In October of 2015, while spending a day with Mark Ryan at the L.A. Poche Perique Company in St. James Parish, Louisiana. our own Russ Ouellette asked Mark if he had ever thought of trying to process Virginia in the same method as perique. Mark said that he had thought of it, but was told it wouldn't work. After a bit of conversation, Mark decided to bring down some bright, sweet, yellow, Canadian-grown Virginia to give it a try. The processing time had to be much shorter due to the aggressive fermentation due to the high sugar content, but the result, called Acadian Gold, has more depth than normal Virginia with a malty note unlike anything else.

The RO Series Acadian Gold is 100% pure Acadian Gold. Here's your opportunity to try this one-of-a-kind tobacco. Only two barrels were made, so you'll want to get yours soon before it's gone.

Brandpipesandcigars.com
Blended ByRuss Ouellette
Strength
Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium, Medium to Strong, Very Strong
Taste
2.6
JimInks (2059)

The various Virginias offer a big burst of tangy, fermented citrus with a mild malty tartness, a fair amount of grass and hay, some sugar, a very light dark fruitiness, wood and earth, a slight floral and bare spice note, and a few drops of honey and bread. The strength level is just past the center of mild to medium, while the taste is a step past that mark. The nic-hit is a tad below the strength threshold. No chance of bite or harshness, and has no rough edges. Burns cool and clean at a reasonable pace with a very consistent, deep flavor from start to finish. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. Has a very pleasant, lightly lingering after taste and room note. Can be an all day smoke, or a mixer if you’re so inclined.

incendio Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
incendio (28)

Thanks to the generosity of a friend with whom I trade tobacco by mail, I was able to try a decent sample of this blend.

The appearance is of a beautiful tan-to-olive ribbons. The draw was quite sweet on the tongue, however this wasn't apparent in the smoke. The sweet maltiness of Virginias were supplanted by a roast-malt aroma. The smoke was tart, tangy. I was reminded instantly of an "Oud Bruin."

This is a unique, tasty smoke and it's a great exploration of a tried-and-tested process on a different type of leaf. If I could buy lots of this to cellar away and age, I certainly would, however the cost of production makes it prohibitive.

I'm convinced this leaf would be a great ingredient for blending. Together with some high-quality Oriental and some Syrian Latakia it would be unbeatable, but diluting it with lower-quality condimental tobacco would certainly be a waste of time, as the qualities that this tobacco has to offer would quickly fade into the background.

Pipe Used: Ben Wade Walnut

Age When Smoked: new?

Purchased From: traded with a friend

Similar Blends: Royal Yacht processed like Dark Birds Eye with lemon juice.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (161)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Pure long shag or string cut Virginia on steroids.

Burns nice. Tastes extra tangy. Citrusy to the top. Maybe even robust for a straight Virginia, with nothing added except the special pressing process.

You must adore straight, bright Virginias to love this one. Very inventive.

Careful puffing keeps it from burning hot. Mind you it is still tangy. No bite with care.

I'm nearing the end of my tin. I also tried samples of both the Acadian VAPER (this gold plus I guess 20% perique) and Acadian English (this gold plus some Latakia). This one is as I say is a straight, stronger, orange Virginia. The VAPER I found too strong to my tastes and peppery. Others liked it more. The English was a happy medium, toned down by the Latakia but not too much.

Worth a tin even at the extra price. Pick one to your liking. When they are gone, they're gone.

Pipe Used: paul perri

Age When Smoked: new tin

Purchased From: pipesandcigars

Similar Blends: Please Union Square, MacBaren Pure Virginia, Mcclelland Virginia no. 27, Orlik Golden Sliced, but this one is stronger..

denholrl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
denholrl (14)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm trying hard to like this blend (because I like and admire Russ), but the best I can do is not dislike it. I tried a bowlful given me by a friend and thought it was interesting, so I bought two tins from SP.com. I've smoked it at home, in the car, and outside and found it to taste differently in each setting, the best being at home with pipe-smoking friends (but this speaks more to psychology than to the tobacco itself). At best, I found Acadian Gold to have a pleasant sourness, like a good balsamic vinegar, and a nice grassiness; at worst, it tasted flat and a little musty. I'll finish off the two tins I have but probably won't buy more.

Pipe Used: Oom Pauls

Age When Smoked: fresh out of the tin

Pjpiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pjpiper (2)
Very Strong Very Strong Very Full Tolerable

Beautiful light oak color and very grassy as I transferred it to a mason jar. Clung together in a rather damp wad but ... no problem. Only two re lights without any drying.

The aroma was of hay and honey. I can't think of any other way to describe it. Truly unique and pleasant tin note. The charring light was really tart, almost sour but after the relight it toned down to a citrusy, somewhat peppery strong smoke. I had to keep reminding myself to "slow down" and when I did, I really enjoyed it for about half a bowl. I would say the nic hit is fairly strong. When I truly sipped the smoke, less than 1/2 draw, it was unique and interesting. This is the "Wild Turkey" of Virginia Periques.

I will Enjoy this one tin for a long, long time. 3 stars for me.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum Calabast