. Behaves very well as all Dunhill blends and smokes at a decent pace.

It has a nice natural tobacco taste, not very sweet, mildly tangy, yeasty and bready with a touch of smokiness and wood. It leaves a mildly bitter aftertaste. Strength is medium and flavor intensity is past medium, so it is flavorful, and when you smoke it you know you are smoking. Nicotine-wise while not strong it contains a healthy dose.

A very nice uncomplicated smoke - but never dull - of dark yeasty Virginia flavours. It reminds me a little of Robert McConnels Scottish Cake though in a drier and toned down manner, after all Scottish Cake is a Vaper. Quite good actually. An excellent everyday tobacco with a nice and simple tobacco taste when nothing extraordinary is needed.

Similar Blends: Robert McConnels Scottish Cake.

Christrom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Christrom (32)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Not bad at all. It is yeasty, bready and does remind me of a strong pg tips. It packed and lit without any effort and smoked easily. Even with a charcoal filter the nicotine content was pretty weighty. It won't set your world on fire, but does give you a very dependable 'put that in your pipe and smoke it' experience.

The Sunday Evening Pipe Smoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Sunday Evening Pipe Smoker (41)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

I find this one a tough one to describe. The tin note is difficult to describe. It is less pronounced than most tin notes I've experienced. Tin note is mild, but not sweet or the usual hay note you'd associate with Virginia. Rather a dry tin note if that makes sense.

Flavour wise, my first impression is that it has some similarities to a blend like 965, but it is not quite as smooth as 965. This one has a bit more of a kick, and that includes a fairly substantial nic-kick. I also find it somewhat bitter.

Overall I'd say this: if you're after something akin to halfway between 965 and Old Dark Fired.

I ended up giving the rest of the tin away. The bitterness is just not my thing, nor the nic-kick.

NobbyR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NobbyR (79)

To me this is the most interesting of the latest Dunhill re-releases. Described as " A Dark Virginia Blend" on the lid, this is supposed to be a classic English pipe tobacco.

It's a loose ribbon cut of medium to dark brown color. Suprising for a straight Virginia blend, the delicious, sweetish tin note has hints of nuts, chocolate, aniseed, cloves and dried fruits, which makes me wonder if there's a light casing involved. However, the scent doesn't seem synthetic to me.

I prefer the Frank method for filling the bowl. Even though the tobacco seems a little moist in a fresh tin, so you might want to let it dry a little, a god charring and true light will usually do the job.

Right from the start, it's clear that this is rather a full-boddied smoke as far as taste and niccotine content are concerned. There's a complex, deep nutty, chocolaty, malty sweetness combined with dark, flowery, earthy notes that become more pronounced towards the end. Tamped down occasionally, it'll burn down evenly leaving some grayish ash.

The room note is not a crowd pleaser, but tolerable.

Pipe Used: Parker Prince

Purchased From: Local Tobacconist

Raizel_234 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Raizel_234 (7)

I've never had the original (to young for that). Taken on its own merits this is a good blend. I don't get any of the citrus notes I associate with some VA blends, but there is that grassy/hay essence here. Mostly what I got out of this was a mild sweet smoke. I'll definitely be ordering a few more tins of this stuff!

Pipe Used: Cobs and one Edwards briar

Age When Smoked: Fresb

dixcreek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dixcreek (99)

Have waited for this one to come around. Description is of fermented straight Virginia, believe that is true from the tea like tin note. That Note to be more specific puts me in mind of Elmwood teas Kentucky Blend. I don't know but it would be my guess that leaves from the entire stalk were used in this one. Red tips golden lug leaf and lemon colored trash or flying. All have a bit of a different profile but do work well. Taste is semi sweet fresh hay and maybe a hint of citrus. The fermentation process causes my mouth to tingle a bit such as with strong tea. The cut allows for easy packing and light and few relights are required. Smokes to god fine light to medium grey ash. From the content and initial reaction I feel this will cellar well. Solid 3 to 3-1/2 with potential for a 4. Good straight Va.

Pipe Used: MM morgan