In October of 2015, while spending a day with Mark Ryan at the L.A. Poche Perique Company in St. James Parish, Louisiana. our own Russ Ouellette asked Mark if he had ever thought of trying to process Virginia in the same method as perique. Mark said that he had thought of it, but was told it wouldn't work. After a bit of conversation, Mark decided to bring down some bright, sweet, yellow, Canadian-grown Virginia to give it a try. The processing time had to be much shorter due to the aggressive fermentation due to the high sugar content, but the result, called Acadian Gold, has more depth than normal Virginia with a malty note unlike anything else.

The RO Series Acadian Gold is 100% pure Acadian Gold. Here's your opportunity to try this one-of-a-kind tobacco. Only two barrels were made, so you'll want to get yours soon before it's gone.

Brandpipesandcigars.com
Blended ByRuss Ouellette
Strength
Taste
Mild to Medium, Medium to Full

The various Virginias offer a big burst of tangy, fermented citrus with a mild malty tartness, a fair amount of grass and hay, some sugar, a very light dark fruitiness, wood and earth, a slight floral and bare spice note, and a few drops of honey and bread. The strength level is just past the center of mild to medium, while the taste is a step past that mark. The nic-hit is a tad below the strength threshold. No chance of bite or harshness, and has no rough edges. Burns cool and clean at a reasonable pace with a very consistent, deep flavor from start to finish. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. Has a very pleasant, lightly lingering after taste and room note. Can be an all day smoke, or a mixer if you’re so inclined.

incendio Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
incendio (33)

Thanks to the generosity of a friend with whom I trade tobacco by mail, I was able to try a decent sample of this blend.

The appearance is of a beautiful tan-to-olive ribbons. The draw was quite sweet on the tongue, however this wasn't apparent in the smoke. The sweet maltiness of Virginias were supplanted by a roast-malt aroma. The smoke was tart, tangy. I was reminded instantly of an "Oud Bruin."

This is a unique, tasty smoke and it's a great exploration of a tried-and-tested process on a different type of leaf. If I could buy lots of this to cellar away and age, I certainly would, however the cost of production makes it prohibitive.

I'm convinced this leaf would be a great ingredient for blending. Together with some high-quality Oriental and some Syrian Latakia it would be unbeatable, but diluting it with lower-quality condimental tobacco would certainly be a waste of time, as the qualities that this tobacco has to offer would quickly fade into the background.

Pipe Used: Ben Wade Walnut

Age When Smoked: new?

Purchased From: traded with a friend

Similar Blends: Royal Yacht processed like Dark Birds Eye with lemon juice.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (165)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Pure long shag or string cut Virginia on steroids.

Burns nice. Tastes extra tangy. Citrusy to the top. Maybe even robust for a straight Virginia, with nothing added except the special pressing process.

You must adore straight, bright Virginias to love this one. Very inventive.

Careful puffing keeps it from burning hot. Mind you it is still tangy. No bite with care.

I'm nearing the end of my tin. I also tried samples of both the Acadian VAPER (this gold plus I guess 20% perique) and Acadian English (this gold plus some Latakia). This one is as I say is a straight, stronger, orange Virginia. The VAPER I found too strong to my tastes and peppery. Others liked it more. The English was a happy medium, toned down by the Latakia but not too much.

Worth a tin even at the extra price. Pick one to your liking. When they are gone, they're gone.

Pipe Used: paul perri

Age When Smoked: new tin

Purchased From: pipesandcigars

Similar Blends: Please Union Square, MacBaren Pure Virginia, Mcclelland Virginia no. 27, Orlik Golden Sliced, but this one is stronger..

CarolinaEsquire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CarolinaEsquire (13)

"OMG, this is good!!", were not the words I expected to hear in my head upon smoking this bowl. But man, oh man, this stuff is good.

I will admit that I was curious about this blend because of its unique processing. Fermenting Virginias in its own juices in the same manner as perique? Sounds interesting. Didn't sound inexpensive, but for giggles and curiosity, I wanted to try it. I bought a few tins, as I always do. One to try, some to cellar in case I really like it. After letting it sit in the cellar for 6 months, I finally decided to crack open a tin and I am so glad I did.

But again, I didn't expect to like it as much as I am. Why? Because when I first cracked it open and took a whiff of the tin aroma, I kid you not it smelled just like a pack of sun dried tomatoes. Anyone who tells you different simply has not had eaten a pouch of sun dried tomatoes like I have and do. They're yummy...but I wouldn't want to smoke one. So holy cow. Did I want to smoke this? What would come of it? ... Magic!

This stuff is phenomenal. There is the tang that has been described. That to me is already a plus and a winner. But what really sets this apart is the pure sweetness of this leaf. I've liked McClelland 5100. I've enjoyed certain iterations of McCranie's Red Flake and found certain years to be oh so sweet. But even the best of both have not compared to the pure sweetness of this one. It's honest and mouthwatering. It's also cool and smooth. I haven't decided if this is an all-day smoke or even an everyday smoke. I think this is one of those blends that you treat yourself to every so often. To do otherwise might just spoil yourself for other Virginias.

The tobacco is presented in a dark, reddish brown ribbon. But when I fluffed it out and put it into a pint jar, you could see large chucks of the leaf still pressed into the mix of ribbons. It takes a light well and puff moderately or sipped like the treat it is, it stays lit with minimal effort and produces a sweet, tantalizing white smoke.

The nicotine hit is nice and right in the middle. I like that in a Virginia.

Now, the price may be off-putting. I get that. It was for me too. I may just wait for it go on sale....which it may not. But if the sale comes up or disposable funds come available at the right time, I am definitely getting more of this to cellar and enjoy over the years to come.

Pipe Used: Cob to draw out even more sweetness.

Age When Smoked: 6 months when opened by me.

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

denholrl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
denholrl (18)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm trying hard to like this blend (because I like and admire Russ), but the best I can do is not dislike it. I tried a bowlful given me by a friend and thought it was interesting, so I bought two tins from SP.com. I've smoked it at home, in the car, and outside and found it to taste differently in each setting, the best being at home with pipe-smoking friends (but this speaks more to psychology than to the tobacco itself). At best, I found Acadian Gold to have a pleasant sourness, like a good balsamic vinegar, and a nice grassiness; at worst, it tasted flat and a little musty. I'll finish off the two tins I have but probably won't buy more.

Pipe Used: Oom Pauls

Age When Smoked: fresh out of the tin

Bluegrassbrian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluegrassbrian (7)

Reading the back story to this tobacco piqued my curiosity something fierce. There's even a video on P&C's site, check it out.

Anyway, it's a limited supply run so the price is high. $20 A tin but I think it's worth it to try it if you are a Virginia and Vaper lover.

Upon opening the tin you get an almost violent burst of perique aroma. I'm talking bold, fermented, funky sweet, tart, juicy, wine-like. It was so strong I almost wretched, but quickly dug in with my fingers. I've never seen another ribbon like this. The color is frosty gold. It's a wonderful mix of tangled ribbon and some larger roughly chopped chunks, and it's all slathered in sweet sugary frostedness. Almost has a trichome appearance.

It's fairly moist so I let it air out a bit before drying. I let a bowls worth dry out significantly before smoking it. I was practically reluctant upon lighting because of the aroma but much to my delight the flavor is not as strong. All of the aforementioned adjectives applied to the taste but in more nuanced ways. It's a milder smoke than the tin aroma let on.

Overall it's such a unique tobacco I have to recommend it. I'm curious what a few years of age will do to it. Good job Russ and Mark!

Pipe Used: Various small briars

Age When Smoked: ~1 Year

Purchased From: P&C

Pjpiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pjpiper (2)
Very Strong Very Strong Very Full Tolerable

Beautiful light oak color and very grassy as I transferred it to a mason jar. Clung together in a rather damp wad but ... no problem. Only two re lights without any drying.

The aroma was of hay and honey. I can't think of any other way to describe it. Truly unique and pleasant tin note. The charring light was really tart, almost sour but after the relight it toned down to a citrusy, somewhat peppery strong smoke. I had to keep reminding myself to "slow down" and when I did, I really enjoyed it for about half a bowl. I would say the nic hit is fairly strong. When I truly sipped the smoke, less than 1/2 draw, it was unique and interesting. This is the "Wild Turkey" of Virginia Periques.

I will Enjoy this one tin for a long, long time. 3 stars for me.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum Calabast