Wild Hare is a whimsical aromatic pipe tobacco that's sure to please. A blend of Virginia that's been processed in the Cavendish method, along with a dark, black Cavendish that's been given a room-pleasing aroma a gentle flavor, this is definitely an all-day type of blend. This is one wild hare you'll want to follow down the rabbit hole.

BrandLane Limited
Strength
Taste

Dennis Madison Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dennis Madison (2)

This was another of my random tobacco picks based solely on the label and what a great surprise it was! I normally smoke English blends and I don't fond this too aromatic compared to other aromatics. It has a nice smell in the tin mostly of the... Cavendish and Burley with a very slight vanilla or Plumb smell. It packs and burns really well. The smoke is just like the smell and there is zero bite. I'd call it a light to medium in strength. Definitely something you could smoke more than one bowl of in a day. I love finding hidden gems like this!

Pipe Used: Chacom Carbon Fiber

eon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
eon (9)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

This is an outstanding blend that I feel needs to be recommended for wider audience. I should start this review with a disclaimer that I am by no means an aromatic smoker, nor an expert in the genre. In fact, it is the only aromatic in my current rotation of straight Virginias and Virginia-Perique blends and an odd Scottish mixture. My reason for purchasing a tin of Wild Hare was wanting to branch out a little, get a change of pace, and gain some personal experience with aromatics that tend to get a lot of bad press. I guess I got lucky because to my palate, Wild Hare is nothing short of spectacular!

Why so? To begin with the practicalities, it is one of the best burning tobaccos I have ever tried. I began cautiously by drying it out for half an hour before every bowl. It takes the light and burns with minimum of matches to the very end. Clean, dry, and pleasant. In fact, I have come to the habit of smoking it straight out of the tin without any airing time - something I rarely do with any of my regular blends. The results have been consistent every single time. Like all aromatics it most certainly ghosts the pipe so having one dedicated is a must. Mine is a diminutive Danish Rhodesian with a very conical chamber. But the ghost it leaves is almost worth a star by itself. It simply smells delicious!

What about the taste? One often hears of overly sweet, artificial tasting aromatics. To my palate, the Wild Hare is the very opposite of this characterization. The vanilla is there, with subtle sugars in the background. But it is by no means overpowering the gentle Cavendish-Virginia that makes up the bulk of this blend. Each sip is creamy smooth with a pleasant lingering aftertaste.

Not an everyday smoke for me, certainly. But like a good dessert wine or a gelato, the Wild Hare that never fails to bring a smile when I do reach for it. I can thus wholeheartedly recommend this to anyone wanting to venture off the beaten path of unflavored blends for an occasional treat.

As an added bonus, the tin art is one of the finest in recent memory!

Pipe Used: Small Danish Rhodesian

Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

Lane Limited - Wild Hare.

Now, I often say how I love a sticky vanilla aromatic, but this doesn't exactly do it for me. It's not 'bad', I just find it boring.

The ribbons a quite delicate, and too damp when fresh. Of the constituents the Black Cavendish occupies the least room, about 20-25%. The smell is strongly aromatic.

The flavour from Wild Hare is one of very sweet vanilla. The sweet addition's equal to the vanilla, at first, gaining strength throughout a bowl, becoming stronger. The light Cavendish gives the most of the tobacco flavour, honey-sweet, with just a whisper of Burley. The burn from it's inordinately cool, not requiring much maintenance/re-lights.

Nicotine: mild to medium. Room-note: pleasant.

Two stars: