Handblended, premium pressed Virginia flake pipe tobaccos. A fine vintage, naturally sweet, in limited quantity.

Notes: From tin insert: We are proud to offer our 2017 Christmas Cheer pipe tobacco, an exceptionally fine vintage tobacco, hand blended and aged in pressed cakes to develop natural mellowness. This 2017 blend is made with a special selection of rich, deep red, flue-cured Virginia from an excellent 2013 crop grown near New Hope, N.C. Superb leaf picked at peak ripeness, it is naturally sweet, rich in oils. It should age with distinction. Each buying season, we look for tobaccos of exceptional quality and distinctive character. In various combinations, their flavors, aromas, textures, contribute to the overall excellence of all our products.

The leaves of different crops and regions are combined to maintain consistency from year to year.

With Christmas Cheer pipe tobacco, we treat our discriminating customers to the singular pleasure of a tasting of the very finest in tobaccos of a particular vintage, not worrying about maintaining the flavor and appearance of this product into future years but actually striving instead to present the unique character of a single crop and area.

That's what Christmas Cheer pipe tobacco is all about. Happy Holidays!

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Manufactured ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Strength
Taste

Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Christmas Cheers 2016/2017 - I've decided to review these together as they were released at the same time. Which one is better? Well, I really have to split hairs, it's hard to tell them apart unless I smoke them back to back. The 2016 has slightly, and I mean slightly, more tang and high notes, while the 2017 is slightly more base. Both are very fine examples of McClelland Virginias. both are good on the relight, the flavor stays and doesn't get ashy. I find the 2016 has slightly more tanginess and stays most of the bowl. I find the 2017 closer to FVF, darker ,less spice. I'll try to buy more. Both are 4 star.

DAMN THE FDA for our loss of this yearly treat ,I thought we already had one Federal agency, the ATF, making tobacco rules. Next the EPA will be putting out rules requiring us to filter our exhaled smoke as we would be adding to pollution and Global warming. Will the government ever stop making useless new regulations ?

Pipe Used: cob

Age When Smoked: 1month open

Similar Blends: other Christmas Cheer blends, all great.

SuccinctSimilarities Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SuccinctSimilarities (4)
Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Very nice creamy tobacco. I would call it a mix between carter hall & dunhill nightcap (my two favorite tobaccos). Although, I am a newbie so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Can't really be smoked without at least 1 hour of drying time. I dried mine for 2-3 hours for my particular taste.

Pipe Used: Brebbia Ninja

Purchased From: Pipes&Cigars

Similar Blends: Dunhill Nightcap, Carter Hall.

SpeedyPete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SpeedyPete (29)
Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

A little bit hard to light, need some drying. But I'm careful about this, don't want to lose any flavour. I find both 2016 and 2017 best after a bit of DGT. Wonderful, awesome, excellent tobacco of very high quality. I have 5 tins and I'm going to order some more. What I do find strange is the distinct taste of perique and a healthy dose of that as well. I know it should not be and I might be wrong but.........? It does not effect the taste in a negative way for me, being a perique lover. It's only a case that this is supposed to be a pure Virginia blend. The natural VA sweetness with (for me) perique's spicy notes makes this a 100% satisfying tobacco for me.

Pipe Used: Various briars

Purchased From: 4noggins

crazy owl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
crazy owl (70)

This is my first experience with Christmas Cheer and obviously to compare with former editions is not possible.First aboard it´s a blend from the future,packed at july 2017,today is august 30 2016,magics in my pipe.Flakes are small and by rubbing we get more crumbs than ribbon.The famous or infamous McC vinegar smell is not very strong.Let´s dry 1 hour for me,crispy point,fill the bowl,fire and...the wonderful Va shinning in all its splendor.Another reviewers will come after me to describe accurately this smoking bliss.If it is so good fresh I can only dream with this stuff after aging.I am very old to wait for that,and it´s only a dream.

Pipe Used: meers