A unique traditional aromatic blend of quality cube-cut Burley and Virginia flake. A small amount of Latakia and Perique.

BrandHouse of Windsor
Strength
Taste
2.1
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I've had a 2 oz tin of this opened for about 6 months, mostly to see how it might change over time. Thankfully, the airing out time dispensed with a lot of the soapy characteristic that it exhibited when fresh.

As mentioned by others, this is a nice looking cube cut burley with a dab of other condiments thrown in. When I cracked the tin, I was greeted with an obnoxious topping odor, reminiscent of the anise in Mixture #79. The flavor was soapy and irritating. But with some airing out time, the natural burley taste came through a bit more. I still found it objectionable, but it is now smokable. It's nowhere near the best burley or OTC out there and I won't miss this since it's out of production. But it's not nearly as nauseating as it once was.

If you find some of this and you insist on smoking it, let it air dry in the tin with the cover on for at least a month, preferably longer. You'll then get something that's almost decent, and something you could get from another blend without all the work involved. 1.5 stars rounded up to 2, because I found it less revolting than Mixture #79.

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (61)
Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I missed this HOW blend a couple of years ago when they were such a big deal here. Found a mail order cigar outfit this summer that still is selling the package of 8 2oz tins so got some. I have to wonder if I got a proverbial "bad batch". It's the flattest, least flavored tobacco I think I've ever had in a pipe. I smell the topping in the can but it's a plain, almost bitter smoke. Yeah it packs well, is cut nice, blah, blah, blah. First time in forever I couldn't finish a pipe! Your mileage may vary. I've enjoyed the other HOW stuff, but this was a bad experience, and I love basic burleys!

Auroraboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Auroraboy (22)
Medium Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I suppose this is either an acquired taste or maybe you're just born liking or disliking it. I fall into the latter camp. The cheap scent of dryer sheets and floral perfume made me gag when I cracked it open, much to my disappointment. If this smell is intentional, I have to assume someone likes it on their tobacco, but I think this is not for me.

XDipper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
XDipper (30)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

UPDATE TO INITIAL REVIEW 12/08/07: I'm downgrading my review to 2 stars. Everything I said in my initial review is still true. Bourbon Street is still and very serviceable and satisfactory smoke with fair to good smoking manners and very little bite. The starched shirt casing provides something a little different but not at all unpleasant. The problem is THIS STUFF LEAVES ONE HELL OF A FOOTPRINT! Despite only smoking a half dozen bowls or so of this stuff, every pipe that touched it now seems to have the ghost of starched shirt in it. I've never seen a burley leave such a footprint. Normally burley, is burley is burley and I don't really have pipes dedicated to blends I have burley pipes and aromatic pipes. That arrangement has worked well up to now. If you insist on a Bond Street remake, I would totally recommend Pegasus by Cornell and Diehl over this. And if you insist on smoking Bourbon Street be sure to dedicate a pipe strictly for this blend. INITAL REVIEW: First, Let me point out that this is a WAY preliminary review. I've smoked about four bowls of this today out of my trusty 4 digit Kaywoodie Pot. Being a burleyphile, any burley is just about guaranteed at least a two star rating and this was certainly no exception. The enourmous cube cut burley sometimes looked like it could stand a bit of rubbing out but I pressed on unabated. The floral, laundry soap, perfumy casing? Yeah it's there, upon taking a big whiff of a newly opened tub, it immediately hit me, this stuff smells like a freshly starched shirt! Sounds crazy but it's true. Kind of a soapy, very clean smell, not at all unpleasant but just rather surprising for pipe tobacco. Fortunately, starchy flavor didn't come across as strongly as the unlit tobaccos would suggest. Throughout the bowl there was an occassional little hint of something in the background (an occasional immergence of the starchy taste) but for the most part it lingered only long enough for me to quickly think "Freshly Starched Shirt!" then it was gone and the weed smoked and tasted very burley. Probably way too early to document any final thoughts but for now this is a good serviceable burley with a clean (and freshly pressed) taste. It has good smoking manners, is bite free and while the topping is a bit different, I'm sure I can warm up to this blend which overall I found totally unoffensive and very serviceable.

Nick O'Teen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nick O'Teen (90)

Tastes like cheap tobacco cased with laundry detergent.

No thanks. I threw it out.

Aldo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aldo (31)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

Cut and moisture is like most of the HOW offerings, a dry cube cut which is well behaved in the pipe.

The aroma in the tin is only slightly flowery. But upon lighting this weed up, the topping overwhelms in a taste which I can only describe as being something in between a Glade Air Freshener and a bar of scented soap. It was actually nauseating.

After the first third of the bowl, this taste backed down and the tobacco itself came through, but not in any memorable or outstanding way.

Won't bother even finishing the tin.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)

BS has a most unusual pouch aroma and taste. I can't even draw a comparison with any other tobacco I have smoked. The tobacco is very dry and yes, it does have a soapy taste. I smoked this on occasion back in the 70s when it was known as Bond Street but I think something has changed............for the worst.

As I continue to weave my way through the recently re-released golden oldies now being produced by House of Windsor, the latest stop on memory lane was Bourbon Street.

CJ was right on when he said the smell in the tin and the taste at the match are quite different. Yes, Bourbon Street does have a tobacco taste, albiet a rather cheap one to me. I was not enamored with the Burley/Bright combined with whatever the flavoring may be.

When you first pop the lid of the plastic tin (unless you bought a pouch)and take a whiff, you will swear you have just unwrapped a bar of Ivory Soap. The chunks are on the dry side and easy to pack. Bourbon Street smokes fairly cool too.

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

The tin aroma of this mixture of cubes and very short-cut, medium ribbon is a slightly earthy tobacco note along with a fruity topping.

Composed of gently sweetened light and brown burleys along with a nice helping of VAs for added richness, the flavor is companionable and satisfying. Any other tobaccos which may be present, though undoubtedly contributive to the flavor profile, are nearly negligible insofar as being detectable as distinct components. The blend is topped with a refreshingly citrusy combination of orange and vanilla, which gives the impression of an orange creamsicle.

Bourbon Street is delightful, truly unique, and lamentably extinct. It is an all-day blend which is both flavorsome and smooth. It will definitely ghost a briar and seemed best in a narrow gauge chamber.

DakotaPeacePipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DakotaPeacePipe (33)

I first smoked this decades ago when it was a Phillip Morris product and went by the name of Bond Street. I don?t know if PM changed the name to Bourbon Street when it was still in their family or if House of Windsor changed its moniker when they brought back many of the Phillip Morris products in the 90's. I have enjoyed this blend from either manufacturer regardless of the name applied to it. This is a cube cut burley, with a light flavoring. Phillip Morris used to advertise Bond Street as ?absolutely different pipe tobacco?. It is ?absolutely? difficult for me to pinpoint the light flavoring applied to this blend, all I know is I find it pleasant indeed. This burns cool with no bite, is dry out of the can and can be enjoyed all day. I will miss this blend when my supply is exhausted, will have to investigate one of the ?matches? being offered.

Wriggles Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wriggles (44)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Tolerable

Just got around to trying this stuff. To me it tastes pretty much like PA or Carter Hall, with a little flavoring. I really could not taste much of the floral notes, or the dryer sheets others have commented about. Much milder than Field & Stream, which I find an occasional pleasant smoke.

Limited recommendation, for what it costs, it doesn't seem worth the money to order it and pay for shipping. This tobacco is not available locally.

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Bourbon Street.01/03/07. I go along with everything that Pipestud,has written.It's not the best smoke on offer,but by no mean's the worst offering either. I only give this one two stars.

augiegus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
augiegus (48)

Ok if you have not tried this tobacco or the other floral like offering from HOW (Field and Stream) I say try this one. Upon opening the tin you are greeted with the familure cube cut tobacco of this manufacturer colored light brown to black. The aroma is a "unique" scent in the tin... anise seems to be the overall concensus though to me it smells a bit fermented. Upon lighting the blend one is greeted with an odd floral taste but it fades rather quicky and then it is just an burley blend with a different taste then nutty... must be the casing. The room note is pretty nice and overall this blend did not seem as flowery as Field and Stream... though I liked the flowery taste... sorta grows on you but to venture gradually into the taste try this first.

Oh one other thing the tobacco came very dry in the lil 2 oz tin. I had to douse it with quite a bit of water and mix it up with my finger and give it a day to moisturize. It is a pain in the tookus to do this but worth it just to get through the tobacco. I can not recommend trying to smoke any HOW blends bone dry which is how they seem to come thanks to poor packaging. This is something the company needs to address for it seems to really hurt them with some of their better blends (though on their bad blends nothing can save them I'm talking to you Model, Briggs, and Mapleton).

A very highly flavored blend! Has a "cool" flavor to it. (At least to me) Definitely smells floral. Burns quite dry, and didn't bite me. I was less than impressed with the taste. If you like the soapy, floral, type blends, this is decent. I won't try it again, but others seem to enjoy it.

Maimonides Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Maimonides (70)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Mild, Smooth, Not my favorite but I feel Price Wise, its a good buy.

Silver Satin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Silver Satin (5)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

This was the last tin of tobacco I tried in the sampler of HoW re-issue blends. It IS an 'Absolutely different pipe tobacco' as the tin suggests. At the zippo it is definitely soapy but this characteristic seemed to disappear as the pipe smoked down. Not a bad blend, I thought anyway. Slightly spicy about halfway down. Will probably buy it again.

Rusty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rusty (38)
Mild Strong Mild Pleasant

I had first tried Bond Street, the former name for this re-introduced HoW product, back in the '60s. It had the same soapy, floral taste as it does now, which was the major reason for my dislike of it. But, I got a 20z. tin as part of an HoW assortment, so I thought I'd give it a whirl. I got out an old Kaywoodie pipe I've had since I was 18 (35 years ago) and loaded it up. The first pipeful smoked well enough, but that taste was just not something I was used to. I resolved I would give it a full and fair chance to prove itself by smoking nothing else until the tin was gone. To that end, I got out my old Dr. G pipes and set out on the journey.

Well, guess what. I did get used to that strange taste, somewhat, and actually grew to accepting it. Somewhat. After all, it is mild, bite-free, and highly aromatic, from it's caramely pouch aroma to the sweet and rather pleasant room note. No real tobacco taste, though; it's all in the sauce.

In the end, I was happy to go back to my favored non-aromatics, but my affair with Bourbon Street was an interesting experience. I wouldn't buy it again, and I would recommend it only to those who like heavily aromatic tobacco. The taste is definitely something that requires getting used to. Whether it will find a niche in the market these days remains to be seen.

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (71)
Strong Extra Strong Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Revised 4/30/05

This is a summer blend for me. Initially, I smoked this blend in the summer and gave it a "highest recommendation" and since smoking a full (large) tin of this have amended my review.

Admittedly, I find myself enjoying some tobaccos these days that I thought I'd never smoke. I've developed a taste for the stronger G&H Lakeland flakes though I don't care for the one dimensional "fire cured" flakes, opting for the mostly VA/Burley blends. There is no accounting for taste. Tastes change, some tastes never change.

This is a cubed/rough cut mostly dark brown blend. When the P&T reviews on HOW blends this is one of the ones that was a "must try" on my list.

My taste buds are 'different' to say the least. In the past year I've really learned to enjoy Kendal Flake which is one of the most heavily scented flakes on the market. That said, Kendal Flake has a wonderful tobacco base under the flavoring.

Bourbon Street smokes strong, cool and dry all the way down the bowl. There is a taste here that reminds me of Kendal Flake. The tobacco in Bourbon Street is full, containing more than a decent bit of nicotine. From the top of the bowl to the dottle this smokes cool, dry and full for me.

However, since my initial enthusiasm of the summer months, I find that I'm reaching for this blend less and less. I guess the problem I'm starting to have is that this mixture has little tobacco flavor but lots of "flavoring" flavor. My beloved G&H blends are fine tobaccos enhanced with natural flavors. The one dimensional aspect of Bourbon Street has shown it's hand and I've downgraded this to "an occasional" smoke.

IF you like the Lakeland Flakes for the flavorings only then this can be a staple in your tobacco rotation. Bourbon Street does not bite, is very full and satisfying. But the tobacco underneath is hidden by the "Lakeland Flake" type of flavoring.

akaiser77 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
akaiser77 (52)
Strong Medium Medium Strong

I really wanted to like Bourbon Street. I ordered it after reading the reviews here and learning about the House of Windsor reissues. The comments noting this blend's perfumey, floral, and incense-like qualities intrigued me, being a lover of Mixture No. 79 and Grouse-Moor.

Imagine my disappointment when I smoked this. As with the pouch of Field and Stream I ordered at the same time, Bourbon Street was ridiculously dry in the pouch. House of Windsor should do something to keep a better moisture level in its blends. Its aroma as I packed was strange--somewhat floral, but also containing hints of the perique and latakia that are included in this mixture. It was certainly pungent, but, for me, not altogether appealing.

Upon lighting, I was greeted with a flavor that was spicy, somewhat peppery, and, well, incense-like. I can understand why some have called it floral and perfumey, but those words don't quite describe what I experienced. The smoke was harsh and rather bitter, not at all the Lakeland-esque explosion of flavor I was expecting. The nicotine level was high; this is a not a light or smooth tobacco in any sense. All in all, a big letdown.

So here I am with an almost-full pouch of Bourbon Street. Anyone interested in a trade for another tobacco can feel free to contact me at akaiser77@hotmail.com.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This gets a limp thumbs-up from me. The soapy thing is a bit forward in a new tin or pouch. I have found as with Field & Stream, to put it away for awhile and return to it when it has a little more age on it. Field & Stream had lost most of the soapy-floral flavor after about a month or so after opening. I expect this blend will do likewise. I will update this review either for or against in a month or so.

workingstiff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
workingstiff (39)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

Well this is a different smoke, the room note and pouch smell is nice. That is about all I can say positive about it, because I find it to have a soapy odd taste. There is a little tobacco flavor but not enough to offset the weird flavoring. I have to admit that the pouch kind of grew on me as I smoked it, perhaps because it kept reminding me of the times my mother would wash my mouth out with soap for swearing. I liked the cube cut and it does burn well which is a plus. THe name Bourbon Street brings up some great memories of New Orleans, which is what caused me to buy it. I love old time blends but not this one. I might try it again sometime to give it another chance, because it is very unique, but then again maybe not.

scootertrash Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scootertrash (11)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I first tried Bourbon Street a couple of years ago, before Willian Serad's review in P&T magazine. I had never smoked Bond Street, but had seen adds in old magazines & the pouch of this on a store shelf reminded me of it, so I thought I would try it. My first experience wasn't good. It was dry as could be & about a third of it had turned to dust, but that floral (soapy) smell was overwhelming. I smoked a few bowls of it and pitched the rest. After The House Of Windsor reviews in P&T magazine these tobaccos showed up in the local discount tobacco store in 2 oz. cans. Something made me try Bourbon Street again. This time around I didn't find it so offensive. The floral smell seemed more subdued in this can compared to the pouch I had previously, plus there wasn't a lot of tobacco dust. I have smoked the whole can and find it OK. It smokes cool & dry to the bottom of the bowl leaving a light grey ash. MY wife has even commented on the floral smell favorably. The House of Windsor website describes this tobacco as "A unique traditional aromatic blend of quality cube-cut Burley and Virginia flake. A small amount of Latakia and Perique". I couldn't taste the latakia & perique myself. Just aromatic burley to me. "Absolutely Different Pipe Tobacco" it is. If you like to experiment, give this a try.

caddad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
caddad (53)
Medium to Strong Strong Very Full Pleasant

This was the very first H.O.W. blend I tried and I went through the large tub last summer like candy! I started out in aromatics as a young smoker and moved to naturals later, and this is the best of both worlds. I get the natural flavor of tobacco and also the powerfull taste of....of....oh well it's yummy thats all I know. This blend led me to try many more H.O.W blends And makes me wish I lived in a part of the country that had this in every drug store.

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)

Here is an old drug store trobacco, of pretty good quality. Of course, it was formerly "Bond Street", and Bond Street's claim to fame was that it stayed lit,and I believe it had latakia? This is Burley, good burley, cube cut burley almost as good as C&D's Brigadier (which I prefer). The aromatic agent is strange,but very good and not over powering at all.This actually tastes like good tobacco. It burns down all the way to the bottom,and isn't sticky sweet cloying or wet at the bottom. I seldom had a bite, and it held it's good flavour all the way down the bowl.A very good Burley blend that is really worth a try.

hjorte_tak Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hjorte_tak (5)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

As a new pipe smoker (under a year full time) I am still learning the fine nuances of rating a tobacco. That being said, I wanted to start adding my two cents' worth.

I have smoked Field & Stream before Bourbon Street and find that I prefer Field & Stream to this blend. They pack similarly and smoke the same. There is no bite and both have a somewhat soapy flavour (at times but you actually get used to it). If you regularly smoke Virginian type tobaccos then you will really notice the difference if you try either of these.

Bourbon Street smells like fruity prunes when you open it up. The flavour is not the same, however! I leave it to the others above to discern the particular flavourings and toppings etc...but suffice it to say that the room note of this tobacco is good. I had a few positive compliments when I smoked this enjoyable offering. I'm not sorry I bought it, but it is not one of my favourites...and that's o.k. I think.

mesacactus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mesacactus (21)
Medium Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Wow! that was the first expresion I had when I first lit Bourbon Street. This was one flavorfull tobacco. This tobacco was a throwback to yesteryear. A traditionally made, American tobacco, by House of Windsor. Until I smoked this tobacco, I thought you had to use heavy flavor casing to a cavendish style tobacco, to obtain, aroma, and flavor like you do from this tobacco. I was very wrong. When you first open the container, you are enveloped in a wonderfull aroma, which best can be discribed as orchard like. A cross between a flower shop, and orange trees maybe? I don't know, but it was very nice. the tobacco, is cut in my favorit way, cube. Cube cuts for me, seem to almost pack themselves. When I placed fire from my lighter to the tobacco, that was when the "WOW" factor kicked in. It was almost overwhelming. The flavor was great, to great maybe. I just sat there, smoking, thinking I should stop, but I couldn't. So I continued, I continued till about halfway through the bowl, then the tobacco, turned. This is not a mild tobacco. It has a lota omph, and the nicotine became very noticeble halfway through. The flavor also stopped, being replaced with a rough tobacco flavor, almost as if the remnants of the original flavoring, was mixing with the tobacco flavor, causing it to become almost sour. I had to stop about two thirds down, and dump the bowl. I was disapointed. A tobacco that turns on you, can feel like a betrayal. Like when a dog turns on the master. That was how I felt about Bourbon Street. I still smoke it on occasion, but like a turning dog, I keep my distance. I just smoke it halfway down. I won't let it turn.

Very Mild Very Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

Anyone want to smoke a stick of incense in their pipe? This stuff is definitely floral and soapy too say the least! Their is some tobacco flavor but as Pipestud points out it is definitely cheap. I think the history of this blend and its very unique casing makes this tobacco relevant, but that's about it. I doubt I'll be able to finish the whole pouch.

CJ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CJ (45)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

Here's a blast from the past from The House Of Windsor. Although, I do not normally smoke aromatics, there are a few exceptions. This is one of them. The pouch aroma is loaded with flowery aromatics. In appearance, there are little chunks of what may be the Burley along with some small bright flakes, and some darker little chunks. At first, I was concerned about smoking this heavy aromatic. I filled a small Meerschaum and applied the flame. Ah! Welcome to smoking just for the fun of it. I do not taste the aromatic in the smoke. I taste tobacco, on the sweet side, but good tasting tobacco none the less, with a good amount of strength. And then comes the magic. This is one of the few blends that I can smell the aroma while smoking it. The aroma is pure magic. People in your presence will find the aroma just as enjoyable as the smoker. I find myself doing heavy puffing on this one, generating large clouds of wonder. No matter how hard I puff at it, there is absolutely no bite. There are two other fun aromatic blends that I smoke, and both are similar to Bourbon Street. One is again from The House of Windsor??-Field and Stream. The other is Pennington Gap from Cornell & Diehl. A caution is in order. Smoking any of these blends can create a very large smile, that if not careful, may cause the pipe to fall from your lips. Give this a try just for the fun of it. All I can say is Bourbon Street: Welcome Back.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Formerly sold as BondvStreet. A plain mostly Burley cube cut with Va. and light topping. Easy to pack and light, stayed lit well. Gentle easy to take flavor, could be smoked all day without bite.