C&D's high-tiered, dark-fired Burley from the fields of Kentucky. Rich and smoky in flavor, this condiment leaf can be smoked straight for a bold profile or used in your own mixtures to transform and lend depth to other Burley and Virginia components.

Notes: Primarily for use as a blending tobacco.

Blended ByCornell & Diehl
Blend TypeBurley Based
ContentsKentucky
Packaging2oz Tin
Strength
Medium, Strong
Taste
Medium, Full
Very Pleasant, Pleasant
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

Cornell & Diehl - Dark Fired Kentucky.

It's badged as Coarse Cut, often a nebulous description, but the term transpires as Very Thick Ribbons for DFK. Moisture was perfect on arrival and the pouch (I bought from bulk) has the prescribed Kentucky aroma.

The smoke: one of the best Kentucky smokes I've had. There's a tank load of Kentucky smokiness but, unless I really force my pipe it doesn't seem bitter or caustic. When gently puffed the flavour's faultless. I've smoked this with a long and short stem and the only issue in my nose-warmer was the temperature became too warm if chugged. But, complaining about that when a flavour's this good is like complaining you can't put a nail in with a screwdriver: use the right tool! It burns consistent and even, without giving me tongue bite.

Nicotine: quite strong. Room-note: pleasant.

A lovely smoke on it's own. Four stars:

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Long and short stemmed

Age When Smoked: One month

Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

t has been a couple of years since I've posted any C&D blend reviews and I have smoked nearly 100 tins of their various offerings in that time. So, it may be awhile before I get to all of them.

I picked up a couple of tins of Dark Fired because the contents made me curious. Not really a blend made to stand alone, but really fun to include with Virginia based blends for added strength. I actually made a blend I like by added 25% of this to an old '83 crop Red Ribbon tin from McCranie's. It beefed up what I consider to be a super great blend and lent little flavor of its own. I later tried it with a Latakia mixture that I enjoy (Rattray's Black Mallory), and the appeal was equally enhanced.