Notes: This blend is a re-named version of Player's Whiskey. It isn't yet clear whether it is in any way different.

BrandPlayer's
Very Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium
Taste
DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (123)

This is a re-branded version of Player's Whiskey Ready Rubbed, and everything that has been said in earlier reviews of WRR will apply here; I can't detect any difference at all between Blender's Highland and its previous avatar. It'll be interesting to see if other reviewers agree or disagree. Let no one jump to the conclusion that it's anything like the now-discontinued Sinclair's Highland Sliced. It isn't.

Why the re-branding, then? Possibly this is to anticipate the rumoured forthcoming changes in EU regulations governing tobacco additives/flavourings; possibly it's a marketing ploy to try to boost a flagging demand.* If the latter and it doesn't work, the next step will undoubtedly be the disappearance of this blend from the market; so if you like Player's Whiskey/Blender's Highland, now might be a good time to start bulk buying.

* (Update, 28 March, 2017): Since I wrote this review my tobacconist has told me that the name has changed because new EU regulations now forbid any mention of flavouring or anything that might tempt or titillate the impressionable. For the same reason, Ogden's Walnut Flake has also changed its name. I have to confess that these expedients have not deterred me from smoking.

thesmoggypipester Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thesmoggypipester (47)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Another one of the English classics now made by mac baren instead of imperial....and thank God to be honest.

Like I have said with the St bruno, imperials pipe tobaccos quality dwindled over the years , now mac baren have took over the running of things blenders highland, or players whiskey as it was known, is back up there and the quality is top notch.

Aromas opening the pack are virginia and burley with a faint whiff of whiskey, good quality tobaccos with no twigs in site.

Smoking this the flavours are quite faint but sipped slowly and appreciated this tobacco delivers very well. It can and will bite if pushed too far, as all British virginia otcs can do. But slowly sipped and appreciated and the flavours do come out and the whiskey flavour although faint does come through but only mildly.

All in all a brilliant tobacco, that although not overly complex will give a satisfying medium strength smoke.

4 stars well earned.

Pipe Used: Alco

Purchased From: Mysmokingshop.co.uk

Player's - Blenders Highland.

This review is based purely on Blenders Highland. I thought I'd maybe tried the original Players Whisky but when looking through my reviews I realised I haven't reviewed it and can't remember smoking it without doing a review, so I can't compare.

I'm not sure as to whether the U.K. mail is responsible for the presentation or if it's supposed to be this way: the mixture's been compressed so much it nearly resembles a huge Krumble Kake! Once the 'Kake' has been broken up and seperated it looks like a broken flake though: very coarse ribbons. It's a bit moist, and I'm guessing the compression hasn't helped any dampness to diminish.

At first the whiskey's on the mild side of medium, it's quite nice, but it takes about a quarter of a bowl to become clearer; still not 'strong', but more towards medium. Something that's a little perplexing is the tobaccos': it tastes of Burley, and the pouch says it contains Burley! Blenders Highland can bite me a touch if I strain it; not too bad, more of a nibble.

I find the room-note nice, albeit a bit full; the whiskey's easily noticed and the tobacco smells quite good. And finally the nicotine: medium.

I couldn't smoke this regularly, but I will recommend it:

Three stars.