Notes: This blend is a re-named version of Player's Whiskey. It isn't yet clear whether it is in any way different.

BrandPlayer's
Taste
2.6
thesmoggypipester Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thesmoggypipester (53)

So we have here a nice Virginia burley mixture, very much a rough cut, with some nice natural tobacco aromas emanating from the pouch, whiskey wise, there is a very slight aroma of the stuff, make no mistake if you are after a heavy handed whiskey cased tobacco blend you won't find it here.

packing is easy enough, it can be rubbed out more or packed as is, lighting is no big issue and the whiskey flavour is very subtle, it wafts in and out from time to time along with a caramelized sugar note here and there.

do be careful not to overdo this one on the puffing front as it will bite, but sipped and appreciated, it will reward with a nice smoke, the tobacco flavours are always there and I will be honest it will not set the world on the fire, but I do enjoy it, it does make you relax as the flavours are quite subtle so it makes you take note.

make no mistake this nothing spectacular but for what it is it's a fine example of a Virginia burley mixture with a very subtle flavour, if you tend to lean towards a more natural tobacco, and not in the mood for latakia or perique then you won't go far wrong with this.

I would say if this is your type of thing it will make a comfortable all day smoke, it's strength isn't too obnoxious, it won't floor you but it won't leave you feeling like you have just smoked air.

Room note, other smokers will probably appreciate it and find it pleasant, some non smokers may raise an eyebrow as it does produce a lot of smoke and would probably be a bit full. interestingly though I do find this goes well with a nice beer so I think it would make an ideal beer garden blend.

And that's it overall, it's nothing spectacular it's never going to get the popularity of say a Sam gawith blend, but it is a very pleasant smoke and fits in well any time of day or night, which I find it performs best in a small bowl, e.g. a falcon bulldog.

3 stars.

edit: I must say the more I go for this blend the more I like it, it is the kind of blend that once you have smoked it in the same pipe a few times and a cake is developing the flavours are magnified.

this is very much the case with this one, slowing right down and savouring the flavour really does wonders for this one.

I'm getting a more noticeable caramelized sugar note in this one and the whiskey is starting to show through.

really enjoying this blend and I do maintain it performs best in smaller narrow chambered bowls.

Pipe Used: falcon with bulldog bowl

Purchased From: Mysmokingshop.co.uk

Similar Blends: I would say if you like this, then maybe give gawith beat brown a go., it's sort of a similar ilk..

Player's - Blenders Highland.

This review is based purely on Blenders Highland. I thought I'd maybe tried the original Players Whisky but when looking through my reviews I realised I haven't reviewed it and can't remember smoking it without doing a review, so I can't compare.

I'm not sure as to whether the U.K. mail is responsible for the presentation or if it's supposed to be this way: the mixture's been compressed so much it nearly resembles a huge Krumble Kake! Once the 'Kake' has been broken up and seperated it looks like a broken flake though: very coarse ribbons. It's a bit moist, and I'm guessing the compression hasn't helped any dampness to diminish.

At first the whiskey's on the mild side of medium, it's quite nice, but it takes about a quarter of a bowl to become clearer; still not 'strong', but more towards medium. Something that's a little perplexing is the tobaccos': it tastes of Burley, and the pouch says it contains Burley! Blenders Highland can bite me a touch if I strain it; not too bad, more of a nibble.

I find the room-note nice, albeit a bit full; the whiskey's easily noticed and the tobacco smells quite good. And finally the nicotine: medium.

I couldn't smoke this regularly, but I will recommend it:

Three stars.

Pipe Used: Davorin Denovic Morta

Purchased From: My Smoking Shop

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (129)

This is a re-branded version of Player's Whiskey Ready Rubbed, and everything that has been said in earlier reviews of WRR will apply here; I can't detect any difference at all between Blender's Highland and its previous avatar. It'll be interesting to see if other reviewers agree or disagree. Let no one jump to the conclusion that it's anything like the now-discontinued Sinclair's Highland Sliced. It isn't. Nor, despite the blurb, is it an 'aromatic' in the usual sense of the term.

Why the re-branding? Possibly this is to anticipate the rumoured forthcoming changes in EU regulations governing tobacco additives/flavourings; possibly it's a marketing ploy to try to boost a flagging demand.* If the latter and it doesn't work, the next step will undoubtedly be the disappearance of this blend from the market; so if you like Player's Whiskey/Blender's Highland, now might be a good time to start bulk buying.

* (Update, 28 March, 2017): Since I wrote this review my local tobacconist has told me that the name has changed because new EU regulations now forbid any mention of flavouring or anything that might tempt or titillate the impressionable. For the same reason, Ogden's Walnut Flake has also changed its name. I have to confess that these expedients have not deterred me from smoking.

renwardhoop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renwardhoop (109)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Unnoticeable

This blend is meant to be ready rubbed, yet it seems a much coarser cut than that. As another reviewer noted, more akin to a broken flake.

There's little pouch fragrance, which I found disappointing. There is nothing to say there is whisky in here at this point. Indeed the flavouring is so mild I really only detected that there was any taste on the third or fourth bowl, after discovering this blend lends itself far better to a larger bowl.

The smoke is strangely satisfying yet and burns evenly and easily, although is little more rubbing is recommended. The moisture level seems quite high, which brought to mind some of Samuel Gawith's more wetter blends.

If you're looking for an alcohol-soaked tobacco this is not the blend for you. This is far too subtle for that. Yet there is just about enough here to just bring it slightly above the average virginia blend and would be fine as an all day smoke.

I certainly think that this blend would merit further exploration, perhaps with a larger quantity on which I based this review and it will be intresting to compare this with similar blends.

Pipe Used: All large briars

Purchased From: Cgars

Similar Blends: None spring to mind. Compare with Borkum Riff or maybe Peterson's Irish ?.

Courtney Fish Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Courtney Fish (20)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Strong

Slightly disappointed in this. Smelt like nicely alcoholic Virginia in the pack and I generally enjoy whiskey/liquor added tobacco. But after fighting to pack the over-long thin strands – which lit and burned nicely (no relights required!) – I was presented with a far too strong ‘whisky essence’ added flavour that just didn’t seem real to me (you know like those whiskey flavour sweets you buy for your kids?...) masking a rather bland, if strong tobacco flavour, which all proved rather sickly by the end of a large bowl, probably not helped by a fair amount of nicotine. It was quite bitey at the end too. The room note was a disappointment too; I like cigars, even at the budget end of the spectrum but I don’t like my pipe tobacco smelling like them. Having said all that, I didn't hate it! I just don't want to smoke it again.