Handblended, premium pressed Virginia flake pipe tobaccos. A fine vintage, naturally sweet, in limited quantity.

Notes: From tin insert: We are proud to offer our 2017 Christmas Cheer pipe tobacco, an exceptionally fine vintage tobacco, hand blended and aged in pressed cakes to develop natural mellowness. This 2017 blend is made with a special selection of rich, deep red, flue-cured Virginia from an excellent 2013 crop grown near New Hope, N.C. Superb leaf picked at peak ripeness, it is naturally sweet, rich in oils. It should age with distinction. Each buying season, we look for tobaccos of exceptional quality and distinctive character. In various combinations, their flavors, aromas, textures, contribute to the overall excellence of all our products.

The leaves of different crops and regions are combined to maintain consistency from year to year.

With Christmas Cheer pipe tobacco, we treat our discriminating customers to the singular pleasure of a tasting of the very finest in tobaccos of a particular vintage, not worrying about maintaining the flavor and appearance of this product into future years but actually striving instead to present the unique character of a single crop and area.

That's what Christmas Cheer pipe tobacco is all about. Happy Holidays!

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Manufactured ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Strength
Taste

3.9
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Christmas Cheers 2016/2017 - I've decided to review these together as they were released at the same time. Which one is better? Well, I really have to split hairs, it's hard to tell them apart unless I smoke them back to back. The 2016 has slightly, and I mean slightly, more tang and high notes, while the 2017 is slightly more base. Both are very fine examples of McClelland Virginias. both are good on the relight, the flavor stays and doesn't get ashy. I find the 2016 has slightly more tanginess and stays most of the bowl. I find the 2017 closer to FVF, darker ,less spice. I'll try to buy more. Both are 4 star.

DAMN THE FDA for our loss of this yearly treat ,I thought we already had one Federal agency, the ATF, making tobacco rules. Next the EPA will be putting out rules requiring us to filter our exhaled smoke as we would be adding to pollution and Global warming. Will the government ever stop making useless new regulations ?

Pipe Used: cob

Age When Smoked: 1month open

Similar Blends: other Christmas Cheer blends, all great.

SuccinctSimilarities Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SuccinctSimilarities (4)
Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Very nice creamy tobacco. I would call it a mix between carter hall & dunhill nightcap (my two favorite tobaccos). Although, I am a newbie so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Can't really be smoked without at least 1 hour of drying time. I dried mine for 2-3 hours for my particular taste.

Pipe Used: Brebbia Ninja

Purchased From: Pipes&Cigars

Similar Blends: Dunhill Nightcap, Carter Hall.

Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Looks like a typical CC in the tin... medium brown broken flake with the classic McClelland fermented sileage. I alternated bowls of this with the 2016 crop, mostly because that was the only way I could pinpoint the differences between the two. They were very close, and any diffs I detected could very well have been my imagination.

Once properly dried (and again, for those who don't like the signature McClellands smell, dry out the tobacco and it will go away. It'll also smoke a lot better!)... and they both took a pretty fair investment of time to do so... this tasted like it smelled - a fairly typical McClellands CC. That's not to say these vintages weren't very good. They were. They just didn't stand out from the rest of the pack like many of them do. This seemed more along the lines of the 40th Anniversary substitute rather than a full monty CC. The 2005, for example, is a classic Virginia that I'm happy to have found multiple tins of, at no small expense. The '16 and '17 would have been excellent if I had never sampled some of the other vintages. These seemed ordinary by comparison. That said, ordinary for McClellands is better than most blenders can ever aspire to when it comes to straight Virginia. The '16 seemed to have a bit more spice to it and more upper range while the '17 seemed to have a hair more depth. It was consternating to try and distinguish these. I tossed in a bowl of 3 other vintages just to make sure I wasn't going bonkers and those 3 were quite different, both from each other and from these two. I have no doubt these will age magnificently and I have an extra tin of both. But as of now, they aren't the classic, mortgage your house for a tin, perfect example of straight Virginia blends. If you're a red VA fan, you need to try these. I'm saving my other tins for at least 10 years, and we'll see what I have to say then.

SpeedyPete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SpeedyPete (29)
Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

A little bit hard to light, need some drying. But I'm careful about this, don't want to lose any flavour. I find both 2016 and 2017 best after a bit of DGT. Wonderful, awesome, excellent tobacco of very high quality. I have 5 tins and I'm going to order some more. What I do find strange is the distinct taste of perique and a healthy dose of that as well. I know it should not be and I might be wrong but.........? It does not effect the taste in a negative way for me, being a perique lover. It's only a case that this is supposed to be a pure Virginia blend. The natural VA sweetness with (for me) perique's spicy notes makes this a 100% satisfying tobacco for me.

Pipe Used: Various briars

Purchased From: 4noggins

crazy owl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
crazy owl (73)

This is my first experience with Christmas Cheer and obviously to compare with former editions is not possible.First aboard it´s a blend from the future,packed at july 2017,today is august 30 2016,magics in my pipe.Flakes are small and by rubbing we get more crumbs than ribbon.The famous or infamous McC vinegar smell is not very strong.Let´s dry 1 hour for me,crispy point,fill the bowl,fire and...the wonderful Va shinning in all its splendor.Another reviewers will come after me to describe accurately this smoking bliss.If it is so good fresh I can only dream with this stuff after aging.I am very old to wait for that,and it´s only a dream.

Pipe Used: meers

Age When Smoked: fresh from the future

Purchased From: smokingpipes

Haccaero Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Haccaero (3)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I smoked this tobacco last summer. It Was a friend gift from Swiss. Really good. My first McClelland. I love him. I can't buy it in Italy :-\

Pryhosm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pryhosm (130)

Well Thank you FDA for implementing one of the dumbest rules ever created. I think every time Betty Crocker adds a new cake mix to their line by adding whole wheat flower or using more sugar and egg whites instead of less with yolks they should have to file a new product with the FDA and pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to do so because they altered the proportions of already approved ingredients. Now that I am off my soap box: this is a pronominal tobacco that will age well and bring me pleasure for years to come. Sadly it the last of a line. The tin note is all Virginia. It does have the standard signature McClelland ketchup/steak sauce like smell in the tin, but it is not as pronounced as some other McC VA's. I have said this in other reviews but to really get the most out of a Virginia tobacco it is best enjoyed in a Meerschaum pipe, ( I tried this one in a Morta too and similarly it performs beautifully). The cut of this tobacco does not lend itself to air pocket packing but when smoked carefully in a briar you can avoid the bite. The red flue cured Virginia's when smoked out of the tin already show the age of the 2013 crop they were picked from. The flue curing gives it a spicy character and toasty flavor profile. There are subtle hints of figs and dates along with what I would call toasted bagel. It is really excellent out of the tin and it is tempting to smoke it regularly, but alas I will not as I only got my hands on 2 tins. I will smoke a bowl or two each Christmas season until it is gone. I hope McClelland has figured out a way to provide similar offerings or our regulation hating President will kill this legislation entirely. This will not only be good for the palate but also for the small businesses the bring us such great pipe tobaccos and the online and B&M shops that rely on them to stay in business. If you can get it I would highly recommended it however it is tobacco, and you should only pay so much for it. Enjoy it those of you that got some and thank you and Merry Christmas 2017 to the good folks at McClelland.

Pipe Used: Morta, Meerschaum and cob

Age When Smoked: 4 years old (fresh tin).

Purchased From: 4 noggins