Hearth & Home Signature Sweet & Smoky is a different kind of crossover blend - a subtly aromatic English. This mixture of Virginia, burley, black cavendish, and latakia has a warm essence added to it, just enough to add a pleasant sweetness to the flavor and to tame down the smokiness of the aroma.

BrandHearth & Home
Blended ByRuss Ouellette
Manufactured ByLane Limited
Blend TypeAmerican
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley, Latakia, Virginia
Packaging50 grams Tin
Strength
Taste
Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium, Medium to Full
JimInks (2042)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

The earthy, very nutty, molasses sweet burley is a major player. The stoved Virginia has fermented dark fruit, is sugary sweet with some earth, and leads the grassy, citrusy, bright Virginia. The smokey, woody sweet Cyprian latakia plays a support role, as does the unsweetened brown sugar black cavendish. No chance of bite, and has no harsh spots. The nic-hit is just past the mild threshold. I detect a sweet topping, but am not sure what it is. Mildly complex, it burns at a moderate pace, cool and clean with a very smoothly, sweet consistent flavor. Requires an average number of relights, and leaves little moisture in the bowl. The very pleasantly sweet after taste and room notes linger a little. An easy going all day aromatic American English smoke.

Stinkypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stinkypipe (156)

I wish my palate is as sensitive as Mr. Inks from his below review. My old worn out palate did not ge all those wonderful flavors Mr. Inks received. Now this was fresh right out of the tin and I expect once this has aired out a bit and gotten some age in it the flavors will be enhanced. This is a very dark blend that once opened from the tin had a small amount of moisture but had a wonderful smoky smell. For me this blend lit so easy and burned so nice. The aroma of the smoke was well smoky. It really did have a room note of a fireplace burning. Now the taste I received was more wood smoke than anything else. Unfortunately there was no sweet for me throughout the entire smoke. I expect sweetness will increase as this blend ages. Regardless of the lack of any sweetness for me this was a very nice enjoyable smoke. I would call this perhaps Forg Morton with out the vinagary flavors or Northwoods with out the sweet hay and baked bread flavor. This is a good smoke and I expect as it ages it will only get better. Is it an aromatic or an English or American blend. Frankly....who cares! It is good period!

Pipe Used: Joh dublin

Skibbereen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skibbereen (19)

This is the third review I've done on one of Russ O's H.H. series. My oh my...I don't know what it is about adding Burley to Virginia and Latakia and then throwing in some Black Cavendish but it sure does work out well. This blend packs well. As I've said before...I use a tobacco grinder on all my blends. When you open the tin you get you that leathery, peppery, musky smell of a traditional English blend. Upon lighting you get that traditional English taste. The Virginias stay in the background all the way thru the bowl. You always sense them...but they always stay subdued. It's the Burley and Latakia that really let you know they are in charge...with the Black Cavendish bringing up the rear to make this blend really smooth. A real tasty, smooth smoke. It does get just a tad bland about three quarters of the way thru the bowl...but the flavor does hang in there...albeit just a tad less. Burns rather clean all the way to the bottom with no dottle at the end. Mild to medium nic hit. Just a real tasty, smooth, pleasant smoke. I bet this will age well. If you try this I bet it will end up in your regular rotation. Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Peterson No. 3 bent pre-1948; Meerschaum

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Similar Blends: Samuel Gawith - Skiff Mixture, Hearth & Home - Match Balkan Sobranie, Brebbia - Balkan (Mixture No. 10).

King Weed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King Weed (110)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Sweet and Smokey - two words that I don't say together very often (if ever) and I don't remember ever seeking or smoking a sweet and smokey blend. I've been known to seek and smoke aromatic English blends, but they're not sweet. I didn't find this blend to be sweet, but, I did find it to be smokey with a strong Burley component that led the charge all the way and all the time and that's okay by me. The upper third of the bowl was a solid smoke with others trying to challenge the Burley for dominance but, with little success. This effort culminated in a rich Burley-dominated English smoke of four star quality. In the middle third things quieted down somewhat to an enjoyable medium English smoke. Then a surprise on entering the bottom third with a sudden and brief return to the delightful richness of the upper third. After that we trailed off to a tamer and more neutral finish. All in all, I rate Sweet and Smokey as the best American English that I have ever lit up - four stars and thank you, again, Russ.

Pipe Used: LX Ashton Pebble Grain Dublin

Age When Smoked: current

Purchased From: another pipe smoker

Similar Blends: a more sophisticated version of Cornell and Diehl Odessa, or, a version of Dunhill 965 with a big Burley hit in it..